History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 53
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 53
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
Judge Niram Sackett had 6 children : 1. Jehiel, who was born Sept. 15, 1825, and was married July 3, 1863, to Laura Sackett, by whom he had 2 children : Isabella, born April 16, 1864; and Marcus, born Sept. 21, 1865. 2. John J., born April 5, 1827, and married, June 10, 1858, to Henrietta Harrison. They had 2 children : Cora, born Sept. 10, 1859 ; and Sarah, born Aug. 12, 1862. Mrs. Sackett died Feb. 3, 1863 ; and Mr. S. married, Oct. 6, 1868, Jane Watts, of North-east,. Pa. They have a daughter, Ida T., born Nov. 20, 1873. 3. Joseph T., born March 4, 1829 ; married, Nov. 18, 1872, to Mrs. Sarah M. Canfield. He is a graduate of the Law School at Albany, and resides in Brooklyn. 4. Marcus, born Nov. 28, 1830 ; married, June 16, 1857, to Henrietta Seaman. They have a son, John S., born June
424
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
13, 1858. 5. Semantha, born Sept. 28, 1832 ; married, - Aug. 8, 1861, to Edward R. Stiles, Litchfield, Ill., and has 2 children : Charles S., born May 12, 1862 ; and Gertrude, born Feb. 9, 1864. 6. Niram, Jr., born June 29, 1835 ; married, Sept. 28, 1865, to Arvilla L. Bonney ; and has 2 children : Catharine A., born Aug. 7, 1867 ; and Niram B., born Nov. 12, 1872.
DANIEL SHERMAN, son of Daniel Sherman, was born in Busti, Nov. 29, 1821. His early education was acquired in the district schools of his native town ; it was pursued at Jamestown and Fredonia academies ; and his school course was closed with the expiration of a three years' course of study at Burr Seminary at Manchester, Vt. In 1844, he commenced the study of law with Abner Hazeltine and Emory F. Warren, of Jamestown, and was admit- ted to practice July 4, 1848, and commenced practice at Forestville, and has continued it there until the present time. He was elected district-attorney, and served for the constitutional term of three years. He was appointed by Gov. Clark attorney for the Indians, in which office he served under different administrations for twelve years, and tendered his resignation in 1868. In June, 1870, he was appointed, by the secretary of the interior, United States agent for the several tribes of Indians in the state of New York ; to which agency he was reappointed by the president, who had, by a law of Congress, become vested with the power of appointment ; which agency has been con- tinued till the present time. While attorney for the Seneca nation, he pros- ecuted an action in their favor, by which the boundary of the reservation was decided in the court of appeals to be in the center of the creek, instead of on the north line of the stream, where it had been decided to be by the lower courts in their interpretation of the treaties with the Indians. He also prosecuted an action in which the Indians acquired a title to the Oil Spring reservation, near Cuba, Allegany Co., the claim to which had been inadvertently omitted in the treaty of Big Tree, in 1798, between the Seneca nation and Robert Morris. By this omission the title had passed through Morris to the Holland Land Company and their grantees. In this case, also, the Indian title was confirmed by the court of appeals. He has been active in pro- moting the interests of education. He served for several years as town superintendent of schools. He participated in the successful effort to estab- lish the Free Academy in Forestville. He has been a member of the board of education, and most of the time its president. And he aided, by his pen and otherwise, in obtaining the passage of a law appropriating $125,000 annually for distribution among the academies of the state. Mr. Sherman was married, April 28, 1852, to Mary Colvill, daughter of Wm. Colvill, Jr., who was born Feb. 21, 1828. They had 5 children : Daniel ; Elizabeth, who died at 18 ; Mary, William, and Julia D.,
EBENEZER SLAWSON was born in Schenectady Co., Aug. 17, 1795, and removed from Yates Co. to Chautauqua in i822, and settled in Hanover, 2 miles west from Nashville, where he still resides. He was married in Penn Yan to Betsey Carr, in 1813. For several years he spent his winters in teach- ing school. He had 9 children, of whom 7 attained to the age of majority :
Daniel Sherman
ـيعية
425
HANOVER.
Silas N .; Sammuel; Melissa, wife of Roderick W. Rider, of Erie Co., Pa .; Eliza, who married John Bettis, of Hanover, and is deceased ; Daniel K .; Caroline, wife of Daniel Merritt, of Forestville; and John, who resides in Michigan., Mr. Slawson, after the death of his wife, married Lois Sprague, and had by her two children, Ebenezer and Lola.
