Madison city directory, a city and business directory for 1866, Part 2
Author: Suckow, B. W., comp; Smith, John Y
Publication date: 1866
Publisher: Madison, Wis.
Number of Pages: 412
USA > Wisconsin > Dane County > Madison > Madison city directory, a city and business directory for 1866 > Part 2
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12
20
HISTORY OF MADISON.
used was 'brought from the bluff, on the north side of Lake Mendota, ou a flat boat or scow built for that pur- pose. Still the work went on as well as could be expect- ed, in view of the difficulties encountered, and the build. ing, though unfinished was in a condition to be used by the legislature in the winter of 1838 and 9. The build- ing was not completed until the winter of 1845 and 6, and in fact the basement was not finished off until after the admission of the State to the Union, which occurred in 1848. The total cost of the building up to 1848 was $50,000, of which the General Government gave $10,000, in two appropriations of $20,000 each, and the Territory $10,000.
As this building has now been almost entirely destroy- ed, a brief description of it may not be inappropriate. The old Capitol occupied the space included within the interior angles of the new structure. The ground plan was one hundred and four by fifty-four feet, laid out to the cardinal points, the longer dimension being from north to south. The building was two stories high, with a basement the full size of the structure. It was travers- ed above and below, from east to West, by a hall twenty- four feet wide. On the first floor were six rooms, occupi- ed by the Territorial officers, the U. S. District Court and the Public Library ; the Library was separated from the Executive Offices by a narrow hall running from the main hall to the south end of the building. On the se- cond floor were the halls of the Council and House of Rep- resentatives, the former on the south and the latter on the north side of the hall. West of these chambers were four rooms which were used for committee rooms or oc- cupied by Territorial officers.
The basement was not finished off until after the ad-
1
-
21
HISTORY OF MADISON.
mission of Wisconsin to the Union. As the business of the State increased, not only was the basement occupied, but rooms on the first and second floors were thrown to- gether, and some of the State Officers secured places of business in the city. Not to notice these changes in de- tail, it will suffice to mention the arrangement of the building, just before the completion of the first wing of the new Capitol. On the first floor was the State Library, in which the Supreme Court held its sessions; the Exec- utive office, consisting of two rooms, and the offices of Secretary of State and State Treasurer. On the second floor were the Senate and Assembly Halls. In the base- ment was the consultation room of the Judges of the Su. preme Court and the office of the Superintendent of Pub- lic Property.
The old capitol was, after its completion, a far more substantial structure and possessessed more architectural beauty than the present capitol of the older and more populous state of Indiana.
We will now resume the record of events in their chro- nological order. In September, 1837, Mr. JOHN STONER arrived with his family, being the third settler of Madison. During the same month divine services were held for the first time here by the Rev. Mr. STEBBINS, then Presiding Elder of the M. E. Church in the Northwest.
In the spring of 1838, SIMEON MILLS, A. A. BIRD, WMr. HI. WHEELER and others brought on their families and be- came permanent residents. During the summer of this year the City Hotel was built on the ground now occupied by the Vilas House, and during the same season the U. S. District Court held a session in its sitting room, Judge CHARLES DUNN presiding, and Judges FRAZIER and D.A. VID IRVIN associates. This building now stands on the
1 .
22
HISTORY OF MADISON.
southeast side of Clymer strect, between Wisconsin Ave- nue and Pinckney street.
On the 8th of November, 1838, the Wisconsin Enquirer, edited and published by J. A. NOONAN, first appeared.
The first white child born in Madison was WISCONSINIA PECK, born in the fall of 1837. The second was MADISON STONER, born in 1838.
The first physician of Madison was ALMON LULL, who came in 183S.
During the second winter the population was one hund- red. The Enquirer of May 29th, 1839, states that the village then contained two stores, three hotels, three gro- ceries, a steam mill and twenty-six other buildings, in all thirty-five. From the same source we learn that the prices of provisions were as follows, during the winter of 1838-9 : Corn $1.25, oats 75 ets., and potatoes $1.00 per bushel, butter 37 1-2 to 62 1-2 cts., and pork and beef 7 to 12 cts. per pound, and eggs 37 1-2 to 75 ets. per dozen.
