History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 28
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 28
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
221
ARKWRIGHT.
Original Purchases in Township 5, Range 11.
1807. November, Zattu Cushing, 63 ; [articled to Uriah L. Johnson.]
1809. June, Benj. Sprague, 56. August, Augustus Burnham, 60. Ed- ward McGregor, 62. September, Oliver Taylor, 55. October, Aaron Wil- cox, 56. November, Nathan Eaton, 64. Benj. Perry, 64.
1810. January, Horace Clough, 42. May, Augustus Burnham, 56.
1812. March, Robert Cowden, 54.
1814. October, Moses Tucker, 62. November, Daniel Harris, 53.
1815. October, Robert W. Seaver, 37.
1816. February, Abiram Orton, 55. December, Thaddeus Barnard, 16.
1817. March, Robert Cowden, 53. April, Jabez Harrington, 39.
1818. March, Silas Matteson, 8.
1821. July, Isaiah Martin, 3. October, Bela Kingsley, 13. Hiram Kinsley, 13.
1822. March, Simeon Smith, Jr., 39. Caleb Weaver, Jr., 39. April, David Weaver, 31. John Weaver, 32. Bethnel Harvey, 12. Oct., Ashbel Scott, 10. Nov., Asahel Burnham, 26, 27. Moses and Aaron Luce, 18.
1823. July, Sylvester Gould, 42. August, Stephen Chase, 2. Novem- ber, Orestes Thatcher, 18.
1824. September, Simeon Clinton, 21. October, Benjamin White, 28. Arna Wood, 51.
1825. Sept., Shephen Chase, 2d, 9. Oct., Ellsworth Griswold, 25.
1826. January, Andrus M. Huyck, 16. July, Wm. F. Peebles, Jr., 33. October, Zephaniah Briggs, 42. Abijah Mason, 8. .
1828. January, Benjamin Perry, 47.
The first settlement in Arkwright, according to the State Gazetteer, was made in the north-west part of the town in 1807, by Abiram Orton, Benjamin Perry and Augustus Burnham, from the eastern part of the state. From the Holland Company's land-office books it appears, that the lands of these set- tlers were not articled until 1809. They were, however, probably contracted for and settled in the year first mentioned. Aaron Wilcox is said to have settled in 1809, and Nathan Eaton in 1810, though the articles of both are dated in 1809. Uriah L. Johnson, Benjamin Sprague, and Jonathan Sprague, are said to have settled at the center of the town in 1811. Johnson and B. Sprague first bought, and, it is believed, occupied, lands in the north- west part of the town, but afterwards, probably in 1811, settled permanently near the center.
Abiram Orton came from Oneida county, and settled in the north-west part of the town, probably on lot 64, near Pomfret. He was for several years an associate judge of the county. He was twice married, and died in 1837, having had no children. His widow resides on the farm. Aaron Wilcox, a native of Conn., removed with his family from Madison Co., N. Y., to Chau- tauqua, 1809 ; and, after a year's residence at Fredonia, settled in the town of Arkwright, on lot 56, which he bought in October, 1809, and on which he resided until his death, in 1833. His children were William, Azariah, Betsey, Oliver C., Lydia G., Ursula, Thomas. R., and Harvey R.
Nathan Eaton, also probably from Oneida or Madison county, bought on lot 64. A daughter of his married Asahel Burnham, whose son Asahel
222
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
resides at Sinclairville ; and another son, Eaton, lives in Arkwright. Benj. Perry, before mentioned, was a lieutenant in the war of 1812 ; afterwards a colonel of the militia. Of his three sons, George W. resides in Ripley.
Daniel Saunders was an early settler on lot 56, though he was not an original purchaser ; he still resides there. He had no sons, but 6 daughters : Lois Ann, wife of Marshal Parsons; Mariett, wife of Silas Matteson, of Dun- kirk ; Clarissa, unmarried ; Jane, wife of Morgan Rice; Amarett, wife of L. Courtney Baldwin ; and Hope, unmarried. Robert Cowden settled on lot 54, articled in 1812. A son, Alla, lives in Harbor Creek, Pa .; Levi, on the homestead. Moses Tucker settled on lot 62, bought in 1814. His son Chauncey was a lawyer in Fredonia, since at Buffalo, and is deceased.
