History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 71
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 71
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
AARON SMITH, son of Ebenezer, Jr., was born Oct. 8, 1792 ; was married, in 1820, to Laura Harrison, and had 10 children, of whom only 5 passed the age of childhood : Lucy, wife of Merlin Griffith, of Charlotte ; Cyrus, who resides in Hamilton, Minn .; Pomilla, with her father, unmarried ; Wil- liam, with his father, on the farm ; and Aaron, also at the home of his father. The marriage of Aaron Smith, Sr., was the first in the vicinity of Cassadaga.
569
STOCKTON.
Mrs. Smith was a daughter of Daniel W. Harrison, and adopted daughter of Ichabod Fisher.
OBED TAYLOR was born in Ashfield, Mass., July 29, 1791. His father was Edward Taylor, the youngest son of a family of ten children, of whom all lived to a ripe old age. One, Joshua Taylor, still lives in Marietta, O., 86 years of age. Obed came to Chautauqua county, in 1817; took up land in Pomfret, and, in 1819, settled in Stockton. In 1822, he was married to Mrs. Anna Sawtell, widow of Henry Sawtell, a millwright. This is said to have been the second marriage in Stockton. They had 4 sons and 2 daugh- ters ; also a step-son of Mr. Taylor, Henry Sawtell, who never knew any other father's care. The children were Sophia E., Dascum A., Emory G., Hascal L., Newton, and Lestina A. Sophia E. was married to Jasper Gold- ing, a farmer, in Stockton. Dascum was married, first, to Sarepta Horton ; and, after her decease, to Mrs. Persie Gardner. He is in the milling busi- ness, in company with Newton; both residing in Stockton. Newton married Lodema Emory. Hascal was married to Louisa Thomas, and resides in Fre- donia ; business, banking, and oil trade in Petrolia. Emory died, unmarried, at the age of 23. Lestina was married to Wm. Bradshaw, who is in the car- riage business at Jamestown. When Mr. T. came from Massachusetts, he traveled the entire distance on foot, the last time carrying on his back a pack weighing 24 pounds. The writer of his obituary notice says : " If ever he had an enemy, if ever a man heard him say aught in malice against another, or retail a slander, or knew him to be a party to a quarrel, it certainly was not one of his old neighbors who knew him best. Even the children in the school looked up to Uncle Obed with affectionate veneration. He was for many years a miller, and his integrity became proverbial. He had a native love of humor, a certain dry way of saying things, in which were often blend- ed much of keen good sense and genuine wit. *
* * During his last sickness, his doubts as to his adoption with the family of Christ were removed; and he regretted that he had not been baptized and connected himself with the church." He died Jan. 17, 1873, in his 82d year.
BELA TODD, a native of North Haven, Conn., removed from Fairfield, N. Y., to Chautauqua, and settled, in April, 1811, on lot 33, tp. 4, r. 12, now Stockton, having purchased the year before. His was the first house built on the road between Hartfield and the residence of William Barrows. He is said to have been a very industrious man, clearing away the forest at the rate of ten acres a year. He raised 15 children, a majority of them boys. Ora B., the oldest of them, and the only representative of the family in the town, resides near the late residence of his father, near Cooper's mills, on lot 11, to which the father removed in 1824, having sold his farm on Jot 33 to Henry Rhinehart. He died at the residence, of his son, Ora B., in 1862, aged 77 years.
