History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 78
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 78
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
CARROLL.
In noticing the early settlement of Carroll, on page 242, no person is named as being known to have been the first settler in this town. From in- formation lately received, it may be positively stated, that John Frew was the pioneer settler of township 1, range ro, on the west side of the Connewango. In a letter received from Judge Foote is the following statement :
"John Frew and Thomas Russell, (second son of John,) had examined land on the east side of the Connewango, at the mouth of what is now Frew's run, and were pleased with the land, splendid pine timber, and beautiful spring brook abounding with speckled trout. They made up their minds to purchase the land for farms and for the erection of mills. Robert Russell, the eldest son of John, was pleased with the land on Kiantone creek, on the west side of the Connewango, now the west part of A. T. Prendergast's farm.
" In the spring of 1809, there being not a settler on the east side of the Connewango, in tp. 1, r. ro, John Frew and Robert Russell, each with a pack on his back, and a blanket and dried venison, started on foot for Batavia to buy the land they desired. They followed an Indian trail up the Conne- wango, by Kennedy's mill, over the highlands to Cattaraugus falls ; thence, still by Indian trail, to the oak openings east of Buffalo, and thence to Bata- via, camping out nights. Tired and hungry, they pulled up leeks, young and tender, and ate them with their jerked meat and dry bread. Those who know the peculiarities of Mr. Ellicott, will not wonder at the dialogue be- tween the parties in the land office. In making known their object, Mr .. Ellicott smelled their leeky breath, and said : 'You stinking cattle, go out and vomit up your filth.' Being told that Russell was a millwright, he said : ' You don't look as if you could make a hog-trough.' He soon got over his ill-humor, and gave respectful attention to his customers. John Frew bought for himself and Thomas Russell, lot 61 and the west half of 53, at $2.25 per acre. Robert Russell bought a part of lot 57, on Kiantone creek, now in the town of Kiantone, and soon built a house on the south shore of the creek, at the foot of the hill, nearly opposite the present brick house of Alex. T. Prendergast. He afterwards built a saw-mill, which he finally sold to Judge Prendergast."
40
626
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
John Frew and Thomas Russell, it is said, soon commenced chopping and clearing, and built a log cabin, and, in the spring following, put in crops. They were both unmarried, and had their bread baked, and their cooking, in part, done at their old home in Pennsylvania. In the spring of 1811, they had their first saw-mill in operation, and ran boards that year to Pittsburgh.
First Methodist Episcopal Church at Frewsburgh .- The date of the organ- ization of this church can not be given. The society, properly so called, re- quired by the statute of the state, was organized Jan. 21, 1843, Rev. Moses Hill, preacher in charge, presiding, and Alexander Ross, George Bartlit, and A. J. Fuller were chosen trustees. A class, which may be properly consider- ed as the nucleus of a church, probably existed several years before the formation of the society, as such. The church was at first attached to the Jamestown circuit ; Revs. Moses Hill and Daniel Pritchard, preachers in charge. They were followed by Prof. G. W. Clark, from Meadville college, Revs. A. M. Reed and H. W. Beers. The church at the time of its organization is said to have consisted of Edmund White, Alexander Ross, A. J. Fuller, and their wives, George Bartlit, Mrs. Sybil French, and Mrs. Elsie Fenton, mother of Senator Fenton, who retained her membership till her death,,about a year ago; and a few weeks after the organization, Mrs. Caro- line P. Eaton joined, the only member living of those who then composed the church. George Bartlit was chosen class-leader, and held that position many years, until he removed to Michigan. In 1844, a church edifice was erected on a lot presented by the late James Hall, an early settler. In 1868, a ves- tibule and a steeple were added, and the inside finished in modern style. Late preachers were Rev. F. A. Archibald, Dr. Reno, and the present preacher, Rev. J. F. Stocker.
[The historical sketch of the Congregational Church at Frewsburgh, long promised, has not been received.]
CHAUTAUQUA.
LOWRY FAMILIES .- As these families were among the early and prominent settlers in Erie county, Pa., and as several of them removed to this county, where some of their descendants still remain, a sketch of them is here given.
