History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 35
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 35
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
WILLIAM PEACOCK was born in Pennsylvania, Feb. 22, 1780, and removed to Lyons, N. Y., and thence to Batavia about 1800, where he engaged as surveyor for Joseph Ellicott, agent of the Holland Land Company. After having served the Company as clerk and surveyor, at Batavia, and surveyed
+
278
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
tract of 40,000 acres on the Genesee river, he laid out and surveyed the site for the present city of Buffalo and other places; and subsequently sur- veyed the lands in Mayville and vicinity, and the village of Ellicottville. In 1810, he commenced his agency, at Mayville, for the Holland Company, which agency he held until the Company sold out its unsold lands, in 1836. After the county had become fully organized, he was appointed by the board . of supervisors treasurer of the county. He was also early appointed an associate judge of the county court. He was married to Alice Evans, a niece of Joseph Ellicott, who died, April 19, 1859, aged 79. They had no children. Judge Peacock still resides at Mayville, at the advanced age of nearly 96 years.
JOHN F. PHELPS, the second son of Dan and Polly Phelps, was born in Reading, Schuyler Co., N. Y., Feb. 27, 1819. He is a descendant of Wil- liam Phelps, a native of Exeter, England, born in 1600, and came to America in 1630, landing at Boston. His maternal ancestors, too, were from England in the 17th century. His parents settled in Ripley in 1827. He came to Mayville as an apprentice to the printer's trade, in July, 1837, under Beman Brockway, publisher of the Mayville Sentinel. After his apprenticeship, and after working as a journeyman at various places, and teaching school a year, he returned to Mayville in 1842, and was again employed by Mr. Brockway. In April, 1844, he purchased the establishment, and has since been sole pro- prietor and editor of the paper. In August, 1843, he was married to Julia A. Walter, second daughter of Sheldon and Elizabeth Walter, who was born in Sangerfield, Oneida Co., July 28, 1823. Their children were : Walter S., who died in 1865, aged 21 ; John O., who resides at San Francisco, where he married Charlotte Hester, only daughter of Judge Hester, of San Jose, and is deputy coroner of San Francisco ; Frank C., who lives with his father; and Julia, who died April 3, 1874, at the age of 12.
ANSELM POTTER, son of Gen. Daniel Potter, was born at Plymouth, Conn., Nov. 20, 1786. ' He entered Yale College at 17; but having, by close at- tention to study, become partially deranged, he did not complete his college course. He afterwards commenced the study of law in New Haven, and completed it at Litchfield, in the law school of Judge Reeve. He came to Mayville about 18rr, being one of the earliest lawyers in the county, and re- sided there until his death. His remains were subsequently carried to Logansport, Ind., whither his family had gone to reside. Also those of his eldest daughter, who had died at Mayville, were taken to the same place. Mr. Potter had the reputation of an upright man, and was generally esteemed. He became a member of the Presbyterian church at Mayville at about the time of its formation.
WILLIAM PRENDERGAST, SR., was born in the city of Waterford, Ireland, Feb. 2, 1727. He was a son of Thomas and Mary Prendergast. The brothers of Thomas were: James, Richard, and Jeffrey. William came to America when a youth, and settled in Pawling, Dutchess Co., N. Y., where he was married to Mehetabel, daughter of Jedediah and Elizabeth Wing, of
-
279
CHAUTAUQUA.
