History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 64

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 64


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


512


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


A Universalist Society was formed, September 21, 1821, at the house of Simon Burton. The "compact, or agreement," was signed by 14 persons : Simon Burton, Oliver Spafford, Harry Mumford, David Joy, Ahira Hall, Samuel Beach, 2d, Lyman Doolittle, Willard Burton, Hiram Burton, Moses Joy, Walter Mumford, Zimri Hill, Slapp Hovey, James Charter. At a meet- ing held on the 24th, a board of trustees and a clerk were chosen. About a year afterward, a church was formed with 35 members ; and the rites and ceremonies and order of worship, usual in churches of the order, were prac- ticed for several years. A society was formed under the statute, March 4, 1824, styled " The Universalist Society of Portland." From a non-compli- ance with some of the provisions of the statute, the society is said to have lost its legal existence. Meetings, however, have been held with greater or less frequency, as preachers have come upon the field.


A Protestant Methodist Church was organized in 1858, in the south-east part of the town, by Rev. O. C. Payne, of Fredonia. The original members were Wolcott Colt, Chandler Colt, Mrs. Merab Colt, Sarah Colt, Joel S. and Lydia Farnham, Platt A. and Lucy Lathrop, Collins Haight, Nancy Porter, Cynthia Kelly, and Cornelia Howe. No society was incorporated ; and the church organization, after two or three years, was discontinued.


A Free-will Baptist Church was formed, many years ago, in the south border of the town, and a house of worship built on " Chautauqua Hill," in the town of Chautauqua. It has had no existence for many years.


RIPLEY.


THE town of Ripley was formed from Portland, March, 1817. It is the north-western town in the county, being bounded on the north by Lake Erie, and on the west by the state of Pennsylvania. It contains an area of about 3I, II0 acres. Besides the usual dimensions of an ordinary township, six miles square, containing an average of about 22,000 acres, there is a tract, nearly triangular in shape, being 9 miles long, east and west, and from less than 1 mile to nearly 4 miles in width, containing 9,000 acres, more or less. The survey of the town into lots was irregular. A tract of 4,074 acres was contracted for by James McMahan, in 1801, before the survey of the town- ship into lots. This tract extended from the east line of the present town of Ripley, west to within about half a mile of Quincy, including the old Brock- way farm. The south line of the tract, instead of running east and west, runs nearly parallel with the lake shore and with the two roads which pass through the tract, from its east to its west line. The tract is about 3 miles long and 2 miles wide, having acute angles at the north-east and south-west corners. To give a square form to the lots and farms, the lines forming the boundaries on the east and west sides of the lots, were run at right angles from the lake to the southern boundary of the tract. The lots were thus


513


RIPLEY.


made square, or very nearly so; and this plan of survey was carried through, by the Holland Land Company, to the state line ; the south boundary line of the McMahan tract having been continued, in the same direction, through to the Pennsylvania line. The lots of this tract are not of uniform size. The tier along the lake is narrower than the other two tiers, between which the main road passes. The lots of the whole strip of about 2 miles in width, from the east line of the town to the west line, are numbered from 1 to 27. And the town containing a larger territory than an ordinary township, the number of lots is 89; being 25 more than the number in an ordinary town- ship 6 miles square.


Original Purchases of Lands in Ripley.


1804. October, Alexander Cochran, 10, II.


1805. September, Nathan Wisner, 13. Samuel Harrison, 12.


1 806. March, Asa Spear, 14. Josiah Farnsworth, 19. Wm. McBride,


15. May, John Akers, 14. August, Wm. Crossgrove, 10.


1807. October, Stephen Prendergast, 16.


1808. June, Perry G. Ellsworth, 20. October, Andrew Spear, 20.


I809. Oct., Hugh Whitehall, 8. Noah P. Hayden, 8. Basil Burgess, 15.


1810. April, Jared and Solon Benedict and Elkanah Johnson, 17. July, Richard W. Freeman, 9.


18II. September, William Benson, 35.


1815. February, Gideon Goodrich, 24, 26. Alex. Cochran, 86, 87.


1816. February, Robert Dickson and Wm. A. Judd, 45. March, Oliver Hitchcock, 46. May, John Benson, 44. Samuel Truesdell, 89. James Taylor, 89. July, Thomas Burch, 44. November, Wm. Burch, 43. Pliny Colton, 88. December, Gideon Goodrich, 69.


