History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 72
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 72
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
577
VILLENOVA.
the United Brethren, who died in January, 1874; Andrew and James, who live in Ohio. Henry Sessions settled a mile north-westerly from Hamlet, where he still resides. He has pursued, successively, the varied business of a farmer, merchant, and cattle-dealer. His sons are Lawrence, Manley, and Elmer.
Hiram Cornell, from Port Jervis, N. Y., to Hanover, in 1835, removed to Villenova in 1840, on lot 55, now owned by Crawford Stearns ; thence to lot 36, near the center of the town. He was married to Polly Pomeroy. Their children were Mary, deceased, wife of Albert Stilwell ; Rachel,' wife of John Stearns, Coldwater, Michigan ; Harry, in Minnesota ; Hiram P., who married Ruth A., daughter of Reuben Warner, and resides at Hamlet. Their chil- dren are George Albert, Milton G., Arthur M., and Herman M.
Allen Lee Brunson came from Cherry Creek to the south part of Villenova, about IS38 ; thence to Hamlet, where he now resides. He was for 23 years a constable, and part of the time collector of taxes. His children were Daniel H., now in Forestville ; Frederick S., a farmer, near the center of the town ; Mary Ann, who married Edmund W. Crowell, in Hamlet, a grandson of David Crowell.
George Wilson, from Jefferson Co., settled at Hamlet, where he has for many years pursued the trade of wagon and carriage maker. His first wife was Sophia Jackson ; the second, Laura A. Ewing. He has three children living : Sophia, wife of Lyman H. Lewis, Busti ; Abner, business partner of his father ; and Ina. Mr. W. is serving his fourth term as justice of the peace.
In the east and north-east parts of the town, Jesse Goldthwait settled on lot 4, bought in 1810 by Charles Mather. His sons, Jesse and Hiram, reside in the town ; Jesse, on the homestead. John Fluker settled on lot 5, where he died. His son-in-law, Wm. Newcomb, resides on the homestead. The sons, James and William, live in the same part of the town ; James, near the homestead. Gamaliel Collins settled on lot 22 ; has been for several years, and is now, a justice of the peace. Two daughters, Fanny and Philena, live at home. Alexander Gillett was an early settler on lot 16; his sons, Benja- min and Perry, reside in town.
In the north-west part of the town, Noah Strong, in 1822, bought lot 64, on which he settled, where his son Hiram resides. Samuel Geer, Jr., settled on lot 48, which he bought in 1825, where his widow and son, Delos, now reside. John Stilwell, in 1827, settled on lot 63 ; removed to Cherry Creek, where he died. His son Albert resides in Hamlet ; Sylvester, in Cleveland, Ohio ; and William, in Missouri. John Pope settled early on lot 56. His sons were Horatio G., supervisor in 1870; Chester, in Michigan ; Harrison, in Hanover ; Almon and William, in town ; and Daniel, in the eastern part of the state. John Ferry settled on lot 54, where he died. His sons were Nathaniel and John, both deceased; and Clark, Anson, and Julius, who reside in the town. Isaac Corey, from Long Island, with four sons, settled early on lot 53. The sons were Hoel, now in Cherry Creek; Medad S., physician, at Hamlet ; Henry, in town ; George, in Laona.
37
578
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
In the north part of the town, James Hamlin settled on lot 38, where his widow and sons, Albert and Willard, reside. Orren S. Harmon settled early on lot 38. He was for many years a teacher and town superintendent of schools. He has a son, Baron, aged about 16. Had two daughters : Orpha, wife of Seward Gray, and Ellen, who died unmarried. Daniel Ball settled early on lot 38, where he still resides. His sons are James, who resides in Penn .; George and Silas, near their father; John, in Hanover ; Daniel, a Wesleyan preacher ; Wesley, in Penn. ; Joshua, in Arkwright ; Linus A. and Jonathan, in town. George Ball, brother of Daniel Ball, Sr., settled in the south-cast part of the town, and died in Perrysburgh. John Eastman settled on lot 39, where Wm. H. Knapp resides. Of his six sons, only Henry resides in town. William Burk settled on lot 31 ; removed to Hanover, and has since returned to the north-east part of the town, where he and his son Irvin reside.
