History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 37
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 37
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
294
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Robert James, Jr. The church was fully organized with seven members, in 1857, by Rev. O. L. Mead. Their church edifice was built in 1859. The present minister is Rev. A. Wilder.
A Christian Church was organized in Cherry Creek, March 23, 1839. The elders officiating were Warren Skeels and N. A. Perry. Seth S. Chase was chosen ruling elder, and Sullivan Gardner deacon and clerk. Members at the organization of the church were : Sullivan Gardner, Seth S. Chase, Putnam Farrington, Warren Skeels, Fanny Chase, Sally Carr, Lepha Weaver, Mary Weaver, Lucy Grover, Betsey King, Harriet James. This church has no meeting-house, but maintains its organization.
The Free-will Baptist Church, in the town of Cherry Creek, was formed about the year 1826, by Rev. Thomas Grinnell ; and is said to have been the earliest religious organization in the town, and was composed of John P. Hadley and wife, Jotham Godfrey and wife, and Mrs. Gardner Crandall. The society built its first meeting-house about the year 1845.
The First Baptist Church of Cherry Creek was formed Feb. 5, 1831, un- der the title name of " Branch Church of the Connewango Church." The following are the names of the constituent members : Ira B. Tanner, Eunice Tanner, John Essex, Almerin Bly, Prudence Bly, Samuel Hodges, Lydia Hodges, Covel Nickerson, Carlana Nickerson, Daniel Osborn, Mercy Bab- cock, Betsey Matteson. In October following, Jared Ingalls and Abigail, his wife, united with the church. In 1832, it was deemed expedient to form an independent church ; and with this view, letters of admission were ob- tained from the Connewango church. A council from churches in Hanover, and Gerry, and the Connewango church, met on the 26th day of October, and constituted in due form, the First Baptist Church of Cherry Creek. In January, 1833, the church elected Jairus Nash, deacon, and Covel Nicker- son, clerk. Their first church edifice was dedicated January 11, 1849. Their first pastor was the Rev. James Bennett ; the present is the Rev. John A. Pickard.
Masonic Lodge of Cherry Creek .- In June, 1855, a dispensation was granted by the grand lodge of the state, on petition of D. B. Parsons, J. Z. Safford, Curtis O. Denison, John Hubbard, Versal Farrington, together with the fol- lowing, who were appointed officers : Wm. S. Blaisdell, W. M .; Alvah Billings, S. W .; Oliver B. Main, J. W .; George B. Aldrich, Treas .; George Hopkins, Sec'y. A charter was granted in June, 1856, by the grand lodge, with the officers above named. R. W. Parsons and John O'Neal had be- come members while the lodge was working under the dispensation. Since the organization with a charter in 1856, its membership has increased to up- wards of 100. William S. Blaisdell was elected master, and continued in that office by reelection for seven years.
The Cherry Creek Lodge of Odd Fellowes was instituted April 6, 1852, David S. Forbes installing officer. Its first officers were : John T. Clark, N. G .; Anthony Morian, V. G .; Silas Vinton, S .; O. C. Chase, T .; R. N. Tanner, P. S. Meetings of the lodge have been for some time suspended.
295
CLYMER.
CLYMER.
CLYMER was formed from Chautauqua, Feb. 9, 1821, and now comprises the single township 1, of range 14; Mina having been taken off in 1821; French Creek, in 1829; and Sherman, in 1832. The surface is a hilly up- land, broken by the valleys of Broken Straw creek and its branches, one of which passes southerly through the village and unites with the principal stream about a mile below ; another, from the north and north-east, enters it about a mile and a half east of the village. The soil is a gravelly loam. The population of the town in 1870 was 1,486, of which number the village contained about 400. This is the principal place of business in the town, and derives a considerable portion of its trade from the town of French Creek. Besides the post-office in the village, North Clymer is a post-office on the Buffalo, Corry & Pittsburgh Railroad. There are several dense settle- ments in the town : King's Corners, in the north-east part of the town, on the Harmony line ; Clymer Center, on the railroad ; and Clymer Hill, about 2 miles west of the latter place. About one-half of the population of the town are Hollanders and their descendants.
Original Purchases in Township I, Range 14.
