History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 68

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 68


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


SHERMAN.


SHERMAN was formed from Mina, April 7, 1832. It comprises township 2, range 14, as described by the Holland Company's survey, and contains 36 square miles ; its south and west line being 6 miles from the state of Penn- sylvania. Its surface is described as being rolling and hilly, broken by the deep ravines of the streams. It is drained by French creek and its tributa- ries. This stream, running in a southerly direction through Sherman village, crosses the west line of the town about 134 miles from the south-west corner. The soil is clay and sandy loam. Sherman village is in the north part of the town, where is a post-office, and near it is a station on the Buffalo, Corry & Pittsburgh railroad. The population of the village was, in 1870, 610. Cen- ter Sherman is also a post-office in the south-west part of the town.


Sherman was settled with unusual rapidity. The settlement of French Creek was commenced in 1812; of Mina, about 1815; of Clymer, in 1820; and of Sherman, in 1823. The Company's books show a greater number of original purchasers of lands in Sherman from 1825 to 1828, than in any other town of equal size in the county, during an equal period of time. Only a part of these purchasers are named in the subjoined list. The names of many of the early and temporary settlers are omitted.


Original Purchases in Township 2, Range 14.


1823. March, Jonathan R. Reynolds, 32. April, David Fuller, 24. June, Joel D. Cornish, 47. October, Otis Skinner, 24.


1824. February, Alanson Weed, 31. April, Lester R. Dewey, 39. May, Ransom Felton, 63. September, Hiram N. Gleason, 24.


1825. January, Joshua La Due, 34. February, Osmand Hall, 36. April, Hazard Wilcox, 64. May, Loren Park, 59. Cyrus Pitts, 59. Elisha A. Eades, 53. Dearing Dorman, 22. June, Larry Wilcox, 48. James Otta- way, 62. Sampson Vincent, 20. Charles Hawley, 29, 37. Wm. Williams, 29. September, Jedediah and Elliot B. Smith, 37. Geo. Sampson and Phineas Bailey, 60. Major D. Reynolds, 16. Nov., John C. Wilcox, 56.


1826. September, Barney Bratt, 29. Eliab Skeels, 61. Wm. Buss, 61. October, Lansing Buck, 25. November, Julius Willard, Jr., 13. Wm. May- born, 61. Rufus Ransom, 51.


Deering Dorman


545


SHERMAN.


1827. March, Isaac Willard, ro. Josiah Wait, II. Warren Hannum, 26. Harvey W. Goff, 22. October, James Bates, 5. John Miller, 7. No- vember, Jesse Newell, 25.


1828. March, Gershom Wait, rr. September, Thaddeus Tibbals, 5. December, Loren Stebbins, -. Josiah Wait, Ir.


[A considerable portion of the land in this township remained unsold at the date last above mentioned. The Holland Company's books in the land- office contain no record of later sales in this town. The unsold lands passed, in 1836, to the new proprietors, Wm. H. Seward and others.]


Respecting the first settlement of this town, statements are somewhat con- fused and conflicting. The first settler, it is believed, is generally supposed to be Dearing Dorman, from the vicinity of Batavia, Genesee Co., in 1823. In a series of "Fragments of our Town History," written for the Sherman News, by the late Hiram N. Gleason, Esq., a few years ago, is the following :


" Mr. Dearing Dorman is believed to have been the first actual resident of the territory embraced within the limits of the town of Sherman. He locat- ed on lot No. 32, in 1823, erected a 'shanty,' covered it with bark, laid a floor of split logs, kindled a fire in the end, and introduced his youthful bride to her new home. A short time after the location of Mr. Dorman, Harvey W. Goff erected a 'shanty' on lot No. 2, as a residence. There, too, was the speedy increase of population by the addition of a little ' depend- ent.' In the spring of r824, Alanson Weed erected a log house on lot 31, and removed his family from Ellery in this county. During the same sum- mer, Otis Skinner built and occupied a shanty on lot 24. Jonathan R. Reynolds built a log house on lot 32, in the fall of the same year, and occu- pied it with the family of his father. The above named were, at the last mentioned date, the only families residing in this township. Several young unmarried men-of whom the only remaining residents in town are Lester R. Dewey and Hiram N. Gleason-were ardently engaged in felling the forest, and clearing a spot large enough whereon to build a log house 20 by 24 feet, but taking good care that all trees standing within reach of, and leaning toward the point designated for the important edifice, should be sea- sonably prostrated."


