Historical records of the town of Cornwall, Litchfield County, Connecticut;, Part 2

Author: Gold, Theodore Sedgwick, 1818-1906, ed
Publication date: 1904
Publisher: [Hartford, Conn.] The Case, Lockwood & Brainard company
Number of Pages: 594


USA > Connecticut > Litchfield County > Cornwall > Historical records of the town of Cornwall, Litchfield County, Connecticut; > Part 2


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48


These are all the residences of the first settlers of Cornwall, on the list of 1740, that are well authenticated.


14


HISTORY OF CORNWALL.


In 1744, we find additional settlers.


Samuel Benedict, from Danbury, lived opposite K. Birdseys'.


Benjamin Dibble, from Stamford, near Seth Dibble's farm.


William Joyner, near R. M. Rexford's on Cream Hill.


Amos Johnson, from Branford, near the late residence of Earl Johnson.


Thomas Orton, from Litchfield, lived near the Sedgwick farm.


Joseph Pangborn, from Stamford, lived near Hart's Bridge, south of the mill, West Cornwall.


Samuel Robards, from Colchester, lived thirty rods east of Benja- min Catlin's. (Niles Scoville, 1877.)


Patrick Hindman, a foreigner, settled near John Hindman's. (Tyler Miner, 1877.)


Abraham Raymond, from Norwalk.


Joseph Peck lived where Stiles Peck last lived.


In 1748, Jonathan Hurlburt, east of Sedgwick's.


Jacob Bronson, from Norwalk, near the late Wm. Stoddard's. (Peter Fritz, 1877.)


Israel Moss lived where Ezra Taylor lives: was a merchant.


The list for 1742 is the oldest extant, and a complete copy is here given. It is written on a single sheet of foolscap paper-hav- ing on one page C, I, K, E, F, D, R, in water lines, and on the other, a large shield, the design on which is not very plain. Whole No. of Polls, 52; horses, 43; cows, 52; oxen, 41; young cattle, 9; swine, 21.


A General List made on Polls and other Rateable Estate in Corn- wall, in the year of our Lord 1742.


A .- Sam1 Abbott, one head, 18; two cows, 6; 2 3-year olds, 6; one mare, 3; one swine, 1 .- 34.


Dan1 Allen, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; two cows, two horses, 12; one 2-years old steer, 2; one yearling heifer, 1; five swine, 5 .- 46.


Joseph Allen, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; two cows, two horses, 12; one swine, 1 .- 39.


B .- Elea" Barrett, one head, 18; one mare, two cows, 9 .- 27.


Benj" Bissell, one head, 18; one cow, 3 .- 21.


David Baldwin, one head, 18; one cow, one horse, 6 .- 24. John Blinn, one head .- 18.


Thos Ballard, one head, one horse, one cow .- 24.


15


GENERAL LIST.


C .- John Clothier, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; two horses, 6; two cows, 6 .- 38.


Wm. Chittester, one head, 18; two horses, one cow, 9 .- 27.


D .- John Dibbell, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; two cows, one horse, 9; one yearling, one swine, 2 .- 37.


Benj" Dibbell, one head, 18; a house lot, 3; one cow, one horse, 6; one yearling colt, 1; one swine, 2 .- 30.


James Douglass, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; two cows, 6; one horse, 3 .- 35.


Reuben Dean, two heads, 36; two oxen, 8; three cows, 9; three horses, 9 .- 62.


E .- Woodruff Emmons, one head, 18.


F .- David Frisbie, one head, 18.


G .- Nath1 Green, two polls, 36; one ox, 4; one horse, 3 .- 43.


Thos. Griffis, two heads, 36; two oxen, 8; two cows, two horses, 12 .- 56.


H .- George Holloway, one head, 18; five oxen, 20; two cows, 6; one horse, 3 .-- 47.


John Holloway, one head, 18.