SILAS NASH SLAWSON, son of Ebenezer Slawson, was born in Penn Yan, July 7, 1814, and removed with his father to Hanover in 1822. He was married, Feb. 10, 1836, to Temperance Lurancy, daughter of Nathaniel Hop per, of Hanover, who was born May 21, 1816. He settled near the residence of his father. He has held several town offices of responsibility, and has been for many years identified with the cause of education. In early life he spent a part of his time for many years in teaching, and has, until lately, been an active promoter of the cause of education. He held, during his resi- dence in Perrysburgh, the office of town superintendent of schools, and for the term of three years the office of county commissioner of schools. He was also for several years a teacher and a school examiner in the state of Pennsylvania. He has resided alternately in Hanover and Perrysburgh, being the owner of a farm in each of these towns. The children of Silas N. and Temperance were : 1. Newton, who married Rose Brown, of Michigan, and has a daughter, Minnie, and an infant son. He was for several years before his marriage a school teacher. He twice made application for enlist- ment in the late war, but was in both cases rejected on account of physical disability. Desirous to contribute to the suppression of the rebellion, he hired a substitute. He has been twice elected a justice of the peace, which office he now holds. 2. Temperance, who died in infancy. 3. Samuel E., a merchant in Perrysburgh.
RODNEY B. SMITH was born Feb. 5, 1799, in Whately, Hampden Co., Mass. His father was Isaac Smith ; and his mother's maiden name was Mor- ton. They had 9 children, of whom Rodney was the fourth. In 1802, they removed to Gorham, Ontario Co., N. Y., and in 1810 to Sheridan, and soon after to Hanover. The county was then almost an entire wilderness ; and the hardships of pioneer life were the lot of the family. His father was in the war of 1812, and shared in the memorable disaster at Buffalo. The forced march from Buffalo to his home induced a fever, which resulted in his death. The next year the mother died, leaving 9 children, the eldest, Henry B .. being but 18 years of age. Henry was soon after called into service, and being the only one capable of rendering assistance to the orphan children, Rodney, at the age of 15, volunteered to take his place, and was in the army at Chippewa, Black Rock, and Williamsville. At the age of 20 he married Achsah Blodgett ; and for 32 years they shared the fortunes of pioneer life, raising a family of 14 children-7 sons and 7 daughters. Twelve of them attained to manhood and womanhood. About the year 1824, Mr. Smith be- came a sub-contractor under Sheldon Thompson and Ira Bird, for the con- struction of the Black Rock dam in connection with the Erie canal, and sub- sequently for work on the canal, where he remained until its completion.
426
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
He returned to his late residence, now generally known as "Smith's Mills," and purchased of his elder brother a small mill and a farm, both of which he improved, and added to his business that of a distillery, tannery, and a store. These several branches of business he prosecuted with success for more than thirty years. In 1842, his eldest son Hiram became a co-part- ner ; and, under the firm name of R. B. Smith & Co., the business was conducted for 18 years, when, in 1861, the business having been for a few years financially unsuccessful, the partnership was dissolved.
GEORGE W. TEW was born in Rensselaerville, Albany Co., N. Y., April 15, 1804, and removed with his father's family to Otsego Co., in 1810. He received his education in the common school. In 1825, he came to James- town ; and having learned the tinner's trade, he commenced business there, and continued it till 1829. He then commenced the study of law with Sam- uel A. Brown, and was admitted to practice in the fall of 1831, and imme- diately commenced practice in partnership with Mr. Brown. In 1834, he was elected county clerk, and was reelected in 1837 for the second term. In the spring of 1841, being chosen cashier of the Bank of Silver Creek, he removed to that place ; and in 18-, he became president of that institution, which position he has held till the present time. Mr. Tew was married, May 25, 1825, to Mary D. Alger, in Otsego Co., and had 4 children, one of whom died in childhood. Mr. Tew married, second, June 4, 1840, Mrs. Caroline Reynolds, who had 3 children. Of the six children living, are four daughters and two sons, George W., Jr., and William ; both of whom reside in James- town, and have been cashiers of the Second National Bank in that place.
