History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 61

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 61


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


488


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


county as manufacturer of pearl ashes from salts of lye, or "black salts," the principal cash commodity of the early settlers. In 1836, he removed to Hamlet, in the town of Villenova, where, in company with John Z. Saxton, of Fredonia, he commenced the mercantile business and the manufacture of pot and pearl ashes, which business he afterwards pursued on his own account for many years, and until his death, in 1855. His son, Charles L. Mark, continued the mercantile business successfully at the above place for a few years ; but, since 1861, has been a resident of Fredonia. He had three other sons : Dr. Andrew J. Mark, who died at Clymer, N. Y., in 1860; Prof. Geo. A. Mark, who resides at Hillsdale, Mich. ; and John E. Mark, at Buffalo.


JACOB MORIAN was born in Germany, March 22, 1782, and came to the United States in 1801 or 1802. He stopped the first year in Philadelphia, and 'then removed to Lackawanna, Penn., where he was married to Lydia Van Schoter. In 1807, he removed with his wife and two children to Dans- ville, Steuben Co., N. Y. During his residence there, he served 6 months in the war of 1812. In 1826, he came to Chautauqua Co .; and after a brief residence in each of the towns of Hanover, Sheridan, and Dunkirk, he settled, in 1830, in the north-west part of the town of Pomfret, on lot 34 of tp. 6, where he died Dec. 7, 1862. His son Alexander resides on the same place, at the railroad station bearing his name. The children of Jacob Mor- ian were : 1. William, who died at 5. 2. Katharine, born in 1807, and resides in Dunkirk, unmarried. 3. Anthony, born in 1809, and married, first, Julia Ann Becker, of Dansville, in 1831, by whom he had 10 children, besides one that died in infancy : William, who married Marilla Bronson, has 3 daughters, and resides in Cherry Creek ; Katharine, wife of Henry D. Slay- ton, Berlin, Wis., and has a daughter ; Nancy, who was married, first, to Charles Frost; second, to Albert W. Knapp, Cherry Creek, and has a daugh- ter ; Jane, wife of Frank Winchester, Ellery ; Martha, wife of George A. S. Kent, Cherry Creek; had 3 sons ; Thomas H., who married Harriet Warner, Sinclairville ; Charles A., who married Hannah Goodrich, and resides in Plum Creek, Nebraska ; and has 3 children; Lydia, who married John H. Wheeler, Schuyler, Nebraska, and has a son; Ann, who married John Brown, resides in Nebraska, and has 2 children ; Julia A., aged 20, at home, unmar- ried. Anthony Morian married, for his second wife, in 1868, Margaret H. Ketchum, of Greene, Chenango Co., and resides at Cherry Creek. 4. John, third son of Jacob Morian, married, first, Nancy McGrath, in Ohio, and had a son and a daughter, the son living in Cherry Creek ; married, second, in Ohio, Jane Pier, and lives in Virginia. 5. Margaret, unmarried, in Kansas. 6. Alexander, who married, first, Mariett McIntyre, and lives in Pomfret, and whose children are : Dana A., who married Lena M. Simmons, of Windsor, Vt .; lives in Buffalo, and is a conductor on the Buffalo & Washington railroad ; James, who died at 6; Miranda, wife of Frederick Koch, in Dunkirk ; Ben- jamin W., who married Addie Widener; lives in Buffalo, and is a conductor on the Lake Shore railroad; Alexander T .; Kitty M. ; and Caroline, who


Засов. Мотан


£


-


POMFRET. 489


died in childhood. Alexander Morian married, for a second wife, Mrs. R. E. Widener, of Buchanan, Mich. 7. Thomas V. S., who married Clarinda Wood, of Pomfret, and lives in Enterprise, Pa., and whose children are Carlos C., who married Marian Gelson, and lives in Enterprise, and has a son ; Elbridge O .; Herbert T., who married Josephine Coffin, of Potsdam, and has a son; Eva, unmarried; and Margaret A., who died at 8. 8. Lydia, wife of Asa Whitney, Kansas ; has a son, William, married. 9. Jacob, who died in Pomfret, unmarried, at 23, March, 1849. Jacob Morian, Sr., died Dec. 7, 1862. His widow died April 4, 1869.


