History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 73

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 73


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


Purchases from John McMahan, of lands in the tract bought by him from the Holland Company.


1801. November, John Allen, lot 4.


1802. May, James McMahan, 13. W. and A. Murray, 25. July, Abm. Frederick, 7. W. and A. Fisher, 19. Martin and Nathaniel Dickey, 26. November, James Brannan, 3. David Kinkaid, 14.


1803. January, Arthur Bell, 3. June, Christopher Dall, 27, 30. John Henry, 12. Jeremiah George, 3, James Morehead, 30. July, James Montgomery, 6. September, Andrew Straub, 26 or 17. 1804. July, Jacob George, 6, 13. September, Laughlin McNeil, 6. John Lyon. 30.


1805. Jane. John Degeer, 18. November, Alexander Montgomery, 2. George Whitehill, 18.


1806. June, Hezekiah Barker, 12.


1807. Jannary, David Eason, 18. Low Miniger and John Dull, 18.


The following named persons bought of McMahan by deed :


1So6. February, Samuel Frederick, 7. Low Miniger, 26.


[809). September, Nathan S. Roberts, 17.


The number of acres in these several purchases, was 6, 185.


Original Purchases in Township 3, Range 14.


1817. April, Hormon Culver, 40. Benjamin Amsden, 40.


1821. October, Timothy Parker, 57, 58.


1822. April, Joel Loomis, 48. October, Henry A. Haight, 63.


1823. June, Norman Rexford, 46. Silas and Alexander Poor, 63. Eben- ezer P. Pour, 62. July, William Tickner, 50. Samuel Adams, 61. Jacob Orcutt, 57. September, Hazelton Winslow, 47.


1824. March. Lory Harrington, 53. Cyrus Bickford, 46. April, Ezra Bickford1, 50. June, Larkin Harrington, 38. August, Moses Lancaster, 55. October, David Stanton, 59. Udney H. Jacobs, 52. November, Cyrus Dun- bar, 55: 56.


1825. February, Henry Mulliner, 41. March, Asahel Root, 52. April. Udney S. Jacobs, 44. May, Stephen Hoxie, 37. June, Allen Parker, 57. August, Allen W. Ingraham, 37. September, Hubert McLeod, 59. Oct., Moses Por'er, 51. November, Russell Rogers, 52. Elijah Porter, 44. December, Joseph Lyon, 42.


1826. January, Wm. P. Adams, 60. April, John Parks, 49. William


586


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


Pickard, 49. May, Isaac Coon, 54. Walter Strong, 50. June, Isaac Porter, 55. July, David Y. Stanton, 51. Sept., Chas. Granger, 42. Zalmon Ames, 64. 1827. April, Frederick Fox, 64. May, Selah Lanfear, 40.


Original Purchases in Township 4, Range 14.


1810. April, James McMahan, 12. September, Robert Sweet, 25. Isaac Sweet, 25. John Allen, 4. Laughlin McNeil, 6. John Lyon, 30. James McClurg, 13. Frederic Rogers, 18. James Montgomery, 6. Arthur Bell, 3. John Moorhead, 30. Thomas Gray, 12. Jacob George, 6, 13. Nicholas George, 3. Sarah Perry, 13, 18. James McMahan, 15. George Whitehill, 18. David Eason, 18. William Lowry, 13. December, Hugh Whitehill, 19.


18II. February, David Eason, 18. May, John Eason, 25. Andrew Kelsey, 30. John Smith, 31. Thos. McClintock, 17. Dec., John Fay, 31. 1814. August, Jonathan Nichols, 2.


1815. May, Harmon Culver, 2. Joel Loomis, 4. Robert Cochran, 2d,


4. June, Luther Thayer. Oct., Rebecca McNeil, 6. Stephen Rumsey, 4. November, David Knight, 25. Absalom Peacock, 8.


1816. July, Ebenezer Harris, 29.


1817. March, Jonathan Cass, 32. Gilbert Dean, I. Calvin E. Ma- comber, 32. James McMahan, 6, 20. June, Moses Hurlbut, 20. Dec., Hugh Whitehill, 19.


1818. January, Dyer Carver, 20. Feb., Jesse Holley, 5. July, Charles Saxton, 5. October, Daniel S. Bouton, 33.


1819. February, John House, 29.


182I. October, Nathan G. Jones, 29.


