History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 51

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 51


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


In the central part of the town, Nedabiah Angell settled on lot 47, bought in 1812. His brother, Ethan, at a later date, settled in that vicinity ; and the place came to be known as " Angell's Settlement," and also as " Hanover Center." Benj. Smith, in 1814, bought in lot 45, about 272 miles north-east from Forestville. Thomas Nevins, lot 37 ; a son, Ansel S., has been for many years a justice. He and his brother Benjamin reside in the town. About 1830, Leonard Christy, from Dutchess Co., settled in the vicinity of Angell's Settlement. His sons, Gideon H. and Henry R., are farmers in the town ; William L., at Silver Creek, has been a justice.


In the south-west part, Walter Lull and Martin B. Tubbs, in Nov., 1809, bought on lot 50. Tubbs was a captain of a company in the war of 1812. His son, Benajah, kept a hotel many years in Forestville. Rufus Washburn bought a part of lot 57, in June, 1808. Daniel Holbrook settled on lot 58,


408


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


bought in 1809. A daughter of Mr. H. is the wife of the Rev. J. Hyatt Smith, of Brooklyn ; another, the wife of Frederick W. Breed, of Buffalo. Daniel Farnham bought a part of lot 51, in 1810 ; James Bennett, 59. He was a Baptist preacher, from Madison Co., and an early pastor of the Baptist church at Forestville. James Knapp, on lot 18, bought in 1810 ; and Joseph Lull, 50. Mr. Knapp's descendants reside in the town. Thomas White settled on lot 57, and was a prosperous farmer. His descendants are still in town. Orlando Wilcox and Christopher McManus bought, in 1816, lot 56. McManus was a Revolutionary soldier. Several of his sons are dead. James still resides in town. A daughter is the wife of - Gage ; another, the wife of Thomas W. Wilcox, of Villenova. In 1823, Wm. Pattison, in Octo- ber, and Israel Pattison, in November, bought parts of lot 43, about two miles easterly from Forestville. Thomas Frink settled early. His sons were : John ; Rev. Alonzo, at Corry, Pa. ; Loren, deceased ; Sylvester, in the West ; Thomas, [probably dead ; ] and Harvey.


In the west part, Asher Cooley bought part of lot 53, in 1806. In 1811, Job Knight, 63 ; Hezekiah Fisk, 55 ; Isaac Smith and Erastus Scott, 45, 53; and Reuben Edmonds, 55. Mr. Edmonds was a justice of the peace. He removed to the West. David Convis, in 1816, bought lot 54. His son, Gen. Ezra Convis, was connected with the farmers' store at Silver Creek, then Fayette ; removed to Mich., and was speaker of the house of representatives.


Of the first town-meeting there is probably no record to be found. The town was formed June 1, 1812, after the town-meetings had been held. It is said, however, that town officers were elected that year, and that Joseph Brownell was elected supervisor. Yet the election is not recorded in the clerk's book ; nor does the name of Mr. Brownell appear among the names of the supervisors in the session of the board in 1812. At the session of 1813, Nedabiah Angell represented the town in the board; though in the list of town officers elected in 1813, Daniel Russell is named as supervisor.


That there was an election in 1812, and that Joseph Brownell was elected supervisor, we are assured by old settlers who know the fact. The legislature of that year had been prorogued by Gov. Tompkins, by the exercise of a power vested in him by the old constitution of 1777; and was to meet again in May to complete their unfinished business. At this second meeting the new town was formed. And as the town-meetings for the year had been held, provision was probably made for a special election for choosing town officers. But why the name does not appear among others of the board of supervisors in the fall, no person probably knows. The book entitled, Ab- stracts of the Proceedings of the Boards of Supervisors, gives the name of no one for supervisor in 1812, but records the name of Nedabiah Angell as supervisor in 1813 ; names Joseph Brownell for 1814; and Daniel Russell for 1815. In answer to a letter of inquiry, the town clerk of Hanover sent the following list of the town officers.