Alla and Zebina Willson, and Robert Cowden, who married their sister, came froni Madison Co., and settled in 1811, on lots 53 and 545; and their father, Reuben Willson, about 1817, settled near them. He had thirteen children, all of whom are dead except Adine, who lives on a part of his father's homestead, and Mrs. Cowden, who resides with her son, Levi Cow- den, on the old homestead where they first settled.
In the south-east part of the town, James Black, from Wayne county, at the age of 19 or 20, bought a part of lot 10, adjoining a piece previously taken up by Wm. Scott. Each built a cabin' in the usual pioneer style; the doors being made of a board brought by Mr. Scott two miles on his back. They married two sisters, daughters of Elder Dibble. They were surround- ed by forest, infested with wolves and bears, sometimes approaching too near their cabins for the safety of their children when out at play. By persevering industry they have secured to themselves good farms and an ample com- petence. James T. Black, a son of James, is married, and lives on a farm adjoining his father's. Charles S., another son, lives at home with his parents. Mr. Scott died in 1866, leaving a daughter and two sons : Warren, who resides in the east part of the town, and David, who lately lived on the homestead.
Isaiah Martin, from Broome Co., settled first in the south part of the county, at an early day. He soon removed to Pomfret, and commenced the erection of a cotton factory on the Canadaway creek, near where Scott's tavern now is, but gave up the enterprise, and bought in 1821, in the south- east part of this town, in the wilderness; built a cabin and cleared a farm ; built a good house, and for many years kept a tavern and a store, with asheries. He had seven sons, none remaining in the town, except George W., who resides on the old place.
The first birth in this town is said. to have been that of Horatio N. John- son, son of Uriah L. Johnson, May 11, 1811 ; the first marriage, that of Asahel Burnham and Luania Eaton, May 11, 1815; and the first death, that of Augustus Burnham, in 1813. [A marriage is thought by some to have occurred earlier than 1815.]
The first school, says the Gazetteer, was taught by Lucy Dewey, near the center, in the summer of 1813. A reliable old settler is confident that a
223
ARKWRIGHT.
school was taught by Horace Clough in the winter of 1811-12 ; and that the same school was taught by Parthenia Baldwin in the summer of 1812.
The first inn was kept by Simeon Clinton, in 1817, at the center, so called, though about a mile north of the geographical center; subsequently kept by J. Bartholomew, who also kept a post-office ; both of which have been discon- tinued there. Aaron Town's inn and Arkwright post-office are kept about 2 miles south-east from the former place.
The first saw-mill was built in 1818, by Abiram Orton and Benjamin Perry, on Orton's land, near the town line, near the north-west corner of the town, on a small branch of the Canadaway creek. A saw-mill and an oil- mill on Walnut creek, in the north-east part of the town, was owned by Andrus M. Huyck, and perhaps built by him. It came into the hands of Edward B. Kingsley, who has kept a saw-mill in operation there until the present time. Two other saw-mills, one or two miles above, on the same stream, are yet standing, one of which, at least, is kept running a part of the time. Asahel Burnham pretty early built a saw-mill in the south part of the town. A mill is still run there by - Thayer. Another built by S. A. Stoddard, half a mile above, has been discontinued. A mill was also built by Joel White, south of the center; no longer in use. A steam saw-mill built by Marvin Snow, at the old center, five or six years since, was removed by him, a year or two ago, a few rods down the stream, and rebuilt. Ezra Scott built a steam saw-mill, three or four years ago, which is still in operation. A grist mill, the only one, it is believed, built in this town, was near the west line of the town of Pomfret. Scarce a trace of it remains.
An oil-mill was built in the abbey by Wm. Mason and Leonard Love, about thirty-five years ago. It soon passed into the hands of Andrus M. Huyck, who ran it successfully for a number of years.
In the south part of the town, Horace Clough settled on lot 42, bought in 1810. He married Polly Crouch (?), and had 2 sons, Horace P. and Mellin H, who reside in Pennsylvania. He married, second, Parthena Baldwin, by whom he had 3 sons, Barclay and Luther, in California, and Casper, deceased ; and 4 daughters, Esther, Lucy, Mariett, and Helen, the last deceased. [Mr. Clough, it is said, subsequently removed, and settled near the north line, in or near the town of Sheridan.]
