History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 43

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 43


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


343


JAMESTOWN.


About the south-east corner of Third and Pine streets, embracing a part of the site of Allen's flour store, was a knoll that has at different periods been cut down about 20 feet. And on the south side of Third street, near Factory alley, was a swamp hole, embracing the alley and the east end of the lot of Breed's cabinet shop, which required much filling. These are but specimens of the numerous places requiring large expenditures.


The first bridge across the outlet in Jamestown, was built by Rufus Landon near the grist-mill, in 1814. The second was built in 1825, above the first, and about twice its width below the present one [then 1857.] This was erected for the town by Henry Morgan and Jonathan Spencer. The third was built at the foot of Main street, by Sanford Holman and Samuel H. Woodward, and was a little higher up than the former, but not so high as the later one. The wooden bridges over the outlet have lasted, with repairs, about 10 or 12 years. In 1864, a stone arch bridge was built over the old factory canal or present mill race, at the foot of Main street, and in 1870, a fine stone structure, with two arches, across the main stream, of the width of Main street, of which it is a continuation.


Territorial Enlargement .- The year 1822 was an important epoch in the history of Jamestown. From its settlement in 1810, it had been a lumbering village in the midst of a tract of about 1,000 acres, belonging to Judge Prendergast, of which only 50 or 60 acres had been cleared about his village plat ; and the large water power had been confined to the manufacture of lumber, and to the propulsion of a carding and cloth-dressing establishment. The proprietor had declined to sell water power or land except in village lots of 50 by 120 feet. Pine boards had fallen from $6 per thousand to $2.50. The local agent of the Holland Land Company had refused to sell the land between Judge Prendergast's tract and Dexterville land, calling it " reserved land," which constituted a large portion of the wilderness sur- rounding the village. Dr. Elial T. Foote having, in 1816, and several times afterwards, applied, without success, for the purchase of this land, made ap- plication, direct, to Mr. Busti, the general agent, and obtained the land. The speedy sale and improvement of a large portion of this ample water power gave a fresh impetus to the growth of the village. He sold much of his tract in parcels of from 5 to 40 acres-among them one of II acres includ- ing the water power at the lower dam, on which were erected various kinds of manufactories.


Jamestown was incorporated by an act of the legislature passed March 6, 1827. Its boundaries are thus described: Beginning at the south-east corner of James Hall's land, [lot 27, township 2, range 11;] thence south to the town line, between townships 1 and 2; thence west to the line of the town of Busti; thence north to the outlet of Chautauqua lake; thence up said outlet to Solomon Jones' land, [lot 35, township 2, range 11 ;] thence east to the place of beginning. By an act of April 7, 1844, the south line of the village was removed south, taking in one more tier of lots.


344


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


MANUFACTURES OF JAMESTOWN ..


The first tannery in Jamestown was established in 1814 or 1815, by John Burge, who is elsewhere noticed. In 1822, Wellford Barker bought of Phineas Stevens a half interest of the tannery south of First street, at the foot of Cherry ; the other half was bought of Salmon Grout by Samuel Bar- rett. They worked the next season about 125 slaughter hides, 150 calf-skins, and 54 Spanish hides. Bark cost $1.50 a cord, and was ground under a large stone ; hides, 5 cents per pound ; skins, 8 to 10 cents. Sole leather sold for 31 cents; upper, $3 to $4.50 per side; calf-skins, $2.50 to $4 each. Barrett and Barker sold, about 1828, to James Clark, and the tannery was abandoned in 1832. A second tannery was commenced in 1824 by Phineas Stevens and Salmon Grout, south of Second street, foot of Spring. It was afterwards owned successively by Salmon Grout, by Grout, Titus Kellogg and Elias Havens, by E. Havens and N. K. Ransom, and by Orlando Havens, and abandoned in 1838. A tannery was established in 1831, on the south side of the outlet, at the sash factory, by Richard W. Arnold, Wm. M. Eddy, and John M. Warn-bark mill propelled by water. It was subsequently owned in part by Jason Hazard, Lewis Hazard, Wm. M. Eddy, Arnold and Stevens, and Wellford Barker ; and in 1840, by R. W. Arnold. In 1833, Titus Kel- logg built a tannery opposite Arnold's. Kellogg sold, about 1838, to E. T. Foote and Richard F. Fenton, who, in 1840, sold a third interest to Wellford Barker; and in 1843, Foote sold his interest to his partners; and the tannery was burned in Sept., 1847, and rebuilt the same fall. Fenton sold, in 1850, to Michael W. Hutton, and Barker to Hutton & Joseph Bradley in 1851. The tannery was discontinued in 1856. A tannery was built by Horace Allen, in 1850; the machinery propelled by steam. It was occupied about one year by S. C. Crosby and Samuel Brown, and then for five years not used. Wellford Barker bought it in 1856, repaired it, and tanned, in less than a year, about 2,200 hides, and 2,000 kip and calf-skins ; and in Sept., 1857, it was destroyed by fire.


