History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 57
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 57
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
A large portion of the early settlers in the north-east part of Mina, and in the north-west part of Sherman, were from Kent county, England. Of those who settled in Mina, are the following :
James Ottaway, from Head Corn, England, in 1823, on lot 14. His chil- dren were James, William, Charles, Horace, John, Susan, Henry, and Horatio. Horatio, a brother of James, came with him and settled in the neighborhood ; had no family.
William Relf, from England, sailed from London, March, 1827, and had a passage of six weeks. He settled on lot 21; was a farmer, and also served the people of the town as surveyor. He had 5 sons : William, who returned to England with his wife ; John, who married Theodosia Nichols, and resides at Mina Corners ; George, who married Lucinda Skellie, and died on his father's homestead, on lot 21, where now his son Edward resides ; Joseph, who died unmarried ; Isaac, who married Prudence Thompson, and settled at Mina Corners, was a merchant, postmaster, and justice of the peace, and . now resides at Titusville, Pa.
George Relf, brother of William, came from England, (year not given,) and settled on lot 27, a mile south of Mina Corners, where John Barden now resides.
Edward Chambers, from England, about 1825, came with a family, and settled in Mina, on lot 14, where Deborah, widow of Joseph, his son, now resides. The other sons were : Frederic, in Ill .; William, who married Har- riet Mayborn, and is deceased ; and John, unmarried, deceased.
Edward Barden, from England, settled on lot 18, in the south-east part of the town, about 1838, where he now resides. He has two sons, Edward H., who married Mary Newell, and resides with his father ; and John, who mar- ried Mary Frits, and resides one mile south of Mina Corners.
Thomas Coveney came from England, and settled in Mina, in 1840. He died about 1846. His sons, Thomas R., William, and James, and a daugh- ter, Fanny, survived him.
[E. Buss and Ora B. Pelton settled in the north-east part of the town. See Supplement.]
Alexander Findley built the first saw-mill on the outlet of the lake, where the village now is, in 1815 or 1816, and a grist-mill about a year after. These mills were owned by him until his death. By the construction of the dam, several hundred acres of land were overflowed. This dam was several years afterwards swept away by a June freshet, and on the land which had again become uncovered, a luxuriant growth of herbage sprung up before a new dam was erected ; and the subsequent decomposition of the herbage under
457
MINA.
the water, caused sickness ; and the proprietor was indicted for nuisance. A protracted litigation ensued, which had not terminated at the time of his death ; and the suit, with the property, was inherited by his sons, Hugh and Carson ; and the mills were abandoned. Carson, a few years after, built a saw-mill 34 m. below, which he continued about 20 years, and sold to Robert A. Corbit, by whom it was continued about 5 years, when it was destroyed by fire. The upper mill property had been sold to Robert Corbit, who built new mills, and no unhealthfulness ensued. These mills passed from Mr. Corbit to his son, Robert A., who sold them to Wm. Selkregg, in 1864. In 187 1, Selkregg sold a half interest to Philip Speckernagle. In 1872, they built a steam saw-mill for sawing lumber and lath ; and in 1874, the old mill was converted into a shingle manufactory by Speckernagle and Bailey.
Nathan Morse built a saw-mill, about 1827, below Osborn's tannery. It was owned by Daniel Burt, afterwards by Isaac Relf, and was soon discon- tinned, and never rebuilt. About 1829, - Glass. built a saw-mill and a grist-mill, near the west line of the town, afterwards owned by - Green- man. They were never rebuilt. A saw-mill was built by Nicholas Combs and his son Charles, afterwards the property of Randall T. Holdridge, in the north part of the town. It ceased running 6 or 8 years ago. Edward Davi- son and - Greenman built in the north-west part of the town, about the year 1866 or '67, a steam saw-mill now owned by Emerson Chesley & Sons. It has a circular saw, and a saw for lath. Alexander D. Holdridge built a steam saw-mill, which commenced running Jan. 1, 1873, in connection with a shingle mill erected the year previous. The mill has a circular saw, and has the capacity for sawing 6,000 to 10,000 feet of boards per day of 10 hours. It has also a machine for sawing lath.
Alexander Findley, about the year 1827, erected a building for carding and cloth-dressing, which was kept in operation by himself, his sons, and their successors, until about twenty years ago, a little below the saw-mill near the tannery, and operated by the same power as the saw-mill.