-
The first celebration of the anniversary of the National Independence took place on the 1th of July, 1839. JOHN CATLIN was President, A. A. BinD and SIMEON MILLS, Vice-Presidents, and E. BRIGHAM, Marshal. The Declara- tion of Independence was read by GEO. P. DELAPLAINE, and an oration was delivered by WM. T. STERLING, Esq.
In 1846 the first Church edifice was erected in Madison by the Congregational Society, on Webster street, between Washington Avenue and Main street.
In the winter of 1847-S L. J. FARWELL began the im- provement of the water-power at the outlet of Lake Men- dota. By building a dam immediately at the outlet, by straightening the course of the Catfish, which was natu- rally very tortuous, and by removing adam which had been built some years before a short distance below the outlet
-=
23
HISTORY OF MADISON.
of Lake Monona, a head of between four and five feet was obtained, which, owing to the vast reservoir formed by Lake Mendota, afforded a power sufficient to drive six runs of stones of two feet diameter. The mill was not begun till the following season and did not go into opera- tion till the fall of 1850.
This year also the line of telegraph was completed to this point and A. C. INGHAM and B. F. HOPKINS were the first operators.
The year 1849 was marked by no great improvements. A number of private residences were put up, and work upon the Court House begun. This structure, which will compare favorably with any other county building in the State, was not completed till the latter part of 1850.
The most notable improvements during the year 1851 were the fine stone dwellings of L. B. VILAS and J. T. MARSTON. That of Judge VILAS was at that time esteem . ed the best private residence in the State.
In 1852 the prospective railroad connection with Mil- waukee began to tell upon the prosperity of Madison. The fine stone block on Pinckney street now occupied by the State Bank of Madison was erected by MARSHALL & ILLSLEY, and there was issued the first bank note under the general banking law of Wisconsin. SIMEON MILLS and JOHN CATLIN put up the large stone block on King street, known as MILL's block. The marshy traets north- east and southwest of the Capitol were drained and on the one northeast of the Capitol a large number of trees were set out by Gov. FARWELL. A joint stock hotel company was formed, and the foundation of the Capitol (now the Vilas) House was laid, and the first story creeted. Messrs. VILAS, FAIRCHILD and FARWELL bought it in this unfin-
.
24
HISTORY OF MADISON.
ished condition in the spring of 1853 and completed it the following fall.
In 1853 Col. J. C. FAIRCHILD built the stone block on the corner of Main and Pinckney streets, the Presbyterian and Baptist Societies built handsome and commodious church edifices, the Catholics laid the foundation of their Cathedral, and the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad Company began the construction of their depot buildings. At this time there were not more than half a dozen houses between the Court House and the depot grounds, and those grounds in common with the whole tract between the freight depot and the lake was covered with a dense thick- et of poplar and crab and plum trees.
The year 1854 was a memorable one in the history of ยท Madison. The railroad bridge across Lake Monona which had been begun the previous year was completed in the spring and in May the first train of cars came across, and on Tuesday the important event --- the connection of Mad- ison with Milwaukee by railroad-was celebrated. with great enthusiasm. The fact that three hundred and fifty private dwellings were put up this season will serve to show the effect of the railroad upon the prosperity of the place. Among the improvements of a public character we may mention the fire-proof County buildings which were erceted this year, and Bruen's block, corner of Wash- ington Avenue and Pinckney street.
In 1855 the Water Cure establishment on the south side of Lake Monona was erected. It was constructed so as to afford every facility for the most varied Hydropathic treatment, and it was hoped for this reason, as well as from the very great beauty and quietude of its location, that it would attract many patients. Either because of a want of faith in the system of Hydropathy or for some
HISTORY OF MADISON.
other reason, the institution met with no great success and has not for a long time been occupied as a Water Cure establishment.
