USA > Connecticut > Litchfield County > Salisbury > The one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Congregational Church in Salisbury, Conn., Friday, November 23, 1894 > Part 1
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org.
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6
Gc 974.602 Sa34s 1506633
GENEALOGY COLLECTION
Gen
ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY L 3 1833 02211 8720
K
P
E
C
B
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, SALISBURY, CONN., 1894.
1744
1894
THE
ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTIETH
Anniversary
OF
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
IN
SALISBURY, CONN.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 23, 1894
HARTFORD, CONN. PRESS OF THE CASE, LOCKWOOD & BRAINARD COMPANY
1895
,
1506633
SALISBURY, Nov. 24, 1894.
To REV. J. C. GODDARD,
Dear Sir, -We, the undersigned citizens of the town, respectfully request that you shall cause to be published in a convenient form the addresses and entire proceedings of the very interesting meeting of the 150th Anniversary of the Congregational Society of the town, held yesterday .
D. J. WARNER, CHAS. H. BISSELL, H. J. BISSELL, HUBERT WILLIAMS, WM. B. RUDD.
FREDERICK P. MILES, GEO. B. BURRALL, GEO. H. KNIGHT,
EDITORIAL NOTE.
IN accordance with the foregoing request, the following pages are presented. In addition to the proceedings proper, there are appended some historical notes, following Dr. Reid's example in 1844, and a statement of the present condition of the church, which may be of value to the chronicler of the next anniversary.
The first recognition of the worth of the history of the church was the discourse by the second pastor, Rev. Joseph W. Crossman, "On Lord's Day, January 2, 1803," a little after the completion of the fifty-eighth year .*
In the well-known address of Judge Samuel Church, delivered at the "one hundreth anniversary of the first annual town meeting of the town of Salisbury, October 20, A. D. 1841," considerable space is given to the church.
The historical address by the Rev. Adam Reid, D.D., pastor of the church, at their " first centennial celebration, November 20, 1844," is the most complete and trustworthy statement of facts extant.
In the historical address of Governor A. H. Holley, delivered July 4, 1876, some further facts are given respecting the church.
There seems to have been no observance of church anniversa- ries until the Centennial. "This was held Nov. 20, 1844, three days earlier than the date of the organization, for the sake of accom- modating our friends from abroad. The occasion was one of deep and intense interest." Rev. Adam Reid delivered the historical dis- course. Rev. Jonathan Lee, grandson of the first pastor, wrote a hymn for the event, beginning,-
" Where erst the red man roamed the woods And hurl'd the feathered dart."
"Ps. 78th, C. M., Rouse's Version, was sung, in the tune of Burford, the successive lines being rehearsed, as anciently. by Deacon Eliphalet Whittlesey." The Rev. Lavius Hyde of Becket, Mass., third pastor of the church, administered the sacrament. "A large and attentive audience was convened in the evening of the day, to which the Rev. Leonard E. Lathrop, D.D., of Auburn, N. Y., preached a solemn discourse from the words, 'Our fathers, where are they ? and the prophets, do they live forever ?'"
* This is a rare pamphlet, but may be found in the Scoville Library, class 974.61, No. C.47. Bound with it are the address of Judge Church and the discourse of Dr. Reid.
THE
OBSERVANCE OF THE ANNIVERSARY.
A T the annual meeting of the church, Dec., 1893, a com- mittee, consisting of the deacons, Mr. T. L. Norton, and the pastor, was appointed to provide for the appropriate observance of the coming anniversary.
.
Early in November, 1894, the following invitation was issued :
1744. 1894.
The Congregational Church, Salisbury, Conn.,
cordially invite you to be present at the observance of their
One hundred and fiftieth Anniversary, Friday, Nov. 23d, 1894, 11 and 2 à clack.
8
The following programme was prepared for the anni- versary :
1744. A Century and a Half. 1894. THE ORDER OF SERVICES
On the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the Congregational Church of Salisbury, Connecticut.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER THE TWENTY-THIRD, EIGHTEEN HUNDRED AND NINETY-FOUR.
