History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 55
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 55
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
JOHN LEWIS, a native of Conn., came from Onondaga Co., and settled on lot 24, tp. 1, r. 13, about two miles easterly from Panama. He was a Meth- odist local preacher. He had 6 children : 1. Alvah, who died at 19. 2. Almon, who is married and resides in Wisconsin. 3. Abner, who married Sally Ann Sweet, and had 5 children, of whom 4 are living : Maria, Charles, Mariett, and McKendrie. He was a practicing lawyer at Jamestown and Panama ; a deputy sheriff; first judge of the county; a member of assembly two years ; and a representative in Congress for one term. From Panama, where most of his active and official life was spent, he removed to Winona, Minn., where he now resides. 4. Levi, who married Lucy Steward, and lives at Panama ; had 5 children : Lucy W., who died at 21; Celina J., wife of
440
IIISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Henry H. Graves ; Alfred S., who married Miranda Ransom ; Beverly W., who married Louisa Graves ; and Bertrand L., who married Emily Pease.
CALVIN MANLEY, from Marcellus, Onondaga Co., N. Y., settled on lot 41, tp. 2, one mile north from Panama, which he bought in October, 1821, and where he died in January, 1869, aged 80 years, having been a member of the Baptist church about 50 years. He was married in Onondaga Co., to Sally Berry, who is still living in this town. They had 12 children, all of whom were married, and all but one still living : Hiram, who lives in Wisconsin ; Alonzo, deceased ; Nancy, wife of Henry Cross; Nelson; Solomon ; Simeon, in Westfield; Adoniram J., on the homestead; Emily, wife of Marvin Hooker, Corry, Pa .; Elon G., Erie, Pa .; James H., in Winona, Minn .; Syl- via, wife of Thomas Page, in Jamestown, [husband deceased ;] Henry, in Corry, Pa.
SIMEON POWERS, from West Cornwall, Vt., removed to Bradford Co., Pa., in 1807 or 1808. In 1816, he settled near Blockville, and in 1823 on lot 33, tp. 2, a mile north from Panama, where he resided until his death in 1842, aged 73 years. He was ordained to the ministry in Penn., and was the first pastor of the Baptist church in Harmony many years. This was the first religious organization in this town. He was married to Polly Goodyear in Vermont. They had 9 children, all of whom survived the age of childhood. They were : 1. Fanny, the wife, now widow, of Ebenezer Pratt, in Penn., one of whose sons, Reuben, a commanding officer, died in the late war. 2. Joel, who married Polly Hurlbut, and had 8 children, of whom Stephen died from the falling of a tree, and Fanny, who died at 16. Three sons, Stillman, Daniel E., and Reuben B., are married ; the latter residing in Aurora, Ill .; the others in Harmony. His daughters were Almira, wife of Olivet Ellis, of Clymer ; Rozilla, wife of Jehiel Brooks ; Sally, widow of Alva Tanner. 3. Jeremiah, unmarried. 4. Caroline, who was married to Isaiah Rexford, and is deceased. 5. Luther, who married Polly Rundle, and died in 1872. They had several children, all living, except Orville P., a lieutenant in the late war, who was killed at the battle of Pea Ridge. 6. Polly, wife of Silas Terry, Clymer. 7. Rhoda, wife of George Hawkins. 8. Daniel G., who married Harriet Cross, and resides at Panama. He had 5 children, all sons : Joseph E., who was married to Jennie Royce ; Joel A., to Harriet Lewis. and is a hardware merchant at Panama. He was in the late war, in Col. Drake's regiment. He was an orderly sergeant, and promoted to lientenant, He was at the siege of Suffolk, the battle of Cold Harbor, and several engagements about Petersburg, and sundry others. He was wounded at Chapin's Farm, and receives a pension. Francis A., to Mary Husted, and is a salesman for Pratt & Letchworth, Buffalo; Norman G., who was drowned at 7 ; and Eber, who died at 3. 9. Reuben, who died at 17.
JOHN H. PRAY, a native of Wells, Vt., came from Essex Co. to Panama in 1831, and commenced mercantile business with John Steward, and, while in trade, pursued the study of law under Hon. Abner Lewis, and commenced practice in 1836. He continued in trade till 1855, and in law practice till
441
1
HARMONY.
within the last two years. He was a justice of the peace about 20 years, and a member of assembly in 1848. He had 9 children, of whom three passed the age of childhood : John, who married Laura Clark, of Vt., and lives at Corry ; Esther, wife of Ezra C. Scofield, Panama ; and Sylvester, who mar- ried Louisa Hibbard, and resides at Wyandotte, Mich.