A Gas Company was formed and gas works erected this season. The latter were located on the low ground N. E. of the Capitol. This enterprise in the hands of the company did not succeed as well as had been anticipated. The works were at length leased from the company by Hon. B. F. HOPKINS, of this city, under whose energetic and skillful management the gas was soon conducted through the whole city, and the enterprise became a deci- ded success. Three fine business blocks were put up, one by Mr. MAIN, one by Mr. MILLS, and a third by Mr. NOLDEN. Among other fine residences built this season, the most notable were those of Mr. KENDALL, Mr. JARVIS and Gov. L. J. FARWELL. The last named is the large octagonal building on the north shore of Lake Monona, since known as Harvey Hospital. Much attention was bestowed, this year, upon side walks, many miles of which were laid in different parts of the city.
In 1856 Madison obtained a City Charter, and Col. J. C. FAIRCHILD was elected the first Mayor, and the follow- ing named gentlemen were elected the first Board of Al- dermen :
1st Ward .- P. H. VAN BERGEN, THOMAS HIERON and A. E. BROOKS. 2d Ward .- N. B. VAN SLYKE, D. J. POWERS and JOHN N. JONES. 3d Wurd .- C. G. MAYERA, ADAM KRANTZ and A. S. WOOD.
4th Ward .- S. M. VAN BERGEN, JOS. HOBBINS and TIMOTHY KINNEY.
WILLIAM N. SEYMOUR was elected the first Clerk.
The City Hall, on the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Mifflin street, was built in 1857 and 1858, at an exi pense of $28,000.
During the year 1856, the stone block of Messrs. Fox and Arwoon was e:ceted on the corner of Main and Car-
B
26
HISTORY OF MADISON.
roll streets, now known as YOUNG's Block ; P. H. VAN BERGEN'S Block, corner of Clymer and Pinckney streets ; R. S. BACON's Block, corner of Pinckney and Mifflin streets ; BILLINGS & CARMAN'S Plough Factory, Engine Houses, and several fine residences.
In 1857, the Episcopal Church edifice, on the corner of Washington Avenue and Carroll street was commenced. The German Catholic Church, on Johnson street, between Carroll and Henry, and the German Evangelical Lutheran Church, on Main street, between Broome and Bassett streets, were erected.
For several years subsequent to 1857, but little was done in the way of public or business buildings. In 1858 the Railroad Company erected their new Depot and Hotel. In 1860, DUNNING's and GILMAN'S Blocks were erected.
In 1862, KLAUBER and FAIRCHILD's Block and BEMIS & BOUDLER'S Market, on Pinckney, between Main and Cly- mer streets, DEANS' Block, corner of King and Pinckney streets, and Orr's and KLAUBER'S Blocks on Pinckney street, were erected. The Norwegian Evangelical Luther- an Church, on the corner of Hamilton and Butler streets, was also erected this year.
In 1863, MILLER's Block, corner of Carroll and Hamil- ton streets, GROVES' rectifying establishment, on Webster street, and Turner's Hall, were built.
In 1864, SULLIVAN'S Block, on Carroll street, FAIR. CHILD'S, on Main, between Wisconsin Avenue and Pinek- ney street, were built. The N. W. Railroad was com- pleted to Madison, and Harvey Hospital was established in the mansion erected by Gov. FARWELL, and large ad- ditions made to the building. The German Episcopal
1
.
27
HISTORY OF MADISON.
Methodist Church was built this year, on the corner of Mifilin and Webster streets.
In 1865, KOHNER'S beautiful block, on Main street, near Pinckney, was built, and Harvey Hospital was se- cured as an asylum for children of deceased soldiers. This year also was built "Immanuel's Church," by the German Evangelical Society, on the corner of Pinckney and Hamilton streets. Late in the fall of this year the first NICHOLSON pavement was laid, on Main street, on the south-east side of the Park.
The following is the population of the town at the sev- eral periods named : ,
1837
111851 .2306
1:33.
.62|1852
2073
1940
106:1853 .4099
1542
172
1554. 5126
1844
216
1555, (not reliable) . So55
1546
283
1860, U. S. Census, .6611
1817
.632
1805, State Census, 9191
1550.
1672|
Probably the census of 1865 embraces many persons not permanent residents.
SHIPMENTS OF PRODUCE AND MERCHANDIZE FROM MADISON DURING THE YEAR 1865.
By the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien Road.
EASTWARD.
Wheat, bushels,
119,995 | Merchandize, Ibs. =20,976
Barley,
..
