History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 79

Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948


USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 79


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82


HANOVER.


Joseph G. Hopkins was born at Hartford, Conn., in 1808. His father, Daniel Hopkins, was a druggist, and died at Hartford, in 1815, leaving nine children. The oldest, William F., graduated at the military academy at West Point, and was for many years professor of chemistry there, and after- wards at the naval academy at Annapolis, Md., and died while United States consul at Kingston, Jamaica. James E., another brother, a jeweler, died at Cleveland, O. George was a merchant in Villenova, and a justice of the peace. A sister, Mary A., married Herman Patchin, formerly of Westfield, now of Rock River, O. Another sister, Julia A., was the wife of Col. Albert H. Camp, of Forestville, where she still resides. Joseph G. came with his mother to Westfield, in 1822. He was a clerk for Benj. Budlong, merchant, in Jamestown, from 1828 to 1832. In 1833, he commenced trade for him- self, in Villenova, in partnership with Albert H. Camp and Wm. Colvill, of Forestville, they furnishing the capital, and he conducting the business, under the firm name of J. G. Hopkins & Co., until about 1847, when the partner- ship was dissolved, the business having been successful. Mr. Hopkins soon after formed a partnership with Wm. Colvill, at Forestville, in the dry goods business, (Colvill & Hopkins,) and continued in business several years. He then formed a partnership with two of his clerks, Norman B. Brown and Levi J. Pierce, to whom, in 1864, he sold his interest, and retired from active business with a handsome competency. Mr. Hopkins was married, April I, 1833, to Abigail W. Swift, of Jamestown, who died at Forestville about 1870. He afterwards married Mrs. Permelia Phelps, widow of the late James H. Phelps, of Forestville. He has a son living, Albert C., who is engaged ex- tensively in lumbering, at Lockhaven, Pa .; and one daughter, Frances A., wife of Levi J. Pierce, hardware merchant, of Forestville. Their daughter, Ophelia, deceased, was the wife of Charles J. Swift, merchant, of Corry, Pa. Samuel J. Smith, a native of Saratoga Co., settled in Hanover, in June, 1811, about 2 miles north-east from Forestville, where he now resides. He was a volunteer in the war of 1812, and was a lieutenant under Capt. Martin B. Tubbs, of this town. He was the first town clerk of Hanover, and held the office many years, and was a highway commissioner about twenty-five years. His first presidential vote was given for James Monroe and Daniel D. Tomp- kins, for president and vice-president. He was married to Esther Miller, of


634


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


Saratoga Co., and has three children living, one of whom is Newton Smith, banker, at Forestville.


Richard Smith, from Smith's Mills, on Eighteen Mile creek, in Erie Co., N. Y., came with his family to Hanover, about the year 1825, and for many years held the office of justice of the peace at Forestville, and taught the village school several terms. Before his removal from Erie Co., and while that was a part of Niagara, he was an associate judge of Niagara Co. He was married in January, 1807, to Elizabeth Mack, daughter of John Mack, the early hotel-keeper at Cattaraugus Creek, [Irving.] His is said to have been the first marriage in Hanover. He removed from this county to the West, and died there. His oldest daughter married Dr. Marcins Simonds ; his second daughter married Elijah Dewey, both prominent citizens of Forestville. Mr. Smith was a man of good character, and a Presbyterian by profession.


The Chautauqua Farmer was started-a small sheet -- in Dunkirk, by John M. Lake, printed at the office of the Advertiser & Union, the Ist of Jan., 1869. In September of that year, Mr. Lake bought scant material, and re- moved the paper to Forestville. About the Ist of February, 1870, the office was purchased by A. G. Parker, fresh from the editorial chair of the Coopers- town (N. Y.) Republican and Democrat. Shortly after his purchase, he sold a partnership to Harvey I. Russell, from the above office, a practical printer, the firm name becoming Parker & Russell ; A. G. Parker, editor. Its circu - lation, at that time, was 950. In February, 1871, Parker bought out Russell, and immediately sold a half interest to Francis Hendricks, an employé of the Dunkirk Journal office, the firm name becoming Parker & Hendricks, by whom the paper has since been managed. It has steadily increased in importance and circulation, until it numbers upwards of 3,400 subscribers, and has a commanding influence in the agricultural and local affairs of the 33d district of Western New York. Its staff includes Wright L. Patterson, office assistant ; John A. Mixer, floral department ; James M. Beebe, apiary; Dr. J. W. Pond, poultry; and many correspondents.


