History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches, Part 82
Author: Young, Andrew W. (Andrew White), 1802-1877; Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation. fmo; Huntington Free Library. fmo
Publication date: 1875
Publisher: Buffalo, N.Y. : Printing House of Matthews & Warren
Number of Pages: 948
USA > New York > Chautauqua County > History of Chautauqua County, New York : from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous biographical and family sketches > Part 82
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82
In 1836, the steamer Robert Falconer commenced her career ; and in 1838 her name was changed to William H. Seward. Stoneman's horse-boat, " The Twins," a craft of unique construction, commenced running in 1849, and ceased in 1852. The Hollam Vail was built in 1851 or 1852, and the next season, just before she started on her first trip, she was scuttled at May- ville, and sunk about a quarter of a mile from the landing, having been car-
660
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
ried off by the wind. She was raised and fitted up, and was run that season, and took fire at the dock at Mayville, and was burned. The C. C. Dennis was built in 1855 or 1856, by Capt. J. W. Gardner, the principal or sole pro- prietor, and was run 3 or 4 years ; some say, from 1857 to 1862, inclusive. The steamer Chautauqua, No. 2, was built in 1863, by James and Wm. T. Howell and Alfred Wilcox. After running one season, an interest was pur- chased by Wm. Whallon ; and she was thereafter sold to a Mr. Hill, of Corry, Pa., and others, who owned her at the time of the explosion in August, 1871, at Whitney's landing, on her trip up the lake, about 6 miles below Mayville, where she had stopped to "wood." The cause of the explosion was an empty boiler. Eight persons were killed, and several were injured, and recovered damages.
The Post Boy, owned by Peter Colby, appeared in 1867. She was after- ward purchased by Alfred Wilcox, and altered, her name changed to A. R. Trew, and burned in 1869. In 1869, the steamer Jamestown was built by Charles Brown and Ray Scofield. Scofield's interest was purchased, the following spring, by Charles G. Maples, who commanded her in 1870. She was thereafter owned and run by several persons till the autumn of 1875, when she was burned at Jamestown, the property of Capt. T. H. Grandin. She had recently been rebuilt and enlarged, and was 156 feet in length, and her width, 21 feet. She was a screw-propeller.
In 1874, the P. J. Hanour was built for Beck and Griffith. She was a small boat, having a carrying capacity of 200 persons, and was commanded by Fred. W. Griffith, who became her sole owner. She was burned in the . fall of the same year. Capt. Griffith immediately commenced the construc- tion of a new boat, named
M. A. Griffith, which, after having made the season of 1875, had her upper works destroyed by fire at the burning of the Jamestown. Her keel was 80 feet long, her deck, 86 feet; breadth of beam, 21 feet. She will probably be again ready for service at the opening of navigation next spring.
The May Martin was built in Jamestown in 1875, by Dr. W. B. Martin, of Busti, and Frank Steele, of Jamestown. She is a stern-wheel steamer: length, 68 feet, 12 feet beam. She can carry 200 passengers, and is intended for pleasure excursions. She can run down the outlet to the railroad depot.
The J. M. Burdick, a small steam yacht, owned in Mayville, although she can run in any part of the lake, is chiefly used in the upper part. Her length is 52 feet ; width, 9 feet. She can carry 15 tons and is also intended for pleasure parties.
The C. J. Hepburn, another steam yacht, is also intended for excursion parties. Its length is 56 feet; beam, 7 feet 3 inches. It is owned in Mayville.
The steamer Nettie Fox was built at Jamestown, in the spring of 1875, for C. J. Fox and Capt. Robert Jones, by Isaac Hammutt, of Pittsburgh. She was the first stern-wheel boat on the lake. Her length is 170 feet ; breadth of beam, 32 feet. She has a cabin, 21 by 60 feet, on her main
.
661
SUPPLEMENT.
MOREITTEN
NETTIE FOX.
BUREAU OF ILLUSTRATION NVEFALO MY.
deck, on which are two engines, 15 inches by 5 feet. The boiler deck has two cabins, 10 by 12 feet. The boat has a promenade deck, 32 by 60 feet, and a ladies' cabin, 21 by 50 feet, opening from which are four state rooms, a wash room, etc. The upper, or hurricane deck, also is used entirely as a promenade. There is a saloon and office ; but no liquor is kept on board, the boat being run strictly on temperance principles. Her acting captain, last season, was James F. Fox.
