History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 58
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 58
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
SUMNER ALLEN, son of Phineas Allen, and brother of Gen. Horace Allen, was born in Otsego Co., Feb. 3, 1804, and came to Poland in 1818, and was married, in 1827, to Fluvia, daughter of Col. Nathaniel Fenton, and settled on lot 58, where he still resides. He held for several years the office of supervisor of Poland, and several other town offices. He had by his first wife 4 children : Sumner D., married, and resides in Kansas ; Sarah Jane, wife of Flint Blanchard, of Ellicott ; Jason F., who died in' Illinois ; Delia, wife of Thomas A. Shaw, of Jamestown. Mr. A. married, second, Mrs. Harriet Evans, who had by him 2 sons, both dead.
ELIAKIM CROSBY, a native of Oneida Co., removed, in 1829, from Alle- gany Co. to Chautauqua, and settled on lot 37, in this town. He there kept a public house ; was postmaster ten years ; town clerk, about the same num- ber of years ; and a justice of the peace, sixteen years. He was supervisor in 1851 and 1852, and held at different times nearly every town office. He was married, first, to Lucy Ann Baxter, and had 5 children : Louisa, wife of John N. Early, Allegany Co .; Henry, who married Ann Eliza Taylor ; Alonzo, who married Mary Jane Hitchcock; Cornelia, wife of Charles B. Albert, merchant of Jamestown ; and Erastus, who married Mrs. Mary
465
POLAND.
Davis, and is principal of the Union School in Tideoute, Pa. After the death of his wife, he married, second, Angeline Emery, by whom he had 6 children : Walter S., who married Mary Kingsbury, and resides in Minnesota; Ellen A., wife of Wellington W. Seymour ; Freeman H., an ensign in the U. S. navy, educated at Annapolis ; Kate L. ; Anna M. ; and Mabel F.
ABIAL ELKINS, a native of Peacham, Vt., came from Canada to Ellicott, and removed thence to Kennedy, where he worked many years on the mills. He was also for many years a justice of the peace. He resided here until about 1844, when he went on business to Pittsburgh, and has never since been heard from. He is supposed to have been murdered. His wife died at Kennedy, in 1868 (?) They had 11 children, of whom 6 were twins. Edward, a twin brother, resides in town ; the other, Edwin, in Wisconsin, served during the late war. William A., another brother, also served in the war, and died of disease while in the service. Harvey S., a brother of the above mentioned, resides in the town; was supervisor four years. The daughters living, are Maria, wife of Seth Haight, and resides in town ; Ruby A., wife of Eli Shultz, and resides in Mitchell Co., Iowa.
COL. NATHANIEL FENTON, from Otsego Co., about 1823, settled on lot 58. He was born in New England, in 1763, married to Rachel Fletcher, and had 5 children :. 1. Orrilla, wife of Wm. Smith, an early settler of Ellery ; both deceased. 2. Fanny, wife of Gen. Horace Allen. 3. Elsie, wife of Cyrus Coe, of Ellicott ; both deceased. 4. Richard F., who married Sally Ann Tew, of Otsego Co. ; and after her death, a second wife. 5. Flu- vanna, who married Sumner Allen, of Poland, and is deceased.
DANIEL GRISWOLD was born in Cambridge, N. Y., Sept. 28, 1788. He served an apprenticeship at the clothier's trade [cloth-dressing] in Benning- ton, Vt., where he was married, May 25, 1815, to Mary Hills, who was born Nov. 25, 1795. He removed, about 1817, to Genesee Co .; and about the year 1831 to Chautauqua, and settled in Poland, lot 24, on the Ellington town line, where he died in Feb., 1853. Mrs. G. died Sept. 24, 1844. They had 6 children : Mary L., who married Morris Lewis, and resides at Milwau- kee, Wis. Hiram H., who died at 22. Sarah, wife of John C. Davis, Davis- burg, Mich. Fanny, wife of Harvey Forbes, and lives in Missouri. Alvira, who married, first, William Isham, and after his death, Jefferson Coffeen. Daniel, who succeeded to the homestead. He married Martha, daughter of John Townsend, of Carroll, Nov. 18, 1868. He removed in 1871 to Sala- manca ; thence in 1873 to Jamestown, where he now resides. While a resi- dent of Poland, Mr. G. represented his town four years [1865 to 1868] in the board of supervisors. He had two children, Grace and Hugh, who died in infancy, and Daniel Townsend, living.
