USA > Indiana > Howard County > History of Howard County, Indiana, Vol I > Part 16
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33
James, going out to look for it, found it in the clutches of a wildcat, so he set two otter traps and the next morning went out and found that he had caught the wildcat. The next spring they found five bee-trees in an Indian sugar camp. These they cut down and by the use of moss strained out seventeen gallons of fine honey.
In that day wolf hides sold for seventy-five cents and scalps for one dollar and fifty cents. Wildcat hides sold for eight dol- lars, otter hides from six to nine dollars, and deer hides from fifty cents to one dollar each. In a history of Honey Creek township is found: "The early pioneers had very little to sell, and what they had could not be sold for money. Wild game and wild honey seem to have been the principal articles offered in exchange for the neces- sary commodities of life."
A BEE HUNTER.
Of one of the pioneer hunters and trappers of Union township it was said: "James Husted was an odd character, who achieved
219
OF HOWARD COUNTY.
quite a reputation among the early settlers as a successful bee hunter and trapper. He was an unmarried man and lived entirely alone in a little rail pen, which he built about two and a half miles east of Jerome. He made no improvements but spent all his time in the woods, trapping during the fall and winter season and hunting wild honey in the summer. From the sale of the furs and wild honey he realized considerable money, which he hoarded away with miserly care. He remained in this part of the country until the game became scarce, when he packed his few household goods and, with them on his back, departed for more congenial quarters fur- ther west."
Of the pioneers of Liberty township it is said: "The forest supplied the meat from the bountiful store of game, in quantity and quality according to demand. Deer were everywhere abundant and afforded the chief means of subsistence to many families during the first two or three years' sojourn in the woods. Jonathan Fisher states that in one year he killed one hundred and twenty-five within a few miles of his home. A man by the name of Ray was a hunter of considerable note and frequently killed four or five deer a day, of which he kept nothing but the hams and hides. The other parts of the carcass were given to anyone who desired them, or left in the woods to be devoured by the wolves. Wild turkeys were so plentiful as to be no rarity and were considered game not worth the ammunition required to kill them. An occasional bear was seen, but the majority of these animals had disappeared several years prior to the first settlement by the whites. A large one was killed a short distance east of Greentown in 1846, which weighed over four hundred pounds. This was the only one ever killed in the township so far as now can be learned."
Wolves roamed the woods in great numbers and proved very
220
MORROW'S HISTORY
destructive to stock. Farmers were obliged to build tight pens for their hogs and sheep; yet despite all their precautions an occasional lamb or porker would fall a prey to these gaunt scourges of the forest. In time, these animals disappeared, many of them being killed by the early settlers for the reward offered by the state for their scalps.
MONEY WAS SCARCE.
Money in those early days was a scarce article and many fami- lies were compelled to deny themselves the luxuries which today are classed as necessities. Deer skins, ginseng and maple sugar, of which large quantities were made every spring, were articles of commercial importance, by means of which many families kept themselves supplied with groceries, dry goods, etc.
In Howard township a man named Dix is recalled, who settled on the John Barnes farm and made a few improvements. He is remembered as a noted backwoodsman, whose greatest delight was hunting and trapping, which he followed very successfully. By the sale of deer skins, venison hams and wild honey, he managed to supply his family with what groceries and few articles of wearing apparel they needed, while he went clad in the conventional buck- skin garb common among the pioneer hunters sixty years ago. After game became scarce he sold out and went West.
MAPLE SUGAR INDUSTRY.
Reference has already been made to the fact that the making and sale of maple sugar was a not inconsiderable industry in pioneer times. Milton Garrigus states he and his father made eight hun- dred pounds of sugar and a barrel of molasses in the spring of
22I
OF HOWARD COUNTY.
1847 on their claim in Liberty township. He further states that the Indians delighted to make sugar and molasses in their immense sugar orchards and that on the tract where he "squatted," in 1847, there was an abundance of bark troughs and spiles, rude stables for ponies, big troughs for storing sugar water, where they had been used by the Indians for sugar making.
The only recorded instance of trouble between the Indians and the early white settlers grew out of Charles O. Fry, in Union town- ship, settling too near an Indian sugar camp a short distance south- west of Jerome. He erected his first cabin near an Indian sugar camp, which so exasperated the red men, who were in no wise friendly toward the settler, that serious results very nearly fol- lowed. The savages looked upon Fry's action as an encroachment, and gathering a number of their braves together, they rode through the country, tore down a number of newly-erected huts and unoccu- pied cabins, burned fences and seized the stock belonging to several settlers. Fry and Joseph Brown visited the Indian camp to make reparation for the offense committed, which was rather more easily effected than they expected. The chief said all would be well and no further depredations be committed, providing the white man ( meaning Fry ) would procure for them a load of hay for their ponies.
