History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 54
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 54
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
The following statements, recently obtained from early settlers, and mainly corroborated by the Land Company's records, are believed to be correct.
432
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Thos. Bemus was the first settler in the town of Harmony, in the north-east part of the town, on land taken up in January, 1806, by his father, William Bemus, who settled at Bemus Point, in Ellery, about that time. The lot on which Thomas settled is lot 54, tp. 2, r. 12, on the opposite side of the lake from Bemus Point. Jonathan Cheney, in May, 1806, bought on the east side of the lake lot 13, tp. 3, r. 13, [Chautauqua,] and the next year brought in his family; but, choosing not to settle there, he proceeded down the lake, and located on the west side, on lot 52, tp. 2, r. 12, now in the north-east part of Harmony, near the lake, on which lot his sons, Alfred and Calvin, and his grandson, Alfred C. Green, now reside. The County Gazetteer and Directory dates the settlement in 1806; but Nathan Cheney, the eldest son, gives it as here stated. His was probably the first family in the town, as Thomas Bemus, being unmarried, occupied his cabin alone for several years. Myron Bly, from Otsego Co., in 1809, settled on lot 47, tp. 2, r. 12, about 1 1/2 m. northerly from Ashville, the land entered by his father, Asa Bly. His son, Myron Bly, Jr., resides in Ashville. Reuben Slayton, Jr., from Otsego Co., bought, in 1809, on lot 43, where Ashville now is, and came in 1810 with Archibald Ludington. [Since this was written, the writer was informed by a daughter of Mr. Slayton, that Thomas Slayton and wife emigrated from Springfield, Otsego Co., and settled at Ashville, in Harmony, in 1809, in the winter. He there joined his brother Reuben, who had settled there the year before. Shortly after his arrival, Thomas died ; and the wife of Reuben sub- sequently died ; and Reuben and the widow of Thomas intermarried. The Slaytons built mills ; and Ashville was then known as "Slayton's Mills." This statement is not given as unquestionable, but as being entitled to an ordinary share of confidence.] In 1810, came Thomas Matteson ; also Wm. Matteson, Jr., and his brother Estys, who were followed in 1811 by their father, Wm. Matteson, Sr., who died in 1858, in his 99th year. He was the last surviving Revolutionary pensioner in this county; having served, when quite young, during the last two years of the war. His son Victor M., and daughter Mehetabel, widow of Isaac Carpenter, are the only surviving chil- dren living in this county. James Carpenter, as will be seen hereafter, came seven years earlier than the year stated in the Gazetteer.
Josiah Carpenter, from Pittstown, Rensselaer Co., in 1808, bought about 1,000 acres : lots 55, 56, 64, in tp. 1, r. 12, lying from 1 to 2 miles south-west- erly from Ashville, and returned to Washington Co. James, a son, in 1809, settled on lot 56 ; and in 1811, his father and the four other sons, Daniel B., Isaac, Josiah, Jr., and Timothy, came. The father settled permanently on lot 64; the sons on other portions of the tract. Of the sons, Josiah and Timothy are still living. He had 7 daughters, of whom 6 were married, respectively, to Israel Carpenter, Orange Phelps, Gilbert Ward, Oliver Pier, Samuel Green, and Henry Hosier ; and Mary, unmarried. Mrs. Green, Mrs. Pier, and Mrs. Hosier are yet living. Oliver Pier lives near Corry, Pa .; Samuel Green, at Blockville. The other sons-in-law are dead.
An incident in the pioneer life of James Carpenter is related in substance,
433
HARMONY.
as follows : When, in 1808, he came with his young wife to commence im- provements on his father's purchase on Goose creek, he occupied, for a time, the cabin of Thomas Bemus, (then yet unmarried,) on the west side of the " Narrows," where his first child was born, and where he raised a small crop of corn ; in which time he built a cabin on his father's land, on a site desig- nated by him, and to which he removed the following autumn. Having sold one of his oxen, his live stock consisted of one ox and a sow and her pigs. A January thaw raised Goose creek to overflowing ; the flats were inundated; and the house with its inmates surrounded by water. The ox made his escape from the threatening flood. After the water had reached the cabin, Carpenter, by the use of wood, raised himself, his wife and child, with the sow and pigs, high enough to keep dry. Unable to provide themselves with fire, the family and live stock were compelled to subsist on raw corn until the subsidence of the water enabled him to reach Jonathan Cheney's for aid, where he found his ox. A pen was made for his swine, which the bears took, one by one, to the last.