NATHAN P. TURNER, a native of Rhode Island, removed with his father's family to Connecticut, and thence to Herkimer Co., N. Y. In 1826, he commenced working in a cotton factory, in which business he continued for 12 years, having become its superintendent. In 1837, he settled in Han- over, 212 miles south from Forestville, and cleared a farm ; which he sold, and settled where he now resides, 112 miles east from Forestville. He served as a deputy under Sheriff Andrews. He has 3 daughters, who are the wives, respectively, of Reuben B. Parmelee, Forestville ; of Orren Cran- ston ; and [Effa] of Wesley Ball, Villenova.
DAVID WEBB came with his father from Madison Co., in 1818, and settled about one mile south from Nashville, and has since resided in this town, most of the time in Forestville, where he now resides, and where he formerly carried on the tinning and stove business. He married Sarah Thrall, who died April 29, 1874. A daughter, Lydia F., is the wife of Albert W. Hull, a lawyer, in Forestville. Andrew J., a son, is a merchant in Forestville ; John M. resides in Michigan; William, in Forestville ; Sarah A., wife of Milton A. Potter, in Iowa ; Mary J., wife of John Rollins, Texas.
CHURCHES AND OTHER ASSOCIATIONS.
The First Baptist Church of Hanover .- The records of this church prior to 1833 being lost, the date of its formation can not be given with certainty.
427
HANOVER.
According to the recollections of some of its earliest members or surviving friends, it was organized, in 1811, by Rev. Joy Handy, who is spoken of as its "founder." It is designated, "The First Hanover Baptist Church, Nash- ville." Its constituent members were : Dea. Joseph Brownell and Rebecca, his wife ; Dea. Salmon Munger and Charlotte, his wife ; Uriah Nash and Ada, his wife ; John Huntley and Polly, his wife ; James B. Knapp, Darius Sayles, and Anna Morehouse. Of these, Mrs. Munger is believed to be the only survivor. The church was supplied by Rev. Joy Handy and several other ministers until the spring of 1817. Among the members was Rev. Jonathan Wilson, then a missionary in this region, who died at the age of 90, at the residence of his son, in Gerty. Rev. Elnathan Finch, who came in with his family, household goods, and an ox-team and sled, in February, 1817, and became pastor of this church until 1827. After several temporary supplies, Rev. Elisha Gill became pastor, and was succeeded, in 1836, by Rev. James Bennett, who continued until October, 1839. For a short time, the church had no stated preaching, after which they were supplied by licentiates, most of the time, for several years. In February, 1848, Wm. Williams, a licentiate, was called, and, in October, was ordained pastor, and continued until April, 1850. After a few months' supply by Rev. John Carter, he was succeeded by Rev. J. C. Allison, until February, 1851 ; and he by Rev. E. M. Nye, till February, 1854. In August, 1854, Mr. Allison returned, and remained until 1856. Their successors to the present time have been H. H. Herrick, E. M. Nye, (second time ;) J. C. Allison, (third time ;) F. E. Miller, H. H. Herrick, (second time ;) T. T. Horton. He closed his pastorate of five years, preaching every alternate sabbath, in May, 1872 ; when he was suc- ceeded by Rev. D. E. Burt. Their first house of worship was built in 1851, . and has since been several times repaired. Their church clerks have been : Miles Webster, James Knapp, Nathaniel Hopper, Silas N. Slawson, A. Vin- ton, John S. Bettis. Deacons: Joseph Brownell, Samuel Munger, Silas Nash, Samuel Taylor, Nathaniel Hopper, Nelson Wheaton, Caleb Roberts.
The Second Baptist Church of Hanover was organized in 1817. The first meeting for this purpose on record, was held at the house of James Bennett, in Forestville, Nov. 15, 1817. Articles of Faith and Church Covenant were adopted, and signed by twenty-nine persons : Christopher McManus, Pru- dence McManus, Clement Strang, Abigail Strang, Asher Cooley, Polly Coo- ley, Samuel S. Burdick, Dorothy Burdick, Martin B. Tubbs, Laura Tubbs, Betsey Waterhouse, Anna Holbrook, Abigail Snow, Daniel Farnham, Wm. Heaton, Loana Russell, James Bennett, Hannah Ellis, Tabitha Alden, Joseph Devine, Lucinda Pierce, Samson Trask, Lorena Morrison, Hannah Danley, Loana Griswold, Barbara Lewis, Elijah Devine, Nathan Mixer, Rhoda Mixer, Elnathan Ellis. Of these persons, only Clement Strang, now of Sherman, is living. At a meeting held the 29th of November, it was voted to call a council to meet on the 13th of December, 1817. The council met at the school-house at Walnut Creek, pursuant to appointment, and the church was received into fellowship as a sister church. In January following, Jam e
428
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
.
