History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 56
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 56
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
Jasper Marsh, a native of Mass., removed from Otsego Co. to Chautauqua, on lot 28, tp. r, r. 11, then Pomfret, since Ellicott, now Kiantone, near Joseph Akin's, on Stillwater creek. He was a soldier of the Revolution. He was
448
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
a farmer and a mechanic. He supplied many of the early settlers with large spinning wheels, reels, common chairs, hay rakes, fork handles, and most other wooden articles turned in a lathe. His wares were generally stamped, "J. Marsh," with a hot iron. He was at the taking of Burgoyne, and at West Point, Boundbrook, N. J., etc. He was a pensioner for his Revolu- tionary services.
Benj. Jones, from Vermont, came about 1820, and settled in the south-east part of the town, on land now owned by Alexander T. Prendergast. He subsequently removed to lot 21, where Henry, his youngest son, now lives. He was one of the earliest and most active friends of the temperance cause, and highly esteemed for his integrity and moral worth. His children were Austin, Orville, Loren, Henry, who resides on the homestead of his father, and Cynthia, wife of Seth Cheney ; Austin, Orville, deceased.
Ebenezer Chapin, a native of Washington Co., N. Y., removed from War- saw, N. Y., to this town in 1830, and settled on lot 25, and in 1856, to the village where he now resides. He married Maria D. Cady of this town. They had 7 children, of whom 6 arrived at mature age : Adams, Emma, Adelia, wife of Dexter Parker, who reside in town; Dwight, a merchant in Cincinnati ; Sylvester, who was wounded in the late war, and died in Wil- mington, N. C., from sickness contracted while employed in a hospital ; and Orlando.
Roderick Chapin, born in Mass., removed from Warsaw, N. Y., to this town, on lot 25, where he died in 1857. He was a preacher, first, in the Methodist Episcopal church ; afterwards in the Cumberland Presbyterian church. His children were: Hester Ann, wife of Charles Lyon, in James- town; Charlotte, wife of James McKay, in Michigan ; Jasper, Louisa, Sarah, Mary, and Roderick, who died in infancy.
Nathan A. Alexander, from Vermont, resided successively on what is known as the Cary farm, lot 20 ; on lot 18, I m. west of the village; and on land bought of Ransom Akin, on Stillwater, where he and his wife both died, leaving no children.
The first town-meeting for the election of town officers, was held on the 2 Ist of February, 1854, at the house of E. Frissel, in the village of Carroll, [now Kiantone.] The names of the officers elected are as follows :
Supervisor-Ezbai Kidder. Town Clerk-Levant B. Brown. Justices of the Peace-Levant B. Brown, Martin C. Grant, Charles Russell, Aaron J. Phillips. Town Superintendent of Schools-Francis M. Alvord. Assessors- Joel Scudder, Jr., Nathan A. Alexander. Com'rs of Highways-Simeon C. Davis, Smith Spencer, Stephen C. Rhinehart. Collector- Stephen Norton. Inspectors of Election-Milo Van Namee, George A. Dorn, Stephen Norton, [appointed.] Overseers of the Poor-Eddy Weatherly, Joshua Norton. Con- stables- Stephen Norton, Joseph Davis, Abram Martin, James Griffin. The act forming the town of Kiantone designated Alexander T. Prendergast, Benj. T. Morgan, and James B. Slocum, as a town board, to preside at the first town-meeting, to appoint a clerk of the board, to open and keep the polls,
449
KIANTONE.
and to exercise the powers of justices of the peace at town-meetings. Albert Scudder was appointed clerk of the board.
Voted, that the next annual meeting be held at E. Frissel's.
Voted, that the sum of $150 be raised for roads and bridges.
The act forming the town required the eastern line to be adjusted so as to make the support of the bridge, called the State Line bridge, wholly charge- able on the town of Kiantone.