1817. February, John Rowley, 62. Reuben Ellis, 12. May, Benajah Rexford, 52. July, Benajah Rexford, 37. August, John Squire, 37. Nov., Jedediah F. Bates, 81.


1818. September, Abner Sprague, 81. November, Phineas Royce, 36. December, Chandler Wattles, 59.


1819. April, John Gage, 64. November, David Royce, 36.


1820. April, Ansel Edwards, 60.


1821. Oct., Layton Bentley, 50, 51, 58. Henry Briggs, 60. Nov., Eli Shove, 36. Benj. C. Amsden, 36. David Jenkins, 51. Gurdon H. Wattles, 5 1.


1822. January, Alexander Berry, 28. October, John Haight, 34.


1824. March, Aaron Aspinwall, 85.


1825. February, Farley Fuller, 43. June, David Jenkins, 57. August, John C. Hunaford, 35. Daniel Shove, 35. November, Israel Palmer, 52.


1826. May, Admiral Burch, 45. Albert Scott, 20. Henry Adams, 31. Lorenzo Palmer, 32. August, John H. Board, 44. Israel Palmer, 53. September, Luman Hopkins, 85. Joseph Thornton, 44.


1827. January, Charles Winter, 56. June, Daniel Lombard, 34. July, Henry Adams, 30. August, Joseph Humphrey, 70. Robt. Dickson, 45. September, Oliver Stetson and others, 32.


1828. March, Peter Burch, 33. August, Judd W. Cass, 36.


1830. May, Allen Parker, 30.


1831. January, James Macomber, 42. February, John Thorp, 72. April, Samuel Barnes, 43. May, George Ellis, 79. June, Wyman Hill, 53. Ga- maliel Parker, 53. Hiram Winter, 48. Walter S. Burgess, 40. 33


514


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


The earliest settler within the limits of the present town of Ripley was Alexander Cochran, a native of Ireland, who settled on the farm on which his son John now resides, a mile west of Quincy, where he resided till bis death. His nearest neighbor was Thomas Robinson, who settled the same year on the west side of and adjoining the state line.


Mr. Cochran and several others who settled in the north part of the coun- ty, resided for a few years in the county of Genesee, which was formed March 30, 1802, and extended from the Genesee river to the west boundary of this county. It then comprised four towns, three of them east of the Holland Purchase, namely, Northampton, adjoining Lake Ontario ; South- ampton, south of and adjoining Northampton; and Leicester, extending to Pennsylvania north line. The fourth was Batavia, embracing the whole Holland Purchase.


Most of the earlier settlers in Ripley located on the tract of James Mc- Mahan, and bought their lands of him; consequently we have no record showing the dates of their purchases and settlement. The following are the names of early settlers on this tract, west from the east line of the town, some of whom, perhaps, were not first purchasers. Charles Forsyth, where his son John resides. William Alexander, from Penn., as early as 1806, near Ripley Crossing ; having bought about 500 acres, which comprises the four farms, now owned by Alpheus Moore, - Rickenbrodt, Alexander McHenry, and Willis Royce. Wm. Dickson, brother of Robert, Sr., settled, about 1815, on the farm lately owned by Seth Ely. Farley Fuller settled on the farm sub- sequently owned, in whole or in part, by Elihu Marvin and Frederick Ban- dell. John Post kept a tavern early near where, later, Lemon Averill, and still later, Elizur Webster, Jr., kept the Ripley House ; the farm now owned by Dwight Dickson. Basil Burgess, Sr., settled where John Smallwood re- sides ; the farm since owned, successively, by Robert Dickson, Basil Burgess, Sr., Henry Abell, and Elizur Webster, Sr. Thomas Prendergast bought, in 1805, the land on which Asa Spear had been previously settled, and after- wards also the land on which Oliver Loomis had settled, and on which the grandsons of Mr. Prendergast, and the late Wm. Hunt recently resided. Burban Brockway bought several hundred acres of the McMahan tract, ex- tending to the west line of the said tract, on which he settled in 1814.