1820. May, William Rice, 59. July, Gardner Cleveland, Sr., 58.
1821. October, Horace and Anson Starkweather, 43. Joseph Wing, 51. November, John Cleveland, 58.
1822. March, Thomas Russell, 50.
1823. January, Leonard Amidon, 52. October, William Rice, 60.
1824. June, Ebenezer Brownell, 35. Harry E. Brownell, 28. Joseph Brownell, 50.
1825. May, Amon Beebe, Jr., 30. August, Elisha Alvord, 21. October, Joseph W. Ross, 55.
1826. April, Charles Ross, 56. May, Moses Randall, 23. July, David Phinney. October, Jeremiah Glidden, 3, 8.
1827. March, Darius and Walter Freeman, 47. Ralph Pettit, 47. April, Jeremiah R. Doolittle, 37. May, David Glidden, 16. June, Samuel Bligh, 32. August, Andrew Glidden, 16. September, Oscar F. and Daniel C. Glidden, 8. October, Francis F. Allen, 2.
1828. May. Alvah Marsh, 40. Archelaus Chadwick, I. John Pettit, 47. July, Benjamin Sullivan, 63. Samuel Ross, 27.
1829. July, Lyman Brown, 26. September, Jeremiah Chamberlain, 53. October, Urbane Hitchcock, 15. 4
1830. August, Harry E. Brownell, 28. September, Jackson Johnson, 33. Thomas Russell, 50.
The State Gazetteer says : "John Cleveland settled on lot 58, in 1820;" and " William Rice, from Washington Co., settled on lot 59, in 1821 ; Hor- ace and Anson Starkweather, from Vermont, on lot 43, in 1822." By refer- ence to the list of original purchases, it will appear, that Wm. Rice was the first purchaser, May, 1820, of lot 59; Gardner Cleveland, July, 1820, of lot 58 ; the Starkweathers, of lot 43, Oct., 1821 ; and John Cleveland, lot 58,
/ 1
296
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Nov., 1821. This would seem to cast a doubt upon the statement that he was the first settler. It must, however, be remembered, that, as elsewhere stated, purchasers did not always settle on their lands the same year. It is said, by early settlers, that Mr. Rice did not settle on his land until 1821, and that John Cleveland's land was a part of what had been. taken up by his father ; and that he settled on it before he took an article in his own name. Hence, it is presumed, the late Ira F. Gleason, an early settler, stated cor- rectly, "that the date of the first sertlement in what is now Clymer, was in 1821, and that John Cleveland was the first settler."
Since the above was written, the following statement has been found, with John Cleveland's own signature : "John Cleveland, son of Gardner, born in Pomfret, Conn., Sept., 1789, moved to Paris, N. Y., when 2 years old ; to Rutland, N. Y., in 1807; and in 1815 came to French Creek; in 1820 came to Clymer." This last statement agrees with that of early settlers, who say the Clevelands made a sojourn of a few years in French Creek before their purchase in Clymer.
Since the printing of this History commenced, a former citizen of Clymer said to the writer, that he often heard Mr. Rice say, that he settled, in 1821, on the land he bought in May, 1820 ; and that a few weeks or months after- wards, John Cleveland settled on an adjoining lot. As Mr. Rice was esteemed as a man of veracity, and can hardly be presumed to be mistaken in the matter, the question of priority of settlement can not yet be positively stated.
Silas Freeman, from Cayuga Co., in 1828, settled on Clymer Hill, where he died. His wife died the same year. They had 13 children, of whom were Darius and Walter, who settled on lot 47, and Leonard B. Darius re- moved to Illinois ; thence to Iowa; and thence to California, where he died. Walter removed to Illinois, and died there.
Leonard B. Freeman, son of Silas, was born in Cayuga Co., July 9, 1814, and came to Clymer in 1828, at the age of 14. He was married, April 25, 1838, to Betsey, a daughter of Wm. F. Brown, who was born January 10, 1821. He settled on Clymer Hill, near the center of the town ; whence he removed, in 1853, to French Creek, and in 1856 to Clymer village, where he now resides. His business has been that of a farmer and of a dealer in cattle. He has held several town offices, and was once elected a justice of the peace, but declined to qualify. He had 5 children: Wilhelmina, Constan- tine, Morley, Eugenia, wife of Phineas I Morris, and Adelia. Morley en- listed in the late war, in 1861, under Col. Drake, of the 112th regiment, and died in the hospital, April 30, 1862.