Mr. Dorman, the next year after his settlement, raised an acre of wheat- 30 bushels-said to have been the first crop raised in town. The same year or the next, his son Archibald was born. This was the first birth in town. The first marriage was that of Lester R. Dewey and Fanny Patterson, Otis Skinner, the first justice in town, officiating. Mr. Skinner is also said to have taught the first school, in his own house, in the winter of 1828-29. Mr. Gleason, however, says a school was, in 1825, formed of territory adjoining Chautauqua, and "a school was ere long established, which has been con- tinued to the present time."


Though settled at a much later date than most of the other towns in the county, the experience of the settlers was nearly the same. The procuring of breadstuffs, though attended with great inconvenience before the erection of mills in the town, was not so difficult as in the case of the pioneers of some of the earliest settled towns, who were compelled to get grain and


35


+


546


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


flour from Erie and other places in Pennsylvania, from Niagara Falls, and even from Canada. Some of their difficulties are thus stated by Mr. Gleason :


" There was not an open highway in town ; not an acre of turf; not a saw- mill within many miles ; and the grist-mill was still more remote. There was indeed a hand-mill somewhere in the neighborhood of Chautauqua lake, owned by a Mr. Wing, to which, in cases of urgent necessity, some resorted to crack their corn. The lumber for roofing some of the first houses, was hauled through the woods from Mayville, having been wafted in rafts, by propitious gales, from the southern extremity of the lake, where was a saw- mill. Settlers who could not procure lumber, used bark for covering their dwellings, or made troughs of a split linden log, placing two side by side, and laying the third in a reverse position over the edges of the two. It was under such unpropitious circumstances that the settlement was commenced. The first families were emigrants, or the immediate descendants of emigrants, from favored New England-of sound character, good intelligence, and withal well schooled in the patriotic principles and persevering industry of the pilgrims of Plymouth Rock."


In the north-west part of the town, Benjamin Boorman, from England, settled in 1825, on lot 62, bought in 1824, and resided alternately in Sher- man and Mina, until 1872. He now resides with his son Joseph, 112 miles west from the village. Edwin, the eldest son, settled on lot 61, where he resides ; John resides in the West ; and Benjamin, in California ; Mary, wife of Gilead Dodge, in Minnesota ; Charlotte was the wife of Thomas M. Sparks, who died in the army; Sarah, wife of John E., son of James Otta- way, lives on his father's homestead ; Emily U., wife of Daniel Frits, lives in Sherman. William Mayborn settled on lot 61 ; afterwards permanently on 62. John Thorp, also from England, came about 1838, and settled on the north-east part of 62. Richard Buss, an Englishman, came in 1826, and settled on lot 63. Joel Hill settled early on lot 64; was a blacksmith ; removed to the village ; and, after working there at his trade many years, removed to Pleasant Valley, in the west part of the town, where he now resides, and has long held the office of deacon in the Baptist church. Cuy- ler Dean settled on lot 64 ; was a blacksmith ; afterwards removed to the village, and worked many years at his trade.


In the west part of the town, Bela L. Butler settled early on lot 52 ; had a large family, and was for many years a justice of the peace ; his lands afterwards owned by Joseph S. and William Bell. Loren Park settled on lot 59, bought in 1825 ; lately removed to Sherman village. In this neigh- borhood, [lot 5r,] was formerly a post-office, which, though several miles from the center of the town, was called Center Sherman post-office.


In the south-west part, Charles and Benjamin Ross, from Chenango county, settled in 1825. Charles removed to Mina. Benjamin remained in Sher- man until his death, March 20, 1870. His daughter Almira married Orra Barley, and after his death, John Kidder ; they reside on her father's home- stead. A son, Benjamin, married Isabel, daughter of John Kidder ; Loren, another son, Louisa Buss. The wife of Benjamin Ross was Samantha


547


SHERMAN.


Heath, now the second wife of Loren Park. Of the sons of Mr. Ross, only Artemas, a lawyer at Clymer, is a resident of the county. A few years after Mr. Ross, came Miles Mark, George Williams, Wilber Palmer, and Dennis Heath.


