USA > Connecticut > Litchfield County > Cornwall > Historical records of the town of Cornwall, Litchfield County, Connecticut; > Part 11
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48
Rev. Mr. Hawes was dismissed July 6, 1813, having been here eight years and four months.
All who remember Mr. Hawes speak of him as a devotedly pious and an earnest Christian man.
About this time-we think in 1812-there was some special degree of religious interest in the parish, and eight persons joined the church. Among the names are Luther Emmons, Mrs. Oliver Burnham, Miss Rhoda Burnham, Mrs. Jasper Pratt, Miss Hannah Pratt, and others.
After Mr. Hawes left, a son of Rev. Mr. Robbins, of Norfolk, supplied the pulpit for a number of months. He is remembered as a young man of talent, eloquent, and a popular preacher.
Afterwards came the Rev. Grove L. Brownell, fresh from his theologic studies, who supplied the pulpit for a year more or less. That was in 1817-18; and under his ministry there was another pleasant and interesting revival of religion, and twenty-two were added to the church. Among these we find the names of Joseph Scoville, John P. Wadsworth, John and Eber Cotter, Amanda Johnson, and others. Of those who then joined the church, we think John P. Wadsworth and Amanda Johnson (now Mrs. Milo Dickinson) are the only survivors.
In 1819 the church and society gave a call to the Rev. Walter Smith, of Kent, Conn., which he accepted, and he was ordained and installed on the second day of June, of that year, on a salary of five hundred dollars. Rev. Mr. Blair, of Kent, preached the sermon, from Daniel xii, 3: " And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever."
Rev. Cyrus Yale, of New Hartford, gave the right hand of fellow- ship; Rev. Ralph Emerson, of Norfolk, the charge to the people; and the Rev. D. S. Perry, of Sharon, the charge to the pastor. Mr. Smith's sermon on the Sabbath morning next after his instal- lation was from Acts x, 29: "Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for: I ask therefore for what intent ye have sent for me?" In the afternoon the text was Acts x, 33: "Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore we are all here
107
ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.
present before God to hear all things that are commanded thee of God."
Rev. Mr. Smith was a sound and substantial preacher of the gospel. The state of his health was such that he could not endure much excitement, or with safety to himself sustain and carry on a continued series of meetings. But notwithstanding this, the church and society were during his ministry repeatedly blessed with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
In one instance, and we think in two, there were quite extensive revivals when Mr. Smith, on account of ill health, was absent nearly if not quite the whole time of their continuance. In one of these, those efficient laborers, John C. Hart and Augustus T. Norton, rendered valuable aid.
In 1821 five persons joined the church, among whom were Benjamin Sedgwick, Mrs. William Pendleton, and others. Benja- min Sedgwick-what a power he was in this church ! Large and well developed in his physical proportions, these seemed to repre- sent the largeness of his faith and of his trust in God. He was seldom absent from his seat in church on the Sabbath Day. His prayers always seemed to come from a warm and sympathizing heart, and in his intense earnestness he often appeared to be taking this whole congregation in the strong arms of his devotion, and thus he bore them up before the mercy seat, while he pleaded for heaven's richest blessings to rest upon them.
In 1822-3 there were further tokens of God's favor in the midst of this people, and sixteen were added to the church. Among them were Darius Miner, William Clark, Erastus Gaylord, Mrs. William Clark, Mrs. Samuel W. Gold, Mrs. Micajah Barnum, and others.
In 1824 there was an addition of twenty, and in this list we find John C. Hart, Chalker Pratt and wife, Isaac S. Wadsworth, Mrs. Ithamer Baldwin, Catharine Clark (now Mrs. Noah Rogers), etc.
In 1826-7 there was held in most of the churches in this section a series of what were called delegate meetings. At an appointed place and time, two or three delegates from each of the surround- ing churches came together, with the society in the midst of which the meeting was held, and special efforts were made for the extension of the Redeemer's kingdom. Some of these were meet- ings of great power, and were attended with great success. One of these meetings was held here with beneficial results. At this
108
HISTORY OF CORNWALL.
meeting Rev. Messrs. Yale of New Hartford, and Halleck of Canton, Conn., were present.
I remember a meeting which they attended in this house on a Sabbath evening. A large congregation was present, and the influences of the Holy Spirit pervaded the place. After the pre- liminary exercises were gone through with, Rev. Mr. Yale arose and announced his text, viz., "O that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night for the slain of the daughters of my people."