ELISHA TOWER, a native of New Bedford, Mass., came, in 1812, from Du- anesburg, Schenectady Co., to Chautauqua, with his knapsack, provisions, a change of clothing, and an axe. He came by way of Cross Roads to Mayville,
570
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
where he labored awhile to replenish his scanty purse. , In the fall he took a job of chopping several acres at the Inlet, [Hartfield,] which he completed about the ist of April, 18rt a having boarded himself in a shanty erected by the side of a prostrate tree, furnished with little else than a blanket and a frying pan, his board consisting chiefly of johnny-cake and fried pork. In December, 1811, he took an article of the east half of lot 4, tp. 3, r. 12, where he resided until his death, except three years, from 1839 to 1842, during which time he lived in Jamestown. ""In 1812, he built a log house, in which he kept "bachelor's hall " for a time." In 1813, he was drafted into the war, and participated in the battle of Black Rock. In the autumn of 1814, he returned to Duanesburg, and, in June following, was married to Philena Mor- gan, of Berne, Albany Co. In 1817; they removed, with one child, to Ellery. The child having been taken ill, they were compelled to stop at the house of . W.m. Barrows, where the child died. He removed into his log cabin ; but he soon built a commodious frame house, in which the family resided until 1834, when he built a large two story house. Mr. Tower held several of the more important town offices in Ellery, including that of justice of the peace, the duties of which were faithfully discharged. He died Jan: 6, 1866, aged nearly 78. His wife died December 17, 1860. Their children born in this county, were 3 sons and 3 daughters. The sons were : Elisha, who resides in Portland ; Simeon M., who owns and occupies the south part of his fath- er's homestead, and resides on the east side of the town line in Gerry ; and Corydon L., the youngest of the family, who resides on the old homestead. The 3 daughters are : Rhoda A., wife of Ebenezer Moon, of Moon station, in Stockton ; Clarissa D., unmarried ; and Emily M., the youngest, and wife of B. Frank Dennison.
CALVIN WARREN, a native of Windham, Conn., removed in 1816 to Stock- ton, 172 m. north from Delanti, where he resided until his death, in 1827. He came with a team of two yoke of oxen, and was six weeks in performing the journey. His family consisted of himself, his wife, and three children, Chauncey, Martius, and Sybil." He enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens, and was elected the first supervisor of the town, in 1821, and again in 1822 and 1826.
CHAUNCEY WARREN, son of Calvin, was born in Conn., April 22, 1802, and came to Stockton in 1827.f. He was married in 1823 to Sally Knowlton, of Conn., and after his father's death, settled on the old farm, and subsequently on a farm adjoining, where he now resides. :- His wife died in February, 1874. Their children were. 1. Amos:K: [Sk. below.] .. 2. Jabez W., who married Myra Grant, and resides at Delanti. : He has a son, Chauncey. 3. Lucien C., who married Mary Ar Crissey, and resides on the old homestead. His chil- dren were Miner S., who died at the age of 10 years, from the falling of a tree ; Minnie D., and Archie D. His second son, Calvin, died in infancy.
AMOS K. WARREN, son of Chauncey Warren, was born in Windham county, Conn., February 24, 1824, and came with his father's family to Stock- ton, in 1827. He received a good and practical education, which was com-
Charnay
571
STOCKTON.
pleted at the Fredonia academy. In 1845, he was married to Helen A. Moore, of the same town ; their only child, Sarah De Ette, dying in 1861, at the age of thirteen. Until 1862, he continued a farmer, and a resident of Stockton. In agricultural matters he was much interested. Observing the utility of many improvements in farm implements, he proved to others their advantages. In 1862, he was appointed under-sheriff, by Charles Kennedy, the sheriff, and removed to Mayville, and had charge of the sheriff's office, and the management of the county jail. Having, by the faithful discharge of the duties of the office, gained the confidence of the people, he was, in 1864, elected sheriff ; and again were the duties of the office performed with promptness and ability. He, with other citizens of Mayville, took an early and active part in effecting the organization of the Buffalo, Corry & Pittsburgh railroad company, and procuring the means for the construction of the road. He was director and secretary from 1865 until its transfer to another management in 1873. Designing to make Mayville his permanent home, he is active in promoting all local interests and im- provements.
CHURCHES.