In the vicinity of Waite's Corners, Sampson Vincent bought a large tract of land, lot 20, and adjacent lands, on which he built a saw-mill. His sons were Jay, James P. S., Jeremiah H., Drusser B., Walker B., John, William, and Stephen. Of the eight sons, only James, Walker, William, and Stephen reside in town. Three daughters were Rachel, Sarah, and Phebe ; the last, the only one living, is the wife of Edmund Jennings. Gershom Waite, in 1828, bought a part of lot 11, where he and his sons, Josiah and William, settled, from whom the "Corners " take their name. William H. Keeler settled on lot 28, where, for a time, he kept a store. He had two sons, Os- borne, deceased ; and William Henry, who resides in the " oil country."


In the east part of the town, Thaddeus Tibbals settled on lot 5, which he bought in 1828, where he resided till he died, in 1874, at the age of 93. His son Hiram lives on the homestead.


In the north part, Aretas Skinner, from Chenango Co., bought of his brother Otis, in 1825 or 1826, a part of lot 24, where he died. He was mar- ried, first, to Henrietta Day; second, to Malintha Hart. A son, Otis, and his mother live on the homestead ; George, another son, is in Kansas. Daugh- ters : Adaline and Emily, the latter the second wife of Stephen Cushing, of this town. Alanson Weed, from Ellery, settled on lot 31, in 1824 ; built a saw-mill ; and was a justice of the peace. George Hart, from Connecticut, settled early on lot 23 ; was a cloth-dresser by trade, and worked for Kip & Miller.


In the south part of the town, John La Due, in August, 1825, bought lot 34, on which, it is said, he and Jesse Newell built each a log house in March, 1826; and, in the ensuing summer, each built a small frame house ; the former on lot 29 ; the latter, on 38. La Due subsequently resided in other towns, [see sketch.]


The first town-meeting was held in 1833. The early town records having been lost, the officers elected at that meeting can not be ascertained, except the supervisor.


Supervisors from 1833 to 1875.


Otis Skinner, 1833, 35, '38. Benjamin H. Kip, 1834, '48, '49. Loren Park, 1836, '37, '51, '55. Platt S. Osborn, 1839, '44, '45. Lucius Cook, 1840 to '42. George Hart, 1843. John P. Hall, 1846, '47. Lester R. Dewey, 1850. Lewis Sperry, 1852, '53. Benj. J. Coffin, 1854. Wm. Green, 1856, '57. Miles J. Clark, 1858, '59. Henry Bliss, 1860, '61. Henry W. Sperry, 1862 to '65, '68. Sylvanus H. Myrick, 1866. Henry Sheldon, 1867. Alfred W. Benson, 1869. John T. Green, 1870 to '72, '74. Virgil A. Fen- ner, 1873. Jerome J. Dean, 1875.


The first saw-mill was built in 1825, by Alanson Weed, on the site of the mill afterward sold to Lester R. Dewey, on lot 31. The second saw-mill


548


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


was built in 1827 or 1828, about 272 miles below the village, by Elder Orange Spencer and his son-in-law, Eliab Skeels ; and the first log sawed in it was for Loren Park, who settled in 1825, about 4 miles south-west from the village, on lot 59. A year or two after, Spencer & Skeels attached to their mill machinery for grinding, which was the first grist-mill in town. For this, Obed Aldrich soon after substituted a complete mill, with two sets of burr stones, on the opposite side of the stream, on the same water-power. In May, 1832, Benjamin H. Kip, Otis Miller, and Elijah Miller, purchased the mill site on French creek, and lands contiguous, upon which the village of Sherman now stands. Under the firm of Miller & Kip, they immediately proceeded to erect a saw-mill ; and, in the ensuing spring, built a wool-card- ing and cloth-dressing establishment. [According to another statement, the mill was built in 1833, and the carding and cloth-dressing works in 1834.] Otis Miller, about the same time, erected a blacksmith shop on the site now occupied by Orrin Hopkins; and a tannery on that now occupied by Messrs. Osborne. "In 1838," says Mr. Gleason, " Mr. Kip and Elijah Miller erected a grist-mill, which proved of great utility to the inhabitants of this and the adjoining towns. Thus they, [the Millers and Mr. Kip,] became prominent in our town's history, and early laid the foundation of that pros- perity which has fallen to the lot of those who have succeeded them in this village." They are all deceased. Otis Miller died in 1839 while on a visit to Michigan ; Mr. Kip, in 1850, in this town ; Elijah Miller, in 1852, also in this town.