Peter Jaquins removed from Guilford, Chenango Co., to Cattaraugus Co., in 1820, and settled, in 1825, on lot 42, which he bought in 1824, near the present railroad depot, where he now resides. Like many other pioneers, he was fond of hunting, in which he was excelled by few in this region. His children were : Bruce, who resides near his father ; Edward, who resides in Kansas, and owns a large tract of land, and is an extensive dealer in cattle;
297
CLYMER.
Wallace, who died in Penn .; Art, a dealer in cattle, in town. A daughter, Elizabeth, resided for a time in California, where her husband died. She now resides in this town near her father, and has a daughter, Mary S., born in California, now 16 years of age. Peter Jaquins was- a soldier in the war of 1812, from Chenango Co., and was in the battle of Queenston.
Ralph Pettit, front Cayuga Co., settled on lot 47, in the north part of the town, where he still resides. He has held several responsible town offices. His children were : Justus, Clarissa, Lovena, Ralph, Charlotte, Polly, James, and Burrows, besides twins, not named. Justus was married, and died in Penn. Clarissa, wife of Wm. Russell; and they removed to Kansas. The others are married, and reside in the county.
Horace Starkweather, born in Brandon, Vt., in 1794, and has been repre- sented by himself or some other person, to have come to Clymer in April, 1820, and was the first to commence as a farmer in the town. This conflicts with the statements elsewhere given relating to the early settlement of the town. The Company's books show Wm. Rice's contract for land to have been the first in this town, in May, 1820. Starkweather's is dated October, 1821 ; and the State Gazetteer says he settled on lot 43 in 1822. Although the date of contract does not always determine the date of settlement, it is not probable that Starkweather settled so early as 1820.
Samuel Wickwire, from Madison Co., about 1828, settled on lot 16, north- west part of the town ; subsequently on lot 23, where he still resides, at the advanced age of 85 years. He had 4 sons: Samuel, deceased; Nathan, who lives in Ripley; Ira G., who owns a part of the homestead farm; and Alfred Y., on the farm first purchased by his father. Two daughters were: Mary, wife of William Rice, of Sherman ; and Cornelia, wife of William Wells, of Clymer.
Urbane Hitchcock, from Madison Co., settled on lot 15, bought in 1829, where he still resides. His 2 sons, Henry and Harvey, are residents of the town. He had five daughters, of whom none, it is believed, reside in the town.
Charles Brightman, an early settler on lot 30, removed to Mason City, Iowa. He had no sons, but a large number of daughters, none of whom, it is believed, reside in the town. Mr. Brightman was for 4 years supervisor of the town.
Alexander Maxwell settled on lot 30, where he now resides. His sons, Charles. Samuel, Edwin, and William, reside in the neighborhood of their father ; Henry, in Newark, New Jersey ; and George, removed to the West. A daughter married Wm. Cleveland, and is deceased.
Dr. Peck settled early in the north-east part of the town, on lot 6; and still resides there. He was an early practicing physician in Clymer. He had a large family of children, most of them deceased.
David Phinney, from Brandon, Vt., settled on lot 41, in 1826, where he lived until his death, aged nearly 81 years. He had 3 sons, Harvey A., Daniel P., and David. Harvey came to Phelps, Ontario Co., in 1810, where
298
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
he practiced medicine until 1828, when he came to Clymer, and practiced until his death. Daniel was a deacon of the Baptist church ; removed to Marengo, Ill., where he now resides. David, Jr., went to California, and is probably not living.
Artemas Ross, son of Charles Ross, came with his father from Chenango Co., in 1824, to Clymer Hill. He married Mary Jones, daughter of Thomas Jones, of French Creek ; studied law with Abner Lewis, Esq., of . Panama ; and was licensed as an attorney. His children were: Thomas, a druggist at Findley's Lake ; Charles, and Ida.
