History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 47
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 47
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
The Presbyterian Church of Jamestown was organized in February or March, 1834, with about 50 members, most of them from the Congregational church. Rev. Erastus J. Gillett, who had been for some years pastor of that church, assumed the pastorate of the Presbyterian church. The society, re- quired by the statute of the state, was formed about the same time ; and Henry Barrett, Joseph Waite, Horace Allen, Nathaniel A. Lowry, and Alpheus Hawley, were elected trustees. Among the members (of the church, it is presumed,) were Joseph Waite, Elial T. Foote, Samuel A. Brown, E.
375
JAMESTOWN.
Hall, Curtis Haven, Elias Haven, H. Dewey, S. Benham, Wm. R. Rogers, Titus Kellogg, D. Higley, John Scott, and others. Horace Allen, Wm. R. Rogers, Alpheus Hawley, Curtis Haven, and John Scott, were chosen ruling elders. Ira Couch, Samuel Foote, Curtis Haven, Wm. R. Rogers, John Scott, Horace Allen, and Alpheus Hawley, were chosen deacons. H. Dewey was chosen clerk. Rev. Mr. Gillett was succeeded, as pastor, by Blackleach B. Gray, who was followed by H. G. Blinn, Erastus J. Gillett, (second term,) Rufus King, S. W. Rowe, - Fillmore, and others, when M. L. P. Thomp- son became pastor, and was succeeded by Wm. W. Macomber, and, in 1875, by Walter Condit, the present pastor.
The Protestant Episcopal Church was organized June 23, 1853. Present, Samuel P. Fuller, Smith Seymour, Gilbert W. Hazeltine, Wm. P. Bemus, Wm. E. Barrett, John F. Smith, John M. Grant, Levant L. Mason, Zadoc Martin, Norman R. Ransom, and Thomas Butcher, belonging to the church and congregation worshiping in the academy, according to the rites of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the state of New York. Levi W. Norton, rector, presided; John F. Smith and Wm. P. Bemus were chosen secretaries. "The Rector, Wardens, and Vestrymen of St. Luke's Church, in the Village of Jamestown, in the County of Chautauqua," was adopted as the title of the corporation. Samuel P. Fuller and Smith Seymour were elected war- dens ; Dascum Allen, Wm. F. Wheeler, Wm. H. Lowry, Wm. E. Barrett, Levant L. Mason, Warner D. Shaw, Gilbert W. Hazeltine, and John M. Grant, vestrymen. At the next meeting, John M. Grant was elected clerk, July 19, 1853. Measures were soon after adopted to build a church edifice, which appears to have been completed Feb. 23, 1856, when rents were assessed upon the pews for the support of the church. It stands on the corner of Fourth and Main streets.
The Swedish M. E. Church of Jamestown and Sugar Grove was organized in June, 1852, by Rev. Mr. Hammerin, the first pastor. The church build- ing was built in 1860.
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Jamestown was organized with thirty members, in 1857, by Rev. Jonas Swanson, the first pastor. Their house of worship was built in 1866.
The Free Methodist Church was organized with seven members, October 16, 1871, by Rev. C. D. Brooks, the first pastor. They worship in West- cott's Hall.
Mount Moriah Lodge, No. 297 .- In 1816, some masons in "Frank's set- tlement," petitioned the state grand lodge for a charter, which was ob- tained the next year. On the 27th of September, 1817, pursuant to public notice, a meeting was held at the house of Horatio Dix, in Jamestown, com- posed of the following named persons : Heman Bush, David Hatch, Phineas Stevens, Oliver Higley, Solomon Jones, Horatio Dix, Gilbert Ballard, David Boyd, Wm. Pier, Joseph Waite, Elial T. Foote, Pearly Fairbank, Paul Davis. The officers named in the charter were Heman Bush, master; Solomon Jones, senior warden ; Theron Plumb, junior warden. The other officers,
376
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
chosen at the meeting above mentioned, were Elial T. Foote, secretary ; .David Hatch, treasurer ; Joseph Waite, senior deacon ; Pearly Fairbank, senior deacon ; Asahel Andrews and Wm. Pier, stewards; Oliver Higley, tyler. Elder Paul Davis was to serve as chaplain on the day of installation ; and Elder Asa Turner was to be invited to attend. The installation was to take place the 16th of October, at Heman Bush's, [" Frank's settlement," now Busti,] and meetings were thereafter to be held at H. Dix's inn, James- town. Meetings were continued until 1830, when, from the violence of the anti-masonic excitement, they were suspended, and the lodge became extinct.