The first store at Findley's Lake, was kept by Horace Brockway, in 1824 ; the next, probably, was that of James W. Robertson, about 1826, who is still there in trade. Wm. H. Greenman established a store, and sold out to H. W. Parsons, who sold back to Greenman, who, after an absence of several years, returned to Findley's Lake, and resumed trade in 1873. Present mer- chants are the following : Dry-goods-James W. Robertson, Wm. H. Green- man, Wm. Baker. Hardware-Babcock & Fenton. Druggists-Ross & Beach, successors to Wilson Brothers.
The first tavern in the town was kept at Mina Corners, in 1827, by Cullin Barnes. The first at Findley's Lake was kept by Lysias Tucker, about 1853. Robert A. Corbit purchased the property in 1854; enlarged the house, and continued the business about ten years ; and, after several changes, he again obtained the property, and is its present proprietor.
The first resident physician in the town was at Mina Corners. The first at Findley's Lake is said to have been Dr. Bowen. Later physicians, John W.
458
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Gray, David and Henry Wilson, and Charles J. Daniels. Present physicians -Wilson Brothers, and C. J. Daniels.
Horace W. Parsons commenced the cabinet-making business in 1872, and still continues the business, at Findley's Lake.
The first post-office at Findley's Lake was established about the year 1823, Horace Brockway, postmaster. It was subsequently discontinued, and in 1854 reestablished ; Robert A. Corbit, postmaster, who has been suc- ceeded by James W. Robertson, James D. Findley, Dr. John W. Gray, and Wm. Baker, present incumbent.
In 1869, Cloud & Pitts established, at the Lake, a shop for the manufac- ture of butter tubs and shingles. A planing-machine is connected. Ebenezer Skellie bought the establishment in 1871, and is the present proprietor.
Archibald Nixon was the first harness-maker, and has been succeeded by Frank Lewis, Henry Manuel, and George Hubbard. The business is at present carried on by George W. Eddy.
The first wagon-maker was Jesse B. Willard; afterward associated with Clark Barnes. Present wagon-makers-Willard & Barnes, and David Parsons.
A blacksmith shop was early erected at Findley's Lake, by Robert Corbit, and carried on by Charles Irish. Present blacksmiths-Azial Barnes, An- drew Bliss, Chauncey Skellie.
The first town-meeting in Mina, then comprising the townships No. 2, in ranges 14 and 15 [Mina and Sherman], was held at the school-house near Alexander Findley's, on the last Tuesday of April, 1824. The names of the town officers elected were as follows :
Supervisor-Nathaniel Throop. Town Clerk-Roger Haskell. Assessors - Aaron Whitney, Zina Rickard, and Otis Skinner. Collector-Isaac Hazen. Overseers of the Poor-Alexander Findley, Orlando Durkee. Commissioners of Highways-Benjamin Hazen, Jeremiah Knowles, Potter Sullivan. Con- stables-Isaac Hazen, Thomas Downey. Commissioners of Schools-Zina Rickard, Jeremiah Knowles, Alexander Findley. Inspectors of Schools- Daniel Waldo, Jr., Isaac Hazen, Samuel Dickerson.
The following is a list of the town officers of Mina chosen in 1833, at the first town-meeting after the division of the town by the formation of Sher- man, the year previous :
Supervisor-Joshua LaDue. Town Clerk-Simeon Park. Assessors -- Aaron Whitney, Zina Rickard, Joseph Palmer. Collector-John Francis. Overseers of the Poor-Stephen Yale, Dolphus Babcock. Commissioners of Highways-Aury Delong, Robert Corbit, Wm. Relf. Commissioners of Schools-Nahum Darrow, John Bartlett, Joseph Parmer. Inspectors of Schools -Simeon Park, John Francis, Isaac E. Hawley. Constables-John Francis, Cyrus Darrow, Aury Delong. Justices-Joshua LaDue, Hirah J. Spalding, Nathan Morse, Daniel S. Richmond.
Supervisors from 1824 to 1874.
Nathaniel Throop, 1824 to '27, '29-5 years. Robert Haskell, 1828. Otis Skinner, 1830, '31. Elias E. D. Wood, 1822. Joshua LaDue, 1833.
459
POLAND.
