History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 15
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 15
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
"Respectfully yours, WILLIAM BELL."
The question as to the time when and by whom the road was constructed, appears to have been satisfactorily answered by Judge Foote, through the Fredonia Censor. His letter is dated February 10, 1871. He first notices the traditionary statement that in 1782 an army of 300 British and 500 Indians, with 12 pieces of artillery, spent the months of June and July around Chautauqua lake, preparatory to floating down the Connewango and Allegany rivers to attack Fort Pitt. And it was stated that "the British left a four-pounder on the shores of Chautauqua lake, from 1782 to 1784." These statements were founded on tradition, said to be from a copy of a letter from Gen. Irvine to Gen. Washington. In reference to this the Judge says :
" I have searched the libraries of historical societies in vain for proof of a British army having been encamped about Chautauqua lake. It was only eighteen years from the time the British army is said to have encamped on the lake to the commencement of the settlement of the county, and less than that when the lake shores were traversed by the surveyors ; but I have never been able to find any one who had seen any evidence of such an encampment on that lake."
On the subject of the portage road, he says :
" We have, however, I think, reliable information relative to the opening of a portage road from the mouth of Chautauqua creek, on Lake Erie, to the head of Chautauqua lake, about 118 years ago, by the French. The evidence is derived from an affidavit made by Stephen Coffin, an American who was taken prisoner by the French and Indians, and finally enlisted in the French army, and was with the army when the portage road was opened. I will give a brief of the affidavit taken before Sir William Johnson, in January, 1754. There is corroborative testimony of the material facts de- veloped in the affidavit." [The substance of this affidavit has been given in Mr. Edson's Historical Sketch, p. 38.]
ROAD FROM PENNSYLVANIA TO CHAUTAUQUA LAKE.
The first road from Pennsylvania to Chautauqua lake, at what was after- wards called " Miles' Landing," was opened at a very early date. One of the party who performed the labor was Robert Miles, who certified to the follow- ing description :
" The road commenced at my father's in the present town of Sugar Grove,
1
118
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
near where Frederick Miles now lives, and passed a little east of where the senior Devereaux first settled in Busti, and over the hills, and near where Josiah Palmeter lives, and also near where Samuel Griffith settled ; and crossed the present Jamestown and Mayville road, on the west side of the lake, a little west of where sheriff Judson Southland now resides, and came to the lake at the mouth of the little creek on the lake shore at Uriah Bent- ley's. The road was used for many years for the people of Pennsylvania to go to Chautauqua lake, and for the first settlers on the lake to go to Penn- sylvania for provisions, etc. The Mileses made a large canoe on the hill westerly of where Devereaux settled, out of a pine tree, and drew it over the road to Chautauqua lake ; and the hill where the canoe was made was called by the early settlers "canoe tree hill." The road was opened about 1805. There were a few settlers in Warren county, Pa., before there were any in Chautauqua county ; and the early settlers about Chautauqua lake not unfre- quently went to Pennsylvania for seed potatoes, oats, wheat, etc., and for cows, hogs, etc., when commencing in the woods. My father helped build the first log house at Mayville, near the present steamboat landing, (before McIntyre came there,) for a man by the name of Sherman. Robt. Miles, Sr., died in 1810, aged 57, near the present village of Sugar Grove, on the farm now owned by my brother Frederick. ROBERT MILES."
MAYVILLE AND CATTARAUGUS ROAD.
In 1813, the Holland Land Company made a survey of a road from May- ville easterly to Ischua, Cattaraugus county, a distance of 60 miles, and cut out, bridged, and made it passable to Love's, one mile south of Sinclairville. From that place to its eastern terminus, the country was an entire forest, with the exception of the opening at Bentley's on the Connewango.
In May, 1814, Capt. Anson Leet, Henry Walker, Bela Todd, Dexter Barnes, Henry Barnhart, Oliver Cleland, Nathan Cleland, and a few others, most or all from what is now Stockton, were employed by the Company to construct the remaining part of the road. Capt. Leet, eminently qualified for the task, was chief command, and John West was chief cook. A good movable tent and utensils, and all necessary fixtures for encamping, were provided. Several yoke of oxen were used by them in removing heavy fallen timber and building bridges, etc. ; and three cows with their calves were taken to aid the boarding department. The calves were tied by straps to small trees ; and herdmen know that, unless compelled, cows will not go far from their young ; hence they were useful in keeping all their cattle within hearing of the bells strapped on the necks of some of the oxen .. The cows would not generally go within reach of their calves when fastened closely to the trees ; and the calves seldom received more than their proper share of food ; but if opportunity presented, they would, like some of our late con- gressmen, appropriate to themselves a luscious supply of "back pay."