LUMBER MANUFACTURE IN ELLICOTT.
Lumbering was for many years a leading industry in the south-east part of the county. Most of the pine timber was in the four townships-I and 2, in ranges 10 and 11, which constituted the original town of Ellicott. The first mill erected within this territory was that of Dr. Kennedy, in the present town of Poland, in 1805. [See sketch of Poland.] There were several mills erected earlier than that of Judge Prendergast at the Rapids ; but it is pre- sumed that at no other two mills were as large quantities of lumber produced, in the same time, as at those of Judge Prendergast and Dr. Kennedy. The following detailed account of the operation of the mill at Jamestown, written by Judge Foote, and adopted by Gen. Horace Allen as his own, will be read with interest :
"When I removed to Jamestown, in Feb., 1815, there was a 1 12 story grist- mill building, with 2 run of stones ; and two single saw-mills, and one gang saw-mill, all owned by James Prendergast. There was one small store of goods owned by Jediah & Martin Prendergast, of Mayville, the store man- aged by Thomas Disher, a clerk ; the store building now [1858] standing on the north-west corner of Main and First streets. Two small shanty black- smith shops were occupied by Eleazer Daniels and Patrick Campbell; and a small out-door tannery by John Burgess and James Rice. A tavern build- ing was commenced by Jacob Fenton.
"Almost the entire business of the place, then called 'The Rapids,' was cutting some three million feet of boards a year, mostly run down the river ; and most of the provisions and groceries used by the people were brought from Pittsburgh in keel boats ; as flour, bacon, dried apples and peaches, tobacco, and whisky ; also nails, glass, and castings. The mills all stood near each other, on the north side of the outlet, nearly opposite the south end of Main street. The frame saw-mill next to the shore, contained a sin- gle saw-mill, and immediately south of it-in the same frame-a gang saw- mill, carrying from 14 to 16 saws. In a separate frame, a little further into the stream, was a single saw-mill, called the 'new mill,' built in 1814. The grist-mill stood a little north-west of the saw-mills. The single saw-mill next the shore was mostly used in slabbing logs for the gang saw-mill. All the saw-mills were run night and day, except Sundays. They required two sets of hands ; one set commencing at noon and working till midnight ; the other working from midnight till noon. The gang required two hands to work it, or four hands for 24 hours. The single saw-mills required one hand each, or two for 24 hours. The men who tended the gang carried out of the mill
377
JAMESTOWN.
the slabs cut by the slabbing mill, and their own slabs and boards. The largest and best logs were mostly sawed by the new mill, and the smaller and knotty logs chiefly by the gang mill.
" The mills cut with great power. The cranks, except those of the gang, were 17 or 18 inches. There was an abundance of water winter and sum- mer ; and there were large throats to the water wheels. The saws were thick and seven feet long, with large teeth, and would bear heavy feed. The boards sawed in the single mills looked rough, as the saws cut from 12 to 34 inch at a stroke, and made coarse saw-dust. The gang saws had finer teeth ; cut more slowly, and made finer saw-dust, leaving the boards smooth even from knotty logs. Gang boards were sometimes used without planing. The quantity of saw-dust shoved into the outlet from these mills in a year was enormous. The mill ponds below, and willow bars, eddies, etc., received these deposits ; and the accumulation of years is still to be seen along the outlet, in bends and other places. The water has sensibly diminished in the outlet, and will probably continue to grow less. The lumbering business was hard work, from the time the axe was struck into the tree, until the boards arrived in market and were drawn out of the water. Of the eight or ten men employed in these mills in 1815, and some of them earlier, Nicholas Dolloff, Jesse Smith, Wm. Clark, and myself, still survive, [1858,] and reside in this county. We were then in the prime of life, and all temper- ate. We probably cut as many boards on these mills as any other set of hands did in the same length of time, and perhaps more.