In 1855, the following were elected : Supervisor-Lucien V. Axtell. Town Clerk-George A. Hall. Justices of the Peace-Aaron J. Phillips, Walter D. Wicks, Luther H. Botsford. [The necessity of electing more than one justice this year, was probably caused by the failure of two to qualify the year previous, or by declining to serve.] Superintendent of Schools-Josiah Davis. Assessors-Charles Spencer, Wynant Creel, Chas. Russell. Com'r of Highways-James B. Slocum. Collector-Osmond H. Field. Inspectors of Election-John W. Creel, Milo Van Namee, George A. Dorn. Overseers of Poor -- Nathan A. Alexander, James Carey. Constables-Osmond H. Field, Myron H. Botsford, Abram Martin, James A. Dunn. Town Board-Levant B. Brown, Simeon C. Davis, George A. Dorn. Clerk of Board-Levant B. Brown.
Voted, that the sum of $150 be raised for roads and bridges.
Voted, that the town-meeting for 1856 be held at E. Frissel's.
Supervisors of Kiantone from 1854 to 1874.
Ezbai Kidder, 1854. Lucien Hall, 1855, '56. Charles Spencer, 1857. Delavan G. Morgan, 1858. Russell M. Brown, 1859, '61. George A. Hall, 1860. Wellington Woodward, 1862, '63, '64, '65, '68. Aaron J. Phillips, 1866, '67, '73 (?). Joel Scudder, 1869 to '72. Howard Russell, 1874.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
EBENEZER CHENEY, a native of Orange, Mass., removed to Chautauqua Co., and settled on the east part of lot 12, tp. I, r. 11 ; his deed bearing date, Nov. 12, 1812. We find him, however, on the Company's books, to have articled a part of lot 27, in Oct., 1811; and the east part of lot 13, in Oct., 1812. He appears also as purchaser, by article, in other townships. In 1817, he removed to Jamestown, and after a brief residence there he removed back to his farm in Kiantone, where he died Aug. 12, 1828, from the kick of a sucking colt. His age was 67 years. His wife died Nov. 11, 1835, aged 68. They had 6 daughters, (one of whom died in infancy,) and 3 sons. Ruby, the eldest daughter, was the wife, first of Wm. Sears, an early settler in Kiantone, and after his death, the wife of Charles Arnold, of De- wittville. Anna was the wife of Judge E. T. Foote; and Mary, Abigail, and Maria were successively wives of James Hall, also an early settler and prom- inent citizen of Kiantone. His youngest son, Seth, resides in the south-east part of the town, and has a son residing with him.
EBENEZER DAVIS, born in Wardsboro', Vt., came to this county with his brother Emri, in 1812, and settled on or near the Stillwater creek, now in
29
450
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Kiantone. He married Lydia, a daughter of Wm. Hall. He was the first town clerk of Ellicott, which then included Carroll and Kiantone. At the first revival, in 1818, commenced under the preaching of Elder Davis, Baptist, Ebenezer Davis was the first person baptized in Stillwater, at Akin's bridge. He died, Jan. 9, 1846, aged 66. The land book shows Mr. Davis as an original purchaser by article only of the south part of lot 37, tp. I, I. 10, in May, 1814. The assessment roll of Pomfret, however, has the name of Ebenezer Davis on the east part of lot 28, tp. I, r. II, now in the west part of Kiantone, a short distance south of Stillwater creek. Elisha, a younger brother, born next after Emri, died in Ellicott, unmarried. Adams, the youngest brother, came to Ellicott in 1815, and removed to Flemington, N. J., where, in 1857, he was teacher of an academy. The sisters were Mrs. Samuel Hall, of Busti ; Mrs. Joseph Waite, of Jamestown ; and Mrs. Eli Hoskins, Jamestown.
SAMUEL GARFIELD, a native of Mass., removed from Windham Co., Vt., in 1814, to Ellicott, afterwards Carroll, now Kiantone. His wife's maiden name was Haywood, who was a sister of Mrs. Thomas W. Harvey and Mrs. Solomon Jones. He removed early to lot 46, tp. I, r. II, now Busti, and resided for a few years in Jamestown. He was a carpenter by trade, and worked also at farming. At an early day he made half-bushel and smaller dry measures. He also invented a mode of making scythe snaths, by steam- ing and bending. Finding a ready sale for his snaths, he enlarged his man- ufactory and improved his machinery, until they attained to the capacity of manufacturing several thousand dozen a year, shipping them extensively to the South and West, until nearly all the ash timber fit for snaths, in that region, had been worked up.