The Col. William Phillips was built at Bemus Point, in 1873, from plans furnished by R. J. I. Cooper, of Buffalo, and C. C. Beck, of Jamestown. Her length is 125 feet ; breadth of beam, 17 feet. She is a side-wheel boat, and said to be the only one on the lake. She has two engines of 40 horse power; and her boiler is of 90 horse power. On the lower deck is a small cabin, 16 by 20 feet ; above are two open decks, one at each end of the boat, and a saloon 50 by 14 feet. The Phillips has, from the first, been commanded, and owned, also, it is said, by Capt. William H. Whitney, mem- ber of assembly from the first assembly district of this county, for the year 1876.
The Josie Bell was built in 1875, by Goodrich & Campbell, of Corry, Pa. Her length is 55 feet; beam, 17 feet. She is designed for pleasure parties, and has a cabin 20 by 11 feet, and a promenade deck. This boat conveyed President Grant from Jamestown to Fair Point, in August, 1875.
There are several other small steamboats or yachts owned in Mayville, designed for the use of those who are annually attracted to this favorite resort of the seekers of health and recreation. They are the Hettie Hooker, owned by Fox & Lytle, being in length 321/2 feet ; beam 512 feet; the
662
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
Olivia Hepburn, owned by Whiteside, Hepburn & Phillips, 53 feet long, by 81/2 feet beam ; the Lotus, 20 feet by 532, owned by W. P. Whiteside ; and the Nereus, 38 feet, by 6 feet beam, owned by Warren & Hammond. This boat conveyed Gen. Grant from Fair Point to Mayville.
HOTELS.
The Fluvanna House is the oldest of the hotels on the lake. Samuel Whittemore, from Concord, N. H., settled at this place, near the head of the outlet, in 1826. He commenced, at an early day, the keeping of a public house, which has been enlarged and improved, until it has attained a distinc- tion of which its worthy founder could have had no idea when he started his humble house of entertainment before Fluvanna had a name. It was the first summer resort on the lake. The house has now a front of 216 feet, and a depth of 70 feet. It is two stories high, and has fifty-two rooms. Its dining room has a capacity to seat 150 persons. The house was kept by its founder on the temperance plan, and is still so conducted by his son, who inherited the estate.
The Sherwin House is a later and a smaller establishment, situated about twenty rods from the Fluvanna House. It has a good reputation, and fur- nishes to the sojourner, at a moderate price, a quiet and a pleasant summer home.
The Lake Shore Hotel, at Griffith's Point, is also a first-class hotel, about a mile above Fluvanna, and about five miles from Jamestown. It is owned and kept by Frank L. Griffith. By repeated enlargements which have from time to time become necessary, its proprietor is enabled to accommodate 250 boarders. The house, or the greater part of it, is four stories high, and has a frontage on the lake of 200 feet, and has verandahs on two stories. It has one hundred and fifteen rooms. The dining room is 94 by 30 feet, and will seat 250 people. Its grove, lawn, play ground, row boats, etc., with its excellent internal arrangements, can not fail to satisfy the most fastidious.
BEMUS POINT is about half way between the upper and lower ends of the lake, on the east side. This is the longest point on the lake, at what is called the Narrows. It takes its name from William Bemus, the first settler in the town of Ellery. Here is the Chautauqua Lake House, owned and kept by A. J. Pickard. It has a front of 150 feet, and is 60 feet on the lake road. It has verandahs on two stories. It is perhaps sufficient to say of this house, that it compares favorably with others along the shore of the lake, and is said to be well patronized.
The Garfield House, at this point, is a small house, capable of accommo- dating only 30 or 40 people. Its surroundings, as those of other hotels along the lake, are such as to make it an agreeable home.
LAKE VIEW is on the south shore of Chautauqua lake, four miles from Jamestown, and within five minutes walk from the station of the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad. The Kent House, at this place, was opened in June, 1875. It is a very large house, new and complete in its appointments.
663
SUPPLEMENT.
It has water and gas throughout, and has all modern conveniences, includ- ing a steam laundry. It has a frontage on the lake of 336 feet, and is four stories high, with verandahs surrounding every story, making a promenade of nearly half a mile. The main dining hall is roo feet in length, with a small dining room 30 feet long, for the use of private parties desiring it. The house has accommodation for 300 guests. People can be furnished with rooms in cottages. The manager of this house is E. H. Bowen.