At the annual town-meeting held at the house of Daniel Holbrook, April 4, 1814, officers were chosen as follows :


409


HANOVER.


Supervisor-Daniel Russell. Town Clerk-Elisha Skinner. Assessors- Nedabiah Angell, Martin B. Tubbs, Ezra Puffer. Collector -- William Jones. Overseers of the Poor-Joseph Brown, Daniel Barber. Com'rs of Highways -Thomas White, Dennis Barnes, Reuben Edmonds. Constable-William Jones. Com'rs of Schools-Seth Snow, Daniel Russell, John E. Howard. Inspectors of Schools-James Ball, Elisha Skinner, Artemas Clothier.


Supervisors from 1812 to 1875.


Joseph Brownell, 1812, '14, '16, '17, '19. Nedabiah Angell, 1813. Dan- iel Russell, 1815, 1828 to '30-4 years. Nathan Mixer, 1820 to '24, '26, '27, '31, '32, '36-10 years. Seth Snow, 1825. Oliver Lee, 1833 to '35. Wm. Colvill, Jr., 1837, '46, '50, '51. Ebenezer R. Avery, 1838. Adolphus F. Morrison, 1839, '48. Ezekiel B. Gurnsey, 1840. Thomas C. Hale, 1841. Jeremiah Ellsworth, 1842, '44, '45. Orson Stiles, 1843. Henry H. Hawkins, 1847. Charles H. Lee, 1849, '52. Hiram Smith, 1853, '54. Clark C. Swift, 1855, '56. Hiram Smith, 2d, 1857 to '59. Chandler Scott, 1860 to '62, '67 -4 years. Cyrus 'D. Angell, 1863. Wm. D. Talcott, 1864. Naham S. Scott, 1865, '66. John D. Hiller, 1868, '69. Norman B. Brown, 1870, '71. Smith Clark, 1872, '73. LeRoy Andrews, 1874. Carlos Ewell, 1875.


SILVER CREEK.


The land on which Silver Creek stands was bought by Abel Cleveland and David Dickinson. Their purchase comprised the whole of lot 74, tp. 6, r. Io, and was entered Feb. 23, 1805. On the Land Company's book is the following : " The above lot was taken up in the year 1804, or the latter part of 1803. For date, see contract." Of the west part of the lot, 172 acres, and of the east part, 151 acres, were articled by the Company, in two arti- cles, to John E. Howard, the latter dated Aug. 1, 1803 ; the other probably about the same time. Cleveland and Dickinson reserved the residue, about 30 acres, on which their mills were built. The saw-mill was built first ; and before the grist-mill was built, there were attached to the saw-mill a large wooden mortar and pestle for pounding corn into coarse meal. The mill- stones for the grist-mill were manufactured from boulders taken from the hill- side about 100 rods from where the mill stood, and were afterwards used in the mill built by Thos. Kidder and Nehemiah Heaton on Walnut creek, near where the great black walnut tree stood. In 1806, Mr. Howard being the only settler here, and owner of the mill property, Norman Spink and Arte- mas Clothier came ; the latter of whom still resides in the village, at the age . of 89 ; the former died in 1873, aged 85 years. In 1828, Oliver Lee, of Westfield, bought the above mentioned property of John E. Howard. There were then about 8 or 10 families within the limits of the present corporation. In or about the year 18-, Nehemiah Heaton and Thomas Kidder built a saw-mill and a grist-mill where Joseph and Wilson Andrews' saw-mill stands, in the south part of the village. Later, a saw-mill was built by Hollam and John Vail, where afterwards, 1829 or 1830, Hollam Vail and James Howard built a grist-mill and a carding-machine and cloth-dressing establishment.