In the east part of the town, besides the persons mentioned, many settled early in the vicinity of Blockville. Zaccheus Hurlbut on lot 64, bought in 1816, and his brother Samuel about the same time ; and on lot 7, Nathaniel, son of Zaccheus, father and son both dead. Nathaniel's widow and son Elias and two daughters live in town. Samuel's sons, Chauncey, Hosea, and Edson, live in town. Timothy Jenner, from Vermont, on lot 63, tp. 1, r. 12, parts of which he bought in 1817 and 1819. His sons, Moses, who removed to the West, and Timothy G., who settled near Blockville, as also the father, are dead. Daniel Loomis, a Methodist local preacher, settled 172 miles west of Ashville, where his widow and sons Eli and Francis reside. Levi, another son, is in town ; David is gone West ; George is in the law school in Albany. A daughter, Rhoda, is the widow of Wm. Farrand, who was killed at the battle of Vicksburg ; another is the wife of Orrin Salisbury, and resides in this town. Wm. Scofield, a brother of Mrs. Daniel Loomis, set- tled early on an adjoining lot, and still resides there. John Deming, an early settler in Busti, removed to this town, lot 41 ; thence to Ashville, and afterwards bought a farm 2 miles south of Ashville, where he died about 1868, and where his son Leander C. resides, who has a saw-mill in opera- tion. Another son, George, resides in Pa. Wanton Morey, from Vermont, settled on lot 62, where lately his son Lorenzo lived, who is now a merchant at Watts Flats. Levi Rexford, brother of Isaiah, settled one mile south of Blockville, and removed to Clymer ; died in Harmony in April, 1875. John H. Matteson settled on lot 62, near where his son Elisha resides. Joseph Ticknor, from Tompkins Co., settled early about 212 miles north-west from Blockville, where he died two or three years ago. His sons, Joseph N., Hiram, and Luther B., are residents of the town.
In the south-east part, Charles and Isaac Hoag, from Onondaga Co., sons of Amos Hoag, settled on lot 53, tp. 1, r. 12 ; on parts of which John and Sanford, sons of Charles, reside. Isaac is in Penn. ; Charles, deceased. 28
434
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Elijah B. Burt, who settled in Busti, on lot 37, in 1824, removed to Har- mony, where he now lives, on lot 51, tp. 1, r. 12. His sons, Ethan and Bar- rett E., live in town ; a daughter is the wife of Leander C. Deming. About 1837, William D., Philander, and Murray Wellman, sons of Ford Wellman, of Busti, settled in Harmony, on lots 51 and 52. William D. resides on lot 50 ; Murray is not living. Emanuel Smith, about the year 1822, settled in Busti, and about 1830 in this town, lot 49, near where his son Cyrus lives. John Badgley, who also settled first in Busti, bought in lots 57 and 58 in Harmony, where he and his sons Asa and Nathan now reside.
In the north-east part, Obadiah Morley settled about 1810, where his son Venus lives. John Morton, from Onondaga Co., settled about 1818 on lot 15, tp. 2, I. 13, where his son Ransom lives. Edmund Wells, from Wash- ington Co., settled on lot 7, bought in 1826 ; and is said to be the only early settler living on the road, between Mayville and Jamestown, on this side of the lake. His son John lives on a part of the lot ; George on the homestead with his father. Chas. Saxton settled on lot 4, bought in 1826 ; now resides on lot 13. He has several sons, none of whom, it is believed, reside in the town. Edwin Gleason, from Mass., about 1826, settled on lot 14, where his son Edwin resides. The father was a deacon of the Baptist church. Clin- ton Marcy, from Allegany Co., about 1822, settled on lot 22, the farm now owned by his son Hiram, who resides on lot 39; J. Madison, another son, on lot 15. The father was formerly a justice. Hiram is a present justice. Peleg Gifford, from Washington Co., about 1844, settled on lot 23. His sons are Holder, who lives with his father ; George, in Jamestown ; Edward, near his father ; and Henry.
