History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 50
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 50
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
Isaac Cobb, from Franklin Co., Vt., settled, in 1820, upon lot 26. His sons, Freeman, Isaac, John, and Roland, also became residents of the town. Roland was for many years largely engaged in lumbering in Gerry; built the store and house now owned by S. E. Palmer, at Vermont, in 1837; and was during two years in trade there. He removed from the town in 1846.
Howard B. Blodgett, in 1826, opened the first store at Vermont. Sidney E. Palmer came to Gerry before 1840, and became a merchant at Vermont, where he has since resided, chiefly engaged in mercantile pursuits. During his residence in Gerry, he has been a prominent citizen, and was 5 years supervisor of the town. In 1859, he was a member of assembly.
Levi Cowden, Henry Warner, Elisha Baker, Stoddard Cannon, James Alverson, Benj. Matthews, Cobb Matthews, Stephen Pratt, Skelton Palme- ter, Nehemiah Horton, Gardner Salisbury, Jesse Walker, Henry Kirk, Wm. Mellen, Joel Ward, Jeptha L. Heminger, David Ostrander, Benjamin and Joseph Wheat, Mr. Rugg, Dr. Fargo, Ammi and James Chipman, Abiel Robbins, Benj. Wait, Paul Starr, Wm. Shepardson, Capt. Dingley, Mr. Stearns, and Pliny Shepardson, were all early settlers of the town. Some of them have left many descendants there.
Stages were first run through the town in 1827, by Obed Edson and Ren- ben Scott. In 1852, the Fredonia and Sinclairville plank road was built in the town, passing through the village of Vermont. In 1871, the Dunkirk, Allegany Valley & Pittsburgh Railroad was built, passing through the west part of the town. It has two stations in the town-Sinclairville station in the north-western part, and Vermont station.
The first town-meeting in Gerry, as at present constituted, was held at the house of Calvin Cutting, May 2, 1830. The officers chosen were :
400
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Supervisor-Hugh B. Paterson. Town Clerk-Howard B. Blodgett. As- sessors-Wm. Mellen, Wm. M. Waggoner, Calvin Smith. Com'rs of High- ways-Wm. Mellen, Jr., Willard Bucklin, Horace Strong. Com'rs of Schools-Benj. Tuttle, Jr., James Schofield, Nathan Hatch. Inspectors of Schools-Wm. Mellen, Jr., James Bucklin, Jr., Samuel J. Goodrich, Over- seers of Poor-Wm. Gilmour, Gilbert Strong. Collector -- Wm. Gilmour. Justices-Leander Mellen, Hugh B. Paterson. Sealer-Nehemiah Horton. Poundmaster-David Cobb.
Supervisors from 1813 to 1874.
Samuel Sinclear, 1813, '15, '16, '18, '19, '20. Amos Atkins, 1814. Selah Picket, 1817. Joel Burnell, 1821, '28. Hugh B. Paterson, 1822 to '27, 1830, 1832 to '35-1I years. Nathan Lake, 1829. James Schofield, Jr., 1851. Willard Bucklin, 1837, '40, '41, '55, '57-8 years. Wm. M. Wag- goner, 1838, '45. Wm. Bliss, 1839, '49. Wm. R. Wilson, 1841, '42. Sidney E. Palmer, 1843, '54, '56, '73, '74. Wm. Mellen, 1850. James Bucklin, 1851, '52. Lyman S. Eaton, 1853. Samuel Griffith, 1858, '59. Robert Lenox, 60. Galusha Beardsley, 1861, '62, '65, '66, '69, '70-6 years. George A. Aldrich, 1863, '64. Frank B. Dennison, 1867, '68. Wm. H. Scott, 1871, '72.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
WILLIAM ALVERSON, son of Thomas Alverson, was born in Rhode Island about 1780, and died in Gerry, June 11, 1828. He removed with his father's family to Halifax, Vt .; thence to Chenango Co., N. Y., about 1811. In 1815, he removed to Gerry, and settled upon land near Vermont, that he had a few years previously selected when visiting this county. Daniel Alverson, his brother Jonathan Alverson's son, came a few years later to reside with him. Daniel died June 12, 1827. About 1821, the remainder of his brother Jonathan's family came also from the state of Vermont, to reside with him. William Alverson, and his brother James, who settled in Gerry about 1820, were among the founders of the Methodist church in Gerry.
