History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 29
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 29
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
In the north-east part of the town, range II, Zadoc Root settled on lot 47, and lived there until his death. He had sons, Zadoc and Philander, both deceased, and William, who resides on lot 55. Ephraim Wilcox settled early on lot 63, on which he still resides. Of his sons, Francis S. lives in Elli- cott ; Amos P., on the homestead ; Leander and Abraham, at Busti Corners. Solomon Hastings settled early on lot 38. A son is with him on the farm ; a daughter is the wife of Dr. A. Ward, of Jamestown. Harlo Mitchell set- tled on lot 45, near where he now resides. David Boyd, where his son Martin lately resided. Aaron Martin settled on lot 44, where he died, and where his grandson Lorenzo lives. He had sons : Capt. William, in Kian- tone ; George, who settled on lot 13, 1. 12 ; was a justice of the peace for two or three terms. He had several daughters, none now residing in town.
In the vicinity of Busti Corners, Heman Bush, from Litchfield, N. Y., came to Busti in June, 1812, having previously, [1810,] bought a part of lot 60 ; April, 1811, lot 61, on which he settled ; and in October, 1812, lot 59. He kept a tavern, and conducted a store and an ashery for many years, and died, May, 1839, aged 62. His widow, whose maiden name was Abigail Frost, died in 1872, aged about 90. His sons were Heman C., Selden F., Hiram, Solon, Solomon, and Stephen. Heman, Solomon, and Stephen removed to California ; Hiram died in Busti ; Selden is in Iowa ; and Solon at Busti Corners. A daughter married John Campbell, who resides on the farm of her father. They had a son Heman, deceased; and Woodley, a Baptist missionary in Hindoostan. Aaron Bush settled early on lot 53. He had a large family. Of his sons, Moses, the only one living, resides in Ellicott. Asahel Andrews settled on lot 60, and died there. His sons were:
230
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Enos, who removed West, and is dead ; Delos, who resides a mile north-east from Busti Corners ; Charles, deceased; Merrills, removed West; and George, who lives at Busti Corners. David Hatch early purchased a large tract, and settled on lot 61. The land is still owned by his heirs. A son, Solomon G., lives in Ellery. Lorenzo Matthews first settled on lot 5, tp. I, r. 12 ; removed to lot 62, r. 11, where he died. His sons were : John, deceased ; David, who resides in town ; and Jonathan P., in Kansas. Hen- drick Matteson settled on lot 62, r. 11, and died in Herkimer county. A son, Albert, resides in Sugar Grove ; and Philo and Monroe reside in Busti. His widow lives with Philo.
In the north part of township 1, Stephen A. Douglas was an early settler on lot 15, where he now resides. His sons are : Stephen, deceased ; Charles ; Silas, a lawyer in Buffalo ; Lathan, on the farm with his father. James Cale, from Sugar Grove, in 1817 or 1818, resided on lot 7, and in other places, and died in town. His sons, Jesse, James, and Harry, reside in town ; and Stephen, in Penn. Amariah Carrier, on lot 15, and died in Erie Co., N. Y. His sons were : Jesse and David, both dead; Robert is in Iowa ; Henry, dead; Amariah, in Jamestown ; Edwin Douglas now owns the farm.
In the north part of township I, range 12, Jonathan Palmer settled early on lot 8, previously owned by Reuben Landon. Whitman and Amos, twin sons, reside in town ; Whitman on the home farm. Jonathan, the eldest son, and Henry, are dead ; and Denison lives in Pennsylvania. Nicholas Sher- man settled on lot 16, where he died. His sons, Winslow and Daniel, reside in town ; the latter on the homestead. Alexander Young, in 1826, on lot 24, where he died. His sons were : James, deceased ; Jonathan, who resides in Ellicott ; and Ira, on the farm owned by his father. Obed G. Chase on lot 24 ; removed a few years ago to the Corners, where he now resides. He has 2 daughters : Elizabeth, wife of John Hatch, of Portland ; and Adelia, wife of Charles Moore, of Jamestown. Joseph Sherman, on lot 32; the land previously owned by John Deming. He died on the farm, which is owned by his son Joseph Sherman. Benj. Cook came to Busti, in 1831, on lot 40, where he died. He was the father of Judge Orsell Cook, of Jamestown, who is the present owner of the farm. Jonas Lamphear on lot 48, bought in 1810 ; the land now owned by John Boomer, previously owned by John Kent, son-in-law of Lamphear. John Stow was an early settler on lot 17, where Broughton W. Green resides. -Wemple came early on lot 47, where now his sons Peter C. and Rial C. reside. Wm. Nichols settled on lot 38, bought in 1825, where he still resides ; had 2 sons : Lyman, deceased; and Levant, who is with his father on the farm. Barnabas Wellman, a native of Conn., moved with his family to Busti in 1811, and settled in the north-west part of the town, on lot 38. He had 5 sons : James, Homer, Barnabas, Ford, and Leander C., who settled in the neighborhood ; all of whom died leaving families. Homer had 4 sons : Homer H .; Orrin O., who died in Busti ; Dewitt C .; and Ardillo, who lives at Ashville.