Benja" Hough, one head, 18; two horses, one cow, 9; one swine, 1 .- 28.


Thom. Harris, two heads, 36; two cows, 6; one horse, 3 .- 45.


Moses Harris, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; one cow, three swine, 6 .- 32.


Samuell Horsford, one head, 18.


J .- Nath1. Jewell, one head, 16; one mare, one cow, 6 .- 24.


Joshua Jewell, two heads, 36; two oxen, 8; three cows, 9; two horses, 6; one swine, 1 .- 60.


David Jewell, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; one cow, one horse, 6 .- 32.


L .- Richª Lovejoy, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; two cows, 6; one horse, 3 .- 35.


Stephen Lee, one head, 18; one horse, 3 .- 21=557.


M .- Math" Millard, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; three cows, 9; horse, 3 .- 38.


Sam1 Messinger, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; two cows, 6; one one horse, 3; one 2-years old, 2; three swine, 3 .- 40.


Peter Mallory, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; one cow, two horses, 9; one swine, 1 .- 36.


N. 0.


16


HISTORY OF CORNWALL.


P .- James Pickett, one head, 18; two horses, one cow, 9 .- 27.


Tim' Pangborn, one head, 18; one horse, 3; one cow, 3; two yearlings, 2 .- 26.


Benoni Palmeter, one head, 18.


Q.


R .- Sam1 Robards, one head, 18; one cow, 3; one mare, 3 .- 24.


T .- Thos Tanner, one head, 18; a yoak of oxen, 8; two cows, 3; one horse, 3 .- 42.


Wmn. Tanner, one head, 18.


Eben' Tyler, one head, 18.


U.


S .- Jonath" Squier, three heads, 54; two oxen, 8; two horses, 6; one cow, 3; one swine, 1 .- 72.


Reuben Squier, one head, 18; two oxen, 8; one horse, 3 .- 29.


William Smiley, one head, 18=406.


W .- Phins Walker, one head, 18; one ox, 4; one horse, 3 .- 25. John Young, one head, 18; one cow, 3 .- 21.


The sum of the several footings, 46


406


557


424


1433


The sum totall of this list made by us,


JONATHAN SQUIER, - NATHI GREEN, Listers.


SAML MESSINGER,


In 1745 there were in the list two less than in 1742, and three less than in 1744.


In 1748 there were seventy persons in the list, and the property amounted to £3,054 18s. Jonathan Squire had the largest list of any one in town, being £109 18s. Matthew Millard stood next, being £99 2s. John Dibble was next, £93. Next was Thomas Orton, £79 14s. Next was Joshua Jewell, £77. The next was James Douglass, £68. Several were as low as five pounds.


SURFACE OF THE TOWNSHIP, HILLS, VALLEYS, LAKES, AND STREAMS.


In the northwest part of the town is a high hill called Hough Mountain, from Mr. Hough, who settled in that vicinity. Follow- ing the Housatonic River south, a valley is crossed, through which runs a small trout brook, when we come to another hill, called


17


SURFACE OF THE TOWNSHIP.


Rugg Hill, named after a man by the name of Daniel Rugg, who built a house there, and occupied it for a few months.


Going south from Rugg Hill across a small stream, we find Waller Hill, at the foot of which lived Deacon Waller, near the place of Mr. Judson Adams. About half a mile south from his house we find another large hill, properly called Tower Dale. This noble name, thus written by the early settlers, has degenerated, in common speech, into the insignificant title of Tarrydiddle. Its north and western side is precipitous and mostly wooded, while its eastern and southern slope is nice farming land. Going in the same direction, but a little farther removed from the river, we find Buck Mountain, so called from the great number of deer that used to be found there. The northeastern part of this elevation is terminated by a conical and steep hill known by the name of The Cobble.