George Lowry, of Scotch descent, was born in the north of Ireland, coun- ty of Down, where he died, April -4, 1770. He had to sons, all living at the time of his death, the youngest about 18 months old ; his first born, a daughter, having died in childhood. The names of the sons were Samuel, Hugh, John, Robert, James, Andrew, William, George, Alexander, and Mor- row. Samuel and Hugh came to America, exploring for the family, in 1774. Hugh returned to report ; Samuel remained, and settled in Columbia Co., Pa., where he died in 1826. The mother, Margaret Lowry, and her sons determined to emigrate to the land of freedom, and settle together. They had perpetual leases of land, for which they paid an annual rent of $1.50 per acre. They left James and William to sell their leases ; and the mother and
627
SUPPLEMENT.
seven sons embarked at Belfast, for the state of Delaware, May 1, 1776,and landed at Wilmington, July 5, 1776. William came in 1787, and James in 1788. The mother and her ten sons settled near each other, in Northum- berland Co., Pa. Some of the brothers removed to other places in the vicinity, and were married. Hugh, after his return from Ireland, settled in Union county; had a large family, and died there in r828.
In 1794, the mother and her sons purposed to remove to some new coun- try, where they could form a colony and live on contiguous lands. Having seen advertisements offering to settlers cheap lands, on the shore of Lake Erie, they formed a compact, and appointed James and George to go and explore and report. In the spring of 1795, they went through the wilderness to Lake Erie, and down to Sixteen Mile creek, and concluded to locate , there. The land had been offered by the state to settlers, in tracts of 400 acres. They made a measuring cord of bark, and measured off a number of 400 acre tracts, and, in each tract, built a shanty; and they procured, in be- half of the Lowry's colony, from Gen. Rees, agent of the state, certificates of thirteen tracts, at and about Sixteen Mile creek. James and George return- ed in the fall and made their report ; and all were pleased. They numbered these tracts, and drew lots for them. In March, 1796, the colony, consisting of eight brothers, John, Robert, James, Andrew, William, George, Alexander, and Morrow, and four other men, left Northumberland for what they con- sidered the "land of promise." The history of their journey is a very in- teresting one ; and only the want of room forbids its insertion. The fore- going facts are taken from a letter written many years ago by Morrow Lowry to Judge Foote.
The Lowrys were of the number who suffered from the insecurity of land titles in Western Pennsylvania. Although the people on this side of the state line were not affected by these troubles, they sympathized deeply with their pioneer neighbors on the other side of the line. And as it is presumed few of our present citizens are familiar with this portion of early history in our vicinity, a few of the leading facts will be here presented. About the time the letter of Morrow Lowry was written, his nephew, James B. Lowry, wrote to Judge Foote, the following :
"In the year 1792, the state of Pennsylvania passed an act to encourage the settlement of her wild lands, north and west of the Allegany river, offer- ing 400 acres to every actual settler who should settle on, and reside on and improve the same for five years, and pay 20 cents per acre. In consequence of this inducement, the Lowry family, with a number of others, emigrated to the then wilderness. They found no settlement in Western Pennsylvania ; there was a fort at Erie, but there were no mills, roads, or anything that per- tained to civilization on the south, nearer than Pittsburgh ; in Canada there were settlers at Fort Erie ; in New York were some as far west as Utica.
" About the time the Lowrys settled in Erie county, Pa., they were met by emigrants from the East employed by the Population Company to settle the triangle. Between them and the settlers from the interior of Pennsylvania, there was a continual warfare or strife ; and mob-law prevailed to a consider- able extent for some years. In the meantime, the Population Company
628
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
commenced suits against the settlers, who had to attend courts at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, until they were worn out, impoverished, and disheartened. They were driven from the homes they had acquired by unheard of priva- tions and suffering, and which had cost them the best part of their lives, Poor, discouraged, broken down in body and mind, they had to seek an asylum under other laws, or where the laws were administered with more justice."
It appears that the Lowrys bought their lands of the state of Pennsylvania. But the writer last mentioned says settlers were sued by the Population Com- pany. Of the relation between this company and the state, we are not in- formed. It is presumed the company had purchased large quantities of land from the state, and sold it to settlers. Robert Falconer, an early citizen of Sugar Grove, Pa., and father of Patrick and William T. Falconer of this county, in a public address delivered some forty or more years ago, the man- . uscript of which is now in the hands of the writer of this history, says:
"No sooner was the act passed than individuals and companies applied for large bodies of land, paid the purchase money, and obtained warrants authorizing surveys ; and then all they had to do was to put on a settler, and get him to clear the necessary number of acres, and live upon the land five years, to entitle them to a patent. For this service they, in most cases, offered the settler a clear deed of roo acres, to include his house and clearing his choice out of the tract ; in some instances more. The Holland Land Company went into this scheme most largely. They built a store house at Warren, and supplied some of their settlers with provisions, implements of husbandry, and other goods, upon credit. The whole system operated to disadvantage. With every exertion, but few settlers could be got. The warrant-holders were bound to put a settler on every tract in two years. This was impossible. Others then claimed the right of taking the land where no settler was put on by the warrant-holder, on the plea of his right being for- feited.