In the south part of the town, Daniel Hazeltine settled early on lot 3, the
231
BUSTI.
land since owned by S. & W. Gates, now by Horton White. His sons were : Abner, Laban, Daniel, Abraham, Edwin, Pardon, and Hardin. Laban, Daniel, and Abraham died at Jamestown; Pardon in - Ezra, a son of Edwin, resides in Warren, Penn. Asa Smith settled on lot 2, which he bought in 1814. His sons were : Ammi, who resides in Penn .; Albert M., deceased ; Aaron J., Jasper, Lewellyn J., and Edgar, in Busti. Clark Smith, a brother of Asa, came in 1816, and settled on lot 2. His wife was Rhoda Allen. His sons were : Oliver, Ransom J., Ezra, Sheldon, Harvey A., deceased ; and Julius C., hardware merchant and postmaster at Busti. Of the others, only Ransom resides in town. John Broadhead on lot 18. He was a Methodist preacher. He removed to the West, and after a few years returned, and lives with his son-in-law, Nathan Breed. His sons are : Jabez, Fletcher, Jonathan, and James ; the last only resides in Busti; the others gone west. Hiram E. Knapp settled on the farm originally bought by Palmer Phillips, lot 11. He has two sons, Edwin and Lafayette. John Gill, on lot 3, and died on the farm on which Mark Jones resides. Gill has a son, Giles T., in the West. Levi Jones on lot 12, where he died. A son, Edward, lives in Ellicott. Zenas K. Fox, on lot 11, where he still lives. He has 3 sons : Almon, a Congregational minister, in the West; Alfred, who resides on a part of his father's farm, a Methodist preacher ; and Albion, in Ten- nessee.
In the south-west part of township 1, Arthur P. Nichols settled on lot 44, where he now lives. He has a number of sons, some of whom reside in the town. Hiram L. Barton, about 1823, on lot 34, where he died. His sons are : Livingston, on the old farm ; Allen, near the same; De Warren, not in Busti. W. Seabury settled early on lot 33, where he died, and where his sons Pliny and Newell reside. Jeremiah Woodin, on the north part of lot 41 ; died in Harmony. His sons were : Abraham, who died in Mich .; Isaac, who resides in Ellicott ; Samuel P. and Hiram J., both of whom died in Busti ; and John P., who lives in Indianapolis, Ind. Arba Blodgett settled on lot 25, bought in 1814, and died on the farm, leaving two sons, Loren, now in Washington, D. C .; and William, who died in Sugar Grove. Cyrenus Blodgett, in 1815, bought on lot 33, and settled on 25 ; removed to Sugar Grove, where he died. He had 2 sons : Alanson, a physician in Penn .; and Alden, who died at Sugar Grove. Wm. Bullock, in 1814, purchased on lot 14. His wife is a sister of Palmer Phillips. They had four sons : Irvin, not in the town; Alvin, in town ; Arba, in Sugar Grove ; Chester, in Meadville. The father served in the war of 1812, and is a pensioner. A daughter is the wife of David Albro.
In the west part of the town, Jesse Foster early resided where his son Jacob now lives, and died on lot 29, where his widow resides.
In the central part of the town, Nehemiah Mead settled on lot 21, where he died many years ago. He had 4 sons : William, who removed to Minn .; Ira G., and Thompson G., on the homestead ; and Francis, in Minn. Joseph Ayres, on lot 30 ; was a justice of the peace. His sons are: Charles ; Alfred;
,
232
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Conway, who served in the late war, as lieutenant and captain of the 9th cavalry, and was killed ; and Sereno, now in New York. William Robbins was an early purchaser on lot 29, where he died, and where his youngest son Orrin resides. Other sons, John and Ira, live in town. David Palmeter, on lot 14, in 1814. Sons : Orlando, in Ohio; Dewitt C., dead; Preston, in Union, Penn .; Josiah, in Ohio. The father is dead. Josiah Palmeter, on the same lot in 1811 ; was a justice, and lives in Minn. A son, Theron, is also in Minn; Washington, in Ellicott.
