History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 77

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 77


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


The Baptist Church had its origin in a " Branch," so called, of the Baptist Church of Portland. On the 16th of Sept., 1825, the members residing at and in the vicinity of the Cross Roads, organized a " Branch of the Church of Portland." It had the privilege of receiving and dismissing members, and of exercising discipline, except in cases of great moment. At this meeting, Joshua Tinker was chosen a deacon, and Joshua Tinker, Jr., clerk. Among the members who united at the organization, were Joshua, Joshua, Jr., and Henry F. Tinker, Harriet Tinker, Sally Sexton, and soon after, David and Persis Hall, and others. Charles La Hatt, minister of the church of Port-


617


WESTFIELD.


land, presided at the meeting, and was for many years minister of both the branch and the parent church. With a view to the organization of an inde- pendent church, members of the branch, April 17, 1831, asked for a dismis- sion from the parent church, and the request was granted. And on the 10th of May, 1831, a council of delegates from neighboring churches declared it expedient to receive the new church into fellowship. Those who joined in the request were Joshua Tinker and Joshua, Jr., Andrew Cole, Benj. Jordan, Gideon Peck, Abraham Burrows, Jonathan Brown, David Hall, Hazel Tup- per, Wm. A. and Calvin F. Webster, Sheldon Palmer, Midwell Leach, Elias Mallory, Br. Vredenburg, with the wives of some of them, and several other females-in all, about 30. The Branch held meetings for a time in the school-house in North Portage street ; afterwards hired a room in McClurg's block, till a meeting-house was built. The house was repaired and enlarged in 1867. Ministers who have supplied the church since La Hatt, were Elders Blakesley, Boyington, Pixley, Rathbun, Keyes, Mills, Mallory, Drake, Lyman Fisher, H. S. Westgate, and W. Dunbar, present pastor.


The organization of the First Baptist Society under the general statute of the state, was not effected till January, 1855. The first trustees elected were John Wilson, John R. Walker, and Austin Smith.


The Episcopal Church and Society of Westfield was incorporated in pur- suance of the general law of the legislature. The certificate of incorporation is dated Jan. 28, 1830. The title of the society is, " The Rector, Church Wardens, and Vestrymen of St. Peter's Church in the town of Westfield." At the first election of officers, Burban Brockway and Jonathan Cass were elected church wardens, and Thomas B. Campbell, David Eason, Daniel Rockwell, Harmon Patchin, Norman Kibbe, Joseph White, Jr., Carlton Jones, and John McWhorter, vestrymen. Rufus Murray, rector, presided at the meeting. In August, 1831, by a vote of the society, the building of a church edifice was authorized ; and Norman Kibbe, Augustin U. Baldwin, and Daniel Rockwell were chosen a building committee. At a meeting of the wardens and vestrymen, March 20, 1832, the building committee were instructed to proceed to the erection of a church. The house was conse- crated by Bishop Benjamin T. Onderdonk, Aug. 22, 1833. The first list of names of communicants on the record contains the following ; but that they all became such at the time of organization, does not appear : Burban Brockway, Augustin U. Baldwin, Daniel Rockwell, and their wives, Mrs. McNeal, Norman Kibbe, Ira R. Bird, Royal O. Thayer, Jonathan Cass ; the wives of David Eason, George Adams, Calvin Rumsey, and - Talmadge, and D. A. Richardson, Mrs. Mary West, Jane West, Mrs. Adeline Mann, Louisa Hough. Rev. Rufus Murray was rector at the time of the organiza- tion. His successors have been, Nathaniel Huse, 1836 ; Charles B. Stout, 1841; Charles Arey, 1847; Edmund Roberts, 1850; John B. Pradt, 1851 ; Charles Haskell, 1853 ; Albert Wood, 1855 ; Francis Granger, 1859 ; Sidney Wilbur, 1864; E. W. Hager, 1866; J. Wainwright Ray, 1868; J. W. Von Gantzhorne, Jan., 1872 ; J. S. Seibold, Nov., 1872 ; John A. Dooris, 1875.


