The history of Redding, Connecticut : from its first settlement to the present time, Part 26

Author: Todd, Charles Burr, 1849- cn
Publication date: 1906
Publisher: Newburgh, N.Y. : Newburgh Journal Company
Number of Pages: 402


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Redding > The history of Redding, Connecticut : from its first settlement to the present time > Part 26


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30


Myron A. Hull 8 (Aaron B. 7) married Mary C. West. He is Sec- retary of Wm. E. Uptegrove & Co., lumber dealers, New York City. Chil- dren : Arthur, Robert, Royal C. and Madeline. Resides in Brooklyn, N. Y.


John Hull 6 (Timothy 5) married Sarah Fairchild. Children: Aaron, Polly, Ezekiel, Hezekiah, and Abraham.


David Hull 6 (Timothy 5) married Chloe Lee. Children: Daniel, Harry and Lucy.


Samuel 6 (Timothy 5) married Anna Wakeman. One daughter, Eliza, married Horace Staples, president of the Westport National Bank.


Hezekiah 6 (Timothy 5) married Hannah Goodsell.


Anna 6, married Lemuel Burr.


Abigail 6, married Timothy Perry.


John Hull, Jr. 5 (Ensign John 4) married Mary Andrews. Children : Eleanor and Mollie.


Cornelius Hull, Jr. 4 (Cornelius, Jr. 3), born May 14, 1710; married Aug. 24, 1731, Abigail Rumsey, daughter of Robert Rumsey. Children : Jedediah; Eunice, married Seth Bradley; Grace, married William Hill; Eliphalet, Abigail ; Sarah, who married David Allen, Jr., and Rouhamah.


Jedediah 5 (Cornelius, Jr. 4) married Mary Chapman, daughter of Rev. Daniel Chapman, of Green's Farms. She died 1774, leaving five


248


HISTORY OF REDDING.


children : Denney; Eunice, who married Seth Lee, and second, Elipha- let Brush; Chapman; Mary C., who married Bradley Hull 6 (Silas 5), and Cornelius, Jr. Jedediah married, second, Mary Osborne. One child, Jedediah, Jr.


Jedediah Hull 5, was appointed Lieut. of the 9th Co. 4th Regiment at Fort George, Oct., 1756, and Lieut. of the 7th Co. Second Conn. Regi- ment, March, 1758. He was at Ticonderoga, and Crown Point, and stood beside Montgomery when he fell at Quebec, 1775.


Denny Hull 6 (Lieut. Jedediah 5) married Mary Platt, daughter of Obadiah and Thankful (Scudder) Platt. Children: Mary C., married Sturges Selleck; Denny, Jr., Isaac P., and Eunice.


Denny, Jr. 7 (Denny 6) married Ann Selleck. Children : Jarvis P., Edward S., Isaac P., Clarissa Ann (married James L. Burr), Nathaniel S., Mary J., Denny, Jr., and Josephine, who married Benjamin F. Ryder.


Jarvis P. Hull 8 (Denny, Jr. 7) married Eliza Stevens, and second, Rachel Stevens, sister of first wife. Children: Henrietta G., married Reuben Pierce, of Danbury ; Ann A., Ella V. and Sarah E., all residents of Danbury, Conn. Edward S. 8 (Denny, Jr. 7) married Chloe K. Am- bler. Two children: Ann Elizabeth, who married Henry C. Ryder, of the Danbury Savings Bank, and James Henry. Isaac P. 8 (Denny, Jr. 7), married Henrietta Gibbs, and second, Judith Fleetwood. Children : -? son, died in infancy ; Edwin P., Anna D., Esther E., and Mary L.


Nathaniel S. Hull 8 (Denny, Jr., 7) married Angeline Barber. Chil- dren : Azor B., William F., and Denny.


Denny, Jr., 8 (Denny, Jr., 7) married Annie M. Raynor. Children : 'Adeline R. and John D.


Chapman Hull 6 (Lieut. Jedediah 5), baptized May 26, 1765 ; married Esther Bulkeley. Children: Morris, Henry C., and George.


Morris 7 (Chapman 6) married Betsey Sally Hull, a twin daughter of Nehemiah Hull, of Redding, born Dec. 7, 1792. Children : Harriet N., Frederick, Charles, George, and Morris, Jr.