JAMES MULLETT was born at Guilford, Vt., in 1781. His youth was spent on his father's farm. He learned the trade of a cabinet-maker, and worked some years at the business. In 1810, he removed to Fredonia, and was em- ployed for a time in a store. This business also he abandoned, and com- menced the study of the law in 1813 or 1814, with Hon. Jacob Houghton, of Fredonia. He was admitted to practice in the court of common pleas, Nov. 23, 1814; Zattu Cushing, first judge. He was licensed as an attorney of the supreme court, Oct. 27, 1820; Ambrose Spencer, chief justice. He was admitted as a solicitor in the court of equity, eighth district, Sept. 3, 1823 ; Wm. B. Rochester, circuit judge. He was licensed as a counselor at law in the supreme court, Feb. 27, 1824; John Savage, chief justice. He was appointed district-attorney of Chautauqua county, Feb. 14, 1826; ad- mitted to common pleas of Erie county, N. Y., June 4, 1827 ; Ebenezer Walden, first judge; licensed as a solicitor and counselor in the court of chancery, March 1, 1832; R. Hyde Walworth, chancellor. He was admitted to the U. S. district court of the northern district of New York, as a solici- tor, counselor, and advocate, Oct. 12, 1841 ; Alfred Conkling, presiding ; and appointed city attorney of the city of Buffalo, March 12, 1846. In 1823 and 1824, he represented Chautauqua county in the legislature. In 1846, he was elected one of the justices of the supreme court, under the new constitution ; and was reelected in 1850, and served from Jan., 1851, to Oct. 16, 1857, when he resigned. As a lawyer and jurist, Judge Mullett is believed to have had no superior in Western New York. At a meeting of the bar in Fredo- nia, on the occasion of his death, resolutions were adopted, in which it was declared, " That his high position at the bar resulted from untiring industry and from a love of his profession, and a natural enthusiasm which made all the treasures of his research and genius tributary to his purposes ; and that his eminence on the bench was the result of his intuitive love of justice, his natural power of discrimination, close investigation, and his varied legal acquirements."


ISAAC NORTON, a native of Berkshire, Massachusetts, came from Vernon, Oneida Co., to Pomfret in 1815, and settled on lot 39, where now his son, Elisha Norton, resides, 2 miles south-west from Fredonia. He had a daugh- ter, Flavia, who married Solomon Grout, removed to Michigan, and died there ; and a son, Elisha, above mentioned, who married Harriet Lowell, and had 5 children : John, who died in 1866; Mark, who died in 1865 ;


.


490


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


Ann, wife of Franklin Burritt, supervisor [1873] of Pomfret ; Sophia, re- siding with her father ; and Betsey, who died in Pomfret.


PHILO ORTON was born in Tyringham, Mass., Sept. 9, 1778, and removed from Augusta, N. Y., in 1806, to Canadaway. He was a practical surveyor. He was supervisor of Pomfret from its organization in 1808 until 1819. On the organization of the county, he was appointed a judge, and served in that office many years, discharging its duties with fidelity and general acceptance. In 1840, he was chosen presidential elector from this congressional district, and voted for William Henry Harrison for president.


DANIEL J. PRATT, a native of Westmoreland, Oneida Co., and a graduate of Hamilton College in 1851, came to Fredonia, and taught in the academy as assistant to Prof. D. H. Cochran, since principal of the State Normal school at Albany. At the end of three years, he became principal of the academy, and remained in that position nearly ten years. After spending five months with the army of the Potomac, in the service of the United States Sanitary Commission, he accepted a situation as assistant librarian in the state library, and clerk of the board of regents of the University at Albany.


ELIJAH RISLEY, Sr., was born Dec. 1, 1757. He emigrated from Cazenovia to Fredonia, in April, 1807, and settled on the west side of Canadaway creek. He built a grist-mill about half a mile below the Buffalo and Erie road. He was a soldier of the Revolution, and a pensioner at the time of his death, in 1841, aged 84%. He was married to Phebe Bills, who was born July 24, 1761. They had ra children, of whom 9 attained majority : 1. Betsey, wife of Seth Risley ; both died in the county. 2. Horace, who married Harmony Rood. They removed to Illinois, where he died. 3. Elijah, [see sketch.] 4. Phi- lena, wife of Thomas Warren ; both deceased. 5. Fanny, who married Jas. Brigham , Both deceased. 6. Phebe, wife of Philip Fellows ; both deceased. 7. Sophia, who married Geo. A. French, merchant, Dunkirk, who died about 5 years ago: & William [see sketch.] 9. Levi, who married Sophia Ann Darling ; both rending At Cedar Rapids, Iowa.