The first hill below West Cornwall, and nearer the river, was called Green Mountain before it became denuded of its pines and hemlocks, which in early times covered it densely. Then next south and easterly lies a long and high hill called Mine Mountain, from the minerals it was supposed to contain. Cream Hill, lying in the north-middle part of the town, received this appellation from the superiority of its soil and beauty of scenery. A pretty lake lies at its foot, and in fair view from its southern aspect, called Cream Hill Lake. North from this lake is a high range called Pond Hill. East of this is the Great Hollow extending over four miles, nearly north and south, called, in the northern part, Sedy- wick Hollow, and Johnson Hollow in the southern. A high and steep mountain range lies at the northwest of Sedgwick Hollow, called Titus Mountain, and was so named from a young man of that name who, with others, was amusing himself in rolling rocks down the steep side of the mountain, and who had the misfortune to break his thigh.


South of Cream Hill rises an isolated hill of no great height, but rough and uncomely, to which is given the name of Rattlesnake Hill. I set down here the tradition of fifty rattlesnakes killed at one time on this hill, lest the story grow larger and tax our credu- lity too much as to the origin of the name. This raid was too much for the snakes, as none have been found there in the period of authentic history.


That such vermin were not unknown to the early settlers, the


3


18


HISTORY OF CORNWALL.


following resolution adopted at a town meeting held Dec. 17, 1745, will show:


Voted, That two shillings should be given for each rattlesnake tail that shall be killed within the bounds of this town, by any of the in- habitants of it, from this time to the fifth of June, to such persons as shall bring said tails and rattles to either of the selectmen of this town


The hill up which the road from Cornwall to Goshen winds is named Bunker Hill, from the residence on it of Rufus Bunker, an Indian of the Schaticoke tribe ; an old and honest man whose name is associated with a more enduring monument than the pyra- mids of Egypt. North and easterly of this hill is situated Red Mountain, so named from the color of the oak-leaves in the autumn when touched by the frosts. Southerly is Clark Hill, so called from a family of that name who removed nearly one hundred years since from Hartford to that locality. Southeasterly from Clark Hill is the most elevated land in the State, lying mostly in Goshen, from the apex of which is a view of Long Island Sound. This elevation is called Mohawk Mountain. Southeast of Cornwall Plain, forming a part of the same range as Clark Hill and Mohawk Mountain, lies Great Hill. Three hundred acres of land given by the General Assembly to Yale College, is located here, and goes by the name of College land. Bloody Mountain, so named from a bloody tragedy not enacted there, lies north of the Old Goshen and Sharon turnpike, northwest from the center of the town.


In the southeast part of Cornwall is a high range called Wood- bury Mountain. West of this, and separated from it by a deep gorge, is Dudley Town Hill, so called from a family of that name among its early settlers, late the residence of Caleb Jones. North of this elevated neighborhood is Coll's-foot Mountain, which rises boldly from the beautiful valley, formerly called Pine street, then the Plain, where is the pleasant village of Cornwall.


From the summits of many of these hills extensive and mag- nificent views are presented, extending west of the Hudson River and over a large share of Berkshire County, in Massachusetts. There are many other minor hills the beauty and picturesque appearance of which, to be fully appreciated, must be seen.


Cream Hill Lake, in the north part of the town, and Mohawk Pond in the southeast, and the Housatonic River-River of the Moun- tains-forming the western boundary, give life and character to the scenery, which is never perfect without water views. Small streams are numerous, the most important of which are the North


19


NATURAL CONDITION OF CORNWALL.


Mill Brook, having it's source in Cream Hill Lake, and flowing southwesterly three miles to the Housatonic, with a descent of sev- eral hundred feet; the South Mill Brook, rising in the hills about Cornwall Plain, and flowing southwest into the Housatonic; the Hallenbeck, rising in the Great Hollow and flowing north westerly through Canaan to the Housatonic. These are good mill streams, furnishing permanent water-power, but the Housatonic, in its whole course by the side of the town, flows rapidly, and might form the basis of active industry. But a very small part of the power of this river is yet utilized in any part of its course. These streams are all fed by abundant, never-failing springs, so that the name of " the sweet water country " may most aptly be applied to this township.