" Most of the logs were sawed for the owners on shares ; they taking one- half of the boards. The logs were drawn to the outlet, or lake, or pond, and floated to the mill. Each owner distinguished his logs by a mark. Marks were rudely made by a certain number of notches on the end or side of the log, or by one or more letters cut on the side, or by letters on the head of an axe, or on a hammer, and struck on the end of the log. The sawyers entered the marks on a slate hanging in the mill, and the quantity of boards made from each log ; and these slate accounts were transferred to the mill owner's books, who was thus enabled to settle with his customers. Rotten or shaky, unmerchantable boards were entered as 'rot,' and charged to the owner of the logs ; and they were piled by themselves. The mill owner would not saw rotten boards for one-half. Next to the slabs were usually one or two wany or bark edged, or sappy boards, which were called 'ruffage,' [refuse,] boards. These were piled by themselves. The rot or shaky boards were worth from one-third to one-half the price of good. They were not all rotten that were so called, but had ring rot stripes of a spongy appearance, and were used by many for log house chamber floors, or for barns or sheds. No one intended to draw to mill logs that would make rotten boards, for even sound logs were very cheap. If on being sawed open a log was found really rotten, it was shoved out of the mill to the slab pile and burned. The logs were all drawn up into the mill from the pond on an inclined plane ; the water power turning what was called the 'bull wheel,' with a windlass shaft, which wound up a large chain, one end of which was fastened to the shaft ; the other to the log by a dog of hook-like form, driven into one side of the log near the small end of the log.
" Nicholas Dolloff and Jesse Smith, and Jesse Smith and myself the rest of the year, tended the new mill in 1815 ; Wm. Clark and others the slabbing mill ; and John Fent and others the gang mill. In the new mill we were paid for sawing, $1 per thousand, and boarded. The files were furnished by
378
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
the owner of the mill, but the saws were filed by ourselves. We usually cut about 2,000 feet in each turn of 12 hours. The hands on the gang and slabbing mills were paid about $15 per month, and boarded. The logs were cut in the woods almost uniformly 12 ft. 4 in., or 16 ft. 4 in. long, except but logs, which were cut longer, as the shaky buts were to be sawed off. Be- sides boards, most of the scantling and other building lumber was sawed in the new mill. Boards were sawed thin for lathing. All lath used in those early times were thin boards, which were split or cracked with an axe or a hatchet, and, while being nailed on the studs, stretched or spread sufficiently to open cracks for the mortar, instead of being sawed into strips as now.
" Boards for rafting down the river, were put into piles from ro to 20 feet high, and 12 or 16 feet square; each layer of boards placed edge to edge, and crossing the layer preceding it. The slabs, buts, and edgings of boards were carried outside of the mills and board piles, and thrown into a common pile to be burned, and which was kept almost constantly burning, winter and summer. Thus millions of slabs were burned to get rid of them ; and the burning did not entirely cease until about 1835 or 1840, although the best of them were cut into lath or were used for other purposes much earlier. Pine was here, in early days, almost the only timber sawed ; although some cherry, oak, and other timber was sawed for customers for home consumption ; not much having been sent down the river. Hemlock was hardly deemed worth sawing. Some cucumber, maple, and whitewood were sawed into scantling for bedsteads and other uses.
"The first or but log of a tree was not then squared in the woods, but left in the form it had when chopped down. It must of course be squared before it could be sawed. A single saw-mill had a "butting-saw," attached to the saw-gate, which drew and shoved the saw across the log with each ascending and descending motion of the gate. The refuse piece, or but sawed off, was called a 'butting block,' and carried out to the slab piles and burned. Thus vast quantities of pine were burned to get rid of it, which would now be highly prized. Mill owners afterwards required all logs to be squared at the but before they were brought to the mills ; and butting saws came into disuse. After a while, mill owners purchased logs by the hundred, instead of sawing on shares, even when paid for in boards. The prices of logs varied accord- ing to the prices of boards. When logs were thus purchased, they were measured across the small end with a rule, and the measurements set down in a column, which, added up, showed the total contents of the logs. A log was called or estimated at 200 feet of boards ; and when one bought or sold a hundred logs, they were estimated in this way. There were rules or tables for logs of all sizes, and whether 12 feet or 16 feet long. Hence an average log was called 200 feet. The refuse boards were usually sold by count at about one cent apiece, and many were used for rough, cheap fences. Most of the village lots were first fenced with these boards sustained by stakes and withes ; sometimes by nails on posts. They were sometimes used for sheathing for barns and houses, (culling out the best,) for shingling upon."