The Lake View House, but a short distance from the Kent House, stands directly in front of the landing, and in the outskirts of a grove of hemlock and chestnut trees. The house fronts on the lake 150 feet. The sides, 60 feet long, also afford a good water view. There are forty-three sleeping rooms, nearly all of them commanding a view of the water. The house is three stories high, with a verandah on two stories, extending around three sides. It is owned by Hall, Packard & Co., and conducted by Mrs. A. D. Stough & Son, late of the Forest City House, Cleveland, O. It is represented as a well kept and pleasant hotel ; and it is commended to many by the fact that no bar is kept in it, and no liquor sold on the premises.
Of the public houses on the lake shore, one only-the Chautauqua House at Mayville-remains to be noticed. It is at the steamboat landing ; the railroad passing between the house and the lake. Its proprietor is Mr. Horace Fox, formerly of the Mayville House. It has a front of 120 feet, and a side of 82 feet. It is three stories high, and has a hall above. It has the reputation of a well managed hotel ; and every convenience neces- sary to the comfort and enjoyment of guests, seems to have been provided. Its eating rooms will seat 150 persons at their tables.
The Mayville House, formerly kept by Mr. Horace Fox, stands in the cen- tral or business part of the village, on elevated ground, and near the court- house and county offices, and nearly half a mile from the landing. The building has four stories and a Mansard roof. It has sixty-six sleeping rooms, and can accommodate 100 to 125 guests. It has an observatory, from which by the aid of a powerful glass, a number of towns, it is said, are distinctly visible. Although originally intended for ordinary hotel purposes, it has be- come a competitor of what are usually termed the lake boarding houses, and, as is believed, with considerable success. Its proprietor is Mr. John R. Robertson, formerly clerk of the county.
FAIR POINT.
The celebrity which this place has acquired within the last few years, would justify a more extended notice of the "Point," and of the operations of the " Association " under whose auspices it has attained its present posi- tion, than the circumscribed limits of this history will permit.
The name of the corporation is " The Chautauqua Lake Camp-Meeting Association," and was organized under a general law of the state. Its object was to acquire and hold lands in fee simple, or for a term of years, at or near Chautauqua lake, within the bounds of the Erie Conference of the M.
664
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
E. Church, for the purpose of holding camp-meetings thereon, and for other purposes not inconsistent therewith. Surplus revenues accruing to the asso- ciation are to go to the Erie Annual Conference for distribution among the conference claimants. Life members are the persons named in the act of incorporation ; contributors to the funds of the association not less than $50 ; and churches are entitled to a life member for each $50 contributed. Per- sons contributing $5 may be members for one year, and may attend meet- ings ; but may not vote nor hold office.
The trustees elect, from their own number, a president, a vice-president, a treasurer, and a secretary ; and, from the life members, a presidential com- mittee of three, who, with the officers mentioned, constitute an executive committee. Three-fourths of the trustees are to be members of the Metho- dist church.
The association purchased, from Stephen M. Hunt, 50 acres of land for $10,000, a part of which was laid out in lots of different sizes.
Ground is reserved for an auditorium 350 feet wide. The lots in the upper" part of the grounds are to be of uniform size, and to be laid out on a better plan ; and the central avenue is to be 100 feet wide, from the upper entrance to its junction with the lower part. During the session of 1873, the idea was advanced, that a convention of Sunday School workers would be bene- ficial to the cause, and that this was a suitable place to hold it. The sug- gestion was approved, and before the camp-meeting closed, the Sunday School Association was formed; Lewis Miller, Esq., of Akron, Ohio, being elected its president.
The sum expended for improvements, besides assembly improvements, is about $12,000. There are, on the grounds, 135 cottages, I hotel, I general office, I dining hall, 1 bath house, ticket offices, etc. Preparations for the contemplated assembly in August, were commenced early in the spring, and carried forward rapidly. An invaluable work, designed as an aid to Sunday School instruction, was the Holy Land, in miniature, laid out on the shore of the lake. It exhibited the more prominent features of Palestine-villages, cities, mountains, valleys, rivers, seas, and plains, almost perfect in detail. The first session of the assembly, in respect to numbers, was a great success. Thousands, from great distances, were attracted thither by the announcement of the names of distinguished speakers from different religious denomina- tions. Thus encouraged, the directors were determined to make the second session [in 1875,] an improvement on the former ; and it is by many be- lieved, they were successful. Whether the same degree of interest will be kept up in succeeding years, time will determine. The fame of "Chautau- qua lake and its surroundings," has become almost world-wide; and there are, as yet, no signs of their becoming less attractive as a summer resort.
POINT CHAUTAUQUA ASSOCIATION.