.
SAMUEL HITCHCOCK, from Otsego Co., in 1817, settled on lot 51, and died at Cincinnati in 1833. His children were John C., deceased ; Adelia, widow of John Townsend, of Carroll; Harmony, wife, first of John Cameron; whose son, Winfield S., served during the late war, and accompanied Gen. Sherman on his long march ; and John E., another son, also in the war, who
30
466
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
was killed at Spottsylvania Court House. Harmony, after the death of Mr. Cameron, was the wife of Royal Mead, and died in 1864, aged 52. William, second son of Samuel Hitchcock, died at 8; Barlin, at 23. Abigail is the wife of Joseph W. Clark; Eunice, the wife of Simeon Covey, in Illinois; Asenath, wife of Levi Covey, in Minnesota ; Amelia, who married Jacob C. Brown, of Ellington ; and William L., who died at 3.
CHURCHES.
The First Baptist Church of Kennedy was organized with twenty-two mem- bers, January 30, 1836. Their house of worship was erected in 1868. The first pastor was Rev. B. Braman; the present one [1873] is Rev. H. A. Conrad.
Poland Free Church, at Kennedy, was organized about the year 1857; and the church edifice was erected the same year.
Levant Wesleyan [Methodist] Church, in the west part of the town, was organized [date not obtained] by Rev. Emory Jones, the first pastor. The meeting-house was erected in 1872. Ministers in 1873 were Daniel Ball and Emory Jones.
POMFRET.
THE town of Pomfret was formed from Chautauqua, March 11, 1808. It comprised the roth and IIth ranges of townships with the present towns of Pomfret and Dunkirk in the 12th range. This was the first division of the county after its organization. The north part of the town is comparatively level ; the south part is a rolling upland, the higher being 700 or 800 feet above the north border. It is drained chiefly by the Canadaway creek, which enters the town from the east, nearly 3 miles from its south-east corner, and passes through the town northerly and north-westerly to Lake Erie, about 2 miles above Dunkirk. The Little Canadaway runs through the western part of the town, in a north-westerly direction, entering Lake Erie in the north- eastern corner of Portland. From 1830, Pomfret comprised townships 5 and 6 in the 12th range, until 1859, when Dunkirk was formed, leaving two tiers of lots from township 6 attached to Pomfret. The village of Fredonia was principally in township 6, and extended north into the second tier of lots. Hence, in order to keep the entire village within the town of Pomfret, the existing unequal division of territory was unavoidable. Pomfret has an area of 28,899 acres, and Dunkirk only 6,632. The latter, however, has the larger population ; the increase of which will long continue to increase the present inequality.
Original Purchases in Township 5, Range 12.
1805. March, Eliphalet Burnham, 6. Zattu Cushing, 16. Samuel Davis, 16. Samuel Perry, 8. April, Augustus Burnham, 7.
1
467
POMFRET.
1806. June, Philo Orton, 48. August, Philo Orton, 40. September, Elijah Risley, 32, 33.
1807. June, Benj. and Isaac Barnes, 40.
1808. April, Samuel Berry, 24. October, Thomas Bull, 17.
1809. January, Thomas Bull, 18. April, Thomas Warren, 55. June, Philo Orton, 39. August, Augustus Burnham, I. Sept., Jas. Morgan, 31. Jeremiah Rood, 31. Joseph Coates, 3. Nov., Cushing and Holmes, 63.
1810. January, Daniel Barnes and Oliver Woodcock, 47. Philo Orton, Simeon Fox, 47. September, Philo Orton, 56.
18II. March, Stephen Porter, 41. Ammi Williams, 49. Israel Lewis, 13. April, Wm. Hinds, 62. August, Joseph Webster, 61. November, Zattu Cushing, 25.