Harriet N. Hull 8 (Morris 7) married Benedict Crofut. Children : Pauline A., William A., Frederick H., Fidelia B., Elizabeth M., Emma M., and Charles B.


William A. Crofut 9 (Harriet N. Hull-Crofut 8), born in Redding, Conn., 1836; Ph. D. of Union College. Served in the famous first Minne- sota Regiment in the Civil War. Married Margaret Marshal, and sec- ond Bessie Nichols. Travelled extensively abroad, as correspondent for many leading papers ; served on the staff of the N. Y. Tribune ; editor of the Minneapolis Tribune, Rochester Democrat, New Haven Palladium, and Washington Post. Author of "History of Connecticut during the Rebellion," "Helping Hand for American Homes," "Bourbon Ballads," "Deseret, or A Saint's Affliction," "A Midsummer Lark," "The Vander-


249


HISTORY OF REDDING.


bilts and the Story of their Fortune," "The Prophecy, and other Poems," "The Lord's Day or Man's?" Residence, Washington, D. C.


Charles Hull 8 (Morris 7) married Hannah E. Ambler. Children: Harriet, tlied in infancy ; Harriet, the second, married Alexander McNie, Winona, Minnesota ; Mary E., married Granville W. Hoyt, of Danbury, Conn .; Frederick A .; Thomas A., married Agnes Scott; and Sarah M.


Frederick A. Hull 9 (Charles 8) married Mary Clark, Danbury, Conn. Children: Winona M., married Dr. H. R. Armstrong, N. Y. City ; Charles, Clark, and Milton.


George Hull 7 (Chapman 6) married Clara Nichols, daughter of Gould Nichols. Children : Mary P., married Bradley Hubbell Hull 7 (Bradley 6) ; Sarah E., Andrew, Caroline A., and Georgiana.


Andrew Hull 8 (George 7) married Kate Schoonmaker. Children : Clara N., married James W. Porter, and Flora S., married William H. Leonard.


Georgiana 8 (George 7) married Milo H. Parsons. Children: Flor- ence H. Parsons ; Fred H. Parsons, married Lulu H. DeBell, Stamford, Conn .; George M .; Harold A. Parsons, married Mary E. Paxson, Stam- ford, Conn .; Marion B .; Waldo H. Parsons, who was a soldier in the Spanish-Am. War, Co. I, 3rd Conn. Regt.


Cornelius Hull 6 (Lieut. Jedediah 5) married Mary Platt. Children : Mary C., Isaac P. and Maria.


Mary C. Hull 7 (Cornelius 6) married Eliphalet Banks, and second Willis Nichols. Children by first husband : Sarah Banks, married Stephen Morehouse ; Mary C. Banks, married Daniel A. Meeker. Child by sec- ond husband, Harriet L. B. Nichols, who married J. Sherwood Wakeman. She is the owner, and resides in the colonial house built by her great grandfather, Lieut. Jedediah Hull, at Southport.


Jedediah, Jr. 6 (Lieut. Jedediah 5 and second wife, Mary Osborne) married Eleanor Price. Children : Jedediah Bradley, David, Mary C., Hiram, Bradley, Eunice and Catherine.


Jedediah Bradley Hull 7 (Jedediah, Jr., 6) married Mary E. Mallory. Children: William H., Jameson C., Martha A., Mary A., Carrie S., and Susan E.


Jameson C. Hull 8 (Jedediah Bradley 7) married Maria L. C. Harris, daughter of George W. and Mary M. (Griffiths) Harris, Brooklyn, N. Y. He was appointed Assistant Engineer U. S. Navy; resigned 1858. At the fall of Fort Sumter, 1861, he offered his services to the Secretary of the Navy, was reinstated with his former rank, and took such a promi- nent part under Admiral Farragut on the Mississippi below New Orleans, that he was promoted to First Assistant Engineer. He was transferred to the Onondaga and was in active service on the James River 1863 to 1865; resigned 1866.


250


HISTORY OF REDDING.


Martha A. 8 (Jedediah 7) married Thomas B. Johnson.