ABNER DINGLEY was born July 23, 1761, and died Feb. 2, 1831. He resided in Duxbury, Mass., until he came to Chautauqua Co. He was in early life a navigator of the ocean. He and his two brothers were the own- ers of the ship Three Brothers, of which he was the captain. This vessel was captured near the coast of France, and confiscated under Bonaparte's decree respecting neutral vessels. This misfortune caused him to go west, and he settled in the north part of Gerry, in May or June, 1816, upon the farm now owned by his grandson, George Dingley.
WARREN DINGLEY, son of Abner, was born in Duxbury, Mass., Sept. 18, 1795, and died in Gerry, Dec. 30, 1853. He came to Gerry, Nov. 13, 1816. During many years after, he navigated the great lakes, and was first mate of the Superior, the second steamboat on Lake Erie. He also built, and was part owner of, the La Grange, of which he was captain until his return, in 1832, to his farm in Gerry, near Sinclairville. He was one of the safest and
40I
GERRY.
most successful captains during the early navigation of the lakes. George Dingley, of this town, is his son. His brother-in-law, Melzar Hunt, who was also a sea-captain, settled on lot 48, in Gerry, in 1817.
SYLVANUS EATON was born in Massachusetts in 1767, and died in 1848. He resided in Schoharie Co., N. Y., and subsequently emigrated to Frank- lin Co., Vt. March 1, 1817, he removed from Vermont to the town of Gerry, upon the land he had purchased a short distance northerly from Vermont, where he had erected the body of a log house the fall before. His sons, Walter, Lyman, Pearl, and Harry, came to Gerry in 1818, and became lead- ing citizens of the town.
REUBEN FESSENDEN was born in Windham Co., Vt., Dec. 12, 1786, and died Sept. 13, 1866. His wife, Lucretia, died July 2, 1865, aged 76. He was in the battle of Plattsburgh, in the last war with England. He came on foot from the state of Vermont, in the fall of 1815, and put up the body of a log house on lot 46, on the highway leading from Sinclairville to Vermont. He returned on foot the same fall to the state of Vermont ; and in October, 1816, he came to Gerry with his family to reside. Albro Fessenden, of this town, is his son. His brother, Solomon Fessenden, was born in Windham Co., Vt., Dec. 20, 1788, and came to Gerry a little earlier in the same year in which his brother Reuben came; and settled south-easterly from Vermont.
JOHN LOVE was born Jan. 29, 1789, and died in Gerry, March 18, 1859. He came from Oneida Co. to Chautauqua in 1809 or 1810. About the year 1812, he removed from the town of Ellery, where he then resided, to the town of Gerry, a short distance south of Sinclairville, where he for many years kept an inn. He also, at a later period, kept the hotel at Sinclairville. He served as a soldier in the war of 1812, at Buffalo. His wife, Mary S. Love, was born Sept. 14, 1788, and died Jan 29, 1857. They had 9 chil- dren : Katharine, wife of Erastus Love ; Nelson ; Cornelia, wife of Jacob Langworthy, residing in Charlotte ; Sally ; Mary, who married Arnold Kirk ; Margaret ; Levi, Lester, and Joy, who resides in Portland. Of these 9 chil- dren, only Cornelia and Joy are living.
JOHN McCOLLOUGH was born in Bennington, Vt., June 8, 1788, and died in Gerry, June 17, 1874. He came to Otsego when quite young, and, while residing there, he was married to Cynthia St. John. In 1812, he moved to Ontario Co .; and, in the spring of 1817, to Arkwright in this county. In the fall of the same year he moved to Gerry, near Sinclairville. Two years and a half later, he purchased a farm two miles south of Sinclairville, which he owned for many years. For 16 years he was a justice of the peace in Gerry.
MELZAR SYLVESTER was born in Massachusetts, about the year 1784, and died in Gerry, in Dec., 1863. When quite young, he removed to Lewis Co., N. Y., where he learned his trade, that of tanner and currier. He afterwards resided in Madison Co., where he was married to Anna Gilmore, the sister of James and Wm. Gilmore. Mr. Sylvester first came to Fredonia, and about 1811 moved to Gerry, near Sinclairville. His children were: 1. Fordyce,
26
402
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
who married Mary Kirk, and now'resides in Gerry. 2. William, who mar- ried Jane Woodworth, and died in Gerry. 3. Darwin, who married Mary Strong, and resides in Sinclairville. 5. Henry, who married F. Ursula Edson, and resides in Sinclairville. 5. Edwin, who married Mary Race, and resides in Gerry. 6. Charlotte, wife of George W. Sinclear, and resides in Gerry. 7. Mary Ann, wife of Jarvis B. Rice, deceased, formerly sheriff of Chautauqua county ; she resides in Sinclairville. 8. Rosette, who was twice married ; first to Dr. Samuel Parker, and afterwards to Martin Dunton ; she is deceased. 9. Elizabeth, wife of Henry F. Terry, deceased ; she resides in Gerry.