The first town-meeting was held, April 3, 1821, at the house of Gardner Cleveland ; and the following named officers were elected ; the town then comprising four townships :
Supervisor -- Ande Nobles. Town Clerk-David Waldo. Assessors -- Wm. Rice, Roger Haskell, John M. Fitch. Com'rs of Highways-Roswell Coe, John Cleveland, Alexander Findley. School Inspectors -- Ephraim Dean, Ande Nobles, John Lynde. School Com'rs-John Heath, Roger Haskell. Overseers of Poor-Alexander Findley, Roswell Coe. Fence Viewers and Damage Appraisers-Wm. Thompson, Amon Beebe, Jr., Roger Haskell. Constable and Collector-Eli Belknap.
Supervisors from 1821 to 1875.
Ande Noble, 1821. John Heath, 1822, '23, '30. Gardner Cleveland, 1824 to '27-4 years. Abishai S. Underwood, 1828. Alex. Wilson, Jr., 1829. Wm. Rice, 1831 to '34, 1836 to '39, 1841, '42, '45-11 years. Har- vey A. Phinney, 1835. Ira F. Gleason, 1840. Moses Randall, 1843, '44. Samuel Bly, 1846, '47. Lyman Brown, 1848. Charles Brightman, 1849, '50, '58, '59. Stephen W. Steward, 1851 to '55-5 years. Jesse Brown, '56, '71, '72. Horatio Hill, 1857. Hercules Rice, 1860. Lawyer S. Terry, 1861. Hartson S. Ayer, 1862, '63, '68, '69, '70-5 years. Joshua Hatton, 1864 to '67-4 years. Otis J. Green, 1873, '74. Jesse Brown, 1875.
The first birth in town was that of Patience Russell, in 1823; the first mar- riage, that of Walter Freeman and Abigail Ross, in 1823. William Rice was the first blacksmith. The first school was taught by Maria Stow, sister of John Stow.
The first store in Clymer is said to have been kept by John Stow, in 1823. John Heath and Joseph H. Williams succeeded Stow, and built a pearl- ashery, an indispensable appendage to a pioneer store ; black salts being the only product that commanded cash. Alvin Williams, brother of Joseph, suc- ceeded them in the store, and also kept an inn, in 1826, the first in town. Heath and Williams went to North-east, Pa .; traded there several years, and dissolved. Williams went to Erie, where he was successful in trade, and be- came a banker ; removed to Philadelphia, and there died. Later merchants at Clymer were : Gardner Cleveland, Jr., and Howard Blodgett ; Ira F. Glea- son and John Williams, son of Alvin Williams ; and Gleason and Stephen W. Steward ; Stephen W. Steward; and Ayres & Blood. Present merchants :
299
CLYMER.
Wm. B. Blodgett, Arthur Beach. Druggists, Ayres & Coffin. Hardware and stoves, Willis D. Gallup & Son.
The first tavern was kept by Alvin Williams, in 1826. He was succeeded as innkeeper by his son, John Williams, who built the present public-house in the village. It was kept by him for several years, and is now owned and kept by James King.
The first saw-mill was built by Peter Jaquins, in r825, to which he added a grist-mill the next year. Eight years after their erection, they were burned. A new saw-mill was built immediately, and eight years thereafter, that was burned ; and Mr. Jaquins again built a new one, which he subsequently sold to Porter Damon and John Williams, who built also a grist-mill. Williams sold his interest to Damon, after whose death the mills passed to his sons, Loren and Andrew. The latter sold his interest to Hartson S. Ayres & Bro., and the saw-mill was sold to Hall & Shepard. The grist-mill has been con- tinued by Ayres & Bro., who have within the last year much enlarged and improved it. Hall sold out to Welch, of Buffalo ; and the present proprie- tors of the saw-mill, Shepard & Welch, are erecting a large 3-story mill, in which machinery is to be placed for a planing and a shingle mill. William Rice built a grist-mill about 34 of a mile below the village, on the west branch of the Broken Straw, and sold it to Judson Hurlbut, who built a saw- mill also. Mills are now owned by his son, Byron J., at the same place. Daniel Hurlbut built a saw-mill on Big Broken Straw, on lot 50, a mile below the Shepard & Welch mill. John B. Knowlton now owns the mill, with machinery for planing, turning, and the manufacture of agricultural imple- ments. Thomas Card built a saw-mill in the east part of the town, on lot 20, where he still owns a mill, which is in operation. James Upton built a saw-mill on lot 45, the dam of which is built of stone from a large quarry of his own, near the mill. The mill is not now running. B. Parker early built a mill in the south-east part of the town, on lot 9. A mill on the same site is now owned by Christopher Whitford. A steam saw-mill was built by Shepard & Havens, at Clymer station, and is now owned by William Havens. A steam mill has also been recently built near the center of the town, by Charles Maxwell and Joshua Hatton.