This association is a stock company, incorporated under a general law of the state, Sept. 30, 1875. The first regular movement in this enterprise was
665
SUPPLEMENT.
made August 14, 1875, in cottage No. 215, Fair Point. Rev. Emerson Mills, of Forestville, was chosen chairman, and Rev. J. H. Miller, of Mayville, secretary. A committee, consisting of the following named persons, was raised to look out grounds on Chautauqua lake, for the desired object: Revs. J. B. Vrooman, J. H. Miller, E. Mills, R. H. Austin, A. M. Tenant, I. N. Pease, Hon. Walter L. Sessions, Hon. W. W. Brown, Dennis Smith, and Prof. Eaton.
The stock of the company consists of 400 shares of $100 each, of which no one is allowed to hold more than ten shares. The directors are Hon. Walter L. Sessions, Rev. J. B. Vrooman, Hon. W. W. Brown, A. K. Wing, J. A. Parsons, E. R. Titus, N. Y. Elliott, Alexander Morian, Rev. J. H. Mil- ler, E. L. Hedstrom, Prof. J. H. Eaton, (Pittsburgh,) J. R. Robertson, Rev. R. H. Austin, Daniel Williams, Rev. I. N. Pease. Walter L. Sessions is president ; J. H. Miller, secretary; N. Y. Elliott, treasurer.
The association has purchased between 100 and 200 acres of land on the eastern shore of Chautauqua lake, about 212 miles from Mayville. The soil is dry, and suitable for building purposes. On the grounds is a beautiful grove of maples, with a variety of other trees ; the timber being all of second growth. The grove, consisting of about 20 acres, is to be used as a park ; near the center of which is an auditorium that will accommodate 10,000 people. On the west side is a pavilion that will accommodate from 1,500 to 2,000 people. Mr. Frederic L. Olmsted, of New York, is laying out the grounds, designed for summer residences. Between 100 and 200 cottages are to be completed by the first of August next. The Harmony Baptist As- sociation, with several other like bodies, is expected to meet there the last week in August, 1876. The grove will be used for picnics, meetings of various kinds, and specially for the general anniversaries of the Baptist de- nomination. Two-thirds of the directors must be Baptists ; but others are entitled to equal rights as stockholders. Stock, to the amount of nearly $40,000, has been taken. The association paid for the entire purchase $2,820. All the money realized from the sale of stock and lots over and above the purchase money, is to be expended for improvements. The capi- tal stock can not exceed $60,000. The grounds were formerly known as " Leet's Point."
ASSESSED VALUE OF REAL AND PERSONAL ESTATE, and the amount of Taxes in Chautauqua County in the years mentioned.
Years.
Real Property.
Personal.
Total.
Taxes.
1870.
$13,922,429
$1,832,016
$14,754,445
$249,705
187 1.
14,087,079
1,672,084
15,159,163
243,433
1872 ..
14,216,758
1,634,209
15,850,967
268,399
1873
14,734,580
1,529,629
16,264,209
246,423
1874.
37,535,849
3,634,714
41, 170,563
277,225
1875.
36,348,282
3,366,070
39,7 14,352
246,489
The great increase of assessed value of property in 1874, is accounted for
666
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
by the previous prevalent practice of assessing property at less than one-half of its actual cash value.
POPULATION OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
1820
12,568
1860 58,422
1830
34,671
1870
59,327
1840
47,975
1875 64,529
1850
50,493
LODGES.
The organization of the Lodges, and the names of early and present members and officers, are given in the sketches of the towns in which they were formed. A number of these not thus noticed, are the following :
United Brethren Lodge of Free Masons in Busti was installed at the house of Herman Bush, July 4, 1826. Herman Bush, I . M.
Harmony Lodge. Ashville, installed Aug. 16, 1826. Com. of Arrange- ments-Hiram Alden, Isaac Fitch, John Stow.
Albion Lodge, Westfield, installed Aug. 14, 1826. Com. of Arrangements -Jonathan Cass, Aaron Rumsey, Carleton Jones, Joshua R. Babcock. E. T. Foote, installing officer.
Forest Lodge, F. & A. M., of Fredonia, is said to have been the first estab- lished in the county. Of the date of its organization and the names of its officers, we have no account. A lodge by this name, No. 166, a new organ- ization, was founded in 1850, whose officers were Suel H. Dickinson, M. : John Sloan, S. W .; Robert Cowden, J. W .; John Lawson, treas. ; Henry Bosworth, sec. In 1874, its officers were Wm. M. Lester, W. M. ; James H. Lake, S. W .; John G. Cohoe, J. W .; Junius C. Frisbee, treas. ; John C. Mullett, sec. ; K. W. Forbes, S. D. ; Benj. Thompson, J. D .; L. Morris, marshal ; John G. Paschke, tyler.