One Hundred and Fifty Years.
THE MORNING SERVICES
Hymn ·
" O where are kings and empires now ?"
The Scripture . Pss. 87 and 122, Rev. L. H. Reid, D.D. Prayer The Rev. A. Gardner, Warren
Music
" Jubilate Deo"
The Welcome
By the Pastor
Then and Now: Christ Ever Supreme The Rev. A. G. Hibbard, Goshen Music . The Choir
The History of the Meeting House
Malcolm Day Rudd
The Ancient Covenant of the Church Read by the Senior Deacon, John L. Merwin " I love Thy Kingdom, Lord "
Hymn
INTERMISSION
Dinner will be served in the Town Hall, opposite the Church, whose frame- work was originally a part of the first Meeting House, built in 1749 : where also will be found a collection of historical relics and portraits of persons formerly identified with the congregation.
THE AFTERNOON SERVICES
Music . " O be Joyful!" Address By the Rev. Lewis H. Reid, D. D., ex-Acting Pastor, Hartford A Greeting from Our Former Pastor The Rev. C. L. Kitchel, New Haven Music " It came upon the midnight clear " An Historical Discourse . By the Pastor
Hymn Written by Mrs. Alexander H. Holley for the Centennial Celebration of Salisbury in 1876.
Father of nations, God on high,
We raise to Thee our fervent cry, As we before Thee waiting stand, In temple fashioned by Thy hand.
With joyous hymn and earnest voice, On this proud day do we rejoice, Beseeching, Lord, that we may be
Still strong and powerful, brave and free;
Strong in God's power and arm of might, Brave in the consciousness of right, Free from the chains of wrong and sin, God's warriors in the fight to win.
When coming centuries shall lay down The burden of their years' renown, Lord, in the future as in the past, Be with us, long as time shall last.
Our Church in War Time
. Thomas Lot Norton
Words of Greeting
Robt. A. Reid, M.D., Newton, Mass.
Music
" O Come, Let us Worship "
Prayer and Benediction
The Rev. L. H. Reid, D.D.
HISTORICAL NOTES
1720 Earliest settlements.
1741 The Town chartered and named.
1744 Friday, November 23, the Church formed.
1800 The present house of worship builded.
1804 The Ecclesiastical Society formed.
1815 The Great Revival. 188 additions.
1819 The Sunday-school formed.
1827 Revival, 69 additions.
1849 The General Association of Connecticut met here.
THE PASTORS OF THE CHURCH
I Rev. Jonathan Lee
1744-1788
2 Rev. Joseph Warren Crossman
1797-1812
3 Rev. Lavius Hyde
1818-1822
4 Rev. Leonard Elijah Lathrop, D.D.
1825-1836
5 Rev. Adam Reid, D.D.
1837-1878
6 Rev. Cornelius Ladd Kitchel
1877-1883
7
Rev. John Calvin Goddard .
1884-date
THE DEACONS OF THE CHURCH
I Thomas Chipman
1745-1752 II
Eliph. Whittlesey
1822-1859
2 Hezekiah Camp
1750-1791
12
Timo. Chittenden
1828-1860
3 Joseph Bird
1752-1754 13 Myron Hutchinson
1847-1883
4 John Hutchinson
1755-1780 14
Oliver Jewell
1852-1890
5 Matthias Kelsey
1780-1796 15 Moses L. Graham 1860-1888
6 David Jewell
1782-1786
I6 Henry M. Knight
1878-1880
7 Job Spencer
1787-1800
17 John L. Merwin
1880-date
8 Nathaniel Buel
1794-1808
18 Henry S. Wilson
1888-date
9 Gideon Smith
1800-1858
19 Albert P. Felts
1891-date
IO Milo Lee
1805-1829
Dying words of Mr. Crossman, " Be faithful."
Last text of Dr. Reid, " It is required in stewards that a man be found faithful."