410


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


The first store in this place, says an early settler, was kept by Stephen Clark, on the north side of Walnut creek, and was afterwards removed to the south side. Another, an equally early settler, has no recollection of Clark's store, and believes the first store was kept by John E. Howard and Manning Case, in company. John M. Cumings, at a later date, commenced trade, and continued it a year, or longer. In 1828, Oliver Lee and Clark C. Swift, in company, commenced the mercantile business, and continued it until 18-, and were succeeded by Ephraim R. Ballard & Co., for a short time, after which the business was continued by Henry H. Hawkins, formerly the part- ner of Ballard. Mr. Hawkins is still in the business. In 1829, Ammi Mar- chant and Daniel Rumsey commenced trade ; and after the death of Mr. Marchant, the business was continued by Foote & Rumsey, and afterwards by Rumsey and Horatio N. Farnham, [firm, H. N. Farnham & Co .; ] next, without change of firm name, by Farnham and Justin Clark, and Farnham and Joseph Wells. The store next passed to Mack Montgomery and Charles Wells, and a few years after to Mr. Wells, by whom, as sole proprietor, it was continued till 1872. Gen. Ezra Convis commenced trade in 1826, and con- tinued it until 1828. A farmers' store was afterwards established, of which he had the chief management. The enterprise was an unfortunate one, many of the farmers having become deeply involved by its failure. Present merchants-Henry H. Hawkins, Oliver L. Swift & Co., and H. N. Farnham.


A drug store, in connection with a grocery, was kept for many years by Charles Lockwood, who now resides in Baltimore with his son Henry. A daughter is the wife of Rodney B. Smith, who also is in Baltimore. A drug store is at present kept by Melvin Montgomery and Wm. Talcott, Jr.


A hardware and stove store, and the manufacture of tinware, etc., was es- tablished about 183-, by George D. Farnham and Uriah Spencer, and con- tinued several years. George Schaffner and Rudolph Nagle are conducting a similar business at the same place. Albert G. Dow was engaged for several years in the hardware and other business in Silver Creek, and removed about 1850 to Randolph, where he is now in the banking business. He is a mem- ber of the state senate.


The first tavern is supposed to have been kept by John E. Howard as early as 1806, where the smut machine manufactory stands. The Silver Creek House was built by Oliver Lee in 1831 and 1832. It was kept first by Larned Gale, and was sold to Jonathan Keith, and was afterwards owned and kept by Wm. Keith. It is now owned by John Tilton, and occupied by Alva Montgomery. Alfred H. Rann was an early innkeeper in the south part of the village, then called Fayette.


A distillery was built about 1823, by N. Wattles; afterwards another by Stephen Clark ; later, one by Con Dalrymple ; and last, one by Oliver Lee. The temperance reformation has here, as elsewhere, put a period to this branch of business.


The first physician is believed to have been Jacob Burgess, who came about 1812, and continued practice until his death, many years ago. Among


4II


HANOVER.


those who came before and after his death, were Drs. Calvin Wood, Daniel Rumsey, Austin A. Ackley, Jeremiah Ellsworth. Present physicians-Spen- cer Ward, George B. Bishop, John C. Cheeseman, and E. R. Howie.


The first lawyer is believed to have been - Rathbun ; later, Peyton Cook, and Elisha Ward, who was also an associate judge, a member of assembly and of the senate of this state. John R. Arnold was a lawyer at Silver Creek, and also a justice of the peace. John R. McDonald came about 1848, and was a lawyer and a justice.


Wm. Van Duzer was appointed postmaster, about 1832, and held the office many years. After his death, the office was held by his widow, and after her death, by her daughter Laura.


Wm. D. Talcott, from Conn., came to Silver Creek about 1832. He was for many years in the lumber trade; has been supervisor of Hanover ; and still resides at Silver Creek. John Vail, a brother of Hollam Vail, was a lake captain, and built one or two vessels at Silver Creek. Bushnell Andrews also was a lake captain, and resided many years at Silver Creek. Hezekiah Fisk, from Oneida Co., settled in Sheridan, on lot 67, in 1806, and a few years after in Hanover, on lot 55. He now resides at Silver Creek. He had 12 children, of whom 4 are living : Huldah, wife of H. S. Tucker, Salt Lake, Utah ; Marvin, married, and lives in Mentor, O .; Polly, wife of - Carpenter, Albany, Ill .; and R. W. Fisk, Silver Creek.