About the same time that Spencer & Skeels built their saw-mill, or soon after, Josiah R. Keeler is said to have " opened a small assortment of goods in the house of Asahel Hall, and immediately after erected a store and an ashery." It is also said that Elijah Miller put in his carding building, before the works were ready for operation, a stock of goods, and was the first mer- chant in Sherman village.


A saw-mill was built by Charles Ross, about 4 miles south of the village, on French creek ; was twice rebuilt, and has been discontinued. A saw-mill was built by Moses Derby, about 1854 or '55, and is now owned by Royal E. Park, who has converted it into a steam mill. Connected with the saw- mill is a machine for the manufacture of shingles and lath, and for turning. A steam mill was also erected by George Willis and Chauncey Heath, in 1872, on the site of the Ross mill.


BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.


RICHARD Buss, from England, settled on lot 62, in 1826, where he died in 1861. His sons were : William, original purchaser of lot 61, subsequent- ly owned by Edward Boorman, removed to Westfield, and now lives in Erie ; Edward, who resides in Mina; John, in Hudson, Ohio, where he was many years a merchant ; Richard, on lot 63 ; and George, on the homestead. A daughter, Mary, is the wife of Ora B. Pelton, Mina ; Anna, wife of Stephen Hewitt, deceased, lives with her son-in-law, Homer Ottaway, in Sherman.


Lester R Dewey


549


SHERMAN.


LESTER R. DEWEY was born in Herkimer, N. Y., July 24, 1802, and was married, March 23, 1825, to Fanny Patterson, who was born in Pompey, N. Y., Oct. 6, 1802. He came to Chautauqua Co., and settled on lot 39, now in Sherman, which he bought in r824, where he resided many years. He subsequently removed to the village, where his wife died. His was the first marriage in this town, and was solemnized by Otis Skinner, the first justice in the town. He held several town offices, and in 1850 was supervisor. His children were: 1. Calista Ann, wife of Charles Hall, in Sherman village, who had 4 children: Osmand L., who married Mary Barber; Franklin C., who mar- ried Roxa Driggs, of Westfield, and lives in New York; Fanny A .; and Lophe- lia M., who died at 18. 2. Talcott P., who married Mary Benson, removed to Iowa, and died there in March, 1874. They had three pair of twin daugh- ters, of whom are living, Lunette, wife of James Fay; and Lorette, wife of Andrew Hessner, both at Strawberry Point, Iowa ; Alpa ; Jay; and Fanny. The father and five children are deceased ; and the mother and five children living. 3. Perry C., who married Sarah Gill, and after her death, Matilda Goldsmith; had 3 children; two, Squire and Sarah, are living. 4. Alfred B., who married Maria Hubbard, and lives in the village. 5. Margaretta K., wife of Merritt Wolcott, whose children are Luella, Lester, Juliana, Carrie, and Dewey. 6. Lester R., Jr., who married Laura Benson, and had 3 children, 2 living, Mary and Eddie. 7. Chauncey M., who died in infancy. 8. Tyler T., who married Ellen Wilcox, and has three children, Ernest, Barnett, and Fanny.


DEARING DORMAN, born in New Haven, Conn., Dec. 20, 1797, removed to Batavia, N. Y., in 1804, and thence, in 1823, to this town, on lot 32, and afterwards settled on lot 22. In 1858, he removed to the village, where he now resides. He was the first settler in this town, and raised the first crop. [See p. 545.] He was married in 1818 to Huldah Perkins, by whom he had 12 children, besides two that died in infancy: I. Amasa, who married Mary Ann Wood, and lives at Union, Pa. 2. Archibald, who was the first child born in this town, and married Jane Stoddard, and lives in Chautauqua. 3. Luzerne, who married Mrs. Mary Huntley, and lives in Sherman. 4. Albert, who married Susan Horton, and resides in Sherman. 5. Elvira, wife of Gabriel Odell, Mayville. 6. Walter, who married Mary Anderson, and re- sides in Sherman. 7. Eliza, wife of Simeon Brumaghim, French Creek. 8. Emeline, who married Calvin Messenger ; live in Chautauqua. 9. Betsey, wife of George Messenger, in Harmony. ro. Dearing, married, and lives in Pennsylvania. 11. Huldah, who married Andrew Perkins ; resided in Ohio, where she died two years ago. 12. Riley, who married Hannah Haskins, and resides in Allegany Co. Mrs. Huldah Dorman died in 1866; and Mr. Dorman married for his second wife, Mary, widow of Addison Elderkin. Her maiden name was Mary Horton.