Carrie S. 8 (Jedediah 7) married Albert H. Dakin. Children : Albert H. Dakin, Jr., Civil Engineer, New York City; Adelaide Dakin, Carrie, Edwin and Belle.


Dr. Eliphalet Hull 5 (Cornelius, Jr., 4), born 1738, graduated from Yale 1758; married Charity Burr. He was a Surgeon in the Revolu- tionary War; died 1799. Children: Dr. William Burr Hull, Charity who married Samuel B. Sherwood, Abigail, Sarah who married Abraham Andrews, Deborah who married Jesse Brush and after the death of her sister Charity married second Samuel B. Sherwood, and Mary Burr Hull, who married Orrin Day, of Catskill, N. Y.


Dr. William Burr Hull 6 (Dr. Eliphalet 5) married -? Chil- dren : Alson H. and Eliphalet Burr Hull.


Alson H. Hull 7 (Dr. William Burr 6) married Mary Banks. Chil- dren : Mary B., Albert B., Andrew L., and Julia, who married Joel Banks. Albert B. 8 (Alson H. 7) married ? Children : Albert B., Jr. and Amelia C., who married G. H. Knapp.


William H. 9 (Albert B. 8) married -? Children : Sophia, Harold, and Allison.


Eliphalet Burr Hull 7 (Dr. William Burr 6) married Hannah E. Holmes. Children: William Burr, John H., and Henry E.


William Burr Hull 8 (Eliphalet Burr 7) married Charlotte H. Farn- ham. Children: Edgar and Arthur Burr Hull.


John H. Hull 8 (Eliphalet Burr 7) married Charlotte A. Taylor. They own and reside in the colonial house mentioned in the "Story of Hull's Farms." Children: Inez H., Charlotte M., Edward T., Harriet E., and Henry M.


Theophilus Hull 3 (Cornelius 2, George I) married Mary Sanford, sister of Sarah, wife of his brother Cornelius, Jr., 3. In May, 1705, Theophilus Hull was appointed Ensign of the company at the west end of Fairfield. He was appointed Deputy for Fairfield, May, 1708; Lieu- tenant of West Co. of Fairfield, June, 1709, and Captain the same year. At the same General Court he was appointed on a committee for Fair- field County, with Deputy Governor Gold, Joseph Curtis, Major Peter Burr and Captain Joseph Wakeman. He is named in the will of his father as receiving a share "of his meadow land in ye fields," also another portion of the estate, and was named as one of the executors of the will. The will of Theophilus Hull, proved August 2, 1710, names his wife Mary, daughters Mary and Ann, and four sons, Theophilus, Jr., Eliphalet, John, and Jabesh.


Ann Hull 4 (Theophilus 3), baptized Aug. 26, 1694; married Zach- ariah Sanford.


Theophilus, Jr., 4 (Theophilus 3), baptized May 23, 1697; married


251


HISTORY OF REDDING.


Sarah ---? "Theophilus Hull and wife Sarah renewed their cove- nant, Feb. 21, 1720." (Fairfield Church Records.) "There were ad- mitted to membership from Green's Farms Theophilus Hull and wife Sarah, May 18, 1726." (Greenfield Hill Parish Records.) They moved to Redding prior to 1729, as he and his wife were among the original members of the First Church of Christ in Redding, and he was elected Deacon, 1733. His will dated June 7, 1748, proved October 31, 1748, names : wife Sarah, son Theophilus, and daughter Lydia, wife of Samuel Smith. His widow Sarah, son Theophilus, and brother-in-law Samuel Sherwood, were joint executors.


Theophilus, Jr., 5 (Theophilus, Jr., 4), born February 21, 1725; mar- ried, January 25, 1759, Widow Martha Betts, at Redding. His will, dated December I, proved 19, 1785, names son Zalmon and daughters Sarah and Lydia Hull. In the oldest cemetery in Redding, Conn., on a stone a few yards southwest of the Congregational Church, the following inscriptions are placed :


"In memory of Mr. Theophilus Hull, who departed this life, Dec. 5, 1785, In the 60th year of his age."


"In memory of Mrs. Martha Hull, who departed this life, Apr. 10, 1785, In the 52nd year of her age."