The value of an immortal soul, the agencies that were at work to effect its ruin, and the anxiety of Christian men and women in regard to it, and the sacrifices they were willing to make as co- workers with Christ to save it, were the themes of the discourse, which was given with all that thrilling earnestness which might be expected from a master workman who felt the importance of the subject he was handling. Under the inspiration of that hour souls were drawn up towards a higher and purer life.
In 1830-31 protracted or four days' meetings were in vogue. They were held in many of the churches through all this region, and in many cases great spiritual blessings came with and followed them. The one held here was attended with a good degree of success. During its continuance, inquiry meetings were held between the forenoon and afternoon services in a house where Mr. Harvey Baldwin now resides. That house and its surroundings were very different from what we now see at the same place, the difference being very decidedly in favor of the present. As the result of these meetings, and of the revival in connection with them, there were twenty-nine added to the church. Among them were Henry F. Wadsworth, H. Milton Hart, A. B. Pratt, Harvey Wheadon, Esther and Sylvia Ann Hart, Harriet Clark, Harriet Miner, Julia and Caroline Hitchcock, and others.
From 1832 to 1837 we find the following additions to the church, viz .: Noah Baldwin, Eliza Rogers, Mrs. Noah Rogers, 4th, Mrs. T. L. Hart, Mrs. Fowler Bradford, Ambrose S. Rogers, Mrs. Anson Rogers, Olive and Emily Sedgwick, Laura Wheadon, Mrs. H. M. Hart, etc.
In 1838 the state of Rev. Mr. Smith's health was such that he was led to ask for a dismission, which was granted April 3d of that year. We doubt if he would have remained here as long as he did, but for the fact that his wife was one of the most efficient
109
ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.
of women, being very much beloved by all the people, and fully equal to all the duties of a minister's wife.
We remember her especially as an efficient worker in the Sun- day school. She had been a resident in the city of New York, and was there interested in Sunday-school work.
Coming as the bride of the newly-chosen pastor, with gifted mind and ready heart and hands, she here took up the work she there laid down. She found ready co-workers, but she seems to have been the moving spirit in the organization of a Sunday-school in 1820, with Deacon Nathan Hart for superintendent.
In our imagination and recollection many of us to-day see her as she was wont, on Sabbath noon, to take her seat in yonder cor- ner pew, where she was surrounded by a large company of the elderly ladies of this church, to whom she earnestly and intelli- gently expounded the Scriptures. All loved and respected her, and she was worthy of it.
During Mr. Smith's ministry, in 1824 and 1825, a considerable majority of the society had come to think that the meeting-house was not situated where it accommodated the greater number, and that, as the house was old and uncomfortable, a new one should be built, and its location changed. The subject was discussed- talked about. Talk and discussion resulted in action. Locations were canvassed, roads were measured, and there was much excite- ment upon the subject. At length the Judge of the County Court was called upon, as the law provided, to settle the contest, and the stake was placed where this house was built and now stands.
The first stick of timber for the new church, a white-oak, fifty feet long, was drawn on to the ground by Ambrose S. Rogers, then ten years old, with four heavy yoke of oxen, that belonged to his father. T. L. Hart says he scored a stick of that kind one hot June day that went into the building. and he thinks the harder part of the job was his. All the people had a mind for the work !
The old house, coarse, uncouth, and uncomfortable, but hallowed by many years of sacred worship-by many a sacred song-by many a sermon, and many a prayer-by many a holy sacred mem- ory; yes, hallowed by many a communication from God the Father-God the Son-and God the Holy Ghost, was taken down, and this new house was built; and many a beam from that helped to erect and sustain this, the new temple, which was dedicated to the worship of Almighty God in 1826.
About the beginning of this century, there was a boy living in
110
HISTORY OF CORNWALL.
New Marlborough, Mass., by the name of S. J. Tracy. He was a wild and somewhat reckless youth, caring very little for religion, or its duties and obligations. He went out one Sabbath day with a company of young persons for a pleasure sail on a pond near where he lived. While they were thus enjoying themselves a sudden and severe gust of wind struck them, the boat was capsized, and those in it were thrown into the water. Two or three were drowned, and we think two were saved. Young Tracy was one of the rescued ones. He was deeply affected by the event. He was led to feel that the command, " Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy," could not, with impunity, be violated. He made haste to seek pardon of an offended God, whose law he had broken. He became a Christian, and studied for and became a minister of the Gospel of Christ.