" Many persons went upon the lands in opposition to the warrantees, and many who had contracted to settle under them determined to hold the whole tract against them. The legislature appeared inclined to favor the settler against the warrant-holder. Fortunately for the latter, the law of 1792, con- tained a provision by which the forfeiture of the land was prevented. It required the settlement to be effected within two years, unless prevented by the enemies of the United States. A man was murdered by Indians on French creek. The war of 1794 broke out ; St. Clair was defeated by the Indians ; alarm extended over the country; and the United States courts decided that this was a prevention which did away entirely with the obligation of settle- ment. This contention had an injurious effect on emigration to Western Pennsylvania. Actual settlers, when they found that they could not hold the lands against the warrantee, moved off, exclaiming that there was no good title for land to be had in Pennsylvania. And thus, thirty years ago, our county presented the appearance of abandonment, many farms upon which extensive improvements had been made, being deserted by their former oc- cupants. Some, however, remained. Numbers had taken up lands where no other warrants interfered ; improvements were carried on ; and population began to increase. Robert Miles, in Sugar Grove ; John and Hugh Marsh and John Russell, in Pine Grove ; Gen. C. Irvine, the Andrewses, father and sons, on Brokenstraw; Daniel Jackson, at Warren, and many others, were
629
SUPPLEMENT.
conspicuous among the first inhabitants of our county: and their descend- ants are numerous among us."
The Indian murder alluded to by Mr. Falconer in a preceding page, is probably that which was described in one of a series of numbers on the " Early History of Erie County, Pennsylvania," published in the Erie Gazette, in the winter of 1870-71. The writer says :
" The Indians continued their hostility until Wayne's victory in 1794. This made the attempt at settlement by white people very dangerous : hence it was of the utmost importance for the Population Company to establish the guilt of the Indians in committing these murders. Adverse claimants located on some spots, on the plea that the land was forfeited on non-compliance with the law of settlement. These parties set up the plea that the Rutledges were killed by white men as the instruments of the Company. This view found many adherents ; and, even to this day, this theory is not entirely eradicated from the minds of some."
The remains of the father were discovered near the place now known as the Union Depot ; and near by the boy was lying in a dying condition, having not only been shot, but scalped. As a direct result of the fatal shooting of the Rutledges, the Population Company was never obliged to make their settlements, and the law became a nullity. The few settlers there were chiefly from other counties in that state. And some of them, unwilling to hazard the trouble and expense of litigation, or the bestowal of labor upon farms which they held by so precarious a tenure, left their lands, " crossed the line," and selected homes in Chautauqua county.
Of the Lowry brothers, only two are believed to have removed to this county. George came to Mayville in 1808. He raised a number of daugh- ters and one son, James B., who was clerk of the county. George removed to Illinois, where James resided, and died there. Morrow Lowry, father of Morrow B. Lowry, of Erie, Pa., came to Mayville in 1811, and removed to Pennsylvania in 1813 or 1814. Hugh W. Lowry, a son of another of the ten brothers, born in Pennsylvania, removed to Westfield, where he was several years in the mercantile business, and returned to Pennsylvania, where he died. Nathaniel A. Lowry, son of Alexander, one of the ten brothers, settled in Jamestown. [See history of Jamestown.] The mother of George and Morrow Lowry died at Mayville in 1812.
Richard O. Green was born in Springfield, Otsego Co., March 6, 1799. In 1833, he removed to Chautauqua, and resided at Mayville until he died, March, 1865. He was by occupation a farmer. He was a commissioner of loans for this county, associated with Daniel W. Douglass, of Fredonia. He was a deputy in the county clerk's office, and was subsequently elected clerk.
George A. Green, brother of Richard O. and William Green, was born in Springfield, Otsego Co., October 18, 1802, and removed thence, in 1828, to Mayville, and resided there until his death, in September, 1873. He studied law with Thomas A. Osborne, Esq., at Mayville, and was admitted to prac- tice in the courts of the state, which he did when his health permitted. He held, for one term, the office of surrogate of Chautauqua county.
