History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 46
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 46
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
ROYAL KEYES, born at New Fane, Vt., April 23, 1795, came to Elli- cott in March, 1816, with his chest of tools, which were brought in by Elisha Allen. He worked at his trade-that of carpenter and joiner-during that season, with Horatio Dix, and in the ensuing winter returned to Vermont. He came back with his wife and Samuel Barrett and his wife, in a double sleigh, in February, 1818. Being an ingenious mechanic, and mechanics of different trades being scarce, he worked at the millwright business, at plas- tering rooms, cabinet-making, etc. He had 6 daughters-no sons. Mary, wife of Rev. N. M. Miles, a Presbyterian clergyman, of Illinois ; Melissa, wife of Lysander Farrar, attorney at law, Rochester ; Elsie, who married Charles Kennedy, saddler and harness maker, Jamestown ; Lydia, who mar- ried a Mr. F ** bes, merchant, of Jamestown, who, after her death, married her sister Sarah ; and another, who married - Blanchar. Mr. Keyes was a major in the 162d regiment of the New York militia. He died July 1,
Anhand & Marcin
367
JAMESTOWN.
1852, aged 57 years. His brothers were : Willard, at Quincy, Ill .; Luke, who served as an apprentice to Royal, as carpenter, and after following his trade for several years, removed to the West; Eber, who married Lydia Kidder, sister of Royal's wife, and daughter of Nathaniel Kidder, Vermont. She died several years after their removal to Jamestown, leaving an infant son. Mr. K. married for his second wife, Juliet Gray, daughter of Elijah Gray, born in Sherburne, N. Y. He removed to a farm in Busti, where he was elected a deacon of the Congregational church. He subsequently removed to Illinois.
LUTHER LAKIN, a son of Robinson Lakin, of English origin, was born at Pepperell, Mass., December 26, 1783. He married Theodosia A. Lawrence in 1825, and removed from Cayuga Co., N. Y., to Portland, now Barcelona, in the spring of 1826. He there engaged in the forwarding business, and removed the next season to the village of Westfield, and pursued the mer- cantile business. In 1828, he removed to Ashville, and remained there about 4 years. In 1832, he removed to the state of Vermont, and in 1834 returned to Ashville. He died in Sherman, July 15, 1864. He had 2 chil dren, Henry O. and Edward L. Henry O. was born at Barcelona in 1826. He has long resided in Jamestown, in the practice of the law, and has held the office of county judge. Edward L. was born at Ashville in 1832, and is a druggist in Jamestown. The widow of Luther Lakin died at Jamestown, December 8, 1869.
HENRY MARTIN, a native of Vermont, removed from Cortland Co., Jan., . 18r2, to Griffith settlement in Ellery; and in 1820 to Fluvanna, and kept a public house three years, and settled on a farm near that place. In r834, he returned to Ellery, where his wife died ; and in 1856 he removed to James- town, and subsequently to Levant, and after a few years again to Jamestown, where he now resides. He married, first, Anna Fenton, and had several children ; second, Mrs. Phebe Chandler, widow of Woodley W. Chandler, with whom he now resides in Jamestown.
RICHARD PRATT MARVIN was born in Fairfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y., Dec. 23, 1803. His father, Selden Marvin, was born in Lyme, Conn., in 1773. The family came from England in 1635, and settled in Hartford, Conn. The mother of Richard P. was Charlotte Pratt, who was born in Saybrook, Conn. Selden Marvin, with his family, moved in 1809 to Dryden, Tomp- kins Co., where Richard was reared, working on the farm and attending the district school, until he was about 19. On leaving the farm, he pursued his studies in public schools and under private tutors, supporting himself in part by teaching. In 1826, he commenced the study of law with George W. Scott in Newark, Wayne Co. He continued the study with Mark H. Sibley, of Canandaigua, and Isaac ,Seeley, of Cherry Valley. In 1829, he was ad- mitted an attorney of the supreme court and a solicitor in the court of chan- cery. In June of that year, he settled in Jamestown, where he still resides. In 1836, he was a member of assembly from this county, and took an active part in securing the aid of the state in behalf of the New York & Erie
368
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
railroad. In 1836, he was elected to Congress, and reelected in 1838. He was a delegate in the constitutional convention of 1846, and in November was elected judge of the 8th judicial district, which office he held, by reelection, continuously 2472 years. In 1824, when the project was conceived of a channel of communication with New York through the "southern tier " or "secluded " counties, Mr. Marvin took an active part in measures for the promotion of the object, which was to be accomplished by means of a rail- road from some point on the Hudson, near New York, through the southern counties to Lake Erie in Chautauqua county. At a meeting of citizens in Jamestown, he was appointed, with Judge Foote and Silas Tiffany, an execu- tive committee on this subject. The hope then entertained in those counties was "long deferred ;" the contemplated work not having been carried to its completion until 1851. [See History of Railroads, p. 150.]