Machinery,
Oats,
1,178
Agricu. Imp. 70,760
Potatoes,
76 Horses,
.97 Cattle, .. 63 Beans,
Grass Seed, "
.90
Sheep. :
Flour Barrels,
263 Hogs, . .257
Dressed Hogs,
37, 270; Lumber, fect,
Butter, lbs.
2,900 Stone, tous. .
Tallow,
.26,270 Brick, thousands,
3
Wool,
.2,970 Empty Barrels,. 4%
Hides, 123,470 | Miscellaneous, lbs .216,=5)
28
HISTORY OF MADISON.
..
1
WESTWARD.
Flour, barrels,
1,392 |Horses,
.665
Salt,
Sheep, 145
1,241
High wines,
140
Lumber, feet, 66,192
Merchandize, Ibs.
4,992,095
Shingles, . .31,000
Machinery,
.2,194,470
Staves and Heading, 40,520
Agricult. Imp. " 2,050,000
Stoves, tons .. 30
Coal, - tons,
219
Miscellaneous, lbs. 1,067,390
Pig Iron,
By the North- Western Road.
By this road, which at present terminates at Madison, the total freight in pounds received during the year 1865 was 12,626,550. Forwarded, 22,297,120.
Local charges on both
.11,458 60
For local passengers,
1,295 00
On Coupons,
Tatal receipts,
$118,207 00
MANUFACTURING.
The manufacturing interests of Madison are, as yet, not very extensive ; the cost of motive power having operat- ed to discourage enterprises in this line. In addition to the flouring mill built by Gov. FARWELL, as already men- tioned, there is a steam flouring mill at the foot of East Canal street, built by Mr. F. BRIGGS, in - in connec- tion with a distillery, and now owned by Messrs. MAN. NING & MERRELL. It has one run of stones and employs 6 hands.
Attached to the FARWELL mills, before mentioned, and now owned by Mr. BRIGGS, is a woolen factory driven by the water power, and recently put in operation. It contains the best modern machinery, employs from 16 to 20 hands and turns out 125 yards of woolen goods per day. This wat- er power, it is thonght, is still not more than half employ- ed. Its capacity has never been fully tested and has prob- ably been under rated, from the size of the stream which
Water lime, "
. 17 | Lead, tons. .4
.11
$100,518 40
20
HISTORY OF MADISON.
flows through the Lakes. By the immense reservoir afford- ed by the Lake, large quantities of freshet water is stored up for after use, and thus the power must be increased far be- yond that which would be afforded by the natural flow of the stream. The first iron foundry was built on the corner of State and Gorham streets, by W. SKINNER, in 1851. It was sold by Mr. SKINNER, in 1839, to Mr. W. S. HUN. TINGTON, and by him sold to the present owners, N. L. ANDREWS & Co., in 1864. The firm manufactures cast- ings and machinery, and employs from ten to fifteen hands.
The foundry of E. W. SKINNER & Co. is located on the shore of Lake Mendota, near the University grounds. The original building was erected for a steam saw mill in 1853, by DANIEL GORHAM. The mill was bought by I. E. BROWN in 1856, and changed to a foundry. It was pur- chased by P. II. TURNER in 1859, and by him sold to E. W. SKINNER in 1860. In 1864 O. S. WILLEY became a partner, and in December, 1865, the name of Hon. S. D. HASTINGS was added to the firm. The business of the establishment was at first directed chiefly to the manufac- ture of reapers and grain drills, and in May or June of 1862, the first car load of reapers was shipped out of Madison. It has passed from the manufacture of reapers and grain drills to the manufacture of sugar mills. Du- ring the past two years it has kept a force of fifty men em- ployed, besides canvassers all through the Northwest Sugar mills are shipped from this establishment to all the castern and middle. States. The revenue tax on their manufactures amounts to about $600 per month. As an indication of the growth of the sugar mill business and the great extension of the Sorguin culture, it is interest- ing to note that this establishment built in 1861, one mill ;
1
30
HISTORY OF MADISON.
in 1862, 11; in 1863, 100; in 1864, 250, and in 1865 up- wards of 500. It is believed that these mills will be found as useful in the manufacture of cane sugar as in the man- ufacture of Sorgum, and this company propose to extend their trade to the sugar-growing regions of the South, and we doubt not they will receive a rich reward for their en- terprise. Indeed, if the North would turn its attention to the manufacture of sugar mills and the like, for the South, and let the South raise our sugar, we should, with less la- bor, get a much better article of sweetening than the mis- erable pumpkin molasses which we manage to extort from the bastard cane called Sorgum. In the line of sugar, the sun of the South will do for us, gratuitously, what no amount of labor can ever accomplish in the North.