Jesse Reed, from Windsor Co., Vt., came with his wife to Arkwright, and settled on lot 43, cutting his way three miles through the woods. His cabin was one of the rudest of the rude ; and his pioneer experience was of the rougher kind. He had 2 children : Euphame, who is married, and went to Michigan ; and Stephen W., married, and lives on the homestead.
In the south-east part of the town, David Abbey settled early on lot 3, where he still resides, with his son, Chauncey. His sons were James P., Chauncey, and David. James P. resides on lot 12, where he has resided many years. Chauncey is an extensive and a successful farmer ; and he has, for many years, been an extensive dealer in cattle. He has acquired an ample fortune. He was elected eight times to the office of supervisor.
.
224
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Leonard Sessions, from Broome county, came to Arkwright in 1828, and settled on lot 4, where he now resides. A son, Holland, is on the farm ; Henry, in Villenova, whose son Lawrence is a merchant at Hamlet. He had 4 daughters : Esther, Cordelia, J-, and Lydia, deceased. None of them reside in town.
In the north-east part of the town, Silas Matteson settled on lot 8, bought March, 1818. A son, Silas, is a detective at Dunkirk. Harvey Baldwin settled on a part of the same lot, about i834, whence he removed, in 1872, to Sheridan Center. He had several children, of whom two sons only are living : Albert, who removed to the West; and Horace, who lives with his father in Sheridan.
Bela Kingsley, from Onondaga Co., in the spring of 1822, settled on lot 13. He opened a road for his team of two yoke of oxen, and built a log cabin, and covered it with hollowed basswood logs, leaving a hole for the escape of the smoke. He had a wife and several sons, Edward, the oldest, being about 14 years old. Though far from an inhabitant, they were not long at a time alone. Almost every night, their cabin floor of split logs was covered with weary travelers looking for lands. Mr. Kingsley soon enlarged his house with similar material. Three years after, he built a small frame house and commenced innkeeping. On the 4th of July, the young people, with ox-teams, on foot, and otherwise, collected there for an " Independence ball," the house having but one room. He kept tavern, cleared and cultiva- ted his farm, and enjoyed his home, until the New York & Erie Railroad was run through it. He then sold out, and removed to Laona, where he soon died. Edward B. remained in the town, purchased a place in the " Abbey," near Mr. Huyck's, where he still resides, having been town collec- tor 5 years, clerk 1 year, justice 4 years, and assessor 13 years. He was about 15 years of age when he came in with his father, and soon began to assist in chopping and clearing. This labor he continued until he had be- come a professional chopper. About the time he became of age, he chopped thirteen months continuously. The day after he reached his majority, he commenced chopping for himself; and in just two weeks, (12 working days,) he chopped 3 acres, the timber all in good order for logging. His common average was an acre.in four days. He also gained notoriety as a marksman. More bears than one that had fled for safety to the highest branches of a tall tree, he brought down dead with a musket ball, after others had fired repeat- edly without effect.
He relates the following bear story : Two young men, [Perley and Hiram Kinsley,] settled on a part of the lot [13] on which Bela Kingsley settled, and about the same time. They kept "bachelor's hall." Perley, returning from a tramp one afternoon through the woods, espied a bear and two cubs playing in the road a few rods before him. He seized a club, and got near them before they discovered him. The cubs fled and ascended a large hemlock ¿to the top ; the old bear ran into a swamp, out of sight. He hallooed, and brought to his assistance a man from the other side of the swamp, who kept
Leri Bakanin
ARKWRIGHT.
225
watch until Perley had rallied the neighbors, who came with dogs and mus- . kets, Edward B. Kingsley, then about 18 years old, among them. Some had fired when he arrived, the two young bears still sitting undisturbed in the top of the tree. Kingsley charged his musket, and, at the first fire, brought one bear down, dead. While he was re-loading" others were firing, but, as be- fore, without effect. He fired again, and brought the other cub down, wounded, but not dead. The dogs, however, soon dispatched him ; and the boy went home the hero of the day.