NATURAL CONDITION OF CORNWALL.


Cornwall, as a township, is irregularly hilly and mountainous. Thick forests covered its whole area. When the question of a county seat was early agitated, and Cornwall put in her claim for the honor, " Yes," it was said, "go to Cornwall and you will have no need of a jail, for whoever gets in can never get out again." The old divine who, passing through Cornwall, delivered himself of the following couplet, gave more truth with his poetry than is consid- ered essential:


" The Almighty, from his boundless store, Piled rocks on rocks, and did no more."


Another authority attributes it to Dr. Dwight, President of Yale College, who came up to look after the college lands and thus expressed himself:


" The God of Nature, from his boundless store, Threw Cornwall into heaps, and did no more."


While the surface is so much broken, there is but little waste land, for even the steepest sides of the mountains furnish wood and timber. None have proved inaccessible to the collier, and but few bits of original forest remain as samples of the timber that clothed these hills and darkened the valleys.


Most of the timber was oak, chestnut, hickory, and other hard woods, which sprout readily when cut over, thus renewing the forest growth unless the fields are subdued by cultivation. The great Hollow abounded in the white pine, but this was especially the prevailing tree on the Plain, hence called Pine Street. Some


-


20


HISTORY OF CORNWALL.


noble specimens of this forest remain; one grove adjoining on the southeast of the village of Cornwall. No other village in the State has such a treasure in the way of a natural park. Such a dense growth of lofty pines is rarely seen in any part of our country.


Though the surface is rough and encumbered with rocks and stones, yet it is very fertile, yielding fruit, grain, and grass in abundance to the hand of culture. Only forty years ago the notion of using a mowing machine on these hills would only have excited laughter, for not one single acre was cleared so that it could operate. Now they are a necessity upon every principal farm.


For many years after the settlement of the town, markets were so remote that it was for the interest of the farmer to raise every- thing he needed for his family on the farm and to sell but little. A generous but stubborn soil thus yielded an abundance for the necessities of its inhabitants; but in the current of events other towns found more easy access to market and this was left in the background. The Housatonic Railroad, opened in 1840, again gave an impulse to our industry, and the dairy, to which the soil is well adapted, took precedence as a farm industry. Though the experience of thirty years has greatly improved onr dairy products, yet it is safe to say, that more knowledge and skill, which already exists, if generally applied on our farms producing butter and cheese, would add at least twenty-five per cent. to their net returns.


MINERALS AND MINING.


The rocky surface of Cornwall gave large indications to the early settlers of mineral wealth, and the township was named after the rich mining region in the old country.


Mine Mountain, near the Housatonic, south of West Cornwall, presented rich promise of plumbago or black lead, and a consider- able excavation was made in the rock for it, even before the time of the Revolution. The principal vein runs downward and grows narrower, so that although the plumbago is of excellent quality it cannot be obtained in paying quantities, and after repeated trials at subsequent periods the search has been abandoned.


On Cream Hill, James Douglas dug two mines, one for gold and the other for silver. The gold mine was one hundred and twenty feet deep, and drained by four sets of pumps and a deep ditch. Tradition is that the assayists returned a small button of gold as


21


MINERALS AND MINING.


obtained from the ore, which appears to have been iron pyrites, and may have been gold bearing. The mine was abandoned temporarily, not because their hopes were gone but means were exhausted. The labor of excavating one hundred and twenty feet in solid rock, with necessary drainage, if applied to the surface would have gone far towards its amelioration.


The silver mine, of sixty feet, was in the hill near the school house. Large quantities of magnetic iron ore were thrown out. which were afterwards carried away and worked up in the old forge near the present residence of Chauncey Baldwin.


