History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 39
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 39
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
The condition of the early settlers, and the benefits derived by them from a merchant doing a business like that done by him, appears from a letter in the hands of the writer of this History, in which he wrote as follows :
" In 1819, and for two years after, the county did not produce sufficient breadstuffs and meats for the consumption of the inhabitants, whose num- bers were rapidly increasing by immigration. The early settlers generally came with small means: a yoke of oxen and a wagon, or ox-cart; and the small- est amount of household furniture that it was possible to keep house with. The settler's first business was to go to the land-office and get a contract for his 50 or 100 acres of land, on which he paid nearly all his money, generally from $ro to $50, the remainder to be paid in yearly installments, with inter- est. He then put up his log house, with the assistance of his neighbors. He next went to the merchant to get a credit to commence clearing. He would tell the merchant he had a contract for land, and that he was going to clear so many acres, and burn the timber, and make the ashes into black salts. And being a stranger, he wanted to get $25 or $50 in advance, in due-bills for goods to buy a pig and other articles ; the due-bills to correspond in sums with the cost of the articles he wished to purchase, as he could not generally buy more than one in a place."
This was not the only way in which Mr. Smith accommodated settlers. Not every man made black salts. Money for taxes and certain other pur- poses must be had ; and as a surplus of grain was at length produced, which the producer could not send to a distant market, Mr. Smith bought consider- able grain of the farmers for cash; and, though he paid a low price, it was to the producer no small accommodation. For one or two seasons he made contracts with the general government to supply the forts and garrisons along the western lakes. Mr. S. thought the population of the county, when he came into it in 1819, did not exceed 4,000 to 5,000. He says, in the letter referred to:
"The lands along the main road from Fredonia to Westfield were mostly or all settled, and clearings had been commenced ; also from Fredonia east to Silver Creek. But the largest clearings were the first three or four miles east and west from Fredonia. But the clearings on these farms, and those on the road down the Canadaway creek, did not exceed 30 to 60 acres to a farm. But these men were considered the rich men of the county : and their farms were the Egypt that supplied the new settlers with provisions before they had enough land cleared to produce their own. Among the owners of
3II
DUNKIRK.
these farms were Mr. Barker, whose farm included the site of the village, Judge Cushing, Justus Harrington, Abiram Orton, Benj. Perry, Daniel Gould, Otis Ensign, John Walker, Benj. Roberts, the Gouldings, Holmeses, Hezekiah Turner, - Crosby, Martin Eastwood, John Adams, Nathaniel Marsh, Ebenezer Johnson, Seth Cole, Captain Simeon Fox, the Douglasses, Stephen Porter, Judge Philo Orton, and Captain Sprague. These farms, at that time, were not worth over $10 to $20 per acre, and were not readily sold for that."
The foregoing facts were obtained from personal conversations with Mr. Smith and from a written communication, in response to our repeated and urgent request, but which he did not live to finish. Of his enterprises in Ohio and Michigan, little was obtained in conversation, and nothing from his pen. We therefore supply the deficiency, in part, from an obituary notice written by a gentleman, a life-long acquaintance of Mr. S., and who had a thorough knowledge of his business life :
"Could a history be written of all that was above the ordinary range in the life of Walter Smith ; of his early experience as a merchant in Fredonia, and the timely aid he gave to the struggling settlers ; of how, by his personal magnetism, he stimulated activity and enterprise in others ; of the zeal with which he entered into public improvements ; of his share in projecting the Erie Railroad, and in the incipial measures which made its construction possible ; of his labors in laying the foundations of Dunkirk ; of his agency in the early development of the iron interests in Ohio ; of his extensive and successful agricultural enterprise in Michigan, and how the keels he laid plowed the then almost trackless waters of the lake, bringing to his mills in Dunkirk the products of his own western harvests-could all the incidents and results of his forecast and activity be faithfully recorded, it would make a biography of interest and value. * * Some still live who remember the uncommon energy and skill he displayed, his unwearied application to business, his wonderful activity. in traffic, and his liberal public spirit-a mere boy with all the responsibilities and labors of mature manhood. At this late day it is difficult to understand how intimately and largely that country store entered into all the business transacted between the lake and the Conne- wango and Allegany. It became almost a public institution. Scarcely a farm was cleared, a highway opened, or a house or barn erected, but received some impetus, supply or material from the general stock in trade of that ample depository. Orders on Smith's store, and due-bills payable in goods over his signature, became the currency of the country. In 1826, while in the full tide of success, he became associated with De Witt Clinton and others in the proprietorship of Dunkirk, and transferred to that new theater of action, his capital, his prestige, his remarkable talent for business and adventure. *
* That his plans were not always wholly successful was not owing to any want of wisdom in their conception, or energy and address in their execution. Fortuitous events, beyond any human control, inter- vened to prevent the full realization of his hopes, or even a partial recom- pense for his labors. He was largely extended and under heavy pecuniary obligations, incurred in efforts to advance the growth of Dunkirk and increase her commerce on the lakes, when the remarkable financial crisis of 1836 overtook him, and he was involved in the common disasters. We can hardly realize now the desolating blight which then came over the land; blasting the fortunes and credit of individuals, communities, and states.