In the east part of the town, Aaron Town, from Genesee Co., settled in 1826 on lot 12, and subsequently purchased the tavern stand at the Summit, which he kept for many years, and which is now kept by his son Oliver M. He has raised 5 sons and 3 daughters, all living and having families. Martin H., the second son, resides at the Summit ; is a justice of the peace, which office he has held for nearly four full terms, and has been postmaster for eighteen years, to the present time. Benjamin Jones, in 1832, settled tem- porarily on lot 23, and went thence to the center of the town, where he re- sides with his daughters. He was a justice of the peace 12 years, and town clerk nearly 21 years.
At the first town meeting, held in the house of Simeon Clinton, May 2, 1830, the following named officers were chosen :
Supervisor-William Wilcox. Town Clerk-Aaron - Foster. Assessors- Andrus M. Huyck, Daniel Harrington, Lewis Tucker," Commissioners, of Highways-Isaac Thompson, Joel White, Anton Van Vliet. Collector- Daniel Weaver. Overseers of the Poor-Silas May; Charles Crawford. Com- missioners of Schools- Isaac Bumpus, Ira White, Lewis E. Danforth. In- spectors of Schools-Andrus M. Huyck, Timothy"Cole, James Sprague. Constables-Edw. B. Kingsley, David; Weaver.' Justices of the Peace-Isaac Bumpus, John G. Curtis, Lewis E. Danforth.
Supervisors from 1830 to 1875
William Wilcox, 1830 to 1836, and 1844 to :52-16 years. Levi Bald- win, 1837 to 1840, '42, '53, '54, '57-8 years. Lewis E. Danforth, 1841, '43. Chauncey Abbey, 1855, '56, '58, '59, and 1862 to 65-8 years. John C. Griswold, 1860, '61, '66, '68. Delos J. Rider, 1867. Oscar H. Houck, 1869. L. Courtney Baldwin, 1870. Leander S. Phelps, 1871, '72. George W. Briggs, 1873, '74, '75.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
LEVI BALDWIN, son of Isaac and Parthena Baldwin, was born in Pawlet, Vt., Jan. 26, 1802. He came with his father to Sheridan in 1812, and resided there until after his marriage. He was married Oct. 23, 1831, to Eliza Ann Putnam, and settled in Arkwright on lot 55, near where he now resides. His wife died Nov. 10, 1863. He married for a second wife Mrs. Eleanor B. Phelps, March 26, 1866. He has held the office of supervisor & . years, and been a justice of the peace for several terms, and town superin- tendent of schools ; and has held various other offices, the duties of all of
--
226
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
which he has discharged faithfully and to the satisfaction of his fellow-citi- zens. He had three children by his first wife, all sons .. 1. Oliver T., who went to California in his twentieth year, where he married Nancy Wright, and settled finally in San Francisco, where he now resides. 2. L. Courtney, who married Amoret Saunders, and 'settled on the south part of lot 55, adjoining his father's, where he now resides. 3. Orville D., who married Eglantine Dawley, and is a druggist in Fredonia.
SIMEON CLINTON, born in Saratoga Co., Feb. 3, 1779, removed from Otsego Co. to Arkwright, near the center, on lot 37, in 1813. He attained to considerable prominence, and took an active part in getting the town set off. He was a surveyor. About 50 years ago, he is said to have made the first survey and plot of the village of Dunkirk, and afterward of Sinclairville. He kept the first tavern in town. He was the first postmaster, and held the office for 20 years ; and was town clerk and justice for a number of years. He was killed by lightning while in the act of closing a stable door. A son of Mr. C. was prostrated by the stroke, but soon recovered. The house also was struck, but without much damage. He had a son and 5 daughters, the three youngest being triplets; only one of them living, who is the wife of Milton Cole, of this town, whose son, Charles Cole, is the present town clerk, [Feb., 1875.] Mr. Clinton was nearly 80 years of age.
SAMUEL DAVIS, from Madison Co., came to Chautauqua Co. as teamster for Zattu Cushing, in February, 1805, and was one of the number coming from Buffalo on the ice, who narrowly escaped being drowned by the break- ing away of the ice, as related by O. W. Johnson, Esq., in his " Memoir of Judge Zattu Cushing." [See Historical Sketch of Pomfret.] After their ar- rival at Fredonia, Davis took a job of clearing ten acres for Cushing, for the performance of which he received the lot of land where Linus Sage now lives. He built a small log house, and the next spring brought in his family.