Rev. JONATHAN WILSON was born in Colerain, Mass., April 12, 1777, and died in Gerry, N. Y., May 13, 1868, aged 91 years. He came from Guilford, Vt., to this county in August, 1818, as a missionary of the Shaftsbury (Vt.) Baptist Board of Missions. He organized a number of churches in the county in 1819 and 1820, among which were the First Baptist Church of Sinclairville, the First Baptist Church of Mayville, the First Baptist Church of Portland, and the Second Baptist Church of Ellicott. He held the first religious meeting in town, in 1818. The First Baptist Church in Gerry was organized about 1820, as a branch of the Stockton Baptist church, and held their meetings at Jerry M. Abbey's log house, at what was then known as " The Huddle," a little cluster of log houses near the "Old Cutting Stand." During his ministry of 58 years, he baptized, by immersion, 1,392 persons ; preached about 9,000 sermons, in ten different states, and traveled 75,000 miles. He had two sons, William R. and Austin. The latter married Sarah Burch, in Rhode Island, and never resided permanently in Chautauqua county.
WILLIAM R. WILSON, son of Jonathan, was born Feb. 23, 1801, and came from Guilford, Vt., with his father, in August, 1818, and settled on lot 34, in Gerry, where he now resides. His wife, Rebecca Fisher, from Grafton, N. H., who was born June 7, 1799, joined him here the following year, making the journey of 400 miles in 19 days. He is a member of the Baptist church in Gerry, which was early organized by his father. He has also served the peo- ple of his town during a large portion of the time since its formation, in the offices of supervisor, assessor, and justice of the peace. He had 11 children : I. William W., who married Lurissa G. Cutting, and resides in Jamestown. 2. Newel J., who married Laura Strong, and resides in " Vermont Settle- ment." 3. Betsey Mila, wife of Jonah E. Cutting, in Dagolia, Pa. 4. Mar- vin, who married Rachel A. Strong, sister of Newel's wife. He died in the "settlement," where his widow resides. 5. Austin C., who married Agnes Kishlar. He also died here; she died in Michigan. 6. Caroline R., deceased, who was the wife of Dennis Smith. 7. Harriet A., who married Samuel B. Woods, and died here. 8. Emily A., who married John Strong, both living. 9. Jarvis K., who married Cordelia M. Partridge, and resides at Vermont. 10. Mary Jane, who died in infancy. 11. Odin G., who mar- ried Rosamond Jackson, and resides here.
W. R. Milson
403
HANOVER.
CHURCHES.
The Methodist Episcopal Church in Gerry was the first religious associa- tion in the town, and was formed in or about the year .1819, the first religious meeting having been held in the spring of 1818, by Elder Jonathan Wilson. The Society, as such, was subsequently organized under the general statute of the state ; and December 12, 1828, a deed was executed to James Schofield, the grandfather of Major-General Schofield, Wm. Alverson, and Stoddard Cameron as its trustees, of 100 acres of land, by the Holland Land Com- pany, of lands appropriated by them to religious purposes. Upon this land was built the first church erected in the town, which was situated upon lot 53, and on the road leading from Sinclairville to Vermont, a little north-west from the center of the town.
The First Baptist Church of Gerry was formed by Rev. Jonathan Wilson, about 1820. It was composed chiefly of members from the Stockton Baptist church. They held their meetings in Jerry Abbey's log house, at what was then known as "The Huddle," a small cluster of log houses near the old Cutting stand.
The only church edifice in the town is a free church which will seat 200 persons, built a few years since at Vermont.
HANOVER.