Summit Lodge, No. 219, Westfield, was organized June 11, 1851. Its first officers were : Thomas B. Campbell, W. M .; Abijah Clark, S. W. ; Dexter Barnes, J. W. Present officers [1874.]-J. C. Gifford, W. M. ; H. R. Smith, S. W .; John Heron, J. W .; J. H. Haight,.S. D .; J. Bartlett, J. D .; E. S. Bartholomew, master of cer. ; Caleb Holland, tyler ; P. Bemus, sec. ; John L. Hutchins, treas. ; J. C. Schofield, chaplain.
Peacock Lodge, No. 696, of Free and Accepted Masons, [named after the Hon. William Peacock,] was organized in Mayville, February 28, 1869 ; chartered June 9, 1869. James Gibson, Grand Master. First officers- Nicholas G. Luke, W. M .; George Wood, S. W .; John F. Young, J. W. ; Amos K. Warren, treas. ; Otis E. Tiffany, sec'y ; William S. Gleason, S. D .; Peter M. Pickard, J. D .; Horace Fox, master of cer. ; Cyrus Underwood, Jr., tyler. Present officers-Wm. S. Gleason, W. M. ; Wm. Chace, S. W. ; Marion A. Keyes, J. W. ; Hiram D. Barnes, treas. ; Lewis M. Smith, sec'y ; John M. Seymour, S. D. ; Martin F. Whallon, J. D .; Daniel Mills, Cyrus Underwood, M. of C .; Charles Saulpaugh, tyler. Present members, 60. [Sept. 1873.]
667
SUPPLEMENT.
Fredonia Lodge, No. 338, I. O. O. F. Instituted Nov. 8, 1872. First officers-George C. Rood, N. G .; Charles F. Matteson, V. G .; J. M. Tif- fany, treas. ; J. K. Starr, sec. Present officers, (probably 1874:)-C. F. Matteson, N. G. ; George D. Hinckley, V. G .; J. M. Tiffany, treas. ; J. K. Starr, sec.
Fredonia R. A. Chapter, No. 76. Date of organization not given. Nath- an L. Payne, H. P .; J. Warren Lake, king; James D. Wells, scribe ; Junius C. Frisbee, treas. ; John C. Mullett, sec.
668
HISTORY OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY.
NOTES AND CORRECTIONS.
John Birdsall is said, p. 27, to have been appointed circuit judge, while residing in Lockport. It was so written on what was supposed to be good authority. It is, however, elsewhere stated, and, it is presumed correctly, that his appointment, in 1826, was made after he had become a resident of Mayville.
Big Black Walnut Tree .- A description of this remarkable curiosity in the town of Hanover, is on pages 414-15. Following, in close connection, the historical sketch of Forestville, readers unacquainted with the history of this famed tree, would naturally infer that it grew near Walnut creek in Forest- ville. As it stood near that stream in the village of Silver Creek, its description should have been inserted in the sketch of that village.
Charles P. Young, who is mentioned, p. 83, as being from Ellery, was at that time a resident of the town of Chautauqua.
Sherman. The newspaper in which the "Fragments of History" were published, page 545, was the Western New Yorker, an earlier paper at Sherman than the News.
Conewango, the name of a stream in the south-east part of this county, and of a town in Cattaraugus county, is often spelled with the letter a double be- fore the e. In writing this work, this spelling was adopted upon authority deemed reliable. From further examination, it seems that early usage, as well as propriety, is in favor of a single n. As uniformity is desirable, it is hoped the word will hereafter be written only Conewango.
P. 77, 7th line from bottom, for 1810, read 1807.
P. 88, 15th line from bottom, for "John Eason," read David Eason.
P. 273, 9th line from bottom, for " two sons," read ten sons.
P. 324, bottom line, for " Rogers," read Hedges.
P. 416, 23d line, for " 1836," read 1636.
P. 417, 3d line, for " 1857," read 1757.
P. 642, Ist and 2d lines. Mr. Marvin held only the office of special county judge, to which office William Green was elected in 1855.
ADDITIONAL CORRECTIONS.
PAGE 240. Southland Family. For "I. Caroline M., who married Rev. Asahel Chapin," read Catharine M., &c.