Edmund Clark was an early carriage maker, and still continues the busi- ness. His son, Smith Clark, was supervisor of Hanover in 1872 and '73. Samuel Scoville was also a carriage-maker at Silver Creek. He was son-in- law of Dr. Jacob Burgess. Ezekiel Montgomery, a millwright, at Silver Creek, died here about 1868. His widow and son, Baldwin, reside in Silver Creek. Other sons are Henry, in Buffalo; and Martin, in Newark, O.


The first tannery at Silver Creek was carried on by Jacob Morrison, who came there at the close of the war of 1812-15. It was on the east side of the stream, below the junction of Walnut and Silver creeks, and west ot Newbury street. It was moved to the south part of the village about 1824, where it did a small business till 1828. Another tannery was established about 1829 or 1830, by Luther Briggs, who continued it for many years, and sold it to Haven Brigham, by whom it was sold to Dana Spalding, who con- tinued the business until his death, in 1872. Another was built by John and Chauncey. Talcott about 1858, and is still doing an extensive business.


Eureka Smut and Separating Machine Works .- In the spring of 1853, Simeon Howes, of Wyoming Co., became interested with Benj. Rutter and Henry Rouzer, of Ohio, in the manufacture and sale of a combined smut and separating machine. During the remainder of that year, 50 machines were made and sold. In October, Rutter and Rouzer obtained a patent for their machine. In the spring of 1854, the patent was sold, through their agents, Mr. Howes and Gardner E. Throop, to Ezekiel Montgomery and his sons, Henry and E. Martin Montgomery, of Silver Creek, with the right to sell the machine in fifteen counties in Western New York. And they sold


412


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


to Alpheus Babcock the right in nine counties of Western Pennsylvania. Certain defects having been discovered in the machine, much of the year 1854 was spent in improving it, both by Howes and Throop, and by the Montgomerys and Babcock. Yet few machines were built in 1855.


In 1856, Mr. Howes removed to Silver Creek, and became associated with Messrs. Montgomery in the manufacture. During this year 40 machines were built ; the next, about 80; and they gave general satisfaction. In 1857, Mr. Howes sold his interest to his partners, who continued the business until January, 1866, having, in the meantime, built new shops and made about 1,000 machines.


In January, 1864, Norman Babcock joined his brother Alpheus, who had for several years, and to a limited extent, manufactured a machine different, in some respects, from that of Messrs. Montgomery. And in January, 1865, Mr. Howes became associated with the Babcocks, suggesting certain im- provements. These, with the previous changes made by the Babcocks, formed the basis of the Eureka as now built. During this year, 200 ma- chines were built and sold. In the fall of 1865, Albert Horton became a partner, without change of the firm name, [Howes, Babcock & Co.] The new firm then bought the entire interest of Messrs. Montgomery in their establishment for $20,000, the bargain to take effect the first of January, 1866. In the spring following, Horton sold his interest to Carlos Ewell, of Wyoming Co. In 1866, 400 machines were made ; in 1867, 700 ; and since that time from 1,000 to 1, 100 yearly. They are sent to all parts of the United States, including California and Oregon ; to Canada, and to South America. In 1868, a patent for Great Britain was granted, and an agency established in London, which demands about 200 machines a year.


At every fair in the United States where it has been exhibited, it has taken the first premium. At Manchester, England, in 1869, it took a gold medal, the only one granted that year. In 1873, at Vienna, in Austria, it was awarded the medal for progress, and was the only machine to which this medal was granted. During the year 1873, the proprietors erected new and commo- dious brick shops, costing $20,000. Their sales amount to from $150,000 to $175,000 a year ; and employment is given to from 65 to 70 men.