618


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


The Methodist Episcopal Church of Westfield had its origin in a class form- ed in 1821. It was composed of Brainard Spencer and wife, Joseph Clark and wife, Reuben Peck and wife, and others whose names are not recollected. Of this class Reuben Peck was leader. Rev. Glezen Fillmore was presiding elder. Rev. Mr. Hatton was preacher in charge, and Rev. Benjamin P. Hill, assistant. The first meeting-house was built in 1830, on the west side of the creek, where it is occupied as a dwelling-house. The second was built in 1850 on Clinton street, near North Portage street, where it stands unoccupied. Their third house was built in 1871 and 1872, on Main street. In the plan of its construction and the comeliness of its appearance, it was probably not surpassed by any church edifice then in the county. It is built of brick, and cost about $30,000.


The First Universalist Church of Westfield was organized in 1833 at Haight's Corners, Rev. Linus Payne officiating. Among the constituent members were Larkin Harrington, John Nye, Ebenezer Patterson, Alvah Adams, Ebenezer Poor, Fayette Dickson, with their wives, Hannah Hough- ton, Lucretia Adams, Mrs. Betsey Bickford. Their church edifice was erected in 1842. The first pastor was Nathaniel Stacy.


A German Lutheran Church was formed in the village of Westfield about twelve years ago. It was reorganized in 1870, and called the " Evangelical Protestant Lutheran Church." Its meetings were for a time held in Mr. Ro- rig's dwelling house and in the school-house on Union street. After its reor- ganization, the society bought the school-house on Nettle Hill street, where is now their stated place of worship. They are preparing to build a good and commodious house of worship next year. The officers of the society are : John Swartz, the chief or presiding officer ; August Rorig, Christoph Nienkerchen, trustees; Andrew Wonnenwiths, secretary; Charles Lagerman, treasurer. The present minister is William Fromm.


Methodist Episcopal Church at Howard's Corners. A class was formed about 1837 or 1838, at a log school-house, near Isaac Porter's. The mem- bers were: Rand Miles, [class leader,] Robert Hill, Alanson Jones, and their wives, Rebecca Wheeler, Deborah Harmon. Nicholas Jones and wife, and Laban Jones, joined soon after. The place of meeting was afterwards fixed at Howard's Corners. The present meeting-house was built in 1852. The minister' present at the formation of the class, is believed to have been Darius Smith.


SUPPLEMENT


TO


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


CHAUTAUQUA ANTIQUITIES.


M. P. CHASE, about the year 1867, residing in the town of Chautauqua, on the line of Harmony, near Stedman, while scraping dirt from the road near his house, uncovered a large trench filled with human bones which were much decayed. Their condition and rapid disintegration after exposure to the air, and the fact that the ground had never been disturbed since the land had been cleared by Mr. Chase's father, 47 years before, prove that the re- mains had been there a long time. The trench appeared to be about 6 feet wide and 10 or 12 feet long, and the number of persons buried seemed to be about fifty. No weapons nor relics of any kind were seen ; but some char- coal or cinders were mixed with the bones. The trench was about two miles from Chautauqua lake, on a ridge of land, and appeared to have been orig- inally about 3 feet deep. The skeletons were examined by a surgeon ; but whether they were of white men or Indians was not determined. Although there were indications in favor of both hypotheses, the preponderance of cir- cumstantial evidence would seem to favor the opinion that they were the bones of white men. I. They were buried in trenches, a mode of burial not practiced by the aborigines, who bury in mounds. 2. The absence of weap- ons, pipes, and other articles which they bury with their dead, who expect to need them on their hunting grounds in the spirit world. The editor of the Journal, C. E. Bishop, who was present, having weighed the several circum- stantial evidences, says :


"From our knowledge of early Indian warfare, we may assume, I. That if they were murdered white men, the Indians did not bury them ; that was no part of their custom. 2. If they were Indians killed by whites, the whites did not bury them ; they were as indifferent to the sepulture of their savage enemies as the red men were to that of the whites. 3. They were either white men buried by whites, or red men buried by their brethren. Their manner of burial, as before remarked, precludes the latter hypothesis. The balance of the proof, then, goes to show that they were Europeans,mas- sacred by Indians, and subsequently buried by white men."


620


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


After mentioning two other circumstances, namely, the absence of hard, lasting bones, and the small compass in which so many bones were found, he says :


" Our theory is, that a party of Europeans, probably French, were waylaid by the Indians, murdered, stripped of everything, in the woods near Chau- tanqua lake, more than one hundred years ago ; that some months thereafter, another party of whites, passing through, found these remains mutilated and partially devoured by the beasts and birds, and, gathering up the larger bones that remained, buried them decently. This would account for so many large bones in so small a space.