Pasturage at that season of the year was abundant : nature covered the ground with beautiful foliage, of which only the early settlers have proper conceptions. From the length of the road and the time taken to do it, they could only remove the fallen trees, cut away the bushes and small timber, and grade the knolls. There were many streams to be bridged, marshes
119
EARLY MAILS AND MAIL ROUTES.
requiring corduroy road; and as black ash timber was plenty and easily worked, the Land Company allowed it to be split into rails and covered with dirt, the bridges being built with logs and poles.
This party consisted of men in the strength and vigor of early manhood, and had, on the 4th of July, reached what was then by survey the village of Ellicottville in embryo. Though distant from home and society and the church-going bell, they had observed their sabbaths as days of rest, if not of worship. War was raging between our country and England; and the dis- tant rumble of cannon from Buffalo and the lake aroused their patriotism ; and they resolved to celebrate the Fourth. Dexter Barnes was orator ; Deacon Walker, chaplain ; and Henry Barnhart, with associates, were to make all the military demonstrations at their command. Of course the speech of the orator was brief, but it was characteristic of one who was full of life and hope. The prayer was from one whose piety was undoubted, but not offen- sive. Like a Christian patriot he remembered his country then in a san- guinary struggle with a formidable foe for the rights of her citizens. He remembered home and friends, and prayed that a religious influence might ever characterize the place they then consecrated.
The party thence worked onward to Ischua, which place they reached late in September, and then in company returned home. Having faithfully dis- charged their trust, they went to the office, where they received the congrat- ulations of their faithful friend, Mr. Peacock, as also their full pay. The honored agent is still living, [October, 1875,] as are Mr. West, Mr. Barnhart, Mr. O. Cleland, and Mr. N. Cleland.
EARLY MAILS AND MAIL ROUTES.
IN consequence of the burning of a portion of the records of the General Post-Office at Washington, in the war of 1812, the history of the early mail routes and post-offices in this part of the country is not easily obtained. It has been ascertained, however, that a post-office was established at Buffalo, by the name of Buffalo Creek, as a private office, (not then on any mail route,) in the latter part of the year 1804, and that Erastus Granger was appointed postmaster. He received the income of the office as a compen- sation for carrying the mail to and from the Niagara post-office. The nearest offices were at Batavia, Niagara, and Erie, Penn. Mr. Granger held the office until 1818, when he was superseded by Julius Guiteau.
Stephen Bates, of Canandaigua, was contractor in 1801-2-3, for carrying the mail west once in two weeks. At or before this contract closed, the mail route had been extended to Niagara. In 1804, Baker and Seeley became contractors, and continued such until Oct. 1, 1805, the mail being carried once in two weeks by John Metcalf, of Canandaigua, sub-contractor. In 1805, Gideon Granger being postmaster-general, the route was extended
120
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
to Buffalo Creek, and an additional $100 a year was allowed Metcalf, who himself, in July of this year, took the contract at the rate of $550 a year, to commence the Ist of October. By the terms of this contract, he was required, in going to Niagara, to transport the mail, once in two weeks, by the way of New Amsterdam, [the Holland Company's name for Buffalo ;] but in returning omitted Buffalo, pursuing his old route from Niagara to Canandaigua, by the way of Cold Spring and Batavia. The first returns from the Buffalo Creek post-office, made July 1, 1805, about 7 months from its establishment, showed a balance due the general government of $11.84.
The first stage from Canandaigua to Buffalo was run by Metcalf in 1807. He applied to the legislature for the exclusive privilege. A committee re- ported favorably. The line from Albany running only to Canandaigua, travelers were there left, liable to long detention or to imposition in hiring carriages to take them on. Hence the committee concluded "that the prayer of the petitioner be granted," and reported a bill which was passed without opposition, in April, 1807. All other persons were prohibited from running carriages for hire, under a penalty of $500. Metcalf was to keep three wagons and three stage sleighs, and the requisite number of horses. The fare was not to exceed 6 cents a mile for a passage and 14 pounds of baggage; and every additional 150 pounds weight of baggage was to be charged 6 cents a mile, or in that proportion.
The stages were to run regularly on stated days ; and from the Ist day of July to the Ist day of October, the route was to be performed at least once a week, except in cases of unavoidable accidents. Only seven passengers were to be taken in a stage at one time, unless by their unanimous consent. If a greater number applied, an extra carriage for four passengers was to be sent. The stages then run from Albany to Canandaigua twice a week ; and the distance was made from place to place in four days.