In the north and north-west part of the town, Homer Pringle, from Otsego Co., settled about 1826, on lot 32, on the north line of the town, where he and his sons Henry and Homer, Jr., reside. The sons own a cheese factory. Orson Whitford, from Saratoga Co. to Bradford Co., Pa., removed to this town, about 1817 or 1818, and resided successively in the north-east and north-west parts of the town ; now lives in Ashville. His sons LeRoy and Solomon reside in the town. Samuel P. Durham settled on lot 56, bought in 1822, and subsequently became the owner of part of lot 48. James and Peter Ploss, about 1830, settled in the north-west part of the town, where several of their descendants and relatives reside.
In the vicinity of Panama, in the west part of the town, Eleazar Daniels settled 34 mile south of Panama, on lot 39, bought in 1821, now owned by Erastus Steeves. His sons, Lyman, William, and Warren, reside in the town ; Jarvis, a physician, in French Creek. George, another son, died in French Creek. Samuel L. Paddock, from Herkimer Co., settled on lot 55, where Wm. G. Cook lives: His son, Samuel L., resides in Panama. Thomas Wiltse settled on lot 49, tp. 2, on the center road, in 1821, where his son Thomas resides ; and David, his brother, soon after, on land adjoining. The same year, Eleazar settled on lot 48, tp. 1, near the village, where he still resides ; and John, where Benjamin Parker lives. Reuben F. Randolph, from
435
HARMONY.
Orange Co., settled about 1842, near the center line on lot 25, bought of Phineas Stevens. His sons are James, Thaddeus, and Reuben F., Jr., a Metho- dist minister. His daughters are Caroline, wife of Edward Southland, mer- chant, Jamestown ; Ellen, wife of John R. Ransom, Toledo, O .; and Louisa. Amos Tanner, in 1822, bought lot 31, and built on it, and sold to Rufus Button, and settled on lot 32, where his son Milo resides. Rufus Button settled on lot 31, bought in 1827, and about the same time his brother Elijah on a part of the same lot, the lands of both now owned by Charles Tanner. Joseph Button, on lot 30, where his sons Alvin, Lucius, and Joseph F. reside ; Joseph F. on the homestead. Osmand, another son, removed to the West. The children of Alvin are Francis, Franklin, Henry, Emily, Aurelia, and Maria ; all living in town. Sons of Lucius are Levi, removed West ; and Joseph who died in the late war, at the taking of Fort Fisher. Stephen Cook, and his brothers William G. and Elisha, from Onondaga Co .. came in 1827. Stephen settled first on lot 32, tp. I, and afterwards on lot 51, where his son Orlando resides, in the south-west part of the town. The father resides in Panama. William G. Cook bought a part of lot 51, and afterwards, in 1838, removed to where he now resides, a mile west of Panama. Before he came to settle on the land he first bought, he was deprived of his right arm by a threshing machine. With one arm he per- formed the various kinds of labor, as chopping, logging, splitting rails, and other farm work, with the same expedition and apparent ease as any of his neighbors. Besides chopping for himself, he is said to have chopped by the acre for others. His son Lyman lives with him on the farm. Elisha settled half a mile east of the village, where he still resides.
Jehu Knapp settled, in 1821, on lot 49, tp. 2, where he died. His son Noah, the same year, on lot 41, adjoining 49. Of his 6 sons, five came to the county. Noah, Darius, and Levi settled in this town, and are dead ; Orrin removed to the West; and Cyrus was killed by a fall from a tree. Robert Lytle and Elihu Wing settled early near Panama, and some of their descendants still reside in town. Lytle took a part of lot 38, in tp. I, in 1818; Wing does not appear among the original purchasers. Joseph Wing purchased in lot 32, a short distance east from the village, in 1818.