HIRAM N. GLEASON, son of David H. Gleason, was born in Farmington, Conn., April 17, 1800, and was married to Sarah Root, of that town. In September, 1824, he came to Sherman, and settled on lot 24, where he


ยท


550


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


resided until about 1850. He was among the most prominent and highly esteemed citizens in this town. His occupation was that of a farmer, having cleared and cultivated about 100 acres of land. He also served the public in various capacities. He was a magistrate in the town 16 years; was a commissioner of deeds, and a notary public. His general intelligence and knowledge of business, fitted him for drawing contracts and other instruments of writing. For this service he was much employed by his fellow townsmen. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of this town, from the time the church was organized until his death, May 28, 1872. Mr. Gleason was twice married. He had by his first wife 7 children : Francis M., Horace W., Gustavus L., Charles G., Charles E., Sarah Isabel, and Mary Antoinette ; all ' of whom have died, except Horace W., who was married to Ann Whitehill, of North-east, Pa., Feb. 14, 1855, and now lives in Mexico City, Missouri. H. N. Gleason was married, second, to Mrs. Abigail Hill, of Mina, Dec. 3, 1863, who had 2 children : Sarah Antoinette, born March 17, 1865, and died May 16, 1868 ; and Hiram N. Ernest, born September 16, 1866, and is still living. The mother of Mr. Gleason was Isabel North before her marriage, born in 1780, and was one of the descendants of those who came from England to Hartford with Rev. Mr. Hooker.


CHARLES HAWLEY, a native of Massachusetts, settled on lot 29, bought of Barna Bratt, the place being subsequently known as Presbyterian Hill, where was built. the first Congregational meeting-house, the land on which it was built being a donation from Mr. Hawley. [See Presbyterian Church. ] He resided where he at first settled, until his death. His son Charles resides on the homestead. Armenia, a daughter, the wife of the late Wm. Pelton, of Mina, now resides in Sherman.


ISAAC E. HAWLEY, from Fulton Co., settled in Mina, in 1832, and removed in 1847 to Sherman, where he commenced the mercantile business, which he continued till April, 1873. He was married, in 1830, to Mary R. Reed, and has a daughter, Mary Louisa, who married Sylvenus H. Merritt, and lives at Atna, near Pittsburgh, Pa. Mr. Hawley resides in the village.


BENJAMIN H. KIP was born at Johnstown, N. Y., April 27, 1797, and was married at Newark, N. Y., February 23, 1823, to Esther Miller, who was born April 27, 1803 ; removed to Sherman in 1832, and, in company with Otis and Elijah Miller, purchased the mill site in the village. He was one of the principal business men of the place, and, with his partners, is said to have laid'the foundation of its prosperity. [See p. 548.] He was supervisor of the town in the years 1834, '48, '49. He had 4 children : 1. Miranda P., wife of Samuel P. Hall, living near the railroad, in Chautauqua, on the Sherman line. Their children are Franklin K., Ada E., Clarence A., who died at 5, and John P. 2. Frances, wife, first, of Oliver Cooley ; second, of David M. Stever, present pastor [1874] of the M. E. church, Sherman. They had 5 children. 3. Adeline N., wife of Jerome J. Dean, and had 3 children : Allen J., Otto K., and James Delavan. Mrs. D. died Oct. 13, 1867 ; and Mr. D. married Mary Morris. 4. Jane Elizabeth, who married


Striem Dr. Clauson


B.tb. Klin,


551


SHERMAN.


Edwin T. Green, and has a daughter, Mary K. Mr. G. is a M. E. minister, at present [1874] at Bath, Steuben county, N. Y.