Bran Duster and Middlings Purifier Works .- The first bran duster of this kind was built in 1860, by Wm. W. Huntley and Simeon Howes, in the shop of E. Montgomery & Co., Silver Creek. Before a trial of the instrument had been made, Howes sold his entire interest to Montgomery & Co., who, in 1862, sold it to a party in Indiana. In the same year, Mr. Huntley began the construction of another one, and soon sold a half interest to Alpheus Babcock. The machine was completed, and a patent obtained in 1863. It was sold for $100 ; and three others were built that year by Huntley. In 1864, 16 were sold ; in 1865, 46. The sales continued to increase, until they numbered several hundred annually. In 1869, Huntley and Babcock greatly improved their machine ; and the improvements were patented in r870. Babcock now sold his interest to Frank L. Swift, who, in 1871, sold


413


HANOVER.


to Abel P. Holcomb. In 1872, Huntley & Holcomb began to construct the Excelsior Disintegrating Middlings Purifier, from plans invented and patented by them. In October, 1872, August Heine bought a third interest in the concern. In 1873, the firm bought another patent, the right of which had been contested by two claimants ; the company buying out both parties. Their shops were now crowded to their utmost capacity, without supplying the demand. In 1869, the first machine was shipped to England for trial, which proved entirely successful. Hundreds have since been sent to England, Ire- land, and Scotland, superseding those manufactured in those countries. Large numbers are also sent to Canada, and to the South American states. Dépôts have been established for their sale in California and Oregon. The manu- facture of the middlings purifier had hardly commenced before the comple- tion of their three-story shop and the requisite machinery, in February, 1873. To meet the demand, it was necessary to employ upwards of 40 men. The material consumed the first year, [1873,] was : Of lumber, about 100,000 feet ; castings, 40 tons ; wrought iron, 10 tons ; producing 340 machines, the sales of which amounted to $112,401.


FORESTVILLE.


Jehiel Moore, a native of Conn., and a son of Capt. Roger Moore, a soldier of the Revolution, was born Sept. 17, 1774. After a residence with his father at Butternuts, N. Y., and Salmon Creek, N. Y., he came to Chautauqua Co. In 1808, he opened a bush road from the Erie road to the falls of Walnut creek, at Forestville, and built the first saw-mill at that place, below the falls. In 1809, he removed his family in, and erected the first grist-mill in Forest- ville, and finished it the next spring. He is said to have built the first house in that village. He was captain of a company in the war of 1812. After the burning of Buffalo he became disheartened, and declared he would not live in a state that had so disgraced itself; and in February following, [1814,] he removed with his family to Hamilton Co., O., where he died Dec., 1817, aged 43. His wife died there before him. His children returned to this county in 1818. Four of them went to Cayuga county. He was a good officer, a brave man, and an excellent pioneer settler.


Jonathan L. Bartoo, from Sangerfield, N. Y., settled in Hanover, in 1814; having previously labored in Pomfret for several years as a mill-wright. He removed to Erie Co., where he died in 1852. His sons John and Augustus reside in Forestville ; Jesse, in Will Co., Illinois.


Samuel Swan is believed to have been the first blacksmith in Forestville. Daniel Barber, from Madison Co., was an early blacksmith, and built the brick house, now owned by Newton Smith. John Hurlbut, from Connecti- cut, came to Forestville in 1824. He was a blacksmith, and is said to have been also the first wagon-maker in the place. He died in 1863. His widow resides in the village. Their children are: Mary, wife of Norman B. Brown, merchant ; John F., Simon L., William, and Olive. All reside in town, except William, in Nevada.


414


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


Albert H. Camp, from Whitesboro', N. Y., came to Hanover as a merchant's clerk, in 1817, and commenced business on his own account at Forestville in 1820, and continued in business there between 30 and 40 years. During a part of this time he was, as elsewhere stated, associated with Wm. Colvill. He is said to have been previously, for a time, in partnership with Wm. Hol- brook, in the same business.


Benj. Eastwood settled at Forestville, and owned a part of the land on which the village stands. Mr. E. gave to the Baptists the lot on which their meeting-house stands.