Rufus Pier and Elmer Freeman commenced the hatting business in 1816, and continued in partnership until 1819. Pier then carried on the business alone for a time. Strickland and Sayles occupied the shop for a time, and after them Rice & Barker. When Pier & Freeman were in business, their prices for hats were : wool bodies and muskrat nap, from $4.50 to $8. Castor hats, fur and wool bodies, or coarse fur bodies, $8 to $10. Felt hats, [wool,] according to fineness of wool, $1.50 to $3. They paid for muskrat skins from 25 to 50 cents. They bought the first year the skins of three beavers caught near Goose creek, [now Harmony,] and paid for them $6 a pound. An otter skin was occasionally bought. At first there were few fox skins, but they became more plenty as the settlement increased. When Pier & Freeman commenced business, the nearest hatter was Abijah Clark, in Ellery, who worked in a log shop. He intended to remove to Jamestown ; but the coming in of Pier & Freeman prevented his removal ; and in a few years he quit the business. Hatters in those days furnished merchants about


345


JAMESTOWN.


the country with hats to sell, or exchanged them for goods. The firm at length dissolved. Freeman removed to Westfield, and in a few years returned, and resumed business in Jamestown. His advertisement appears in a James- town paper in 1826.


The first cabinet-maker in Jamestown was S. E. Colton, who worked in Royal Keyes' joiner shop, on the west side of Main street, above Third street. Keyes had, winter seasons, done something at the business, making some of the cheaper articles of furniture. In the spring of 1820, Wm. Breed came to Jamestown, a single man, a carpenter and joiner ; but he had worked with a cabinet-maker in Pittsburgh, and acquired a knowledge of the trade. He went into Keyes' shop, first on his own account, and afterwards formed a partnership with Keyes in the carpenter and joiner and the cabinet- making business. Keyes was building the Dolloff mills on the Connewango, and could do, in the winter, all the cabinet work that could be sold during the year. The partnership commenced about 1822, and continued about three years. Breed then built a shop for cabinet-making on the west side of Pine street, above Third, and after one year took into partnership his brother John C. In 1833, they built a shop on the corner of Pine and Second streets. In 1835, they took into partnership Almon Partridge; and the company built, at the lower village, a factory to go by water power ; being the first machinery at Jamestown propelled by water for planing boards or turning cabinet molders' work. The partnership continued until the death of Mr. Partridge, in 1837. In 1839, Albert Partridge became a partner, and continued as such about two years. About 1853, DeWitt, son of Wm. Breed, became a partner under the same firm name as that of the former triple part- nership, W. & J. C. Breed & Co. When the Breeds commenced business, cherry boards, first quality, were $8 to $10 per M., and pine lumber, $2.50 to $3 ; and they afterwards sold some at Pittsburgh for $2.50. Cherry now, [written in 1858,] from $12 to $25 per M. Hard maple, for bed- steads, about $10. Formerly the trade was chiefly in barter and store orders; now mostly cash or good credit. This manufactory was situated at the lower dam, on the south side of the outlet, on Willard street. In 1858, Nathan & Emmet Breed converted the tannery previously owned by Foote, Fenton & Barker into a manufactory of agricultural implements, propelled alternately by water and steam. A large business was done for several years in this concern. It was afterwards converted into an extensive furniture manufactory by Judson W. and DeWitt C. Breed, by whom it is still con- ducted. The amount of furniture manufactured and sold by Messrs. Breed in 1870, was about $65,000, exclusive of articles sold at their retail rooms on Second street. George Wood &. Co. also manufacture furniture on a large scale, to an amount of about $35,000 yearly. And Sherman & Marsh make bedsteads estimated at $40,000.


Wm. Knight opened a saddle and harness shop in Jamestown in 1821, in a small building owned by Elisha Allen, on the east side of Main street, and after several removals went, in 1827, into the south end of the Budlong


346


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


building, 2d story, since known as the Hawley block. In 1829, Solomon Jones and Wm. Knight commenced the business together, and continued it for about three years ; after which, Knight continued it alone about three · years longer, when he removed to Harmony.