312
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
He struggled heroically through years of perplexity and trial, and in some measure recovered from his complicated embarrassment. In 1843, he moved to Ohio and assumed the management of an extensive iron establish- ment on the Vermilion river, which he and others had founded in more prosperous days. In 1852, he returned to Dunkirk, where he has since lived in easy fortune and comparative respose, the honored center of a highly respected family, cherishing him with tender and devoted affection."
Walter Smith was married to Minerva, daughter of Mosely W. Abell. Their children were : Mary, who married John M. Barbour, judge of the superior court in the city of New York ; Kate E. M .; Walter C .; Sarah, widow of Hoyt G. Palmer, who died in Dunkirk ; and Cornelia, unmarried. Mrs. Minerva Smith died Feb. 25, 1855. Mr. Smith died Sept. 21, 1874.
CHURCHES.
The Baptist Church of Dunkirk was organized in 1830. Members of the Baptist church at Fredonia residing at Dunkirk, having obtained permission of the church to form a separate society, a council was called for this pur- pose. The names of the petitioners for the new church were : John Bond, James Barnaby, Daniel Bowen, Levi Persons, and sisters Ninett Bond, Susan Barnaby, Lucy Bowen, Lucy Persons, Abigail Woodcock, Celinda Tefft, Elizabeth Fink, and Eunice Raymond. The council met at Dunkirk, March 17, 1830. Letters of dismission from the church at Fredonia were presented by the petitioners, and also by Betsey Farnsworth and Henry H. Ayres from other churches. The council adjourned to the 5th of May, and met on that day. The delegates were : from Mayville church, Rev. Jairus Handy, and brethren S. Cotes, Horace Lapham. From 2d Ripley : H. Chipman, Amos Mason. From Ist Ripley : Isaac F. Butler, J. W. Hill. From Ist Pomfret : Elders Elisha Tucker, Joy Handy ; brethren J. Z. Saxton, Nathaniel Crosby, Benj. Randall, D. J. Matteson. In addition to those having pre- viously presented letters, the following named persons from the first church in Pomfret were received : Benj. J. Robbins, James Hale, Moseley W. Abell, Ruth Abell, Mary Ann Robbins, Cordelia Tefft, Nancy Church, Lovisa Gates, Abel Brown. Articles of Faith were presented and accepted ; and the church was duly acknowledged by the council. May 18, 1830, John Bowen was chosen deacon ; John Bond, clerk.