P. 256. For " Philip Sink," read Philip Link.
P. 281, 282. Tracy Family. Last line, p. 281, after Erie, read county. P. 282. Jedediah R. died in Westfield, in 1850 ; his widow resides in Iowa. Clarinda, in the order of birth, preceded Perry. Phebe married Adley Randall. Martha M., wife of Henry WV. Bessac. Harriet M. married J. Otto Green. Add, ro. Asahel B., who married Isabella Campbell, and resides at Mayville.
P. 282. For "Samuel S. Wallon," read Samuel S. Whallon.
P. 315. Line 14, for " Azariah Bennett," read Abijah Bennett.
P. 343- Line 7, for " Rufus Landon," read Reuben Landon.
P. 372 Family of Samuel B. Winsor. Ruby C. is wife of Hiram Hacsard.
P. 442. Family of Sardius Steward. Read Helen Almina, wife of James H. Polley.
P. 485, 486. John P. and Ralph H. Hall. The name of the former in his sketch, p. 485, is correctly given, though he is, on p. 486, alluded to as John A. The name of his brother, copied from an incorrect source, is given on both pages as Ralph A., instead of Ralph H. [See also p. 647.]
P. 506. David Eaton, born 1782.
P. 524. Last line, read Clarissa, daughter of Burban Brockway.
P. 528. Line 8, read Simeon, who married Alvina Fuller.
P. 613. Sketch of Hiram Tiffany. For " two children," read no children.
P. 650. Line I, for ' John Dixon," read Abram Dixon.
P. 654. Omission supplied. The names of John P. Hall and Samuel Barrett, members .of assembly in 1850, do not appear in the list.
P. 664. Line 10, for " presidential," read prudential.
P. 665. The purchase money paid by the Point Chautauqua Association, is stated to be $2,820. The sum paid was $28, 200.
INDEX.
Agriculture, early ; first county agricultural society, 149-50. Akin, Joseph, first settler in Kiantone, 77. America, discovery of, 63 ; Royal charters, 63.
Allegany county, from what counties formed, and when, IIO. Animals, wild, 81 ; wolves, destruction of, 81 ; wolf hunt, 82 ; encounters with bears, 83-84. Anti-masonry, history of, 166.
Antislavery, history of, 146-8 ; early antislavery papers, 146; meetings broken up, 147 ; petitions in congress, treatment of, 147-8.
Ashes, how manufactured, and value of, 94 ; quantity manufactured, 95-7.
Bake-kettle, or Dutch oven, 87.
Bears, encounter with, by Wyman Bugbee, 83 ; and by Jehial Tiffany, 84.
Bemus, Wm. early settler in Ellery, 77.
Bennett, Abijah, and son, capture of, hy Indians, 322.
Bloss, William, a noted wood chopper and marksman, 390-I.
Boundary line between the whites and Indians, 49 ; between New York and Pennsylva- nia, 60.
Broadhead, Col., expedition of, 50 ; superseded by Col. William Irvine, 53. Buffalo and bison, habitation of, 29.
Bugbee, Wyman, fight of, with bear, 83.
Bucktails and Clintonians, history of, 162-3.
Cabins, log, construction of, 78.
Camp, Rev. Phineas, labors of, as missionary, 106. Canadaway, early settlement of, 75-6.
Cattaraugus county, when formed, and from what counties, IIO.
Charters, granted to colonists, by kings of England, 64. Chautauqua, origin and name of, 35 ; lake, British and Indian expedition over, 51.
Chantauqua, town of, and early settlement, 262 ; history of, 262-70.
Chautauqua county, formation and organization of, 109-14; divisions of, 115-16.
Chautauqua lake, history of, its commerce, attractions, &c., 659-65.
Clearing land, description of, 80.
Clinton, Simeon, killed by lightning, 226.
Clintonian and bucktail parties, history of, 162-3. Clinton, De Witt, candidate for governor, 168.
Cochran, Alexander, first settler in Ripley, 75. Cole, Mrs., a heroine of the war of 1812, 303. Cooking, early, described, 87.
Corn crackers, or hominy blocks, description and use of, 89. Corn, manner of harvesting ; corn huskings, 86-7. County, early settlement, 70 ; the McMahan purchases, 73.
Cross Roads, early settlement at, 74; [see Westfield. ]
Cushing, Zattu, early settler at Fredonia, 468; his perils on Lake Erie, and narrow escape, 468.
670
INDEX.
De Celeron, French captain, takes possession of Western Pennsylvania, 35.
Deer hunting, a common business, 85.