Baptist Churches .- A Baptist church was formed in Chautauqua, in 1808. John Putnam, David Atkins, Edmund Jones, John Park, Miles Scofield, Sabra Putnam, Hannah Park, Abigail Scofield, and Sally Scofield, met at John Putnam's, near Chautauqua lake, 21/2 miles south of Dewittville, with a view to the organization of a church. A council was subsequently called for this purpose. The council, composed of Elders Peter P. Roots, of Fa- bius ; Joel Butler, of Sangerfield ; Hezekiah Eastman, and Joy Handy, met on the roth of October, and received the brethren and sisters into fellowship as a church. On the next day, the council ordained Edmund Jones to the gospel ministry. In February, 1817, the church was geographically divided by a line running due east from the lake, leaving John Putnam in the First church of Chautauqua. In July, Mr. Putnam was ordained deacon. In April, 1821, after the town of Stockton had been formed from Chautauqua, the name of the church was changed to The First Church of Stockton, its present name ; and the school-house near Miles Scofield's, in school district No. I, was established as the regular place for meetings of the church. Among the early members of the church were Henry Walker, Shadrach Sco- field, David Knowlton, David Waterbury, Almon Ives, Epenetus Winsor, John McCollister, and Elisha Tower. In October following, the inhabitants of this school district and vicinity were organized, under the act of the legis- lature, as the First. Baptist Congregational Society of Stockton. Being one of the first two incorporated religious societies in the town, it became en- titled to the donation of 50 acres of land from the Holland Land Company.
Baptist Church at Delanti. Soon after the war of 1812, several families of Baptists, or of persons favorable to that denomination, settled in the valley of Bear creek. Among these families were those of Benj. Miller, Abel Thompson, Samuel Crissey, Gould Crissey, and John Mitchell. Early in the
572
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
winter of 1815-16, Rev. John Spencer, a Congregational missionary, is said to have appointed a meeting on a sabbath ; and stated meetings were imme- diately thereafter commenced. We are not informed that Mr. Spencer con- tinued with them as a preacher. Probably he did not, as we read that meet- ings were led by Samuel Crissey, Benj. Miller, and Gould Crissey; and that sermons were read by Ethan Cooley and Horace Thompson. Singing was performed by the congregation without notes. On the 12th of March, 1817, the hand of fellowship was given to seven brethren and sisters, as the "Third Baptist Church in Chautauqua." Their names were Samuel Crissey, Benj. Miller, Gould Crissey, Edward Ellis, Patty Ellis, Ruth Crissey, Susanna Bid- well. The ministers present were Joy Handy and Asa Turner. The number of members increased during the first year to eighteen. They were supplied in part by Elder Ebenezer Smith, then 84 years old. He lived until he was nearly 90. The names of ministers, who have been called to the pastorate of this church, are Elisha Gill, 1823; Washington Winsor, 1827; Isaac Saw- yer, 1834 ; Oren Witherell, 1835 ; Sardis Little, 1837 ; Judah L Richmond, 1840 ; S. P. Way, 1845 ; Arah Irons, 1849; B. C. Willoughby, 1851; Elder Howard, 1854; J. Elliott, 1857; A. Kingsbury, 1859; A. L. Freeman, 1861; L. J. Fisher, 1864 ; Samuel Adsit, 18 --. Many have also rendered efficient service as temporary supplies, among whom were Alanson Waugh, David Bernard, J. W. Sawyer, Zattu Cushing, H. B. Kenyon. The deaconship has been held by Gould Crissey, Ethan Cooley, John Grant, Charles Bacheller, Jason Crissey, and Chester Thompson. A meeting-house was built in 1832.
A Congregational Church was formed by the missionary, Rev. John Spen- cer, said by some to have been as early as 1815-and perhaps earlier-con- sisting of 9 members, 3 males and 6 females, but the names of all are not recollected ; among them are believed to be the following : Ichabod Fisher and wife, and his mother, Oliver Cleland, - Lewis, Laura Miller, Amy Johnson, and others. This church, some years later, about 1830, it is be- lieved, adopted the Presbyterian form of government, and subsequently, about 1840, changed back to the Congregational form. A meeting-house having been built, designed for the Christian church, and not taken after its completion, the proprietor sold it to the Congregational society. On the union of this society with the Methodist church, the house of worship was conveyed to the latter in 1857 or 1858. Early ministers of the Congrega- tional and Presbyterian church, were Amasa West, Mr. Washburn, Hugh Wallis, Obadiah C. Beardsley, James Wilson, Mr. Hoyt, Mr. Carpenter, Mr. Monroe, Mr. Amsden, Reuben Willoughby, James Henry, Mr. Bliss.