The Presbyterian Church of Dunkirk was organized May 22, 1830, by a committee previously appointed by the Buffalo Presbytery. The committee consisted of Rev. Isaac Oaks, of Westfield, and Rev. B. B. Gray, of Sheri- dan, with each of them a ruling elder. The following named persons were present with letters : From Fredonia Church-Leonard Parmelee, Harriet Parmelee, Mrs. Lucy Gurnsey, Mrs. Sally Day, Mrs. Polly Ann Brigham, Mrs. Sarah Williams. From Sheridan Church-Elijah Look, Augusta Look. From Montgomery Presbyterian Church-Mrs. Mary S. Capron. From Ver- non Presbyterian Church-Mrs. Abigail Langdon. Of these ten members, of whom only two were males, Mrs. Parmelee, of Ravenna, O., and Mrs. Langdon, of Dunkirk, are the only survivors, [1874.] Rev. Timothy Still-
313
ELLERY.
man, D. D., was the first pastor, commencing his labors Sept. 1, 1830, and continuing in this relation until Sept., 1838. In May, 1839, Rev. James B. Shaw was installed, and continued his pastorate until 1840, when he accepted a call to the Brick church, Rochester, of which he is still the pastor. He was succeeded in June, 1841, by Charles L. Hequembourg, who was ordained and installed Oct. 27, 1841, and served five years. Rev. Lewis Hamilton was called in June, 1849, installed in September following, and resigned June 1, 1853. He was succeeded, June 4, 1854, by Rev. G. W. Timlow, who, after one year, gave place to his brother, Heman R. Timlow, who was ordained and installed Oct. 4, 1855, and tendered his resignation Jan. Io, 1856. In June following, Rev. Wm. L. Hyde was elected pastor, and installed July 18th. In November, 1862, he accepted the chaplaincy of the 112th regiment of New York volunteers from this county. In the spring of 1865, Rev. W. A. Fox was elected pastor, and installed in July, and remained four years. In 1869, he was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. Myron Adams.
Public worship was first held in the school-house on Third street, now known as the lock-up. In 1831, the second story was fitted up for an acad- emy and a sanctuary. In 1834, the society commenced building a church edifice on the corner of Center and Third streets, where the Monroe block now stands. The basement was completed, and continued as their place of worship, and dedicated as such, Jan. 1, 1835. The house was finished, and dedicated in June, 1836. In 1857, the congregation being greatly annoyed during worship by the passing of railroad trains, the society removed their building to the lot now occupied by the new structure. The expense of removal and repairs was about $2,000. The new house is among the finest in the county, and is regarded as an honor and an ornament to Dunkirk. It was dedicated October 16, 1873.
The Episcopalians, Methodists, Catholics, Free Methodists, and Univer- salists, respectively, have churches ; sketches of which had not been obtained before this work went to press. There are also four German churches of different names or orders.
ELLERY.
ELLERY was formed from Chautauqua, February 29, 1821 ; named in honor of William Ellery, a signer of the declaration of independence. A part of Stockton was taken off in 1850. It now comprises all of township 2, of range 12, lying east and north of Chautauqua Lake, together with township 3 of the same range, except 12 lots from the north part, which now form a part of Stockton, and an addition of about 9 lots from the narrow strip of township 3, range 13, lying east of the lake, making an aggregate area of 30,073 acres. The surface is hilly, the highest summits being 400 feet above
314
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
the valleys, and 1,000 above Lake Erie. The soil is a clay loam on the uplands, and a gravelly loam in the valleys. Several small streams take their rise within the town, and flow into the lake, which forms its western and southern boundary.
Original Purchases in the Town of Ellery-Township 2, Range 12.
1806. January, William Bemus, 34, 40. March, William Bemus, 35.
1807. April, Jeremiah Griffith, 10.
1809. July, John Silsby, 34. Joseph Silsby, 34. September, William Smiley, 17. October, John B. Babcock, 3. Peter Simmons, 3.
1810. March, Israel Smith, 26. Stephen R. Ludington, 26. Clark Par-
ker, 27. April, James Smith, 18. David Matteson, 19.
18JI. Jan., Jacob Rush, 13, 20. John Silsby, 20. Aug., Asa Martin, 19.
1812. Nov., William Smith, 21, 18, 13. May, Russell Babcock, 21.
1814. September, Joseph Loucks, 11, 12. Joseph Loucks, Jr., 12.
1815. March, Isaac Young, 2. November, James P. Rogers, 31.
1816. April, Seth Clark, 14. John Miller, 21. Peter Miller, 14.
1818. August, William G. Youker, 13. September, David Klock, 13. November, Daniel B. Carpenter, 45, 48.
1821. October, John Stow, 41.
1823. February, Philip Parker, 20.
1825. July, Nahum Aldrich, 16. August, Philip Parker, 20. December, Samuel Budlong, 9.
1828. February, James Ploss, 7. William Ploss, 6.
Township 3, Range 12.