The weather was lowering all day, turning into rain by dusk, and thereby preventing the attendance of many who had planned to come. The night was so unusually dark that some teams from a distance had to buy lanterns en route, and some ran into obstructions. Nevertheless, a large gather- ing assembled by train and wheel, filling the church in the morning and crowding it in the afternoon, exceeding 400 by count.
IO
North Canaan was well represented, some 25 or more being present. Several from Winsted were present. There were representatives from Falls Village, the Cornwalls, Kent, Sharon, Millerton, Sheffield, Gt. Barrington, Colebrook, War- ren, Goshen, and remoter places. Carriages were provided for those who came up or down the Housatonic road and they were carried from Falls Village or Lime Rock to and from Salisbury. Mr. H. J. Bissell was master of transporta- tion.
The following named ministers of the Gospel were present :
L. H. REID, Hartford.
J. PIERPONT, West Cornwall.
A. G. HIBBARD, Goshen.
E. C. STARR, Cornwall.
C. D. MILLIKEN, Canaan. F. D. ABRAMS, Lakeville.
H. UTTERWICK, East Canaan.
T. D. JESTER, Millerton.
D. M. MOORE, Colebrook. LYMAN WARNER, Salisbury.
C. W. HANNA, Falls Village. J. H. GEORGE, Salisbury.
One person bearing the Lee name was present, Mrs. Harriet L. Lee, whose husband was great-grandson of the first pastor.
The Connecticut Western News of Canaan said :
" The interior of the church was tastefully decorated with evergreens and flags, and a bank of flowers and foliage plants extended across the entire platform in front of the desk. The decorations were made by the young ladies of the Endeavor Society and others. The portrait of Dr. Adam Reid was sent by his son, Robt. A. Reid, M.D., of Newton, Mass., and was placed over the platform. At the side of the pulpit were portraits of Rev. L. H. Reid, D.D., ex-acting pastor, and of Rev. C. L. Kitchel, sixth pastor of the church.
" The choir were: Soprano, Mrs. E. R. LaPlace, of Salisbury ; alto, Miss Kaneen, of New London ; tenor, H. S. Wilson ; bass, G. B. Burrall, both of Lakeville. The organist was Geo. H. Knight, M.D., of Lakeville.
" The hospitality was officered by Mrs. Geo. B. Burrall, Mrs. M. H. Robbins, Mrs. S. A. Clark, and Mrs. Jane R. Hubbard.
"From noon until nearly two o'clock dinner was served in the lower rooms of the Town Hall. About 100 persons could be seated at the tables at once. There was a great abundance and variety of tempting food, and 400 or more persons were fed. More than twelve baskets full remained, and just here it is proper to state that about 5 o'clock supper was also served for all who came from the east by train and returned at 6.36 o'clock."
One of the most interesting features of the occasion was the historical collection exhibited in the Town Hall. The walls were hung with portraits extending around the room, one of Bishop Janes who was reared in Salisbury, Captain John C. Coffing and Maria Birch, his wife, who gave two
II
funds to the church and made other bequests to the town, besides deeding the land on which the parsonage stands ; Hon. A. H. Holley, Governor of Conn. from 1857-8 ; John M. Holley, M.C., of Lyons, N. Y .; Horace Holley, D.D., LL.D., President of Transylvania University, Ky .; Col. Joshua Por- ter, M.D., a famous Salisbury citizen, over 50 years in the Legislature, Colonel in the Revolution, agent here for Conti- nental cannon and shot, judge, and what not ; Peter B. Porter his son, M.C., general in 1812, Secy. of War under J. Q. Adams; Samuel Moore, founder of the Barrackmatiff Manor family : Thomas N. Smith, Esq .; Mrs. Maria Holley Wil- liams; Deacons Asa Hutchinson and wife, Moses Lester Graham, Oliver Jewell, Dr. Henry M. Knight ; Lot Norton, Esq .; Mrs. Francis Stiles ; Geo. Coffing and Fannie M. Wil- liams, his wife; Mrs. Marcia Coffing Holley ; Alexander Lyman Holley, C. E., LL.D .; Hon John M. Holley, and Mary Ann Coggswell, his wife; Dr. Hiram Eddy, a familiar figure in our pulpit ; "Grandma " Olive Pratt, still living at 98 ; Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pettee, and many others reared in this church. Perhaps the most beautiful of all was a miniature on ivory of Mrs. Andrew Jewell, mother of Deacon Oliver Jewell, an exquisite gem .*
