History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 19

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 19


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


149


AGRICULTURAL SOCIETIES.


O. C. Payne, A. P. Parsons, H. C. Taylor, Joseph Carpenter, John Clough, A. Landers, E. H. Thatcher, J. B. Chace, Ezra Mills, Daniel Briggs, W. L. Wilbur, David Bradford, Joseph Whitaker, A. S. Davis, Simon Barris, I. J. Bowen, John Devoe, Joseph Button, Ezra Martin, S. Monroe, Z. Kilbourn, A. D. Brooks, S. Logan, C. C. Rugg, C. C. Johnson, G. H. Bowen, G. L. Whitford, B. Hubbard, A. Jackson, Wm. Bourne, Orrin 'Gar- field, E. Clark, N. F. Marble, S. Brown.


At a meeting held at Dunkirk, September 15, 1865, a new constitution was adopted, in compliance with a request of the state society; and to become auxiliary thereto, the name was changed from Association to Soci- ety, and is now known as the Eclectic Medical Society of the 32d Senatorial District. The officers chosen were : H. C. Taylor, M. D., president ; A. P. Parsons, M. D., vice-president; M. M. Fenner, M. D., secretary; G. L. Whitford, treasurer. The following are the names of members: G. H. Bowen, A. S. Davis, N. F. Marsh, C. C. Rugg, C. C. Johnson, J. B. Chace, A. D. Brooks, N. F. Marble, D. A. Loomis, G. W. Carpenter, James Fenner, Phineas Sage, C. W. Babcock, A. Ayers, John Gazley, A. Haynes, J. A. Salis- bury, C. D. Thompson, A. H. Bowen, J. Lord, S. J. Bowen, Q. A. Hollis- ter, D. C. Storer, W. L. Wilbur, O. H. Simons, M. C. Belknap, J. Phillips, A. P. Phillips, A. A. Hubbell, V. A. Ellsworth, A. Jennings, J. J. Lenhart, J. R. Borland.


AGRICULTURAL SOCIETIES.


AGRICULTURE received public encouragement in this state during the first term of Gov. De Witt Clinton. In the Chautauqua Eagle, published by Robert I. Curtis at Mayville, we find, under date of Jan. 4, 1820, a circular, signed by ten prominent " members of the great republican family," residing in the city of New York. They enumerate a long list of considerations, or measures of reform, characterizing Mr. Clinton's administration, which they urge in favor of his reëlection. They say :


" Under the administration of De Witt Clinton, a board of agriculture has been established upon the strength of his special recommendation. This has laid the foundation of our future agricultural prosperity, and called forth a noble and salutary emulation in the forty-nine counties of our state. It, in fact, has given a vast impulse to internal and even national industry, and is the only board in the twenty-one United States. Twenty thousand dollars will be hereafter expended annually to encourage the most approved cultiva- tion of the soil."


The following facts relating to agricultural societies in this county are found in one of a course of lectures by the late Samuel A. Brown, Esq., before the students of Jamestown academy, in 1843. About the year 1820, an agricul- tural society was formed at Mayville, and Judge Cushing, a wealthy farmer of Pomfret, chosen president. This society did but little, and was suffered


-


150


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


soon to expire. On the 12th of October, 1836, the citizens met at the court- house to organize an agricultural society under the statute; and Jedediah Tracy, of Mayville, was chosen president, and Wm. Prendergast, 2d, secre- tary. They adjourned to the 4th of January, 1837. On that day the Chautauqua County Agricultural Society was organized, and officers chosen. Wm. Prendergast, 2d, was chosen president ; Henry . Baker, of Ellicott, Timothy Judson, of Portland, Thomas B. Campbell, of Westfield, and Elias Clarke, of Ellery, vice-presidents ; E. P. Upham, corresponding secretary ; Jedediah Tracy, treasurer. The executive committee were Wm. H. Seward, Thomas B. Campbell, of Westfield, Stephen Prendergast, of Ripley, David Eaton, of Portland, Seth W. Holmes, of Chautauqua, John Miller, of Har- mony, Sampson Vincent, of Sherman, Abraham Pier, of Busti, Chauncey Warren, of Stockton, Jedediah Vorce, of Ellery, and Richard Walker, of Mina. The design of the society, as expressed in its constitution, was "to improve agriculture, horticulture, the household arts, and the breeding and improvement of domestic animals, and also the improvement of farming utensils, and domestic manufactures."