ELIJAH RISLEY, JI yon of, the above, was born May 7, 1787, and came to Fredonia in 1807. " He commenced the mercantile business here in 1808 or 1809, being, as is believed, the first merchant in the place. In 1824, he was elected sheriff for three years from January following. In 1833, he commenced the culture of garden seeds, which, in connection with his broth- ers, William and Levi, was continued on an extensive scale for more than 20 years. In 1848, he was elected a representative to Congress. He also attained the rank of major-general of the state militia. Gen. Risley was married to Nabby Brigham, of Pomfret. He died January 10, 1870. Mrs. Risley still resides in Fredonia. Their children were : 1. Florilla C., who married Chauncey Tucker, a lawyer ; lately residing in Niagara Co .; both de- ceased. 2. Hanson A., [see sketch.] 3. Sophrona, wife of Chas. F. Matte- son, of Fredonia ; she died in 1875. . 4. Laurens G., who married Henrietta Houghton, and resides at Dunkirk.' 5. Delia, wife of Thos. P. Grosvenor,


---


6. Ristey


491


POMFRET.


of Buffalo, now of Dunkirk. 6. Minerva, wife of Frank Cushing, who died about 1855 ; was son of Judge Zattu Cushing.


WILLIAM RISLEY, son of Elijah, Sr., came to Fredonia with his father in 1807. He was born Dec. 15, 1802. He was married, Jan. 28, 1828, to Caroline Patrick, of Attica. His business has been milling, farming, and horticulture. He had 5 children, of whom two daughters only are living : Sarah C., who married Rev. Charles Arey, lately rector of St. John's church, Buffalo ; and Julia C., wife of Edward H. Lord, banker New York.


HANSON A. RISLEY, son of Gen. Elijah" Risley, was born in Fredonia, June 16, 1814 ; and was married to Harriet. Crosby, daughter of Dr. Orris Crosby, of Fredonia. Mrs. Risley died in Washington, D. C., Sept. 28, 1868. Mr. Risley is a lawyer by profession, and has practiced in Fredonia and Dunkirk. He was appointed master in chancery by Gov. Seward. He was elected county clerk in 1854 for three years; and was clerk of the assem- bly in 186r. In the time of the late war, he was supervising special agent of the treasury department ; and after the close of the war, assistant solicitor of the treasury until 1869. He resides in Fredonia. He has had 5 children, of whom two daughters are living : Olive F. and Harriet D .; both of whom accompanied the late Wm. H. Seward in his "Travels Around the World." The former, unmarried, was adopted as a daughter by Mr. Seward, and made one of the executors of his will, and is known as Olive Risley Seward ; the latter is the wife of Alfred Rodman, of Boston, Mass.


NOAH D. SNOW, son of Dr. Samuel Snow, was born at Boonville, Oneida county, September 9, 1803. He came to Chautauqua county in 1814. He was elected sheriff of the county, in 1848, which office he held for 3 years from the first of January following. He died at Fredoma, Nov. 16, 1858.


JONATHAN SPRAGUE was a native of Smithfield, Rhode Island ; and his birth was signalized by its having occurred on the day of the adoption of the declaration of American independence by the Continental Congress, July 4, 1776. He resided at Providence until he was about 24 years of age ; from which time he "followed the seas" in the West India trade about 7 years, (the latter part of the time as master of a vessel,) until the time of the em- bargo laid upon our shipping, a few years before the war of 1812. He then removed to Cooperstown, N. Y., and at Hartwick, in that county, formed a company and built a cotton manufactory, of which he was the first agent. In the fall of 18ro, he came to this county, and took up about 600 acres of land at and near the center of tp. 5, r. 11, now Arkwright. He returned to Hartwick, was married to Susan, daughter of Eliphalet Dewey, Esq., and, in March, 1811, settled upon his land, being one of the earliest settlers of that town. In 1812, he bought Benj. Barrett's tavern stand, subsequently known as the Manton stand, 3 miles west from Fredonia, where he resided most of the time till his death. In March, 1815, Daniel D. Tompkins being gov- ernor, Mr. Sprague was appointed sheriff of the county, and held the office two years, having been reappointed in 1817. In 1816, he attempted to arrest a desperate fellow named "Sam Parker," who threw a stone at him