ISAIAH REXFORD, from Bradford Co., Pa., came to this town in 18r6, and . lived several years near Blockville ; and in 1824 settled about 2 miles north- erly from Panama, where he resided till his death, about 1848. He was mar- ried to Caroline Powers, and had 12 children, of whom 3 sons and 3 daugh- ters arrived at the age of majority, and had families. The sons are Everett ; Myron, who lives on the homestead; and Lyman, in Sherman. The daughters are Polly, wife of Eber Cross ; Laura, wife of Francis Bowen; and Lois, wife of John Cutler, who resides in Iowa.
JESSE SMITH, a native of N. H., came to Westfield in 1814, and the same year to Jamestown. In 1823 or 1824, he and Horatio Dix came to Panama and built a saw-mill and a grist-mill, the first in the village, where he still resides, at the age of 83 years. His children were : Gilbert, who, while cul- tivating a plantation in Tennessee during the late war, was taken by rebel soldiers and conveyed to prison in Alabama, where he died in a few days. Emily M., wife of George W. Parker, of Jamestown. Clement D., merchant at Riceville, Pa. Henry, merchant at Pleasantville, Pa. Helen K., wife of Jairus Winsor, Titusville. S. Jennie, and Alice E.
BENJAMIN SMITH, a native of N. Hampshire, came to Kiantone, near the village, in 1817; was married to Eunice Dix, and in 1825 removed to Panama, where he now resides, at the age of 77. He and his cousin Jesse owned the land on which the village now stands. He built the first framed house. His children were : Emeline M .; Eaton B., in Panama ; Nathaniel D., and Franklin J., both in town.
ELIPHALET STEWARD was born in Stonington, Conn., Aug. 15, 1759, and was married to Mercy Coates, who was born Sept. 6, 1764. They removed to Frankfort, Herkimer Co., and thence to Busti, in 1811, on lot 64, tp. I, r. 11, where Mr. Steward died Nov. 3, 1837, and his wife April 19, 1813. He had 4 children : Lucy, wife of Stephen Wilcox; John; Anna, wife of Walter Crouch ; and Betsey, wife of Michael Frank.
JOHN STEWARD, SR., son of Eliphalet, born June 14, 1786, was married to Eunice Wilcox. He came with his father from Herkimer Co., and settled on the same lot. In 1821, he removed with his family to Harmony, lot 24, where he died April 15, 1826. His children were: John; Sardius; Lucy, wife of Levi Lewis, Panama ; Stephen W .; Eliphalet, who was married to Clarissa Polley, and resides at Panama ; Almira, wife of Daniel C. Glidden, near Jamestown ; Cornelia, wife of Gustavus A. Bentley, Busti; Rhoda, wife of Horace H. Gifford, Jamestown ; Alfred W., who married, successively, Mi- nerva Bentley, Julia Hawkins, and Cordelia Robinson, and lives in Clymer ; and Betsey, wife of Henry O. Lakin, Jamestown.
JOHN STEWARD, JR., was born at Frankfort, N. Y., Oct. 21, 1806, and
442
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
removed with his father to Busti in 1811, and in 1821 to Harmony. He was married, Sept. 15, 1831, to Joanna Glidden, who was born in N. H., Sept. 15, 1808. He was an early merchant at Panama, and has been in business there most of the time since 1831. He has held the offices of supervisor, town clerk, and member of assembly. He has 5 children : the first two, twin sons ; the last two, twin daughters, as follows . Francis C., who was married to Melissa Smith, and has a son, John ; Franklin G., to Ennice V. Knowles, who died July 19, 1872. He has two daughters, Isabella and Orie. Henry C., who married Mary Knapp. He served 3 years in the late war, and was in the battles of Williamsburg, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Second Bull Run, Malvern Hill, Spottsylvania, and in the Wilderness. He entered as a private and was promoted to lieutenant. Mary E., the wife of Oliver Dalrymple, a graduate of Yale College, and a lawyer, now a resident of St. Paul, Minn., and largely engaged in farming. He has two sons, William and John. Martha A., unmarried.