HARMONY.


Morris Norton, a native of Otsego Co., after short residences at Niagara Falls and Buffalo, settled at Ashville, in July, 1833, where he still resides. He has been most of the time a farmer. He has also held the office of jus- tice of the peace, and done much at conveyancing, drafting instruments of writing, etc. He has also been supervisor of Harmony, and county superin- tendent of the poor. He married Olivia Kent, of Rome, N. Y., and had 6 daughters, all of whom attained maturity : Helen O., who was the wife of Dr. Wm. P. Bemus, of Jamestown, and died March, 1874; Jennie, wife of Enoch A. Curtis, of Fredonia; Therese M., wife of Wm. W. Partridge, who died March, 1872; Gertrude N., who married Charles T. Douglass, Busti ; Ida E., who died at 21 ; and Alice I., wife of Thomas H. Agnew, of Cambridge, Pa. Jennie, Gertrude, and Alice, are living,


: If Stward


635


SUPPLEMENT.


Charles Parker, from Otsego Co., came to Ellery; studied medicine with Dr. Burroughs, of Mayville. He practiced there and in various other places in the county, and now resides at Panama. He married Orlinda Sinclear, by whom he had 4 children, of whom one died young. Charles, who died of disease contracted in the war ; Albert, who died in a southern state, in the war; Daniel B., who was, for several years, mail agent, in Richmond, Va., was a U. S. marshal; and now resides in Brooklyn. Dr. Parker married, for a second wife, Elizabeth Atherly, of Harmony, and had by her six children.


Stephen W. Steward was born in Busti, Dec. 30, 1812. His occupation, during the greater portion of his life, was that of a farmer. In 1850, he re- moved to Clymer, and engaged in the mercantile business, in which he con- tinued many years. . He removed to Union City, Pa., where he remained about a year, and removed, in 1865, to Corry, Pa., and engaged in the bank- ing business. He was president of the First National Bank of Corry, and president of the Oil Creek Railroad. He died December 18, 1867 ; being one of the killed at the memorable railroad accident near Angola, in Erie Co., N. Y. He was married Oct. 4, 1835, to Olive Dexter, and had by her a daughter, Olive M. After the death of his first wife, he married, June 24, 1837, Caroline Stevens, by whom he had 4 children : William H., Dorlisca M., Dudley M., and Richard P. They were all married, but one, as follows : Olive was married to J. Bunday Murray ; William H., to Emeline S. Murray; Dorlisca M., to F. E. Mulkie. Dudley M. died April 3, 1868.


POLAND.


William T. Falconer, son of Robert Falconer, of Sugar Grove, Pa., else- where mentioned as a purchaser of property at Kennedy, Worksburg, and Dexterville, came to Kennedy about the year 1850, and purchased his father's interest in the mill property originally owned by Dr. Kennedy. He still re- sides at Kennedy, and owns the saw-mill and a large portion of the land. He has for many years, and until recently, been engaged in the mercantile busi- ness. He was married, in 1867, to Jennie Daily, of Brocton, and has two children, Archie D. and Frank Miller .. ·


Varanus Page, from Vermont, settled in 1818, on lot 12, and removed, in 1842, to Pennsylvania, where he died. He had a number of sons, one of whom, Varanus, resides at Kennedy, and is a justice of the peace.


The Baptist Church at Kennedy was organized in 1837. A meeting of the brethren and sisters had been held at the house of S. Akerley, Jan. 30, 1836, to consult in regard to the organization of a Baptist church, which they resolved to do. I. Gifford, S. Akerley, and John Miller were appointed a committee to draft articles and a covenant, and to make arrangements to secure preaching. On the 29th of June, 1837, a council met at the house of S. Akerley; the articles and covenant being satisfactory, the church was organized. The names of those who are supposed to have united at the


636


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


time, are Samuel Akerley, Isaac Gifford, Asa and John Miller, Nancy and Amanda Akerley, Elizabeth and Sally Miller, Ezekiel Randall, John C. Cady, Ephraim Sawyer, Roxa L. Gifford, Sally Porter, Sylvia Holbrook, and Laura Ann Foote-15 members. Early ministers were B. Braman, B. C. Willough- by, David Morse. Meetings were held at private residences and school- houses. The society was organized under the statute in 1853, but by neglect it was permitted to lose its legal existence, and was reorganized in 1868, in which year the church edifice was erected.