630
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Artemas Hearick, a native of Massachusetts, came from Chenango county to Mayville, in 1809, where he resided about 25 years. He was early ap- pointed an associate judge of the county court. He was married to Eleanor Peck, and after her death, to Polly Olney, of Genesee Co. He had, by his first wife, 9 children, 5 sons and 4 daughters. Of the sons, only two are living : Bela, who resides in Indiana ; and Thomas E., who married Sarah Ann Boynton, and resides in Westfield, and has had no children. Ruby, a daughter of Judge Hearick, the only one living, is the wife of Zalmon Tracy, who died at Harbor Creek, Pa., where his widow resides.
William Smith, born at Barre, Mass., emigrated, in 1808, to Oneida Co., N. Y., where he remained a few years, and removed to Chautauqua county, and opened a law office in Mayville. He was appointed surrogate of the county by Gov. De Witt Clinton, which office he held in 1821, and to which he was elected, under the constitution of 1821, and in which he was con- tinued, by reƫlections, till the close of 1840-19 years. He is said to have possessed a reputation for moral worth and a firm adherence to principle. He was one of the original proprietors of the Mayville Sentinel. He died in May, 1860.
DUNKIRK.
A notice of the Locomotive Works at Dunkirk not having been received in season, a sketch, hastily prepared without sufficient knowledge of the con- cern, was inserted in its proper place, in the historical sketch of Dunkirk, [p. 306.] The following, subsequently prepared by one connected with the establishment, is given here entire :
The Brooks Locomotive Works Company was organized under the general manufacturing laws of the state of New York, on the 13th day of November, 1869, for the purpose of constructing locomotives, railroad cars, tools, ma- chinery, etc. The capital stock was $350,000. The management of the affairs of the corporation was vested in five trustees. The trustees for the first year were H. G. Brooks, of Dunkirk ; M. L. Hinman, of Brooklyn; M. R. Simons, John H. Bacon, Jr., and Wm. O. Chapin, of the city of New York. They chose for their executive officers, H. G. Brooks, president and superintendent ; M. L. Hinman, secretary and treasurer ; and these officers have been reƫlected each succeeding year. The buildings and grounds oc- cupied by this corporation, belong to the Erie Railroad Company, from whom they were leased, by Mr. H. G. Brooks, for ten years from October 29, 1869. This lease, with all its rights, privileges, and franchises, was purchased from Mr. Brooks by this corporation.
During the first year of their operations, 37 locomotives, 100 freight cars, and considerable minor work, were turned out. During the second twelve months, 43 new locomotives were completed, besides other work. Steadily the business continued to increase, until it was found necessary to increase the facilities for producing new work. At a meeting of the stock- holders, it was voted to increase the capital stock to $500,000, and from the
631
SUPPLEMENT.
proceeds of the sale of such stock, to procure additional machinery, tools, and buildings, to meet the growing demand for locomotives. In 1873, less than four years after commencement, locomotives constructed here were being completed at the rate of eight per month.
Manufacturing business of all descriptions was in a flourishing condition up to the commencement of the financial panic, in the autumn of 1873, when manufacturing companies closely identified with railways, were badly affected ; and a hasty curtailment of expenses and of the quantity of articles manufac- tured, was necessary to arrest the great financial tornado, or to lessen its effect. Although the corporation suffered heavy pecuniary losses, in addi- tion to the shrinkage in value of material, its officers were not discouraged. At the present time, November, 1875, they are employing one-half of their entire force ; that is, giving daily employment to 275 men, while many other locomotive works, throughout the United States, are closed for want of work. Others are doing a small amount of business.
David Wright & Co. are extensively engaged in the lumber trade and the manufacture of building material. Mr. Wright having secured ample grounds for a yard, he commenced business, and in October, 1867, landed, as is be- lieved, the first cargo of lumber brought into Dunkirk from Michigan. In 1868, he built a planing-mill. In 1870, a Mr. Ryerson came in as a partner, taking a third interest. A few days after, they took as a partner a Mr. Van- devoort, in the manufacture of doors, sash and blinds. After about one year, Mr. Wright bought out Ryerson, and a year later, Vandevoort; and soon after took, as a partner, George N. Hauptman, a nephew, who resides at East Saginaw, and who had been for several years employed to superintend the cutting of logs, and the sawing and shipping of lumber, and still con- tinues that business. Mr. Wright resides in Orange Co., N. Y., and attends to the marketing of lumber and manufactures sent in that direction. Some are sent to Pittsburgh, and to the Oil Country, and some are sold in Chau- tanqua and other western counties. About 60 hands are employed in this establishment, and its sales have been from $100,000 to $150,000 a year.