" These circumstances and deductions confirm the accounts that we have often heard of the passage of the French from Canada through to the Mis- sissippi and Allegany, by the way of Chautauqua lake. True, history tells us nothing of this route, nor of any battles that took place in this section : but there is a good deal of unwritten history that was really enacted on this continent a century since.


" If from further and more intelligent investigation our theory should be overthrown, it would leave us to imagine some great Indian battle, the bones being of its slain. But if that were so, where are the hatchets and the arrow heads ?"


The late Samuel A. Brown, Esq., in a lecture before the students of the Academy and the citizens of Jamestown, on the History of Ellicott, in 1843, has the following :


" There are two Indian mounds in the town, filled with human bones ; one at Dexterville, the other on the farm owned by Jehial Tiffany. At the latter place are traces of a fortification. When these mounds were raised no trav- eler can tell. Many of them in the western country are very large. The forest trees on their summits-supposed by naturalists to be from 300 to 600 years old-are as large as the trees around. They must, therefore, be very ancient. Lafitau, an ancient missionary and traveler, describes what is called ' the feast of the dead, or the feast of souls.' He says :


"' The neighboring tribes are invited to be present, and to join in the solemnities. At this time, all who have died since the last solemn occasion, which is renewed every ten years among some tribes, are taken from their graves; and those who have been interred at a distance from the village, are diligently sought for, and brought to the great rendezvous of carcases. When they are all convened, the dead bodies, or the dust of those which were quite corrupted, are arranged in order in a place prepared for the purpose. Pres- ents from the friends of the deceased, as well as from strangers, are also deposited with the remains of the dead. After which the whole are covered with entire new furs, and over them with bark, on which they throw wood and earth. Without question,' says he, 'the opening of these tombs displays one of the most striking scenes that can be conceived-this humbling por- trait of human misery in death, which appears in a thousand various shapes of horror in the several carcases. Some appear dry and withered ; others have a sort of parchment on their bones. Some look as if they were baked and smoked, without any appearance of rottenness ; some are just turning to the point of putrefaction ; while others are all swarming with worms and drowned in corruption. In this ceremony the savages offer, as presents to the dead, whatever they value most highly. This custom, which is universal among them, arises from a rude notion of the immortality of the soul. When


621


SUPPLEMENT.


the soul is separated from the body of their friends, they conceive that it still continues to hover around it, and to require and take delight in the same things in which it formerly was pleased.'"


The following notice of a relic of antiquity was given in the Fredonia Censor of July 15, 1835 :


" We have in our possession an Indian tomahawk or hatchet of very rude construction, which was taken a few days since from the heart of a white oak saw log nearly 21/2 feet in diameter, with 182 grains from its place of deposit to the outside of the log. Its distance from the roots of the tree induce the belief that it had been lying in the crotch of a sapling, which, as it grew, inclosed it, probably not less than 200 years since it was left there, by one of a warlike tribe of Indians, who inhabited this section of country at least two centuries ago, as there are numerous indications in this town of fortifica- tions upon which trees of the same size as the above are now growing. The instrument was found while sawing the log at the mill of Solon Hall, at La Grange in this county. The saw penetrated the iron about half an inch be- fore the mill could be stopped, entirely ruining the saw."


INDIANS.


Or the eight remnants of Indian tribes residing in New York, five live upon reservations guaranteed to them as proprietors in common, in the ces- sions of aboriginal title; two occupy, in common, lands which they have acquired by purchase or otherwise ; and one hold their lands as the individ- ual property of families. The distribution of the tribes in Central and Western New York, and their location by towns and counties, are as follows :


Allegany Reservation-chiefly of Senecas, lying in the towns of South Valley, Cold Spring, Bucktooth, Great Valley and Carrollton, in Cattaraugus county. This reservation extends about 35 miles along both sides of Alle- gany river, is about a mile wide on an average, and contains about 42 square miles, or 26,680 acres. The New York & Erie railroad runs through the eastern portion of these lands to the Little Valley, from which point the Atlantic & Great Western railroad continues westward down the valley. Several tracts of land have been leased by the chiefs for depots, village lots, and other purposes. The business of rafting lumber upon the river, in which many engage, is thought to retard improvement, by exposing them to the corrupting examples of whites of low character. The religious society of Friends has taken much interest in these and other Indians of the state ; and they have a boarding school on a farm adjoining this reservation, at which the native children are received. Population in 1865, 825.


