Madison city directory, a city and business directory for 1866, Part 5

Author: Suckow, B. W., comp; Smith, John Y
Publication date: 1866
Publisher: Madison, Wis.
Number of Pages: 412


USA > Wisconsin > Dane County > Madison > Madison city directory, a city and business directory for 1866 > Part 5


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12


"October 9, 1848, the office was purchased by DAVID ATWOOD and ROYAL BUCK, and the publication of the Express was at once resumed, under the title of Wisconsin Express instead of Madison Express, under the manage- ment of ATWOOD & BUCK. During the short time then previous to the general election of that year, but a five column paper was issued, which was sent for four weeks to all the old subscribers of the Express, and to many oth- ers, free of charge. It was intended only as a campaign sheet, and warmly urged the election of ZACHARY TY- LOR and MILLARD FILLMORE to the Presidency and Vice Presidency of the United States.


" November 16, 1848, the Express appeared in its full size (seven column weekly), printed on entirely new type. The publication was regularly continued without change till July 2, 1850, when ALVIN E. BOVAY became associ- ated with ATWOOD & BUCK in its publication, but he only remained in the establishment four weeks, when ATWOOD & BUCK again resumed full control. During the session of the Legislature, in 1852, the Express was issued daily as well as weekly.


"June 1, 1852, the Express office was consolidated with that of the Wisconsin Statesman, and the names of both of


64


HISTORY OF MADISON.


the old papers were dropped, and the consolidated paper appeared under the title of the Wisconsin State Palladium. For further particulars see history of the Palladium.


THE WISCONSIN DEMOCRAT.


"This was the title of the third paper established in Madison. It was a six column weekly. The first num- ber was issued on the 18th day of October, 1842. J. GILLETT KNAPP and JOHN DELANEY editors and propri- tors. It was a radical democratic states rights paper.


" February 9, 1843, JOHN P. SHELDON and GEO. HYER succeeded Messrs. KNAPP & DELANEY in its publication, and the paper was continued without further change till March 14, 1844, when it was suspended. The printing material was afterwards purchased and used for printing the Argus.


THE WISCONSIN ARGUS.


" The first number of this paper was issued in Madison, on the 22d day of April, 1844-S. MILLS & Co., Proprie- tors. The members of the firm were SIMEON MILLS, JOHN Y. SMITH, and BENJAMIN HOLT. Mr. SMITH had the entire control of the editorial department of the pa- per. It was a neatly printed six column weekly, edited with ability, and bore at its mast head the names of POLK and DALLAS. In its democracy, at this time, it was em- phatically in favor of free trade, a hard money eurren- cy, &c.


" December 22, 1846, HI. A. TENNEY, Esq., who had been connected with the Jeffersonian, at Galena, Illinois, purchased an interest in the Argus establishment, and be- came a joint editor with Mr. SMITH-S. MILLS & Co. con- tinuing as publishers.


65


HISTORY OF MADISON.


"February 15, 1847. the Argus was enlarged to a seven column paper, and at this time the name of Mr. MILLS disappeared, and the name of the publishing firm was TENNEY, SMITHI & HOLT. During the second Constitu- ional Convention, in 1847-8, and the last territorial session of the Legislature, in 1848, the Argus was issued tri-weekly as well as weekly.


"'August 21, 1849, DAVID T. DICKSON purchased an interest in the establishment, and the firm name was changed to TENNEY, SMITH, HOLT & Co. This arrange- ment continued till the spring of 1851. In April of that year, Messrs. SMITH, HOLT and DICKSON disposed of their interest in the Argus to Messrs. S. D. CARPENTER and II. A. TENNEY, who became joint editors and proprietors of the paper.


" For several years, the Argus had been the leading pa- per in the State, of that branch of the Democratic party, familiarly called " Old Hunkers," the Democrat at Madi- son, leading the other branch, known as "Tadpoles." The Argus was a lively and ably conducted paper. It carried its party through many hard fought political con- tests, with marked ability and success. The division of the Democratic party above alluded to, was occasioned by a difference of opinion respecting several of the provisions of the first Constitution, and the discussion during the canvass for and against the adoption of that instrument. The Argus and its followers, the "hunkers," opposed its adoption, aided by a large portion of the old whig party ; and the "Tadpoles" supported it. The division thus created, was continued within the ranks of the party, for several years, but not so strong as to lose the power in the State-except in a single term of Governor (FARWELL)- until after the organization of the Republican party.