Day Knight opened a shop.in 1821, in a small building opposite the house of James Prendergast, but soon removed to Westfield, and returned in 1826, and opened a shop opposite Plumb & Co.'s store, south of the Allen House. In 1833, he formed a partnership with Samuel Knight, and after one year he carried on business alone until his removal to Randolph in 1840.


Silas Shearman commenced work for Wm. Knight, Dec., 1822, and, in the fall of 1825, went to Fredonia, and, in 1827, returned, and opened a shop in the second story of the Budlong building, corner of Main and Third streets, afterwards known as the Hawley block. In Dec., 1832, he removed to the brick shop built by him on Third street, opposite the Allen House. John P. Shearman, James Dinnin, Frederic Bond, J. Saxton, James Marshall, and others served as apprentices under him. The average price of harness leather, from 1827 to 1848, was about 26 cents a pound ; from 1848 to 1854, 21 cents ; from 1854 to 1858, 30 cents. In 1850, it was sold at 20 cents ; in 1857, as high as 35 cents. In an early day, leather was generally pro- cured of Gen. Barker at Fredonia, and at Buffalo. Bridle leather cost from $2.50 to $3 a side. Average price of labor was $18 to $20 a month. Silas Shearman continued business without intermission and without a partner, from 1827 to 1854, a period of 27 years. He then formed a partnership with Rufus P. Shearman, which continued for several years under the firm of S. Shearman & Son. The business is at present carried on by Michael Woods, their successor, corner of Pine and Third streets.


John P. Shearman commenced the saddle and harness business in the south end of the Hawley block, 2d story, in 1839, and continued alone until December, 1841; then in connection with James Dinnin until 1844; then with Charles Kennedy 11/2 years; then alone until February, 1854. Dinnin, after his dissolution with Shearman, opened a shop, and continued business alone until March, 1849, with the exception of one year in company with Samuel Hall. The business was continued, singly or in company, by Ken- nedy, Vernon Morley, Alfred S. Mason, and Alexander G. Peters, until 1858, when the concern was sold to Silas Shearman & Son. The same business was commenced by several others comparatively early, and contin- ned for brief periods.


Daniel Hazeltine came to Jamestown in May, 1816. He erected a build- ing 24 by 36, one story high, for a cloth-dressing shop, and put his fulling- mill under Judge Prendergast's log way, in front of his saw-mill. He com- menced dressing cloth in October. In 1818, he built an addition to his building, two stories high, 24 by 26 feet, and dug a race from the factory race, and moved his fulling-mill from the saw-mill. In the spring of 1819, he leased to Horace Blanchar the second story for his carding machine, formerly owned by Simmons & Blanchar, and run by them in the garret


347


JAMESTOWN.


of Judge Prendergast's grist-mill. In 1823, he bought Blanchar's machines, and Harmis Willard put in a new machine ; and they carried on wool-carding in partnership. In 1824, Hazeltine commenced the manufacture of woolen cloth on shares, the owner of the wool paying 1212 cents per yard for his half; the cloth weighing from 12 to r6 ounces per yard. His first prices for dressing cloth were from 15 to 44 cents per yard. He charged in 1823 for carding wool, 5 cents per pound. He dressed the first year about 2,500 yards. When he came to Jamestown, the nearest cloth-dressing establish- ments were at Fredonia and Westfield. Custom wool-carding and cloth- dressing was about at its height from 1829 to 1833, when he dressed from 16,000 to 20,000 yards a year. The price for dressing was from 6 to 25 cents a yard. [Six cents was probably the price of simply pressing flannel for women's wear.] For indigo blue 50 cents was charged. In 1836, Mr. Hazeltine bought of Chandler & Winsor their establishment, erected about 1826 at the "lower dam," then known as " Piousville," and removed his ma- chinery to that place in April, from a stone building erected by D. Hazeltine and Robert Falconer, in or about the year 1830, just below Judge Prender- gast's grist-mill. He commenced manufacturing cloth in 1838. He erected a new building in 1853. He manufactured about 4,000 pounds of wool the first year after he removed his works to the place he bought of Chandler & Winsor. He manufactured, in 1858, about 20,000 pounds. For short periods of time, Taber Wood, and after his retirement, Wm. B. Hazeltine, son of Daniel Hazeltine, was a partner. In 1865, Mr. H. sold to his sons, and retired from the business. The sons, not long afterwards, transferred the establishment, which has since been operated by the well known firm of Allen, Preston & Co.