SARDIUS STEWARD, second son of John Steward, Sr., was born at Frank- fort, Oct. 29, '1808, and removed with his father's family to Chautauqua Co., as above stated. [See sketch of John Steward, Sr.] He was married March 15, 1832, to Rhoda Ward, who was born May, 21, 1814. He resided on several farms in this town, and in 1869 removed to Ashville, his present residence. He has, by industry and economy, acquired a large and valuable real estate, and superintends the most extensive farming business conducted by any farmer in the county. Mr. Steward, at the time of his marriage, was, in person, considerably less than the average size of men, and his wife was proportionally much smaller. The remark was made by some, perhaps jocosely, this pair would not be able to take care of themselves. If made seriously, the success of this diminutive couple has long been an impeachment either of their judgment, or of their claim to the gift of prophecy, or to the discernment of spirits. Mr. Steward has five children : 1. Almira, wife of James H. Polley, Buffalo, who has a son, Fred. 2. William, who married Helen Baker ; lives in Ashville ; and has a son, Edwin S., and a daughter, Mary. 3. Sylvia, who married Henry B. Loomis ; has a son, Edward, and lives in Corry. 4. Levantia, wife of James A. Abbot, Sugar Grove, Pa., and has a son, Sardius. 5. Andrew, who married Emma Wemple ; has a daugh- ter, and resides in Harmony.
DANIEL WILLIAMS was born in Norwich, Mass., June 30, 1806. His father, Daniel Williams, a native of Conn., removed to Mass., where he had 16 children, 7 sons and 9 daughters, of whom 4 died in infancy and child- hood, and 5 sons and 7 daughters lived to mature age. Of the sons, Alvin, Joseph, Earl P., Daniel, and -, all but Daniel are dead. Of the daughters who came to this county, were Mrs. Gideon Brockway, of Clymer, both dead ; Mrs. John Dawley, of French Creek, both dead ; and Mrs. Nathaniel Thompson, of French Creek, also both dead. Daniel Williams came to Westfield in 1820, and in 1824 to Ashville, where he still resides. He was married, Oct. 15, 1829, to Almeda E. Comstock, of Pine Grove, Pa., who
*
Jardin Steward
Damit Williams
443
HARMONY.
was born Nov. 2, 1811. He was an early tanner, and pursued the several occupations of manufacturing pot and pearl ashes, tanning and shoemaking, merchandising and farming, for about 40 years. He has held the offices of supervisor, justice, and assessor, and for two terms the office of coroner. He took an active part in originating and constructing the Atlantic & Great Western and the Cross Cut railroads, which have contributed much to the prosperity of the county. In recognition of his active efforts in the further- ance of these enterprises, a complimentary public dinner was given at May- ville, and another at Jamestown. He has aided materially in building up the village and erecting churches. He had 5 children : 1. Oscar F., who died at 35, unmarried. 2. Addis E., who married Ella E. Brown, and resides in Jamestown. 3. Adelaide E., wife of Henry B. Clark, Pulaski, N. Y. 4. Earl P., who married Celestia M. Ellsworth. 5. Alton L., who married Kate H. Cullum, and has removed to Vallejo, Cal.
CHURCHES.
The Baptist Church in Panama was organized May 14, 1817, and was com- posed of 16 members, namely : Simeon Powers, Timothy Jenner, Orange Phelps, Samuel Hurlbut, Oliver Pier, Israel Carpenter, Caleb Beals, and the wives of all ; and Moses Jenner and Aurilla Groom. Rev. John Lasure, Rev. Asa Turner, John Putnam, Lorenzo Hunt, Russel Babcock, Wm. Marsh, and Mary Bliss, from the churches of Pomfret and Chautauqua, composed the council ; Rev. J. Lasure, moderator. Timothy Jenner and David Pratt, were chosen deacons. Orange Phelps was the first church clerk. Simeon Powers was immediately chosen as pastor, and continued as such until 1828. Among those who have since ministered to the church are Palmer Cross, Peter Freeman, Charles Sanderson, and Spencer S. Ainsworth, who was ordained Nov. 19, 1845. Present pastor, Alfred Wells. Among those who have served as deacons since those first elected, were Reuben Thompson, Ephraim Case, Joel Powers, Stephen Brayton, Holland Blackmar, Nathan Chamberlain. Samuel Hurlbut succeeded Orange Phelps as clerk ; and after the division of the church, Moses Jenner, Ebenezer Pratt, Noble Gates, Daniel G. Powers, Job Arnold, Ambrose Blackmar and others have served as clerks. In 1821, a difficulty arose which resulted in the exclusion of about one-half of the members, which for a few years crippled the energies of the church. For several years previous to 1834, meetings were alternately held at school-houses. Panama was then made the center, and the other locations given up. In 1835-6, they built their house of worship, which was dedi- cated Aug. 11, 1836 ; the sermon by Rev. Charles Morton, of Erie. The site of this house was obtained by the liberality of members of the Presby- terian church of this village. A portion of this gift was refunded to them when building their own house of worship.