66


HISTORY OF MADISON.


THE ARGUS AND DEMOCRAT CONSOLIDATED.


"June 15, 1852, Mr. TENNEY retired from the establish- ment, and the two Democratic papers of Madison-the Argus and the Democrat, were merged in one, and BERIAH BROWN and S. D. CARPENTER became joint editors and proprietors of the consolidated paper, which retained the names of both of the old ones, and appeared as the Argus and Democrat. A daily was permanently established at this time. It was a five column sheet, neatly printed. The Argus was issued daily during the previous session of Legislature.


" April 7, 1853, Mr. CARPENTER retired from the estab- lishment leaving the sole management with BERIAH BROWN.


"July 24, 1854, the daily was enlarged to a six column paper, and Mr. ELIAS A. CALKINS became associated with Mr. BROWN in the editorial management of the Argus and Democrat.


" April 30, 1855, Mr. BROWN disposed of the estab- lishment, and E. A. CALKINS and JAMES K. PROUDFIT became the editors and proprietors.


" January 2, 1856. The daily was enlarged to a seven column sheet.


"January 2, 1857. The daily was enlarged to an eight column sheet.


" May 12, 1857. Mr. PROUDFIT disposed of his inter- est to Mr. GEO. WEBB, and the paper was continued by CALKINS & WEBB.


" November 20, 1857. The daily was reduced in size to a seven column sheet.


" January 3, 1859. BERIAN BROWN again became con- nected with the paper; the publishing firm was changed


67


HISTORY OF MADISON.


to GEO. WEBB & Co., and BROWN and CALKINS were the editors.


" April 6, 1859. Mr. BROWN again retired from the paper and CALKINS and WEBB assumed full control.


"June 16, 1859. All names of editors or publishers disappeared, and the paper seemed to run itself.


"In the summer of 1859, the Argus and Democrat was discontinued, and the printing materials of the office were purchased by the Patriot and State Journal offices.


REVIVAL OF THE ARGUS AND DEMOCRAT.


" April 2, 1860, Messrs. E. A. CALKINS and M. CULLA- TON bought a new office, and ostensibly revived the pub- lication of the Argus and Democrat. A daily and weekly were established. The daily was a six column sheet. The name of the firm was E. A. CALKINS & Co.


" December 6. 1860, daily enlarged to a seven column sheet.


" Early in 1861, Mr. CALKINS sold out his interest to JOHN Y. SMITH, and SMITH and CULLATON continued the publication. At this time Mr. H. K. SMITHI became an associate editor. Up to this time the paper had been Democratic in politics. Mr. SMITH devoted his energies to the currency question mainly, rather leaning towards the Republican organization generally, and warmly sup- porting the war policy of the Government.


" October 23, 1861. The daily was reduced in size to a six column paper.


"January 4, 1862. The daily was discontinued. The weekly was continued till June 10, 1862, when it went out without announcing its own demise. The revived Argus and Democrat had an existence, not marked with very brilliant success pecuniarily, though it was a spirited pa-


68


. HISTORY OF MADISON.


per, of two years and three weeks. The material of the office was rented to Messrs. ROBERTS & Co., a few months, on which they executed the State Printing till the follow- ing January. Afterwards the large Power Press was sold to the State Journal Office, and the balance of the material to Messrs. W. J. PARK & Co., who had become the State Printers.


WISCONSIN DEMOCRAT.


"This paper was established January 11, 1846, by BE- RIAH BROWN, editor and publisher. It commeneed as a six column paper, Democratic in politics, and was pub- lished weekly.


"January 16, 1847, the Democrat was enlarged to a sev- en column sheet. It was subsequently reduced to a five column paper, then increased to six columns, and was consolidated with the Argus, June 15, 1852. The new paper took the name of Argus and Democrat, by BROWN & CARPENTER. The Democrat was published daily during the sessions of 1851-2.