Cattaraugus Reservation lies along Cattaraugus creek, in the town of Per- rysburgh, Cattaraugus county; Collins, Erie county, and Hanover, Chautauqua county, and comprises 21,680 acres of fertile land, a considerable part under improvement. Many of the dwellings are commodious, and the premises


622


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


around indicate thrift, industry, and comfort. A council-house was built, a few years ago, by the Indian mechanics, at a cost to their nation of $2,500. On the reservation are a Baptist, a Congregational, and a Methodist Episco- pal church, with a total value of $6,610, capable of seating 1, 100 persons. Number usually attending, 440; communicants, 290 ; salaries of clergy, $800. These Indians have an orphan asylum for destitute children, conducted et- ficiently and with economy. They have also an agricultural society, sustain- ed upon the reservation, and composed of members from various tribes. The population in 1865, was 1,347. .


The Cayugas have no reservation left ; and those that have not removed west of the Mississippi river chiefly reside at Cattaraugus. In 1865, the number drawing annuities was 33 men, 31 women, and 70 children ; and the amount received was $1,093.50. The Cayugas living west, receive from the state annuities from the sale of their reservation, amounting to about $1, 125.


The Oneidas reside on farms owned by families, in Lenox, Madison coun- ty, and Vernon, Oneida county. A majority of these Indians belong to the Methodist denomination. The Oneidas who emigrated about 30 years since, chiefly reside in Brown county, Wisconsin, where nearly 800 of them now live. The Oneidas remaining numbered 155, in 1865.


Onondaga Reservation lies in the towns of Fayette and Onondaga, Onon- daga county. There are two small churches, supported by the Methodist Episcopal and Wesleyan Methodist denominations respectively, and a school supported by the state. The people are divided into Christian and Pagan parties ; the former preferring a division of the common lands, while the latter would have affairs continue in the way of their forefathers, under the direction of their chiefs. About two-thirds of their lands are leased to the whites. But little is raised by the Indians beyond that raised for their own use. But one mechanic-a shoemaker-is found among them ; and the only industrial products sold consist of baskets and beadwork, and these in very limited quantities. But few adults can read and write; but many of the children attend the state school, and are making fair progress in learning. The annuities of the Onondagas on the Onondaga reservation, amount to $1, 150, and those to other Onondagas residing on other reservations, vary from year to year. In 1865, they amounted to $887. The aggregate of each class in that year, was, on the Onondaga reservation, 150 men and 152 women ; on the other reservations, 39 men, 41 wonen, and 92 children. In 1865, the population on this reservation numbered 360.


Tonawanda Reservation originally embraced 71 square miles, or 45,440 acres, as surveyed in 1799. It lies in the present towns of Pembroke and Alabama, Genesee county; Newstead, Erie county, and Royalton, Niagara county. The lands are held in common, although the cultivated portions are regarded among themselves as private property. The timber lands are under the care of their chiefs ; and any member of the tribe may cut wood on any part for his own use, but not for sale. The occupations were reported as 74 farmers, 24 laborers, 3 gardeners, 3 axe-helve makers, and 2 carpenters. It


623


SUPPLEMENT.


was remarked that many of the women were better farmers than the men at planting corn and hoeing ; and many of them work for the whites at the same prices as the men. The marriage relation is very lax, and very few were legally married. A few were, however, legally married, settled down, and were doing well. The naming of children is mentioned as opposing a difficul- ty in taking a census. A woman, after bearing children to a husband, will name them after the grandfather and others, but not so much as formerly. There was reported on this reservation, one Baptist church worth $500, capa- ble of seating 200; usual attendance, 100; communicants, 40; salary of clergy, $200. In 1865, population, 509.


Tuscarora Reservation, in Lewiston, Niagara county. The lands of these people were in part purchased by the Tuscaroras, with moneys raised from the sale of lands anciently held by them in the state of North Carolina, whence they emigrated about 1712. The remainder was a gift from the Senecas and from the Holland Land Company. The entire tract contains 6,249 acres of land, which is mostly of an excellent quality. A Methodist and a Baptist church are maintained on this tract. They have a library and an association for mutual improvement. Population in 1865, 370.