JOSEPH GARFIELD, a brother of Samuel, removed to Ellicott, thence to Pine Grove, Pa., and after a few years returned to Ellicott, now Busti. He was once elected a justice of the peace in Busti, and a coroner of the county.
JAMES HALL, with his brothers, Samuel, William, Josiah, Elisha, and Orris, removed in 1812, from Dover, Vt., to Pomfret, [now Kiantone,] where he resided, on the same farm, until his death, in 1846. At the first town election in Ellicott, on its organization, in 1813, he was elected constable and collec- tor. He was elected assessor in 1816, and reelected until 1822, inclusive. In 1823, he was elected supervisor, and was continued in the office by re- election until the town of Carroll was set off, in which he thereby became a resident, and in which, on its organization, he was elected supervisor, and reelected year after year, until he positively declined serving any longer in that office. He was at a pretty early period appointed a justice of the peace, which office he held for many years. In 1833, he was elected a member of assembly; and it is mentioned as an evidence of his popularity, that the party opposed to him had elected their candidate the year previous by more than 1,700 majority. When somewhat advanced in life, he united with the Congregational church, of which he continued a worthy and efficient member. Several years before his death he became partially palsied, and gradually
451
KIANTONE.
wasted away. He was born July 16, 1790, and died Aug 21, 1846, aged 56 years. He was married, in Dover, Vt., in 1810, to Mary, a daughter of Ebenezer Cheney, and had by her four children. After her death, in Kian- tone, in 1828, he married her sister, who died a few months after ; and six months after her decease, he married another sister, by whom he had three children.
WILLIAM MARTIN, son of Aaron Martin, removed to Chautauqua Co. with his father in 1811, and bought a part of lot 23, tp. I, r. 11. He was born at Claverack, Columbia Co., N. Y., Nov. 7, 1789, and was married in Busti, in 1815, to Roxa Pier, daughter of Levi Pier. He was ensign in Lieut. Wm. Forbes' company, in the war of 1812, and was taken prisoner at the battle of Buffalo, and kept at Montreal until May, 1814-four months-sent to St. Johns, was there exchanged, and returned home in June. He was called out again in September, was at Fort Erie, and left five days before the " sortie." Mr. Martin still resides on the farm on which he first settled. He had 9 children : 1. Isaac, who married Fanny Rawson, and resides in Carroll. Three of his sons were in the late war: Edgar, who was in the battle of Wil- liamsburgh, and several others; Emery, who was also for a time an assistant in a hospital ; and Albert, who was in the battle of Fort Fisher, in which Capt. Smith, of Jamestown, was killed. Isaac had 4 other sons, Lorenzo, Jesse, Homer, and an infant son ; and 2 daughters, Lazetta and Elvira. 2. Abraham, who married Mary E. Burnham, and resides near his father. His children are Ellen, Willis, and George. 3. Lorenzo, who married Mercy Jenkins, and resides in Busti. His children are Melissa, Alice, Hannah, Ophelia, and Dewey. 4. Alonzo D., who married Clarissa Jones, who is de- ceased. He emigrated to New Zealand, married, and has a family there. 5. Sally Ann, wife of Lyman Northrup, Sugar Grove, Pa. 6. Davis, died at 10. 7. Adaline. 8. George L., who married Jane Smiley, and resides in Jamestown. 9. Annette, died in infancy.
WILLIAM SEARS, born in Dover, Vt., March 29, 1787, removed to Kian- tone, on lot 11, which he bought in April, 1811, and on which he resided till his death. Some years after his settlement, he opened a tavern in his dwell- ing house on the east side of the road, a little south of the small run in the village of Kiantone. He subsequently built a two story front to his house, and sold his tavern and a part of the farm ; after which he built a large, two story tavern house on the north side of the little run of water, west side of the road; in which house he died. The heirs, after his death, sold the tavern stand, now owned by Aaron J. Phillips. No tavern is kept there. Nathan L., a son of Wm. Sears, removed to Towanda, Ill., where he had a large prairie farm. He lost a son in the south-western army, in 1863. Clinton W., edu- cated at Yale College and Wesleyan University, became an eminent preacher, stationed in and about Cincinnati, O .; went as chaplain in the army ; was at the siege of Vicksburg ; was taken ill; and came home and died in 1863. The village of Kiantone was at one time called Searsville, froni Wm. Sears, the first settler at that place.