Joseph Palmer, 1834 to '37. Daniel Declow, 1838, '44, '59. Valorus Lake, 1839 to '42. "Jesse B. Moore, 1843. Wm. Putnam, 1845. Gideon Barlow, 1846 to '48, '52-4 years. Cyrus Underwood, 1849. Luke Grover, 1850, 56, '57. Edward Buss, 1851, '58, '61, '63. Alexander Eddy, 1853. Ora B. Pelton, 1854. George Ross, 1855. George Relf, 1860, '61, '64, '65, '67, '72-6 years. Thomas R. Coveny, 1862, '68. Franklin Declow, 1866, '71. Henry Q. Ames, 1869, '70. John E. Ottaway, 1873, '74.
CHURCHES.
The Methodist Episcopal Church and Society at Mina Corners was formed in 1858. It was legally constituted at a meeting held on the 18th of May, Rev. Orville L. Mead and Isaac - presiding. Alexander D. Holdridge, Wm. Baker, and Nahum N. Grimes, were elected trustees of the society. Among the first members of the church were : Thomas R. Coveny, Daniel Frits and wife, Alexander D. Holdridge and wife, Wm. Baker, Charity Chase, Lucy Holdridge, Jane Tryon, Lucinda Relf, Betsey Baker, Melissa Hold- ridge, David Declow and wife. Rev. Orville L. Mead is said to have been the first preacher in charge ; his successors, Wm. Deer, C. R. Chapman, J. W. Hill, A. L. Kellogg, R. D. Waltz, J. K. Mendenhall, Joseph Allen, L. E. Beardsley, and A. Bashline, present preacher.
The Methodist Episcopal Church in West Mina was formed about the same time as that at Mina Corners. Among the first members were : Urial Fenton, Azan Fenton, John Skellie, Alexander Skellie, Henry F. Moore, James F. Moore, and the wives of all of these. The preachers are presumed to have been about the same as those at the Corners.
The American Reformed Church [Dutch] was formed December 19, 1856. Among the first members were : Lorenzo Buck, George Hammer, Adam Hemelin, John George Barringer, Adam Merket, - - Ebert, and their wives, and Margaret B. Pfifer. Their first pastor was Rev. J. W. Dunewald. Later ministers, G. J. Renskers, Jacob Weber.
POLAND.
POLAND was taken from Ellicott, April 9, 1832, and comprises township 2, range 10. Its surface is a hilly upland. The Connewango creek, after making a short circuit in Cattaraugus county, reenters Chautauqua in the north-east corner of Poland, and crossing it diagonally in a south-westerly direction nearly through the center, leaves the town about 2 miles east of its south-west corner. The Cassadaga creek, from the north-west, enters the town centrally on the west line, and unites with the Connewango about half a mile north of the south line of the town. The soil is a clay and sandy loam.
460
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Original Purchases in Township 2, Range 10.
1808. August, Gideon Gilson, 51. James Culbertson, 58. '
1809. July, Stephen Hadley, 59. December, John Owen, 57.
1810. January, John Brown, 57. Colt and Marlin, 42.
1813. October, Nathan Lasall, 37, 45.
1814. March, Aaron Forbes, 57. May, James Hall, 54. Ebenezer Cheney, 58. Ira Owen, 20. Ethan Owen, 21. July, James Herriott, 34. 1816. March, Elias Tracy, 49.
1817. March, Elias Tracy, 41. Nicholas Dolloff, 33. July, Aaron Taylor, 26.
1823. June, John Strunk, 2d, 47. July, Samuel Foote, Jr., 8. August, Josiah Wheeler, 13. Leman Hitchcock, 14.
1824. May, Josiah and Miles Wheeler, 21. Oct., Flavel Woodward, 40.
1826. May, Josiah Walker, 4. David Tucker, 48. June, Elijah Ewer, 5. Josiah Wheeler, 21. Jeremiah Hotchkiss, 56. July, Melancthon W. Smith, 55. September, David Nevins, 55, 63. Josiah and Miles Wheeler, 20. John Montgomery, 47. November, Joseph Morse and Amasa Ives, 3. December, James Hall and James Frew, 17, 18, 26.