Beekman, N. Y., who was born March 20, 1738. Mr. Prendergast died at his residence in Chautauqua, Feb. 14, 1811. His wife died Sept. 4, 1812. Their children were: I. Matthew; [see sketch.] 2. Thomas; [see history of Ripley.] 3. Mary, wife of Wm. Bemus, of Ellery; [see history of Ellery.] 4. Elizabeth, who died unmarried, Aug. 30, 1824. 5. James; [see history of Jamestown.] 6. Jediah; [see sketch.] 7. Martin; [see sketch.] 8. John Jeffrey, who settled in Herkimer Co .; and was never a resident of this county; was a state senator from 1814 to 1818; removed to Brooklyn. He had two sons: William, who died in youth ; and Hon. Martin Prendergast, who recently died at his home on Long Island-the last of the family. 9. Susanna, who was married to Oliver Whiteside, who died before her re- moval to this county. They had 3 children: Martha, who married Willard Crafts, and removed from the county ; Ann, who married Hon. John Birdsall, judge of the 8th judicial district, and had a son, John Birdsall, now residing in Mayville; and one who died in infancy. 10. Eleanor, who died at 13. II. Martha, who died, unmarried, December 9, 1849, aged 74. 12. William, who was a major in the war of 1812. He was promoted to the office of colonel, and commanded a regiment at the battle of Black Rock. Riding in front of his regiment, mounted on a white horse, which rendered hini very conspicuous, the British, supposing him to be the general in command, fired at him by platoons. He fearlessly passed the gauntlet in safety ; though his horse was shot in several places and mortally wounded; and a number of bullets passed through the cloak and hat of the colonel, and one cut away the knot of his cravat. He was married in Chautauqua county to Deborah Weed, and had a son who died in infancy. 13. Minerva, who was married to Elisha Marvin, of North-east, Pa., and had 2 children: William E., in North-east; and Elizabeth, unmarried, who lived with him, and died recently.
MATTHEW PRENDERGAST, eldest son of William Prendergast, Sr., was born in Pawling, N. Y., Aug. 5, 1756, and was married to Abigail Akin. They removed to Chautauqua in 1807, on the west side of the lake, about 6 miles below Mayville, where now Edw. Stevens resides. Mr. Prendergast was the first supervisor of the town of Chautauqua after the county was fully or- ganized, in 18rr, Pomfret having been taken from Chautauqua in 1808, of which town Philo Orton was supervisor. He was 60 years of age before he emigrated from Pittstown to this county. He was infirm from rheumatism, and walked with a staff. He retained his Revolutionary costume, and wore long hair tied in a cue with a leather string; was a man of integrity and sound judgment, and made a good officer. He was appointed a justice of the peace in 1808; served many years as an associate judge of the county, and died at his pioneer residence, Feb. 24, 1838, aged 83 years. His children were : 1. William, born in Pawling, and came with his father to Chautau- qua in 1807 ; and, in the fall of the same year, went to Thorold, in Canada, to study medicine with his uncle Jediah, and was with him 4 years, and re- turned to Chautauqua in 1811. In 1815, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Martin Prendergast ; lived in Mayville about two years, and removed to
280
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Jamestown ; and in 1820 to his farm on the west side of the lake. In April, 1836, he removed to Mayville, and in 1841 returned to his farm, where he resided until March 11, 1857, when he died of apoplexy. 2. James, who lived and died on his father's homestead, and whose son Maurice also died there; the farm now in possession of Edw. Stevens, as above stated. 3. Lilleus, a daughter, the wife of Jared Irvine; both deceased.
JEDIAH PRENDERGAST, fourth son of William, Sr., was born in Pawling, N. Y., May 13, 1766, and was married to Penelope Chase, who was born in South Kingston, R. I., Dec. 22, 1774. He was one of the company that made the tour from Pittstown, N. Y., to Tennessee, and thence north to Chautanqua, and one of those who went from Ripley to Canada to winter, where provisions were more plentiful. He did not return with the rest; but, being a physician, remained there to practice his profession. In 1811, he left Canada, and settled at Mayville, where he commenced the mercantile business, in partnership with his brother Martin, in the fall of 1811. In 1813, they established a branch store on the Chautauqua outlet, at the " Rapids," now Jamestown. Both stores were continued many years. Jediah also bought land [350 acres] on the west side of the lake, 2 or 3 miles below Mayville. [See p. 266.] In 1817, he was a candidate for the senate. One senator was to be elected for the full term of four years, and one for only one year to fill a vacancy. By the then existing law, the person having the highest number of votes was elected for the longest term. Isaac Wilson, of Genesee Co., was a candidate, it is believed, of the same party, and both were elected on the same ticket. But Wilson claimed the seat for the long term. Prendergast contested the claim on the ground that 91 votes had been given for Jedediah and ro for Jed. Prendergast, which were intended for Jediah Prendergast. Counting these, he had a majority of nearly 100. The committee on elections reported in favor of Prendergast ; but the committee of the whole negatived the report ; and Wilson took the seat for the full term. He also represented the county in the assembly in the years 1816 and 1817, and again in 1820 and 1821. At the time he rep- resented what was then called the Western Senate District, his brother, John J., of Herkimer Co., was a senator from the Middle District. Dr. Jediah Prendergast was a man of varied accomplishments, a scientific scholar, and numbered Martin Van Buren, De Witt Clinton and Peter R. Livingston among his friends. He died March 1, 1848. His wife, Penelope Chase, died while on a visit to her son-in-law, Hon. Hamilton Merritt, at St. Catha- rines, Canada, Feb. 1, 1845.