1812. December, Stephen Barrett, 3.
1813. February, Amos Sage, 54. May, Philo Orton, 64. December, Erastus H. Clarke, 64.
1814. June, Richard Kelly, 42. November, James Hale, 42.
1815. January, Elisha Webster, 41. September, Benj. Barrett, 16.
1816. June, Abiram Orton, 5. July, Zattu Cushing, 62. October, Benjamin Perry, 5.
1817. February, Thomas Bull, 15, 6. March, Thomas Clark, 13. April, Eli Webster, 34. May, James Norton, 61, 64. Jonathan Sprague, 49. Ira Seeley, 34. Joseph Munger, 34. June, Standish Rood, 38. August, Luther Harmon, 53. October, Jonas Litch, 53. Matthew W. Cassity, 54. November, Rensselaer Crosby, 52. Jonathan Sprague, 57.
1818. January, Benj. White, 60. July, Seth Risley, 28. August, Allen Bills, 28. September, Robert Gardner, 52. October, Leverett Todd, 45. Reuben Bartholomew, 45.
1819. April, Asa Rood, 37. July, Parley Munger, 42. September, John Hilton, 38. November, Edmund W. Barlow, 37.
1821. October, Benjamin Perry, 13. Robert Mellen, 44.
1822. May, Timothy Turk, 43. Sept., Horace and Wm. Risley, 27.
1824. February, Thomas A. Osborne, 29. July, Ezekiel Johnson, 21. October, Isaac Bussing, 35.
1825. December, Joel H. Johnson, 5.
1826. October, Marcus Miller, 35.
1827. February, Lemuel & Rowland Porter, 51. March, Calvin Hut- chinson, 57. May, Jacob Turk, 43. July, Samuel Barlow, 54.
1828. March, Watts Wilson, 37.
1829. January, Porter S. Benjamin, 46. June, Orris Crosby, 43, 44.
1831. January, Leverett Todd, 45.
Original Purchases in Township 6, now in Pomfret.
1803. December, Thomas McClintock, 8, 14, 20.
1804. August, Low Miniger, 26. Oct., Zattu Cushing, 28, 29, 33.
1810. May, Benjamin Barnes, Jr., 15.
1814. March, James Mark, 25.
1815. May, Justus Adams, 38.
1816. December, Sylvanus Marsh, 38.
182I. December, Wm. Gates, 35. George D. Gates, 35.
1822. June, Pierson Crosby, 26. August, Thomas A. Osborne, 35. October, David Elliott, 30. Nathan Hempsted, 37. Alva Elliott, 34. Anson & Calvin Hutchinson, 34.
468
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
1823. September, Nathaniel Crosby, 31.
1824. October, Pierson Crosby, 26.
1825. Angust, Isaac A. Lovejoy and others, 30. Zattu Cushing and others, 30. Stephen Wilson and others, 30.
The first contract on record for land in Pomfret, was that of Thomas Mc- Clintock. He located the land on which most of the village of Fredonia stands, Dec., 1803. The first three settlers there were McClintock, David Eason, and Low Miniger, a narrative of whose removal and settlement has been given elsewhere. [See Early Settlement of the County, p. 75.] In March, 1805, Eliphalet Burnham bought on lot 6, tp. 5; Zattu Cushing and Samuel Davis, lot 16; Samuel Perry, lot 8; and in April, Augustus Burnham, lot 7-all in tp. 5. In 1806 and 1807, the three earliest settlers, McClintock, Eason, and Miniger, sold out their lands to Hezekiah Barker, Zattu Cushing, and others, and removed to Westfield. Zattu Cushing came to Fredonia in February, 1805, bringing his family and goods with two ox-teams and sleds. He then had five children : Walter, Milton, Zattu, Lydia, afterwards the second wife of Dr. White, and Lucinda, afterwards the wife of Wm. Barker. They were three weeks in performing the journey. At Buffalo they started upon the ice, designing to go on the shore before dark ; but night and a tempest came unexpectedly upon them. They feared to proceed, as there were points at which the water was not covered by the ice. They put the oxen upon the side to break off the winds, and covered themselves up on the sleds to pass the night. Having a dinner-horn, Mr. Cushing blew it at in- tervals, thinking it might be heard by some settler. About one o'clock, two men who heard the horn, came with lanterns, and piloted them ashore near Eighteen Mile creek. Before daylight the ice was so broken up as to have rendered escape impossible. He brought with him four cows ; and among his goods were a barrel of salt and a large quantity of apple seeds. Two men came with him to assist him in chopping.