Among the relics were: a chair that had been in the Hollister family over 200 years; an autograph letter from General Washington about the battle of White Plains ; a let- ter from Alexander Hamilton, for whom Gov. Holley was named, to Hon. Thomas Day, the father of Mrs. Sarah D. Hol- ley; Continental, Confederate, and "wild cat" money; a ticket of the lottery chartered by the General Court used in building the South Canaan meeting-house ! a portable wine chest left by Burgoyne's army passing through Salisbury as prisoners; a decanter used exclusively in treating the minister ! a large piece of Charter Oak, the largest known to exist; ancient deeds in the reign of George the Second ; Indian relics, sam- ples and needle-work of the Puritan mothers, ancient uten- sils, jewelry, bric-a-brac, and MSS. literally too numerous to mention. The portraits and relics were collected by a com-
* No catalogue was made of the portraits and relics, and the editor, who was in the hall but ten minutes, has had to rely upon memory and in- quiry for such details as are given here ; may the omissions be pardoned.
12
mittee, consisting of Mrs. Geo. H. Knight, Mrs. Hubert Wil- liams, and Miss F. E. Coffing. Everything came from Salisbury homes. "They were viewed with deep interest by all."
The News, after giving the bare items of the morning programme, when its editor was not present, adds :
" The afternoon services commenced at 2 P. M. Nearly every seat in the church was occupied. The choir sang "O be Joyful." The Rev. L. H. Reid, D.D., delivered a very affectionate address and mentioned in a very tender manner his services as acting pastor a few years since. The Rev. C. L. Kitchel of New Haven, pastor from 1877 to 1883, was unable to be pres- ent but he sent a very kind and impressive "Greeting," which was read by Mr. Thomas L. Norton. The choir sang the anthem "It came upon the midnight clear." The pastor, the Rev. J. C. Goddard, then delivered " An Historical Discourse," giving a complete record of the church from its forma- tion in 1744 to the present date.
" In the midst of the discourse Mr. Goddard rested while the choir sang, "O come, let us worship." At the close of the discourse the choir and con- gregation sang the hymn which was written by Mrs. Alexander H. Holley for the Centennial Celebration of Salisbury in 1876. Mr. Thomas L. Nor- ton made an impressive and patriotic address, taking for his theme 'Our Church in War Time.'
" It was said of the war-orator of the day that one of the purchasers of the 25 original shares of the town was Thomas Norton, and that Thomas Norton had had a big share in the town ever since unto this day. Which thing Salisbury people liked, and in reference to it the Laureate had written his well-known lines, 'Better a hundred and fifty years of Norton than a cycle some other way.'
" Robert A. Reid, M.D., now of Newton, Mass., youngest son of the late Rev. Adam Reid, D.D., made an off-hand, but very tender, address, and related incidents of his boyhood and his recollections of the men of those days. He paid a beautiful tribute to the Union volunteers who went out from Salisbury in defense of their country. He congratulated the Church on its record and present prosperity. The choir and entire congregation joined in singing ' America.' The Rev. L. H. Reid, D.D., offered prayer and pronounced the benediction."
It may be added that people spoke enthusiastically of the occasion, one well-known citizen declaring that it was "the best day he ever spent in Salisbury !"
While the sociability and historic interest of the occasion were delightful features, there was a yet deeper spirit under- lying all, a conviction that "Other men have labored and ye are entered into their labors," a realization that "the glory of children are their fathers."
THE ADDRESSES.
THE WELCOME BY THE PASTOR.
F RIENDS, Neighbors, Christians : We offer you our hand with the heart in it.
We welcome you to Salisbury, whose hills are iron, whose lakes are silver, whose people are gold. Here is the highest land in the State, so that, when a citizen of Connecticut would be nearest to heaven, he comes to Salisbury.