MARTIN PRENDERGAST, fifth son of William, Sr., was born in Pawling, Dutchess Co., N. Y., April 22, 1769; came from Pittstown to Chautanqua in 1807, and settled near his father and others of the family, on the west side of the lake. He married, in Pittstown, Martha Hunt, who was born April 14, 1774. He commenced merchandising with his brother Jediah, at May- ville, in 1811, and, in 1813, opened another store at Jamestown, both of which were continued many years. He was elected supervisor of the town
то плетал
-
ใคร !!
281
CHAUTAUQUA.
of Chautauqua in 1815, and continued in that office by reelections till 1833 inclusive, except 1817, and perhaps 1818, (the records of the latter year being probably lost ;) having served 17 or 18 years. It has been said of him that he "carefully watched the public expenditures, was an estimable man, and a rigid economist." He was an associate judge of Niagara county when Chautauqua remained annexed to Niagara for judicial and other pur- poses. He died June 21, 1835, aged 66; his wife, Dec. 30, 1831, aged nearly 58. They had 2 daughters : 1. Elizabeth, the wife of Dr. Wm. Pren- dergast, son of Matthew. [See sketch of Dr. P.] 2. Maria, who married Robertson Whiteside, and had 2 sons : Wm. P., who resides in Mayville ; and Martin, who lives in Illinois.
JOHN R. ROBERTSON was the son of George Robertson, of Scotch descent, who came from Cazenovia, Madison Co., N. Y., to Sheridan in 1825, and removed, in 1827, to Jamestown, where John R. was born Dec. 18, 1833. In 1838, the family removed to Crawford Co., Pa., where he was educated at "Aunt Mary's School." In 1843, the family returned to this county, and settled in Busti, where, at the age of 14, he engaged as a clerk in the store of V. C. Clark. After a clerkship of five years, he became a partner, and continued as such for 2 years. In 1855, he associated with Emri Davis, and was in trade with him 2 years ; and thereafter alone until 1870, when he was elected county clerk. After the expiration of his official term, he purchased the Mayville House, of which he is still proprietor. He was married in 1855 to Evolin B. Brown, and has 2 children living, Blanche L., aged 16; and Halcon L., aged 7 years.
MILTON SMITH came to Mayville from Delanti. His father, from Frank- lin Co., Mass., settled in Stockton, in 1817, and subsequently removed to the village [Delanti,] where he died in 1867. Milton, while in Stockton, was for six successive years elected supervisor ; and in 1854 was elected sheriff of the county, and removed to Mayville, where he has since resided. He has also held the office of collector of internal revenue in the district com- posed of Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties. He was married to Jane C. Woodward. They have 2 sons : Edgar F., who is married, and resides at Brocton ; and Lewis M., also married, lives with his father. They have 3 daughters : Eunice, at home ; Isabella L., wife of George W. Lawton, in Mich .; and Rosetta, wife of Thomas D. Hammond, Mayville.
WATERMAN TINKCOM, from Saratoga Co., settled in Mayville, in 1810, and has resided there to the present time. He is 81 years of age, and is said to be, with one exception, the oldest resident of the village. Of his 4 sons, two, Samuel E. and Charles A., reside in town. Daughters : Mary Jane was married to Wm. Ward, Mayville; Harriet A., to Philip White ; Minerva C., to Robert B. McDonald, Titusville.