Denonville, governor of Canada, expedition of, against Indians, 29.
Division of business, 98, 99.
Dunkirk, settlement of, 304.
Dunn, James, early settler in Portland, 76.
Early dwellings, description of, 78.
Eclipse of the sun, total, June 16, 1806, interesting description of, 218.
Ellicott, first settlement in, 77.
Expedition, British and Indians, over Chautauqua lake, 51.
Family or household manufacturing, 89.
Fare of the early settlers ; flour obtained from Canada and Niagara Falls, 88 ; leeks used for food, 88.
Farming, early, 85 ; rude implements, description of, and mode of harvesting, 85-6.
Fort Niagara, reoccupied and reconstructed by the French, 35.
Frank settlement, in Busti, 235. Franks captured by Indians, 235-6.
French and Indian war, causes of, 34.
Genesee county, when formed, and of what territory composed, 110.
Granger, Francis, candidate for governor, 168.
Habeas corpus, suspension of writ of, in civil war, 191.
Hennepin, Louis, explorations of, with La Salle and Tonti, 28.
Holland Land Company, lands purchased by, 66 ; policy of, 126-8 ; sell their lands, 129-31 ; Genesee tariff, 130-1 ; destruction of land-office, 131 ; policy of Mr. Sew- ard, 131-5 ; Cherry Valley Company's purchase, 135.
Holmes, Orsamus, a Revolutionary soldier, his wonderful adventures, 540-3.
Hontan, Baron La, and Denonville, expedition of, against the Senecas, 29. Ilis de- scription of the Lake Erie country, 29.
Household manufactures, 89 ; spinning, weaving, and dyeing, 89-90.
Hominy-mills or hominy-blocks, construction and use of, 89.
Independence, celebration of, first in Ellicott, 331.
Indians, Neutral and Huron Iroquois nations, 20 ; wars of, 25 ; territory occupied by dif- ferent tribes, 30. Early occupation of Chautauqua county, by, 32.
Irvine, Col. Wm., supersedes Broadhead, 53 ; Washington's correspondence with, 54-60. Jamestown, settlement of, 335. Village of, incorporated, 343.
Jemison, Mary, alias " White Woman," capture of, by Indians, 31.
Jesuits, early mission of, to America, 24.
Johnson, Sir Wm., journey of, to Detroit, 46.
Joncaire, Capt., Frenchman, interview with Gen. Washington, 30.
Judges Elial T. Foote and Thomas B. Campbell, retirement of, 648-50.
Kennedy, Dr. Thomas K., purchaser of tract in Poland, 77.
Kingsley, Edward B., a chopper and marksman in Arkwright, 224-5.
Land, gospel ; see gospel land, 108.
Lands, western, cession of, to general government, 64 ; dispute, concerning, between New York and Massachusetts, 64.
Lane, George, early visit of, to Chautauqua county, 107.
La Salle, the French explorer, 26.
La Fayette, in Chautauqua, 135-42 ; sketch of, 135-6; reception at Westfield, 136-8 ; reception at Fredonia, 139-42.
Leeks, food of early settlers, 88.
Lumber, manufacture of, at Jamestown and vicinity, 376-9.
Mack, John, ferry of, at Cattaraugus, 73.
Mail, first, from Ellicottville to Mayville, 256. Marquette and Joliet, French explorers of Mississippi country, 27. Massachusetts, sale of her lands to Phelps and Gorham, 64 -5.
1
671
INDEX.
Massachusetts and New York, conflicting claims of, for lands, in New York, 64; dispute concerning, how settled, 64.
McHenry, early settler at Westfield ; death of, by drowning, 74.
McMahan, John and James, purchases of, 73.
McIntyre, Alexander, first settler in Chautauqua, 77.
Mails and mail routes, 119-26.
Medical societies, 148-9. Chautauqua County Medical Society, 148; Eclectic Medical Society, 148-9.
Methodism, early introduction of, in the county, 107.
Missionaries, Rev. John Spencer, 106-7; Revs. John Lindsley, Phineas Camp, Asa Turner, and George Lane, 107-8.
Morris, Robert, purchase of lands by, from Mass., 65 ; sales to Holland Company, 66. Mound builders, 17.
Newspapers, list of, 194 ; Chautauqua Farmer, 634; Western New Yorker and Sherman News, 667.
Ohio Company, large land grant to, by Great Britain, 35.