I822. July, Dolphus Babcock, 37. Ebenezer Harris, 29. August, John Shipboy, 3. James McMahan, 6. Robert Cochran, 4.


1823. January, Lyman Harrington, 16. March, William T. Howell, 15. William Sexton, 15. May, John Winchell, 29. Matthew McClintock, 10. Charles C. Tupper, 16.


1824. July, John Chamberlain, 29. October, Thomas B. Campbell, 18.


1826. October, Isaac Sweet, 25. June, Henry Abell, 18.


The names of the first settlers in this town have been given in the sketch of the early settlement of the county, [pp. 70-75,] and in the list of original purchases, [p. 585.] Nearly all the following settled at a much later period, in the portion of tp. 3 lying west of Chautauqua creek.


David L. Cochran, a native of Pennsylvania, came from Cayuga Co. to Westfield, in 1816, with his father. In 1817, at the age of 21 years, he built a saw-mill about half a mile below the bridge. He had previously gone through a course of study for navigator. He was also a surveyor. He still resides near where he first settled. He had a son, David A., who died Jan., 1873 ; and a daughter, Ellen A., wife of Wm. Law, Jr.


David Knight, a native of New Hampshire, came from Herkimer Co. to Westfield, and, after two years, settled on lot 25, tp. 4, bought in 1815, about 2 miles easterly from the village, where he resided until his death, in 1868. He had 5 children, of whom two died in infancy. The others were David W., who died in Chautauqua, in 1862 ; Thomas M., who was a printer and joint publisher of the Western Farmer, a merchant, and is at present an


587


WESTFIELD.


insurance agent ; and Elbridge, a Congregational preacher, in Maple Grove, Maine. Thomas M. had 5 children, of whom three attained mature age : Emily, wife of Melancthon L. Chester, New Haven, Conn. ; Sextus H., who served in the late war, returned sick, and died at home ; and Ross, a partner of his father, in business.


Benajah Rexford, a native of Conn., removed about 1823, from Vermont to Ripley, lot 63, tp. 3, r. 14, in the west part of the town, where he resided until his death in 1862. He had by his first wife, Zeruiah Squier, 6 children : Norman, Stephen, Isabel, Heber, Elsie, and one deceased. By his second wife, Roxana Ayer, also, he had 6 : Wilder, Betsey, Olive, Louisa, Sophrona, and Thomas. Four, Heber, Norman, Stephen and Elsie, reside in Cook Co., Ill. Heber held for one term the office of county treasurer, and was in office at the time of the great fire in Chicago. Wilder resides in the neigh- borhood.


Allen Parker, from Broome county, settled on lot 57, tp. 3, r. 14, where he bought in 1825, though he may have settled on it earlier. He was a farmer, and, for many years, he was an extensive dealer in cattle. He had but one child, a daughter, the wife of Ethan Titus ; they reside on the home- stead. Timothy Parker purchased on lots 57 and 58, and settled perma- nently on 58, where he died a few years ago. He had 4 sons : John ; Charles, deceased ; Levi ; and Hiram ; and a daughter, Caroline. Levi and Caroline are both unmarried, and live on the farm of their father ; John and Hiram, in Sherman. Timothy also was a dealer in cattle, in which both brothers were successful.


Luther Harmon settled, first, in Pomfret, in 1817, on lot 53, on what was afterwards known as Harmon Hill, whence he removed, about 1835, to Westfield, on the hill, where his son Luther D. had previously settled. Both are deceased. Luther D. had 5 children : Luther, who married Sophrona Rexford, and has a son ; and resides in Pomfret ; Eliza, who resides with her mother ; Martin, who married Mariam Fellows, and lives on the homestead ; Drusilla, wife of Platt S. Osborne, at Oil City, Pa .; Caroline, wife of J. Martin Fay, now residing at Fulton, Ill.


Wm. Benson, a native of Steuben, settled on lot 40, tp. 3, and is deceased. He had four sons, of whom two reside in town. One of them, Silas, resides on the homestead. A daughter married a Mr. Cook, and is deceased. Mr. Benson served in the war of 1812.