JEDEDIAH TRACY was born in Richmond, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, Jan. 2, 1777. Soon after attaining his majority, he settled, in April, 1799, near Colt's Station, Erie Co., Pa. In December, 1804, he returned to Mass., and was married to Polly Royce, of Lanesborough. They resided in Erie
282
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
until 1815, when they removed to Mayville, where they spent the remainder of their days. He soon opened there a public house which he kept for many years, and which became perhaps the most widely known and popular house in the county. In April, 1819, he was appointed postmaster, and held the office until April, 1837, when he resigned. His promptitude and accu- racy in the discharge of his official duties were so appreciated by the depart- ment, that he was commissioned to investigate charges, settle defalcations, and make changes at his discretion. He was for many years overseer of the poor. On the organization of St. Paul's church, in Mayville, in April, 1823, he was chosen as vestryman, and served as such until April, 1843, when he resigned. He was for several years employed by the Holland Land Company as their agent to visit the different towns to examine and appraise the cattle taken by the Company on contracts ; and took them in droves to Philadel- phia. In the obituary notice of his death it is remarked : " His life was one of usefulness and honor, ever making friends, and having made them, ever retaining them." Of his ten children, three sons and two daughters still sur- vive to cherish his memory and imitate his example. The children of Mr. Tracy were : 1. Jedediah Royce, who married Martha Peacock, and resided in Iowa; he died in 1850. 2. Laura S., who died at Mayville, aged 50. 3. Perry B., unmarried, resides in Iowa. 4. Clarinda, wife of George Kirby, removed to Detroit, where she died. 5. Phebe Parmelia, who married Aaley Randall, and is deceased. 6. Mary, wife of Samuel T. Nelson, Detroit. 7. Martha M., wife of Henry W -; died at Mayville. 8. Dewitt C., who married Angeline De Camp; they reside at Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory. 9. Harriet M., who married Jacob S. Otto, Washington, D. C.
SAMUEL S. WALLON was born in Argyle, Washington Co., N. Y., April 20, 1804. At the age of 8 years, he came with his parents to Mayville, where he resided until his death. With such an education as the early common schools furnished, combined with good sense and correct principles, he com- menced an active career, and attained a high and an honorable position. At an early period, he filled several town offices creditably and satisfactorily. He commenced his mercantile career as a clerk, became a partner, and at length sole owner of the establishment in which he first engaged. He repre- sented his assembly district in the legislature of 1855. In the fall of 1856, he was elected canal commissioner, and held that office at the time of his death, July 6, 1858. Mr. Whallon was an honored member of the Metho dist Episcopal church. He died at Erie, Pa.,' July 6, 1858. He was mar- ried, Sept. 6, 1829, to Maria Bell, who is still living. They had seven children, of whom two died in infancy. The five who survived him are all living. 1. George W., who is married, and resides in Minnesota ; 1. Mary M., widow of a Mr. Archibald ; resides in Corry, Pa. ; 3. William M., 4. Samuel S .; 5. Frank H., wife of Lewis M. Smith, Esq., Mayville. Samuel A. and Martin P. died in infancy.
ROBERTSON WHITESIDE, son of John Whiteside, from Washington Co., N. Y., was married to Maria Prendergast, and settled in Chautauqua about 1820.
Leerdick Tracy
283
CHAUTAUQUA.
He was for a time engaged in business with Matthew P. Bemus, they having bought out Morris Birdsall. He was county treasurer in 1836 and again in 1838-39 ; and in 1841, he was a member of assembly. He had two chil- ' dren : William P., who married Maria J. Cornell, of Washington Co., and had four children : Edward R., Neil Martin, Ann Eliza, and Maria J .; Mar- tin P., who married Sarah Holmes, daughter of Seth W. Holmes, and whose children are Henry and John.
CHURCHES AND OTHER ASSOCIATIONS.
The First Baptist Church of Mayville was organized with 38 members, by Elder Jonathan Wilson, a pioneer missionary from Vermont, February 7, 1820. Mr. Wilson was the first pastor of the church. The church edifice was built in 1834.