The Freewill Baptists have an organization at Kennedy, which is said to be a branch of the Ellington Free-will Baptist church. Also the Episcopal Methodists and Protestant Methodists have each a class and stated preaching.


Levant Wesleyan Church, [Wesleyan Methodist,] in the west part of the town, was organized by Rev. Emory Jones, the first pastor, date of organi- zation not given. The church edifice was erected in 1872.


POMFRET.


Benjamin F. Greene was born August 8, 1820, at Mayville, where his father, Nathaniel Greene, from Herkimer Co., had previously settled. He received his education in the district school and Fredonia academy. In 1842, he commenced the study of law with Francis H. Ruggles, and, while there, he was admitted to the bar. In 1846 or 1847, he removed to the city of Buffalo. In 1853, he was elected a judge of the supreme court, in the eighth judicial district, and commenced his official term the first of January, 1854 ; and he died Aug. 7, 1860, the day before he completed his 40th year, and more than a year before the expiration of his term of office. His death was appropriately noticed by the bar of Buffalo. As a judicial officer, he was said "to have been a model. He was intelligent, capable, and honest ; and, in his intercourse with his brethren and the bar, he was uniformly the obliging and courteous gentleman : and his memory will be long cherished by all our citizens who have known him." He was married, Sept. 20, 1853, to Harriet, daughter of Jonathan Sprague. They had three children : Nathaniel, who died at Red Wing, Minn., in April, 1863, aged eight years, and was buried in Fredonia ; Sprague, who died at 21/2 years ; and Susan.


Isaac Higgins was born in South-east, Putnam Co., N. Y., about the year 1797. He removed from Brookfield, Conn., in 1821, to Portland, and, about 1831, to Pomfret ; and thence, after about ten years, to Pennsylvania, where he died about 1853.


Thomas L. Higgins, son of Isaac, was born Nov. 17, 1820; lived with his father during the early part of his life ; received his education in the district school and Fredonia academy. For some time he was a surveyor of govern- ment lands in Northern Michigan. He was for several years a clerk, and thereafter, for many years, in the lumber business, in Cattaraugus Co .; and, in 1858, he returned to Fredonia, where he still resides. He was married to Rachel Watkins, of Clear Creek. They had five children : Charles A., who


637


SUPPLEMENT.


was orderly of Col. Drake in the army of the Potomac; and who subse- quently went with Lieutenant Commander Cushing to China, in the naval service, and returned on account of sickness, and died soon after his return ; Henrietta Agnes, who died at 20; Phebe M., who died at 6; Thomas L., Jr., who died at 8; and Lucy M.


Oscar W. Johnson was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., in 1823, and removed with his parents to Hamburgh, Erie Co., in 1836; and thence to Pomfret, in 1838. He received his academic education at Fredonia academy in 1839, '40, and '41. He studied law in Norwich, Chenango Co., with Col. John Wait ; commenced practice in Fredonia, in 1851. He was appointed post- master in 1852, the only official position he has held. He was married, in 1852, to Emily Murray, of Norwich, and has six daughters and three sons. His oldest son is now in the junior class in Hamilton college. Mr. Johnson has delivered many public lectures and addresses. He has given eight annual addresses at Chautauqua agricultural fairs, and has delivered similar addresses in Chenango county, and in Warren county, Pa. He has also lectured before Teachers' Institutes in half of the counties in the state. For his labors in the cause of education, he was honored with the degree of Master of Arts at Hamilton College. On the organization of the Dunkirk, Allegany Valley & Pittsburgh Railroad Company, he was made attorney of the road, which office he still holds.