In the year 1823, Wm. Forbes, Benj. Runyan, and Wm. Clark, having rented the Kennedy mills, in the present town of Poland, of Kennedy's heirs, got in the logs, and sawed at these mills upwards of four million feet of boards. Many of the logs were cut in the present town of Randolph, near where the academy stands, and floated down the Little Connewango to the mills, and were the first logs ever cut and floated down that stream. All these boards
379
ELLINGTON.
were sold, unassorted, to the "Lumber Company," at $5.50 per thousand feet, unrafted, at the mills. That company was composed of John Frew, John Myers, S. and J. E. Budlong, and Guy C. Irvine. It was supposed that, assorted, one-third of these boards would have proved to be clear stuff. It was said to be one of the best lots of boards made in the county, and commanded the highest price at the time, [1823.] The mills were crowded to their utmost capacity day and night ; two sets of hands being employed.
The saw-mills in Jamestown, while owned by Judge Prendergast, cut about three million feet of boards annually. " Judge Foote follows this statement with the following remarks : "Now that the pine timber is gone, and lumber is scarce and dear, it is melancholy to think of its destruction. A large share of the lumber, in early days, did not bring in market more than it cost to cut the logs, manufacture the lumber, and run it to market ; leaving nothing for the standing timber."
Immense quantities were also manufactured in Worksburg and vicinity, and in the present town of Carroll, from which no statements have been received. From few points, it is believed, has more lumber gone down the Connewango, than from Frewsburgh ; and surely no town has equaled Carroll in its number of mills.
The very low price to which pine lumber was reduced, at one time, by the extraordinary quantity manufactured in the vicinity of Jamestown, is almost incredible. But the fact was well established in a court of justice. A man had given to another a note payable in lumber. The lumber having not been delivered at the time stipulated, the note was of course collectable in cash ; and a suit was commenced. It was proved, on trial, by several witnesses, that lumber was worth, on credit or in barter, $2 per thousand feet ; but in cash, only $1.50 ; and judgment was rendered accordingly.
ELLINGTON.
ELLINGTON was formed from Gerry, April 1, 1824. It comprises township 3, of range 10, of the Holland Company's surveys. At the time of its for- mation, it included Cherry Creek, which was taken off in 1829. It borders on Cattaraugus county on the east. Its surface is an undulating and hilly upland. It is drained principally by Clear creek and its tributaries. The main stream enters the town near the north-west corner, and runs in a south- easterly direction, passing the east side of the village, whence it flows east- ward into Cattaraugus county near the village of Clear Creek. Its two prin- cipal tributaries, from the south and south-west, unite at the village, and flow into the main stream a little below. The Connewango creek passes through the north-east corner, dividing lot 8 nearly centrally, and clipping a small portion of lot 7, and enters Cattaraugus county at Olds' Corners.
380
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Original Purchases in Township 3, Range 10.
1814. August, Joshua Bentley, 7.
1815. April, Joshua Bentley, 16. May, Wyman Bugbee, 29. June, Jas.
Bates, 23. John Love, Jr., and Frederic Love, 29. Sept., Jas. Bates, 48.
1816. April, Simon Lawrence, 38.
1817.
October, Abner Bates, 56. Charles Thacher, 64.
1818.
July, Oliver Bugbee, 23. October, Benjamin Follett, 40.
1819.
May, Ebenezer Green, Jr., 20.
1821. October, Rolli Rublee, 12. Samuel McConnell, 47. Harwood Boyden, 21. Ebenezer Green, Jr., 21. Hiram Putnam, 4.
1822. February, Enos Bush, I. Samuel Newton, 46. May, Gardner Bentley, 16. Benajah Carr, 16. James Leach, 18. Amos Leach, 11. June, Benj. Livermore, 1. Henry Abbey, 32. September, Nathan Brown, 37. David Gates, 11. Henry Day, 24. Seymour Saxton, 18. October, Jeremiah West, Io. John Leach, Io. November, Zenas L. Bemus, I. Ira Gates, 13. December, Gershom Newton, 46.