ANDRUS M. HUYCK settled early on lot 16, bought in 1826. In the spring of 1827, he built a log house, into which he moved his family, consist- ing of a wife and two sons, Shadrach and Oscar. There was no settler near him; but so rapidly did new settlers come in, that they put up a small log school-house in season for a school the next winter ; and in a few years a commodious frame house was erected. The school prospered, and took the name of the " Abbey School." It became quite a popular institution, having furnished many good and successful teachers. Mr. Huyck was himself a successful teacher, and exerted a favorable influence in the cause of education, as well as in the community and in the church. He was for several years a commissioner or inspector of schools, and for two or three terms a justice of the peace. Mr. Huyck lins 4 sons, Shadrach, Oscar H., Elijah and Avery ; and 2 daughters, Tamar and Hester ; all of whom have families-three living in the Abbey district, and three in the West. Oscar H. is a justice, having held the office several terms ; and has served one term as supervisor. Avery, the youngest son, now living with his father, was for three years in the Union army, and in several battles, without receiving personal injury.
大江
227
BUSTI.
WILLIAM WILCOX, son of Aaron, elsewhere mentioned, was born in Sims- bury, Conn., May 1, 1790. He came with his father to this county in 1809, and subsequently purchased a part of lot 48, on the north line of the town. He was married, in 1817, to Esther S. Cole, who came from Vermont in 1815. He felled the first tree on his land, which he improved and occupied 57 years. As a citizen, he enjoyed the esteem and confidence of the com- munity. He was elected, in 1830, the first year after the formation of the town, as its supervisor, and held the office by reelection until 1836, and from 1844 to 1852-in all, for 16 years. He was also a member of assembly, in 1837, with Alvin Plumb and Calvin Rumsey. [Family sketch not received in season for insertion here.]
Methodist Episcopal Church .- A class was formed in the " Abbey," by Elder David Preston, in June, 1830. It consisted of 8 members : Ira and Elizabeth Richardson, John Franklin, Reuben and Fanny Howe, Caleb Weaver, John Lafferty, and Isaac Bumpus. Of those who joined soon after, were : Andrus M. Huyck, Wright Lewis, Hiram Lewis, Wm. McClanathan, R. McClanathan, Caleb Weaver, and probably the wives of some of them. A portion of its members were from the adjacent towns of Sheridan, Han- over, and Arkwright. Mr. Huyck has been a class leader most of the time since its organization. The class increased to the number of 60 the first year. Although it has continued to prosper, 110 church edifice has been built ; meetings having been generally held in the district school-house, the present house having been, in its construction, designed partly for that purpose.
A Christian Church was formed in the south-west part of the town ; but the date of its organization has not been ascertained.
BUSTI.
BUSTI, named from Paul Busti, general agent of the Holland Land Com- pany, was formed from Ellicott and Harmony, April 16, 1823. It comprises the west half of township I, range 11, excepting the four north lots which were in 1845 annexed to Ellicott ; and three-fourths, or six tiers of lots, from tp. I, r. 12 ; together with that portion of tp. 2 lying south of the lake, and between Ellicott and Harmony. It contains an area of 29,152 acres, or about 4512 square miles. It is drained by several small streams which flow into the lake, and by the branches of the Stillwater, which passes through Kiantone into the Connewango.
Original Purchases in Township I, Range 12.
18ro. April, Samuel Griffith, 4. May, Tho. Bemus, 12. December, Jonas Lamphear, 48.
18II. March, Wm. Matteson, Jr., 40, [Ellicott.] May, Jedediah Chapin, 4. Palmer Phillips, 11. October, Nathaniel Fenner, 15.
228
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
1812. February, Joseph Phillips, II. March, Anthony Fenner, 6. Thomas Fenner, Jr., 15. April, Theron Plumb, 7. August, Barnabas Well- man, Jr., 38. Reuben Landon, 7.
1814. May, Arba Blodgett, 25.
Elisha Devereaux, I. July, Asa Smith,
2. October, William Bullock, 17. 1815. April, Peter Frank, 5, 6. Blodgett, 33. Ford Wellman, 47.
June, Josiah Thompson, 28. Cyrenus November, Josiah Palmeter, 15.