The post-office at Erie was established about the year 1798, at the termi- nation of a two weeks' mail route from Pittsburgh to Erie. The quarterly returns for April, 1805, showed a balance due the general government of $16.28.
Previous to 1806, the few settlers in Chautauqua county were dependent for mail facilities on the post-offices at Erie and Buffalo. In 1805, a post route was established between the Buffalo Creek and Erie, then called Presque Isle, [pronounced in French, Presk Ele,] John Metcalf being con- tractor ; the mail to be carried once in two weeks, and to commence in the forepart of 1806. The mail, it is said, was carried by a footman, at first, in a pocket handkerchief, afterwards in a hand mail-bag. The first post-office in Chautauqua county was established May 6, 1806, in the present town of Westfield ; James McMahan, postmaster; the name of the office, Chautauqua. It was kept on the west side of the creek, at the old Cross Roads. Col. McMahan held the office until 1818, when it was removed to the east side of the creek, and Fenn Demming was appointed postmaster.
The second post-office in the county was the Canadaway post-office,
I21
EARLY MAILS AND MAIL ROUTES.
established June 18, 1706, near the center of the present town of Sheridan, about 4 miles east of Fredonia ; postmaster, Orsamus Holmes, a soldier of the Revolution, and a pioneer settler of the county. The town of Chau- tauqua, in the county of Genesee, then composed all the territory subse- quently constituting the present county of Chautauqua, except the towns in range 10, which were annexed in the formation of the county in 1804. For some years, these two were the only post-offices in the county ; and this mail route was the only one in the county for about ten years. From Oct. 1, 1807, to Oct. 1, 1809, on contract with Edward Fetherly, postmaster at Jefferson, Ohio, the mail was carried on horseback from Erie to New Amsterdam, [Buffalo,] once in two weeks, for $140 per annum.
The third post-office in the county was the Pomfret office, established May 6, 1809, where Fredonia now is, then called Canadaway ; Samuel Berry, postmaster. Previously to the organization of Pomfret, in 1808, embracing ranges 10 and 11, and two townships of range 12, an indefinite portion of the county about the Canadaway village and post-office was, in 1817, changed to Fredonia.
Jacob Houghton, an early lawyer from Rensselaer county, was appointed postmaster of Pomfret, August 19, 1813. Having removed to Mayville, he was succeeded, in 1816, by Mosely W. Abell, from Buffalo in 1814. The office was kept in the inn of Mosely W. and Thomas G. Abell, on the pres- ent site of the Taylor House. This became one of the principal stage-houses between Buffalo and Erie. The balance due the general post-office for the first quarter of this year, [April 1, 1817,] was $68.37, at that time the largest amount returned from any office in the county. The names of those who have since held the office are Orrin McCluer, (six years,) Charles J. Orton, son of Judge Philo Orton, John Z. Saxton, Ebenezer A. Lester, Daniel Douglas, Levi L. Pratt, editor and printer, June 1, 1849 ; O. W. Johnson, July 20, 1853 ; Lorenzo Morris, May 15, 1855 ; Charles J. Orton, April 17, 1861 ; Willard Mckinstry, printer, July 1, 1862 ; Melvin H. Taylor, 1871.
John Gray, postmaster, of Erie, contracted to carry the mail on horse- back, once in two weeks, from Buffalo to Cleveland, from October, 1811, to December, 1814, for $950 a year. [Postmasters were not then, as now, prohibited from being contractors.]
By an act of Congress, the postmaster-general was required to furnish mail facilities to the seat of justice in every county. Chautauqua county having become fully organized in 1811, Mayville became entitled to a post-office, which was established July 1, 1812, and Casper Rouse, who transported the mail to and from Chautauqua, [old Cross Roads,] for a number of years, for the emoluments of the office, was appointed postmaster. Mr. Rouse died December 25, 1812, less than six months from the date of his appointment. Anselm Pot- ter was appointed to succeed Mr. Rouse, but declining the office, Charles B. Rouse was appointed, February 12, 1813. The office has since been held by George McGonagle, appointed November 1, 1816; Jedediah Tracy, May 29, 1819 ; Jesse Brooks, July 1, 1834; Russell Sackett, 1841 ; Col. E. W.
122
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Taylor, in 1845; Stephen A. Beavis, in 1849; Jesse Brooks, in 1853; Waite J. Stevens, 1866 ; Egbert Denton, 1867.
For six years prior to the Ist of January, 1817, nearly the entire popula- tion of the county south of "the ridge," received and sent their mail matter at the Mayville post-office, some of the inhabitants residing at a distance of thirty miles. People from every neighborhood frequently visiting the land- office, attending courts, and transacting business, the settlers had frequent opportunities of sending for their letters and papers. Many letters from their friends at the East, were brought by immigrants.