A tannery was built by John Frank in 1812. The first vats were troughs made of logs. It was burned, and rebuilt, and continued until about ten or twelve years ago. No other tannery, it is believed, was ever in this town.
A last factory was established by Mr. Frank, which was destroyed by fire, and not rebuilt. A trip-hammer was built by Giles Chipman and Lyman Fargo, and continued several years.
Uriah Hawks, a little later, built a chair and spinning-wheel factory at the same place, which also was discontinued, on account of the difficulty in main- taining dams on the stream.
The first blacksmith in town is said to have been Patrick Camel, at the tan- nery. Next, Chipman & Fargo commenced business near Camel's, and after- wards removed their business 60 rods south, and added to it the manufacture of edge tools with a trip-hammer. Present blacksmiths are Walter Stevens and Wm. Howe.
The first store at the Corners was kept by Van Velzer, about 1830. The next, by Ransom L. Blackmer ; and next by Valentine C. Clark & Co. Present merchants-Adelbert P. Simmons, Edwin Davis & Co., and Andrew F. Husband & Co. Grocers-Martin F. Flagg & Co. Hardware-Julius C. Smith. Boot and shoe-makers-Michael C. Frank, Davis Frank, Frank- lin Hosford. Carriage-makers-Wm. Jones, Eli Whiting, Wm. Peckham. Early carriage-makers were Giles T. Gill and - Haskell. .
Stephen J. Brown, probably the first physician who settled at Busti, came about the year 1837, and practiced there about 20 years. Before his death Dr. Bennett came and practiced a few years. Dr. Martin came in 18-, and is the present physician. Since he came, Drs. Alex. Boyd and John Lord were here several years.
The first saw-mill at the Corners was built by Heman Bush, where a mill is now owned by Alonzo C. Pickard. A clock factory was built at the same place about 1830, by Samuel Chappell and James Sartwell, who continued the manufacture for several years. After its discontinuance, a grist-mill was built on the same site by Heman Bush ; and another afterwards by Francis Soule. Both are now owned by Alonzo C. Pickard and Mark Jones. A saw-mill was built near the south line of the town, by Elisha Devereaux, where a mill is still in operation, on Stillwater creek. Another was built near the east line of the town, by Samuel Hall, on the farm now owned by his son John A. Hall. Another was built by George Stoneman, at the lake, where a mill is still running. Orrin Stoddard erected a steam saw-mill at the
Floral Bentley
233
BUSTI.
Corners about 15 years ago, which is now owned by Reuben Green. A planing-mill was attached, but soon discontinued ; and a basket-factory and a shingle machine have taken its place.
The first town meeting was held at the house of Heman Bush, Tuesday, March 2, 1824, and the following named persons were elected town officers :
Supervisor-Daniel Shearman. Town Clerk-Emory Davis. Assessors- David Hatch, Homer Wellman, Samuel Garfield. Commissioners of High- ways-Thomas Danforth, David Boyd, John Deming. Overseers of the Poor-Heman Bush, John Gill. Commissioners of Schools-David Hatch, Daniel Shearman, Clark Smith.
Names of Supervisors from 1824 to 1875.