The first physician was Roswell F. Van Buren. . He was a native of Broadalbin, N. Y .; came to Clymer in 1826, and removed to Carroll in 1836, where he practiced many years. He finally removed to the West, and died at Cherry Valley, Ill., Feb. 24, 1863. He was succeeded by Dr. Harvey A. Phinney, who continued in practice here until his death, which was as late as 1852, perhaps later. Dr. Mackers succeeded him. Later were Drs. Spratt, McWharf, and others. Present physician, Artemas Ross.
The first tannery was established by Ebenezer Brownell, on lot 35. He was the principal tanner and shoemaker for about ten years. The next after Brownell were James and Cyrus Chapman, who were followed by John Williams, who built a larger one, continued it for several years, and sold out to - Fritts ; and Fritts to Walter and Loren B. Sessions, the present
300
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
owners. A tannery was established several years ago, by Leonard Koomen, who sold to J. Newton Mckay, on Clymer Hill, [Jackson Corners,] at which an extensive business is done, giving employment to about 30 men.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
LYMAN BROWN, born in Kingston, Luzerne Co., Pa., May 30, 1801; re- moved to Hamburgh, Erie Co., N. Y .; thence to Clymer, and, in 1830, settled on lot 26, which he had bought in 1829, where he died, March 30, 1873. Mrs. Brown died Sept. 30, 1873. Mr. B. was, during most of his business life, a cattle dealer and drover. He held the office of supervisor and other town offices. He had 3 sons and 4 daughters : 1. Jesse, who lives near the late residence of his father, and was for several years supervisor. He was also a merchant, in company with Wm. B. Gleason. 2. Martin, who lives near the homestead of his father. 3. Homer, who owns and occupies the homestead. 4. Amelia, wife of Charles Maxwell, at Clymer Center. 5. Diantha, wife of David Marsh, in Ellery. 6. Angeline, wife of Charles Chappel, at the village. 7. Geraldina, wife of Harvey J. Bemis.
GARDNER CLEVELAND, SR., was born in Pomfret, Conn., Sept. 25, 1763. He was married to Mary Holmes, and removed to Jefferson Co., N. Y., and thence to Clymer, where he settled on land bought in 1820 ; he being the second original purchaser of land in this town. He was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and died in 1851 where he settled. Mrs. C. died in 1830. They had 3 children : 1. John, born in 1788, and was married to Eunice Fitch, who had 11 children, besides one that died in infancy : Hartley A., Susan T., Don Carlos, John F., Mary H., Wm. R., Erastus, Eunice E., Roxa A., Deming S., and Marenus R .; all of them living except Mary H. Hartley and Don Carlos are in Illinois, and John F. is one of the proprie- tors of the New York Tribune. 2. Gardner, Jr., born in 1790, and was married to Lydia Parkhurst. Their children were : Nathan P., Edwin, Gil- bert C., Lydia A., Cordelia, Roxa B., Gardner H., twins, died infants, and John, Nathan and Roxa not living. 3. Roxana, born in 1793, and was married to Wm. F. Brown, and died in 1848. They had 10 children, besides one that died in infancy : Mary, wife of Hercules Rice ; Samuel E .; Frederic T .; William W .; Lydia, wife of John B. Tyler ; Betsey, wife of Leonard Free- man ; Gardner C .; Dorcas ; Jennett A., wife of John W. Chappel ; and Fer- nando C. Mar. William, Gardner, and Dorcas, not living.