Zalmon Hull 6 (Theophilus, Jr., 5), baptized May 13, 1759; married, March 4, 1784, Eunice Belden. Children : Sarah, Theophilus B., Heze- kiah, Lydia, and Henry.


Theophilus B. Hull 7 (Zalmon 6), born 1785; married, October 16, 1810, Sally Betsey Hull, twin daughter of Nehemiah and Sarah (Jack- son) Hull, of Redding, Conn. A stone in the cemetery before referred to bears the following inscriptions :


"In memory of Mr. Theophilus B. Hull, who died April 17, 1830, aged 44 yrs. 5 m. 12 days. The Son of Man cometh in an hour when ye think not."


"In memory of Sally, wife of Theophilus B, Hull, who died Feb. 22, 1834, aged 41 years, 2 m. 16 days. Beloved are the dead, who die in the Lord."


Eliphalet Hull 4 (Theophilus 3) married Sarah Barlow, daughter of John Barlow. His will, dated March 9, and proved March 22, 1736-7, names wife, Sarah, daughters Miriam, Sarah, Ruth, and Mary, to each of whom he gave fioo, to his eldest son Seth, his gun and £20, the rest of his estate to his sons Seth, John, and Daniel equally. His wife Sarah, John Barlow and Joseph Wakeman were named Executors, with power


252


HISTORY OF REDDING.


to sell his lands in New Fairfield. Miriam 5 (Eliphalet 4) married Jabez Gorham. Sarah 5 (Eliphalet 4) maried Ebenezer Bradley. Seth Hull 5 (Eliphalet 4), born 1728-9, married Hannah Rumsey. They moved to New York State and settled near Saratoga. Some of the famous springs were on his farm. Two of his sons, Eliphalet and Seth, Jr., took an im- portant part in the Revolutionary War, after which they moved to Yates County, N. Y. Some of their descendants are Mrs. Emma (Buel) Lee, and her sister, Miss Buel, of Benton Center, N. Y .; Will Buel Hull, Buffalo, N. Y .; Cyrus E. Hull, of the Railway Mail Service, Cincinnati, Ohio; Mrs. Erastus Hull, Avon, Michigan, and Theodore B. Hull, of Tudor, Sutter County, California, who owns a large ranch near Marys- ville, California, on which he raises large quantities of fruit. Another descendant is Cyrus Sherwood Bradley, of Southport, author of the "Story of Hull's Farms."


John Hull 5 (Eliphalet 4), born April 2, 1704, married Elizabeth Adams. He was a lawyer and settled at Newton. Children: Ebenezer, Elijah, John Jr., Eliphalet, Mary, and perhaps others. Ebenezer 5, born Oct. 5, 1729, married ? Children : Abel, Elijah, John, Eliphalet, Mary, who married Simeon Shepard. There may have been other chil- dren.


Elijah 6 (John 5) married Rebecca Summers. Children: Ebenezer, Elijah, Jr., John; Betty, married - Taylor; Lucy; Sarah, married Abijah Sherman; Huldah, married - Sanford; Polly, married - Tomlinson ; Rhuama, married - Hays; Anna, married - Sherman; Agnes, married - Platt; and Rebecca, married - - Barnum.


John, Jr. 6 (John 5) married Sarah Hepburn. One daughter, Phebe, married George Shepard, son of Lieut. Timothy Shepard.


Eliphalet 6 (John 5), born Jan. 1, 1737-8. Oct. 30, 1765, married Rebecca Baldwin, daughter of James and Lydia Baldwin, of Newton. Children: Anna, who married Allan Shepard. One of her grandsons is W. Farrand Felch ("Noel Little"), who was the editor of the Genea- logical Department of the Hartford Times for a number of years, and is now located at Petaluma, California. The other children of Eliphalet 6, were; Abiah, married Samuel A. Judson; Lydia, married Alanson North- rup, and second, Captain Botsford; Esther ; Betty, married David Booth ; and Rebecca, married - Shepard.


Daniel Hull 5 (Eliphalet 4) married Betty Beardsley. Children : Daniel, Jr., Hezekiah, Banks, and seven daughters, Molly, Sarah, Han- nah, Betsey, Abigail, Rachel, and Deborah.


JACKSON.