In the orderings of Providence it so happened that, soon after Rev. Mr. Smith left, this same Mr. Tracy was invited here to preach. We expect that, from the day the foundations of this house were laid until the present, there has never been preached, from this pulpit, in one day, two sermons which so aroused and stirred up the people as did those preached by Mr. Tracy on that Sabbath. They were eloquent, searching, and sharp as a two-edged sword.
The society was stirred from its center to its circumference. After a brief time Mr. Tracy was hired to supply the pulpit. Meetings were multiplied, religious interest increased. On an appointed day members of the church, in committees of two, visited all the families in the several school districts. At evening all gathered in this house, the presence of the Infinite seemed to fill the place, and it became as the gate of heaven to many souls. For thirty weeks the work went on with power, forty-nine were added to the church, fifteen of them being heads of families, and twenty-six children were baptized. Among those who then joined the church were Col. Anson Rogers, Jehial Nettleton, William and Ithamer Baldwin, J. P. Brewster, N. R. Hart, H. L. Rogers, D. M. Rogers, F. Bradford, N. Hart, Jr., D. Miner, Jr., and others.
Much fallow ground in this moral vineyard was then broken up which has continued to bear fruit to this day.
In 1840, Rev. Joshua L. Maynard was introduced here by Rev. A. B. Pratt, they having been students together in the Theological Seminary in New York. Mr. Maynard proved to be an acceptable
111
ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.
preacher, a call was given him, and he was installed as pastor of this people January 14, 1841, on a salary of five hundred dollars.
He was a man of ardent piety, consistent in his daily walk and conversation, and his sermons were filled with the spirit of the gospel of Christ. In Bunyan's " Pilgrim's Progress " we have this description of a faithful minister:
" In the house of Interpreter, Christian saw a picture of a very grave person hung against the wall, and this was the fashion of it: "It had eyes lifted up to heaven, the best of books was in his hand, the law of truth was written on his lips, the world was behind his back; he stood as if he pleaded with men, and a crown of gold did hang o'er his head."
We think this as applicable to Mr. Maynard as to any of the ministers who have been settled here. He plead earnestly with men that they be reconciled to God, and his pleadings were not in vain. There were frequent seasons of more than usual religious interest, and in 1846 there was a more extensive work of grace than this society had previously enjoyed. Its first development became manifest in a series of prayer meetings held at the resi- dence of Deacon Wadsworth. The work spread rapidly. Inquiry meetings were multiplied. They were thronged. The pastor's hands seemed more than full with his abundant labors. The deacons asked him if he would not have ministerial help from abroad. He said " No ! If the church members will do the praying, I will do the preaching," and thus they worked on.
On the first Sabbath in May, sixty-four persons united with the church. Five had united at the previous communion in March, five more came in during the summer, making seventy-four in all, thirty-six males and thirty-eight females, who joined the church as the result of that deeply interesting winter's work.
Among these were George Wheaton, Julius Hart, D. L. Rogers, John W. Beers, Ralph I. Scovill, Samuel Scovill, 2d, etc. In 1851, there was another season of general religious interest, and forty united with us on profession of their faith, and seven by letter.
The whole number admitted to the church during the eleven years of Mr. Maynard's ministry was one hundred and sixty-three persons.
In the spring of 1852 he had a call to East Douglass, Mass., which he accepted, and was dismissed from here. Mr. Maynard
112
HISTORY OF CORNWALL.
was an earnest, devoted pastor, and he served us faithfully and well.
From 1852 to 1855 ministerial candidates came in quick succes- sion. We remember Mr. Russell, with his eloquence; Mr. Bradley, and his sermon to "the little foxes that spoil the vines," many of which are still running around here; Mr. Bartlett, with his strong logical presentation of divine truth; Mr. Peck, Mr. Aikman, etc.
In 1855 a call was given to the Rev. Wm. B. Clarke, of New Haven, and he was installed May 4th of that year on a salary of seven hundred dollars. The next winter there was another revival, as the result of which thirty persons united with the church.
During that winter extra meetings were held at Deacon Wads- worth's, Deacon E. D. Pratt's, Harvey Baldwin's, Wm. Stoddard's, and Deacon Gibbs's.