"The paper was a radical Democratic sheet, evineing at times marked ability. Mr. BROWN was the leading editor of what was called the "Tadpole " branch of his party, during its existence.


WISCONSIN STATESMAN.


" The first number of this paper appeared in Madison, on the first day of August, 1850 -- W. W. WYMAN & SONS (W. II. and A. U. WYMAN) publishers. It was an eight column weekly, well printed-Whig in politics. It be- longed to what was known as the Silver Gray branch of the Whig party. For a time WILLIAM WELCH, Esq., was connected with the editorial management of the Statesman.


69


HISTORY OF MADISON.


" In the winter of 1852, WM. A. BUGH became con- nected with the Statesman, and it was under the charge of WYMAN & BUGH, until June 1, 1852, when the office was consolidated with that of the Wisconsin Express. The re- sult of the consolidation was the establishment of the Wisconsin State Palladium. The Statesman was published daily during the legislative session of 1852.


WISCONSIN STATE PALLADIUM.


" This paper was established on the first of June, 1852, ATWOOD, WYMANS and BUCK, editors and proprietors. A daily and weekly edition was at onee issued from the office. The daily was a neat five column sheet, and the weekly was a large eight column paper. The subscription list to the weekly, including those of two old papers, was quite large; but as the business was done almost wholly upon the credit system, the profits were small. The Pal- ladium was really the continuance of two papers-the Express and the Statesman. At this time, those two offices were consolidated, the names of both the old papers dropped, and the Wisconsin State Palladium adopted as the name of the new issue. The new firm did not work harmoniously, and the daily and weekly Palladium only had a brief existence of eleven weeks, when its publica- tion was suspended, and the material of the office soon passed into different hands, forming parts of several print- ing offices.


WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL.


" This paper was established at Madison, by DAVID AT- woon, in September, 1852. The first number of the daily bears date September 30, 1852, and was a five column paper. It might very properly be considered as the con-


70


HISTORY OF MADISON.


tinuation of the Express, Statesman and the Palladium, as it was the successor of those papers, and by one of the publishers of them. The office was entirely new, the type, presses and all the fixtures having been purchased expressly for the establishment of the State Journal. It commenced its career as a Whig paper ; but on the re-or- ganization of parties, became an advocate of the princi- ples and measures of the Republican party.


" May 1, 1853, Mr. HORACE RUBLEE became connected with the Journal as an associate editor.


" May 1, 1854, Mr. RUBLEE purchased an interest in the office and became equally interested in the publication and editorial management of the paper, with Mr. ATWOOD. At this time the daily was enlarged to a six column sheet.


" May 1, 1855, Mr. GEORGE GARY became associated with Messrs. ATWOOD & RUBLEE in the management of the Journal.


"February 1, 1856, Mr. GARY retired from the office, leaving the entire management with Messrs. ATWOOD & RUBLEE again. About this time a tri-weekly edition was commenced, in addition to the daily and weekly editions.


"June 1, 1857, the daily and tri-weekly papers were enlarged to seven columns to the page of each.


"May 1, 1859, Mr. HARRISON REED became connected with the paper, and it was published by ATwood, RUB- LEE & REED.


September 7, 1859. The weekly Journal was enlarged to a nine column sheet.


" May 1, 1861. Mr. REED retired from the office, leav- ing Messrs. ATWOOD & RUBLEE again in full control. No other change has taken place in the proprietorship of the Journal, and ATWOOD & RUBLEE continue as its editors


1


71


HISTORY OF MADISON.


and publishers, assisted at this time, in the editorial de- partment, by HARLAN M. PAGE. At different times there have been connected with the Journal, as local or associ- ate editors, Messrs. A. J. TURNER, now of the Portage Register, L. J. BATES, now of Michigan, II. K. SMITH, and JAMES ROSS.


" In September, 1863, the form of the weekly Journal was changed to an eight page paper, each page containing six columns or forty-eight columns in all.


WISCONSIN PATRIOT.