In the central part of the town, David Crowell settled on lot 36, and about two years after, on lot 28. He died at Hamlet in 1860. His sons were Samuel, who died in Hanover ; David, who settled on lot 30, where he died, and where John M. Smith now resides; Andrew, who died at Hamlet in 1874; James, who resides in Penn .; William, deceased; Martin, who mar- ried Louisa, daughter of Daniel McBride, and resides at Hamlet. Eliza. daughter of David Crowell, was the wife, first, of Nicholas L. Allen ; second, of Hiram Cornell, who also is dead. She resides in the town. Solomon, brother of David Crowell, Sr., settled near the center of the town. His sons were Cicero, Lucius, Solomon, and Truesdell, all deceased. Abraham, brother of Solomon and David, Sr., lived at the center of the town, and died there. His sons were Hiram; Nelson, dead ; La Fayette; Abraham, on the father's homestead, and Ira-all in town, except Hiram, who is in Penn.
Isaac Cummings settled near the center, on lot 37, and died in Cherry Creek, where he resided with his son Henry. His other and older sons were Isaac, who resided in the north-west part of the town, removed West. and died there ; Clark, in Cherry Creek ; John, who died inany years ago on the homestead. He had two daughters : Susan, wife of Horatio Pope ; and Sarah, wife of Harrison Pope, in Hanover.
In the south part of the town, Benj. Vincent, a blacksmith, settled. He afterwards bought a farm. His son Joseph is on the farm with his father : Franklin, another son, is deceased. Mark Markham settled on lot 25; now lives at Hamlet. His sons, Melvin and Adelbert, reside in town. John Dennison settled on lot 25, and died there. His son Curtis is on the home- stead of his father; another son, Edwin, on the farm formerly owned by Nathan Stoddard, adjoining the other ; Sidney, in Cherry Creek ; Henry and Thomas, gone West. George B. Aldrich settled on lot 51 ; afterwards re- moved to lot 25. He had two sons: Clark, who died many years ago ; and John, who resides with his father.
In the south-west part of the town, Wm. J. Straight, in 1822, bought a part of lot 58, on which he settled, and where he still resides. His son, Wm. J.,
579
VILLENOVA.
is a merchant in Forestville. Thomas Howard settled on lot 50, bought in Dec., 1828, where his son Dallas resides. Daniel Ruttenbur settled early on lot 41, and is deceased. His sons, Porter S., Daniel C., and Jerome, reside there.
In the south-east part of the town, James Cook settled about 40 years ago. on lot 19, early taken up by Ezra Puffer, and still resides there. Paul Cush- man settled on lot 18. His sons are Abraham, a physician in Crawford Co., Pa. ; Alonzo, a merchant, first at Wright's Corners, now at Cassadaga ; and Adelbert, who resides in Cattaraugus Co. Isaac Phillips settled on lot 41. where he died a few years ago. His sons, Addison and Samuel, reside in Poland ; Frederick and Hampton, in town ; William, in Rutledge; and Zar- dius, in Sinclairville. John Kent settled on lot 2, bought in 1809, where he built the first mills in town. He removed to Gowanda, where he died. His sons were John, an early Methodist preacher, who resides in Livingston Co. ; James, removed to Ohio. A daughter, Polly, was the wife, first, of Dr. Dighton ; second, of - - Moffitt. None of the family are now in town.
The first town-meeting in Villenova was held in the year 1823. The names of the officers elected are as follows :
Supervisor-Ezra Puffer. Town Clerk-Milton Foot. Assessors-Daniel Wright, Isaiah Martin, Villeroy Balcom. Collector-Charles Wright. Over- seers of Poor-Alvah Simons, Nathaniel Warner. Com'rs of Highways --- Nathaniel Smith, Stephen P. Kinsley. Constables-Auren G. Smith, Charles Wright. Com'rs of Schools-Daniel Wright, Alvah Simons, John Weaver. Inspectors of Schools-Hiram Kinsley, Ezra Puffer, Milton Foot.
Supervisors from 1823 to 1875.
Ezra Puffer, 1823, '24. Villeroy Balcom, 1825 to '30, '32, '48-8 years. Daniel Wright, 1831, '41. Henry Allyn, 1833. Austin Pierce, 1834 to '36, 39, '49. John C. Dibble, 1837. Luther Pierce, 1838. Nathan Gurney. 1840, '44. Joseph G. Hopkins, 1842, '43. George Hopkins, 1845 to '47. Timothy G. Walker, 1850, '51. Martin Crowell, 1852, '54, '55, 1858 to '62. '64, '66, '67-11 years. Hiram Cornell, 1853. James Wright, 1856, '57. Horace Burgess, 1863. Medad S. Corey, 1864. Tyler H. Searle, 1868, '69. 72, '73. Horatio G. Pope, 1870. Rollin L. Shepard, 1871. Julius A. Ferry, 1874. David S. Bennett, 1875.