The Chautauqua Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Mayville, was formed about 1820. Their house of worship was erected in 1851.
St. Paul's Church, of Mayville, was organized with about twenty members, in April, 1823, by Rev. David Brown, who was the first pastor. The first church edifice was contracted in April, 1826. It was accepted in January, 1828, and consecrated by Bishop Hobart, Sept. 4, 1828. The present house was built in 1859, and consecrated by Bishop Coxe, May 18, 1865.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Dewittville, was formed with ten members, in 1835, by William Gifford. Their house of worship was pur- chased of the Baptists, the same year. The first pastor was Rev. Mr. Burgess.
The First Free-will Baptist Church of Chautauqua Hill, four miles north from Hartfield, was organized with five members in 1840, by Rev. T. V. Main, the first pastor, and a Mr. Neely. A house of worship was built about 1842, which has recently been occupied by the Methodists.
Summit Church, Methodist Episcopal, near Summit Station, where a class had been formed, built a house of worship through the instrumentality, it is said, of John H. Flagler, in 1849. The first pastor after the completion of the church building was Rev. John K. Hallock.
The Christian Church, at Dewittville, was organized December 25, 1852, by Rev. E. H. Mosher, the first pastor, and E. H. Halladay. Their church edifice was erected in 1856.
Mount Pleasant Church, United Brethren, three and a half miles south-east from Mayville, was organized with eight members, in 1858, by Rev. Z. Sul- livan, who was the first pastor. A church edifice was built in 1865.
The United Brethren in Christ, of Elm Flats, were organized with eight members, Feb. 1, 1863, by Rev. N. R. Luce, the first pastor. A house of worship was erected in 1861 ; the present one, in 1870.
St. Peter's Church, German United Evangelical Protestant, at Mayville, was organized with twenty members, in 1871, by Rev. O. Schroder. Their church edifice was erected in 1871. The first pastor was the Rev. Jacob Weber.
284
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Summit Lodge, No. 312, was formed in the year 1818, as is supposed. The date of its charter does not appear on the records, which commence thus : " 5818. Mayville, November 10th. Summit Lodge opened in due form on the First Degree of Masonry." About 20 members were present. Ebenezer P. Upham, Sylvester B. Derby, Wm. Smith, Jr., Edward Taylor, Otis Dexter, Lewis Macomber, Asahel Derby, and Thomas Treat, applied to become members. It was voted, that two dozen aprons be procured before the next meeting ; a half dozen to be lambskin; and that brothers Lyon and Hearick be a committee to procure them. To this is added : " Lodge passed to the degree of Fellow Craft. Lodge raised to the degree of Master. Closed in due form." This lodge was sustained and its meetings were regularly kept up, until May 11th, 1824, which is the date of the last meeting under the then existing organization.
In 1850, a number of the brethren, upon consultation in respect to the reorganization, appointed a meeting for that purpose to be held at Hartfield, Aug. 31st. The meeting was held accordingly; and Mayville was designated as the location of the lodge. A petition to the grand lodge of the state for a dispensation was ordered .sent, which was in due time received. The first regular meeting was held Nov. 4, 1850, at which were present the fol- lowing named members :
Thomas B. Campbell, W. M .; Abijah Clark, S. W .; Dexter Barnes, J. W .; R. Taylor Comstock, Sec'y; Wm. P. Holmes, Treas .; David L. Cochran, Tyler ; George Clark, J. Dea .; David Myers, Nathan Cheney, Egbert Wilson, Wm. Hill, John Russell, Walter Strong. The fifth and last regular com- munication of the lodge at Mayville which appears on the records, was at the lodge-room, Feb. 14, 1851. Its location was changed to Westfield.
-
CHERRY CREEK.
CHERRY CREEK was formed from Ellington, May 4, 1829, and comprises township 4, range 10, of the Holland Company's surveys. In the south part are several swamps. The soil is clay and gravelly loam. The Conne- wango creek passes southerly through the town near its east border, and re- ceives the waters of Cherry creek about a mile south-easterly from the village of Cherry Creek. The surface is hilly in the north-west, and rolling in the south-east. Cherry Creek village is a little south-east of the center of the town ; has a post-office, the only one in town, and a population of 271.