IRA F. GLEASON, son of Ira Gleason, an early settler in French Creek, removed with his father from Sharon, Conn., to Madison Co .; was married to. Caroline Force, and, in 1831, removed to French Creek, on lot ro. In 1837, he removed to Clymer, and engaged in the mercantile business, which he continued until 1857. He was a school teacher before and after he came to this town. He was supervisor of French Creek and in Clymer, and was also justice of the peace in both towns-for several terms in Clymer. His children were : 1. William B., who married, first, Sarah E. Martin, of Hol- land, Erie Co .; second, Mary A. Fuller, of French Creek. He was for
301
CLYMER.
several years a partner of his father in trade, and is at present postmaster at Clymer. He has, by his second wife, 3 children : Mary L., Frank E., and Guy C. M. 2. Charles S., who married Mary Tanner, of Clymer. He is at present a practical engineer in railroad and manufacturing establishments, and resides at Clymer village. His children are : - , Esther, and Iva.
OTIS D. HINCKLEY, born in Livingston Co., settled in Clymer, in May, 1850, where he still resides. He was married to Cordelia, a daughter of Hugh W. Lowry, a merchant at Westfield. He has been several times elected justice of the peace, which office he still holds. He has also held the office of justice of the sessions of the county court. He has also for many years served the people of this region as a surveyor, to the present time. He was elected in November, 1874, to represent the first assembly district in the legislature of 1875. He was also a merchant for a time after his arrival here. He has two daughters, Corrie K. and Mary E.
WILLIAM RICE was born in Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y., March 28, 1787 ; and was married to Rachel Waldo, who was born Sept. 10, 1792. They removed to Mayville in 1810. In 1821, they removed to Clymer, and settled on lot 59, which he bought in 1820. He was for 11 years elected supervisor of the town ; and he was for many years a justice of the peace. In 1840, he represented the county in the assembly, with Odin Benedict and George A. French. Mr. Rice had 12 children, of whom two died in infancy. 1. Almira Maria, wife of Robert Smith, deceased. She resides at Harvard, III. 2. Victor Moreau, [see sketch.] 3. William S., who married Sarah K. Davis, of Hamilton, Ontario, and resides in Buffalo. He was a teacher for about 21 years of the time in the city of Buffalo, where he is at present city superintendent of education. 4. James Wilder, who died at 21, in Iowa. 5. Henry Hamilton, who resides in Ogdensburg, Wisconsin ; his wife de- ceased. 6, 7. Aurilla Cornelia and Marilla Cordelia, twins, the latter de- ceased ; Cornelia, the wife of Cyprian Bracken ; she resides at Yonkers, N. Y. 8. Clark W., who died at 22, in California. 9. Emily A., principal of the Female Seminary at Yonkers, unmarried. 10. Edward C., who mar- ried Laura Emmons ; and is of the firm of Rice, Quimby & Co., commission merchants, New York.
VICTOR M. RICE was born at Mayville, April 5, 1818. He was a son of Wm. Rice, a native of Washington Co., and the first settler in Clymer, in 1821. He graduated at Allegany College, Meadville, Pa., in 1841. Soon after, he accepted the position of a teacher in Buffalo High School, and also established a commercial writing school. He was employed in public schools in Buffalo from 1848 to 1854, during the last year of which time he was city superintendent of schools. From 1854 to 1857 he was state superintendent of public instruction. After three years he was again appointed to that office, in which he was continued for two terms of three years, which expired in April, 1867, having discharged the duties of the office with general acceptance. After leaving college, he engaged as deputy clerk in the county clerk's office at Mayville, and commenced the study of
302
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
law with Wm. Smith, and remained there until 1843, when he went to Buf- falo. In 1846, he edited The Cataract, a temperance paper, whichi was afterwards changed to Western Temperance Standard, of which he became proprietor and publisher. Mr. Rice was married Nov. 26, 1846, to Maria L. Winter, at Madison, O. They had 9 children : Spencer V., a teacher in Lehigh University, Pa .; Clark W .; William W .; Jesse M., who died in 1871, aged 18; William H .; Lemuel D .; Lubin W .; Gracie L .; Abbie M. Of these, William W., Lemuel D., and Abbie M., died in infancy.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.