The first saw-mill and grist-mill [corn cracker] in Villenova, were built by John Kent in the south-east part of the town. A complete grist-mill was afterwards put in the place of the corn mill. The saw-mill was rebuilt by James Parker. No mill remains there. This place was said to be the "head of navigation " on the Connewango. A saw-mill, the first in Hamlet, was built by Auren G. Smith and his brother Nathaniel. A mill is now there owned by Orton Crowell. Nathaniel Smith afterwards built a grist-mill about 80 rods below, subsequently turned into a tannery, owned by Martin L. Stevenson, and destroyed by fire. Stephen Landers commenced a grist-mill about 10 or 12 years ago, at Hamlet ; afterwards bought and completed by Crowell & Shepard, present proprietors. Loren Scott built a grist-mill and a
580
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
saw-mill on the farm now occupied by Wm. J. Straight ; no mill now there. Nathan Worden built a saw-mill 172 m. east from Hamlet, where, for many years, have been a grist-mill and a saw-mill, now owned by Eri M. Sanderson.
James L. Brown built the first carding and cloth-dressing establishment at Hamlet, where now is the grist-mill of Crowell & Shepard. A carding machine is now connected with their grist-mill. Carding was also done in the south-east part of the town, on the Connewango.
An iron foundry was built, about 1860, by Hickey & Howard, and owned, successively, by James Howard, by Martin Crowell, and Crowell & Shepard, and Lemuel Hickey, its present proprietor. A planing-mill, propelled by the same power, is owned by Martin Crowell.
The first store is supposed to have been kept at Wright's Corners, by Grover & Norris; the next at that place, by Joseph Hopkins. A small store was kept at V. Balcom's, in a part of his house, about 1830, perhaps earlier. But the date of neither has been ascertained. The first store at' Hamlet was that of Daniel Cross and Asal Goodyear, about 1827. Present merchants-Dry goods, Shepard & Sessions Brothers ; Wilcox and Clark. At Villenova, Maples & York ; grocer, Henry Taft.
Present harness-maker, Hiram P. Cornell, at Hamlet. Wagon and carriage makers, George Wilson & Son, Hamlet.
John Kent, John P. Kent, and John Dighton, in the summer of 1812, cut out the first road, through the heavy forest, from what was then called Kent's mill, in Villenova, through Cherry Creek, to Kennedyville ; for which they received from the Holland Company $10 per mile. This road followed the line of the Connewango Valley, on what was then known as the Indian trail. The present traveled road, running north and south through the town, is on higher land ; but little of the old road being used. A road was also cut out by John Kent from his mill in the south-east part of Villenova, run- ning in a south-easterly course through Cherry Creek to Sinclairville. This has been known as the Old Kent road. The only early settlers in this town, on this road, were Gardner Crandall and Isaac Curtis, who settled on lot 23, in 1816.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.
JOHN C. ALLISON was born in Newburgh, Orange Co., N. Y., February 10, 1806. His mother died when he was but five days old; and he was adopted by his grandparents, with whom he lived until the death of his grand- father, he being then 14 years of age. He worked upon a farm, and attended the district school until about 17, after which he was engaged in teaching about 8 years. At the age of 25, he united with the Presbyterian Church, in Marlboro', Ulster Co., and soon after commenced a course of study prepara- tory to the work of the ministry. Having changed his views on the subject of baptism, he joined the Baptist Church, in 1833. He was married to Charlotte Bailey, of Marlboro', May 14, 1833, and on the same day both were baptized, and united with the Baptist Church, in Lattingtown. On the 24th of September following, he was ordained to the work of the ministry ;
581
VILLENOVA.