This work was all done in the last century; but in my boyhood I remember Captain Holmes, an old English miner, who had worked in the mine, and was still full of faith in its value, and was anxious to have it reopened. He had seen a vein of silver ore, but the warnings of those who had buried their fortunes in these enterprises prevented any farther explorations .*


About 1860, at the urgency of a friend, we opened this mine to a depth of forty feet, but found nothing of interest but a wheelbar- row made entirely of wood and a pump of the same material; with new valves the latter did excellent service in removing the water.


About the same date a company from New York purchased the adjoining field, and by blasting obtained samples of nickel ore, but have prosecuted their enterprise no farther.


Search has been made in various places for iron ore, but no workable deposits have been found.


About 1860 a deposit of porcelain clay was found in the south part of the town, and extensive buildings were erected for prepar- ing it for market. The supply soon failed and the works were abandoned.


Granite of excellent quality abounds, but it is only near the South Cornwall cemetery that it has been wrought for monumental uses. Large blocks are there obtained of fine grain and free from blemish.


Quarries of limestone, suitable for use in smelting iron, have


* Captain Holmes having been disappointed in his search for mineral wealth, became a hermit, building himself a cabin near the spring by the side of the road on the Blakeslee Hill. Here he lived many years by himself, cultivating a garden and working ont among the farmers to obtain the necessaries of life. Too sensitive and too proud to return to his friends or to ask assistance of them, he died about fifty years since in the poor-house in Salisbury, in which town he had gained a residence.


22


HISTORY OF CORNWALL.


been opened near Cornwall Bridge, but have only been used for this purpose.


BRIDGES, ROADS, FERRY.


The Housatonic is now crossed by three bridges, maintained jointly with Sharon, two of wood and one of iron: one at West Cornwall, formerly Hart's Bridge; one at Cornwall Bridge; and one in the southwest part of the town, called Swift's Bridge. This latter was rebuilt in 1875 of iron, at a cost of $2,500, a single span, as it was difficult to maintain a pier from the ice.


CHICHESTER'S FERRY.


The river is fordable at low water in certain places; yet before bridges could be built a ferry was established and maintained for many years near Cornwall Bridge. Originally the rates for ferri- age were,-for man, horse, and load, one penny; footman, one-half penny; led horse, three farthings; ox or other neat kine, one penny; sheep, swine, or goats, one farthing.


The rates of ferriage afterwards were (Conn. Statutes, 1808,)- man, horse, and load, one cent four mills; footman, seven mills; led horse, one cent; ox or other neat kine, one cent four mills; sheep, swine, or goats, four mills. We are not informed how they made change, or as to the market value of the stock.


Roads were laid out of a liberal width, usually six rods, but in other respects the layout fails to command our respect. To get to the top of the highest hill by the shortest route and thence to the top of the next, seems to have been the chief object in view, and though many of these old roads have been discarded, yet the traveler, if he has any taste for engineering, still has an oppor- tunity to exercise his propensity. The old Sharon and Goshen turnpike crossed the town from west to east near the middle, and though relinquished as a turnpike and its gates removed in 1850, still it remains one of the chief avenues of travel. The Warren and the Washington turnpikes are still maintained as town roads, yet have lost their importance for travel. The town now maintains between eighty and ninety miles of road, at an annual cost of about $3,000. Natural difficulties, aggravated by bad location of our highways, impose a heavy tax to keep the roads passable; yet there is decided improvement in the majority. Fewer roads and better ones, at less total expense, should be our aim.


23


DRESS ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO .- INDIANS.


DRESS ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO.


The men and women of one hundred years ago might, to those of the present age, well appear strange, for their style of dress was very different from ours.


Gentlemen wore the cocked hat, leather breeches, long-skirted coat, a doublet with large metal buttons, broad round-toed shoes with massive buckles, in winter leggins and in summer the leg bare from the knee down. On Sundays the hair was crimped and powdered. A scarlet colored coat was not unfrequent, especially among the young men.