492


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


and hit him on the head, and prostrated him. Mr. Sprague lay insensible for about three days, and was reported dead, and was so published exten- sively in the papers. Parker was taken and committed; broke jail and escaped ; was retaken in Pennsylvania by Mr. Sprague, accompanied by a strong guard, and brought back to this county. He was convicted of forgery and sentenced to imprisonment for life. A strong petition was afterwards started in Pennsylvania, by Parker's friends, who were respectable and influ- ential, and signed also by the governor of that state, asking for the pardon of Parker, on the condition that he should leave the state, and never return. DeWitt Clinton, then governor, not knowing the man nor the circumstances, granted the conditional pardon. Parker went to Canada, where he was soon after drowned in the St. Lawrence river.


Jonathan Sprague had 9 children from his first marriage : Patty, Ruth, Thomas, Philander, Sarah, Susan, Harriet, Jonathan, Jr., and Franklin. His wife died Aug. 18, 1836. He married her sister, Harriet Dewey, in 1837, who had 3 children, Mary, Henry, and Margaret, and died in 1842. All of his children died before the year 1849, except three: 1. Philander, who married Hannah Bristol, and had a daughter, Martha, wife of Joseph Lockey, of Red Wing, at present deputy commissioner of pensions, in the city of Washington, where she died in 1874. Mr. Sprague removed to Red Wing in 1866, where he now resides. 2. Harriet, wife, first, of Judge Benj. F. Green, of Fredonia, and after his death, was married to James J. Humason, and lives in Fredonia. 3. Mary, who was the wife of Rev. Dr. Edward R. Wells, of Red Wing, now Bishop of Wisconsin, residing at Milwaukee. Mrs. . Wells died at Red Wing, Oct. 12, 1874, leaving three children, Edward, Samuel, and Pauline. Jonathan Sprague died at the residence of his son Philander, near the old homestead, 3 miles west from Fredonia, August 22, 1857. His father was Hezekiah Sprague, and was lost at sea in 1793.


EMORY FORCE WARREN was born in Eaton, Madison county, N. Y., Nov. 16, 1810. His parents were of New England origin, and came to this coun- ty in February, 1819, and settled in Charlotte. His early life was spent on his father's farm, where he acquired the rudiments of an English education in the district school ; and after he had attained to his 18th year, he taught winter schools for several seasons. In May, 183r, he commenced the study of law in the office of Hon. Richard P. Marvin in Jamestown. In Novem- ber following, he went to Kennedy's Mills ; and in March, 1832, he was elected a justice of the peace to fill a vacancy, and the next year for a full term of four years. He was married, Dec. 24, 1833, to Timandra J. Sackett, daughter of David Sackett, an early settler of the county. In May, 1834, he returned to Jamestown, and resumed his place in Judge Marvin's office ; and at the June term of that year was admitted to practice in the court of common pleas, and has continued the practice of law to the present time. In 1839, he was admitted as an attorney in the supreme court, and in due course took the degrees of counselor in that court, solicitor and counselor in chancery, and all the degrees entitling him to full practice in the district and


£


LCZCI 11


493


POMFRET.


circuit courts of the United States in the northern district of New York. In 1840, he was appointed examiner in chancery by Gov. Seward. In 1842 and 1843, he was a representative of the county in the assembly. In 1845, he compiled "Sketches of the History of Chautauqua County," which were published by J. Warren Fletcher, then publisher of the Jamestown Journal, 1846. Early in the latter year, he removed to Stockton, on account of de- clining health, and spent the season on a farm ; and in the autumn took up his residence in Sinclairville, and resumed the practice of his profession. He was appointed postmaster there in 1849, and held the office until near the close of President Fillmore's term, when he resigned. He held the office of surrogate from Jan. 1, 1851, for the term of four years. Early in 1856, he removed to Fredonia, where he has since continued to reside. He held the office of excise commissioner for the county, from 1861, for 8 years. In 1871, he was elected county judge for 6 years, and is still in office. He was a whig in politics during the existence of that party, and, on the organ- ization of the republican party, took his place in its ranks, where he still remains.