In the south-west part of the town, in tp. I, Ebenezer G. Cook, a native of Oneida Co., came with his family in 1823, settled on lot 50, cleared the farm, and in 1867 removed to Panama, where he now resides. He had 11 children, of whom ten attained to majority : Philander and DeForest, in Panama : Edwin and Henry, farmers in town; Mary, wife of Harrison King, merchant, at Corry, Pa. ; Cornelia, wife of Ira T. Beecher, North-east, Pa. ; Eliza and Margaret, unmarried. Elihu G. Cook, brother of Ebenezer, resided many years in town. He was a graduate of a medical college in Cleveland, and has been a practicing physician in Fredonia, Randolph, and Buffalo, where he is at present.
George Hawkins, from Oneida Co., came in 1822 or 1823, and settled permanently on lot 50, which he bought in 1825, where he now resides. Of
436
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
his 5 sons, George, James, and Francis are farmers in Harmony ; Orrin, in Illinois ; Albert B., druggist, Panama. His daughters were : Emeline, wife of James Harter; Adelia R., wife of DeForest Cook. Nathan Hawkins and Marvin Pardee, a few years later, settled on lot 51, near George Hawkins. These three are said to be the only early settlers at present in this part of the town.
Joshua Rich, a Methodist local preacher, settled on lot 57, where his son Reuben L. resides. Cyrus Ransom, on lot 37, in 1825, where he died. His sons, Cyrus, Samuel, Willard, and Asa, live on the Broken Straw creek ; Eli- sha, in the West ; and Thomas, deceased. Ezra Abbott, in 1829, on lot 43, now owned by Frank Sowers. Mr. Abbot resides in Panama.
In the south part of the town, Francis W. Mather settled on lot 17, on the Little Broken Straw creek, near the south line of the town, and resides there still. Amos W. Muzzy, about 1830, settled on lot 34, previously taken up by John S. Muzzy. His wife is said to have. ridden "to meeting " at Panama on the back of an ox, led by her husband. Mr. Muzzy was sheriff of this county ; removed to the West, where he died.
In the central part of township 2, George W. Westcott bought, in 1826, lot 27, on which he first settled ; removed to lot 28, where he died. His sons Jerry and Abraham settled on lot 28; the latter now resides near Blockville. Benjamin T. Holbrook settled on lot 27, bought in April, 1827, where he died, and where his sons John and Henry reside. Benjamin T., Jr., resides on lot 29.
The first town-meeting for the election of town-officers, was held in 1816, of which, however, we find no record. The proceedings of the board of supervisors in October of that year, show that the town was represented by Palmer Phillips. A part of the present town of Busti was then, and con- tinued to be, until 1823, a part of Harmony.
The annual town-meeting was held at Eleazar Fletcher's, April 1, 1817, when the following officers were elected :
Supervisor-Palmer Phillips. Town Clerk-Orange Phelps. Assessors- Wm. Matteson, Daniel B. Carpenter, Joseph S. Pember. Com'rs of High- ways-Palmer Phillips, Wm. Matteson, Daniel B. Carpenter. Com'rs of Schools-Palmer Phillips, Joseph S. Pember, Orange Phelps. Collector- Wm. Matteson, Jr. Constables-Noah Chapman, Wm. Matteson, Jr. Over- seers of Poor-Obadiah Morley, Israel Carpenter. Poundmasters-Wm. Mat- teson, Israel Carpenter, Josiah Palmeter. Fence Viewers-Thomas Bemus, Nicholas Webber, Timothy Jenner. Sealer-Jonas Lamphear.
Town-meetings for several years hereafter, until 1824, were held at the tavern of James McClellan, in Ashville, McClellan being town clerk. In 1825, the town-meeting in Harmony as it now is, was held at the house of Samuel Hurlbut ; Abner Lewis, town clerk.
Supervisors from 1816 to 1875.
Palmer Phillips, 1816, '17, 1819 to '23-7 years. Reuben Slayton, 1824. Theron Bly, 1825 to '31, '33, '34, '37, '38-11 years. Henry Hill, 1832.
437
HARMONY.
Zael Ward, 1835, '36. Robert Hewes, 1839, '40. Daniel Williams, 1841, '42. John Steward, 1843 to '47, 1850 to "52, '54, '62-10 years. Theron S. Bly, 1848, '49. Morris Norton, 1853. Albert Gleason, 1855. Ebenezer G. Cook, 1856, '57. Sardius Steward, 1858 to '60. Reuben F. Randolph, 1861. Walter L. Sessions, 1863, '64. Loren B. Sessions, 1865 to '70, '73, 74, '75-9 years. Frank G. Steward, 1871, '72.