Calvin Rice, from St. Lawrence Co., about 1832, to Chautauqua Co., and in 1837, to Westfield Hill, settled on lot 55, tp. 3, on which he resided until his death. Of his children, James, Marshall, and Martha are on the farm. Martin C. resides in the village. He is a lawyer. In April, 1855, he estab- lished the Westfield Republican, which was the first republican paper in the state, and perhaps' in the Union. It commenced about the time of the national convention at Pittsburgh, in that year, at which meeting measures were taken which resulted in the organization of the party.


In the south part of the town, [tp. 3, r. 14,] Walter Strong settled, about


588


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


1826, on lot 50, bought in 1824. His wife was a sister of Tichenor and Franklin Sheldon, who settled in the same neighborhood. Their daughters were Fanny, wife of Lorenzo Morris, lawyer, Fredonia ; Louisa, wife of Thomas Morris, who resides on the old farm of his father, in Chautauqua ; Helen, wife of Alfred Leet, Rochester, Minn. ; Julia, wife of Marcus L. Plato, of Westfield ; Laura, wife of Delavan Adams, of Sherman; Harriet. wife of Bloomfield Underhill, Ohio.


Tichenor Sheldon, from Pawlet, Vt., bought of his brother-in-law, Walter Strong, a part of lot 50, where he settled in 1826, and now resides in Sher- man village. Milton B., a son, owns the farm. Other sons are Herbert, in Ottawa, Kansas, where he has been clerk and recorder of the county, and is at present mayor of Ottawa ; Royal, merchant in Sinclairville; and Edwin, in Ottawa, Kansas. A daughter, Fanny, unmarried, died in 1871, while on a visit to Kansas.


Franklin Sheldon, brother of Tichenor, came about 1840, and settled on lot 42. He had 3 sons : Albert and Charles, in the village of Sherman and Seth, with his father on the farm. Addie, a daughter, wife of Marshall, of Clymer, died several years ago, at his father's house.


George W. Putnam came from Pawlet, Vt., to Chautauqua, and subse- quently settled on the west side of the creek, on lot 44. He still owns the farm. He has been commissioner of schools for the first assembly district ; and he has been, for several years past, and is now, postal agent on the Lake Shore railroad.


The first town-meeting in Westfield after its formation, was held on the 7th of April, 1829, at the Westfield House, then, and for many years afterward, kept by Asa Farnsworth. The names of the persons elected are the follow- ing :


Supervisor-Amos Atwater. Town Clerk-Daniel Rockwell. Assessors -Hiram Couch, Robert Cochran, 2d, Jonathan Cass. Collector-Lyman Redington. Overseers of Poor-Low Miniger, Wm. Bell. Com'rs of High- ways-James Montgomery, Wm. Sexton. Seth G. Root. Com'rs of Common Schools-Wm. Bell, Warren Couch, Robert Dickson. Inspectors of Schools -Abram Dixon, Austin Stone, Russell Mallory. Constables-Lyman Red- ington, Robert P. Stetson. Fence Viewers-Isaac Mallory, Low Miniger, Gervis Foot. Pound-master-James McClurg.


Supervisors from 1829 to 1875.


Amos Atwater, 1829, 1831 to '33. John McWhorter, 1830. Robert Cochran, 1834, '35. George Hall, 1836, '37, '51. Wm. Sexton, 1838. Elijah Waters, 1839 to '41. Thomas B. Campbell, 1842, '44. James Pratt, 1843. John G. Hinckley, 1845 to '47, '55. Alvin Plumb, 1848, '52. Austin Smith, 1849, '50. Joshua R. Babcock, 1853, '54. Wm. Vorce, 1856, '57. George W. Patterson, 1358 to '60, '67. Sextus H. Hungerford, 1861 to '66. Francis P. Brewer, 1868, '69, 1872 to '74, '75. Henry C. Kingsbury, 1870, 1871.


The first store in Westfield is said, by some, to have been kept on the west


589


WESTFIELD.


side of the creek, near Col. James McMahan's. Others think there was none earlier than James McClurg's, in the village, about 1810 or 1811. Among the earlier merchants was Jonathan Cass. Joshua R. Babcock com- menced trade there in or about 1819; and, it is believed, Alvin Williams, a year or two later.