DR. SQUIRE WHITE was born at Guilford, Vt., Nov. 20, 1785. He came at an early age, with his father, into Chenango county, in this state. His advantages for education were diligently improved. By his patient study, he laid the foundation of those literary tastes which his habitual reserve pre- vented him from publicly displaying, but which were, through life, in moments of relaxation, a source of the highest gratification. He studied medicine in the office of his brother, Dr. Asa White, in Sherburne,. N. Y., and in the office of Dr. Joseph White, of Cherry Valley, at that time one of the most celebrated physicians and surgeons in the state, and whose often expressed opinion of the high attainments and sound medical judgment of his pupil, is of the most flattering character. He came to Fredonia in 1809, and is said to have been the first licensed physician in the county. He soon ac- quired a large practice, of which his numerous friends would not permit him to divest himself; and for many of the last years of his life, his services were in most instances rendered gratuitously. He was noted for the depth of his medical knowledge, the clearness of his observations, and his nice discrimination in everything relating to his profession. An old physician of the county, after an intimate acquaintance with him of nearly forty years, said of him : " He was esteemed by the pioneer settlers as a good physician, humane, attentive to their calls, and extremely lenient to his customers. He was never avaricious." Though indifferent to political preferment, he held several important offices. On the organization of the county in 1811, he was appointed surrogate, which office he held for two years. He was elected three times to the assembly, being a member in the years 1830, 1831, and 1832. He consented also to serve as supervisor of Pomfret in 1838 and 1839. Dr. White was twice married; first, to Sally, daughter of Heze- kiah Barker, October 28, 1813. They had four children : 1. William D., a lawyer, who married Susan Blanchard ; resides at Fredonia. 2. Devillo A.,


494


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


who married Lamira Jones, and resides in Fredonia. 3. Julia S., wife of Hon. Francis S. Edwards, lawyer at Fredonia, where she died. He is now in Dunkirk. 4. Edwin, who died in infancy. Mrs. Sally White died July 13, 1823. Dr. White married, second, Lydia, daughter of Judge Cushing, August 24, 1826. Their children were : 1. Ellen D., wife of Col. Stephen Morgan, and, after his death, the wife of Joseph Quetting, and resides in Brooklyn, N. Y. 2. George H., who married Ellen E. Pierce, and resides in Fredonia. 3. Mary S., who died at the age of 9 years. Dr. White died April 2, 1857.


CHURCHES.


The Baptist Church at Fredonia dates its organization Oct. 20, 1808, and is believed to be the second church organized in the county; the Presbyte- rian church at Cross Roads, [now Westfield,] being the only one claiming an earlier date. As early, however, as Nov., 1805, Zattu Cushing and a few other Baptists, "five brethren and four sisters," as the record says, " thought proper to meet on Lord's days, to recommend the cause of Christ, and con- firm each other in the faith." These nine persons are supposed to have been Zattu Cushing, Wm. Gould, John Van Tassel, Benjamin Barrett, Eliphalet Burnham, Rachel Cushing, Rhoda Burnham, Sophia Williams, and Silence Barto. March 14, 1807, they entered into covenant, and to hold regular monthly meetings. In the winter following, Elder Joy Handy, from Brook- field, Madison Co., settled at the mouth of Canadaway creek, and a year or two after, removed to the " Canadaway settlement," now Fredonia, on the lot afterwards the residence of Dr. Squire White. Sept. 8, 1808, articles of faith and a covenant were adopted ; and Oct. 20, 1808, a council of ministers, called for that purpose, met at Mr. Cushing's, where the brethren and sisters were examined and received into fellowship-16 in number. Passing over a period of five years, during which the records are defective, we find that on Nov. 9, 1813, Judge Cushing was chosen deacon. In 1816, Ebenezer Webster was elected to that office, and Judge Cushing licensed to preach. In December, 1816, Elijah Devine was elected deacon, and in April, 1821, Nathaniel Crosby. In August, 1822, Rev. Elisha Tucker was called to be the third pastor, who visited eastern cities to solicit money to finish the old meeting-house-the old frame edifice-the first, it is believed, that was built in the county. The present brick church was built on the same site about the year 1851 or '52. In June, 1829, a portion of this church was set off, and organized at Laona, as the "Second Baptist Church in Pomfret." This is now extinct. In 1830, a portion of it formed the Dunkirk Baptist church. In 1839, a division occurred in relation to their pastor, John F. Bishop. In Feb., 1848, the churches were reunited. Rev. Joy Handy was the principal supply from 1808 to 1822; Jirah Cole to 1836 ; Beriah N. Leach to 1838 ; then John Bishop about one year, when the division took place. He con- tinued pastor of one division several years, though he resigned as pastor in 1840; but his resignation was not accepted by that division. He afterward left, and was succeeded by S. P. Way and Bliss C. Willoughby until the