HANOVER was formed from Pomfret, June 1, 1812. Villenova was taken from it in 1823, and a part of Sheridan in 1827. It comprises township 6, of the roth range, which, besides the territory usually contained in a township 6 miles square, extends several miles north to Lake Erie and Cattaraugus creek, which form its northern boundary. A part of the Cattaraugus Indian reservation lies in the north-east part of the town. The principal streams in the interior of the town are Silver creek, which flows in a north-west direc- tion through the town into Lake Erie ; and Walnut creek, which runs through all the western border lots of the town, and forms a junction with Silver creek near its mouth. The soil is chiefly clay and gravelly loam. Silver Creek and Forestville are incorporated villages. The former was incorpora- ted June 8, 1848, and had, in 1870, a population of 666 ; the latter, incor- porated April 4, 1849, had a population of 722. Irving, on Cattaraugus creek, near Lake Erie, had about 600 inhabitants. The upper part of this village was for many years called La Grange. Probably through the influ- ence of the Irving Company, who had in prospect the western terminus of the N. Y. & Erie railroad at the mouth of the Cattaraugus, and whose oper- ations are noticed in a subsequent page, the name of the post-office was changed to Irving.
The earliest residents of the town of Hanover settled at and near the Cattaraugus creek, on lands embraced in what was termed Cattaraugus Village.
404
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
The dates of their settlement can not in all cases be definitely stated. In the following list of purchases, the dates indicate the times of the execution of the articles of agreement. The numbers followed by the initials C. V., rep- resent the numbers of the lots in Cattaraugus Village, of which there was a survey separate and distinct from that of the rest of the town.
Original Purchases in the Town of Hanover.
1804. December 31, Charles Avery, 3, C. V. Wm. G. Sidney, 1, 2, C. V., transferred to John Mack.
1805. Jesse and John Skinner, 73. May, John Tyler, 10.
1806. March, Charles Avery, 5, 56, C. V., transferred and articled to Sylvanus Mabee. July, Amos Sottle, 55, 59, C. V. Oct., Abner Cooley, 61.
1807. John Smith and David Scott, 73, articled to Artemas Clothier. May, Ezra Puffer, 58, C. V. August, Samuel Johnson, 68.
1808. June, Rufus Washburn, 57. Benjamin Kenyon, 63, C. V. Syl- vanus Mabee, 7. Nov., Walter Lull, and Martin B. Tubbs, 50.
1809. May, Samuel Johnson, 51. Amos Ingraham, 5, C. V. June, Daniel Holbrook, 58. September, Guy Webster, 3. Artemas Clothier, 73. December, Joseph Brownell, 11. Asher Cooley, 53.
1810. January, Thomas Chapman, 13. March, Guy Webster, 10. April, Daniel Farnham, 51. James Webb, 10. James Bennett, 59. May, Alpheus Cotton, 34. Uriah Nash, 19. Wm. Jones, 33. James Knapp, 18. Joseph Lull, -. June, Thomas White, 57. Joseph Lull, 50. July, John Patter- son. December, John Mack.
18II. January, Benj. Kenyon, 61, C. V. April, Job Knight, 63. Hez- ekiah Fisk, 53. August, Isaac Smith, Erastus Scott, 45, 53. November, Reuben Edmonds, 55, 74. December, Salmon Prentiss.
1812. March, Jacob Burgess, 72. Nedabiah Angell, 47.
1814. April, Benj. Smith, 45. July, Otis Tower, 69. Dec., Uriah Nash, 19.
1815. February, James Webb, 19. September, Joseph Brownell, 20.
1816. March, David Convis, 54. Norman Spink, 52. October, George E. Kirkland, 5. November, Orlando Wilcox, Christopher McManus. Dec., Walter Libbey, 12.
1817. February, Thos. Nevins, 37. April, Wm. McManus, 32. Samuel P. McKee, 35.
1818. November, Salmon Gregory, 59.
1820. June, James E. Mack, 16, C. V.
1822. May, James Black, 33.
1823. October, Wm. Pattison, 53. November, Israel Pattison, 43.
1826. December, George Love, 3.
1827. February, William Dinsmore, 32. March, Don S. Downer. De- cember, Belinus Green.
From the foregoing list it appears that Charles Avery was the earliest pur- chaser of land in Hanover ; and it may hence be inferred that he was the first settler. But several persons are said to have lived at Cattaraugus creek before Mr. Avery came. And he was there himself a year or more before the date of his purchase. It is generally conceded that the first person who lived there was Amos Sottle, who, however, it will be seen, did not obtain an article until 1806. It is extensively believed that he was the earliest set- tler in this county.