The "Capital Iron Works " are located at the corner of Wilson and Ingersoll streets and owned by J. E. BAKER, who commenced operations in 1865. The establishment is devoted to the manufacture of agricultural implements and repairing all kinds of machinery-and employs ten bands.
The first planing mill was built by HENRY C. PARKER, on the corner of Wilson and Blair streets, in 1852.
In 1856 a planing mill and sash and door factory was built by JAMES CAMPBELL, on Washington Avenue, be- tween the Capitol and the R. R. Depot. 'It is now owned by ASA BURGES, and employs ten hands. The foregoing comprise the principal manufacturing establishments in which machinery is employed.
The most extensive establishments for the manufacture of cabinet ware are those of Mr. DARWIN CLARK, the old- est, FISHER & REYNOLDS, and J. M. HAIGHT, successor of CHURCH & HAWLEY. The last named establishment at one time, when carried on by CHURCH & HAWLEY, did the
31
1
HISTORY OF MADISON.
largest business, employing steam power upon some parts of their work.
It is believed that when the vast beds of Peat which lie in the vicinity of Madison come to be worked and the prodnet brought into market, it will so cheapen fuel as to . give a new impulse to the manufacturing interests of the town.
WISCONSIN STATE AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY.
The Wisconsin State Agricultural Society was organ- ized at Madison, on the 12th of March, 1851, since which time it has continued in the active discharge of its impor- tant functions, as the guardian of the industrial interests of the State. Its Annual Exhibitions and published vol- umes have awakened an interest in agricultural improve- ment, diffused a large amount of valuable information among the people, stimulated all branches of industry to the attainment of a higher degree of excellence, and thus largely contributed to the progress of the State; while, at the same time, it has served to give our young common- wealth a creditable industrial position among the States of the Union.
EXHIBITIONS.
Since its organization it has hield eleven General Exhi- bitions, awarded and paid scarcely less than $30,000 in pre- miums, destributed, large quantities of valuable seeds and cuttings, collected a valuable library, and published six highly creditable volumes of Transactions, hundreds of copies of which have been distributed in other States and in foreign lands. The following is an exhibit of the place and date of its Fairs, the number of entries and the amount of receipts and expenditures for the several years since 1850.
.
1
32
HISTORY OF MADISON.
1651-October 1st and 2d, at Janesville.
Number of entries, ... 461
Receipts for the year, $570 00
Expenditures,. 464 SC
1852-October 6th, 7th, and 8th, at Milwaukee.
. Number of entrles, .1329
Receipts for the year, (8500 from the State,). 82,74S 45
Expenditures, 2,714 63
1853-October 4th, 5th, Gth and 7th, at Watertown.
Number of entries, .. 717
Receipts for the year, ($1000 from the State). $2,423 37
Expenditures, 2,542 17
1854 -- October 4th, 5th, and Cth, at Milwaukee.
Number of entries, .1068
Receipts for the year, ($3000 from the Stute,). $5,688 00
Expenditures, 5,571 73
1655-October 3d, 4th and 5th, at Milwaukee.
Number of entries, 1231
Receipts for the year, ($3000 from the State, ). $7,542 95
Expenditures, 6,413 99
1856-October Sth, 9th and 10th, at Milwaukee.
Number of entries, 1778
Receipts for the year, ($3000 from the State,). 85,079 63
Expenditures, 7,411 (1 1857-September 25th, 20th, 80th aud October 1st, at Janesville.
Number of entries, ... 1669
Receipts for the year, ($5000 from the State, ). $8,804 68
Expenditures, 8,302 10
185S-October 4th to Sth, at Madison.