Daniel Shearman, 1824 to '28, and 1833-6 years. Emri Davis, 1829 to '32, and '34, '35, '40, '47-8 years. Pardon Hazeltine, 1836 to '39-4 years. Henry C. Shearman, 1841, '42, '44, '45. Lorenzo Matthews, 1843, '48, '49, '50, '53. Stephen J. Brown, 1846. Theron Palmeter, 1851, '52, '54. John B. Babcock, 1855. Emri Davis, Jr., 1856 to '58, and '61, '62-5 years. John A. Hall, 1859, '60, '71. John R. Robertson, 1861, '63, '64, '68-4 years. Elias H. Jenner, 1865, '72. Wm. B. Martin, 1866, '67. Harmon G. Mitchell. 1869, '70. Alonzo C. Pickard, 1873, '74, '75.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
URIAH BENTLEY, from Rensselaer county, came to Chautauqua county in May, 1810, and settled on lot 9, township 2, range 12, now in the north part of the town of Busti. He cleared a small piece of land, which he planted with potatoes, and built a small house after the common pioneer pattern. In the ensuing fall he returned for his family, and moved to his new home with a horse team, by way of Mayville, where he arrived the last day of No- vember, 1810. There being no road on the west side of the lake, he shipped his family and goods down the lake in a long canoe, reaching his home at midnight. Uriah Bentley was a son of Caleb Bentley, and was born in Berlin, Rensselaer Co., June 21, 1779, and was married, December 28, 1800, to Nancy Sweet, who was born May 7, 1779. Of Mr. Bentley it is perhaps sufficient to say, that he passed through the common experience of the industrious pioneer, and, like most of the early settlers, reared a goodly number of worthy sons and daughters. They were: 1. Nancy, who mar- ried, first, Nicholas Frank, who died in the South, while on a lumbering tour, soon after marriage ; second, Dan Higley. They have several children, and reside in Iowa. 2. Polly, wife of Charles W. Sammis, who died in 1849. She resides in Polo, Ill., and has 8 children. 3. Uriah S., who married Almira Daniels, and is deceased. She married, second, Clark Sweet, and resides in Harmony. 4. Sibyl E., wife of Isaac Noble ; she had a daughter, Minerva, and is deceased. Mr. N. has a second wife, and lives at Fluvanna. 5. Hiram, who died at about 60, unmarried. 6. Simeon G., who married Alice, daughter of Gideon Gifford, and has no children. 7. Alexander, who married Lavantia Norton, resides at Fluvanna, and has 4 sons : Sardius ;
234
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Gustavus A., who married Sarah Williams; Charles M., and Uriah. 8. Gus- - tarus A., who married Cornelia, daughter of John Steward, Sr., and had two daughters : Marian, who died at 17, and Frances C., wife of John S. Briggs, of Russelburg, Pa., and a son, Fred A. 9. Ulrica C., wife of Theron E. Palmeter, Clear Lake, Cerro Gordo Co., Ia. ; has three children. 10. Minerva, who married Alfred W. Steward, and is deceased ; he resides in Clymer.
ASA BLY, from Vermont to Otsego Co., N. Y .; removed thence to Chautauqua Co., in 18-, and bought on lot 47, tp. 2, r. 12, the land on which his sons Myron and Theron settled ; the former in 1809, the latter in 1810. Myron moved down the Ohio river, and died in Kentucky ; and his family returned. His son Myron, Jr., now resides in Ashville.
THERON BLY, son of Asa Bly, was born in Bennington, Vt., July 31, 1786, and removed, in 1810, from Otsego Co., N. Y., to Harmony, on lot 47, near the lake. He married, in 1805, Phebe Bemus. His children were : Theron S. ; Harvey, who married Julia Ann Stoneman ; Desire, wife of Henry Love- joy ; Henry Harrison, who lives on the homestead ; Sally, deceased ; Perry, who married Esther Lovejoy, and served in the late war, and was killed in the battle of the Wilderness ; and William, who died at about 17. Theron Bly was a member of assembly in the year 1832, associated with Dr. Squire White, of Fredonia. He died in March, 1850, aged nearly 64 years.
. THERON S. BLY, son of Theron Bly, was born in Edmeston, Otsego Co., Jan 29, 1806, and came, when 4 years old, with his father to Harmony. In 1830, at the age of 24, he was elected a justice of the peace, and reelected for a second term of 4 years. He was for many years engaged in the mer- cantile, milling and grain business, at Ashville. He was county clerk from Jan., 1859, for a full term of three years. In 1862, he removed to James- town, where he has been a justice of the peace from 1864 to the present time ; having served in that office in both towns for about 20 years. He was married, in 1830, to Mary Bly, of Madison Co., who died in March, 1850. His children were : 1. Aurilla J., wife of Dr. Marvin Bemus, who re- moved to Wisconsin, enlisted in the late war, and, on his way to the army, was killed by a railroad accident near Chicago. 2. Mary E., wife of Edson E. Boyd, a physician at Ashville, 3. Cordelia, who married Dwight Snow ; they reside at Cohoes, Albany Co. 4. Ellen, deceased. 5. Webster W., who is married, and lives at Cohoes. In 1854, Mr. Bly married for a second wife, Sarah A. Carpenter, who is still living.
DEA. RICHARD BUTLER, a native of Wethersfield, Conn., removed from Hamilton, N. Y., to Ellicott, now corner of Busti, with his sons Solomon and Harlow, and purchased the farms of Wm. Deland and John Numan, on which farms the three families settled. All united with the Congregational church, of which the father was chosen a deacon. He died in June, 1839, aged 78. His widow died at the old homestead, March, 1852.