1809. January, Isaac Young, 45. November, John DeMott, 5.
1810. January, Isaac Young, 45, 53. Thomas Van Wert, 41. John Tinkcom, 42. March, William Barrows, 6. May, Shubael S. Marsh, 63. July, Alanson Weed, 61. December, Elisha Tower, 4.
18II. June, John Bentley, 4. November, Wilson Scofield, 35. Samuel Cheney, 33. Darius Sumner, 54.
1815. June, Abijah Clark, 34. Elias Scofield, 36. November, Jedediah Vorce, 36.
1816. July, Adam S. Pickard, 3.
1817. April, Isaac Young, 30. May, Garret Newbury, 26. July, Elias Scofield, 42. December, William Turner, 26.
1819. March, James Pickard, 3. 1821. October, James Heath, 2.
1823. February, Gilbert Briggs, 9. April, Benjamin Traphagan, 37. June, John Coe, Jr., and Norman Woodworth, 38.
1824. June, Nathan Wilber, 27. September, Azariah Ingerson, 62. Samuel Waterman, 62. November, Smith Scofield, 60.
1825. March, Jacob Simmons, 3. April, Hannah Winchester, 26.
1826. August, Johanan Winchester, 27. Jotham Winchester, 28.
1827. January, David Wilber, 27. July, David Barnhart, 39. Septem- ber, Ira Haskins, 60. Barry B. Fenton, 60.
1828. March, David Ripley, 39. June, Harry Hanchett, 20.
1829. April, John P. Hanchett, 20. September, William Turner and others, 27. December, Alanson Weed and others, 36. Asa Turner and others, 36. John B. Clock, 36.
1830. November, James S. Bennett, 22. 1831. April, Joseph Heath, I.
315
ELLERY.
Part of Township 3, Range 13.
1806.
February, Isaac Young, 3. June, John Putnam, 4.
1807. September, Miles Scofield, 4.
1808. September, Sam'l Cheney, I.
1810. May, Wilson Scofield, 6. Calvin Farnsworth, 6. Darius Scofield, 6.
1825. May, Robertson Whiteside, 3. Shadrach Scofield, 6.
The first settlements, says the State Gazetteer, were made on the lake by Wm. Bemus and Jeremiah Griffith, from Rensselaer county, in 1806. The former located at Bemus Point ; the latter, further south. Though they were probably first in occupancy, they were not the earliest purchasers. Bemus, Jan. 8, 1806, articled lots 34 and 40, in tp. 2, r. 12 ; and March 31, lot 35. Griffith, in April following, articled lot 10. The Company's books show Alanson Weed to have purchased lot 9, tp. 3, r. 13; Filer Sacket, lot 14; and Azariah Bennett, lot 10-all on the 21st of June, 1805 ; and John Her- sey, lot 17, on the 23d of June. All took articles; but Hersey never occupied his lot, and, of course, it reverted to the Company. Though not in the same township with the lands of Bemus and Griffith, they are in the same town.
Alanson Weed, a pioneer settler of Ellery, in a letter written in 1853, gives information respecting the early settlement of this town, in substance as follows: In the spring of 1805, Alanson Weed, of Cayuga Co., Abijah Bennett, Filer Sacket, and John Hersey, started for the West. Near Buffalo they got two horses and some provisions, and went to Chautauqua, and ex- plored the country about the lake. Each selected for himself a lot, and got an article for it, as before stated, and returned home. The next fall, him- self, Bennett, and Elias Scofield and two other men came, staid a month, and returned. In the spring of 1806, Weed came with his family. Bennett came with him, worked during the summer, returned, and brought his family in the next winter. In the spring of 1824, Weed removed to Sherman, and in 1838 to Cherry Tree township, Venango Co., Pa.