and in October, he moved to Holland, Erie Co., N. Y. After a few months, aided by the Home Missionary Society, he entered the missionary field, in Canada, having removed with his family to St. Catharines, where he remained until the troubles attending the Patriot War so unfavorably affected his efforts for good, that he returned to Erie county, and was employed by the Buffalo Association as a missionary among the destitute churches. In January, 1839, he became pastor of the Baptist Church in Evans, and labored there successfully until March, 1842. He thereafter ministered, successively, to the Lagrange, Silver Creek, Hanover Center, and Versailles Baptist Churches. At Versailles, where he settled in 1846, he occupied the parsonage farm eight years. His farm work, together with his pastoral duties, gave little time for rest, and impaired his constitution. While laboring here, his wife died ; and on the 25th of May, 1852, he was married to Miss E. Webster. In 1854, he was called to the Church at Nashville. He purchased a small farm, and again alternated farming and preaching, and for a few years sup- plied the churches of Nashville and Cherry Creek, and gave up pastoral labors. In September, 1865, he sold his farm, designing to minister again to the church at Versailles. But the anticipated relation was never consumina- ted. He died June 2, 1866, at the house of his son-in-law, Charles Dye, in Villenova. He had, by his first marriage, three children : Luther B., who married Apolina P. Scott, of Waverly ; was a teacher many years ; removed. in 1866, to Missouri, where he was a county school commissioner, and is now principal of the high school in Butler, Bates Co., Mo. ; Louisa, wife of Benjamin C. Barlow, of Pomfret ; and Mary Elizabeth, wife of Charles Dye, of Villenova.
ARNOLD BLACKMAR, from Green county to Wayne, and thence to Chau- tauqua, settled one mile east from Hamlet, where he died January, 1857. He came with his family in March, 1827. He had 10 children, of whom 6 lived to maturity : Henry, Arad; Sally, Levestus, Altheda, and Sherebiah. Henry is married, and is in Iowa; Arad, dead ; Sally, in town ; Levestus, half a mile east from Hamlet ; has a daughter, Helen, the wife of George Washburn ; Altheda and Sherebiah, both unmarried, reside in town.
JOHN DYE, from Chenango county, settled early in Villenova, on lot 20, where he resided until his death. Few settlers have contributed more largely to the peopling of the county, than Mr. Dye. He was married twice, and had 14 sons and 4 daughters. The sons, by the first marriage, were John. Avery, Asa, and Harry ; by the second marriage, George, Elias, Daniel, Ledgaard, Joseph, Lafayette, Abel, Thomas, A. Jackson, and Elisha. John,. Avery, Elias, Harry, and Joseph, are not living. George, Ledgard, Thomas, Jackson, and Elisha, reside in the town ; Abel, in Hanover. George married Philenda, Wright, and has ro children : Elizabeth, wife of Harry Nobles, re- siding in the town ; Charles, who married Elizabeth Allison ; Polly Ann, wife of Wilder Wright, Forestville ; De Ette, wife of John Hoyt, Buffalo : Letitia, wife of Edward McDole, Indiana ; Adelia, wife of Edward North, Kansas; Celia, wife of Willard Wheeler, Villenova; Newell, at home,
582
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
unmarried. Ledgard married Clarinda Fletcher, and lives in town ; his chil- dren are Alvin, Eugene, Orissa, Edwin, Lewis, Jane, Sarah, and Willie. Alvin married Josephine Russell, all live in town. Joseph married Priscilla Nott, both deceased ; had 5 children ; 4 living, in Forestville. Lafayette married Louisa Foster, now in Cherry Creek ; has two children living, Lillis and Nettie. Abel married Malvina Rhodes,. Hanover. His children were Lucius, George, Elisha, Orville, Emory, Charles, Daniel, Cora, Ella, and four deceased. Elias married Emily Newell, Sheridan, and had 8 children, of whom four are married, as follows : Harriet, to Perry Lamphear, Stockton ; Martha, to George Aldrich, Sheridan ; Clinton, to - Spink ; Ellen, to Nathan Aldrich, Sheridan ; the others are Alida, Seymour, Belle, and Fanny. Daniel married Roxa Hewitt, and resides in Michigan. Thomas married Amy Smith, whose children are Hermie and Carleton. A. Jackson married Huldah Wright, whose children were Nancy; Glen, who died at 12; Edmund, who died at 8; Alice ; Reuben ; and Nelson. Elisha married Ann Eliza Barker, whose children are Ernest and Morris.
AUSTIN PIERCE, a native of Vermont, removed with his father, in 1810, to Pitcher, Chenango Co., N. Y., where he studied medicine with Dr. David McWhorter ; attended lectures at Fairfield, N. Y., and was licensed as a physician by the Herkimer Co. Medical Society, in 1829. He located the same year, Feb. 28, in Villenova, where he remained until his death. A brother, younger than himself, read medicine with him ; attended lectures at Fairfield, was licensed by the Herkimer Co. Medical Society, and practiced with his brother Austin in Villenova one year. He located in Mina, in 1836, and died there in March, 1845. William, the oldest son of Dr. Austin Pierce, also read medicine with him ; graduated at the University Med. Col., New York, and located in his profession in, southern Illinois, and was a state sen- ator, and a surgeon in the late war.