" The first number of this paper was issued in Madison, on the 17th day of June, 1854. J. T. MARSTON and II. A. TENNEY editors and proprietors. It was a neatly printed seven column weekly, and supported the regular Democ- racy with force and ability.


" October 14, 1854, Mr. TENNEY disposed of his inter- est to S. D. CARPENTER ; and shortly after Mr. MARSTON also disposed of his interest, and withdrew from the es. tablishment.


" November 1, 1854, the daily Patriot a five column paper, was established by Messrs. CARPENTER & Co.


" November 20, 1854, S. D. CARPENTER was announc- ed as political editor, and S. II. CARPENTER as local editor and publisher.


" February 12, 1855, the daily was enlarged to a six column paper.


"July 17, 1855, S. D. and S. H. CARPENTER were an- nounced as joint editors-S. II. CARPENTER continuing as publisher.


"January 29, 1856, S. D. and S. II. CARPENTER were announced as joint editors and publishers.


"July 28, 1856, the daily was enlarged to a seven col-


72


HISTORY OF MADISON.


umn paper, and S. H. CARPENTER retired from the estab- lishment, having disposed of his interest to ROLLA A. LAW, Esq. S. D. CARPENTER and R. A. LAW were an- nounced as editors, and ROLLA A. LAW as publisher.


" August 2, 1856, the weekly Patriot was enlarged to an eight column paper.


"September 29, 1856, the daily Patriot was enlarged to an eight column paper.


"July 2, 1857, R. A. LAW retired from the office, leaving S. D. CARPENTER sole editor and proprietor.


" August 24, 1857, Mr. JOHN T. MARTIN became a joint publisher with CARPENTER, the name of the firm being . CARPENTER & MARTIN.


"December 1, 1857, the daily was reduced to a six col- umn paper.


" April 16, 1858, Mr. MARTIN withdrew from the es- tablishment, Mr. CARPENTER leasing the office for two years. About this time the name of JAMES Ross appear- cd as the local editor.


" April 4, 1859, Mr. GEORGE HIYER purchased an interest in the office, and the paper was continued by CARPENTER & HYER as joint publishers. About this time BERIAH BROWN became associated with the Patriot as editor but continued in this connection only a few months, when he retired from the position, leaving CARPENTER & HYER in full control. The paper continued in the same hands without change-except that S. D. CARPENTER withdrew from the editorial department of the paper during the po- litical campaign of 1861-leaving Mr. HYER sole editor, till the spring of 1864, April, I think, when the partner- ship of CARPENTER & HIYER was dissolved, and the office was leased to PETER STOUT, J. B. HIYER and W. W. BIRD, who continued the publication of the daily and weekly


.


1


ยท


73


HISTORY OF MADISON.


Patriot. In the mean time, the weekly had been changed to an eight page paper, and the daily had been reduced in size to a six column sheet. Soon after the new arrange- ment, A. B. BRALEY, Esq., assumed the editorial manage- ment of the Patriot and continued in this position till the close of the presidential campaign of 1864. The Patriot gave a vigorous support to Gen. MCCLELLAN for the Presidency. At the close of the campaign, Mr. B. with- drew from the editorial charge of the paper.


"November 14, the publication of the Patriot was sus. pended.


THE WISCONSIN CAPITOL.


" This paper was established in Madison, and the first number of the Daily Capitol made its appearance on the 17th day of April, 1865-E. A. CALKINS, editor, and W. J. PARK & Co., publishers. A daily and weckly paper is issued from the office. The daily is a seven column sheet, and the weekly an eight column paper. It has not become identified with any political party as yet.


THE WISCONSIN DEMOCRAT.


A paper bearing the above title was established in Mad- ison, on the 11th day of October, 1865, by GEO. HYER and D. W. FERNANDEZ, under the'firm of HIYER & FER- NANDEZ. It is published daily and weekly-the former being a six column and the latter an eight column paper. It is democratic in politics.


WISCONSIN JOURNAL OF EDUCATION.