Willard Mckinstry was born in Chicopee, Mass., May 9, 1815. He is of Scotch-Irish descent, his ancestors having emigrated from Scotland, with the Scotch protestants, to the north part of Ireland. His father, Perseus Mc- Kinstry, was born in Chicopee, in 1772; married Grace Williams, in 1803 ; was a tanner by trade, afterwards a farmer, and died in 1829. Willard was the seventh of eleven children ; lived on the farm until his apprenticeship commenced ; attended school summers until he was eleven, and winters until he was sixteen. He commenced apprenticeship as a printer in the North- ampton (Mass.) Courier office, in 1832. Beman Brockway, formerly of the Mayville Sentinel, and L. L. Pratt, late of the Fredonia Advertiser, were ap- prentices with him. He served four years, and then pursued his trade as a journeyman in New York, Hartford, and Springfield ; in the last place work- ing the hand press for G. & C. Merriam, publishers of Webster's Dictionary. In Nov., 1839, he came to Mayville, and worked a year for Brockway in the Sentinel office, and six months in the Erie Observer office. In 1842, he purchased the Fredonia Censor, which he has published nearly 34 years. He was appointed postmaster in 1863, and commissioned by President Lincoln, and reappointed, in 1867, by President Johnson. Having lived in four dif- ferent states previously to his coming to Fredonia, and gained a residence in neither, his first presidential vote was cast in 1844, for Henry Clay. He has since voted for Gen. Taylor, Gen. Scott, John C. Fremont, Abraham Lin- coln, and Gen. Grant. He joined the Congregational church in Chicopee, in 1831, and the Presbyterian church in Fredonia, in 1847. He was married, in 1843, to Maria A. Durlin, of Fredonia, and has four children ; the oldest,


-


638


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


Louis, having been a partner in the publication of the Censor since 1867 ; and the second son, Willard D., publisher of the Dunkirk Journal, since 1872. In February and March, 1865, Mr. Mckinstry spent six weeks in the service of the Christian Commission, in front of Petersburg, Va., at Alexandria, and at Washington. In this service he was present at Hatcher's Run, and assisted in taking care of the wounded.


David J. Matteson was born in Arlington, Vt., September, 1791, and was married to Apphia L. Walworth, December 15, 1813. He removed with his family to Pomfret in 1821, where he became a wealthy and independent farmer, and died Oct. 23, 1875. He had five children : 1. Frederick, who married Sophrona, daughter of Gen. Elijah Risley; was a practicing lawyer, a master in chancery, and special surrogate ; and is now engaged in horticul- ture. 2. John C., who was a graduate of a medical college in Philadelphia, was married to Anna Waud, and died at Dunkirk, May, 1868. 3. Clarissa H., wife of Wm. H. Cutler, a lawyer, and for a time an editor, in Fredonia. 4. Eliza Ann, wife of Philander L. Woods, principal of the academy, Brook- field, N. Y .; removed to Canada, where he was a bookseller and stationer. 5. Helena W., who married Egbert W. Barkley, of Fredonia, who removed to New York, and returned to Fredonia. He resides in Chicago ; she died there, and her remains were buried in Fredonia.


William Moore, from Oneida county, in 1820, settled one mile south of Fredonia, and about the year 1824, on the farm where he has since resided, near Laona. He is the owner of a large tract of land. Like some others who commenced comparatively poor, he has been successful in his acquisi- tions. He was married to Philura Rood, and has a son, George R., who married Susan Goldthrait, and resides with his father ; and two daughters : Ellen D., who resides with her parents ; and Hattie P., wife of R. Livingston Newton, residing at Irving, and has two daughters, Minnie and Carrie.


Lorenzo Morris was born at Smithfield, Madison Co., Aug. 14, 1817. He was the son of David Morris, a native of Otsego Co., who settled in the town of Chautauqua, in 1829. Lorenzo received his education in the com- mon school and Mayville academy; studied law with Hon. Thomas A. Os- borne; and was admitted to practice in 1841, and has been a justice of ses- sions. In 1839, he was commissioned colonel, by Gov. Seward. In 1867, he was elected senator ; and, in 1872, he was appointed by Gov. Hoffman one of the commissioners to propose amendments to the constitution. He was also postmaster at Fredonia from 1855 to 1861. He was married in 1843, to Fanny E., daughter of Walter Strong, of the town of Westfield. He has three children : Ellen M., wife of John S. Russell, a partner in law with Mr. Morris ; Clara A .; and Walter D.


Leverett Todd, from Waterbury, Conn., settled in Pomfret, on lot 45, bought in 1818. He married Charlotte Woods, by whom he had two sons and a daughter, the last of whom died young. He and his son Albert live together on the old farm. Andrew resides in Iowa.