The first manufacturer of scythe snaths in Jamestown was Samuel Garfield, an early settler in Busti. He afterwards formed a partnership with Ezra Wood. The snaths were made by steaming and bending. The manufac- tory was enlarged and the machinery improved, until many hundred dozens were turned out annually, and shipped extensively to the south and west. A second shop was built by Edward Reynolds ; and a third by A. B. Cobb and Wm. Broadhead, both on Second street, near Spring street, and both were burned. Cobb & Sons built a new factory, and manufactured 300 dozen snaths a year, and large numbers of grain cradles and rakes. This, too, was burned, and another erected ; and while doing a large business, this also was burned down. The same business was next started by Simmons & Tyrrell, south side of Second street, near Cross street, where over 600 dozen snaths were turned out yearly, and 200 dozen grain cradles. Nathan and Ezra Breed converted the tannery at the lower dam into a factory of the same kind, where the same articles and a variety of other agricultural implements were made. This business was carried on less extensively, between 1866 and 1870, by W. R. Denslow, Wm. Broadhead, and Harmis Willard.


The first sash factory in Jamestown, or in the county, was established in the spring of 1827, by Sedgwick Benham, Smith Seymour, and -- Goodwin,


348


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


on the north shore of the outlet, immediately below the saw-mill at the lower dam. In the spring of 1828, Seymour ran a boat with sash to Pitts- burgh, where patent sash were unknown. So little confidence had the people there in the new sash, that he was compelled to sell them for from 1 to 11/2 cents per light ; and the purchasers put them in inferior buildings. Goodwin sold his interest to his partners, and returned to Onondaga county. John Scott subsequently bought an interest in the factory. It did a large business for many years. Great quantities of sash were sent by wagons into other counties, and down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers ; and within a few years hand-made sash disappeared from the market. Sash, doors and blinds were made at the upper dam, on Main street, by Albert Smith and H. S. Fox, for a number of years. They were succeeded by Johnson & Peterson, who now manufacture of these articles to the value of about $10,000 annually. At the lower dam, the manufacture of the same articles has been carried on extensively by Scott & Barrows, R. J. & H. Barrows ; and now by Corydon Hitchcock and John T. Wilson.


Parley Smith & Brother established the first pail and tub factory at the sash factory dam, in the lower part of the village, and commenced making ware in December, 1831. They made in value to the amount of about $3,000 a year, for two years. They then sold their establishment to Merri- field & Eddy in the spring of 1833, who ran the first boat load of their goods to Pittsburgh in the fall. They manufactured for two years to the amount of about $4,000 a year ; and then sold the concern to Ezra Wood, Jr., who ran the shop for one year, and made ware to the value of about $10,000. In the fall of 1835, Joel Partridge bought a half interest in the establishment, which was carried on by Wood & Partridge for five years, who made about $25,000 worth a year. Partridge sold back his interest to Wood, who, in two years, ran about $5,000 worth a year, and then sold to Kibling & Peasley. They manufactured for two or three years about $6,000 worth a year. The shop, after lying idle a while, was moved to Dexterville. It was there conducted by Salisbury, Kibling & Co., who manufactured ware to the value of about $20,000. Through bad management, or for other cause, the firm became insolvent, and quit the business. The amount, in value, of the ware made by Smith & Brother and their successors, was about $200,000.


Among the various branches of the manufactures of Jamestown was the manufacture of a great variety of wooden ware, which was transported by flat boats to Pittsburgh and down the Ohio. In a statement prepared many years ago by Nathan Brown, who had been for fifteen years engaged in this trade, are the following facts :


Mr. Brown having been an indorser for an embarrassed firm, was compelled to take, by way of indemnity, a small flat boat with a cargo of pails, wash- tubs, keelers, maple veneering, and lath, valued at about $1,300. In April, 1843, he started on his trip; and the proceeds of his cargo fell short, by about $300, of discharging his assumed obligation. He, however, continued


349


JAMESTOWN.


the business of manufacturing and transporting his wares, increasing the size of his boats and the extent and variety of his wares, adding grain cradles, hay rakes, scythe snaths, half-bushel measures, window sash, doors, blinds, etc. The value of his first cargo was about $1,300. His yearly sales in- creased in amount, until they reached nearly $20,000. He first ran one boat a year, and gradually increased the number, running, in 1857, seven boats. At the close of his business in 1858, he had run 65 boats, and sold of the · products of his manufactures, $220,214, of which about $30,000 had been manufactured outside of Jamestown.


The Cane Seat Chair Company was established as a manufactory for making cane seat chairs, in which about 200 men, women and children are employed, and chairs turned out yearly to the value of $160,000. The Wood Seat Chair Company, Whitney & Warner, turn out about $60,000 worth yearly ; and Prother & Co., to the value of $20,000. Oliver Chase & Son have in operation a chair factory, which is estimated to turn out chairs to the amount of $25,000. -- Gates manufactures cane seats amounting to about $4,000.