1824. Ang., Orrin Fairbanks, 3. Sept., Enos Preston, 60. Oran Kings- ley, Jr., 34. Otis Page, 34. Oct., Chester Crofoot, 49. Ransom Williams, 18.
1825. March, Friend L. Fish, 44. April, Nathaniel Fuller, 54. June, Isaac Harmon, 36. Joseph B. Eddy, 52. Nathaniel Dunham, 60. James Tracy, 35. August, Elijah Green, 20. Alva Lawrence, 38. October, Vera- nus Page, 12. November, Isaac Holland, 25.
1826. May, Richard G. Farman, and Jason Bumpus, 57. Richard G. Farman, 57. September, Hosea Saxton, 25.
1827. March, Joshua Bentley, 6. December, George Anderson, 20.
1828. January, Elijah Green, 21. April, Ward King, 16. May, Alvah Lawrence, 38. December, Charles Thatcher, 64.
1830. January, Jonathan Slater, 20. Levi Warner, 32.
The first settlement in this town was made in the north-east part, as is sup- posed, where Joshua Bentley articled, in 1814, a part of lot 7, and in April, 1815, a part of lot 16. The next purchase, as appears from the list of orig- inal sales, was made in May, by Wyman Bugbee, who settled near the Center, and who had a most perilous encounter with a bear. [See p. 83.] And in June, John Love, Jr., and Frederick Love, also bought parts of the same lot, [29.] The Bentleys became numerous, and most of them were in the north-east pirt of the town, in the vicinity of Olds' Corners. The .sons of Joshua Bentley, Sen., were : Joshua, who settled in Cherry Creek ; Stephen, Gardner, and Benjamin. Sons of Joshua, Jr., were : Alexander, in Cherry Creek ; Hiram, removed to the West ; Lemuel, at Olds' Corners. The sons of Gardner were : Amon, deceased ; Ellery, in Cherry Creek ; Benjamin, in Ellington ; and Turner. Sons of Benjamin, the elder : Ira, deceased ; and George, in Cherry Creek. Eldred, brother of Joshua, Sr., settled on lot 15 ; had 2 sons, Eldred, and Perry, who died in town. Near the Bentleys, Ward King settled on lot 16, bought in 1828. His sons were : Wanton, 2d, who died in Indiana; Ward, now in Cherry Creek ; James, deceased ; Nor- man, in Cherry Creek ; Hiram, in Missouri; Benjamin, on the old farm. Daniel W. Waggoner settled on lot 32, on the line of Cherry Creek. Mr. W. an | his son Marshal now reside in the village.
38I
ELLINGTON.
In the east part of the town, Andrew Mather settled on lot 14, where he and his son Whitcomb now reside. His son Wesley, a carpenter and joiner, resides in the village. Ira Day, from Livingston Co., about 1828, settled about a mile and a half east from the village, on lot 13. His son Lorenzo resides on lot 12, near the homestead ; Edwin, in Iowa. Hiram Putnam settled on lot 4 about 1823, where his son Olvin resides. He removed to the village ; and thence to where he now resides, with his son Edwin, a mile east from the village. David Gates, from Genesee Co., settled on lot II, a little south from where his son Rollin resides. His widow lives in the village. Rolli Rubblee, on lot 12, whose sons Rolli and Homer live on the same farm. Elizur Bagg, from Mass., settled about 1839, where he now resides, on lot 5. Sons : Ellison, on the homestead with his father ; and Hiram, who died in 1875.
In the south-east part of the town were the four Leach brothers, from Her- kimer Co., three of whom, James, Amos, and John, were original purchasers, in 1822, and perhaps Joseph also, though his name does not appear as such. James settled on lot 18, but removed early to Pennsylvania. John, on lot 10, where he died several years ago, and where James Anderson, his son-in-law, resides. He resided a short time in Perry, now Wyoming Co., before his removal to this county. Enfield, his son, is a merchant in Randolph. Amos settled on lot 11, a year or two, it is believed, after his purchase. His son, Amos C., resides on the homestead. Warren, another son, died in the naval service, in the late war. Joseph settled on lot 11, where he died. His widow and son Aaron live on the farm. His son Joseph resides in Cattarau- gus Co. Seymour Saxton, in 1822, settled on lot 18, and afterwards removed to Randolph. His son Henry resides on the homestead. Hosea Saxton, brother of Seymour, settled on lot 25. Reuben, his son, lives at Kennedy. John Woodward, Jr., settled on lot 2. He was 7 years supervisor of the town, and in 1835 a member of assembly. He removed to the West. David Woodward, brother of John, settled on lot 9, and has also removed West. Jeremiah West, in or about 1822, settled on lot 10; now lives in the village.