495


POMFRET.


reunion in 1848. Pastors of the other division: A. C. Barrell, Judah L. Rich- mond, Alfred Handy, and Ebenezer Loomis. Both organizations claimed to be the First Baptist Church of Pomfret. After the reunion, Ebenezer Web- ster, John Hamilton, and Joel R. Parker were elected deacons. Ministers since the reunion have been A. Kingsbury, Charles N. Chandler, Alonzo Wheelock, George G. Downey, A. C. Barrell, Howard M. Jones, Charles Thompson. The present brick church edifice was dedicated July 7, 1853.


The Presbyterian Church of Fredonia was organized Sept. 29, 1810; Rev. John Spencer, a missionary, being present and officiating, and preaching a sermon. The church was formed as Congregational, but a few years after- ward, adopted the Presbyterian form of government. Mr. Spencer preached to the church and congregation a portion of the time until January, 1817. The names of the persons who constituted the church at the time of its or- ganization, are the following : Benj. Barnes, Isaac Barnes, Norman Goodwin, Mark Stacy, Hannah Loomis, Lucina Goodwin, Ruth Barnes, Israel Loomis, Samuel Marsh, Asa French, Phebe Risley, Persis Chadwick, Mrs. Lydia Goulding, who was admitted Jan. 27, 1811, is still living, [1874.] Her hus- band, Timothy Goulding, died in Sheridan in 1873, at the advanced age of 91 years. From 1811 to 1814, inclusive, only 12 were added, of whom 6 were of the name of Lovejoy. In 1816, Joseph Plumb, and in 1821 his brother Ralph, united. [These brothers are noticed elsewhere.] Until about 1824, this church included all Presbyterians residing in Dunkirk, among whom were Sarah, wife of Dr. Williams; Lucy, wife of Daniel G. Garnsey, and others. For many years, meetings were held in school-houses and such other rooms as could be obtained. In December, 1819, the society was formed under the statute. It was voted by the meeting that there be nine trustees ; but the first vote on the record is declared to be the election of Gilbert Douglas to supply the place of Joseph Rood. Six others were then elected : John Crane, Benjamin Douglas, Henry Abell, Thomas G. Abell, Solomon Hinkley, Harvey Durkee. Other early trustees were Jo- seph Plumb, Jacob Houghton, James Sage, Isaac A. Lovejoy, Samuel Marsh, Elisha Shepard. Samuel Sweezy was installed pastor, March 13, 1817; Wm. Page, Sept., 1823; dismissed, Aug. 1826; Wm. Bradley, installed Jan., 1834; dismissed Nov., 1837; Sylvester Cowles, installed Feb., 1839; dismissed 1840. The following also have been pastors : David D. Gregory, Stephen M. Hopkins, Augustus Pomeroy, Sabin Mckinney, Daniel Clarke, (6 yrs.,) Edwin S. Wright, (14 years,) A. L. Benton, present pastor. The congrega- tion has also been supplied for short periods of time by Jos. W. McMaster, Abiel Parmele, R. Rudd, and others. Feb. 17, 1835, it was voted to build a meeting-house, 52 by 56 feet, and to be three years in building ; and that the site be on the hill, nearly opposite James Mullett's, unless, etc. Pay- ments for the pew ground, Jan. 1, 1821, 1822, and 1823, 5 per cent. in cash, and the residue in produce. The site decided upon was the half acre nearly opposite James Mullett's.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.