In September, 1834, Mr. Marvin married Isabella, a daughter of David Newland, of Albany, and sister of Robert Newland, formerly cashier of the Chautauqua County Bank ; now president of the Chautauqua County Na- tional Bank, at Jamestown. His children were : 1. Selden E., adjutant of the 112th regiment in the late war ; subsequently paymaster at Washington ; and, since the war, paymaster-general on Gov. Fenton's staff ; and afterwards adjutant-general of the state, appointed by Gov. Fenton. Gen. Marvin was married to Kate Parker, daughter of Judge Amasa J. Parker, of Albany, where he now resides. 2. Sarah Jane, now Mrs. Erie L. Hall, of James- town. 3. David N., cashier of the Chautauqua Co. National Bank. 4. Mary Elizabeth, now Mrs. B. F. Goodrich, of Akron, O. 5. William R., who died in 1863, of disease contracted in the army of the Potomac. 6. Robert N., now in the lumber business, residing in Jamestown. 7. Richard P., practicing law at Akron, O. 8. Isabelle, Mrs. Marvin died in February, 1872, aged 60, universally beloved by all who knew her. In the fall of 1872, Judge Marvin, with his youngest daughter, visited Europe, returning in the fall of 1873 to his residence in Jamestown.
RUFUS PIER was born in the town and county of Otsego, N. Y., April 13, 178 -. His grandfather was Thomas Pier, who had 6 sons : John, David, Levi, Abner, Solomon, and Silas. Rufus, son of John, was but 6 years old when his father died. He learned the blacksmith's trade in Litchfield, N. Y., and came to Jamestown, March 6, 1816. He was appointed justice of the peace by the supervisors and county judges, (the mode of appointment then existing,) and was continued in that office, by subsequent elections, until he had served 14 years. He was married at Jamestown, Nov. 29, 1818, to Katharine Blanchar, who was born, Aug. 13, 1797. They had 8 children : I. Rufus W., who was born July 30, 1820 ; was married in Milwaukee, Wis., to Martha G. Bailey, Sept. 11, 1845, and returned to Jamestown, where he lived, (with the exception of three years in Westfield,) until the fall of 1866. In that year he removed to Pittsburgh, Pa., where he now resides. He had 4 children : William S., Caroline B., Charles M., and Clarence, who died in infancy. 2. Katharine, who was born Jan. 12, 1823, and married Dexter E.
369
JAMESTOWN.
Hoskins, Oct. 4, 1849. A son, Frank, resides in Fond du Lac, Wis. Mr. Hoskins died Sept. 27, 1865. 3. Albert G., born April 15, 1825, married Har- riet Wetmore at Whitestown, N. Y., and removed to Nevada City, Cal., where Mrs. P. died in 1860. He was again married, in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1862, to Mrs. Anna Cummings, and returned to Cal., and had 3 children : Willie, Everett, and Freddie. 4. Caroline, born Dec. 25, 1827, married Francis P. Bailey, Oct. 12, 1847, and had 2 children : Everett H., and Caty, who died in infancy. Mrs. Bailey died July 14, 1859. 5. Lorette, born April 28, 1831, died in infancy. 6. Richard, born Dec. 8, 1833. 7. Charlotte, born March 8, 1836, married George R. Swetting Oct. 7, 1857, and removed to Wis., where Mr. S. died May 30, 1866. They have a son, Frederic P. 8. Harriet H., born April 9, 1840; died in Wis., Oct. 31, 1863. Rufus Pier died at Jamestown, Dec. 24, 1862. Katharine, his wife, died there Feb. 23, 1859.