"In January, 1858, this monthly publication was re- moved from Racine, where it had been issued for about six years, to Madison. It contained forty pages of matter,


E


74


HISTORY OF MADISON.


devoted wholly to the cause of education; was neatly printed, and proved a valuable periodical to teachers and all others connected with the education of children. It was ostensibly published under the direction of the Wis- consin Teachers' Association, but really by Mr. A. J. CRAIG, who had the whole management of the Journal, both as editor and publisher.


"June, 1860, Mr. CRAIG withdrew from the conduct of the Journal, and was succeeded by Rev. J. B. PRADT, by whom the publication was continued until July, 1865.


THE WISCONSIN FARMER.


" Early in the year 1855, Messrs. MARK MILLER and S. P. LATHROP, who had been publishing for some years the Wisconsin and Iowa Farmer and Northwestern Cultivator, at Janesville, removed the office of that monthly to Madi- son, where they continued the publication till about the close of the year 1855, when Messrs. D. J. POWERS and E. W. SKINNER purchased the interest of Mr. MILLER. It was enlarged in January, 1856, and the words "and Iowa" dropped from the title. It contained forty-eight pages of closely printed matter in each number, devoted to Agriculture, Horticulture, Mechanic Arts and Educa- tion. It was edited with spirit and ability, and obtained in 1857 a circulation of 10,000 copies. In January, 1857, Dr. J. W. HOYT became connected with the editorial man- agement of the Farmer. During the year 1857 the Far- mer was published by Messrs. POWERS & SKINNER, assist- ed in the editorial department by Dr. HOYT.


"January 1, 1858, Mr. SKINNER retired from the Fur- mer, and Messrs. POWERS & HOYT became joint editors and publishers. This arrangement continued through the years 1858 and 1859. At the commencement of the year


75


HISTORY OF MADISON.


1860 the publishing firm was D. J. POWERS & Co., Dr. HOYT remaining in the editorial department. (The com. pany, at this time, was Messrs. ATWOOD & RUBLEE, of the Stale Journal.)


" In February, 1861, D. J. POWERS & Co. disposed of all interest in the Farmer, and the publishing firm became J. W. HOYT & Co., being J. W. HOYT and ALBERT WOOD. This arrangement continued through the year 1861, when Mr. Woon disposed of all interest in the Farmer, and Messrs. HOYT & CAMPBELL became the publishers, (J. W. Hovr and C. M. CAMPBELL.)


" In the January number, for 1865, a slight change is indicated, Mr. Horr is announced as editor and C. M. CAMPBELL as publisher, and this arrangement continuedl until the death of Mr. CAMPBELL, in November, 1865, when C. II. ALLEN assumed the place of publisher, with Dr. Horr as editor. The Farmer has experienced sever- al changes of proprietorship, and has probably never yield- ed a large profit to any one connected with it, but it has always been an able and interesting agricultural publica- tion, well adapted to the wants of the great West. Mrs. J. W. HoyT has aided materially in the editorial manage ment of the Farmer for several years. Many gracefully written articles from her pen have appeared in it from time to time.


"DE NORKES VEN."-THE NORTHIMAN'S FRIEND. 1


" The first paper established in Dane County, printed in a foreign language, was one bearing the above title, in the Norwegian language, by OLE TORGERSON. The first - number appeared in July, 1850. It was neatly printed, and edited with care and ability. In politics it was Whig. The support was limited, and after a few months it was


.


.


76


HISTORY OF MADISON.


discontinued for want of sufficient encouragement. This was the second paper in the Norwegian language estab- . Jished in the State.


"DER NORSKE AMERIKANER."-THE NORWEGIAN AMER- ICAN.


" This paper was established in Madison, in December, 1854, by ELIAS STANGELAND, Esq., and was continued to be published by bim till May, 1857, when it was discon- tinued. It was Democratie in politics, and was edited with spirit and ability. Its circulation was small and the office did not pay expenses.


"NORDSTREREN." -- THE NORTH STAR.


" This paper was started in Madison on the first of June, 1857, by the " Scandinavian Democratie Press As- sociation," and was continned till December of the same year, when it was suspended, until the fall of 185S. The establishment was rented in August, 1858, to H. BOR- SCHENIU'S, Esq., who revived the publication of the paper and continued it for a year or two, when it was discontin- ued. It was a Democratic paper, and hal a fair circula- tion.