Bennett and Martin B. Tubbs were elected deacons. In May following, a letter was granted to brother Samuel S. Burdick, "allowing him to improve his talent in exhortation ;" and it was "voted to pay him $52 per year for his services, to be raised by subscription." His services were continued only a few months. Bro. James Bennett, ordained April 19, 1820, was the first ordained minister of the church. He engaged to preach for $50 a year. This sum could not be raised in money after the first year ; and he " agreed to supply the desk, and receive such donations as the members could give." About the year 1831, the church became divided ; but, happily, after nearly three years' sep- aration, the two branches, on the 4th of February, 1834, were united under the name of the Forestville Baptist Church. For the want of space, only the ministers whose terms of service exceeded 2 years, are mentioned . James Bennett, (9 years, 6 mo. ; ) P. S. Richards, Isaac L. Brown, Joel Johnson, Judah L. Richmond, N. Wood, William Look, Chauncey Wardner, S. N. Westcott, Emerson Mills, (second time,) present pastor, [1875.] Ministers' salaries were for many years, $50. In 1836, perhaps earlier, $300 was paid and parsonage ; from 1855, $400; from 1860, $600; from 1869, $800; from 1872, present pastor, $1,200. The use of parsonage has been given since 1831. The present salary does honor to the church. Of the church clerks, the names of only the first three and the last three are given: James Bennett, Nathan Mixer, and Joseph Dennison; John A. Mixer, Sylvester Stilwell, Julius A. Parsons. The first church edifice was destroyed by fire, Sept. 4, 1859. A new house was built of brick, on the same site, and was dedicated February 13, 1861. Dedicatory sermon by the Rev. Emerson Mills.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Silver Creek .- A class was formed about 1819, consisting of seven members, whose names, as given from recollec -. tion, are as follows : Liscom Mixer, Norman Spink, and their wives, and Artemas R. Clothier. Soon after the organization, were added, Giles Eggles- ton and Esther, James Wesley, and Katharine, his wife, Emily Nevins, Leon- ard McDaniels, and others. Among the early preachers were Rev. Mr. Hill, Gleason Fillmore, afterwards N. Norton, Samuel Sullivan, Thomas Cummings, John Robinson. Later. preachers were E. H. Yingleng, Wm. P. Bignell, George W. Gray, Wm. H. Wilson ; present pastor, James M. Bray. The church edifice was completed in 1848, and was improved in 1874.
Presbyterian Church at Silver Creek .- The society connected with this church was formed pursuant to the " act of the legislature to provide for the incorporation of religious societies," the 8th of December, 1831, at Silver Creek. The society was entitled, "The Trustees and Associates of the First Congregational Society of Silver Creek." The trustees elected were James Brace, Ephraim Hall, John Reid, David Anderson, Daniel Rumsey, and Wm. Hall. In the absence of a minister, Daniel Rumsey and David Ander- son, elders, presided at the meeting, and Wm. Hall was chosen clerk.
The church was organized, probably, at or near the time of the formation of the society, but in the absence of the early records, the precise date can not
429
HARMONY.
be stated. Among the members constituting the church at its organization, were Dr. Daniel Rumsey, David Anderson, James Brace, Ephraim Hall, Mrs. Daniel Rumsey, and Mrs. Asa Gage. Also, at or about the same time, Benj. Hiller and family ; and soon after, Loren Chapin and wife, Asa Gage, Mrs. Wm. D. Talcott, and John Montgomery. The first minister is believed to have been Rev. Abial Parmele; and since then, Obadiah C. Beardsley, William Waith, John Lilly, F. W. Flint, Albert Bigelow, and - Burghart. In 1834, a small, plain meeting-house was built on the west side of Main street, a few rods south of the park. The present edifice was built in 1841.
Hanover Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was instituted at Forestville February 5, 1824. The meeting was held at the school-house near Eber Ferry's, and opened on the first degree of masonry. The charter members were : Luther Thwing, W. M .; Ezra Puffer, S. W .; Seth Snow, J. W .; Albert H. Camp, Sec'y ; Warren Griswold, Treas .; who were also the first officers ; Richard Smith, Ephraim Judson, Wm. Jones, Elijah Robinson. At the in- stallation of the officers by the grand lodge, the record shows that, in the . bills of expenses for the entertainment, the charge for liquor for gentlemen was $2.8772; for ladies, $3.8712. This lodge was discontinued in 1828, as were many others, within a few years after the abduction of Morgan.