Jeremiah Griffith, a native of Norwich, Conn., removed in early life to Rensselaer county, N. Y .; thence to Madison county in 1800; and in Feb- ruary, 1805, he started with his wife and six children for the Western Re- serve, in Ohio. He moved with an ox-team and a wood-shod sled, and with a few cows and sheep driven by the boys. At Batavia he met Alanson Weed and Abijah Bennett, who persuaded him to go to Chautauqua lake. They came by the way of Buffalo and Cattaraugus creek, finding at the latter place only one family, [Sidney,] and at Silver Creek only the family of Abel Cleveland. Thence they went by way of Westfield to the head of Chautau- qua lake, where the family was left, while Mr. Griffith and his eldest son went to seek a place to locate. They proceeded down the lake to Bemus Point, where Mr. Bemus had been settled about two weeks. About 100 rods east of the extreme end of Griffith Point was a grove of young chest- nut trees of second growth, four or five acres in extent, where the numerous corn hills indicated previous cultivation. Here, too, were several mounds, supposed to have been chosen by the "builders" as a burial place. [See p. 17.]
316
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Mr. Griffith having decided to locate at these lower Indian fields, he re- turned for his family at the head of the lake. The two eldest boys were sent around on the beach of the lake, with the oxen and stock, while the remainder of the family took to the ice with hand-sleds, upon which the mother and younger children might ride when they were weary. Just at dark, with great difficulty they reached the shore, which had been hidden from their view by a furious, blinding snow storm. With the aid of a gun and spunk, they struck up a fire by the side of a fallen oak; and under a shelter hastily made with hemlock boughs over the fire, they took quarters for the night.
The next day, with the aid of Mr. Bemus and his men in opening a road, the family reached their destination; and under a temporary shelter made with crotches, poles, and boughs, before dark, on Saturday the 29th of March, they found themselves comfortable and happy. A log house was commenced on Monday and completed on Wednesday, the floor being made of split chestnut logs; and by the middle of May, six acres were cleared, and planted with corn, potatoes, and oats.
Before midsummer, the family supplies were reduced to half a bushel of potatoes and the milk of three cows; and his money was exhausted. But he had 50 pounds of sugar which he had obtained in a trade. A canoe 25 feet in length was made from a large pine tree, and capable of carrying 600 to 800 pounds. In this craft Mr. Griffith and his son Samuel, about 16 years of age, set out for Franklin, Pa., where they made the desired exchange, re- ceiving a bushel of corn for four pounds of sugar. On their return they had great difficulty in rowing their canoe against the current. They, however, reached home in safety, after an absence of fourteen days. The supply of meal was sufficient to last until the growing crop was harvested. The new corn was ground [cracked] in a wooden mortar with a pestle, the like of which is elsewhere described.
Wm. Barrows, a native of New Bedford, Mass., settled, in Oct., 1809, on lot 6. A beech tree, about eight rods south of the grave yard, on the old farm, still marks the place where he built his first shanty. By his request, when he left the premises, this tree was never to be molested, that it might remain a perpetual monument to mark the place of his first home in the wilderness. The next year he built a commodious block-house, known as the " Red Bird," while occupied as a tavern. It was on the great highway opened by the Holland Land Company from Genesee river to the head of Chautauqua lake. In January, 1813, he married Sally, oldest daughter of Major Sinclear. William, his oldest son, died at Chicago, of cholera, in 1848, and his wife and child died a few days after. Barrows, in a few years, con- verted more than 100 acres of the wilderness into fruitful fields. He removed to Lake Co., Ohio, and thence, about 1862, to Illinois, where he died in 1869, aged 81.
John De Mott, in early manhood, having learned the shoemaker's trade, went to Dutchess Co., where he was married ; and soon after removed to
317
ELLERY.