The first tavern in the village is said to have been kept by Jonathan Cass, in a log house, on the corner where the Spencer block now stands. The first inn in the town was that of Edward McHenry, at the Cross Roads, which was opened in 1802 or 1803.


The first physician resident in Westfield is believed to have been Lawton Richmond ; the year of his settlement not remembered. The following are the names of some who succeeded him, though their names are perhaps not given in the order of their settlement : Fenn Deming, Marcius Simonds, Silas Spencer, [1817,] Carleton Jones, Daniel Lee, with Dr. Spencer, Frederick Bradley, Dr. Kimball, Daniel Henn, who died here; Wm. Severyn Stockton, about 1840, who died here; Oscar F. Jones, John Spencer, Dr. Kenyon, Thomas D. Strong, George A. Hall, John M. Brown. Present physicians --- John Spencer, T. D. Strong, John M. Brown, Charles P. Graves, and Geo. W. Seymour; the last two, homcopathists. Before there was a resident physician here, the inhabitants were served by Dr. Squire White, of Fredonia ; Drs. Jediah and Wm. Prendergast and John E. Marshall, of Mayville.


The first grist-mill within the present town of Westfield, which was also the first in the county, was built by John McMahan, in 1804 or 1805, near the mouth of Chautauqua creek. The building is said to have been made of hewed logs, and the stones were taken, it is said, from the bank of the creek, or from the ground in some part of the town. A saw-mill also was after- wards built near the grist-mill. During the war of 1812, apprehending its destruction by the enemy, he discontinued the running of the mill, and sold the stones to be used in a mill where the Westfield Mill now stands. The Westfield Mill, or rather its predecessor, of small dimensions, on nearly the same .ground, was built about the year 1811, by Nathan Cass ; and also a saw-mill. The property was sold to Eber Stone and Amos Atwater, the grist-mill not yet completed. Stone did not himself remove to this place ' until about 3 years afterward, Atwater having, during this time, charge of the mills. About the year 1831, they sold the property to James McClurg, Thomas B. Campbell, and George Hall, who erected the present mill build- ing. It passed from them to David Eason, who sold back a third of his interest to George Hall. On the decease of Eason, his interest passed to his son and daughter. The former sold his interest to James Harris ; and after the decease of Hall, his third came into the hands of a son. Since then, the property has been in possession of the present proprietors, James Harris, Eri Hall, and Mrs. McClurg, of Pittsburgh, daughter of David Eason.


Thomas B. Campbell built a grist-mill in 1818 and 1819, about half a mile above the present iron bridge, and the next year a saw-mill. He continued them in operation many years. The first flour shipped from this county to


590


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


New York by way of the Erie canal, is said to have been made at this mill. He sold his mills to John R. Walker, of Fredonia, who, several years after, sold them to George W. Norton, of Fredonia, by whom they were sold to John Boomer, and by him to Reuben Wright, Jr., who converted the grist- mill into a paper-mill, which is, by him, still kept in successful operation. Timothy Pope early owned a saw-mill on Little Chautauqua creek, where, afterwards, Couch and Stone had a carding and cloth-dressing establishment, which, about the year 1850, was changed to a grist-mill by Wm. H. Walker and Emmet and Allen Mallory, and is now owned by Charles Rinehard, and is known as the "Glen Mill." Amos Atwater, while yet interested in the Westfield grist-mill, it is said, built a saw-mill near where Rorig's brewery now stands, as early, probably, as 1820.


A carding-machine, probably the first in the town, was put into the West- field grist-mill, about the year 1816 or '18, and run for several years. A carding machine was early built by Hiram Couch near Pope's saw-mill on Little Chautauqua creek, just above its junction with the Chautauqua, and run by him for a short time, and then by him and Lester Stone in partner- ship. Their cloth-dressing establishment, which had been near the Westfield flouring-mill, was removed to their carding machine. About the year 1821 or '22, Reuben Wright built a carding and cloth-dressing establishment near Atwater's saw-mill and the site of Rorig's brewery on the west side of the creek. Elizur Talcott, as early as 1812 or '14, commenced dressing cloth at or near the site of the Westfield Mill.


The woolen factory of Hiram Couch and Lester Stone, about 34 of a mile south of the bridge, was built by them in 1848. A part of the building had been erected by Reuben Wright for a grist-mill, and left standing for many years, unfinished and unused. This factory has continued in successful oper- ation till the present time. Mr. Couch, the senior proprietor, died in 1873. It is now owned and occupied by Lester Stone and son.