452
IIISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
CHURCHES.
The First Congregational Church of Kiantone was organized in 1815, as the First Church of Ellicott, about a year earlier than the Congregational Church of Jamestown. After the town of Carroll was formed from Ellicott, in 1825, the church being within the new town, it was called the Congrega- tional Church of Carroll ; and since the erection of Kiantone from Carroll in 1853, the church has been known as the Congregational Church of Kian- tone. It was organized by Rev. John Spencer, with 5 male and 5 female members : Asa Moore, Samuel Garfield, Levi Jones, and their wives ; John Jones, Anna, wife of Ebenezer Cheney, Mrs. Wheeler, wife of Josiah Wheeler, and Wm. Deland. The first deacon was John Jones. Those who have since been chosen to that office are : Asa Moore, James Carey, John C. Jones, Eleazar Fellows, Ebenezer Chapin, 1852. [The list is furnished to no later date.] For several years after its formation, the church had occasional preaching in dwellings and school-houses, by John Spencer. The church has since been supplied by Amasa West, Samuel Leonard, 1828; Isaac Eddy, 1829; Simeon Peck, 1834; Joseph S. Emory, (installed, 1835 ;) O. D. Hibbard, 1841 ; S. W. Edson, T. A. Gale, E. M. Spencer, W. T. Rey- nolds, N. H. Barnes, W. A. Halleck. In 1830, a meeting-house was built on a site given the society by widow Sears. Meetings were held, first in pri- vate dwellings, and afterwards in school-houses.
The First Christian Society of Universalists in Carroll was formed at the present village of Kiantone, Dec. 30, 1853 ; Rufus Greene, moderator of the meeting ; Levi Davis, secretary. Charles Spencer, Isaac Eames, and Julius Alvord were elected trustees ; Charles Brown, treasurer. The constitution and by-laws of the society were subscribed by about twenty-five persons. A meeting-house was built in 1845. A church was organized Nov. 26, 1853. A constitution, articles of faith, and form of church covenant were adopted, and were signed by Rev. F. M. Alvord, pastor ; N. A. Alexander, Horatio N. Thornton, stewards; Joseph Case, Arthur B. Braley, Oliver G. Chase, Caro- line Wheaton, Eunice N. Thornton, Mary S. Thornton. H. N. Thornton was chosen clerk.
MINA.
MINA was taken from Clymer, March 23, 1824. It included the present town of Sherman, which was taken off in 1832. It comprises the 2d town- ship of the 15th range. Its surface is rolling and hilly. Its largest stream is French creek, which, passing through the northern and western parts of Sherman, crosses the south-east corner of Mina into the town of French Creek. The outlet of Findley's lake is also a considerable stream, which affords a water power sufficient for several mills within a mile and a half from the lake.
453
MINA.
Original Purchases in Township 2, Range 15.
18TI. September, Alexander Findley, 52.
1815. Oct., Alexander Findley, 42. Nov., Jonathan Darrow, 57 or 58.
1816. March, George Haskell, 58. .
1818. October, Aaron Whitney, 59. Roger Haskell, 59.
1821. May, George Collier, 45. November, Nathan Leach, 44.
r822. September, Hiel Rowley, 37.
1823. August, John G. Acres, 38. September, James Ottaway, 14. William Tryon, 31. October, Silas Hazen, Jr., 23. Horace Brockway, 44. November, Joseph Palmer, Ir. John Barnes, 20.
1824. March, Elisha Morse, 39. Nathan Morse, 45. Edward P. Morse, 45. April, Ezra Bisby, 26. Ezra F. Bisby, 26. June, Josiah Morse, 61. Elijah Heyden, 33. Charles T. Bailey, 7. August, Edward Chambers, 14. Sept., Robert Corbett, 2 or 3. Oct., James Nichols, 3.
1825. March, Seth McCurry, 13. Wm. Craig, Jr., 22. April, Squire King, 7. Benj. R. Teft, 60. Nathaniel Herrick, 7. May, Jesse Oaks, 27. Josiah R. Keeler, 3. Zina Rickard, 28. October, Nathaniel Throop, 6. Hugh Findley, 42. Oliver B. Bliss and Henry Bliss, 56. December, West Barber, 47.