405
HANOVER.
In regard to the settlement in this town, the following statements will probably not be disputed :
In 1798 and 1799, Sottle assisted in surveying the range and township lines in this part of the Holland Purchase. He is designated on the records among the names of the surveying company employed by Mr. Ellicott, as " Amos Sawtel, axeman." He is said to have had a " shanty" near the creek, in which he lived alone, for a year or longer previous to his entering into the service of the Holland Land Company. He afterwards went to the north- eastern part of Ohio, then a part of the great North-western Territory, where he was for a time engaged in similar labor with a surveying company. He returned in 1801, accompanied by Sydney or Skinner, who ferried emigrants across the creek, and built a small log house for the entertainment of travelers. This property afterwards came into the possession of John Mack, by whom it was kept for many years.
The following brief statement of the early settlement in the north part of the town, as taken from the list of original purchases, and as given by early settlers, is believed to be correct :
Charles Avery purchased lot 3, C. V., Dec. 31, 1804; and in March, 1806, lots 5, 56, C. V., transferred and articled to Sylvanus Mabee. Mr. Avery had a small assortment of goods for trade with the Indians. Wm. G. Sid- ney, also Dec. 31, 1804, bought lots 1, 2, C. V., transferred to John Mack. Sidney is said to have come as early as 1801 or 1802, and afterwards kept an inn for the accommodation of persons traveling to the West, a large por- tion of them being emigrants from Connecticut to the Western Reserve in Ohio, then known as New Connecticut. Jesse and John Skinner settled on lot 73, articled Feb., 1805, and John Tyler on lot 10, bought in May, 1805. Amos Sottle, who claimed to have been the first settler in the county, took articles of lots 55 and 59, C. V., July, 1806. Abner Cooley, 61, Oct., 1806. In 1807, John Smith and David Scott bought part of lot 73, which was articled to Artemas Clothier. In May, 1807, Ezra Puffer bought lot 58, C. V. In 1808, Benj. Kenyon bought lot 63, C. V. Samuel Prentiss purchased in the north part of the town, in 1811. A son, Dr. Salmon M. Prentiss, is a prac- ticing physician at Irving. Otis Tower settled on lot 69, bought in 1814. His sons, Lanson and Lyman, with their families, still reside in the town. Salmon Gregory, on lot 68, bought in 1818.
In the north part of the town, Samuel Johnson, 1807, bought on lot 68, where he settled, and afterwards removed to lot 51, near Forestville, where he died. He had no sons. A daughter is the wife of the late Rev. I. H. Tackett, of Forestville. Ephraim Hall was an early settler, about 1809, an estimable citizen, and for many years a justice of the peace. His sons were : Solon, owner of a mill at Irving, and long since deceased ; Rev. Wm. Hall, missionary on Allegany reservation ; Benj. F., superintendent of the Thomas Orphan Asylum on Cattaraugus reservation. At a later period, Lyman Howard, a blacksmith and farmer, settled near Silver Creek. His son, Allen G., and two daughters, reside at Hornellsville. Philo Newton,
406
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
from Mass., came with his family about 1818. His sons were Philo, Isaac, Samuel, Lyman, Charles, George, and Henry J. Samuel and Lyman are farmers in town. Henry J. resides at Silver Creek, and has been a justice of the peace. He owns a tract of fine land on Cattaraugus bottoms, and a grist-mill and a saw-mill at Irving. The four other sons are deceased. Rufus L. Bonney, a captain in the war of 1812, settled on Cattaraugus flats at Irving, soon after the war, where he resides at an advanced age, and is still a pensioner. Charles A. H. McGregor, a nephew of Joseph Ellicott, was a merchant and farmer at Irving. His wife is a daughter of Reuben W. Moore, a keeper of the Cattarangus House [Mack's old stand,] and pro- prietor of a line of stages between Buffalo and Erie. William Cole built the first toll bridge across Cattaraugus creek for Rufus S. Reed, an old settler at Erie, Pa. He was an active business man, and died July 3, 1872. John Mack, an early settler [1806,] was long an innkeeper and ferryman. A son, John, resides at South Bend, Indiana. James, another son, died in town at an early age. His widow married Samuel T. Barr, and resides in Portland. Asa Gage, a blacksmith, settled early at Silver Creek, and was father-in-law of Wm. D. Talcott. Albert G. Adsit settled on lot 63, where he still resides. His sons, Henry and Leonard, reside in Silver Creek ; another son, Charles D., died in Milwaukee, in 1873.