THIE EMIGRANTEN.


" This paper was established at Inmansville, Rock County, in 1852, by the "Scandinavian Press Associa- tion." It was at first Democratie in polities, but subse- quently became a strong Republican paper. In the fall of 1857, the Emigranten office was removed to Madison, where the paper has been published ever since. For sev- eral years past it has been under the exclusive charge of C. F. SOLBERG, Esq. It has a large circulation and is an ably edited paper.


77


HISTORY OF MADISON.


" Besides these papers, there have been one or two re- ligious periodicals published in Madison in the Norwegian language, but I have no particulars in regard to them.


"Of the German press at Madison, I have been enable to obtain but little information, and that of a very general character. There was the Staats Zietung, Democratic, by AUGUST KRUER, which was published a year or two. Mr. K. was an accomplished writer and speaker. He died a year or two ago. The Madison Zietung, Republican, was published a year or two by different men. Messrs. FUCHS & LINDEMANN had charge of it for a time in 1857, I think, then E. RULLMANN, &c. It was never well sup. ported, and did not half pay expenses, though it was an ably conducted paper. The Madison Demokrat was estab- lished in 1858, by SIMON SICKLES. It was continued. several different persons being connected with it, at differ- ent times, till 1860, when it was discontinued. This is about all the information I have been able to obtain of the German press of the county. No paper is now pub- lished in that language in the county."


The following named papers and periodicals were start. ed in Madison, but were soon discontinued for want of support, some of which deserved a better fate :


The Madison Capitol, in the winter of 1855, J. NOLAN; editor, and L. POLAND & Co., publishers.


The True American, in the spring of 1855, edited by an association and published by J. A. SOMERBY & Co.


The Western Fireside, in January, 1857, S. H. CARPEN. TER, editor and proprietor.


The Higher Law, in January, 1861, HERBERT REED, editor and proprietor.


:


78


HISTORY OF MADISON.


Educational. The North Western Journal of Education, Science and General Literature, in March, 1850, O. M. Cox- OVER, editor.


Free School Journal and Teachers' Advocate, July, 1850, J. L. ENos, editor and proprietor.


Studen's' Miscellany, 1857, by the Students of the Uni- versity.


Temperance. The Old Oaken Bucket, in 1850 or 1851. Organ of the Sons of Temperance. Dr. J. W. HUNT, publisher.


WISCONSIN STAATS ZEITUNG.


A weekly German paper, bearing the above title, was established in Madison, in October, 1865, by C. LOHMANN, and is still published. It is a six column paper, and in politics is democratic.


SUPPLEMENT.


NAMES OMITTED BY TRANSCRIBING, AND TOO LATE FOR INSER- / TION IN THEIR RESPECTIVE PLACES.


BAUS & MENGES, tobacconists, Dean's Block, cor Pinck- and King


Baus, Richard, ( of the firm Baus and Menges, ) h Patterson n Spaight


Bayer, Joseph, mason, cor Johnson and Blair


Beaty. Mrs., h University Av n Francis


Butler, Mrs. C. M., dress maker, U. S. Block


Casey, Patrick, yardman at Vilas House


Clark, John, bead porter at Vilas House


DEGGELLER, Dr. J., physician, State bet Johnson and Gorham, ( Sec advertisement)


Fowler, J. M., photographer with E. R. Curtis


Gibbs, Mrs. C. A., dressmaker, Journal Building


Grass, Laurentz, Johnson n Broome


Grass, Matthias, clerk, Johnson n Broome


Hazleton, G. W., U. S. Collector, P. O. Block


JERDEE, L. P. & M. P., reaper and drill agents, Williams, opposite Lamps' wagon shop Kinsley, Patrick, bar-keeper at Vilas House


Pramer David, janitor, U. S. mustering office, Gurnee's Bl


Pratt C. A., American Express office


Pratt E. S., clerk, h Langdon n Carroll


Pratt John, railroad fireman, h Railroad Av n Wilson




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.