Most of these were solemn, impressive meetings. Those at Dea- con Gibbs's will be remembered by those who attended them as being peculiarly so.
There were other seasons during Mr. Clarke's ministry when there was more than usual religious interest, but nothing of a very marked character.
In 1859, Mr. Clarke wished to go to Europe and the Holy Land. He asked for a dismission, which was granted May 18th of that year.
Mr. Clarke was a man of refined taste-of great purity of char- acter-kind and generous in his disposition-an earnest Christian, and.of much ability in his pulpit ministrations.
He left with us two memorials which will long perpetuate his name here. One is our Church Manual, of which he is the author; the other, the elms in front of the meeting-house, which he planted with his own hands.
As future generations shall read the one, or recline under the shade of the other, they will revere his memory.
Very soon after Mr. Clarke left, Rev. Chas. Wetherby of New Haven, Vermont, was introduced here, and preached for us two or three Sabbaths. On the 2d of July, 1859, the church and society gave him a call to settle.
He accepted the same, and was installed on the 28th of Septem- ber of that year, on a salary of eight hundred dollars. His style of preaching was attractive and interesting, and our congregation increased in numbers under his ministry.
There was very soon an increase of religious interest, and in the
113
ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.
winter of 1859-60 there was another revival throughout the parish, and in the spring, forty-one were added to the church.
In the winter of 1861-2, there was another revival, as the result of which about twenty united with the church. At this time a very large proportion of the congregation were members of the church. One of the subjects of this revival (John B. Sedg- wick), in his examination for admission into the church, said he was told, about the time that he came over to North Cornwall to live, that they would have him into the church before he had been there a year, and his reply at the time was, "I guess not." But the prediction was about to prove true, and he thanked God that it was so.
In 1864 and 1865, there was another season of special religious interest, out of which came eighteen persons who united with the church. One great benefit of this revival was the renewed spirit- ual life that it infused into many members of the church.
They seemed to attain to a higher elevation in their christian life and experience, and to become more efficient workers in their Master's vineyard. Mr. Wetherby received a call from the church and society at West Winsted, and was dismissed from here June 3, 1866. Mr. Wetherby was a man of warm affections and many generous impulses. Being an extensive reader, he gathered up many things new and old, and so wove them into the web of his thought as to instruct and edify his people. His great strength lay in his pulpit labors, which were often eloquent and forcible. Being sustained by an energetic, working church, his labors here were crowned with abundant success.
In 1860, the premises now occupied as a parsonage, with the lecture room in connection with the same, were bought of A. S. Rogers, and appropriated to the uses for which they were purchased.
On the 7th of March, 1867, Rev. Jesse Brush of Vernon, Conn., came, and he was invited to become our pastor. Accepting the call, he removed here with his family, and was installed on the 20th of June of that year, on a salary of eleven hundred dollars and use of parsonage. An effort was made to have the installation servi- ces on this occasion conducted entirely by those who had been our former pastors. It however failed in part in that respect. Rev. Chas. Wetherby preached the sermon, and the charge to the pastor was by Rev. Wm. B. Clarke, then at Litchfield, Conn. Commenc- ing with the week of prayer, in January of 1867, there was an increase of religious interest, which continued along through the
15
114
HISTORY OF CORNWALL.
winter. There were some conversions, but the fallow ground did not get broken up, and there were no very marked results. In March the condition of things was such that it was thought best to invite the Evangelist, Rev. J. D. Potter, to come and aid in the work. He came in April, and a continued series of meetings were held. The attendance was large, and there were very soon marked indications of the Divine Presence. Cases of conviction and conversion were multiplied, and a goodly number rejoiced in a new-born hope in Christ. The closing meeting of the series was very impressive. The house was full of people, and when at its close they all rose and sang the familiar hymn,
" Shall we gather at the river, Where bright angel feet have trod,"
it seemed as though none could willingly leave the place un- reconciled to God. As the result of that revival forty-two persons united with the church. The additions during Mr. Brush's ministry were seven by letter and fifty by profession.
In June, 1873, Mr. Brush received a call from the church and society at Berlin, Conn., and he was dismissed from here on the 23d of that month. Mr. Brush wrote a good sermon. He was pleasant and genial in society, attentive to all parish work, and all honored and respected him. His wife was gifted with many qualifications for her position, and was an efficient co-worker in all duties pertaining to the ministry that came within her scope.