We welcome you to this church. It is no cathedral, as its English original, but it has, we trust, a temple within, where He who "inhabiteth the praises of Israel " deigns to dwell. We offer you the freedom of the city, and throw open to you the doors of the church. People of various communions, as you are, yet for this once you are members of our congrega- tion, and we pronounce you Congregationalists.
We welcome you to our hospitality, and have endeavored to provide for the varying needs you represent, as being all sorts and conditions of men. For the Episcopalians we have apostolic food, namely that which is taken from the sea; for the Baptists we have water, hot and cold, and plenty of it ; for the Presbyterians we have election cake; and for the Methodists we have reserved the privilege of having the women take part in the meeting.
We welcome you to this historic day. We are a hundred and fifty years old, two less than the age of the celebrated " old Doctor Parr," yet by no means counting ourselves two points under par, but a considerable number above it. We have had a glorious ancestry, of whom we are duly proud, and whom we propose to give later the entire floor; but we would not have you cherish the notion thereby that this church is like the potato vine, the best part of it under- ground. On the contrary, we are still on the earth, wanting it, praying for it, trying, some of us, to "replenish the earth and subdue it," fighting for it, smiting the Devil on the one cheek, and turning to smite him on the other also, but abundantly loving our friends, among whom we count you all.
14
We rejoice with you this day, brethren beloved, in having so much in common, one hope that penetrates the veil; one life, beside which our one hundred and fifty years are but the dust in the balance; one cross, that makes the "green hill far away" the highest of all heights in our eyes; one faith, that binds our hearts together, and to Thee, "O God, Our fathers' God."
THE ADDRESS OF REV. AUGUSTINE G. HIBBARD.
T HE topic of this address was "Then and Now : Christ Ever Supreme." It was written in most felicitous lan- guage, replete with facts and illustrations, and delivered with great force and tenderness. It was in the former part, as the topic indicates, a comparison of the age when this church was organized with the present. Very graphically he sketched the home and church life of our ancestors, bringing to light many circumstances forgotten or overlooked. The latter part of the address was an elucidation of the dominance of Christ in New England life under all its forms and in all ages, " Jesus Christ the same, yesterday, to-day, and forever."
The address held the attention of the audience very closely. Unfortunately, it was lost in travel, and, at this date, to universal regret, has not been discovered, or it would be printed here.
THE TOWN HALL IN 1894
WHOSE MAIN BUILDING, WITHOUT THE TOWER AND FRONT GABLE, WAS THE FIRST MEETING HOUSE, BUILT IN 1749
THE HISTORY OF THE MEETING-HOUSE.
A CONGREGATION without a church is like a man without a shelter, whose comfort is not only diminished, but whose very existence is endangered. The founders of this town realized the truth of this doctrine, felt their need, and in due time set about to supply the deficiency. Salisbury, like other New England towns, was settled by men only a few generations removed from their Puritan ancestors, whose beliefs had been so instilled into the minds of their descendants that it would have been considered little short of sacrilege to entertain any hope of prosperity in a new settlement before the church and school had been established. In the former were embodied all their religious, social, and, in a great measure, their political privileges, so that the non- existence of the church, or even the separation of church and state, were ideas foreign to the mind of the staid colonist. The custom seems to have been to place the town upon a solid footing first, and then to establish the church, the fountain-head of all good government.
In the early days of the town, before the Rev. Jonathan Lee's call, there was no officiating clergyman here, but doubtless, in the absence of a licensed preacher, some of the leading spirits among the settlers took upon themselves the duty of conducting religious services. The Rev. Mr. Cross- man, in his New Year's sermon delivered in 1803, says that the first meeting place for public worship was a house about 20 feet long by 15 feet wide, situated near the furnace ; but as two or three furnaces were in active operation in his time, and he has designated no one in particular, this piece of in- formation is of little practical value to us. Moreover, as no mention of this house is made by any other reliable authority, we conclude either that Mr. Crossman carelessly substituted tradition for fact, or that Judge Church, who wrote forty years later, had sufficient reason for ignoring the whole matter, for he makes no mention whatever of Mr. Crossman's
16
first church, while the New Year's sermon embellishes the structure, which Judge Church holds to have been the first meeting-house, with two watch-towers, occupied on the Sabbath by sentries to guard against Indian attacks. These conflicting statements somewhat obscure the earliest history of the church, and the present generation can only conjec- ture as to where tradition ends and history begins.