On his arrival here, he found that the land which he had had in view, had been taken up by Thomas McClintock. He found near the present residence of David J. Matteson, an unfinished log house, which had neither floor, door, nor chinking between the logs. For a floor he covered the ground with hemlock boughs, and remained there until he got an article of the farm now owned by Samnel Marsh, and built a log house. The only food he could procure for his cattle was browse. The only other families within the present limits of Pomfret and Dunkirk, were those of Thomas McClintock and David Eason. Later in the same year, Benjamin Barrett, Samuel Geer, and Benj. Barnes settled in the vicinity. Seth Cole, who, with his family, accompanied Mr. Cushing on his journey from the east, settled near the mouth of Canada- way creek. Judge Cushing had cleared about 50 acres upon his farm prior to the fall of 1807. He then sold out to Mr. Marsh, father of the present occupant, and bought ont McClintock's improvement ; and thus secured the place he had selected for a home in his solitary journey through the wilder- ness, years before.
469
POMFRET.
In 1806 and 1807, the settlement in the vicinity of Fredonia, then called Canadaway, received a considerable accession to its inhabitants. Hezekiah Barker, a native of Rhode Island, settled within the limits of the present cor- poration, in the fall of 1806. The beautiful common, in the center of the village, was a donation from him to the corporation. In 1807, Richard Wil- liams, from Madison Co., came, and joined Hezekiah Barker in building a grist-mill. There were then but few. families here; among them, besides those mentioned, were Benj. Barrett, Seth Cole [near the lake,] Samuel Geer, and Hezekiah Turner. About fifty more came that year. Mr. Williams and Mr. Barker commenced building a grist-mill, and went to Pennsylvania, 80 miles, with an ox-team, after the mill-stones, and to Batavia after the mill- irons, making the trip in 21 days. In November, 1808 or 1809, when the mill was nearly completed, and many were expecting to get their wheat and corn ground in a few days, the mill-dam was swept away by a freshet. The pros- pect now was, that they must continue to get grinding done at Black Rock or Erie, or pound their grain in a stump mortar, which was a cavity burned in the top of a stump or in the end of a large block. But they volunteered to assist in rebuilding the dam, and the mill was soon in operation.
Mr. Williams lived the first summer and autumn in a log house about 12 feet square, with a family of 15 or upwards, while the mill was building ; and as the mill was about 2 miles from the house, Mrs. Williams usually carried the workmen's dinners to them on horseback. To assist some of their rela- tives in their removal from Madison county, Mrs. Williams started in Decem- ber on horseback, with a child a little more than a year old, and returned in a sleigh with the families of Col. Bartoo and Samuel Berry. Mrs. Berry was a sister of Mrs. Williams. There were two families at Cattaraugus creek ; and John E. Howard kept a tavern at Silver Creek. There was not a vessel on Lake Erie, except one on the Canada side ; and salt and groceries for the settlers were brought from Buffalo in scows. Mr. Williams was a member of the Baptist church from the time of its organization in 1808. He removed in 1815, to Portland. [See biographical sketch in history of Portland, where additional exploits of Mrs. Williams are recorded.]
In 1809 came Leverett Barker, who established the first tannery in the county; and Dr. Squire White, both of whom became distinguished citizens, and are elsewhere noticed.
The early settlement of the town of Pomfret was chiefly on and north of the north line of township 5, range 12. The greater part of the village of Fredonia is north of that line, in township 6. Pomfret embraced both town- ships 5 and 6, until the formation of the town of Dunkirk, in 1859. In forming this town, the two south tiers of lots in township 6 were left in Pom- fret ; the latter thus retaining an area of 28,899 acres, and the former con- taining only 6,632 acres. The reasons for so unequal a division of territory probably are-First, because most of the village of Fredonia was in township No. 6, extending north into the 2d tier of lots. Secondly, the greater pros- pective increase of the population of Dunkirk would soon make it equal in
470
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
numbers to the old town. The numbers of the lots of township 6, lying in Pomfret, are the following : Ist tier, 1, 8, 14, 25, 30, 34, 37. 2d tier, 2, 9, 15, 21, 26, 31, 35, 38.