In December following Mr. Brush's departure, Rev. Chas. N. Fitch, of Geneva, Ohio, and from the Theological Seminary at New Haven, came to preach for us. The people were pleased with him, and with his wife also, who was a daughter of Hon. James Monroe, a prominent member of Congress from Ohio. Mr. Fitch continued to supply the pulpit, and on the 14th of February, 1874, a call was given him to settle, which he accepted, and his installa- tion was on the 12th of the next May. His salary was to be $1,000 and use of parsonage, with a summer vacation of four Sabbaths. Dr. Eldridge of Norfolk preached the installation sermon ; right-hand of fellowship by Rev. Mr. Bonney of Falls Village; charge to pastor by Rev. Wmn. E. Bassett of Warren; charge to the people by Rev. J. B. Bonar of New Milford.
Mr. Fitch proved to be an active, earnest worker, with an eye to all parts of the parish, and a good degree of executive force, in the exercise of which he succeeded to a good degree in bringing
115
ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.
the latent force, in the members of the church, into a harmonious working channel, for the upbuilding of the Redeemer's Kingdom in our midst. His work has not been in vain. In the winter of 1875-6 there was an increased religious interest in the church, especially during and after the week of prayer on the first of January. The indications were such that it was thought best to invite the Litchfield Northwest Conference to hold a meet- ing here. The appointment for it was made to be held in West Cornwall on the 26th of January. Most of the churches were repre- sented, and there was a large attendance of the people in this vicinity. It was one of the memorable days in the history of our church. From the commencement of the meeting in the morning to its close late in the evening, there were increasing indications of the presence of the Holy Spirit. A sermon by the Rev. J. B. Bonar, in the evening, made a deep impression on many minds, and at the close of the services a deep solemnity rested upon the entire assembly. A winter of active religious and revival work followed this meeting, and fifty persons united with the church as the fruits thereof. Since Mr. Fitch commenced his ministry, sixty- nine persons have thus joined us. As an educator and trainer of young converts into the work and experience of a christian life, Mr. Fitch has excelled.
For a long time there has been a pressing need for a better place for holding meetings in West Cornwall than they have had- Several of our pastors, previous to Mr. Fitch, have urged its im- portance, and repeated efforts have been made to obtain one, but without success. Soon after he came here, Mr. Fitch began to agitate the subject, but there was but little prospect of reaching the desired result. As a last resort he, with Deacon T. S. Gold, went to New York, and called upon C. P. Huntington, Esq., Vice- President of the Union Pacific Railroad, whose wife was a daughter of the late Wm. Stoddard of this place. The proposed building of a chapel as aforesaid was talked over with Mr. and Mrs. Hunt- ington, and they were requested to aid the effort. They responded favorably, and said if we would build the chapel, costing not less than twenty-five hundred dollars, they would pay the last one thousand of it, provided that cleared off all the indebtedness in- curred in its erection. Under the inspiration of this generous offer, the people here took hold of the work, the required amount was raised, the material has been purchased, contracts made, and the foundations are now (July, 1877) being laid, and we trust it will
116
HISTORY OF CORNWALL.
be completed in time so that the dedicatory services can form a part of these records. The names of C. P. Huntington and wife will ever be held in grateful remembrance by this people for their liberal aid in the erection of the chapel.
THE DEACONS.
Beriah Hotchkin and Phineas Waller were the first chosen deacons of this church, and they held the office until 1800. Then Hezekiah Clark and Jesse Hyatt were chosen. They resigned in 1807, and Eliakim Mallory and David Clark succeeded them. Mr. Clark died in 1811, and Titus Hart was chosen. Nathan Hart and Noah Rogers, 4th, were chosen in 1816. Mr. Rogers re- signed in 1836, on account of ill health, and James Wadsworth was elected. Messrs. Hart and Wadsworth resigned in 1854, and E. D. and R. R. Pratt were then chosen to fill the places thus vacated.
These deacons, on Sunday, Nov. 1, 1868, eighteen years after their appointment, resigned back to the church the positions it had so generously given them. The church seemed unwilling to release them, and an arrangement was made by which they were to continue in the office three years, or until January 1, 1872. When that time arrived, by vote of the church, a limitation was put to the official term of the diaconal office, and T. S. Gold and E. M. Rogers were elected deacons for five years.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.