The Baptist Church at Ashville was organized in July, 1828 ; Rev. Jairus Handy officiating. A branch of the Mayville Baptist church was formed the year previous; but in the absence of records, particulars cannot be satisfac-
444
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
torily given. The constituent members of the present church were : Hiram Alden, Chas. D. Slayton, James McClellan, Sr. and Jr., Nathaniel H. Stow, Anson Phelps, Heber Cowden, Daniel Higley, Albert Partridge, John Well- man, John Rugg, Geo. L. Case, Peter L. Phelps, John Morton, Ephraim Case, and 17 females-in all, 32. Ephraim Case was chosen the first deacon ; James McClellan, clerk. The church edifice was erected in 1831 or 1832, but not completed until a year or two years afterwards.
The First Congregational Church was organized Nov. 28, 1830, by Rev. Justin Marsh, assisted by Rev. Samuel Leonard and Rev. Isaac Jones, all members of Buffalo Presbytery. The church was received under the care of that Presbytery. After several years, having adopted the Presbyterian form of government and discipline, it took the name of First Presbyterian Church of Panama. Among the first members were Orrin Matthews and wife, Asa- hel Clark and wife, Margaret Morgan, and others. Others joined soon after : Mary Nichols, Benj. and Eunice D. Smith, Emeline M. Smith, Dr. Stephen Peck, Dr. Cornelius Ormes, John H. and Esther Pray, Matilda Chase, Sa- mantha Dix, Dea. Josiah Holbrook and wife, Nehemiah Sperry and wife, Mrs. Sarah Dix, Reuben Davis and wife, Noah Harrington and wife. They had occasional preaching by Rev. Mr. Stanley, Rev. Erastus J. Gillett, Rev. Samuel G. Orton, and others. The first pastor was Rev. Alfred W. Gray. He was followed by Aaron Van Wormer, Abner D. Olds, O. D. Hibbard, A. Worthington, Charles Merwin. For many years after their organization, their place of worship was in the tannery, which had been fitted up for that purpose. A new church edifice was erected in 1846. Rev. Chalon Burgess, the present pastor, has served the church as such since 1861.
The Methodist Episcopal Church at Blockville is said to have originated in a class formed as early as the year 1818. An early settler thinks John Lewis, Isaac Carpenter, John Pember, and their wives ; Daniel B. Carpenter, Joseph S. Pember, and Mrs. Elijah Terry, were first members of the class. Another mentions also John Steward, Sr., and Almon Lewis and their wives ; and soon after, Phineas Stevens, David Preston, and Martin Hobert and their wives, and Henry Crane. The first local preacher was John Lewis ; the first circuit preacher, John Somerville, who was succeeded by Wm. Green. The first church edifice of this society was dedicated in January, 1840.
The Free-will Baptist Church of Harmony was organized at the house of Nathaniel Clark, at King's Corners, Dec. 4, 1830; Elders Harmon Jenkins and Thomas Grinold, officiating. The number of members constituting the church was 23. They were Timothy Walkley, David Lucas, Nathaniel Clark, David Clark, James Alexander, Asa Wait, Ebenezer Thayer, Samuel Reed, Phineas Chamberlain, and the wives of most or all of them ; Isaac Phelps, Freeman Williams, Sarah Burnham, Rhoda Keith, and Pamelia Baldwin. Asa Wait was chosen clerk, and was succeeded, Jan., 1833, by Aaron Bald- win. The first deacon named, was David Lucas, chosen Jan., 1834, and held the office till his death, Sept. 4, 1872. In 1867, Daniel Ellis was elected second deacon. The ministers who statedly supplied the church for longer
-
445
KIANTONE.
or shorter periods, were Thomas Grinold, J. Smith, R. J. Cowles, F. B. Tan- ner. After 1859, [the year not given,] the church was moved about 3 miles south, on the town line, and took the name of Clymer and Harmony Church. Since the removal, the church has been supplied by Elders Arad Losee, (commencing 1863,) Oliver Johnson, Ansel Griffith, Arad Losee, a second time, [1868] Wm. Johnson, Joshua Giffin, Joseph Kettle. Present pastor, Ansel Griffith. A house of worship was built, in 1868, by the Baptists and Methodists, jointly.