Number of entries .2119
Receipts for the year, ($5000 from the State, ). $11,795 90
Expenditures, 10.035 40
1859-September 26th to 30th, at Milwaukee. 1640
Number of entries,
Receipts for the year, (3000 from the State, ). 811,637 07
Expenditures, 10,757 26
1860-September 25th to 20th at Madison. .2008
Number of entries, ..
Receipts for the year, ($3000) from the State,). $13,737 $1 Expenditures, 13,736 84
In 1861, on the breaking out of the War of the Re- bellion, the Society patriotically tendered its expensively and handsomely fitted grounds at Madison (since known as Camp Randall) to the State, for its use as a military encampment, and, as a consequence; during the continu- ance of the war, until 1864, was unable to resume the holding of its annual exhibitions.
1
HISTORY OF MADISON. 33
1504-September 25th to 30th, at Janesville. .1877
Number of entries, ..
Receipts for the year, (nothing from the State,). $7,759 19
Expenditures, 5,557 35
1505-September 25th to 30th, at Janesville. .1785
Number of entries,
$11,404 90 Receipts for the year, (nothing from the State,).
Expenditures,
8,830 52
At these several Exhibitions addresses were delivered in the order of occurrence, by JOHN H. LATIIROP, LL. D., Hon. LEVI HUBBELL, Gen. W.M. R. SMITH, Hon. E. WV. EDGERTON, Pres't, Hon. HARLOW S. ORTON, IIon. A. C. BARRY, Prof. J. B. TURNER, of Illinois, Ilon. CASSIUS M. CLAY, of Kentucky, Hon. ABRAHAM LINCOLN, of II-' linois, Gov. A. W. RANDALL, Ex-Gov. JOSEPH A. WRIGHT, of Indiana, and by Hon. J. R. DOOLITTLE, Hon. TIM. O. HOWE, Gov. J. T. LEWIS, Ex-Gov. RANDALL and Major General W. T. SHERMAN.
In 1862, in view of the fact that the Society was una- ble to hold its accustomed Exhibitions, the standing ap- propriation of $3,000 per annum from the State was with- drawn; so that now the Society is compelled to rely on its own resources. It is steadily growing in popularity, however, and there is scarcely room for doubt, that the State will acknowledge the importance of the interests it so ably represents by reinstating the appropriation ; thus placing it in the power of the Society to extend its labors and increase its usefulness.
THE LEADING OFFICERS OF THE SOCIETY
Since its organization have been as follows:
Presidents-Hon. E. W. DRURY, Fond du Lac; IIon. HENRY M. BILLINGS, Highland ; Hon. E. W. EDGERTON, Summit; HARVEY DURKEE, Esq., Kenosha; Hon. J. F. WILLARD, Janesville; Col. B. R. HINKLEY, Summit ; . and Hon. DAVID WILLIAMS, Springfield. .
Secretaries -- A. C. INGHAM and ROYAL BUCK, A. C.
.
34
HISTORY OF MADISON.
INGHAM, GEO. TIFFANY, Hon. D. J. POWERS, Dr. J. W. HOYT, all of Madison.
Treasurers-Hon. CHAUNCY ABBOTT, Hon. SIMEON MILLS, SAMUEL MARSHALL, Esq., Hon. D. J. POWERS, and Hon. DAVID ATWOOD, all of Madison.
THE OFFICE OF THE SOCIETY,
Known as the "State Agricultural Rooms," is, at present in Porter's Block, but will be removed in April, 1866, to the State Capitol ; the north side of the west wing having just been assigned to it by the Legislature. It is the de- sign of the Society when thus established in these more spacious apartments to zealously carry forward the work of forming a valuable collection of the ores, building stones, timbers, plants, agricultural products, &c., &c., of Wisconsin; thus illustrating, in an interesting and very instruetive manner, the resources and industrial progress of the State.
STATE UNIVERSITY.
. This institution is indebted for its endowment to the munificence of the General Government, which granted in trust for University purposes to the State of Wisconsin, seventy-two sections, or 46,080 acres of land. The State accepted the trust and embodied in its constitution the following clause :
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.