Robert Morrison settled near Forestville in the year 1815. His sons were John, Adolphus F., Robert, Ransom S., Wilson, and Orrin. John, Adolphus and Orrin were merchants in Forestville for many years. Orrin built and kept a hotel in Forestville, which was subsequently owned by Elias Carring- ton, and was burned in 1873. Orrin is now in Alabama. Adolphus was, in 1843, a member of assembly. The first three above named are deceased.


John McClanathan was an early settler near Forestville. His son John B., who married a daughter of Nathan Mixer, resides at Fredonia. William McClanathan settled 3 m. south from Forestville. His son Corydon lives near the homestead. Samuel Vincent, son-in-law of William McClanathan, resides in Silver Creek. John and Wm. McC. are both deceased.


Rev. James Bennett, from Madison Co., was an early merchant and inn- keeper, and is said to have been the first ordained minister [Baptist] in For- estville. Rev. Benj. P. Hill settled early near Forestville, where he resided until his death. He was a Methodist, and itinerated for many years over the surrounding country. His son John also was a preacher, and died in Pennsylvania.


The first mills at Forestville, we are told, were built by Jehiel Moore ; a saw-mill in 1808, and a grist-mill in 1809 and 1810. Another informant says, Anderson built the saw-mill, having bought the grist-mill and farm of Moore ; then sold the property to Pope, who sold to Colvill.


A carding and cloth-dressing establishment was built about 1820, by Harvey Holbrook, son of Daniel, below Forestville, where is now a woolen factory, owned by Norton Brown.


Hanover claims the honor of having produced the largest tree in the county-perhaps the largest in the state. It was a black walnut, and stood a short distance west of the Fredonia road bridge across Walnut creek, which takes its name from this famed tree. This tree was 27 feet in circumference and 9 feet in diameter. It was very tall and straight ; and the lowest limb was 70 feet above the ground. It was blown down on the 22d of April, 1822. Being hollow at the butt, about 12 feet was cut off from the lower end, and the inside worked down and smoothed out, leaving a shell about 4 inches thick. While lying on the ground, a man, it is said, rode through it on horseback. It was raised on end, and used for some time as a grocery ; and on one occasion by a ladies' tea-party. An old settler says it was sold for $200 to Titus Roberts and - Stearns, who mounted it on a carriage


415


HANOVER.


fitted up for its transportation, and started on a tour of exhibition. The Erie canal having just been completed, they moved their curiosity toward the canal. On their arrival at Lockport, or some other point near that place, as our informant [now deceased] said, their expenses having exceeded their receipts, they abandoned their enterprise and returned. Another party, having got possession of the tree, took it to New York, and after a tolerably successful exhibition, disposed of it. It was taken to England, and put into a London museum, where it was destroyed by fire.


The Fredonia Censor, of Dec. 27, 1826, contains the following, taken from a New York paper :


" The proprietor of the new Museum in Chatham street, has engaged, for a short time, a most wonderful production of nature, the Big Black Walnut Tree from Lake Erie. This immense curiosity measures 31 feet in circum- ference, and is universally admitted to be the largest production of the vege- table world. The inside of this tree is hollowed out, and most splendidly fitted and furnished as a drawing room, and contains, with other ornaments, an orginal letter of Geo. Washington. There have been inside of this tree, at one time, 39 persons standing and 17 sitting. From this fact some idea can be formed of this giant of the forest."


A few weeks later, a New York paper says : " 'This great and most interest- ing curiosity will be exhibited for a few weeks longer. The number of visit- ors who have been seated in this tree, now amounts to nearly 10,000, among whom we had the pleasure of seeing his excellency, the Governor, and his lady, the late Chancellor Sanford, the Hon. Mayor and Recorder, and several of the corporation of the city; all of whom expressed their delight."


In 1828, the arrival of the "Big Walnut" in London was announced. The London Literary Gazette said : "A calculation has been made showing that this tree would contain, on shelves projecting not more than six inches, 3,000 volumes." A New York paper said, the Big Walnut was sold for $3,000, previously to its being taken to England. It had produced twice that sum during its exhibition. It was sold in London, July 10, 1828, 'to the proprie- tor of the British diorama.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.