Chenango Co. ; thence, in the fall of 1809, with his wife and five children, to Ellery on the Cassadaga creek, near Wm. Barrows, and so near the time of Mr. B.'s arrival, that it is doubtful which was first on the ground. The date of De Mott's purchase, in lot 5, was Nov., 1809; that of Mr. Barrows, in lot 6, was June, 1810. This, however, does not determine priority of settlement. There being then no bridge across the Cassadaga at this place, the creek was forded or crossed in a canoe whenever he was obliged to go to Canadaway for supplies or milling. His oldest son, Daniel, took the south half of the old farm, where he resided until his death in 1851. His youngest son, Lorenzo, resides near the site of his father's residence. John De Mott died Dec., 1832 ; his wife, April, 1838.
John and Joseph Silsby, in 1809, purchased parts of lot 34, tp. 2, near the lake. John Arnold is now on the homestead of Joseph Silsby ; and J. B. & I. Rush and A. Smiley now, and D. Arnold previously, where John Silsby settled. John Silsby was captain of a company in the war of 1812, and was wounded in the battle of Buffalo. Enos Warner came early on lot 26, tp. 2, on land originally bought of Israel Smith, in 1810. He also owned land adjoining, on lot 27. John R. Russell on lot 30, on land formerly owned by Israel Rush.
John Love, born in Conn., in 1769, came to Chenango Co. while a young man, and Feb., 1811, to Chautauqua, bought out Josiah Hovey, who had just built a cabin on lot 13, t. 3, r. 12 ; sold to Lawrence Stom in 1816, and removed to lot 14; and in 1825 sold out to his son Frederick. He had 4 sons: John, who kept a tavern for 'more than thirty years about a mile south of Sinclairville; Frederick, who, in 1834, removed to De Kalb Co., Ill., where he served for several years as county judge ; Henry, who died in Ellery in 1838; and Christopher, who resides in Illinois. John Love, Sr., had 3 daugh- ters, Sally, Milla, and Ellis. He died at the residence of his son Frederick, in Illinois, in 1859, in his 91st year.
Among the early settlers in this town who were not original purchasers, are those whose names are here given :
In the south-east part of the town, Wm. Atherly settled on lot 5, whose heirs reside on the farm. Henry Strunk also on lot 5, the land now owned by his son Walter. Henry Martin, a Methodist preacher, on lot 19; lately resided on lot II. Marcus, a son, lives in Jamestown. Thomas Arnold, on lot 12, where he still resides. In 1815, Joseph Loucks, from Madison Co., settled in this part of the town, with his sons, John, Daniel, and Hiram; and two daughters : Margaret, wife of Jeremiah Griffith, Jr .; and Polly, wife of Wm. G. Youker. Later came the older sons, Joseph, Henry, Peter, and David; and a daughter, Charity, wife of John Rice, all of whom had fami- lies, or came with them. Morgan, son of Peter, resides on his father's home- stead. Jacob, son of Joseph, lived, until recently, on lot 12, on the farm now owned by Marvin Bly. Elijah E. Hale on lot 17, 1833, where he and his son Wm. F. reside. Wm. G. Youker, in 1818, on lot 13; a son-in-law of Joseph Loucks. G. W. Youker now resides on the place.
318
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
In the east part, Peter Pickard settled, about 1824, on lot 9, tp. 3, where his son Elisha resides ; adjoining which Is land owned by Oliver F. Pickard, who has at the Center a steam saw and shingle mill. A son, Peter M., resides at Jamestown. Isaac N. Baldwin, on lot 17; his sons, Isaac H. and Erastus T., are in town ; the latter on the homestead. James Heath on lot 2, the farm now owned by his son Austin. Other sons, Morgan L., Isaac, and James, reside in the county. Seth Clark settled on lot 14, tp. 2, and has recently removed to Jamestown. His son Alexander was lately a co-pro- prietor of the Jamestown Journal. Clark Parker, on lot 27, tp. 2, bought, in 1810, 112 m. south of the Center, where subsequently Thos. Parker resided, now H. P. Warren. James Hale on the north line of tp. 2, land originally bought by Wm. Smith, where Mr. Hale still resides. John Miller settled 1 1/2 m. south-east from the Center, on lot 21, tp. 2, bought in 1816, where his son George W. now resides. Jacob Johnson, on lot 21, the farm previously owned by Truman Hills.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.