Benjamin Walworth was born in Bozrah, Conn., Oct. 13, 1792. He was


639


SUPPLEMENT.


fifth in descent from Mary Chilton, the first woman that landed on Plymouth Rock from the Mayflower. The Walworths in this country all descended from Wm. Walworth, great-great-grandfather of Benj. Walworth, whose father, Benjamin, was quarter-master and acting adjutant in the Revolutionary army. Judge Walworth, when an infant, removed with his father to Hoosic, Rensse- laer Co. He was educated in the district school, and in a select school. He studied medicine in Cambridge, and practiced his profession for some time in Hoosic. In October, 1824, he came to Fredonia, where he still resides. In 1828, he was commissioned by Gov. Pitcher, an associate coun- ty judge, and served as such until 1840. He was brother of the Chancellor, Reuben Hyde Walworth. He was married at Hoosic Falls, in 1817, to Charlotte Eddy, a native of Pittstown, Rensselaer county. They had two children : 1. Rebecca, wife of Elias Forbes, principal owner and manager of the Fredonia gas works. 2. Kosciusko R., who was drowned at Saybrook, Conn., at the age of 22. The children of Rebecca were Kosciusko W., and Charlotte E., wife of Isaac S. Kingland, who is a civil engineer on railroads, residing at Fredonia.


In 1855, Haskell L. Taylor commenced wagon-making, on Center street, in a small wood building, about ro rods from Main street. In 1858, he took into partnership Festus Day; and in 1864, Thomas H. Prushaw becanie a partner ; after which time the business was conducted under the firm name of Taylor, Day & Co. Their work has been almost wholly the making of carriages, of which they manufacture a great variety. A patent combination spring road wagon, an article of their own invention, has constituted, for several years, a large portion of their business. In April, 1875, H. Doug- lass Crane bought the interest of Mr. Taylor. Present firm, Day, Prushaw & Crane.


Mullett, Green & Bissell also are manufacturers of carriages.' The busi- ness was established about thirty years ago, by Obed Bissell. About 1868, Mr. Bissell died, and the above firm was formed, and has continued business to the present time.


A similar establishment is that of Herman & Luther, commenced about ten years ago. Mr. Herman had previously been engaged in carriage-making.


Horatio W. Green has a planing-mill for doing custom planing work, and a manufactory for making sash, doors, and blinds. The establishment has been in operation about 12 or 15 years.


The Methodist Episcopal Church of Fredonia was organized about the year 1818. The first class consisted of Jeremiah Baldwin and his wife, Daniel Gould and his wife, Otis Ensign and wife, and others whose names can not be found. Among the early ministers were Francis Dighton, Darius Wil- liams, J. Keyes, and Wilder B. Moak. Among the later ministers were E. H. Yingling, D. S. Steadman, J. H. Tagg, A. N. Craft, R. F. Randolph, and the present, James M. Bray. The first church edifice was erected, and dedi- cated in 1820. The present is a first-class house, and, with its appurte- nances, cost about $30,000.


640


HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.


RIPLEY.


Judd W. Cass, son of Nathan Cass, and brother of the late Jonathan Cass, of Westfield, settled early in Ripley, on the hill, in the north-east part of the town, where he still resides. He was married, first, to Olive Dickson, and had two daughters : Jane, deceased ; and Margaret, wife of John Park- hurst Hungerford, residing on the farm with Mr. Cass. He married for his second wife, Mrs. Ludlow, who also is deceased.


John Bell Dinsmore was born in Windham, N. H., and, at the age of 15, removed with his father's family to Londonderry, N. H. His mother was a daughter of Hon. John Bell, of Londonderry, and sister of John and Samuel Bell, who were governors of that state. When quite a young man, Mr. Dins- more made several voyages from Boston to the West Indies, for the benefit of his health ; and, after its restoration, he went south to visit an uncle, Silas Dinsmore, agent of the general government among the Choctaw Indians. While there, he became the first conqueror of "Old Hickory," [Gen. Jack- son,] who was taking to Tennessee a lot of slaves he had purchased in Alabama, and had to pass the Choctaw agency. The agent had been order- ed, by the government, to require a pass from the governor of the state from which slaves were taken into another state, and passing the agency; which pass had been offered to Gen. Jackson, and refused by him. When he ar- rived with his slaves, Col. Dinsmore, the agent, being absent from home, two of his nephews, young Dinsmore and Smith, were in charge of the agency. When the general arrived, he was asked for his pass. He replied, that the government had no right to demand a pass from him, and ordered the slaves to proceed. In an instant he found himself surrounded by a large number of well armed young Indians, whom Dinsmore and Smith had in readiness to enforce the order of government, having learned that Jackson had refused a pass, and determined to force his way through. But the boys conquered him; and he had to send to the governor for a pass before he was allowed to proceed.