1816. April, Harris Terry, 63. October, Harris Terry, 47.
1817. September, Nicholas Sherman, 16. Lyman Crane, 8.
1818. September, William Gifford. October, Samuel Hart, 8.
I 822. September, Ransom Curtis, 39. November, Peleg Trask, 17. Jared Farnam, Jr., 34-
1823. June, Joseph Taylor, 39. October, Ethan Allen, 45. Silas C. Carpenter, Isaac Foster, 54.
1824. February, John Badgley, 43. March, Ford Wellman, 54, [Har- mony.] July, Elijah B. Burt, 37. October, Barnabas Wellman, 31. No- vember, John Kent, 30. December, Samuel Darling, 35.
1825. January, John Buck, Jr., 20. February, Xavier Abbott, 10. March, Jairus Buck, 19. June, David Hatch, 7. August, Wm. Nichols, 38. George Martin, 13.
1826. November, Benjamin A. Slayton, 43.
1827. September, Alexander Young, 24.
The State Gazetteer names John L. Frank as the first settler in Busti, on lot 61, 1810, and Lawrence Frank as settling the same year on lot 62 ; and Heman Bush and John Frank, from Herkimer county, and Theron Plumb, from Mass., on lot 60, in 1811. The land records, however, show as pur- chasers, Russell Dyer, of lot 47, tp. I, I. II, and James Slade and Hezekiah Seymour, of lot 38-all as early as September, 1808; and Laban Case, of lot 36, in June, 1809. Aaron Martin purchased lot 44, in April, 1810 ; Lawrence Frank, lots 62 and 63, and Heman Bush 60, in 1811. The only other Frank who appears on the Company's books as an original purchaser in range 11, is John Frank, Jr., who bought a part of 61, and who, in' his own handwriting, states that he came to Busti, Feb. 1, 1812 ; that his brother Nicholas came in 1816, and that his brother Stephen left Busti in 1817, and died at Fort Pekin, Tennessee, on the Mississippi river, on his return from New Orleans ; his family then residing near Vincennes, Ind. John L. Frank, yet living, [1874,] and other early settlers, concur in the fact of his having settled in Busti in 1811. Hence there is some doubt as to who was the first settler in Busti, and as to the date or year of his settlement. [See sketches of Frank families.]
In the south-east part of the town, Wm. Stearns settled on lot 35, which, after his death, was owned by his son, John R., who also is dead. It is now owned by John Barlow. James Davidson, a son-in-law of Wm. Stearns, is on land adjoining, on the south. Timothy Tuttle was an early settler on lot 50 ; the farm now owned by his son Edwin. Wm. Northrop and his sons Joseph, John and William, from England, settled south of Busti Corners, on lot 57, on which the father and two of the sons, Joseph and John reside. William, Jr., owns a farm on lot 58, and lives at the Corners.
229
BUSTI.
In the north part of the town lying in township 2, range 12, Gideon Gifford early bought parts of lots 1 and 2, where he resided till his death, March 19, 1856. His sons, Walter C., Matthew C., and Daniel, inherited the estate. Matthew is not living. Uriah Bentley settled, in 1810, on lot 16. [See Biographical and Genealogical Sketches.] Daniel Shearman settled on 16, and died on the farm on which he first settled. [See Family Sketch.] George Stoneman settled early on lot 16, and held for several years the office of justice of the peace. He had sons : George, a graduate of the military academy at West Point, and a general in the regular U. S. army, who was in actual service in the late war; Richard, dead; Byron ; and one in the West. Jeremiah Gifford, a cousin of Gideon Gifford, from Washington Co., settled on lot 23, where now his son John lives. Other sons, William and Henry, reside at Mayville; Horace, son of William, lives at Jamestown. Abraham Sherman settled on lot 23. His sons, Abraham and Merritt, reside on the farm. A. Phelps, an early settler on lot 41, died at Ashville. Thomp- son Cowan was an early settler on lot 8, where Charles Douglas lives. He died leaving six sons, John, Charles, Samuel, Ransom J., Fortes, and James, all of whom reside in Busti. Samuel Smiley, on lot 16, where his son Madi- son lives. He had a large family. Of his sons, William, John and Samuel reside in town.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.