In December, 1849, this lodge was rechartered. Its first officers were : Albert H. Camp, W. M .; Daniel B. Parsons, S. W .; Wm. Colvill, J. W .; Rodney B. Smith, Treas. pro tem .; Isaac Boss, Sec'y; Marshall Cass, S. D .; Charles Brown, J. D .; Elisha Robinson, Tyler.
-
HARMONY.
HARMONY was taken from Chautauqua, Feb. 14, 1816. A part of Busti was taken off in 1823. Yet it contains a much greater area of land than any other town in the county. It comprises townships 1 and 2 of range 13, to- gether with two tiers of lots in townships 1 and 2, range 12, from Pennsyl- vania line to Chautauqua lake, and two additional lots in township 2 in the 12th range, south of the lake, including the village of Ashville. It contains about 86 square miles of territory, or 54,918 acres. Its surface is described as "a moderately hilly upland, the highest summits being about 900 feet above Lake Erie." Its principal streams are Broken Straw creek, flowing south into Pennsylvania ; Goose creek, flowing into the lake, passing through Ashville ; and Prendergast's creek, running northerly and easterly into the lake. The soil is clay, yellow and gravelly loam. Panama; the largest vil- lage in the town, is in the north-west part of township 1, on the Little Broken Straw creek, and had, in 1870, a population of 650. Blockville, in lot 8, the north-east corner lot in the same township, had 200 inhabitants. Ashville, [Harmony P. O.,] lying within lots 43 and 44, of tp. 2, r. 12, had 350 inhabitants. Stedman is a post-office near the north line of the town.
.
430
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Original Purchases in Harmony .- Township 1, Range 13.
18II. February, Israel Carpenter, 8.
1813. June, Joseph S. Pember, 16.
1816. February, Isaac Carpenter, 47. June, Elijah Terry, 7. December, Zaccheu's Hurlbut, 7.
1817. April, Clark C. Carpenter, 31. October, Joel Powers, 16.
1818. July, Robert Lytle, 38. October, Nathaniel Hurlbut, 7. Nov., Joseph Wing, 32.
1820 or 1821. March, Samuel Tanner, 40.
1821. October, William Webber, Jr., 6. Nov., Eleazar Daniels, 39.
1822. March, Calvin Manley, 40. Eleazar Wiltse, 48. July, Calvin Burt, 38. Amos Tanner, 31.
1823. February, Cyrenus Glass, 23. David Tierce, 23. August, David Preston, 15. October, Elihu Carpenter, 28. December, Almon Lewis, 15.
1824. June, John Covey, 56. August, Samuel L. Paddock, 55. Nov., James Sweet, 55. December, Wm. C. Stedman, 20.
1825. March, Nathan Eggleston, Jr., 56. June, Oliver Pier, 10. Sept., Eliphalet Hyde, 56. Cyrus Ransom, 37. October, Cyrenus Glass, 41. Robert Lytle, 34. November, Eli Wellman, 54. John Miller and Jona- than Tillotson, 26. Hiram Cook, 54. December, George Hawkins, 50. Elisha Cook, 51.
1827. January, Eleazar Daniels, 39. March, Stephen Cook, 32. May, John S. Muzzy, 34. June, Rufus Button, 31. Judson Hurlbut, 45. Cyrus Ransom, 35. Asa Tillotson, 26. John S. Muzzy, 33. September, Benj. Smith, 39. Orrin Matthews, 39. Samuel P. Butler, 42. Joshua Rich, Jr., 57. Nathan B. Rich, 42.
1828. September, Daniel Hurlbut, 41. October, Jeremiah Wooden, 9.
1829. February, Ezra Abbott, 43. March, Abel Matteson, 6. June, Alvin Butler, 38.
1830. November, Amos Tanner, 20. Solomon Tanner, 50.
Township 2, Range 13.
1810. June, Martin Prendergast, 6.
18II. May, Levi Pier, 17. October, Estys Matteson, 30.