The South Harmony Free-will Baptist Church was organized Nov. 5, 1855, at the Cherry school-house. The names of the original members are Erastus Huntley, Joseph Carroll, Aaron Cornish, Elisha Morgan, Levi Rexford, Han- nah Tillotson, Mary Mather, Sarah Maria Cornish, Patience Smith, Catharine Siggins, Theodosia Wellman. Erastus Huntley was the first clerk. The first pastor was Levi Rexford, who has been succeeded by A. Losee, W. H. Cut- ler, D. S. Fowler, Oliver Johnson, Joseph Kettle, and the present pastor, G. H. Chappell. This church and society, two years ago, built a fine house of worship, in which meetings are regularly held. Present clerk, Charles Bentley.
KIANTONE.
KIANTONE was formed from Carroll, Nov. 16, 1853. It embraces the east half of township I, range II, except the north tier of four lots, which forms a part of Ellicott, and includes that portion of the south-west part of t. I, r. 10, which lies between its west line and the Connewango creek, giving it an area of about 11,288 acres-little more than half the area of an entire township. Its surface is undulating in the east part, and hilly in the west. The highest summits are about 100 feet above Chautauqua lake. The greater part of the eastern boundary is formed by the Connewango creek. The Kiantone creek, from Pennsylvania, runs through the south-east part of the town, north-easterly into the Connewango about 2 miles above the Pennsyl- vania line. A branch of the Kiantone, the York Run, rising in the south- west corner of the town, runs east and enters the Kiantone a mile and a half above its mouth. The Stillwater crosses the northern part of the town, and unites with the Connewango. The soil is a clay loam intermixed with gravel.
Original Purchases in Kiantone-Township I, Range II.
1808. March, Robert Russell, 1. September, Hezekiah Seymour, 30. James Slade, 30.
1810. May, Solomon Jones, 31.
18II. April, William Sears, II. June, Elijah Braley, ro. Wm. Sears, 3, 12. September, James Hall, 19. Ebenezer Davis, 28. October, Ebenezer Cheney, 27. Wm. and Isaac Martin, 23. December, John Blowers, 31.
1812. October, Ebenezer Cheney, 13.
1813. September, Jonathan Cheney, I.
446
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
1814.
James Akin, 15. May, Daniel Wallace, 8 [Ellicott.]
1815. Feb., Wm. Sears, 19. Nov., Levi Jones, 3. Gordon Swift, 18.
1823. February, David C. Jones, 17. June, Charles Spencer, 4.
1824. January, Richard Covell, 6. .
1825.
October, Joel Marsh, 27. December, James Akin, 14.
1826. June, David Price, 25. George Snyder, 25. July, Roderick Chapin, 26. David C. Jones, 17. Ora Davis, 17. Elias Woodcock, 17. December, Silas Axtell, 3. Levi Davis, 13.
1827. June, James Hall, 3. Rufus Greene, 18, 26. September, Nathan Kidder, 31.
A settlement was made early on the Stillwater creek, in tp. 1, r. 11, near the center of the township, which is now near the west line of the town of Kiantone. Joseph Akin, from Rensselaer Co., was the pioneer settler here. He came with his family in 1807, before the survey of the township into lots was completed. Solomon Jones settled on lot 21, in 1810, and Benj. Tubbs, it is said, on lot 31, the same year. In 1811, Wm. Sears bought on lots 11, 3, 12; James Hall, lot 19; Ebenezer Davis, 28; Ebenezer Cheney, 27 ; and Wm. and Isaac Martin, 23. Several of the relatives of Mr. Akin also settled early in the town.