A Methodist Church was formed in the west part of the town, about 1828 or 1829, or, as some think, a few years earlier. Among the members of the first class, were Titus Johnson, Ephraim Sanford, Jas. Morrell, John Brown, and their wives, [as stated from recollection, there being no records to refer . to ;] and soon after, the following : Daniel Johnson, - McClelland, Absa- lom Johnson, and their wives, Daniel Walradt, Sarah Ann Brown. Among their early preachers were Hiram Kinsley, Darius Williams, Francis A.
573
VILLENOVA.
Dighton, William Todd, Lorenzo Rogers, J. Luce. As has been stated, the Congregational church gave up its organization, and its members joined the Methodists ; and the united society became possessed of the present house of worship, previously owned by the Congregationalists. Later ministers of the Methodist church have been, Ralph R. Roberts, - Eberman, John Akers, F. F. Stuntz, Rufus Pratt, - - Shurick, Geo. W. Gray, David Miz- ener, Charles Woodworth, Francis A. Archibald, Wm. Bear, M. Smith.
The Christian Church was organized at Delanti, in 1825, Rev. Joseph Bailey officiating. The members at the time of organization, or soon after, were Newell Putnam, Gilbert Putnam, Abel Brunson, John Newberry, Aretus Rogers, Henry Rhinehart, Festus Jones, Heron Scofield, and their wives, Lester Newberry, Solomon Tyler, Stephen Williams, Fanny White, Mrs. Belinda Porter, Naomi Searls, Worthy Putnam, Warren Coe and wife. Min- isters were Joseph Bailey, Oliver Barr, George Bailey, Edward Mosher, Buzzel. Meetings were held in a school-house. The society was discon- tinued in 1863.
The Methodist Church at Oregon was formed about 1840. In the absence of early records, the following sketch is given from memory by persons re- siding there at the time of its formation. Rev. John Wood formed a class, consisting of Mary Ann Flagg, Abraham Van Wirt and wife, Mrs. Charlotte Picket, Laura Ann Wilder, Rebecca Newton, and perhaps others. Abraham Van Wirt was leader of the class. Early preachers werc, Rev. Mr. Barris, Mr. Cummings, Valorus Lake, Orsamus P. Brown ; the present preacher, [1873,] Rev. M. Smith. Meetings were held for many years in a school- house. Their present meeting-house was built in 1866.
The Cassadaga Baptist Church was organized with 37 members, May 8, 1843. [A sketch of this church has not been furnished. ] Their first house of worship was built in 1835. It was repaired and materially improved in 1869. The first pastor was Rev. Elisha Johnson ; the present one, [1873;] Rev. A. Kingsbury.
Union Church, [United Brethren in Christ,] at Pleasant Valley, was organ- ized, with 19 members, in 1862, by Rev. Joseph Hoyt, the first pastor. The church edifice was erected in 1871.
VILLENOVA.
VILLENOVA was taken from Hanover, Jan. 24, 1823. A part of Arkwright was taken from Villenova in 1829. The latter now comprises township 5, of the 10th range. Its surface is rolling in the south-east, and broken and hilly in the center and north. The highest summit is about 900 feet higher than Lake Erie. Its principal streains are the two branches of the Connewango creek. On the western border of the town is Mud lake, the greater part of which lies in Arkwright, the outlet of which is the principal tributary of the
574
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
southern branch of the Connewango. Near the north border, on lot 24, is East Mud lake, the outlet of which is the greatest tributary of the eastern branch, which unites with the other branch on lot 2, a little above where the united stream crosses the east line into Cattaraugus county.
Original Purchases in Township 5, Range to.
1809. Oct., Ezra Puffer, 19, 27, 36. John Kent, 2. Daniel Whipple, 3. 1810. March, John Kent, Jr., 3. April, Reuben Wright, Jr., 22. June, John Arnold, 19. July, Benj. Sweet, 11, 18. Oct., Charles Mather, 4.
1815. June, Eldad Corbet, Jr., II.
1816. March, Villeroy Balcom, 10.
1817. May, James Congdon, 14. Nov., Augustin Wright, 52.
1818. March, Daniel Wright, 20. April, Enos Matteson, 64. May, Sylvanus Wright, 20.
1819. May, Auren G. Smith, 43.
1820. May, Nathaniel Warner, 36.
1821. October, Nathaniel Warner, 35.
1 822. March, Noah Strong, 64. June, Nathaniel Warner, Jr., 43. Octo- ber, Wm. J. Straight, 58.