Among a later class of settlers in the north part of the town were the following :
Henry P. Wilcox, from Connecticut about 1826, was a son of a Revolu- tionary general, practiced medicine many years, and was several years assist- ant secretary of state. About 1829, Abraham Plumb, brother of Joseph, Ralph, and Alvin, settled at Irving, and was interested in mill property. John I. Thorn, from Dutchess Co., about 1830, a member of the Society of Friends, was a merchant in company with Judge Niram Sackett, at La Grange, [now Irving,] and died in 1836. No sons living. His four daughters married respectively, Niram Sackett; John J. Gurnsey, now of Buffalo; Henry H. Hawkins, merchant, Silver Creek ; and Rev. Francis Granger, of Forestville. Ezekiel, B. Gurnsey, from Dutchess Co., in 1831, was a supervisor, justice, and a member of assembly. A son, Duane L., formerly a merchant at Fredonia and La Grange, and a farmer, now resides at Pittsford, N. Y. A daughter is the wife of Orson Stiles, banker at Fredo- nia. John J. Gurnsey, brother of Ezekiel, was a partner in mercantile and other business in La Grange. Jane, a daughter of John, is the wife of Palmer G. Strong, now of Richmond, Va .; another, Priscilla, the wife of the late Wm. H. Camp, of Randolph ; another, Josephine, the wife of Warren Dow, of Buffalo. A son, Delos, was killed in battle at Williamsburgh, Va. Cephas R. Leland, a lawyer, settled at La Grange, about 1836 .. [See por- trait and sketch.] Thomas B. Stoddard, also a lawyer, settled about the same time ; removed to the West, and resides at La Crosse, Wis. Abiathar Gates, from Madison Co., settled at Silver Creek about 1830. He was father-in-law of Amos Dow, formerly of Silver Creek, now merchant and
407
HANOVER.
banker at East Randolph, N. Y .; also of A. Farnham Howard, railroad con- ductor, Dunkirk ; and of the late Dr. Spencer Ward. Sylvester Andrews settled at Silver Creek. He was father of Wilson Andrews, whose sons are LeRoy, a lawyer at Silver Creek, and supervisor in 1874; Joseph, who resides in town; and Reuben, now sheriff of Saginaw Co., Mich. David Woodbury, from Mass., settled first at Fredonia ; removed about 1834 to Hanover, and resides at Silver Creek. He is a Baptist minister. A son, David R., is a justice, at Silver Creek ; William, another son, is a lawyer, at Gowanda, and has been a first judge of Cattaraugus Co.
In the north-west part, Jacob Burgess settled on lot 72, bought in 1812. He was a practicing physician at Silver Creek, and was father of Rev. Chalon Burgess, of Panama ; of Mrs. Warren Montgomery, and of Mrs. Samuel Scoville. He was a man of science, and a skillful physician. Artemas Clothier settled, in 1809, at Silver Creek [lot 73,] where he still lives at the age of 89.
In the south-east part, Guy Webster, in 1809, bought a part of lot 3 ; and Joseph Brownell, lot 11. Mr. B. was a member of the First Hanover Bap- tist Church, Nashville, and a deacon. Uriah Nash bought a part of lot 19, in 1810 ; and James Webb, a little earlier, the same year, lot 18. Mr. Webb, in 1815, bought also a part of lot 19. Walter Libbey, in 1816, a part of lot 12. In December, 1826, George Love, part of lot 3. He was from Madi- son Co. ; was a prominent citizen of Forestville, and a brother of the late Thomas C. Love, of Buffalo, a member of Congress.
In the east part, Thomas Chapman settled on lot 13, where he bought in 1810. Several of his sons reside in the town. Another, Captain Hiram Chapman, lives near Versailles, and is a horticulturist. George Kirkland, on lot 5, bought in 1816.
In the south part of the town, Alpheus Coon bought lot 34, in 1810. In 1817, Wni. McManus, 32 ; and Samuel P. McKee, 35. John and Ambrose, sons of McKee, reside at Silver Creek. James Black, in 1822, bought in lot 33. A daughter was the wife of Sabin Brownell. In 1827, Wm. Dins- moor, lot 32.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.