Vandevoort & Smith, in 1871, erected a planing-mill, and established the manufacture of doors, sash, and blinds, and the purchase and sale of lumber. In 1874, a new firm was formed by O. Smith and Gates & Fay, of Bay City, Mich., firm name, O. Smith & Co. They operate a planing-mill, and manu- facture a variety of materials for buildings. Their manufactures are sold by wholesale and retail ; and their sales extend to the New York and Pittsburgh markets. They employ about 15 men ; and their sales amount to about $40,000 to $50,000 annually.
St. John's Church [Episcopal] of Dunkirk, was organized in 1850, under Rev. Charles Arey. The names of the officers at the time of its organization are not furnished, except that of Mr. Hanson A. Risley, one of the wardens. , Present wardens are R. T. Coleman and C. D. Murray. The first rector was Mr. Arey. His successors have been Wm. B. Edson, H. C. Eayre Coztelle, P. P. Kidder, and C. B. Champlin, the present rector, who took charge in
632
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
July, 1873. The first church edifice was consecrated by Rt. Rev. Samuel H. Coskry, of Michigan, Jan. 22, 1859, date of construction not given. The present building has been used for about eight years, though not yet com- pleted. It is of brick, and valued at $14,000.
St. Mary's Church [Roman Catholic] was organized by Rev. Peter Colgan, the first minister, 1851, in which year their first house of worship was erected.
St. John's German United Evangelical Church at Dunkirk was organized in 1856, and in 1858 erected a house of worship.
The German Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. C. Blinn, the first pastor, in 1857. Their church edifice was built in 1859.
There is also the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Dunkirk, no statis- tics from which have been received.
Zion's Church [Evangelical Association] at Dunkirk, was organized with 15 members, by Rev. J. J. Bernhardt, the first pastor, in 1865, and built a church edifice the same year.
ELLICOTT-JAMESTOWN.
To the biographical sketch of ex-Gov. Reuben E. Fenton, on p. 358, the following should have been appended :
Mr. Fenton was married, in 1838, to Jane, daughter of John Frew, who was born in 1820, and died in 1840. In 1844, he married Elizabeth, daugh- ter of Joel Scudder, born in Victor, Ontario Co., in 1824. They have three children : 1. Josephine, born in Carroll, April 15, 1845, and lives with her parents. 2. Jeannette, born in Carroll, Nov. 2, 184-, and married, in June, 1870, to J. N. Hegeman, of New York city, where they now reside. They have had three children, a son and daughter living, and an infant daughter deceased. 3. Reuben Earle, born in Jamestown, June 12, 1865, and lives with his parents.
Corydon Hitchcock, son of Oliver Hitchcock, was born in the town ot Chautauqua, three miles south from Mayville, west side of the lake, Sept. 16, 1823. In 1845, he removed to Ripley, and, in 1859, returned to Chautauqua. In 1864, he removed to a farm in Ellicott, where he resided nine years, and, in 1873, removed to Jamestown, where he is a partner in the firm of Hitch- cock & Wilson, wholesale dealers in lumber, and manufacturers of doors, sash, and blinds, and other building materials. While engaged in farming, he was for four years president of the Chautauqua County Agricultural Society. In 1874, he was elected sheriff of the county, which office he now holds. Mr. Hitchcock was married in July, 1843, to Ariette, daughter of Wm. T. Howell, of Chautauqua, who died, March 7, 1844. September 22, 1846, he was married to Mariette, daughter of Daniel Trowbridge, then of Ripley, who was born December 19, 1825. They have two sons, James Frank and Henry C.
Nathaniel A. Lowry came to Jamestown in 1833. His father was Alexan- der Lowry, one of the ten brothers who emigrated from Ireland, most of
0
633
SUPPLEMENT.
whom were early settlers in Erie Co., Pa. [See Lowry Families, page 626.] Nathaniel A. was for many years a merchant and a prominent citizen and business man in Jamestown, and acquired a large property. In November, 1844, he was stabbed by an assailant with intent to kill, the wound being for some time considered mortal. The perpetrator of the deed was convicted, and made to suffer the penalty of the law .. Mr. Lowry was born Oct. 22, 1805, and died Feb. 23, 1852. His sons, William H., Augustus N., and Al- exander M., reside in Jamestown.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.