JAMES PRENDERGAST, third son of William, Sr., was born in Pawling, N. Y., March 9, 1764, and was married in Pittstown, in 1807, to Agnes Thompson, who was born in Galloway, Scotland, Sept. 18, 1771. Mr. P. was one of the family who left Pittstown in 1805, and made a journey to Tennessee with a view to a settlement in that state, and who returned to this state, and settled in this county. The narrative of this tedious journey and the history of Jamestown, of which he was the founder, and from whom it was named, which will be found elsewhere in this work, presents some of the most interesting and important incidents in his active and useful life, and need not be repeated. He was 41 years of age, and yet unmarried, when the family set out on their long journey. After spending the summer and fall of 1806 in Chautauqua, he returned to Pittstown, and was married, as above stated. In 1809, while on a visit to Chautauqua, he purchased the Jamestown property; and in August, 1810, he came with his family from the East to settle upon it ; and moved into his log house at the Rapids the next spring. He was elected in 1813, the first supervisor of Ellicott, which had been formed in 1812; and he was reelected in 1814 and 1815. In 1814, he was commissioned a judge of the court of common pleas, the duties of which were discharged with intelligence and integrity. In 1817, a mail route to Meadville, through Jamestown, having been established the year previous, he was appointed postmaster, and held the office until he resigned, in 1824. In 1836, he sold his real estate in Jamestown, and in 1837 removed to Ripley. In 1841, he settled on his extensive domain in Carroll, now Kiantone. In his habits he was temperate ; in his dealings, just ; to the poor, lenient and charitable. Rarely, if ever, was the worthy laboring man visiting his mill without money turned away empty. Though attached more strongly to the Episcopal order, other religious societies received his cordial patronage. Judge Prendergast is described as a very large man, of fine personal appear- ance, courtly and dignified in his manner, and an accomplished gentleman. He died at his residence in Kiantone, Nov. 15, 1846, in his 83d year. His wife died in Ripley, Jan. 9, 1839, in her 68th year. They had a son, Alex- ander T., who inherited the large estate of his father, and resides on the
24
370
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
property in Kiantone. He was born Feb. 3, 1809, and was married April 6, 1847, to Mary Norton, who was born at Westfield, Jan. 21, 1821. They had two children : James, who was born June 18, 1848 ; is a lawyer, and resides in Jamestown ; and Catherine Merritt, born April 2, 1854, and died at Mar- quette, Michigan, Aug. 2, 1864.
FITCH SHEPARD, son of Noah Shepard, was born April 5, 1802. His father was a descendant of Rev. William Shepard, a divine of Massachusetts, in early colonial times. His mother, Irene Fitch, was a descendant of Thomas Fitch, the colonial governor of Connecticut. He was married to Delia Maria Dennis, whose ancestor, Robert Dennis, emigrated from Eng- land in 1635. Her father Paul represented Washington county in the legis- lature. While at Jamestown, Mr. Shepard was cashier of the Chautauqua County Bank. He removed to New York, where he established the National Bank Note Company, now one of the largest industrial institutions of the country, having advanced the art of steel-plate engraving and printing to a point where it defies counterfeiting and alteration. At the world's exposition in Vienna, this company took the palm from the rest of the world. Mr. Shepard has recently retired from the presidency of the company, and from active business. Fitch Shepard had 3 sons : 1. Burritt Hamilton, born April 18, 1829. He entered the University of the City of New York,.when Theodore Frelinghuysen was chancellor, and Tayler Lewis and Loomis were among its professors. He stood high in his class, and was particularly noted as a debater. After he had entered the senior class, he started on a voyage around the world; but on the homeward passage from China, he lost his life in the sea, Dec. 7, 1848. He was intended for the ministry, and is remembered as a young man of great promise. 2. Elliott Fitch, born in Jamestown, July 25, 1833, is an active lawyer in New York city. He had not visited James- town from infancy, till he came as a colonel to inspect, uniform, and equip the Chautauqua regiment of volunteers, in 1862, when a large number of the leading citizens assembled to welcome him to his birthplace. The "Shep- ard Rifles," 5Ist regt. N. Y. volunteers, were named for him. He organized and sent to the field, from this state, 47,000 troops, having been twice ap- pointed to the command of Western New York, under proclamations of President Lincoln, with headquarters at Elmira. After the war, he married Margaret Louisa, daughter of William H. Vanderbilt, son of the celebrated Commodore, and has by her several children. He is the author of the recent arbitration act, by which mercantile disputes in the port of New York may be speedily settled by a tribunal connected with the Chamber of Commerce. This act is regarded as a great reformation in the law, avoiding the delays and expenses attending litigation. 3. Augustus Dennis, who was born Jan. 25, 1836, and married Joanna E., daughter of Larkin G. Mead, and sister of the Vermont sculptor, of the same name, whose works are visible in the capitol, on the Lincoln monument at Springfield, Ill., and in various other cities. He has been associated with his father in business in New York city.