EMRI DAVIS, born in Wardsborough, Vt., Oct. 20, 1794, came to Ellicott with his brother Ebenezer, July 3, 1812. They were traveling from Vermont
Strabridge & Co Lith Cvr . O.
Theron f. Bly.
235
BUSTI.
on foot ; and between Buffalo and Cattaraugus creek, they heard of the declaration of war against Great Britain. There was a general alarm. Many fled with their families to the East, having sold their crops and improvements for little more than enough to pay the expenses of their removal. Timid ones generally believed the Indians would soon murder those who remained. Emri Davis married Amy, daughter of Joseph Akin, and soon after settled in the Frank settlement, now Busti. He was eight times elected supervisor of the town. He had 3 sons : Lafayette, Emri, and Adams, the last of whom removed to Crawford Co., Pa. All had families. Emri Davis died Jan. 23, 1860, aged 68.
FRANK FAMILIES .- HENRY FRANK and his brother Christopher emigrated from Germany to America before the "old French war." They landed at Philadelphia, and remained in the state of Pennsylvania for a number of years, and removed to this state, and settled on the Mohawk river, at Frank- fort, Herkimer Co. Henry Frank's sons were Henry, Lawrence, and Jacob, who was killed in the Revolutionary war. His daughters were Eve, Mary and Margaret. Eve and Mary were twins ; the former became the wife of John Frank, Sr., of another Frank family noticed on a succeeding page ; the latter, the wife of the father of John Myers, an early settler in Carroll. The wife and children of Henry Frank were captured by the Indians, in the time of the French war. In an account of their captivity, John Frank, a son of John Frank, Sr., says, in substance, as follows : His mother, at the age of ten years, was taken by the Indians, and kept among them three years ; and her twin sister, John Myers' mother, was taken at the same time, and was kept a year longer, as she had the small-pox when her sister was exchanged for. And he says, his mother's mother, five daughters, and a son eighteen months old, were taken to near Montreal-all at the same time. The mother had to carry the boy and keep up with the rest, or have him tomahawked. [The above account leaves us without information respecting the term of the captivity and the release of the mother and the children, other than the twin sisters. ]
LAWRENCE FRANK, son of Henry Frank, above mentioned, was born in Frankfort, Oct., 1749. In 1777, he was taken prisoner by the Indians and tories, carried to Quebec, and kept in captivity 3 years and 3 months. He was married in Frankfort to Mary Myers, who was born in Germany, in 1753, and came, when young, with her parents to Frankfort. Lawrence Frank died in Busti, April 13, 1813 ; his widow, Dec., 1831. Their children were: Lawrence, Jr., Margaret, Elizabeth, Peter, Henry L., John L., Michael, Joseph, and Matthew. Lawrence, Jr., died in Herkimer Co .; Margaret, wife of Stephen Frank, died in Ohio ; Elizabeth never came to this county; Peter died in Ohio. Henry L. married Margaret Damoot and moved to Kirtland, Ohio, where both died.
JOHN L. FRANK, son of Lawrence, Sr., was born at Frankfort, Nov. 29, 1786, and was married to Lucretia Chapman. In 1811, he removed to Busti, on lot 62, tp. 1, r. 11, and subsequently to lot 6, r. 12, where Mrs.
236
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Frank died, March 14, 1874. Mr. F. lately died at Busti Corners. He had 14 children, of whom 4 daughters died in infancy. The others were : I. Michael C., who married Sally Sherwin, whose children were John S., Harriet E., Mary Jane, Matthew, Alice, Electa, and Addie. 2. Almira, the wife of Ransom Burrows; both deceased. 3. Charles, who married Mary Woodin, and has 3 sons: Warren A., George D., and John J. 4. Alonzo, who married Jane Woodin, and lives at Blockville. His children are Levant C., Harriet M., Jane, Ophelia. 5. Mary Jane, who married Jacob Cham- bers; and is dead. He resides at Pine Grove, Pa. 6. Harriet M., who married Denison Palmer, and is dead. He lives in Pennsylvania. 7. Lorenzo, who married Melissa Harnes, and whose children are West, Sidney, and Clara. 8. Davis, who married, first, Alvira Brown, second, Elizabeth Brown, and whose children are Theodore, George, Dwight, Laverne, Duane, De Etta, and Earl. 9. Marietta, who married Samuel Smith, whose children are Levant and Frank. 10. Ariel, who married Margaret Steward, and has two sons, Emmet and Fred.