Ephraim Jackson and his wife Martha removed to Redding from Green's Farm, Fairfield, in 1748, and were admitted church-members the


253


HISTORY OF REDDING.


same year. He died April 28th, 1765, aged sixty-five years. The chil- dren of his son, Ephraim Jackson, were as follows: Aaron, baptized No- vember 12th, 1767; Mollie, baptized July 23d, 1769; Peter, September 8th, 1771; Hezekiah, February 27th, 1774. David Jackson appears in Redding as early as 1763; was probably son of Ephraim; married No- vember 18th, 1762, Anna Sanford. Their children were: Ezekiel, bap- tized October 23d, 1763; David, February 2d, 1766; Anna, September 30th, 1770, died in infancy ; Anna, September 14th, 1772; and by a sec- ond wife, Esther, Moses, baptized December 11th, 1774; perhaps others. Ezekiel, son of David, married Hannah Grey, April 30th, 1786 (Town Record.) Their children were: Anna, born December 21st, 1786; Hiram, born April 22d, 1788; Samuel, born December 29th, 1789; Clarissa, born December, 25th, 1792; Laura, born February 28th, 1794; Harriet, born December 18th, 1795. Harriet married Gideon H. Hollister, of Wood- bury, and became the mother of Judge Gideon H. Hollister, the historian of Connecticut.


LEE.


William Lee and wife were admitted church members May 23d, 1742. Their children recorded were: Daniel, baptized January 8th, 1744; Abi- jah, baptized September 21st, 1745; Abigail, baptized May 5th, 1748; William, baptized April 5th, 1753; Seth, baptized March 23d, 1755.


Joseph Lee and wife admitted May 8th, 1737. Their daughter Mary was baptized May 8th, 1743.


LYON.


Among the original members of the church at its organization in 1733 appear the name of Daniel Lion and wife, of Benjamin Lion and wife- recommended by Rev. Mr. Gay-and Richard Lion and wife. All settled in the southeastern part of the town, near what is now the Easton line. The record of their families is as follows: Children of Daniel were: Jonathan, baptized April 12th, 1741. Children of Benjamin were: Bethel, baptized May 29th, 1733; John, baptized August 22d, 1736; Samuel, bap- tized August 20th, 1738; Phebe, baptized February 24th, 1740. Richard Lion died in January, 1740, aged eighty-seven years.


Captain Eli Lyon, a descendant of Richard Lion above named, lived in the old Lyon homestead on Redding Ridge on the site of the present home of Jesse Sanford. He married Betty Hill, daughter of Abel Hill, Esq., a prominent man of the town, and died July 11, 1811, aged 78 years. His wife died February 19, 1808, aged 73 years. They had four children : Camilla, b. Jan. 23, 1803, m. Samuel B. Read, rem. to Ypsilanti, Mich., and died there in 1854; Hannah, b. Jan. 5, 1807, m. Daniel Lyon, and died at Ypsilanti, June 9, 1871; Elizabeth, b. Mch. 31, 1809, and after the death of her sister Camilla, married Samuel B. Read, and died


.


254


HISTORY OF REDDING.


in Ypsilanti in 1901, aged 92 years ; Eli, b. June 9, 1811, in the old home- stead at Redding, and lived there until 1856, when he removed to Ypsi- lanti, Mich., where many Redding people went at that time. He mar- ried Mary Hamlin, of Newtown, Conn., who died after two years, leaving a son, Frederick H., who died in 1871 of consumption, at Ypsilanti. Captain Eli Lyon married second, November 17, 1834, Louisa Augusta Winton, daughter of Col. James Winton, of Bridgeport, Conn., who bore him eleven children, eight in Redding and three after their removal to Michigan. She died in Decatur, Mich., in 1888, and he died December 9, 1890, at the home of his son, R. H. Lyon, in South Bend, Ind. Their children were: (1) Mary Frances, (2) Uri Seeley, (3) Elizabeth Han- nah, (4) Richard Hill, (5) Alice Louisa, (6) William Smith, (7) George Winton, (8) Annie Estelle, (9) Thomas Brownell, (10) Bessie Porter, and one son died in infancy.