An oil-mill was built about the year 1820 near Rorig's grist-mill, by Simeon J. Porter, who kept it in operation many years. The building is now used as a planing-mill, and for other purposes. An oil-mill was also built by Joseph Farnsworth, near the present lock factory, which was run for several years.


The first tannery in Westfield was established by James Parker, south of where York's foundry now is. It was not intended for a large business. It passed into the hands of William Brittan, and was continued but for a short period. Aaron Rumsey came to Westfield in 1825, and built a large tannery below the bridge, east side of the creek, which did an extensive business for many years. He also established a store in the village for the sale of leather and boots and shoes. In or about the year 1835, he sold his tan- nery to his brother Stephen, during whose proprietorship it was destroyed by fire, but was soon rebuilt, and was continued many years. Hiram Tiffany established a tannery in 1840 or '41, which he conducted until 1864. He then sold to Theodore Gardner and Andrew Wannenwiths, from whom it passed to the Townsend Manufacturing Company. Gardner & Wannenwiths


.


591


WESTFIELD.


are again proprietors of the tannery, but are not allowed to use it to the prejudice of that company.


A foundry and machine shop was started about the year 1853, by Cross- grove, Kimball & Wells, on the east side of the creek, near the bridge, on the site of a similar establishment previously destroyed by fire. They con- tinued business until 1858. In 1852, Buck & Patchin built a shop for the manufacture of agricultural implements. In 1854, the Chautauqua Company, a joint stock company, was formed. Its first trustees were Edwin Buck, Abel Patchin, John Eason, Lorenzo Parsons, and perhaps others; Mr. Patchin superintendent. They manufactured horse-rakes, plows, and cultivators, until 1855, when they began to make mowers and reapers, and continued their manufacture until 1860. Their capital having been materially impaired by the crisis of 1857, they discontinued business in 1861. In 1861, George P. York, having purchased the buildings and machinery of both manufacto- ries, united the buildings on the site of his present establishment, and com- menced the manufacture of the Buckeye mowing machine, which he has con- tinued to the present time, with increasing sales, together with a general foundry and machine shop jobbing business. The establishment gives en- ployment to about 20 or 25 men. The Chautauqua Company is thought to have been the first manufacturers of the combined mowing and reaping ma- chine in the state.


The Townsend Manufacturing Company was organized in 1864. The Com- pany was composed of John F. Townsend, Sextus H. Hungerford, A. L. Wells, Jared R. Babcock, Wm. Johnston, Wm. Smith, Allen Wright, Watson S. Hinkley, Lanson P. Stevens, Francis B. Brewer, John H. Minton, Edward l'. Whitney, William Vorce, Corydon Kart. In 1871, Francis B. Brewer became sole proprietor, and continued such until September, 1873. The present proprietors of the concern are Eugene M. Mix and James E. Mix. This establishment has for several years turned out an average value of pro- ducts to the amount of about $100,000. The quality of the work here made may be judged from the fact, that specimens were sent for exhibition to the great fair at Vienna, Austria, for which medals were awarded. For several years before this Company was formed, Mr. Townsend had in operation a manufactory of a different kind of wares on the same site.


The Shackleton Steam Heating Company was organized in September, 1874. George P. York, Pres .; E. A. Skinner, Treas .; Rollin D. Rockwell, Sec. They manufacture Shackleton's Patent Boilers and Radiators. They have put their heaters in the Presbyterian Church in Westfield, the Normal School building in Fredonia, and a number of dwellings. They are establishing agencies in various parts of the country ; and a large and increasing busi- ness is anticipated.


The Westfield Manufacturing Company was established in 1871, by Jared R. Babcock and Rollin D. Rockwell. The factory and machinery were rented in 1873 to J. H. Yerkes and Henry J. Minton, who are now carrying on the manufacture' of handles, tables, and wood work generally.