1827. May, Josiah Wheeler, 21. June, William W. Carpenter, 11. Isaac Stanbro, 62.
The earliest settlement in the south-east part of the county was made in this town by Dr. Thomas R. Kennedy and Edward Work, both of Mead- ville, Pa. The former, however, never became a resident of the county. To clear away the forest and prepare the land for cultivation was not their object, as will soon appear. From a biographical and historic sketch of Mr. Work, by Judge Foote, the following facts concerning their operations in the lumber business are obtained :
In 1805, Dr. Thomas R. Kennedy, of Meadville, Pa., between whom and Mr. Work there appears to have existed some business relations and an in- timate friendship, and who had married a niece of Joseph Ellicott, purchased of the Holland Land Company about 3,000 acres of unsurveyed land, in- cluding what is now called Kennedy, in the town of Poland, and proceeded to erect a double saw-mill at Kennedy, and subsequently in a leanto addition, a grist-mill, with one run of common rock mill-stones. The erection of the saw-mill was the first improvement in the south part of the county, in which no surveys, except township lines, had been made. The. only roads were Indian trails ; and the materials for erecting the mills, and the provisions for the hands, were brought in keel boats or canoes up the Allegany and Conne- wango rivers. The mill frame was raised in three days in October, 1805, by men who went thither in canoes, or by Indian trails, from Warren, Pa., or south of ft. A canoe load of provisions, whisky, etc., sent from Meadville, as was supposed, in due time for the hands on that occasion, did not arrive in season ; and being short of provisions, the men were living upon the flesh of a yearling heifer of Edward Shillito, and venison, green corn, and potatoes raised at the mills. The canoe, however, arrived in time for the men to cel- ebrate the completion of the raising with whisky.
Edward Shillito, who subsequently owned land, and resided on the north
461
POLAND.
side of the mouth of the outlet of Chautauqua lake, and who boarded Ken- nedy's workmen, was the first resident with a family at the mills. Edward Work, at times, visited these mills on horseback, by Indian trails, before roads were made. The boards sawed at these mills the first years, were rafted to Pittsburgh, and there stuck up until partially seasoned ; then put on flat bottomed boats, mostly made at the mills, and run to New Orleans. Mr. Work superintended the running of many of these boats, and the sale of the boards. The boatmen returned from New Orleans in vessels to Philadelphia or New York, and thence home on foot or on horseback, as there was then no way of coming up the Mississippi but by rowing a boat, or coming by land on foot or horseback, through Indian country, which was deemed unsafe. Dr. Kennedy was one of the most enterprising men in Western Pennsylvania, and died at Meadville, in 1813. [For more of the operations of these men in this business, see Lumber Trade in Ellico#, and Worksburg.]
In the south-west part of the town, Aaron Forbes settled on lot 57, bought in 1814, where he resided at the time of his death. Of his sons, Stephen is a merchant in Kennedy; Wesley resides on lot 53 ; Levi, on the old home- stead ; Francis, who owned a part of the old farm, and died there. Ezra Smith settled on lot 57, where he now resides. His mother, who lives with him, attended the "Old Settlers' Reunion," in June, 1874, in Jamestown, at the age of 100. His son William died in Carroll. Irwin, married, resides with his father. A daughter, Emily, was the wife of Samuel Holliday, and after her death, her sister Matilda was his second wife. Frances, the wife of a Mr. Vandusen, lives in Jamestown ; and Minerva, unmarried, resides with her parents. Luther Lydle, from Otsego Co., settled, about 1830, on lot 59, and died there. His son Lucius resides near the same place. A daughter, Maria, wife of James Wilson, lives on lot 52. Luther liyes on the home- stead, and his mother lives with him; and William is in the West. Elias Tracy settled on lot 49, where he died many years ago. His sons were Wayne, who owns the old farm, and resides in Ellicott ; Elias, who died at Works- burg, where his second wife now resides; Hatch, who lately resided in Ellery ; and Ralph, who lives in Carroll. Hannah, one of the daughters, is the wife of William H. Fenton, of Dexterville. Joshua Woodward, from Otsego Co., came about 1816 with his sons, Reuben, Royal, Lewis, Pierce, and Hiram ; of whom the last three reside in the town. Reuben, who settled in Ellicott, and Royal, are both deceased. Pierce was 4 years supervisor of Poland. Wellington, son of Reuben, resides in Kiantone, where he was supervisor five years.
In the west part of the town, Horace Hartson, from Otsego Co., settled on lot 60, where he lately resided. He lives with his son William, on lot 51. Another son, Chancellor, resides in California.