1826. January, Hugh I. Skellie, 50, 51. April, Gideon Barlow, 16. June, James Ottaway, Jr., 35. October, Horace Brockway, 59. Jesse Robertson, 62.
1827. March, James W. Robertson, 43.
1828. January, Isaac Fox, 46. February, George Collier, 54. May, Theodore Whitten, 40. Cyrus Underwood, 40. August, Wm. Tryon, 31. November, James W. Robertson, 34.
1831. May, Daniel S. Richmond, 32. George Pulman, 45.
Of the original purchasers named in the foregoing list, Aaron Whitney, Hiel Brockway, Gideon Barlow, and John W. Robertson, are the only ones who own lands which they bought of the Holland Company. Peter R. Montague owns the farm on which, at the age of 15, he settled with Ezra Bisby, his step-father, the original purchaser in 1824.
The first settlement in this town is said to have been made in 1816, on lot 52, by Alexander Findley, which was five years after his purchase, in 1811. According to the State Gazetteer, Aaron Whitney settled on lot 59, in 1821, and, the same year, Zina Rickard, on lot 28, and Roger Haskell, on lot 50. From the preceding list of original purchases, it will appear that Haskell bought in 1816, and on lot 58, instead of 50 ; and Whitney and Rickard, in 1818. Although not all purchasers entered upon their lands the same year in which they articled them, it is not probable that three years elapsed before they settled upon their lands. Rickard does not appear on the land- office books as a purchaser, by article, until 1825, though he may have resided on his land before that year. The Jeremiah Knowles, whose name is not on the list of original purchasers, is said to have settled a mile and a half north of Findley's lake, when there was not a public road in the west part of the town. He was a civil engineer, and laid out the first public road in that vicinity.
Alexander Findley was born in Ireland, and emigrated with his family to
454
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
this country, and resided for a time in Greenfield, Erie Co., Pa. He removed thence to where the village of Findley's Lake now is ; both the lake and the place having taken their names from him. The lake is also known by the name of "Findley's Pond." He had 11 children, 6 sons and 5 daughters, ro of whom arrived at mature age. Of the sons, Russel, Hugh and Carson, settled in Mina. Russel removed to Crawford Co., Pa., and died there. Hugh died in Mina. Carson still resides in the town, 34 m. north from the village. He married Mary Ann, daughter of Archelaus Hunt, an early settler in the south part of the town. He had to children, of whom 5 are living.
Aaron Whitney removed to Chautauqua county, and settled on lot 59, which he bought in Oct., 1818, where he still resides. His sons are: Isaac, who resides in French Creek ; Samuel, removed to the West ; James, unmar- ried, at home ; Hiram, in town-wife deceased ; Aaron, at the West ; Benja- min in town ; Zebulon, in Penn. Mr. Whitney's daughters are : Phebe, wife of Lorenzo Flowers, and resides in Mina ; Electa, wife of Morgan Tanner, of Wattsburg, Pa .; Miranda, wife of Jared Chittenden, removed to Illinois, and died there ; and a daughter who died young.
Cullin Barnes settled early at Mina Corners, where he lately resided. His sons are : Melvin C., who resides in town ; Azial P., a blacksmith at Finley's Lake. He has 3 daughters : Charlotte, wife of Nahum N. Grimes ; Lucena, wife of Isaac Rockwell, and resides in Penn. ; and Adelia, unmarried, who resides at her father's. Mr. Barnes died within the last year.
Robert Corbett, from Milford, Mass., came to Chautauqua county, and purchased, in 1824, a part of lot 3, in the present town of Mina. He sub- sequently built a saw-mill and a grist-mill on the site previously occupied by Alexander Findley. His sons were : Ithiel, who removed with his family to California ; Newell, in Sherman ; David, a merchant in New York; Robert A., at present keeper of the hotel at Findley's Lake; Otis, residing in Chi- cago. Daughters of Mr. Corbett : Lucretia, wife of James W. Robertson, merchant ; and Lydia, who died at 19.