WILLIAM TEW was born in Nantucket, Mass., September 17, 1769. He
Fitto Shipand
Strobridge & Co Luh Cin 0
371
JAMESTOWN.
lived, when a young man, in Rhode Island, where he married Priscilla Fish, a Quakeress, in 1797. He removed to Otsego Co., N. Y., in 18ro, and thence to this county, in 1832, and died in Jamestown, April 26, 1847. His father and his two eldest brothers died prisoners on the "old prison ship" in New York harbor during the Revolutionary war. His ancestors came from England. William and Priscilla Tew had nine children, four sons and five daughters, all of whom lived to be married. The sons are all still living. Samuel F. Tew resides in Kansas City, Missouri, aged 77. J. E. Tew lives in Delanti, Chautauqua Co., aged 73. George W. Tew resides at Silver Creek : was county clerk of Chautauqua six years, from Jan. 1, 1834 ; and has been for many years president of the Bank of Silver Creek, to the present time- age, 71. William H. Tew resides in Jamestown, and is president of the City National Bank of Jamestown.
JOHN I. WILLSON was born at Pleasant Valley, Dutchess Co., N. Y., in 1781, and was married to Mary Elliott, in the city of New York, in 1807. His ancestors were from Ireland; Mrs. Willson's were Scotch. Inclined to a sea-faring life, he engaged on board a vessel sailing from New York, when about 18 years of age. Commencing as a cabin boy, he rose to the com- mand of the brig Franklin, sailing from New York to the Bermudas, of which he also became part owner. After the enactment of the embargo on com- merce and navigation under Jefferson, he left the ocean, and, with his young wife, removed to Upper Canada, whither his elder brother, David Willson, had preceded him, and where he cultivated a small farm, and taught school winters. In 1818, he removed with his family to a small farm he had pur- chased near Sugar Grove, Pa. About 1821, he there opened a public house. which was for many years the most popular hotel in that section. Having retained his fondness for navigation, in 1825 he bought an interest in the schooner Milan, at Buffalo, and took charge of her as master, in the lake trade. After the steamer Chautauqua on Chautauqua lake was built, he took charge of her for one or two seasons. Then, having purchased an interest in the schooner Nucleus, on Lake Erie, he was made master. She partici- pated largely in carrying passengers, having been fitted up for that purpose. In 1836, he disposed of the Nucleus, abandoned navigation, and returned to his family and home in Warren Co., Pa. During this period of his navi- gating the lakes, he was in business associations with the people of Chau- tauqua county ; and the early residents of Dunkirk, Fredonia, Barcelona, and Westfield, remember him with great respect. He was a moral and an upright citizen, temperate in all his habits, and enjoyed the fullest confidence of the community where he resided. He had been educated in the Society of Friends, but was tolerant and friendly towards other societies. He read much, and was a man of intelligence and culture.
The children of Capt. Willson were: 1. Catharine Elliott, married to Charles Doan, and resides at Aurora, Ontario, C. W. 2. Martha Clinger. who died in 1869, unmarried. 3. Mark, who married Elizabeth T., daugh- ter of Dr. Robert T. Hallock, of Milton, Ulster Co., N. Y. He followed
372
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
the mercantile business at Sugar Grove for many years ; did much in build- ing up and improving the place ; filled several local offices with credit to himself and satisfaction to the public; and, after the death of his father and mother, removed with his family, in 1863, to Minnesota, where [at Winona] he is now successfully engaged in the banking business. 4. Eliza, who accom- panied her brother to Minnesota, where she still resides. Capt. John I. Will- son died in February, 1859, aged 78 years. His wife died in June, 1854, aged 66. Both are buried in the village cemetery at Sugar Grove.