West of the McMahan tract, on the Erie road, the following named per- sons settled :


Perry G. Ellsworth, a native of New England, from Otsego Co., settled in 1804 or 1805, a mile west from Quincy, where he kept a tavern. He after- wards resided east of and near Quincy. He was one of the earliest justices ; died in Michigan. Asa Spear, from Vermont, settled on the farm he sold to Thomas Prendergast. He removed to Quincy, where he kept a tavern, on the site of the present Presbyterian church. He was an early justice ; died in Ohio. Nathan Wisner settled early where John B. Dinsmore lately re- sided. Elijah Hayden, from Dutchess Co., where William Willis resides. He was a justice ; removed to Penn. Samuel Truesdell, about 1805, settled


515


RIPLEY.


near the state line, and was an early tavern-keeper, supposed to have been the first in town. Jared Freeman, a native of Massachusetts, after having resided at Auburn, N. Y., and Waterford, Pa., bought, about 1824, the tavern- house built by Asa Spear in Quincy. He was an associate judge and post- master. He removed to Batavia, Ill., in 1843; thence, in 1847, to Racine, Wis., and was treasurer of the county. He has since died.


Orrin and Anson Willis bought the farm previously owned by Elijah Hay- den, where Wm. Willis, son of Anson, resides, on the Buffalo & Erie road, a mile east from the state line. They lived together about 8 years, when Anson bought out his brother, and owned the farm until his death. He died in Quincy. Orrin removed to Indiana, where he died. Anson had 4 children : Emeline, widow of Charles Dinsmore ; William, on the farm ; Ann, wife of Scofield Waterbury, in Iowa ; and Mary, wife of John Wethy, with her mother in Quincy.


The uplands of the town were generally settled considerably later than those near the lake. The names of a large portion of them are given. Not all of them were original purchasers ; nor has it been possible to ascertain, in the case of many, whence they emigrated, and the years of their settlement.


In the east part of the town, Israel Palmer, Sr., in 1817, settled on lot 52 ; the farm now owned by Lawton Johnson and Alphens Burgess. Solomon Abbey settled on lot 32, where now William Abbey resides. John and Robert Abbey on lot 33, where they still reside. Thomas J. Claxton, on 32, where Orson Eddy now lives. James Macomber, on 42, now owned by his heirs. Reuben Downs, on lot 45 ; sold to Joshua Tinker, now owned by his son, John B. Richard Baker, on lot 45; land lately owned by Thomas Benson. Thomas Burch, on land owned by Silas Palmer. John H. Haight settled on lot 34 ; the farm now owned by Daniel Lombard.


In the central part, Layton Bentley was an original purchaser of lot 58, north part of lot 50, and the south part of 51, in all 710 acres ; himself set- tling on the south part of 58. Thomas Bentley settled on the north-east part of 58, where later Thomas Clemens was, and Henry Alton now is. Layton, son of Layton Bentley, resides on some of these lands. Gurdon H. Wattles settled on 51, bought in Nov., 1819, near where his son Glover P. lately re- sided. Ansel Edwards bought in April, 1820, a part of 60 ; Spafford Knowl- ton and Daniel Deck are now on the lot. Chandler Wattles, in Dec., 1818, bought the east and west parts of 59; now owned by Adelbert and John Newbury.


In the south part, Abner Bruce settled on lot 57, and built a grist-mill and a saw-mill; and is said to have done the work himself- carpenter and iron work, and the dressing of the mill-stones. The mills were since owned by Smith and Avery. Now no mills there. Seneca Pierce had a tannery at the same place, long since discontinued. John Gage settled on lot 64, bought in 1819, where his grandson Hiram B. Stone resides. Charles Winter bought Jan., 1827, on lot 56 ; the land since owned by - Graves. Peter Combs settled on lot 56, bought in 1829, where Zebulon Sinden resides.


516


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


In the south-east part, Henry and John Adams settled on the south part of lot 31, bought by Henry at the office in 1826 ; the land now owned by the heirs of John Adams. Daniel Clark bought, in May, 1819, a part of 28, where now David Sheldon resides. John M. Healy bought the south part of 27, where S. N. Sweezy now is. Alfred Palmer settled on 30, now owned by Suel Dewey. Albert Scott, on 29, bought in 1826, where now William Scott (of another family) resides. John Atkinson bought early on lots 40, 41 ; the land now owned by his heirs. Walter S. Burgess bought on 30, in 1831, where E. Colwell now resides. Ira Sturdevant, on lot 48, now owned by Casper Imbury. William Mead, on lot 40, where now William Green re- sides. David Sheldon settled on lot 28, where he still resides. His chil- dren are Sarah, wife of Newell Sweezy, Ripley ; Helen, wife of Elmer Thorp ; and Joel, both of whom reside in Oregon City, Ill.