Richard Hill (4) went with his parents to Ypsilanti and grew up with the country ; was educated at the public schools and the seminary at Ypsilanti and High School at Decatur; learned the printer's trade. Of musical talent, he entered the piano trade and followed it a few years, then entered the office of the South Bend Tribune, a leading newspaper of Indiana, and rose to be editor. He married, Aug. 15, 1876, Frances Odell Kurtz, and they have since resided in South Bend, Ind .*


LORD.


David Lord was admitted church-member in 1744, recommended by Rev. Mr. Parsons, of Lyme. His children were: David, baptized July 8th, 1744; Elizabeth, baptized March 5th, 1749; perhaps others.


MALLORY.


Jonathan Mallory and wife were admitted church-members December 22d, 1735, on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Chapman. She was Eliza- beth Adams. They were married April Ioth, 1735. Their children were: Jonathan, baptized January IIth, 1736; Eliza, baptized December 17th, 1738; perhaps others. Peter Mallory married Joanna Hall Febru- ary 28th, 1737. Children : Rebecca, baptized February 5th, 1738, died in infancy ; Rebecca, baptized January 13th, 1739; Ebenezer Mallory and Hannah Keys were married February 6th, 1744. No children found. Daniel Mallory and Sarah Lee were married November 30th, 1748. Their children were: Daniel, baptized October 25th, 1750; Nathan, Au- gust 25th, 1754; Abigail, April 24th, 1757; Sarah, May 15th, 1763; Jo- seph, baptized February 12th, 1767; Eunice, daughter of Daniel Mallory, Jr., and his wife Rachel, was baptized September 5th, 1779. Samuel and Charles Mallory were born April 6th, 1780. The names of the parents


*For a sketch of Mr. Lyon, see Chapter xix.


255


HISTORY OF REDDING.


are not given. Charles Mallory was the father of Stephen Mallory, United States Senator from Florida, and later Secretary of the Con- federate Navy.


MEADE.


Stephen Meade, the first of the name in Redding, appears as early as 1755. He married Rachel Sanford, daughter of Ephraim Sanford. Their children were: Jeremiah, born March 22d, 1752; Ezra, baptized January 19th, 1755; Hannah, baptized May 9th, 1756; Esther, baptized August 17th, 1760; Thaddeus, baptized October 25th, 1761 ; Stephen, baptized January 24th, 1768. Stephen Meade is called lieutenant and captain in the records. He was a man quite prominent in town affairs ; was elected the first clerk of the town at its organization in 1767, and held other important offices. He lived in the Centre, on the site of the present residence of Squire Brotheston.


MEEKER.


Benjamin Meeker and wife were admitted church-members June 4th, 1747. She was Catherine Burr. They were married July 20th, 1745. Their children were: Witely, baptized June 7th, 1747; Esther and Eu- nice, baptized August 13th, 1755; Azariah, baptized February 5th, 1769; Daniel Meeker married Sarah Johnson, July 10th, 1744. Their children were: Elnathan, baptized July 26th, 1747; Jared, baptized January 29th, 1749; Rebecca, baptized January 20th, 1751; Lois, baptized March 28th, 1753; Josiah, baptized July 17th, 1757.


About the same time appear David Meeker and Robert Meeker. The former married Hannah Hill, October 31st, 1744. The latter Rebecca Morehouse, September 19th, 1746. I find no record of children. Joseph Meeker appears as early as May 4th, 1735, when his son Isaac was bap- tized.


MERCHANT.


Gurdon Merchant married Elinor Chauncey (probably of Fairfield) December 9th, 1747. Their children were: Amelia, baptized February 5th, 1749; Chauncey, February 25th, 1753; John, baptized August 3Ist, 1755 ; Elinor, January 8th, 1758; Gurdon, March 16th, 1760; Joel, June 6th, 1762; Phebe, May 20th, 1764; Silas, May 8th, 1766. Gurdon Mer- chant was the first town treasurer, and held other offices of trust. The family figures quite prominently in the later history of the town.


256


HISTORY OF REDDING.


MOREHOUSE .*


Thomas Morehouse, the immigrant ancestor, was in Wethersfield, Conn., as early as 1640. In 164I he removed to Stamford and was one of the original twenty-nine white settlers of that town who purchased it of the New Haven Colony, who had previously bought it of the Indians for 100 bushels of corn. (New Haven Colonial Record.)