In the north-west part of the town, Amos Fuller, after a residence on lot 46, removed to lot 63, where his son Arad lives; and now resides near the residence of his son. His son Danforth is in Illinois; and two daughters died young. Jeremiah Hotchkiss settled, about 1830, on lot 55, where he
462
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
died about 1869. His son Fordyce, deceased, had a son killed in the late war. Abner resides in town ; Jeremiah, Jr., at Dexterville. Daughters : Maria, widow of Alonzo Sears, lives on the homestead of her father; Charity, wife of a Mr. Gifford, died in Busti. Elihu Gifford settled on lot 55, where he now resides. A daughter married Timothy Luce, and lives in Ellington ; another is the wife of Charles Case; and another is the wife of Jeremiah Hotchkiss, in Dexterville. David Tucker, from Oneida Co., settled early on lot 48. He married a Miss Montgomery, and had a number of children : William, who settled on lot 46; a daughter, the wife of Orange A. Fargo, on the homestead of her father ; and others, residence not ascertained. Mr. Tucker was for several years supervisor of Poland, and subsequently removed to South Valley, Cattaraugus county.
In the north part of the town, Eliab Wheelock, from Oneida Co. to Poland, settled on lot 39, where he died. His sons, William, Orrin E., Horace F., Francis H., and a daughter Eliza, the wife of Wm. Camp, all reside in town. Norton B. Bill, a native of New England, came from Genesee Co., about 1830, and settled on lot 46, and died there. A daughter, Emily, married Harvey Forbes, and died in Poland. Malvina married Arad Fuller. Ruth married Darius Wyman. Amos was married to Artemesia Smith, and lives on the homestead of his father. Julia, to Emery Woodward ; and Mary, to Miles Tracy.
In the central part of the town, Charles T. Wolcott, from Madison Co. to Carroll, and thence to Poland, settled on lot 37, and has lately removed to Gerry. His children are : Jane, wife of Henry W. Gage; Theodore, who married Sarah Briggs; Otis, married, and lives in Penn .; Willard R., who married Sarah Emery, and resides in Gerry, and owns and runs a cheese factory. Nelson E. Cheney came to the county with his father, Ebenezer Cheney, and settled about 1830 on lot 37. He married Hannah Merrill, of Carroll. A son, Emery, is a physician at Randolph. Nelson, educated a physician, is on the farm with his father. Newell, a twin brother of Nelson, captain of the 9th cavalry, served 3 years in the late war. Addison H. Phillips settled finally on lot 28. His sons Cassius and Henry and two daughters all reside in town. Mr. Phillips has for several years held the office of justice of the peace.
In the east part, Amasa Ives, from Madison Co., settled on lot 3, bought in 1826, and died in town. A daughter married Joseph Morse, who is deceased. Another, who was the wife of Henry N. Hunt, is not living ; he resides in Poland. Obadiah Jenks, from Essex Co., settled on lot 20, and died in town. A son, La Fayette, resides in town. James M. lives in Ellington ; Obadiah, Jr., in Penn. A daughter, the wife of Eli Taylor, resides in town. Joseph Clark, an early settler on lot 20, kept a tavern many years near H. N. Hunt's saw-mill. His sons were Joseph Latimer, David, Joel, Egbert R., Adelbert, and Clyne. Joel keeps a hotel at Kennedy. John Miller, about 1831, settled on lot 5, where he still resides. The land is now owned by Harvey Morse. A daughter, Caroline, deceased, was the
463
POLAND.
wife of Charles L. Stratton. Alzina is the wife of Harvey Morse. Orilla married James Crandall, and lives in Ellicott. Abby married - Correll, and lives in Pennsylvania.
In the south-east part of the town, Elihu Barber settled on lot 3. His son, Guy C., lives on a part of the homestead lot. Horace lives in Conne- wango, Cattaraugus Co., and has several daughters married, who reside in the county-three in Jamestown. Jabez Waite, from Blood's Corners, N. Y., came to Poland in 1831 or 1832, with his family. His sons were Ansel B., Walter B., Galusha M., and John B. Galusha M. resides on lot 3 ; Ansel B., on lot 11. Walter and John are both deceased. Of his daughters, one is the wife of A. H. Phillips ; another, of Horace Frederick, of Randolph ; another, of - Park.