On his return from the South, in September, 1815, Mr. Dinsmore passed through Ripley ; and, pleased with the country, he purchased of Nathan Wisner his interest in a contract for 12772 acres of land, being the west part of lot 13, now in the village of Quincy, where he resided until about two years before his death, when he sold to Joel Colvin, and erected a new dwell- ing on the north side of the street, where he died, Aug. 13, 1871, aged 79 years. Mr. Dinsmore married for his first wife, Nancy Wilson, of Harbor Creek, Pa .; for his second wife, Elizabeth Griffin, of Connecticut ; and for his third wife, Harriet Alden, of Meadville, Pa., who, with the following named children, survived him : Jane S. Hawley, Sally W. Marvin, Wm. W. Dinsmore, Harriet G. Woodruff, John B. Dinsmore, Elizabeth A, Goodrich, and James Dinsmore. Mr. Dinsmore was, for more than fifty years, a mem- ber of the Presbyterian church in Ripley, a kind husband, father, and neighbor, and a truly honest man.


Dudley Marino


641


SUPPLEMENT.


Elihu Marvin was born in Connecticut, in 1791. In early life he was en- gaged in mechanical pursuits ; at Derby, Conn., was connected with a woolen factory, under the auspices of Gen. David Humphreys, whose niece he mar- ried. About 1820, he removed to Ripley, having purchased a farm afterwards owned by Judge Selden Marvin, and now by John Dawson, east of and near the East Ripley meeting-house. He was a zealous friend of educational and religious institutions. About 1863, he removed to Erie, Pa., where he still resides, at the advanced age of 84 year


Dudley Marvin, son of Elisha Marvin and Elizabeth Selden, was born in Lyme, New London Co., Conn., May 9, 1786. His ancestors emigrated from England about 1632. In his father's family were ten children. Dud- ley received his education at Colchester academy, Conn. He came to Canandaigua in 1807, at the age of 21 ; studied law in the office of Howell & Greig, and was admitted to practice in the supreme court, in 1811. He immediately came to Erie, Pa., and was there admitted to practice ; but soon returned to Canandaigua, where, after a practice of several years, he formed a partnership with Mark H. Sibley, who had completed his law studies in his office. In 1822, he was elected a representative in Congress, and was twice reelected. He there became a personal friend of Henry Clay, then speaker of the house. He was an able advocate of the protective policy, and an active supporter of Mr. Adams for president. During the war of 1812, he held a lieutenancy in the state militia, and went to Rochester when an attack upon that place was apprehended. Afterwards he held, successively, the offices of colonel, brigadier-general, and major-general. After the expiration. of his last congressional term, he devoted much time to mechanical im- provements which he invented and patented. In 1836, he practiced law in. the city of New York ; and, from 1837 to 1843, in the city of Brooklyn, where he ranked high in his profession. In the summer of 1843, he removed to Ripley, intending to discontinue practice. But having, in his early practice, been brought among the profession in the county from its organization, in. many important suits, he was employed as counsel, and regularly attended courts in several counties. His interest in political affairs was revived, in 1844, on the nomination of Henry Clay, his mutual friend, in whose support he distinguished himself as an orator and advocate of protection. In 1846, he was nominated as a candidate for the constitutional convention, with George. W. Patterson and Richard P. Marvin. But on the decision that Chautauqua county was entitled to but two delegates, he withdrew. In the ensuing fall, he was elected a representative in Congress from this district. After his removal to Ripley, be made a profession of religion, and became a member of the Presbyterian church .. He was an earnest advocate of tem- perance. In 1818, he was married, at Canandaigua, to Mary. Whalley. Their only child, Selden Marvin, was born at Canandaigua, June 19, 1819. He read law with his father, in New York, and was admitted to practice in 1841. He came the same year to Ripley, and purchased the farm of his uncle, Elihu Marvin, east of and near the old Presbyterian church, where




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.