S. B. WINSOR, son of Abraham Winsor, was born in Eaton, Madison Co., N. Y., Sept. 29, 1805, and came with his father to Sinclairville in 1810, where he resided until 1822, when he removed to Jamestown. In 1831, he was mar- ried to Ann Sears, daughter of Wm. Sears, by whom he had 7 children: William S., who lives at Puget Sound on the Pacific coast ; Ruby C., wife of Hiram Hazeltine, residing at Titusville, Pa .; Mary, who married Richard H. Baker, who resides in Jamestown ; Henrietta, wife of Samuel J. Bailey, Jamestown ; Woodley C., at Union, Pa .; Clinton B .; and Helen A.
JAMESTOWN LAND ASSOCIATION.
In April, 1836, Judge Prendergast sold his lands, mills, and water power in Jamestown to an association of persons, consisting of Aaron D. Patchin, Samuel Barrett, Henry Baker, Guy C. Irvine, Nathaniel A. Lowry, and E. G. Owen. Lowry having purchased Owen's interest, sold his one-third inter- est, in 1841, to Barrett, Patchin, and Baker ; and Barrett, in January, 1842, assigned all his interest to Baker. The title to the village property was in Baker ; the title to the other lands and water power, in Patchin and Barrett. As the lands held by Baker, Barrett, and Patchin were purchased by all the parties to the agreement, equally and in equal proportions as tenants in com- mon, the agreement between the parties was as follows :
"The price to be paid for the lands, water power and mills, is $80,000; $10,000 to be paid the Ist of April, instant, by the purchasers equally in proportion ; the remainder in seven equal annual installments with interest annually. Full power was given to Baker, Barrett, and Patchin to sell and convey property on such terms as they deemed best ; but water power and mills or land appertaining (?) not to be sold but by consent of a majority of the parties holding an interest in the property."
CEMETERIES.
The first burial ground in Jamestown, though never laid out, was in the western part of the village, and comprised just one block, and was a donation from Judge Prendergast to the inhabitants of Jamestown, but was never deeded. The first death and burial took place in 1815; the second, in 1817. In 1823, 5 adults and 12 or 14 children had been interred. Some dissatisfaction existing with the burial ground, it was abandoned, and a new one formed on the north side of Fifth street, west of Main. Judge Prendergast, in 1822, deeded the whole block to the Congregational society, in trust for all religious societies, which society,
Strobridge & Co Lith. Cin. 0
Samuel, B. Winsor.
373
JAMESTOWN.
in 1845, deeded it to the village, the people of which raised the money, and purchased of Henry Baker an equal amount, north of, and including Sixth street. The first burial, in the new ground, was that of Mrs. Russell, in 1823. In 1845, it was ordered that the remains of those who had been buried in the old ground be removed to the new, at the public expense. The remains of 3 adults and 9 children were removed. In 1850, it was computed that no less than 600 bodies had been interred in this burial ground, in about 20 years : and it was apparent that in a few years it would be filled ; and there was no adjoining ground to be had.
On the 9th of Aug., 1858, an association was formed, which resulted in the purchase of 3772 acres of ground, bearing the name of Lake View Ceme- tery. By the aid of a subscription of $600 by Col. Augustus F. Allen, Col. Henry Baker, William H. Lowry, Esq., and Hon. Elial T. Foote, of New Haven, and a donation of $50 by Alex. T. Prendergast, Esq., of Kiantone, the association was enabled to make the purchase. The poor were to have burial lots without charge. A lot was to be reserved for the reïnterment of the remains of Revolutionary soldiers who had died in this section. And a mound, nearly in the center of the ground, was set apart for public monu- ments, especially for a monument to the pioneer settlers of the village. From the eminences in this ground, a view of Chautauqua lake may be had, from which fact, probably, the cemetery derives its name. The grounds were dedicated on the 5th of October, 1859. The religious services were performed by Rev. Messrs. Thomas H. Rouse, Henry Benson, J. S. Lytle, L. W. Norton, and A. Wells. A dedicatory ode, composed by Elijah Bishop, Esq., was read by Rev. Mr. Rouse, and sung by the choir. And addresses were made by Dr. Gilbert W. Hazeltine, secretary of the associa- tion, and Hon. Elial T. Foote. The sum of $1,500 was subsequently raised by a tax on the citizens, and paid to the trustees of the village, who deeded their part of the grounds to the association, who have since had the manage- ment of them.