1823. May, Arad Wheeler, 14. June, James H. Ward, 15.
1824. December, Phineas T. Judd, 27.
1825. April, Samuel Geer, Jr., 48. Thomas White, 48. Josiah H. White, 24. Wheeler B. Smith, 24.
1826. January, Henry Waters, 33. August, John Pope, 62. December, Thomas Howard, 50.
1827. October, Villeroy Balcom, 17. Nathaniel Warner, 63.
In answer to a request for information respecting the early settlement of Villenova, Dr. Austin Pierce, a resident of this town, gave the following names of early settlers and the years in which they respectively settled in the town. The statements were made upon the authority of early settlers in the town, more than twenty years ago, when early occurrences were fresh in their recollections ; and are therefore likely to be correct.
"The first settler in town was Daniel Whipple, a native of Deerfield, Mass., who came from Litchfield, Herkimer county, N. Y., to Villenova in 1810. In the same year came John Kent and Eli Arnold. William and Benjamin Barrass and Roderick Wells came about the year 1811, and resided here about 20 years. Near the same time came Charles Mather, Captain Sweet, and Nathaniel Bowen : they remained but a short time. Bowen was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was killed in the battle near Buffalo, in 18x 3. Ezra Puffer, a native of Sudbury, Mass., came in 1812 ; removed in 1843 to Northern Indiana, where he died. Villeroy Balcom, a native of Sudbury, [probably Mass.,] and Erza Corbet, son of Eldad, born in Mendon, Mass., came in 1815. He was a brother-in-law of Daniel Wright. His father was a Revolutionary soldier. Charles Wright came in 1816. This," Dr. P. says, " brings the account to the time of the Wright family. Most of the settlers who came before and after this time, were from Litchfield, Herkimer county. Among those who came after the Wrights, from Litchfield, were the family of Nathaniel Warner, the Smiths, and Congdons, most of whose descendants are [1853] still here."
As has been elsewhere remarked, priority of purchase is not a certain
575
VILLENOVA.
indication of priority of settlement. Ezra Puffer's is the earliest purchase in Villenova, on record-October 28, 1809 ; the dates of the purchases of John Kent and Daniel Whipple, are two days later, [the 30th,]-all in 1809, the year before Whipple is said to have settled in the town. The name of Eli Arnold as an original purchaser does not appear at all. [His land was prob- ably that which, in the Company's book, is set to the name of John Arnold as purchaser of lot 19, June, 1810.] Nor do the names of William and Benjamin Barrows appear. They probably bought lands which had been previously articled to others. It appears from the list of original purchases, that Charles Mather, Benjamin Sweet, and Nathaniel Bowen, all bought in 1810 ; Mr. Balcom not until March, 1816, though he may have become a resident earlier. Eldad Corbet, Jr., bought on lot Ir in June, 1815; but Arza's name does not appear. Charles Wright, said to have settled in 1816, does not appear as an original purchaser, though several of the family do so appear ; none, however, before 1817. [Reuben Wright, Jr., who bought on lot 22, April, 1810, was probably not of the same family.] The names of Nathaniel Warner, a number of Smiths, and James Congdon, appear in the list of original purchases.
It will appear, by referring to the Land Company's books, that a greater number of purchases were made during the five years, from 1823 to 1827; inclusive, than during the eighteen years, from 1809 to 1822. It appears also that with the year 1827, in which the sales were more numerous than in any preceding year, except 1826, sales close abruptly, while in most of the towns of the county, they dwindle gradually until 1831, with which year the book list ends. This sudden cessation of the entrance of sales on the Hol- land Company's books is accounted for by the general sale, by the Company, in 1828, of all their unsold lands in the roth and 11th ranges, and township I, range 12, with the exception of the town of Gerry. These lands were sold to James O. Morse, Levi Beardsley, and Alvin Stewart, known as the "Cherry Valley Company," they being residents of Cherry Valley. The number of acres in this town sold to this Company was 5,246.