Old settlers' festivals,-Reunion at Fredonia, 197-207. Cushing's address, 198-9. Offi- cers of the meeting, 199-200. Interesting proceedings, 200-7. Reunion at Forest- ville, 207-10. Reunion at Jamestown, 210-18. Judge Marvin's address, 211-13. Further proceedings, 213-18.
Phelps and Gorham's purchase, in Western New York, 64-5.
Pioneer life, reflections on, 99-101.
Political history ; early parties, federal and republican, 155-60. Alien and sedition laws, 158-9. Virginia and Kentucky resolutions, 159. Elections in Chautauqua county, 160-2. Parties in New York ; bucktails and Clintonians, 162-6. Antimasonic party, 166-9. American party, 169-71. Present parties, 171.
Portage road, history of, 37, 116-17 ; from Erie to La Boeuf, by Duquesne, 38. Post-offices, post routes, and postmasters, early, 120-4.
Prendergast families, settlement of, in Chautauqua, 77. Journey from Pittstown to Ten- nessee, and thence to Chautauqua, 264-6. Jediah and Martin, early merchants at Mayville and Jamestown, trade of, 92-3.
Railroads in Chautauqua, 150-55. New York and Erie, 150-52. Buffalo and Erie, and other roads, 153. Atlantic & Great Western, 153-4. Dunkirk, Allegany & Pitts- burgh, 154-5. Buffalo & Jamestown, 155.
Register, official, of county officers, legislative and judicial, 652.
Religious history, 104-9.
Roads, early, 116-19 ; old Portage road, 37, 116-17 ; from Pennsylvania to Chautauqua lake, 117-18; Mayville and Cattaraugus, 118-19.
Robert Morris, purchaser of Massachusetts lands in Western New York, 65-6; sells to Holland Land Company, 65-9.
Schools, early, description of, 102-4 ; school funds, 104-5.
Settlers, condition of ; causes of general depression, 128-9.
Smith, Walter, merchant of Fredonia and Dunkirk, sketch of, 309-12.
Sottle, Amos, early settler at Irving, 70-3.
Spencer, Rev. John, missionary, early labors of, 105-6. Spinsters, itinerant ; [see Household Manufactures, ] 89.
St. Clair, defeated by the Indians, and succeeded by Gen. Wayne, 61. State boundary line, between New York and Pennsylvania, 60.
Stores and trade, 91 ; early prices of goods, 92-4. Sugar, maple, price of, 94 ; loaf, or refined, 98.
Surgical operation, remarkable, in Charlotte, 252-3. Survey of boundary line between New York and Pennsylvania, 60, 61. Tammany Society, political, in New York, 162.
672
INDEX.
Temperance history, 142-6; drinking customs, 142-4 ; reform measures, 144-6 ; county society, organization of, 144; Washingtonians, 145; Sons of Temperance, Good Templars, 145.
Throop, Enos T., democratic candidate for governor, 168.
Thompson, Smith, national republican candidate for governor, 168.
Tiffany, Jehiel, encounter with bear, 84.
Trade, nature of, 97-8.
Treaties with Indians by the state of Pennsylvania, 61.
Turner, Rev. Asa, early missionary labors of, and death, 107.
Van Buren, Martin, democratic candidate for governor, 168.
War history-war of 1812, 172-81. Causes of the war, 172-3. Chautauqua militia dur- ing the war, 173-81. Battle of Black Rock, 175-7. Officers of companies, 178-9. Eaton's letter, 180. Civil War-its origin, 182. South Carolina secedes, 183. Hos- tilities commence, 184-5. Southern confederacy, 184. Patriotic meetings, 186-9. Seward's instructions to Dayton, 190. Suspension of habeas corpus, 191. Measures for prosecuting the war, 192-3. No. soldiers, 194.
War, French and Indian, causes of, 34 ; fall of Pittsburgh, 47 ; surrenders to the English, 48 ; Pontiac's war, 48.
Wars, Indian, conclusion, 61.
Washington, journey of, to French Creek, 45 ; built a fort at Pittsburgh, 45 ; fall of Pitts- burgh, 47.
Wayne, Gen. Anthony, his expedition and defeat of the Indians, 61.
Westfield, early settlement of, 73 ; later settlements in, 555-8 ; stores, mills, manufactories, etc., 589-91.
Williams, Richard, mail contractor, 122 ; Sophia, his wife, a heroine mail carrier, 122. Willson, William, first settler in Ellicott, 77.
Wolves, bounties paid for the destruction of, 81 ; great wolf hunt in Stockton, 82.
Worksburg, settlement of, 332.
OM
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.