The ladies were distinguished by long waisted dresses, hoopskirts, high-heeled shoes, the hair crimped and powdered, when in full dress wearing a rich pink damask silk with a profusion of rich lace and other ornaments.


The manners of that day were as distinctly marked as the dress. The usual way of riding was on horseback; the gentlemen on the saddle, the lady on a pillion behind him. Wagons and carry-alls were unknown. Hospitality was held in high estimation by them, and a good degree of that same choice quality in character still holds a place among their descendants, and may it never be less. Their habits of living were plain and simple, but few luxuries were theirs. They were a temperate, industrious, bold, and hardy people. We may well be proud of such an ancestry, and should be careful not to disgrace them by our degeneracy.


INDIANS.


The Mohawks seem to have possessed this part of the state. We do not learn that they had any permanent settlement within our borders, yet the numerous arrow-heads and other relics turned up by the plowshare, show these to have been favorite hunting grounds. Occasionally the Indians from Bantam (Litchfield), Schaticoke (Kent), and Weatogue (Salisbury), hunted on the hills, and in fishing followed the Housatonic. From Bantam to Weatogue they maintained a trail or path which was well known to the first settlers. It crossed the great valley called the Hollow from south east to northwest about one hundred rods north of the residence of the late Samuel Johnson, and passed near a living spring where they were accustomed to encamp, and where occasionally have been found the remains of their domestic utensils. As a protection against them, and a place of refuge in case of attack, a palisade fort was early


24


HISTORY OF CORNWALL.


erected near the residence of the late Judge Burnham. The alarm signal was three guns fired in rapid succession. An occasional lurking Indian kept them on the alert, but happily we have no out- rages to record.


One evening as James Douglass was on his way to the fort, from Cream Hill, having remained at work later than usual, his family having gone before, as he was passing through the low land, Pratt's meadow, then covered with a dense growth of timber, in a narrow foot-path, he discovered two Indians, one on either side of the path awaiting his approach. As Mr. Douglass had advanced too near to retreat before he saw them, he assumed a bold and daring manner and walked coolly between the two savages, who. remained without motion, being overawed by his fearless manner or out of respect to the courage he displayed, and offered him no molesta- tion.


They kept constant guard when at work in the fields, and when James Douglass and his sons were at work his daughters, [one my great grandmother-T. S. G.] often sat by the loaded guns to give the aların.


As a race they have passed away. The older inhabitants still remember several families of them, and the bravery of one gains him a place elsewhere in these records. (See William Coggswell.)


We are indebted to Gen. Chas. Sedgwick for the following sketch of the Indian


TOM WARRUPS.


This noble old Indian Warrior died in Cornwall early in the pres- ent century, and was well known throughout the township. In his old age his hair became perfectly white, and his visits to all parts of the town were frequent and acceptable, while his witty pleas- antries were long remembered. He was of the Schuticoke tribe but he became a resident of Cornwall in his early life. In the Revolutionary war he enlisted into a company commanded by Edward Rogers, Esq., as Captain, of which Loyal Tanner was Lieutenant; this company was in the battle of Long Island and shared in all the disastrous results of that conflict, and in the perils attending the retreat of the army from New York, Tom was always spoken of by his surviving comrades as a brave and daring soldier, ready for every duty and danger required by the service.


The following anecdote used to be told as illustrating his Indian character. After the retreat from New York the company was sta- tioned on the shore of the East River, and one morning a party of


25


FARMING AND FARMERS.


British went up the River in boats on a foraging expedition, and landed not far from the Cornwall company. Captain Rogers pro- posed that the company should attempt their capture, as the party was small and could probably be easily taken prisoners, and sub- mitting the proposal to the company, some favored and others dis- approved of it. When the question was asked Tom he said, I guess we had better kill what prisoners we now have before we try to get any more. He was celebrated for his ready wit, and stories of it were often related in the early years of this century.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.