Whether the reinnants of these and other Indian tribes can be saved in their native state, is a question of no slight importance. It is extensively believed, that, surrounded by civilized life, their primitive condition can not be permanently maintained, and that they are destined to the fate of miany of our aboriginal races. The general government has at present jurisdiction over all the Indian races in the United States. But while it is the adminis- trator of their civil affairs, should it not also aim at their elevation to the rights and privileges of American citizens ? It may be asked : Is this pos- sible? For thisa Christian civilization is indispensable. Where the mission- aries have introduced the Bible and the precepts of Christianity, the arts of husbandry and domestic life are constantly advancing. Schools have been established ; a knowledge of the English language is acquired ; and churches have been formed. These results are seen, on the border of our own county, in the improved condition of the inhabitants of the Cattaraugus reservation. Their moral improvement, which is regarded as indispensable to their being fitted for the duties and responsibilities of citizenship, depends essentially upon the enlightened and active benevolence of the public at large.


COLD SUMMER.


THE " cold summer of 1816," though not confined to Chautauqua county, is deemed worthy of record. The writer well remembers planting corn the 6th of June in a snow storm in the eastern part of the state, and can add his testimony to that of thousands still living, who have declared it to be the


624


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


coldest season they have ever known. The following account of it was pub- lished in a Rochester paper about fifteen years ago. He thinks, however, that the reality was hardly equal to the description .


" Persons are in the habit of speaking of the summer of 1816, as the coldest ever known in America or Europe. Possessing some facts relative to this subject, we give them to revive the recollections of such among us as remember the year without a summer ; and to furnish correct information for such as feel any interest in matters of this kind. We shall therefore give a summary of each of the months of the year 1816, extracted in part from ' Pierce on the Weather."


"January was mild-so much so as to render fires almost needless in sit- ting-rooms. December preceding was very cold.


" February was not very cold. With the exception of a few days, it was mild, like its predecessor.


" March was cold and boisterous, the first half of it; the remainder was mild.


"April began warm, and grew colder as the month advanced, and ended with snow and ice, with a temperature more like winter than spring.


" May was more remarkable for frowns than smiles. Buds and fruits were frozen ; ice formed half an inch in thickness, corn was killed ; and the fields were again and again replanted, until deemed too late.


"June was the coldest ever known in this latitude. Frost and ice and snow were common. Almost every green herb was killed ; fruit nearly all destroyed. Snow fell to the depth of ten inches in Vermont and in Maine ; three inches in the interior of New York. It fell also in Massachusetts.


"July was accompanied by frost and ice. On the morning after the 4th, ice formed of the thickness of a common window glass, throughout New England, New York, and some parts of Pennsylvania. Indian corn was nearly ail killed ; some favorably situated fields escaped. This was true of some of the hills of Massachusetts.


"August was more cheerless, if possible, than the summer months already passed. Ice was formed half an inch in thickness. Indian corn was so frozen, that the greater part of it was cut down and dried for fodder. Almost every green thing was destroyed in this country and Europe. Papers from England said, 'It will ever be remembered by the present generation, that the year 1816 was a year in which there was no summer.' Very little corn in the New England and Middle states ripened ; farmers supplied themselves from the corn produced in 1815 for seed in the spring of IS17. It sold for $4 to $5 a bushel.


"September furnished about two weeks of the mildest weather of the season. Soon after the middle, it became very cold and frosty; ice forming a quarter of an inch in thickness.


"October produced more than its usual share of cold weather ; frost and ice common.


" November was cold and blustering ; snow fell so as to make sleighing.


" December was mild and comfortable.


" Very little vegetation matured in the Eastern and Middle states. The sun's rays seemed to be destitute of heat throughout the summer ; all nature was clad in a sable hue ; and men exhibited no little anxiety concerning the future of this life."


-


625


SUPPLEMENT.


ARKWRIGHT.


William Wilcox, son of Aaron Wilcox, whose early settlement is elsewhere noticed, [p. 221,] came to this county with his father, in 1809. A brief notice of Mr. Wilcox, accompanied by a portrait, will be found on page 227. The family sketch which ought to have been there inserted, was inadvertent- ly omitted, and is here supplied. Mr. Wilcox had 10 children : Eliza C., Marcus B., Lucy B., Edson I. and Emily J., twins ; Walter R., Mahala C., Mila C., Marietta P., and William H. H., all of whom grew up to manhood and womanhood on the farm, except Mahala and Mila, who died at the ages of two and seven years. Esther S., wife of William Wilcox, died July 7, 185r. Mr. W., in 1863, disposed of his farm to his son Walter R., who, after two years, sold it and removed to Fredonia, his father residing with him until the time of his death, October 14, 1867.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.