CHURCHES AND OTHER ASSOCIATIONS.
The Congregational Church .- The first preaching at Jamestown, it is said, was in the summer of 1815, by Rev. Amasa West, a teacher, formerly at or near Cross Roads, who preached on alternate sabbaths. There were only three professors of religion in the place : Joseph Dix, and Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Fenton, Congregationalists. The same year, Rev. John Spencer, the missionary mentioned elsewhere, preached one sabbath, [two sermons.] Meetings on the sabbath were kept up, and sermons read in the absence of preaching. In June, 1816, Mr. Spencer again visited the place; and the number of professors being deemed sufficient, a Congregational church was formed, consisting of the following named persons : Joseph Dix, Jacob and Lois Fenton, Oliver and Lucretia Higley, Ebenezer and Milton Sherwin, Abner and Daniel Hazeltine. Mr. Spencer visited the church twice a year ; and other ministers also visited the place. From 1821 to 1824, meetings for
374
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
worship were held in the academy. The society was supplied for some time by ministers of different denominations, Congregationalists, Presbyterians, Baptists, and, in the summer of 1824, by Rufus Murray, an Episcopal min- ister, then at Mayville. The first settled pastor was Isaac Eddy, who was succeeded by Erastus J. Gillet, Ephraim Taylor, Edw. Parmely, Owen Street, Sylvanus P. Marvin, Thomas H. Rouse, Thomas Wickes, Edward Anderson, Eli Corwin, present pastor, [1875.] The first deacon was Joseph Dix ; a few years afterward, William Deland was elected. Since the election of these, the office has been held by Samuel Garfield, Loring Sherman, James Cary, Eber Keyes, Abner Hazeltine, Ezra Wood, John C. Jones, Julius L. Hall. The society was organized under the statute, October, 1821. The first trus- tees were : Wm. Deland, Daniel Hazeltine, Samuel A. Brown. A meeting- house was commenced in 1828, and completed in December, 1829. It was dedicated the first day of January, 1830 ; the dedicatory sermon by the pas- tor, Rev. Isaac Eddy. A New Year's sermon was preached in the afternoon by Rev. Isaac Oakes, of Westfield ; and in the evening, a sermon more par- ticularly to the church, by Rev. Mr. Jones, of Mayville ; followed by remarks from Rev. Justin Marsh, of Mina, now Sherman.
The Baptist Church of Jamestown was reorganized, May 24, 1832, by a council, of which Rev. Ebenezer Harrington was moderator, and Rev. Charles La Hatt, clerk. The members had, April 22, 1832, formed themselves into a conference, Elder Zaccheus M. Palmer, moderator ; John C. Breed, clerk ; which was composed of 13 males and 7 females : Zaccheus M. Palmer, John C. Breed, Wm. Washburn, Theron Gilbert, Jefferson Rhodes, Squire R. Bur- lingham, William Acocks, Josiah Willis, Lory Walker, Henry Bliss, John A. Abbott, Ephraim Rolfe, James Smith, Selina Palmer, Mary A. Palmer, Sarah Seymour, Lydia Burlingham, Anna Rolfe, Hannah Willis, Lucinda Heath. The church was connected with Chautauqua Association. The first meeting- house was built in 1832, a plain structure without steeple, costing $1,000. The second and present house was completed in the fall of 1857, at a cost of between $3,000 and $4,000. It was repaired in 1865, at an expense of $1,600. It stands on Fourth street, east of Main. The ministers who have served the church since its organization, are David Bernard, Rufus Peet, A. Chapman, [7 years,] Horatio Pratt, [died here of consumption,] Elder Board- man, Simon Davis, J. C. Stoddard, Alfred Handy, - Rathbone, --- Look, A. Wells, A. Kingsbury, E. Mills, from 1864 to 1868. Present pastor, P. B. Haughwout.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.