JOSEPH FRANK, son of Lawrence, was born Oct. 3, 1796, and came with his parents to Busti in 1811. He was a volunteer in the war of 1812, and killed in the Buffalo battle, Dec. 31, 1813. He was shot through the head, and scalped by the Indians; and his body was buried in a common grave with other killed, and never brought home. He was unmarried.
STEPHEN FRANK emigrated from Germany to this country about the mid- dle of the last century, with his son John Frank, then about 7 years old. The place of his first settlement is not ascertained ; but it is supposed to have been in Pennsylvania. John, the son, was married to Eve Frank, whose father was also from Germany, and settled in that state. It is not known that this Frank family was akin to Henry Frank and his descendants, or that there was any connection prior to the marriage just mentioned. All of them, however, removed to Frankfort from Pennsylvania before the Revolu- tionary war.
JOHN FRANK, SR., son of Stephen, above mentioned, was born in Ger- many about the year 1743, and settled at Frankfort, Herkimer Co., N. Y., ``where he was married to Eve Frank, and whence he removed to Busti in 1811, where he died, Nov. 5, 1833. He, with Lawrence, son of Henry Frank, before mentioned, and two girls, Eve and Mary Frank, of the Stephen Frank family, were captured, in the " old French war," by the French and Indians, on the Mohawk, and taken as prisoners to Canada, where they were kept several years among the Indians before they were ransomed. John Frank was again taken prisoner in the Revolutionary war. At Oneida lake, the first night after his capture, he escaped from his captors, and by the aid of friendly Indians among the Oneidas, safely reached his home at German Flats. In 1817, Stephen, son of John Frank, Sr., with his family and his parents, and his mother's maiden sister, moved down the Ohio river, and stopped at Gallipolis, Ohio, where the father, John Frank, Sr., died. The others proceeded to Columbus, Ind., where the maiden aunt died. Stephen,
Michael Frank.
237
BUSTI.
with two of his sons, went with a flat bottomed boat and produce to New Orleans ; and on his return he died on the Mississippi, and was buried on the shore. His brother, John Frank, Jr., went to Indiana and brought his mother back, who died at his house some years after, at an advanced age. His mother's maiden sister, on her return from her captivity among the In- dians, had forgotten her mother tongue, and was taken from the Indians against her will, having been kept from her relatives, and forgotten them. The Franks suffered much from the Indians on the Mohawk.
John Frank had three sons : 1. Stephen, who married Margaret, daughter of Lawrence Frank the elder. Their children were: Nicholas, Matthew, Polly, wife of Jacob Loy, Stephen Denus, Hiram, Eve, Solomon, Elizabeth, and Jacob and Joseph, twins ; the last three of whom were born after the removal of the family south. 2. Nicholas, who married Thankful Landon, and had 5 children : William, Andrew, Stephen, David and Mary. William was mar- ried, first, to Ursula Bushnell, whose children were : Darius ; Emma, wife of Sylvester Abbott ; and Nicholas, who died at 17. He married, second, Christiana Diefendorf, and had by her a son, John D., now on the homestead of his father. Andrew was a shoemaker and tanner, having served under his uncle, John, Jr. He was twice married ; first, to Sibyl Ames, who had a son, Whitney, a daughter, Mrs. Fisher, of Randolph, and one or more dead ; married, second, the widow of Pearl Johnson, and removed to Wisconsin, where he died. Stephen married Amanda Watkins, and after her death, a second wife, moved west, and died there. David married, first, Laura Ben- nett, and after her death, her sister. His widow and family are in Minnesota. Mary Ann married, first, Samuel Bowdish ; second, John Ellsworth, and has several children living. 3. John, Jr., the third son of John, Sr., married Elizabeth Diefendorf, of German Flats, N. Y., and removed to Frank's set- tlement, Feb., 1812. His children were : Abram, John D., who died at 14, Margaret, Harriet, Perry, Christiana, and Elizabeth, all born here. Abraham married Fidelia Dexter, and had 3 children, Dwight, Gertrude, and Augusta. Margaret married Darius M. Davis, whose children are : Adelaide, wife of Frank Bartlett ; Harriet, wife of Abraham Hazeltine, cashier of the Savings Bank, Warren, Pa .; Albert, who married Bell Porter, and lives in Warren ; Hila, who married Ella Stoddard, and is in Warren ; Walter, and Dora, both unmarried. Perry, son of John, Jr., resides in Iowa; Christiana married Francis Kidder, Jamestown, and has a daughter, Ada. Elizabeth married Wm. Hicks, and is not living. All of the children of John Frank, Jr., were in the settlement in 1859.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.