ELISHA SEARLE, a native of Massachusetts, removed in 1832 from Madi- son Co., N. Y., to Villenova, on lot 22, where he died in 1852, aged 72. His sons were : Nelson, who died in Madison Co .; Wellington, who married Azuba Nichols, deceased ; he resides on lot 23 ; Nathan, who married Lucy Nichols, and resides in Cattaraugus Co .; Frederick, who married Lora Hil- liard, and resides in Perrysburgh ; Tyler H., who married Jane Ostrum, and resides on the homestead of his father. Daughters : Alvira, wife of Benj. Vincent ; and Emeline, wife of Chauncey R. Smith, deceased ; both daugh- ters reside in town.
WASHINGTON SHEPARD came from Arkwright, where he had settled with his father, Joel Shepard. In 1839, he removed to Hamlet. He was married to Abigail Hammond, from Mass. His children were Rollin L., a merchant at Hamlet ; Allen, at Mount Sterling, Ill., principal of a school; and Galu- sha H. He married for a second wife, Mrs. Lucy Parker, daughter of Daniel Whipple. They reside at Hamlet. Mr. Shepard was for many years a Free- will Baptist preacher in this and the surrounding towns.
SUMNER TRUE, from Maine, where he was born, November 17, 1802,
583
VILLENOVA.
removed with his father to Genesee county ; and thence, in 1828 or 1829, to Villenova. He was married, in 1831, to Martha Ann Smith, and died there in 1856. They had four children : Xoa ; Idella, who died at the age of 26 ; De Volney, who died at 15; Lydia Cornelia, who died in infancy.
NATHANIEL WARNER, a native of Connecticut, was born July 4, 1767, and was married July 4, 1790, to Lucinda Avery, who was born in Nov., 1771, in Stonington. They removed from Litchfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y., to Vil- lenova with their family, and settled on lot 35, near Hamlet, bought in 1820, where he resided until his death, in 1847. The children of Mr. Warner were : 1. Reuben, who died in Herkimer Co., at 21. 2. Judah, who married Sally Congdon, in Litchfield, and settled on lot 44, where he died Aug. 3, 1832. His children were Avery ; Diadama, wife of Hoel Cory, in Cherry Creek ; James, deceased; John; Nathaniel, in Minnesota. 3. Obadiah, [sk.]. 4. Dema, who married Daniel Steward, who is deceased, and had 6 children : Orpha, wife of Benj. White; Warner ; Sarah, wife of - Putnam, in Iowa; Avery ; Francis, died at 3 ; Adelia, wife of Frank Pool, in Iowa. Warren and Avery are in Cherry Creek. 5. Nathaniel, Jr., [sk.]. 6. Jeremiah, who was married, first, to Eliza Barmore, and had 2 children: Dean, now at Forestville, and Newell. He married, second, Mrs. Chloe Patterson, by whom he had three children : Eliza, wife of Horace Brunson, now at Forest- ville ; Rosina, wife of Smith Brunson ; and Francis, in Michigan. 7. Abigail, who married Azor Barnum, and died May 2, 1870. Her children were Mary, who married, first, Frank Dunning, and had 3 children; second, Burnell Blod- gett, by whom she had a daughter. 8. Lucinda, who married John Steward, Dec. 25, 1827, and removed to Michigan. A daughter, Jane, married Jud- son Tanner ; both deceased. 9. Reuben, who married Cevilla Ann Fish, Jan. 1, 1834, and had 4 children: Azor, in Jamestown ; Ruth, wife of Hiram P. Cornell ; Ellen, wife of Lorenzo L. Racy, at Ellicottville ; and Andrew J.
NATHANIEL WARNER, Jr., son of the above, was born April 28, 1801, and married, June 15, 1824, Lura Nun, who was born at Stonington, Conn., Jan. 23, 1801. He removed from Herkimer Co. to Villenova in 1822, and settled on lot 43, and died in this town, July 2, 1874. His children were : 1. Josiah, unmarried. 2. Augusta, wife of Judson Priest, by whom she had 9 chil- dren ; married, second, Frederick Phillips, and had by him 2 children ; was again married, and lives in Arkwright. 3. Reuben. 4. Rebecca, wife of Wm. Ecker, and lives in Mayville. 5. Judah. 6. Jennett, wife of Alva Ecker. 7. Enos, on the farm of his father. All reside in the town, except Augusta and Rebecca.