A piano manufactory, of which George A. Georgi is proprietor, was estab- lished some years ago on the south side of the outlet, which employs about 32 men, and turns out instruments to the value of about $80,000.


-


In or about the year 1834, Crane & Fuller established an axe factory at Dexterville, on the present site of the works of Charles L. Jeffords. Its capacity was about 3 dozen per day. In 1840, E. Edgerton assumed the control of the works; and, in 1852, Charles L. Jeffords became interested in them. In 1860, they were entirely destroyed by fire. They were rebuilt, and in 1869, they were again burnt to the ground, and speedily rebuilt in their present enlarged form. Power is furnished both by water and steam, thus securing ample power during low water. Three or four trip hammers are used; and such are the improvements made in the machinery, and such is the skill in workmanship attained by the operatives, as to enable them to turn out from 40 to 50 dozen per day. The numerous operations through which the designed product has to pass, can not be intelligibly described. The facility with which they are performed, and the rapidity with which an axe passes through a score of different hands to its final polish, are remarkable. A variety of other edge tools are made at these works. The amount of business done by the present proprietor has been from $25,000 to $50,000 a year. The latter sum is likely to to be reached the present year.


An important addition to the manufactures of Jamestown is the alpaca manufacture. In March, 1873, William Hall, William Broadhead and Jos. Turner commenced the erection of a building for this purpose. Mr. Broad- head having retired, the firm name is at present Hall & Turner. The ma- chinery was purchased in England by Mr. Turner, then a resident of that country. He also brought with him. all the skilled help. The operatives employed here are principally Swedes, a large portion of the population of the village being of that nationality. The manufacture commenced the Ist


350


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


of December, 1873. The cotton warps are made at Holyoke, Mass. The wool used is Cotswold, Lincoln, and Leicester, all of which is raised in this country. They manufacture Orleans and Glaces; also mohairs and mohair mixtures. The capital of the establishment is $100,000, giving employment at present to about 90 hands.


.BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.


AUGUSTUS F. ALLEN, eldest son of Elisha and Juliet [Holbrook] Allen, . was born in Wardsboro', Vt., Sept. 13, 1813. His grandfather, Capt. Allen, of Princeton, Mass., while a deputy sheriff, was murdered by a man named Frost, whom he had in charge, and who had murdered his own father. Elisha Allen, father of Col. A. F. Allen, was born in Princeton, Mass., Sept. 5, 1786. He removed with the rest of the family to Vermont, and was mar- ried to Juliet Holbrook, who was born at Sturbridge, Mass., June 6, 1790. In 1816, he came to Jamestown, and bought the property on the corner of Main and Third streets, where the Gifford House now stands; returned to Vermont, and in 1826 came to Jamestown with his wife and two sons, Augus- tus and Dascum, the latter having been born at Wardsboro', Sept. 5, 1815. Elisha Allen also bought a farm on what is now Warren street. He after- wards occupied, as a dwelling, a part of the house previously kept as a hotel on the present site of the Jamestown House, where he died, Sept. 30, 1830, aged 44 years. His hotel property, occupied for many years by a number of keepers, remained in possession of his heirs ; and after the great fire of 1852, by which it was destroyed, the sons, Augustus and Dascum, erected in its place a new building, of brick, since known as the " Allen House," now the "Gifford House." Augustus, after the death of his father, was left, at the age of 17, as the head of the family. He attended school for a time at the academies of Fredonia and Jamestown, and acquired a fair English educa- tion ; and Dascum engaged as a clerk in the store of Nathaniel A. Lowry. About 1835, the brothers, the younger not yet of age, engaged in the mer- cantile and lumbering business, which they carried on extensively, and suc- cessfully. Abner H., the youngest brother, when of age, became a partner : and after his death, in 1849, Dascum took the concern, and afterwards, Allen & Maurice. The business of A. F. & D. Allen extended over the southern part of this county, and far into Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., and Warren Co., Pa. In 1846, they dissolved partnership, and divided their property. In 1848, Augustus became a partner of Daniel Grandin in the woolen manufac- ture ; the latter had acquired a knowledge from the late Daniel Hazeltine, and from a Mr. Washburn in the old stone factory in First street. In 1867, the firm of Allen, Preston & Co. was formed, of which Mr. Allen was a member at the time of his death. Col. Allen also became actively engaged in public improvements. To no single individual are the people of southern Chau- tauqua more indebted for railroad facilities than to him. To the promotion of the various industrial interests of Jamestown, he contributed largely by his counsels, his personal influence, and his wealth. In early life he was




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.