In many of the counties of this state, besides the county organizations, there are societies embracing one or more towns. The nature of these societies is too well understood to need description. That they have been instrumental in advancing the agricultural interest in the state will hardly be disputed ; and that practices have been introduced which materially detract from their usefulness, is extensively believed.


RAILROADS IN CHAUTAUQUA.


NEW YORK AND ERIE RAILROAD COMPANY.


THIS company was chartered by the legislature, April 24, 1832. The first preliminary survey was made the same year by De Witt Clinton, Jr., by order of the government. The company was authorized to organize when subscriptions for stock should have been taken to the amount of $1,000,000. Books were opened in the city of New York and in the counties along the route of the contemplated road. No subscriptions, or none to any consider- able amount, were obtained. The commissioners subsequently subscribed $10,000 each, and Wm. G. Buckner, of New York, subscribed for the remainder of the million required ; and the company was organized in July, 1833. Eleazar Lord, of New York, was chosen president; Wm. G. Buckner, treasurer. In 1834, the governor appointed Benj. Wright to survey the route ; who, assisted by James Seymour and Charles Ellett, began the survey May 23d, and finished it the same year. In 1835, the company was reör- ganized, and 40 miles were put under contract. In 1836, an act was passed authorizing a loan to the company of $3,000,000 on the credit of the state ;


151


RAILROADS IN CHAUTAUQUA.


and the comptroller was directed to issue state stock, to that amount, to aid in constructing the road. After this sum had been expended, it was found necessary to suspend the prosecution of the work. In this county, about 14 miles of the road from Dunkirk eastward had been graded, and for about 8 miles toward Mud lake the rails had been laid. The company being unable to proceed in the construction of the road without further aid, the state, in 1845, released its lien on the road, and authorized the original stockholders to surrender two shares of the old stock, and receive one share of the new.


April 8, 1845, a branch was allowed to be built from Chester to Newburgh, 19 miles. A road was also authorized from about 20 miles west from Pier- mont, through New Jersey to Jersey City, opposite New York, where nearly all the freight and passengers of the Erie road, to and from New York, are landed. To secure to the people of the southern counties of the state the benefits of the road, the company was originally required to keep the road all the way within the limits of the state. In 1846, however, in order to obtain an easier grade, the company was allowed to cross the Delaware river into Pennsylvania, and run the road a short distance through that state. For this privilege the road is compelled to pay the state of Pennsylvania, annually, a bonus of $to,ooo. The road was opened as follows : From Piermont to Goshen, Sept. 22, 1841 ; to Middletown, June 7, 1843 ; to Port Jervis, Jan. 6, 1848 ; to Binghamton, Dec. 28, 1848; to Owego, June 1, 1849 ; to Elmira, Oct., 1849; to Corning, Jan. 1, 1859 ; and to Dunkirk, May 14, 1851. The Newburgh branch was opened, Jan. 8, 1850.


The consummation of the great enterprise, which had been anxiously awaited through long years of doubt and despondency, was appropriately followed by a


CELEBRATION AT DUNKIRK.


This was a joyous occasion, not only to the citizens of this county, but to thousands in every county in the "southern tier." These "sequestered counties," as they had long been called, having participated but slightly in the benefits of the "grand canal," were at length favored with a "road to market." The day was highly auspicious, and many thousands were attracted by the fame of the expected guests, and the novelty of the antici- pated spectacle. The village of Dunkirk presented a gay appearance, from the flags and streamers with which the hotels and private houses were decorated. On the dépôt were the flags of three nations; the stars and stripes gracefully floating above the tri-color of the French republic and the red cross of St. George.


At about II o'clock, the Queen City arrived from Buffalo, and soon after, in succession, the Niagara, the Empire State, the Empire, the Key Stone State, and the United States steamer Michigan, took positions in the harbor. Gov. Hunt and suite arrived from Buffalo on one of the boats, and received his friends at the American hotel. The train from New York, expected at 1.30 P. M., did not arrive until about 4, when the locomotive "Dunkirk "


152


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


came in as a pioneer, followed, soon after, by the long expected "iron horse," from New York city, amid the ringing of bells and shouts of thousands. The train consisted of twelve passenger cars, bearing a long row of banners which had been presented along the line. Among the guests in the train, were President Fillmore; Daniel Webster, secretary of state; Wm.' A. Graham, secretary of the navy; Nathan K. Hall, postmaster-general ; John J. Crittenden, attorney-general ; Senators Seward and Fish ; Daniel S. Dickin- son ; Ex-Gov. Marcy ; Senator Douglas, of Ill .; Christopher Morgan, sec. of state of New York, and others.