Cattaraugus post-office, at the ferry across Cattaraugus creek, on the Buffalo and Erie road, was established, June 1, 1812, Foster Young, post- master. He was succeeded by John Mack, innkeeper, July 28, 1814. [Office discontinued December 4, 1817.]
Burgettstown post-office was established at the site of the present village of North-east, Pa., in May, 1812, Andrew Stevenson, postmaster. Balance due the general post-office the first quarter, $3.20.
When, after war was declared against England, it became necessary to send dispatches through the country with greater rapidity, the mail between Albany and Buffalo was required to be carried at the rate of 100 miles in twenty-four hours ; and the postmaster at Buffalo was directed to dispatch an express mail, twice a week, from Buffalo to Cleveland, " to go and return as soon as the roads would permit." Int 1813, the government established an express by riders on horseback, by way of Carlisle and Williamsport, Pa., and Bath and Dansville, N. Y., to Buffalo, "to pass over the route in four days and eighteen hours." The term " express," applied to anything moving at this rate at the present day, would sound very strange.
Richard Williams, a pioneer settler and innkeeper of Portland, was a sub- contractor, under Gray, to carry the mail from Buffalo to Erie on horseback. This service was mostly performed by his son, Abner Williams, until Com. Perry's fleet sailed from Erie to attack the British fleet on the lake, when young Williams volunteered on board the Lawrence, and was killed in the action on the 10th of September, 1813. Richard Williams, while carrying the mail, once arrived with it from Erie, sick. His wife, Sophia Williams, took the mail, and set out on horseback for Buffalo. It was in the time of the spring freshet when the streams were swollen far beyond their usual limits. She swam her horse across the Cattaraugus, the Eighteen Mile, and the Buffalo creeks, holding the mail above the water, and delivered it at Buffalo in time. She also occasionally rode the mail horse between Buffalo and Erie when her husband and the sons were hurried on the farm. In 1814, Richard Williams contracted to carry the mail from Buffalo to Erie, by the way of Mayville, on horseback, once a week, for $650 a year, from January 1, 1815, to January 1, 1818. In 1816 was established a mail route from Meadville, Pa., by way of the forks of Oil creek, Warren, and the out- let of Chautauqua lake, to Mayville, once a week, on horseback, for three years, at $420 a year.
123
EARLY MAILS AND MAIL ROUTES.
Jamestown post-office was established December 13, 1816, and Judge James Prendergast, a pioneer settler, appointed postmaster. The office was kept in the store of J. & M. Prendergast, the first store erected in the village, at the north-west corner of Main and First streets, since occupied by the building of Dascum Allen. The balance due the general post-office at the end of the first quarter, April 1, 1817, $5.54. Judge Prendergast was succeeded by Dr. Laban Hazeltine, October 24, 1824, who was succeeded, June 13, 1829, by Elial T. Foote, the first settled physician in Jamestown, who held the office twelve years, and who was the first postmaster in the county that introduced letter-boxes for individuals, commencing with eighty boxes in 1829. No rent was charged for the boxes during his official term, and for several years after. He also used the first engraved letter stamps in the county. Alvin Plumb, an early merchant of Jamestown, was appointed, June 8, 1841. Having been elected county clerk, he resigned, and was suc- ceeded by Joseph Kenyon, December 5, 1843. He was a druggist at James- town, and an early pioneer in Sheridan. He was succeeded by Franklin H. Wait, October 4, 1844 ; Eliphalet L. Tinker, an early settler and merchant in Westfield, was appointed October 1, 1848 ; Smith Seymour, July 1, 1849; Rufus Pier, a hatter and an early resident, July 1, 1853 ; Charles L. Harris, July 1, 1858; Robert V. Cunningham, July 10, 1861 ; Abner Hazeltine, Jr., 1866; John T. Wilson, 1867; A. Hazeltine, Jr., 1868; Henry J. Yates, 1871, (perhaps earlier ;) Alex. M. Clark, 1874.
Hanover post-office was established in the town of Hanover, at a place afterwards called Kensington, in the present town of Sheridan, on the Buf- falo and Erie mail route, about 5 miles from Silver Creek, and 3 miles from Forestville, Dec. 7, 1816, and Wm. Holbrook, an early merchant, appointed postmaster. Having resigned and removed to Walnut Creek, now Forest- ville, Asa Pierce, an early settler, was appointed in 1822. He, with the aid of his neighbors, procured a change of the name of the office to Kensington, the name of the intended village at that place. Mr. P. was for many years an innkeeper in different parts of the county, and died at Fredonia in 1844, aged 63 years.