1815. September, Thomas Bemus, 14. October, Wm. Hunt, 32.
1816. February, Oliver Pier, 2. Thomas Bemus, 22.
1817. June, Willard Rice, 14. September, Edward Wade, Jr., 30.
1818. October, Reuben Ellis, 39.
1819. May, Dwight Rice, 13.
1821. May, Thomas Wiltse, 49. October, Noah Knapp, 41. Nathaniel Sessions, 50. Calvin Manley, 41. Stephen Ford, 56. David Jackson, 21. November, Jehu Knapp, 49. John Jackson, 21.
1822. March, Samuel P. Durham, 56. Peleg Cornwell, 49.
1823. March, Wm. Webber, Jr., 42. June, Joel Fisher, 12. July, Elias Williams, 37. December, Simeon Powers, 33.
1824. February, Isaiah Rexford, 34. Sept., Earl Bill Thompson, 58.
1825. February, Joel Fisher, 11. September, Sidney S. Ford, 57. .
1826. Phineas Stevens, 25. June, Humphrey Richardson, 43 or 44. July, Charles Saxton, 4 or 5. September, Orrin Richardson, 36. John Leach, 19. Oct., Edmund Wells, 6 or 7. Nov., George W. Wescott, 27.
1827. February, Horace Rice, 13. Thomas Bemus, 15. March, George Bates, 61. John Morton, 15. April, Benj. T. Holbrook, 27. James Brooks
1
Strobridge & Co Inth. Cin 0.
Measily M. Aree
431
HARMONY.
and Edmund Williams, 53. May, Silas M. Chipman, 57. Jeremiah Steeves, 5. June, David Jackson, 13 or 21. John Whitehead, 2. Micajah Green, 29. October, Eliphalet Collins, 63. December, Archibald Ludington, 21. Reuben Rowley, Jr., 19.
1828. March, Jonas Cosselman, 28. Calvin Manley, Nathaniel Sessions, and others, 18. Abner Fisher, 27. October, Cyrus Messenger, 64. Nov., Orange Whitney, 64.
1829. April, Alexander Williams, 45.
1830. January, Isaac L. Steeves, 5. November, Florence Wade, 31.
1831. February, Calvin Manley, 26. Oliver Pier, 10. June, Peter Acker, .
9 or 10. Heman S. Matteson, 26. Lewis Eddy, 31.
Township I, Range 12.
1808. July, Josiah Carpenter, 55, 56, 64.
1815. July, Ford Wellman, 47.
1816. April, Horace Terry, 63.
1817.
John Hurlbut, 63. Timothy Jenner, 63.
1819.
February, Timothy Jenner, 63. John Hosier, 63.
1823. December, Silas Carpenter, 54. Isaac Foster, 54.
1825. October, Reuben Benedict, 63. November, Truman Terry, 62.
December, Heman S. Matteson, 62. Josiah Carpenter, 61.
1826. December, Amos Hoag, 53.
Township 2, Range 12.
1809. Oct., John Phelps, 44. Wm. Smith and Reuben Slayton, Jr., 43.
1810. March, Reuben Slayton, Jr., 44. Thomas Matteson, 52.
1811. Aug., Patrick Harmon, 46. Theron Bly, 44 or 45.
1818. March, Alvin May, 50. November, Daniel B. Carpenter, 45, 48.
1820. March, Joseph S. Pember, 49.
1823. February, Reuben Slayton, Jr., 43. George L. Case, 50.
1824. July, John Alexander, Jr., 50.
1825. March, Reuben B. Johnson, 49. April, Roswell Parmenter, 46.
Hiram Benedict, 46. Solon Pierce, Jr., 46.
1827. May, Hugh Alexander, 49. Joseph L. DeCamp, 49.
1828. June, Daniel Cheney, 52.
1829. December, Peter L. Phelps, 48.
The earliest settlements in the town of Harmony, were made in that part of it which lies in the 12th range. The first settlement in this town is said, in the State Gazetteer, to have been made by Reuben Slayton, from Otsego Co., in 1806, on lot 43; Daniel B. Carpenter, the same year, on lot 64 ; Jonathan Cheney, on lot 52, in 1807; Theron Bly, from Otsego Co., on lot 44, and Wm. Matteson on lot 52, both in 1811 ; and James Carpenter on lot 56, in 1816. This statement is not only very indefinite, but in nearly every particular incorrect. There are in Harmony three lots with each of the numbers 43, 44, 52, 56, and 64, namely: one in each of the two entire town- ships in range 13, and one in the strip from range 12. The dates of settle- ment, above mentioned, are believed to be misstated in the case of every person named, except one.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.