WILLIAM MAYBORN was born in England, May 9, 1786. He emigrated to America in 1823; came to Chautauqua county in 1825 ; settled on lot 61, and afterward removed to lot 62, on which he resided until 1871. He died in Sherman village in 1874. His wife died April 24, 1827. They had 6 children : 1. William A., who married Mary Willing, and after a year's residence in Mina, removed to Chautauqua. [See sketch, in Chautauqua.] 2. Mary J., the wife of Samuel Willing, who died in 1843. She resides in Chicago, Ill. 3. Julia A., who married Richard Willing, and resides in Ottawa, Kansas. 4. Joseph H., who married Theressa Johnson, and resides at Geneva, Ill. 5. Selina E., the wife of Henry Sheldon, in Sherman. 6. Jane S., who married George T. Simmons, and removed to Cincinnati, where she died. William Mayborn married for his second wife, Harriet Palmer, of New York city, Nov. 5, 1828, and had by her 6 children who attained to mature age : 1. Felix K., who married Susan Ottaway, of Mina, and after her death, Min. Porter, and resides in Kansas. He served several years in the late civil war. 2. Charles N., who married Sarah Wood, and served in the late war, and died of disease contracted in the army. 3. Charlotte, wife of J. D. Knowlton, at Columbus, Pa. .. 4. John G., who mar- ried Hannah Pratt, and died in the late war. 5. Harriet, wife of William Chambers, who died in January, 1874. 6. Thomas S., who also died in the army during the late war.


LOREN PARK was born in Wells, Vt., February 7, 1804, and removed from Granville, N. Y., to Sherman, and settled on lot 59, which he bought in May, 1825, where he resided until 1872, when he removed to the village. He has held several of the more responsible offices in the town, and for four years he represented the town in the board of supervisors. He married, first, Adaline Heath, and had 5 sons and 4 daughters : Ellen, Samantha, Royal, Loren, Amanda, Otis, Martha, John, Melvin. Royal, the proprietor of the mill ; Loren, on the old farm, and Melvin, reside in the town. John died at 21. Otis is in the oil country, in Pennsylvania. Ellen is the wife of George Pabody, in North-east, Pa. ; Samantha, the wife of Addison Beebe, in French Creek. Amanda, who married George Upton, of Clymer, deceased ; she resides in Ripley. Martha, the wife of Augustus Pabody, of Ripley. Mrs. Park died November 12, 1870. Mr. Park married, for a sec- ond wife, the widow of Benjamin Ross, whose maiden name was Samantha Heath.


RUEL PELTON, from Oneida Co., came to Sherman with his family in May, 1827, and settled on lot 63, bought by his son Ransom in 1824, where he resided till his death, in 1851. His wife died the same year, both being of the same age, 81 years. They had 14 children, of whom 3 died in infancy and childhood, and one at 17. Ten came to this county. Of the sons, Ransom, Ora B., William, and Charles, came to Sherman. Ransom removed to Portland in 1835 ; thence to Illinois, and is now in Iowa. Ora B. lives


552


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


in Mina, and Charles on the homestead. Sylvester, a physician, came later, [about 1844,] settled in Sherman village, and is now at Wellsville, Allegany Co. Four daughters, all now deceased, were married, as follows : Caroline, to Abram Dixon, of Westfield ; Lucinda, to Wm. Bradley, of Westfield ; Louis, to Dr. Carlton Jones, of Westfield ; and Mary, to Jesse Morgan, and removed to Ohio.


JOEL SHELDON, a native of Connecticut, came from Rutland Co., Vt., and settled, in 1829, in the south part of Westfield, where he resided until his death, April 11, 1859. He married Sarah Edgerton in Vermont. Their children were : 1. Sarah, who married Silas Kidder, and is deceased. 2. Harvey, who married Adaline Throop, and resides at Vinton, Iowa; an active supporter of temperance and religious institutions. 3. Hiram, a practicing physician, and died in Barry Co., Mich., aged 51. He had a son, John, who died of disease, in the late war. 4. Ira, who died at 35, in Kentucky, a school teacher. 5. Cornelia, wife of Mahlon Cook, in Vermont. 6. David E., married, and resides in Ripley. 7. John N., who died at 24. 8. Ezra R., who married Anna Howard, and resided in Westfield ; died in 1868, aged 54. A son, Dan H., was in the late war, and killed in the second battle of Bull Run. 9. Henry, who married Salina Mayburn, and resided in the south part of Westfield, a farmer ; is now a banker in Sherman. He had 2 sons : Ira Jay, who was killed in the battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862, aged 20 ; served about 2 years ; and George W., who resides with his father. 10. Mary A., wife of Cyrenus N. Wood, who died in the war, from sickness. 11. Chauncey L., who resides in Sherman. 12. David S., who married Susan Bailey, and resides in Sherman.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.