In 1823, a post route was established from Perry, Genesee county, through Perrysburg, Nashville, and Forestville to Fredonia, the mail to be carried on horseback, once in two weeks. A post-office named Hanover, was estab- lished at Forestville, May 15, 1823, Albert H. Camp, postmaster. Unfor- tunately for the inhabitants around Kensington, the name of Hanover drew to Forestville nearly all the mail designed for them ; and the name of Han- over post-office was changed to Forestville, Oct. 15, 1823. On the 22d of March, 1824, it was again changed to Hanover ; and in 1853 it again took the present name of Forestville. Amount due the general post-office for the quarter ending July 1, 1823, $5.73 ; for the quarter ending July 1, 1825, $17.97. For several years a mail was carried, by consent of the postmaster- general, between Forestville and Kensington, as often as the mail passed on the Erie road. Mr. Camp having resigned the office, Wm. S. Snow, a printer,
124
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
and son of Seth Snow, a pioneer from Massachusetts, was appointed. The names of those who have since held the office, are Ernest Mullett, John Morrison, Ira A. Torrey, Nedebiah Angell, Benajah Tubbs, James H. Phelps, B. Tubbs, (2d appointment,) Orrin Morrison, Cyrus D. Angell, Horace Burgess, Walter G. Griswold. Present postmaster, Horace Burgess.
The mail contract from Meadville was renewed in 1819, the mail to be carried weekly on horseback, by way of Forks of Oil Creek, Brokenstraw, Youngsville, Warren, Fairbank, and Jamestown ; and to this route was added the route between Mayville and Westfield, which had been included in the Buffalo and Erie contract.
In 1823, Capt. Gilbert Ballard started a stage-wagon running once a week on the east side of the lake from Jamestown to Mayville, going and return- ing the same day. In 1824, the weekly was changed to a tri-weekly route ; and the mail was carried three times a week, the postmaster-general allowing $200 for the service. Subsequently the line became a daily mail stage line of post-coaches, running alternately on the east and west side of the lake. And later, the mail was carried on the lake by steamboats in the summer.
Dunkirk post-office was established as a private office, in February, 1818, Elisha Doty, postmaster, who received the avails of the office for the trans- mission of the mail to and from Fredonia. There have been since appointed, Dr. Ezra Williams, a pioneer physician from Oneida county, June 3, 1822 ; Adam Fink, Dec. 16, 1833 ; Wm. L. Carpenter, a publisher of the Dunkirk Beacon, in 1841 ; Lysander B. Brown, a lawyer, in 1844; George B. Stock- ton, in 1852; Patrick Barrett, in 1856, who died in the war in 1862 ; Richard L. Cary, in April, 1861 ; Sidney L. Wilson, 1867 ; Lee L. Hyde, 1871.
Westfield post-office was established June 15, 1818, Fenn Demming, post- master, virtually superseding the old Chautauqua office, the first in the county. Demming had been a surgeon in the war of 1812, and opened the first drug store in Westfield. Orvis Nichols was appointed in February, 1833 ; Calvin Rumsey in 1840; Wm. Sexton a few months later, and in' 1843 superseded by Orvis Nichols, who was in turn superseded by Mr. Sexton. In 1853, Hiram W. Beers, a Methodist minister, was appointed, and in about a year was succeeded by Dr. Marcellus Kenyon. David Mann, a former district-attor- ney, was appointed in 1855 ; Byron Hall in 1861 ; Fred. C. Barger, 1865 ; Wm. E. Wheeler, 1867 ; Clara U. Drake, 1871.
4
Portland post-office was established December 7, 1818, Calvin Barns, post- master. He was a pioneer settler, a soldier of the Revolution and in the war of 1812, and was wounded at the battle of Buffalo, December, 1813. The office was then at his farm, afterwards owned by Hiram and Joshua West, about six miles east of Westfield. The town then extended west to Chau- tauqua creek. The present Portland post-office is on the Erie road, 11/2 miles west from Brocton.
Elijah Blaisdell carried the mail on contract from Buffalo to Erie, by way of Mayville, at the rate of $736 a year, for three years from January 1, 1818. The route was finally extended from Buffalo to Lewiston, for the additional
125
EARLY MAILS AND MAIL ROUTES.
sum of $150. Blaisdell having made a default in the fulfillment of his con- tract, Richard Williams, innkeeper, of Portland, was employed to carry the mail from Buffalo, by way of Mayville, to Erie.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.