In 1653, he removed to Fairfield and died there in 1658, leaving a widow, Isabel (probably a second wife) and children: I, Hannah; 2, Samuel ; 3, Thomas ; 4, Mary ; 5, Jonathan, and 6, John. He and his son Samuel were made freemen by the General Court, October, 1664.


Samuel (2), born as early as 1637, died 1687, in Fairfield, and was buried in the old cemetery there. He married Rebecca, daughter of Wil- liam and Rebecca Odell. He was a surveyor, Lieut. of the military com- pany, and the first marshal or sheriff of Fairfield County. His children were: I, Samuel; 2, Thomas ; 3, John; 4, Daniel, 5, James ; 6, Rebecca ; 7, Elizabeth ; 8, Hannah ; 9, Mary, and 10, Ann.


John (3), son of Samuel (2), married Ruth, daughter of John Bar- low, Jr., and Abigail (Lockwood) Barlow, and died in Fairfield, 1727. Children : James (4), Ruth (4), Stephen (4), Gurshom (4), Elizabeth (4), died in infancy; Elizabeth (4), James (4), Abijah (4), John, Jr. (4), Ephraim (4), Ann (4), and James (4).


By will of John Morehouse, proved March 28, 1727, it appears that Stephen Morehouse above had then settled in Chestnut Ridge (now Red- ding). Later, his brother, "Gershom Morehouse and wife," were ad- mitted to the church in Redding (May 8, 1737) on recommendation of Rev. Mr. Hobart, of Fairfield.


Stephen (4), mentioned above, settled in Redding, probably on Couch's Hill, and is said to have been the founder of the Episcopal parish in that town. He died May 2, 1767, "in ye 66th year of his age," and was buried in the Episcopal churchyard on Redding Ridge, where his tombstone may still be seen. He married, March 21, 1722, Abigail, daughter of John and Abigail (Minor) Tredwell, who died Sept. 6, 1759, aged 56 years. Their children were: Joseph (5), Daniel (5), Elizabeth (5), Abigail (5), Stephen, Jr. (5), Ann (5), John (5), Abel (5). All of these children settled out of Redding, in New Milford, New Preston, and Washington, Conn., and in Amenia, N. Y. There have been three other Episcopal parishes founded in Litchfield County by the descendants of Stephen (4).


*The name was originally spelled Moorhouse.


In Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History, occurs this entry: Nicholas Blundell, in the reign of Edward III, in the 6th year (1333) granted to Henry de Moorhouse and Margery his wife, a parcel of land in Little Crosby, lying near the Moorhouse's called "Crosby Meadow." The spelling of the name Moorhouse as above is quite common even now.


257


HISTORY OF REDDING.


Gershom (4) Morehouse, mentioned above, married Sarah, daughter of John Hill, Apr. 22, 1725. Children: Gershom, Jr. (5), born Nov. 25, 1727; Elizabeth (5), born Jan. 3, 1730; Ruth (5), born Dec. 23, 1733. Gershom, Jr. (5), married Anna Sanford, January 18, 1748. He was a captain in the Revolutionary army and commanded a company at the battle of White Plains. His son-in-law was a captain in the British Army, and after the battle they met under a flag of truce to confer on family matters. His children were: Ezra (6), Billy (6), Aaron (6), Jane (6), Anna (6), Hill (6), Lucy (6), Betty (6), Elizabeth (6), Ruth (6), Polly (6), and Tabitha (6). Gershom, Jr., died in Redding, Jan. 22, 1805, aged 77 years.


Aaron (6), son of Gershom, Jr. (5), entered the Revolutionary army as a fifer at the age of sixteen. Was in the battles of Flatbush, Red Hook, and others, and aided in covering the retreat of the patriots from New York after the battle of Long Island. After the war he settled in Redding Centre and cultivated a large farm there, and for thirty years was a Deputy Sheriff of Fairfield County. He died in Redding, Dec. 3, 1833, and is buried in the Episcopal cemetery on Redding Ridge. He married Urana, daughter of John Starr, and had children: Starr Hill (7), Flora (7), Betsey (7), Anna (7), William (7), Almira (7), Charles (7), Amelia (7), and George (7).




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.