The first saw-mill in this town was built by Reuben Slayton, Jr., in Asb- ville, who was an original purchaser on lot 43, tp. 2, r. 12, in 1809. The; mill was built in 1811, to which a grist-mill was soon after added. The mills: were on the site of the present mills in Ashville. The first stones used in' the grist-mill he borrowed at the inlet at the head of the lake. A rock was soon found on lot 45, from which a pair of stones were made, which were used until 1872, about sixty years. His father, Reuben, Sr., who came with his son, returned to Otsego Co., with the intention of removing his family to Chautauqua, but died soon after his return. Israel Carpenter, with Oliver Pier and Stephen Groom, built, about the year 1820, a saw-mill and a grist- mill at Blockville, which, under different firms, with Mr. Carpenter as a pro- prietor, was continued until his death, a few years ago, when the property passed to his son Reuben, and is now owned by Thomas Hamilton. A saw- mill was built about 1826 at Panama Rocks, by Jesse Smith and Horatio Dix. A mill is still in operation on the site. A grist-mill was soon after built at the same place, where a grist-mill has been in operation till the pres- ent time. A saw-mill was built about 1825, by Francis W. Mather, 3 miles south of Panama, and discontinued after a few years. Isaac Carpenter built a saw-mill about 1828 a mile below Blockville ; it has been rebuilt by Abner L., and is now owned by Daniel Williams. Another was built by Samuel Hurlbut, about 44 years ago, between the two before mentioned, and is now owned by Samuel J. Green. A saw-mill was also built by Harvey and Theron S. Bly, about 1847, near the mouth of Goose creek : a mill is still in opera- tion there, owned by Harvey Bly. A steam saw-mill was built a few years ago by Messrs. Allen, near Grant's station, and is in operation. A saw-mill was built by Geo. Brightman about 40 years ago, and is still running. A steam saw-mill was built a few years ago by Wm. W. Ball, near the mouth of Bemus creek. Theron Bly and Daniel Sherman erected a carding-machine in 1822 or 1823, to which cloth-dressing machinery was attached a year or two afterwards by Hiram Benedict. The whole establishment was destroyed by fire in or about the year 1826. The establishment was rebuilt by Hiram Benedict and Samuel Brown about half a mile below; and, several years after, passed into the hands of Theron Bly and Henry Lovejoy, by whom it was sold in 1844 to Harvey and Henry H. Bly, and discontinued about 1850. Another was built at Panama about 1830, at which the business was carried on for many years by John Ward and David Moore.
The first store in Harmony was kept as early as 1818, some think a year or two earlier-name of the proprietor not known to the writer. He was a dealer in lumber, which was conveyed by Goose creek to the lake, and down
ยท
438
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
the Chautauqua outlet. Who immediately succeeded him, can not be stated with certainty. Titus Kellogg, Alvin Williams, and Adolphus Fletcher had stores at Ashville in 1821, and soon after, but as to which of them was there first, the oldest settlers there are not agreed. Mr. Williams, who was at Westfield, established his store here in the fall of 1822, and built the first ashery. The business was managed, first by Luke Drury and Howard Blod- gett. Williams sold out to his brother Joseph H. Williams, who took as a partner Titus Kellogg. Mr. Fletcher commenced trade about the same time as Alvin Williams, and also built an ashery ; and soon after, Ephraim Berry, who built an ashery and a distillery. There were at one time, four asheries in the place: hence the name of the village-Ashville. Probably no other place in the county ever had a greater number at one time.
The first tavern was built at Ashville in 1824, by James McClellan, on or near the site of the present residence of Daniel Williams. The building was intended for a private dwelling ; but was afterward converted into a tavern.
A tannery was built in 1826, by Daniel and Joseph H. Williams, the first in the town, and is still owned by the former. About the year 1829, a tan- nery was built at Panama, by Orrin Matthews.