Joseph Akin laid out a piece of ground into lots for a villlage, about the time Judge Prendergast laid out Jamestown ; but he would not sell his lots in fee, but offered long leases to any persons who would improve them. But Prendergast sold his lots on liberal terms, and gave clear deeds, and credited almost any one who desired it. Consequently Jamestown went forward, while Akinsville declined, or remained stationary. It is believed but two houses and a blacksmith shop were built in Akinsville; one of the houses being Laban Case's tavern. Akin had probably brought his lease notions from Rensselaer county, where most of the land was held by leases from the patroon or other land proprietors. This system of land tenures had become unpopular in the eastern counties of the state, and probably still more so among the settlers here from other parts of the country.
Solomon Jones came from Vermont in the summer of 1810, located his land, chopped a small piece of timber, and erected the body of a log house : and hired Elijah Akin to prepare it for occupancy. He returned to Vermont, and in the fall brought his family with two wagons and five horses. He arrived at Mayville the first of November ; left there his wagons and family ; hired a keel boat in which they were to be brought to the Rapids ; and he and Ellick, his oldest son, came down with the horses on the east side of the lake, staying over night at Jeremiah Griffith's, and the horses being turned into corn stubble. In the morning they started, and came by marked trees to the head of the Rapids, where they found John Blowers' new log house, not yet occupied. He crossed the outlet, the ground covered with snow, and went to Joseph Akin's on the Stillwater, and put his horses in corn stubble. Akin had not yet finished his log house, but was about to put on a board roof. From adverse winds and other causes, he was two days in getting down; and the next morning after its arrival at the head of the Rapids, the outlet
-
Prendergast Her. J. Prend
447
KIANTONE.
was frozen over; and the boatmen left the boat and returned to Mayville. Jones staid at Akin's a few days, and moved into his cabin, without a chim- ney, Nov. 16, 1810.
Mr. Jones had had practical experience in clearing land in Vermont. He chopped 7 acres during the winter. Early in March, Wm. Sears and Nathan Lasall arrived with a yoke of oxen. The spring being an unusually early one, the cattle lived well in the woods, the leeks having very early attained a luxu- riant growth. Sears wanting grain, and Jones a yoke of oxen and cows, they went to the mouth of the Broken Straw creek, where Jones bought a good yoke of oxen and a cow for $65. Mr. Jones cleared off 6 acres, from which he harvested 300 bushels of corn, and about 70 bushels of potatoes.
Almost simultaneously with the settlement on the Stillwater, commenced the settlement of township r, r. ro, [now Carroll.] We find as original pur- chasers, as early as 1808, Joel Taylor on lot 51 ; George Sloan, 59, [now in Kiantone.] In 1809, Samuel Anderson, 57, [now in Kiantone ;] Charles Boyles, 62 ; and Isaac Walton, 41. In 1810, Henry Abell, 33, and George W. Fenton, 52. Those, as will be seen, settled in the south-west part of the township. How many of these purchasers became actual settlers does not appear. Although the Company's books show no articled lands earlier so far north as Frewsburgh, we are informed that John Frew bought an interest in lands there as early as 1809; though he probably did not settle there so soon, as he worked through the summer of that year in sawing for Edward Work ; and it was not until 1811, that the Frews and Thomas Russell built their saw-mill near Frewsburgh. [See Hist. of Carroll.] This may be considered as about the time of settlement at Frewsburgh.
Benjamin Covel was born in Harwich, Mass., in 1761. In 1777, he en- listed in the Revolutionary army, and served during the war. He was at the taking of Burgoyne, at Sullivan's defeat, and at the battle of Monmouth, N. J. He was married, in 1784, to Sibyl Durkee, in Washington, Conn. His father, John Covel, removed with his sons to Pittstown, N. Y., about 1786, where he died in 1806, aged 73. Benjamin removed in 1810, with a large family, to the present town of Carroll, where he resided until his death, Nov. 27, 1822, aged 6r. At that time all of his sons and daughters, his brother Seth and nephew Simeon, were living in the neighborhood; and the settlement was called Coveltown. In a sketch of Benj. Covel and family, it is said they " were active in getting the first bridge built across the Conne- wango at Coveltown, by Capt. Charles Taylor." From this it is naturally inferred that they resided near the Connewango ; whereas, it appears from the Land Company's books, that Benj. Covel took up, in December, 1810, lot 2, tp. 1, r. 11, on which Alexander T. Prendergast and Seth Cheney now reside, in Kiantone. Benj. Covel's wife died in Covington, Genesee Co., 1831, aged 69.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.