In the south-west part, Archibald Thorp settled on lot 71, where Henry D. Clamphear lives. His sons, John and William, reside on lots 71 and 72, and his son James on lot 87, near the steam saw-mill built by William Cum- mings and Joseph Miller. Benjamin Colton, on 79, now owned by his son Morgan. Northrop Smith, an early settler on 80, resides there still. Geo. Tripp settled on 86, the land previously settled on by his father ; George, also now deceased. Milo C. Hopkins settled on a part of 86 ; the land still owned by himself.


In the west part, Stephen Eastman was an early settler where his widow and son Charles reside, on lot 88. Wooster, on lot 82 ; the farm now owned by his son David. Matthew S. McClintock was an early settler on 83, where Alfred Greeley now. lives.


In the north part, but still on the upland, James Burrows settled early on lot 69, where his son Hiram resides. Another son, Alexander, lives on the lot [76] adjoining on the west.


The first town-meeting in Ripley was held in the spring of 1816. A few of the first pages of the records having been torn out, a complete list of the town officers can not be given. The following are known to have been elected :


Supervisor-Amos Atwater. Town Clerk-Moses Adams. Com'rs of Highways-Alexander Cochran, Burban Brockway, Wm. Bell. Com'rs of Schools-Elijah Hayden, Stephen Prendergast.


In 1817, the following, a full list, were elected :


Supervisor-Thomas Prendergast. Town Clerk-Moses Adams. Asses- sors-Alexander Cochran, Stephen Prendergast, Amos Atwater. Overseers of Poor -- Burban Brockway, Alexander Cochran. Com'rs of Highways- James McMahan, Francis Dorchester, Charles Forsyth. Constable and Col- lector-Moses E. Stetson. Com'rs of Schools-Moses Adams, Amos Atwater, Wm. B. Dickson. Inspectors of Schools -- Gideon Goodrich, James Mont- gomery, Wm. Bell.


Justices of the peace were not then elected by the voters of the towns, but were appointed for the several counties by the council of appointment,


517


RIPLEY.


at Albany. Their first election by the people of the towns, was in the year 1826. Early justices in Ripley, though perhaps not the first, were Perry G. Ellsworth, Burban Brockway, and Asa Spear.


Supervisors from 1816 to 1875.


Amos Atwater, 1816. Thomas Prendergast, 1817 [and probably 1818, record missing, ] 1819 to '25, and '27-9 years. Ebenezer Ward, 1826. Moses Adams, 1828. Henry Fairchild, 1829 to 1832. Orrin Willis, 1833, '34. Gurdon H. Wattles, 1835, '36. Ethan Sawin, 1837, '38. Charles B. Brockway, 1839, '40, '52, '57, '64 to '68-9 years. Hezekiah Mason, 1841, '42. Moses A. Tennant, 1843 to '45, '47, '48, '53-6 years. Matthew S. McClintock, 1846. Stephen Prendergast, 1849, '50. George Goodrich, 1851. Selden Marvin, 1854. Caleb O. Daughaday, 1855. Simeon Collins, 1856, '58 to '61, '63-6 years. Henry A. Prendergast, 1862. Addison Mason, 1869, '72. Lucius G. Hamilton, 1870, '71. Erbin C. Wattles, 1873, '74, '75.