In the south part of the town, George Shulters settled early on lot 42, and has two sons, Henry and Edwin, residing in the neighborhood. Wm. Risley settled on lot 49, and removed to lot 42. Wallace, his son, lives on the center road.
In the south-west part of the town, Richard G. Farman settled on lot 57, where he and his son Richard D. now reside. Joseph Fairbanks on the west line of the town; his son Lorenzo is on the farm; Joseph resides on the center road, west of the village. Moses Wheeler settled on lot 43, about 1824 or 1825 ; has a son, Albert, who lives with his father ; and another, Silas, who lives on lot 33. James Tracy, on lot 35, where his son John resides.
In the west part of the town, on the center road, Friend L. Fisk settled on lot 44, bought in 1825, about 2 m. from the village, where his son David
382
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
resides. James, a brother of Friend, on lot 53. Of his sons, Chas. E. died in the late war; one lives in Kansas; Irvine, LeRoy, and - reside in town.
In the north-west part of the town, James Bates settled on lot 48, pur- chased in 1815, and kept a tavern, said to have been the first in the town. On the same lot, Corydon and Vinal, sons of Abner Bates, and Adna B. Kinsman settled.
Charles Thacher purchased, in 1817, a part of lot 64, on which Theron and Charles subsequently resided ; Charles until his death, and Theron until the present time. Their father, James Thacher, settled on the same lot, where he died many years ago. John Shaw, about 1836, settled on 46, and now resides in the village. His son Cap lives on the homestead. Salmon T. Case, from Mass., on lot 63. His sons, John and Franklin, merchants, and Theodore A., a lawyer, all reside in the village. Israel Carpenter was an early settler where his son Norman M. resides.
In the central part, Ebenezer Green, Jr., settled on lot 20, in 1819, a short distance east of his present residence in the village. His purchase was the first in that vicinity ; the valley there and below having been, for several years, reserved land. Allen Bagg, from Mass., settled, in 1835, on a farm adjoining the village, where he now resides. A son, Henry, lives in town ; another, William, in Randolph. Hiram Bagg, a brother of Allen, in 1836, settled where Allen Bagg, 2d, resides, and now lives in the south part of the village. David Ransom was an early settler on lot 37; afterwards removed to lot 36, adjoining, a mile west of the village. His sons : Sylvester, in the west part of the town ; several others removed from the state; and Richard, who was killed in the late war. Ira Gates, from Chateauguay, N. Y., to Genesee Co., and thence to Ellington, settled south-east of the village, where he resided till his death. His sons Lorrison and Oramel removed to the West; Whitney resides in Poland; Ira L., in the town; Noel C., in the West. Albert G. Brainard, a son-in-law, is on the homestead. George Anderson, a native of Scotland, settled on lot 20, near the village, in 1825. His sons, James, George, and Edwin, reside in the town-George near the homestead. Simon Lawrence settled on lot 38, which he articled in 1816. His sons, Alvah, Simon, and John, reside in the town; Simon, on the home- stead, whose birth is said to have been the first in Ellington. Isaiah Nessle and his brother Joseph B., from Onondaga Co., in 1832, settled on lot 37, where Wm. H., the eldest son of Isaiah, now resides. The brothers bought the cloth-dressing works of a Mr. Hough ; and Joseph afterwards removed the machinery to the village. The sons of Isaiah are William H., John, Darling, Joseph, and Thomas. William and Thomas and their mother reside on the old farm. Joseph B. has a son Henry, in New York; and two daughters, Lydia Ann and Mary. Isaiah died in 1870; Joseph B. resides in the village. John Conet, from Mohawk valley, settled on the land on which David Ransom first settled, lot 37, a mile west of the village, on the center road. His sons are : Joseph, in the west part of the town ; and John J., in the south-west part, near Gerry.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.