The first saw-mill in this town, and the first in the south part of the coun- ty, was that of Thomas R. Kennedy in this town, built in 1805, which has been mentioned. This mill property was sold, by the heirs of Dr. Ken- nedy, to Richard P. Marvin, of Jamestown, and by him to Guy C. Irvine and Robert Falconer, who built the first grist-mill in that place. It was sub- sequently rebuilt by Jones and Stilwell, of Jamestown. It next passed into the hands of Seth W. Chandler, who sold it to Daniel Griswold and Wm. T. Falconer, who rebuilt it in 1866, and sold it, January 1, 1871, to Welling- ton H. Griffith. It was burned within a year, and a new one was erected, on the same site, by Mr. Griffith, its present proprietor.
Samuel Foote and Holbrook built a saw-mill and a grist-mill at Waterboro', in the north-east part of the town. The grist-mill was burned, and the saw-mill never rebuilt. Miller and Harris built a steam saw-mill in the east part of the town-discontinued. A saw-mill was built on Mud creek by Isaac Young, about 1820, it is supposed, and sold, by him, to Daniel Wheeler, and by him to Henry N. Hunt, and by Hunt to Albert Russell, and is discontinued. Josiah Miles and Daniel Wheeler built a saw- mill near Connewango, which has been rebuilt, and is now owned by Charles Clark. John Merrill built on Mud creek, lot 3, a saw-mill, and sold it to Elihu Barber, about 1831 ; it was rebuilt by his heirs, and is discontinued. Nicho- las Dolloff built a saw-mill on the Connewango, in the south part of the town. A mill has been continued there until the present time. Present proprietor, . Richard P. Marvin.
There is a planing-mill at Kennedy in the saw-mill of Falconer & Nichols, who also have a stave-factory. A shingle machine was built on Mud creek by Alonzo Adams, now owned by A. B. Waite.
The first town-meeting was held on Tuesday, March 5, 1833. The follow- ing are the names of the officers elected :
Supervisor-Nathaniel Fenton. Town Clerk-Nelson Rowe. Justices --- Emory F. Warren, Henry McConnell, Samuel Hitchcock, Melancthon W. Smith. Assessors-Melancthon W. Smith, Elmore G. Terry, Samuel Hitch- cock. Overseers of Poor-David Tucker, Cyrus Coe. Com'rs of Highways -Abner Barlow, Isaac Stanbro, Amasa Ives. Collector-Seth M. Avery.
464
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Com'rs of Schools-Henry McConnell, Norton B. Bill, Linus Mott. Inspec- tors of Schools-Elmore G. Terry, Nelson Rowe, Emory F. Warren. Con- stables-Seth M. Avery, John Andrews, Elias Tracy, Jr., Joshua E. Phillips, John I. Simpson.
Supervisors from 1833 to 1875.
Nathaniel Fenton, 1833. Sumner Allen, 1834 to 1842, and '46, '64-11 years. Woodley W. Chandler, 1843, '44. Henry N. Hunt, 1845, '54, '55. David Tucker, 1847, '48. Pierce Woodward, 1849, '50, '57, '58. Eliakim Crosby, 1851, '52. Melancthon W. Smith, 1853. Galusha M. Wait, 1856. Wm. T. Falconer, 1859 to '63. Daniel Griswold, 1865 to '68. Harvey S. Elkins, 1869 to '72. Josiah H. Monroe, 1873, '74. Amos Bill, 1875.
Dr. Samuel Foote, brother of Judge E. T. Foote, is said to have been the first physician in Poland ; and Dr. Nelson Rowe to have come next. Dr. Wm. Smith came about 1840, and died at Kennedy. His son, Sumner A., was a druggist and postmaster at Kennedy, and served three years in the late war. His son Henry died in the late war. Three other sons reside in the town. Present physicians-Drs. James H. Monroe, Ingraham, J. W. Button, and Early.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
HENRY ABBOT settled at Kennedy about 1850, and kept a temperance hotel. He had several sons : Alexander F., in California ; Liberty C., who was a lieut. of cavalry in the late war; he is now at Holly Springs, Miss. ; has been superintendent of public instruction in Marshall county, and is at present chancellor of the 9th judicial district; Francis M., lately a state senator in Miss. ; Rollin and Eugene, in Penn. A daughter, Emeline, married Abner Darling, of Busti, now in Kalamazoo, Mich. Another, Charlotte, is the wife of Myron Waters, Warren, Penn.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.