The population was scattered and travel difficult through what was then almost a wilderness. Moreover, while the Dutch settlers of 1720 seem to have been as religiously in- clined as their English neighbors, it was not until the coming in of larger numbers of English settlers, and the predominance of Puritan doctrines that active measures were taken in regard to erecting a building that could be dignified by the name of church. Previous to, and for some time after, Mr. Lee's arrival, meetings were held at the houses of Henry Van Dusen at Weatogue, Cornelius Knick- erbacor at Furnace Village (Lakeville), and Nathaniel Buell at Lime Rock. There is, however, no room for doubt as to the matter contained in the Town Records, and we have the first authentic record of church building in 1744, when the town voted to erect a log house 30 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 8 feet from floor to floor, to serve as a church and a dwelling-house for the minister. The decision was carried out and a church was built upon a spot, in all probability, nearly opposite the present parsonage. There Mr. Lee was ordained 150 years ago to-day. But the building was destined for but a short period of usefulness, as it was abandoned several years later in favor of a new meeting- house.
In October, 1743, the following act relative to Salisbury was passed by the General Court, vis .: that each of the twenty-five rights in the town should be taxed £60 for three years, and four pence for three years upon each acre of un- improved land, for the purpose of the " settling and support of an orthodox minister and for the building of a meeting- house." This act was the outcome of several years' agitation. In 1745 the people found the tax of 1743 too burdensome, and the General Court modified it. Two years later, in 1747, upon a petition of the inhabitants of the town the court appointed Ebenezer Marsh, Joseph Bird, and Joseph Sanford
I7
a committee to find a site for a new meeting-house. Quoting Judge Church, "this committee designated two places, one where the town had by its vote fixed it, and the other a little north of Joseph Lee's dwelling house." A year before the elevation north of the old Coffing homestead (or just south of the present parsonage) was selected as a desirable site, but the inhabitants of the north end of the town were opposed to the plan and it was relinquished. The com- mittee made their report and Esq. Thos. Chipman having been sent to the court to request that they fix upon the site near Mr. Lee's, that body directed that the meeting-house be built in that place. Lee's house stood near the site of the present Town Hall. The town had no title to the land upon which the church was built; but on May 29, 1750, Col. Robert Walker of Stratford, one of the original proprietors of the town, actuated by love and good-will, deeded to Jona. Lee, Thos. Chipman, Samuel Beebe, and the rest of the inhabitants of the town, two pieces of land, upon one of which the meeting-house stood, the ground on the west side of the highway not taken up by the church building to be used as a burying place, and that on the east side of the road to be used as a parade ground.
The dimensions of the new house were 45 feet long by 35 feet wide. In February, 1748, Capt. Samuel Beebe, Esq., Thos. Chipman, and Ensign Samuel Bellows were appointed a committee to procure timber, shingles, and nails, and to set up the frame of the house. A little later the same com- mittee were empowered to "procure the lower floor laid and the window frames and sashes made and glass put in and the outside door hung, upon the town's cost." A tax of 3s. on a pound was laid upon the town to defray the expense of this undertaking. In June, 1749, Ensign Samuel Bellows, one of the committee, was directed " to procure 16 gals. of rhum and half one hundred weight of shuger, and two pounds of all spice for raising the meeting-house," and Sargeant Saml. Moore was entrusted with the purchase of 8 bushels of wheat to be made into cake to be used on the same occasion. According to Judge Church, these extensive preparations were not utilized until Nov. 24 and 25, 1749, when the meet- ing-house was finally raised.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.