After the presentation of an elegant banner by the ladies of Dunkirk to the president and directors of the road, a procession was formed under the direction of Noah D. Snow, marshal, and to the music of Dodsworth's New York Cornet Band, proceeded through the village, and back to the dépôt, where refreshments were provided. The president and invited guests, with the directors of the road, repaired to the Loder house, where a sumptuous collation was served up. At the conclusion of the repast, President Fillmore, being introduced to the guests, congratulated them on the completion of the road, and complimented the president and directors of the road for their exertions in its behalf. He was followed by Mr. Loder, president of the company, who gave a history of the origin and progress of the road, during which time the charter had been changed some twelve times. The road, he said, was 44512 miles in length, the longest ever built under one charter in the world.


Mr. Crittenden, of Ky., having been called for, said he was surprised at what had been accomplished. He had heard something of it, but had pre- viously had no adequate idea of its extent. The French eagle, said Napoleon, had flown from spire to spire, till it rested on Notre Dame; but he [Mr. C.] had been in a car that outdid the French eagle. They had been flying, not from spire to spire, but from mountain top to mountain top. The president and directors of the road were benefactors of the state. Our country was destined to progress. In fifty years, there would be a popula- tion of 100,000,000. The speaking was continued within the house until a late hour, by Gov. Hunt, Senators Seward and Dickinson, and others.


Outside the house, President Fillmore was introduced by IIon. Geo. W. Patterson, to the multitude in front, and briefly addressed them in enlogy of the road and the occasion. He was followed by Gov. Hunt and Secretary Graham. They were succeeded by Joseph Hoxie, of New York, or, as Lieut .- Gov. Patterson remarked, better known as " Joe Hoxie." He chained the audience for some time by a flow of humor ; but the cry was for Webster, and no excuse would be taken. Mr. Webster at last appeared, looking fatigued and care-worn, but spoke at length on the benefit of the work, and in behalf of the Union. The festivities of the day were closed by a brilliant display of fireworks, bonfires, etc., while the windows of many dwellings were illuminated. There were probably 15,000 people assembled on the occasion.


153


RAILROADS IN CHAUTAUQUA.


BUFFALO & ERIE, AND OTHER RAILROADS.


The Buffalo & Erie Railroad Company was formed under an act passed April 14, 1832, with a capital of $650,000. The term of the charter was fifty years. Four years were allowed the company to commence the work, and ten to complete it. The route was surveyed and located nearly all the way to the state line. The stock was taken, but from some disagreement in regard to the route at certain points, the work was not commenced within the four years, as required by the act, and the enterprise failed.


The Buffalo & State Line Railroad Company was formed June 6, 1849. The road was located by way of Fredonia. The route was subsequently changed by the company's deciding to run it through Dunkirk. The road was opened from Dunkirk to the state line January 1, 1852, and to Buffalo February 22, following. The company purchased the Erie & North-east Railroad, under the act of April 13, 1857, and operated the united roads under the name of the Buffalo & Erie Railroad. The three railroads be- tween Erie and Chicago, owned by three different companies prior to May, 1869, were then consolidated under the name of Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad. In August following, this road and the Buffalo & Erie road were consolidated, without a change of the former name.


A company for the construction of a railroad from Portland Harbor [ Barcelona] to Mayville, was formed under an act of the legislature, passed March 29, 1832. The capital stock was to be $150,000, and the term of charter fifty years ; eight years to be allowed for its construction. It is need- less to say the project was never carried into effect.


The Fredonia & Van Buren Railroad Company was formed May 21, 1836, with a capital of $12,000. This was at the time when the projected city of Van Buren [elsewhere noticed] had just made its appearance on paper-the epoch still frequently designated in this section of the state as the time of the " Buffalo land speculation," but which extended to all parts of the coun- try. [See Van Buren, in History of Dunkirk.] The people of Fredonia, having no hope of securing an early connection with a railroad in any other way, and anticipating the selection of this place for the terminus of the New York & Erie road, sought connection with the lake and railroad trade by this short road. But the "crisis " which succeeded the fictitious prosperity of the years 1835 and 1836 having crushed the prospective city, and the western terminus of the N. Y. & E. R. R. having been fixed at Dunkirk, the project was abandoned.


THE ATLANTIC & GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY.