Eli Arnold, born in Great Barrington, Mass., Sept. 1, 1772, after a resi- dence successively in Albany, N. Y., Pownal, Vt., Litchfield and Williamstown, N. Y., removed to Villenova, in 1810. He settled on lot 19, which was pur- chased in 1810, where he resided until his death, July 5, 1857. His father. David Arnold, a native of Conn., died in Villenova, March 17, 1822, aged 82. His wife, born in Conn., Oct. 15, 1740, died in this town, at the age of 96. John Arnold, brother of Eli, was a Methodist preacher, and died, aged 92.
Wm. Pierce, born in Vermont, Sept. 27, 1795 ; removed to Jefferson Co., N. Y., with his father ; and in 1815 he removed to Villenova, and finally set- tled on a part of the land purchased by his father-in-law, Eli Arnold, lot 19. His wife was Rachel Arnold. His sons were Luther, who lives near his father ; John, who died at 19, in Ohio; David, who died in 1875. Daugh- ters : Martha ; Elsie, wife of John Weed, Cherry Creek ; Delia, wife of Wm. Moon ; they reside near her father's.
576
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Wright Families .- As will appear from the following sketches, there were five brothers who came from Herkimer Co., and settled nearly at the same time. Augustin, Daniel, and Sylvanus appear as original purchasers.
Charles Wright, whose name is not among those of the original purchasers, is said to have settled on lot 11, in 1816, bought by Eldad Corbet in 1815. He removed several years ago to Wisconsin, and died there. A daughter, the wife of George Dye, resides in town. He had several sons, none of whom reside in the county.
Augustin Wright also is said to have taken a part of lot 11, in 1817, though his original purchase appears to have been in May, 1817, of a part of lot 52, on which he settled, and where he still resides, aged upwards of fourscore years. His sons are : Clark and Richard S., in Linden, Wisconsin ; Wey- man, harness-maker, Fredonia ; Augustin, in town ; Darwin, at home, on the tarm. A daughter, Mary Ann, is the wife of Obed Young; they live in Fre- donia.
Lewis Wright settled on lot 20, in 1817, it is said, and, after several re- movals in town, removed to Wisconsin, where he now resides. None of his family remain in this town.
Daniel Wright settled on lot 20, where he bought in 1818, and died in 1871. His sons were : Edmund, who resides in the south-east part of the town, married Polly Judd, and whose children are Wilder, who married Anna Mount ; Huldah, wife of Jackson Dye; Ruth, wife of John C. Dye ; Nancy, wife of Marvin J. Hamlin ; Wm. W., who died at 19; and James, a twin brother, who married Alma Bettis. James, another son of Daniel Wright, died on his father's homestead, now owned by his son Daniel. Dan- iel Wright had also a daughter, Grace, wife of Wm. Crowell, deceased. She lives with her son Edmund, in Hamlet.
Sylvanus Wright bought, in 1818, a part of lot 20. He subsequently set- tled on lot 52 ; and removed thence to Hamlet, where he now resides. His sons are : Abel J. ; Theron ; Sylvanus A., who lives in Iowa; Melvin and Myron, in this town. Daughters : Susan, widow of Signor Brinsor; and Sarah, married, and living in Massachusetts.
The following are the names of early settlers, many of them of a later date than most of those before mentioned :
In the vicinity of Hamlet, James Congdon bought, in 1817, a part of lot 44, on which his sons settled. Amos, one of the sons, died there ; and Icha- bod subsequently settled on the farm. A son, Lewis, resides near his father. Auren G. Smith, from Herkimer Co., in 1819, bought lot 43, and, with his brother, built the first saw-mill at Hamlet, on the present site of Orton's mill. Phineas T. Judd settled on lot 27. He died a few years ago. His sons Charles and George reside in the town. Asahel Hills, first on lot 52, settled on lot 36; deceased. His sons, Hoel and Kneeland G., reside in town. John Spencer, from Herkimer Co., settled early on lot 43 ; removed to the south part of the town, and thence to lot 35, where his wife died. His sons were : John, deceased ; Reuben, who resides in Mich .; Arden, a preacher of
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.