Dr. Vine Elderkin, from Madison Co., was the first physician at Ashville, where his widow still resides. Their children were, Harriet and Mary, both unmarried; Henry, married; and Jane, wife of Wickham W. Hatfield. Both families reside in town. Later physicians were Hiram Alden, Stephen Eaton, Simeon Buzzell, - Dorr, John S. King, Charles Parker, from Otsego Co. to Ellery, and was successively at Mayville, Ashville, Fredonia, Forestville, Jamestown, Panama, Pennsylvania, and Harmony. Present physicians- Edson E. Boyd, Irvin J. Bowen, Aaron Skinner.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
JONATHAN CHENEY was born in Conn., March 10, 1769. He removed with his father to Pittstown, Rensselaer Co., N. Y .; and in 1807, to Chautauqua Co., with his family, having bought in May, 1806, the land on which his son Nathan now resides, being lot 13, tp. 3, r. 13, east of the lake ; but settled on the west side of the lake, in Harmony, where his sons Calvin and Alfred reside. At the age of 17 he went down the Ohio river, and enlisted in the service of the United States under Gen. Wayne, against the Indians in the Northwest Territory. He was a pack-horse man in transporting provisions from Cincinnati to Fort Hamilton. While in camp with others, they were fired on by Indians, and were obliged to flee for their lives ; and Mr. Cheney, leaving his shoes behind, traveled to Hamilton in snow, getting his feet badly frozen. After his return to Pittstown, he was married to Amy Cole, and re- moved to Chautauqua. They had 9 children : 1. Nathan, who married Mary Stoneman, and settled in Gerry, and removed thence, in 1841, to the farm first bought by his father in 1806, and where he now lives. He had 5 sons, of whom three, Elijah, Garland and James, are living on part of the farm. 2. Betsey, wife of John Broadhead, of Busti, a Methodist preacher.
439
HARMONY.
3. Clarissa, widow of Alfred Whipple, resides in Harmony. 4. Calvin, who was married to Lydia Bly, and resides in Harmony, with a second wife. 5. Amy, wife of Hazeltine Mitchell, in Harmony. 6. Daniel, who married Amanda Parkhurst, and settled and died on a part of the old farm. 7. Alfred, who married Rachel Burch, and resides near his brother Calvin. 8. Eunicy, wife of James Green, in Harmony, 9. Polly, who died at about 20.
PALMER CROSS, a native of Vt., came from Jefferson Co., N. Y., in 1827, and settled on lot 41, tp. 2, r. 13, a mile north of Panama, and was a resi- dent of the town until his death in 1810, aged 83. He was the second pastor of the Baptist church at Panama, which he served about 10 years. During the second year of his pastorate a revival occurred, and about 40 were added to the church. He was married three times : first, in Jefferson Co., to Naomi Blackmer ; second, in Harmony, to Julia Hurlbut ; third, to Mrs. Sarah Leach. He had by his first wife 5 children : 2 sons, Palmer and Eber. Palmer has two sons and a daughter. There were three daughters : Harriet A., wife of Daniel G. Powers ; Julia, wife of Humphrey Richardson, and has two sons, Palmer and Humphrey ; [Mr. Richardson deceased ;] Polly, wife, first of Alonzo Manley, who had four children, only one, a daughter, living ; second, the wife of Clark Robinson.
JOSEPH HOVT, from Mass., commenced the mercantile business at Ash- ville in 1836, and removed in 1844 to Panama, where he has continued in business, most of the time without a partner, until the present time. His present partner is Thaddeus F. Randolph. His children are Arvilla, wife of Mr. Randolph ; Charles, who married Emeline Polley, and is a physician at Sharon, Pa .; Herbert H., married, and lives at East Saginaw, Mich .; and Ella, wife of Wm. M. Rolf, at Corry, Pa.
HENRY B. LAMMERS, from Holland, in Europe, came in 1852 to Buffalo, and in 1858 to Panama. He was a house builder, which business he has pursued till the present time. In 1867, he built the school-house. After the fire of 1867, he erected the stone buildings in what is called the "Lam- mers Block ;" and in 1874, the brick hotel ; also the house now occupied by Wm. Daniels, and a house for himself, on South street; besides several valuable buildings in the town. He was for 4 years a trustee of the corpora- tion, and is still a resident of the village.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.