Original Purchases in Township 4, Range 10.
1815. March, Joshua Bentley, 15; [settled on by Joshua, Jr.] April, Joshua Bentley, 9; [settled on by Joseph M. Kent. ] May, Gardner Crandall. 1816. May, Barber Babcock, 19. June, Ely D. Pendleton, 20. Octo- ber, Reuben Cheney, 18.
1817. June, Elam Edson, 18. November, Rufus Hitchcock, 49.
285
CHERRY CREEK.
1818. April, John Smith, 17. August, Hiram Hill, 49.
1821. October, John P. Hadley, 41. Henry Babcock, 20. Alvah Had- ley, 41. Julius Gibbs, 41. Robert James, 36. Nathaniel Gibbs, Jr., 11. Eliphalet W. Wilcox, 17. Robert Page, 13.
1823. March, James Carr, 14. December, Enos A. Bronson, 56.
1824. February, Eason Matteson, 10. March, Ira B. Tanner, 46. May, Amos Abbey, 64. Nathan Worden, 16. June, Jared Ingalls, 22. Ira Bassett, 25. July, Ward King, 17. October, Wm. G. Carr, 24. Dudley Waters, 48.
1825. April, John Luce, 58. Wm. Lathrop, 24. May, Ira Bassett and Samuel W. Wilcox, Jr., 25. September, Geo. Burdick, 38. October, Aury Cronkhite, 21. Asahel H. Mallory, 21. Eddy Wetherly, 28. November, Robert James, Jr., 35.
1826. April, Putnam Farrington, 63. October, Lyman Town and Thos. King, 56. December, Henry Luce, 55.
1827. April, Ebenezer Still, Jr., 39. June, Stephen Blaisdell, 18. Sept., Nehemiah Osborne, 31. Israel Seeley, 31. Issachar Hammond, 30.
1829. June, William A. Bowen, 13. July, Thomas King, 18. Decem- ber, Sylvester Osborne, 14.
Concerning the time and place of the first settlement in this town, there are conflicting statements. French's State Gazetteer says : "The first set- tlement was made on lot 15, in 1812, by Joshua Bentley, from Rensselaer Co." This is not correct. The Land Company's book shows him a pur- chaser, April 14, 1812, of a part of lot 54, tp. 2, r. II, [now Ellicott ;] Aug. 6, 1814, of 297 acres of lot 7, tp. 3, r. 10; and April 12, 1815, of 300 acres of lot 16, tp. 3, r. 10, [both now Ellington ;] March 2, 1815, lot 15, tp. 4, r. 10 ; and April 12, 1815, 250 acres of lot 9, tp. 4, r. 10, [both now Cherry Creek.] Hence it appears that he did not buy land in Cherry Creek as early as 1812. Persons in this town state unhesitatingly, that Joseph M. Kent was the first settler. One cause of this difference of opinion may be the fact, that there were two Joshua Bentleys, father and son, without being dis- tinguished as senior and junior. Both are called Joshua Bentley. The father bought both the lots in Cherry Creek, 15 and 9, as we are told, and lived on neither. The son bought the two parcels in Ellington, and, it is said, settled on neither. An exchange of land having been made by the two Bentleys, Joshua, Sr., settled in Ellington, and kept a tavern there for a number of years ; and Joshua, Jr., settled on lot 15, or at least became its owner ; and Kent settled on lot 9.
An early settler of Cherry Creek says : " The first settlement in the town of Cherry Creek was made by Joseph M. Kent, on lot 9, in the spring of 1815." He was a native of Royalton, Vt., and, after having resided succes- sively in Herkimer and Onondaga counties, removed to Gerry, [now Cherry Creek,] as above stated. He came with a wife and seven children, three of whom still reside in the town : Nancy, afterward the wife of Eliphalet W. Wilcox ; Samuel B., and Joseph. Mr. Kent and his family seem to have had quite an average share of the toils and privations of pioneer life. When he had faised his log house and covered it with hemlock bark, and cut out
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.