A saw-mill, believed to have been the first in Ripley, was built by Richard Baker and Robert Dickson, in 1817, on the east branch of Twenty Mile creek, about 3 m. south from Quincy. Sawing had been previously done near the site of the " gulf mills," and at Westfield. Another saw-mill on the east branch was built about 112 m. below the former, by Reuben Ellis, about the year 1828. Soon after the building of Baker and Dickson's saw-mill, a grist- mill was built at the mouth of Twenty Mile creek, in Penn. On the south branch, a saw-mill was built, about 1824, by Abner Bruce, and soon after, a grist-mill, at the same place. Harry Stone, about 1840, built a saw-mill about 34 m. below. A steam saw-mill 34 m. from Westfield line, built by Hazard Kendall about 1850, is still running, and owned by Benj. Christie. A steam saw-mill was built on Bidwell creek, near its junction with the south branch of Twenty Mile creek, about 1868. It was burned in 1872. Attached to it was a machine for dressing barrel heads, and a mill for grinding feed. About 1830, Jesse Smith and Joseph Cass built a saw-mill on the present site of Charles P. and Wm. B. Young's mill, near the lake. A grist-mill was also built there by John Calkins and Noadiah Kendall-not now running. Also, about 1830, near the lake, about 114 m. from Quincy, is a saw-mill built by Ralph and Thomas Russell, now owned by Clark Aspinwall. Orren and George Hopkins built, in 1871, a steam-saw mill, near the railroad, 2 m. east of Quincy. It was burned about a year after, and rebuilt, and is removed to Quincy. About 1872, Miller and Cummings built a steam saw-mill 3 m. south of Northville [State Line], which is in successful operation.


The first store in the town is said to have been at State Line, kept by Be- man & Bennett. The first store at Quincy was kept by Rappole & Keeler, in a house built by Asa Spear and Reuben Ellis, where the Presbyterian church now stands. The building was afterwards used by Spear for a tavern. It is now a part of the hotel building near the railroad. Merchants, after Rappole & Keeler, were James Jackson, Don Carlos Barrett, Thomas Klumph, and James Berlin. Present merchants-Palmer & Morris ; Lom-


518


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


bard & Bennett. Hardware-George Morse. Druggists-Shaw & Brown. Grocer- De Witt C. Stone.


The first regular physician was Alvin Ryan, at Quincy, about 1820 ; next, Dr. - Alden. Later, were Richard and William Stockton, Luther P. Cowles, Simeon Collins, Harper Hopkins, George C. Bennett, Dr. Chase, (eclectic,) Dr. Watson, Stephen H. Shaw. Present physicians, Elbridge G. Symons, Dr. Heard.


The first tavern was kept near the state line by Samuel Truesdell, about 1807. The first at Quincy, by Elihu Murray. Inns were also kept early on the Buffalo and Erie road by Perry G. Ellsworth, Oliver Loomis, Asa Spear, and John Post; and later, east of Ripley church, by David Royce. The rail- road hotel at Quincy, kept by E. M. Boswell, is the only public house in the town.


The post-office in Ripley was established about the year 1815. The office was kept in the house of the postmaster, Robert Dickson, where John Small- wood resides. He was succeeded by Burban Brockway, and the office was removed to his house, one mile west. Moses Adams was next appointed, and the office was removed to his house, near the place where it was first kept. The office was next removed to Quincy, the name of Ripley remain- ing unchanged, and John Rappole, the early merchant, appointed postmaster. The office has since been held, by appointment, by Jared Freeman, Elisha Bruce, Persis Bruce, his widow, Solomon B. Northum, Caleb O. Daughaday, Austin Goodrich, and Charles W. Baird, the present incumbent.


BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.


MOSES ADAMS was born in Amenia, Dutchess Co., March 9, 1784, and settled, in 1809, on land previously owned by Basil Burgess, being a part of the James McMahan tract, about one-fourth of a mile west of the old Pres- byterian church, where he resided until 1853, when he removed to the village of Westfield, where he died April 16, 1855. He was an early postmaster in Ripley. His first wife was Annis Cochran ; his second, Clarissa Dickson, a native of Cherry Valley, who still resides in Westfield. He had no children.


WILLIAM ALEXANDER, from Penn., settled, in 1806, in the east part of Ripley, on the James McMahan tract, having bought upwards of 500 acres, which, in 1818 or 1819, he sold to David Royce. His purchase com- prised the present farms of Alexander McHenry, Alpheus Moore, son-in-law of Royce, - Rickenbrodt, and Willis Royce, son of David Royce, who owns the homestead. Alexander was one of the early associate judges of the county. He went down the Ohio river, and settled in the southeastern part of Indiana or Illinois.