This company was formed December 9, 1859. The line was said to extend from the New York & Erie Railroad at Little Valley to the south line of Chautauqua county. But it was never intended to be thus restricted. On the completion of the road westward to Jamestown, the Journal Extra, of August 25, 1860, said :


" This great enterprise, which has for a decade of years absorbed the


154


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


interests of capitalists and commercial men, as well as the business public, both east and west, and which, in its vastness of design, unites the valley of the Mississippi (and ultimately the Pacific slope) to the great emporium of the Atlantic shore, has reached a stage of its completion that assures its speedy and indisputable success. Its line traverses the very garden of the states, the central region through Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana, so well known to producers and buyers as the great market ground between the lakes and the Gulf states."


On the 6th of April, negotiations between the companies of the Erie & New York City Railroad and the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad were completed ; the latter company adopting 38 miles of the Erie & New York City Railroad line. About the Ist of May, the contractors and engineer corps commenced operations at the junction with the New York & Erie Railroad near Little Valley. On the 3d of July, the iron was laid down to Randolph, 16 miles from the junction. On the 25th of August, 1860, the first train of cars arrived at Jamestown, a distance of 33 miles ; the achieve- ment of the result being ascribed in great part to " the vigor of the English engineer, [Thomas W. Kennard,] the coolness and energy of his American associate, J. Hill, Jr., and the urging of the work by the able contractors, Messrs. Doolittle and Streator. On the occasion of the laying of the rails of the road into the village of Jamestown, a complimentary dinner was given to Mr. Kennard at the Jamestown House, where a large company of invited guests sat down to a sumptuously furnished table. Col. Augustus F. Allen presided on the occasion, which, judging from the published proceedings, was one of deep interest to the people in a part of the country until then remote from canal or railroad.


The Buffalo & Oil Creek Cross Cut Railroad was chartered in 1865. Its name was subsequently changed to Buffalo, Corry & Pittsburgh Railroad. It connects Corry, in Pennsylvania, with Brocton in this county, where it joins the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern road. Its length is 43.20 miles. The portion lying in this state is 37.20 miles, and terminates at the state line, which there forms the south line of Clymer, on lot 49. The company con- structing from this point to Corry, was chartered by the legislature of Penn- sylvania, and the two were consolidated April 24; 1867.


DUNKIRK, ALLEGANY VALLEY & PITTSBURGH RAILROAD.


A meeting was held in the summer of 1866 by the citizens of Sinclairville, at which Hon. C. J. Allen presided, to consider the practicability of con- structing a railroad from Dunkirk to Warren, Pa., by the way of the Cassadaga and Connewango valleys. Other meetings were afterwards held in the same year at Sinclairville, Dunkirk, and Fredonia, at which preliminary steps were taken for the organization of a company to build the road. Subscriptions were also made to its capital stock, in anticipation of the organization of such company, by the citizens along the route of the proposed road. During the suc- ceeding winter, the company was organized under the name of the Dunkirk, Warren & Pittsburgh Railroad Company. The officers first chosen were


155


POLITICAL HISTORY.


Timothy D. Copp, president; George Barker, vice-president; S. M. Newton, chief engineer ; T. R. Coleman, treasurer ; and James Van Buren, secretary ; S. M. Newton, Wm. Bookstaver, Walter Finkle, and Lee L. Hyde, of Dun- kirk ; George Barker and Thomas Higgins, of Fredonia ; Ebenezer Moore, of Stockton ; T. D. Copp and Alonzo Langworthy, of Sinclairville ; B. F. Dennison, of Gerry ; Patrick Falconer, of Ellicott ; and Edwin Eaton and Wm. H. H. Fenton, of Carroll, directors. April 23, 1867, an act was passed by the legislature of New York, authorizing the towns in this county to subscribe to the capital stock. June 17, 1867, the first work on the road was done. A party consisting of Obed Edson, compassman, Thomas Glissan, George Blackham, Stephen H. Allen, Walter Hyde, and Charles Higgins, under the direction of the chief engineer, commenced the preliminary survey at the north end of Cassadaga lake, and completed this survey from Dunkirk to the Pennsylvania line during that year.


The original contract for the construction of the road was made with T. M. Simpson and J. Condit Smith ; and grading was commenced in Ellicott, at Ross's mills, October 3, 1867. In December, 1867, supervisors of towns issued bonds and subscribed for stock for their respective towns, as fol- lows : George D. Hinkley, of Pomfret, $50,000 ; Obed Edson, of Charlotte, and B. F. Dennison, of Gerry, each $34,000 ; John S. Beggs, of Dunkirk, $100,000 ; and Wm. H. H. Fenton, of Carroll, $20,000. This substantially constituted the capital stock on which the road was built. In 1868, 1869 and 1870, the road was graded. In 1870, the track was laid to a point a lit- tle south of Laona ; June 1, 1871, to Sinclairville ; June 17, to Worksburg ; to which place the first passenger train passed over the road, June 22, 1871. The road was afterwards completed to Warren, and continued to Titusville.