The first town-meeting in Pomfret, for the election of town officers, was held at Elisha Mann's, in 1808, pursuant to the act of the legislature. The meeting was opened by prayer by the Rev. John Spencer. Ozias Hart was chosen moderator. The names of the officers elected are the following :
Supervisor-Philo Orton. Town Clerk-John S. Bellows. Assessors- Richard Williams, Justin Hinman, John E. Howard. Com'rs of Highways -Samuel Berry, Abiram Orton, John Mack. Overseers of Poor-Zattu Cushing, Orsamus Holmes. Constable and Collector-George W. Pierce.
Voted, that the next meeting be held at Wm. Gould's.
1809. Meeting at William Gould's barn. The following officers were elected :
Supervisor-Philo Orton. Town Clerk-John S. Bellows. Assessors- Orsamus Holmes, John E. Howard, - Barnes. Overseers of Poor-Zattu Cushing, Orsamus Holmes. [Other officers not ascertained.] Next meeting to be held at Wm. Gould's barn.
At a special town-meeting Dec. 10, 1811, it was voted, that townships I and 2, in ranges ro and 11, be set off for a new town ; and that tps. 3 and 4 of ranges 10 and 11, be set off for another new town. This was accordingly . done by the next legislature, at a second session, in June, 1812. The first above described town was Ellicott ; the other Gerry. At the same session, Hanover was formed, including the present town of Villenova.
Supervisors from 1808 to 1875.
Philo Orton, 1808 to 1818. Leverett Barker, 1819 to '22, '29, '45, '46- 7 years. Abiram Orton, 1823 to '25., Benj. Douglas, 1826 to '28. Geo. A. French, 1830 to '33. Orrin McClure, 1834. Elijah Risley, Jr., 1835. Eli- sha Norton, 1836, 1840 to '44, '56, '59, '60-9 years. Pearson Crosby, 1837. Squire White, 1838, '39. Daniel W. Douglas, 1847. Rosell Greene, 1848, '49. Wm. Risley, 1850. Alva H. Walker, 1851 to '53. Hiram F. Smith, 1854. Abner W. Camp, 1855. Edmund Day, 1857, '58. Orson Stiles, 1861, '62, '65. Henry B. Benjamin, 1863, '64. Horace White, 1866. George D. Hinckley, 1867, '68. John P. Hall, 1869. Franklin Burritt, 1870 to '72, '74. Harmanus C. Clark, 1873.
A sketch of the early settlement of Fredonia and vicinity, written by Wm. Risley, Esq., was presented to the "Old Settlers' Reunion," at Fredonia, in 1873. It was read with interest at the time of its publication; and being deemed worthy of preservation, it is transferred to this history :
"Elijah Risley, Sr., removed from Cazenovia to Canadaway, in March, 1807. He stopped at Buffalo, in a log tavern. He came on the ice to Cat- taraugus creek ; the rest of the way by the usually traveled road. He stop- ped a week with Hezekiah Barker, in a log house, a little above Colburn's mill. During this week, an Indian came in, badly wounded by a bear that he had shot, a little way up the creek. Supposing the bear nearly dead, the
471
POMFRET.
Indian went to finish his work with his tomahawk ; but he was roughly han- dled by the bear, and barely escaped to crawl to the only place for help. Mr. Barker and Elijah Risley, Jr., started after the bear, and found him with the Indian's gun and other weapons beside him. Bruin was soon killed and brought in. Nearly 15 years afterward, I saw the old Indian, badly disfigured, still bearing the marks of his battle with the bear.
" The flats on the Canadaway creek were timbered with black-walnut, but- ternut, basswood, elm and ash, and in summer were covered with a luxuriant growth of wild onions and leeks. Near the creek might, here and there, be seen a cabin about 6 feet square, covered with bark, whither the Indians re- sorted during the hunting season. The upland, called the ridge, was timbered with oak, chestnut, white-wood, cucumber, and hickory, with small trees of wormwood, and sassafras; some of the latter being 6 inches through. These have been so completely killed out, that not a sprout is to be seen.