SILAS BAIRD was born in Vermont, Feb., 1775. He removed from Wash- ington county, N. Y., to Ripley, about 1811, and settled on a part of the Brockway farm, one mile east from Quincy, and about 1813 in that village, where he resided until his death, April 8, 1851. He was married to Handy Roundy, who was born in Vermont, Jan. 19, 1783, and died Jan. 1, 1863.


Strobridge & Co Lith. Cin. 0


Bunban Brockway


519


RIPLEY.


BENJAMIN F. BAIRD, son of Silas Baird, was born in Granville, N. Y., June 26, 1805, and came to Ripley with his father, and also finally settled in Quincy. He married Sarah M. Harrison; and had by her 5 children who attained mature age : John E., who resides in Iowa ; Mary R., in Michigan, married ; Lucretia L., with her mother in Ripley ; Charles W., unmarried ; served in the late war, and is postmaster in Ripley ; George W. D., who married Amelia Tracy, and lives in town; and Mary R., wife of Henry Gebhard. B. F. Baird was from an early day a prominent and an efficient member of the Methodist church ; and he was for about twenty-five years a justice of the peace. He died March 11, 1874.


AZARIAH BENNETT, from Saratoga county, settled, in 1825, on the lake road, north of Quincy, and subsequently removed to the village, where he still resides, at the age of 74 years. His son, George C., was a graduate of the medical college at Castleton, Vt., after a second course of lectures ; a previous course having been attended at Cleveland. After a successful prac- tice of several years at Quincy, he removed to Erie. He died soon after, at Ripley.


BURBAN BROCKWAY was born at Lyme, Conn., March 1, 1767, and was the youngest of ten children. His elder brothers and father served in the Revolutionary war. At the age of 18 years, he commenced a seafaring life. At 23 he was married to Lois Anna Bostwick, of New Milford, and made his home at Catskill, N. Y., and continued his chosen occupation, mostly in the North river and coasting trade. In 1797, having made up his mind to the pursuit of agriculture, he removed to Seneca, Ontario county, then a wilderness, and commenced clearing the forest. In 1809, he united with the Protestant Episcopal church at Geneva. In 1814, he removed with his family to Ripley [then Portland,] one mile east of Quincy, where he resided until his death, Sept. 2, 1861. On the organization of St. Paul's church at Mayville, he was made its senior warden, and subsequently was warden of St. Peter's church of Westfield. He was an early postmaster in Ripley, when the mail was carried by the post-boy on horseback. He also held the office of magistrate, by appointment from Gov. Clinton.' His wife was born in Connecticut, January 9, 1772, and died Nov. 26, 1859. They were mar- ried May 27, 1790, and had 9 children : 1. Henry William, who married Sarah Gill, and removed to Ellery, where he died, March 26, 1846, leaving 2 sons, Hobart and Heber, and a daughter, Harriet ; all residing now in Ellery. 2. Eliza Ann, wife of Dr. Orris Crosby, of Fredonia. She died in Ripley ; he in Wisconsin. 3. Horace, who married Eliza Morse, and was an early merchant in Mina. He died in Ripley, May 10, 1835. They had 3 sons : Henry, in Ripley ; Beman and Burban, in Oregon ; and a daughter, Mary Ann, in Ripley. 4. Sally B., wife of Austin Goodrich, who had a daughter, Harriet. Mr. G. is deceased ; the widow and daughter are in Quincy. 5. Anna, who died in infancy. 6. Clarissa, wife of Jeremiah Mann, deceased ; she lives in Quincy. 7. Caroline, who died April 9, 1868. 8. Charles Bur- ban, born Dec. 6, 1810 ; married Rachel Rebecca, daughter of David Sterrett,


520


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


of Pennsylvania, and had 6 children : Mary S., Frederick, Martha, who died at 13, Charles B., David S., and Bell R., who died in infancy. Mr. B. has held the office of assessor ; was for nine years supervisor, and for 2 years chairman of the board ; and has been for the last six years, and is now, a justice of the peace. 9. Frederick, born Sept. 15, 1813 ; died Sept. 23, 1847.


BASIL BURGESS settled on the McMahan tract, where John Smallwood now resides. He sold to Robert Dickson, and removed to the lake road, near where his son Basil afterwards resided, and where Henry, son of Basil Burgess, Jr., now resides.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.