Peter R. Montague, born in Vermont, July 3, 1809, removed, at the age of 3 years, with his mother to Middlebury, Genesee Co., and thence to Mina, in 1824, with his step-father, Ezra Bisby, who settled on the farm on which Mr. Montague now resides. He has held various offices in the town, and is at present an overseer of the poor. He married, Jan. 1, 1835, Olive Hall, of French Creek. Their children are : Owen H., now at Wattsburg, Pa .; Ellen, wife of Theodore M. Ryan, Foxburg, Pa .; Vira L., who married Hubbard T. White, and lives at Jamestown ; Clara, wife of Dana P. Horton; and Harriet, unmarried.
Ichabod Thayer settled early on lot 10, where he resided many years. He afterwards removed to Westfield, where he now resides. He has 3 sons: Frank, a butter dealer ; Amos, a graduate of college, and a practicing lawyer in St. Louis, Mo .; and Joshua, a druggist, in Sherman.
James W. Robertson, from Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y., in 1826,
455
MINA.
settled on lot 52, now in the village of Findley's Lake, where, soon after, he commenced the mercantile business. In 1832, he removed to Meadville, Pa., and returned to Findley's Lake in 1839, where he is still engaged in trade. Mr. R. was married to Lucretia, daughter of Robert Corbett, and has 4 sons and 2 daughters, all residing in the town : Robert C., a partner in the store ; Amos T., George P., and Lee C .; Louisa Ann, wife of Samuel Davis ; and Flora J.
In the north-east part of the town, Gideon Barlow settled on lot 16, bought in 1826, where he still resides. He was supervisor of the town four years, and for many years a justice of the peace. He has two daughters : Clarissa, who married Milton B. Sheldon, in the town of Westfield ; and Persis, the wife, now the widow, of Henry Gill.
Charles Ross, from Chenango Co. to Genesee, and after two years to Sherman, in 1825, on lot 50 ; thence to Penn., and, after four years, to Mina, where he now resides. His wife, whose maiden name was Hannah Spencer, died in Sherman. Their children were Jane, LeRoy, Amy, Woodburn. Only Amy, wife of Jacob Orcutt, resides in Mina. Charles Ross married for a second wife Phebe Hager. Of their children, only Helena, wife of Oren Hopkins, is living. Mr. and Mrs. Ross are both living.
George Ross, son of Charles Ross, an early settler in Clymer, came to Mina, probably about 1830, and settled on lot 19, where he now resides. He has held the office of supervisor, and other town offices. His'sons are : Benjamin, in Penn .; Artemas, a physician, at Clymer ; and Smith, with his father on the farm.
David Declow, from Winfield, Herkimer Co., in 1834, settled in Mina, at the center of the town, near Mina Corners, where he now resides. He held the offices of postmaster, justice of the peace, and was for three years super- visor of the town. He had To children, of whom 2 sons and 5 daughters attained to mature age : Franklin, a dealer in cattle, and William, both reside in the town; Elizabeth, the wife of Elias V. Beach ; Jennett, the wife, first, of Edmund Buel ; second, of George Hooker, at Findley's Lake; Celana, wife of Horace Parsons, Esq .; Urana, the wife of David Richards; and Roxana, who married Jay Williams, of Sherman.
Alexander D. Holdridge was born at Plainfield, Otsego Co., June 24, 1813, and in 1841 settled near Mina Corners, and near the place where he now resides. He was married to Alineda Jane Park, of Winfield, N. Y. He has held, for several terms, the office of justice of the peace, has been a notary public, and, since 1869, to the present time, postmaster. His children, be- sides three who died young, are : Melissa, the wife of Job Skellie ; Chester P., who married Ruth Skellie; and Sarah, the wife of Jerome A. Buckley, and resides at Mayville.
Randall T. Holdridge, from Otsego Co., settled, in 1836, in the north part of this town, where he now resides. He was married to Lucy Saxton. They had 3 sons and 3 daughters: Isaac T., who married Mary Skellie, and resides in French Creek ; Saxton R., who died at about 25 years; Phineas, unmarried ;
456
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Elizabeth, wife of Robert Skellie, deceased ; Mary Louisa, wife of George Taylor, of State Line, [Ripley;] she died in the lunatic asylum, Utica ; Ade- laide, the wife of Edward Russell, on the Nicholas Combs farm.
Aaron Grimes came to Mina about 1836, and settled on lot 20, where now his son, Nahum N., resides, near Mina Corners. He now resides in the west part of the town.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.