"The first road crossed the creek near Colburn's mill, the creek being there easily forded. This road led across to what is called Webster street, and to the south road through Portland. In 1809, this road was laid out where it remained, through the village. Elijah Risley, Sr., built the first bridge across Canadaway creek. The first school was taught by Samuel Berry in a log school-house near Main street, on the corner opposite Howard's bookstore. The first post-office was in the dwelling of Samuel Bellows, the postmaster, opposite Lester Stone's house. The mails were brought once in two weeks by a man on foot. The gas on the creek was discovered by the burning of drift wood lying over the water. Stones were laid in the creek to the top of the water, and dry sticks laid on; and, when burning, the gas would flash as the bubbles rose. This was called, 'burning the creek.'
" Pomfret was formed in 1808. Philo Orton was the first supervisor ; Samuel Berry the first town clerk, and also the first justice. At this time, Hezekiah Barker had built his log tavern where the Taylor House now is ; also the first saw-mill above the bridge on Main street. In 1810, Mr. Barker built the first grist-mill below the bridge. [Mr. Risley, though gen- erally unusually accurate, probably dates the building of the grist-mill a year or two too late.] A singular occurrence happened. A mill-stone being broken, one half was thrown across the bridge into the saw-mill. Richard Williams built a log house for a tavern near where the Pemberton House stands.
" The first grocery was opened by Elijah Risley, Jr., in a small room on the side hill opposite Mrs. Beart's dwelling. Thomas Kapple established the first shoe-shop adjoining, and the first tannery on the opposite side of the road. About this time the mails were carried once a week on horseback from Buffalo to Erie. Richard Williams had the contract. When others failed from sickness or other causes, Mrs. Williams would carry the mail to Buffalo, and swim her horse through Cattaraugus creek.
" Dr. Allen was the first physician; Asa French the first blacksmith, his shop on the corner of Chestnut and Main streets. Asa Seymour was the first tailor, his shop on Seymour street. John Swain had the first meat market, opposite the Pemberton House.
"In 1809 or 'ro, commissioners were appointed to locate the county seat. There was about half an acre cleared on the east end of the common, (west side of the creek,) and to the great displeasure of the people here, the com- missioners did not even stop to look at the place that had been prepared with so much labor, but went on directly to Mayville, and located it there.
-
472
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
It was supposed they were influenced by the Holland Land Company, and selected a place where the land could not otherwise be sold.
"July 4, 1812, a shocking accident occurred at the village celebration of Independence. A cannon which had been overcharged and fired a number of times, was finally nearly filled with pounded weeds and stone. It was proposed to fire it off by a slow match; but a foolhardy man, named Gilmore, stepped up with a lighted match, exclaiming : 'God Almighty can't split it !' In an instant his head was nearly severed from his body by a fragment of the shattered cannon.
"Immediately after the war, Jesse Handy came from Canada, and built the house and kept the tavern where John Crocker now is. He also had a store in a part of the building where Elias Johnson now resides. David Dixon afterwards sold goods in the same place. In 1815, Hale and Risley built the store, or a part of it, now occupied by L. B. Grant, and brought on a stock of goods. Moseley W. and Thomas G. Abell bought of Baiker the tavern stand and about 60 acres adjoining, and built the house that was moved off to give place for the brick structure now occupied by the Taylor brothers. The Abells were very successful in the tavern, and were largely interested in the line of stages between Buffalo and Erie. M. W. Abell was postmaster a number of years.
"In 1816, Joseph and Ralph Plumb brought on a stock of goods, which were the first goods landed at Dunkirk, (called Chadwick's Bay.) Wooden horses were placed in the water, and planks laid on them to the vessel. Their store was in a building built by Fellows and Woleben where the Wole- ben block stands. The first paper printed in this village was worked off in an upper room of that building, by Carpenter and Hull, and called Chautau- qua Gazette. Joseph Plumb built the house so long the residence of the late John Crane. At this time the creek was about the middle of the village ; and the inhabitants on the west side expected the village to grow up on that side, as about every interest had started there. But in this they were dis- appointed.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.