OBADIAH WARNER, son of Nathaniel, Sr., was born in Litchfield, N. Y., May 19, 1795, and was married Feb. 6, 1821, to Rebecca Nun, who was born April 13, 1799, at Stonington, Conn. He removed to this town in 1822, and still resides at Hamlet. He had 10 children : 1. Harriet, wife of Allen L. Brunson. 2. George, who resides in town. 3. Mariett, wife of Lemuel L. Hickey. 4. Charles O., who resides at Cassadaga. 5. Jerome, who was killed at 39, by the fall of a limb from a tree. 6. Lucinda, wife of
584
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Chester Dunning, in the oil region, Pa. 7. Samuel N. S. Lura A., wife, first, of James Howard; second, of Abraham Priest, in Cherry Creek. 9. Polly, who died at 3. 10. Polly A., wife of Jerome B. Walker, of Cherry Creek.
DANIEL WHIPPLE was born in Deerfield, Mass., and came from Litchfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y., and settled in the south-east part of the town, on lot 3, in 1810, which he had bought in Oct., 1809. He was the first settler in the town. He had 6 sons : Thomas, a physician, who removed to Illinois, and died there ; Daniel, who lives in Perrysburgh ; Alphonzo, in Wisconsin ; Lorenzo, a Methodist minister, who removed to Wisconsin; Elijah, in Can- ada ; Elisha, who removed to Toledo, O., where he died. The daughters were Eliza, who died at 32, unmarried ; Electa, the first born child in the town, and the wife of James Wright, deceased ; Lucy, the wife, first, of Ur- son Parker ; second, of Washington Shepard, a Free-will Baptist preacher. residing at Hamlet ; Mary, wife of John Titus, Perrysburgh.
CHURCHES.
The Methodist Episcopal Church at Hamlet originated in the formation of a class, December 25, 1823, by Elder Daniel Prosser. The class consisted of Polly Smith, Obadiah Warner and Rebecca, his wife ; Taylor Judd, Polly Judd, [since the wife of Edmund Wright ;] Lewis Barmore, Maria, his sister ; Diadema Warner, Lura Nun, Polly Baker, Hiram Kingsley, Mihon Foot and Lois, his wife, and Brinty Congdon, and perhaps others. A class had been previously formed at Wright's Corners, which was merged in the society at Hamlet. Among the early circuit preachers were John Kent, - Buel, Richard Wright, - Ayres. Their meetings were first held in dwellings and barns. Their present house of worship was built in 1836. Present minister, Rev. Mr. Clarke.
WESTFIELD.
WESTFIELD was formed from Portland and Ripley, March 29, 1829. Its surface is level or slightly rolling along the lake, and hilly in the center and south. The town has a very irregular form. Its west boundary is a range line extending south to the south line of township 3, a distance of about 10 miles. The south boundary runs east on this line the breadth of three lots -21/4 miles. Its eastern boundary runs thence north about the same dis- tance, where it strikes the Chautauqua creek, whence it follows. the stream running a little east of north until within about 2 miles of Westfield village ; thence nearly parallel with the lake shore to the south-west corner of Port- land ; thence north on the range line to the lake. The town contains about 30,000 acres, or nearly 47 square miles. The principal stream is the Chau- tauqua creek, above mentioned, which flows in a northerly direction through
585
WESTFIELD.
the village to the lake. The Little Chautauqua, which heads chiefly in the town of Chautauqua, runs westerly for a few miles within the south bounds of Portland and Westfield, and taking a north-westerly direction, flows into the Chautauqua about a mile south of the village. As in other lake towns, the lots are irregularly numbered. The portion comprised in tp. 4, and pur- chased by John McMahan, before its survey into lots, was probably surveyed in conformity to a plan of his own. The lots, except those on and near the lake shore, and along the irregular south-east boundary, are a mile square : and the numbering commences at the south-west corner of the township. A correct view of the form and survey of the town can only be had by refer- ence to a map. The village of Westfield, on Chautauqua creek, is nearly equi-distant from the eastern and western township lines.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.