The Buffalo and Jamestown Railroad was chartered in 1872. It passes through the towns of Hamburgh, Eden, and Collins, in Erie county ; Persia and Dayton, in Cattaraugus county ; Cherry Creek and Ellington, in Chan- tauqua county ; Randolph, in Cattarangus ; Poland and Ellicott, in Chautau- qua county.


POLITICAL HISTORY.


EARLY PARTIES.


EVER since the organization of the government under the constitution, there have been two great national political parties in this country. The first had their origin in the convention which framed the constitution of the United States. Prior to the formation of the present government, national affairs were conducted under the articles of confederation, which were adopted during the Revolutionary war. This confederation was a mere league between thir- teen sovereign and independent states. This league was formed for the more effectual resistance to the power of Great Britain in the struggle for American


156


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


independence. It was hardly entitled to be called a government. It had neither a legislature, an executive, nor a judiciary. There was what was sometimes called a legislature-the Congress-consisting of delegates from the several states, sitting in a single body. It could pass no law that was binding upon the states or individuals.


In this Congress all the states were equal. In the decision of all ques- tions, each state had but one vote; and that vote was determined by the major- ity of its delegates. Each state, large or small, was entitled to an equal number of delegates, not exceeding seven ; but its vote was not counted unless at least two of its delegates were present and voting. Also, if its delegates were equally divided upon a question, it had no vote.


The weakness of the confederation appeared during the war. Congress could not compel a state to raise men or money to carry on the war. Its business was to pass ordinances, so called, assigning to the states their respect- ive quotas of men and money to be raised ; but it could not enforce its requisitions. Generally, however, they were obeyed, all the states being united to avert a common danger. But after the war was over, the states did not long continue in harmony. Laws were enacted in some states giving their own citizens undue advantages over the citizens of other states; and mutual jealousies and animosities soon arose which threatened to break up the Union.


It was now evident that, to preserve the union of the states, a government possessing more extensive powers was necessary ; a government that could, in all needful cases, control the action of the state governments. Under the confederation, Congress had no power to lay and collect taxes. It borrowed money to carry on the war ; but, as the power of taxation was in the states alone, Congress was wholly dependent on the states, which were not always ready and willing to comply with its requisitions.


But what originated the movement for a constitutional convention, was the want of power to lay duties to protect American labor. Other countries, especially Great Britain, where manufactures had become firmly established, were flooding this country with their fabrics, and were draining it of its specie, and impoverishing our people. Great Britain had built up her manufac- turing interest by high duties upon foreign goods ; and our Congress had not the power thus to protect capital and labor by countervailing duties. The states had the power, but they would not agree upon a uniform system of duties ; and without uniformity the object could not be accomplished. Mr. Madison and other eminent statesmen, after several unsuccessful attempts to have the evil remedied by the action of the state legislatures, requested Congress to call a convention of commissioners from all the states, to alter the articles of confederation so as to confer upon Congress this needed power, and to make such other alterations "as the exigencies of the Union might require."


The request for the calling of a convention by Congress was granted ; and the delegates met at Philadelphia on the second Monday of May, 1787.


157


POLITICAL HISTORY.


There was soon found a wide difference of opinion among the members respecting the plan of government to be formed. Some wished to retain the existing plan with a slight enlargement of the powers of Congress. Others, instead of a simple confederation of equal and independent states, desired a complete national government, with a legislative, an executive, and a judicial department-a government that could enforce its laws upon states and indi- viduals. A resolution in favor of such a government was introduced. It was the occasion of a long, earnest, and, at times, angry debate, which came near breaking up the convention. But the friends of a national government prevailed ; and a plan, of which Mr. Madison was the reputed author, was introduced as the basis of action, and was called the " Virginia plan." Mr. Patterson, of New Jersey, presented a plan in accordance with the views of the friends of the confederation. This was called the "New Jersey plan." The convention had not proceeded far in its labors, when some members of the defeated party left the convention and returned to their homes. The delegates from the state of New York were Alexander Hamilton, Robert Yates, and John Lansing, Jr., the last two of whom were among the depart- ing members. Mr. Hamilton being the only remaining delegate from this state, New York had no longer a vote in the convention, as the presence of at least two members was necessary to entitle a state to a vote.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.