592


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


In 1825, and within a few years after, Westfield received a considerable accession to the number of its business men, from Warsaw, then Genesee county. They were Oliver Lee and John Mcwhorter, (Lee & MeWhorter,) merchants ; Aaron Rumsey, tanner and currier ; Daniel .Rockwell, hatter ; Augustin U. Baldwin, merchant; Larned Gale, keeper of the Westfield House ; and perhaps others. These gentlemen, at an early period of their residence here, came to be designated the "Warsaw Club," from some cause not generally known. A contemporary of these men says it came from the fact, that, in political action, they went in a body against anti-masonry, with their votes and their influence. After these, came James D. Carlisle, Calvin Rumsey, and Lorenzo F. Phelps; but it is believed they were not considered members of the club. Of the former, only Mr. Rockwell is living; of the latter, Mr. Carlisle and Mr. Phelps, who are still residents of the village, and in active business. It may be proper also to mention Mrs. Hough, the mother of. John McWhorter, and of Mrs. Calvin Rumsey, the mother of Mrs. Joseph H. Plumb. This venerable matron lady, who but a few years since died here, had the honor, in her day, from her eight daughters, of conferring upon six of the citizens of this place, the boon of worthy, amiable wives : Mrs. Calvin Rumsey, Mrs. Augustin U. Baldwin, Mrs. Daniel Rock- well, Mrs. Edwin Buck, Mrs. Wm. R. Morse, and Mrs. Zera Colburn. The last two mentioned, and Mrs. Rumsey, are yet living.


BARCELONA.


The site of this village, like the sites of Cattaraugus village, (now Irving,) and Mayville, was originally surveyed into village lots by the Holland Com- pany's surveyors. The lots were designated by numbers distinct from those of the township lots. It was for many years called Portland, after the name of the town, it being in the town of Portland. There being a harbor there for the entrance of vessels, it was known as Portland Harbor. After the formation of- the town of Westfield, it was called Barcelona. It was made, by the general government, a port of entry ; a lighthouse was erected ; and . for a number of years it was a place of considerable trade. A steamboat, the Wm. Peacock, was built by a company, composed chiefly of citizens of Westfield, in 1831, for the transportation of freight and passengers between Buffalo and Erie. A company, called the Barcelona Company, was formed by the following named persons : Smith & Macy, of Buffalo ; Charles M. Reed, of Erie ; Nathaniel A. Lowry, Elial T. Foote, and Samuel Barrett, of Jamestown ; Augustin U. Baldwin, Calvin Rumsey, and Thomas B. Camp- bell, of Westfield, and perhaps others. The village plot, laid out by the Holland Company, was greatly enlarged by the new company, in the expect- ation of building up a large commercial village. In this they would proba- bly have succeeded, but for the construction of railroads along the lake shore. A lighthouse was built there about the year 1828, by Judge Campbell, for the general government. No commercial business is now tran-acted there.


Natural gas was discovered 34 of a mile below Barcelona, and the light-


Etam & Blip.


593


WESTFIELD.


house was illuminated with it. The gas is now conveyed to the village of Westfield, which is supplied in part with it ; and the deficiency is made up by a manufactory in the village.


BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL.


AMOS ATWATER was born near New Haven, Conn., in 1787. He was a son of Joshua Atwater and Betsey, his wife, whose maiden name was Good- year. He removed with his father, in 1797, to Homer, N. Y .; and thence he removed, in 1813, to Westfield, [then Portland,] and settled on the west side of Chautauqua creek, a short distance above the present bridge. He was for several years, with his brother-in-law, Eber Stone, proprietor of a grist-mill on or near the site of the present " Westfield Mill." He also car- ried on the wool-carding and cloth-dressing business. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, on the Niagara frontier, and was in the battle of Queenston. He was the first supervisor of Ripley, after its formation, [1816,] and was appointed a justice of the peace in 1818. In 1836, he removed with his family to Beardstown, Illinois, and died there about the year 1850.


ARTHUR BELL was born in Paxton, Dauphin Co., Pa., Jan. 12, 1753, and was married to Eleanor Montgomery, and removed to the McMahan tract, 3 miles west of Chautauqua creek, now Westfield, in 1802. He was elected supervisor of Chautauqua, and served with the Niagara county board in 1808, before Chautauqua county was fully organized. He had served in the army of the Revolution three years. He was one of the founders of the Presby- terian Church at the Cross Roads, and was a member of it until his death. He was highly esteemed as a citizen. He died August 6, 1834.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.