Brown and Fry were compelled to go to Marion for the hay, an undertaking attended with many difficulties, as they were com- pelled to cut their road through the woods for almost half of the distance.
The hay was unloaded at the Indian village in due time and thereafter all was peace between the red skins and settlers.
There were countless numbers of thrifty sugar trees all over the county, and if the county had had waste lands for their growth
222
MORROW'S HISTORY
and preservation, the maple sugar industry of Howard county would now outrival Vermont.
The truth of the matter is the lands of Howard county are too fertile to permit their use for industries that are leaders in other states.
HEAD OF THE HARDWARE BUSINESS.
Of the commercial industries of Howard county, the hard- ware firm now known as the Armstrong-Landon Company is easily at the head, both in point of continuous existence and in the volume of business transacted, having had a continuous existence of more than fifty years. Very few of the residents of Howard county now living can recall that small hardware establishment on the east side of the square just opened by the firm of Dr. J. A. James, Dr. Horace A. Armstrong and Addison F. Armstrong. That was in the spring of 1856. Two members of this new firm were prominent physician's of the growing town and the third was a young man just embark- ing in a business career that was to prove eminently honorable and successful and whose business enterprise was to be of uncalculable benefit to the future city of Kokomo in many ways. The senior member, Dr. J. A. James, combined in a marked degree the intelli- gent physician and the public-spirited citizen. These two men con- tributed largely to the development of Kokomo on a broad and enduring basis. Two years after the beginning of their business it had outgrown its room and they were compelled to seek more roomy quarters. Accordingly they moved to the Bohan and Ashley corner, where the K., M. & W. traction station now is, into a room sixteen by eighty feet, at that time the second largest business room in the village.
They continued to occupy this for four years, or until 1862,
223
OF HOWARD COUNTY.
and their business had increased so that they must have more room. They, therefore bought a lot on the east side of the square next to the southeast corner and began the erection of a three-story build- ing. When nearly completed this building was blown down by a tornado and in the downfall carried with it the storeroom occupied by the firm and also the Tribune office.
Undaunted by this double misfortune the firm immediately began to prepare to rebuild, and completed the new building the same year. They were, however, not through with misfortune, for in 1867 the block in which they were was destroyed by fire. They rebuilt the same year, but this time only a two-story building.
During 1867 the senior member, J. A. James, retired from business and was succeeded by Josiah Beeson, the firm name being Armstrong. Beeson & Company. Before another year had passed Dr. Horace A. Armstrong died and his interest was purchased by Dr. Edward A. Armstrong. For two years the firm remained under the old name, when Mr. Beeson sold his interest to Messrs. Zimri, Nixon and Isaac Ellis, and the name of the firm was changed to Armstrong, Nixon & Company. This firm continued until 1874. when the death of Mr. Nixon caused another change. The mem- bers composing the new firm were A. F. Armstrong, Dr. E. A. Armstrong, J. C. Pickett and George W. Landon, under the firm name of Armstrong, Pickett & Company. In the spring of 1875, the firm, finding their business increased to such an extent as demanded still further enlargement of their facilities, decided to erect a build- ing capable of accommodating it and began the construction of a storeroom opposite the southeast corner of the public square. It is sixty-six feet front on Sycamore street and one hundred and thirty- two feet long, and is four stories and a basement high, with heavy brick walls and stone foundation.
224
MORROW'S HISTORY
It is conveniently arranged and a building hard to surpass for the purposes for which it was erected.
KEEP A LARGE STOCK.
A large stock of the latest and best makes of farm machinery, builders' supplies, stoves and ranges, a stock of buggies and harness and a complete stock of general hardware is carried by the firm. In addition they have a tin shop and a full line of tin and galvanized iron supplies. Near by is a lumber yard, well stocked. They are thus enabled to supply the varied wants of a wide range of cus- tomers. They have a large, first-floor salesroom, thus providing their friends and customers with a comfortable waiting and rest- ing room.
January 1. 1883. Mr. Pickett retired from the firm and E. S. Hunt entered, and the name of the firm was changed to Armstrong. Landon & Company. In 1888 the firm name was changed to Arm- strong. Landon & Hunt Company. On the death of Mr. Hunt, some years later, the firm name was again changed to Armstrong. Landon & Company, which remains to the present time. A. F. Armstrong continued as president until his death about five years since. The present officers are: George W. Landon, president : Thomas C. Howe, vice-president; H. Neck Landon, secretary, W. A. Easter, treasurer.
When E. S. Hunt entered the firm in January, 1883, the Hunt lumber yard was taken over into the property and management of the company. This property consisted of an extensive lumber yard at the intersection of the P. C. & St. L. Railroad and Monroe street. Later the planing mill was added. The planing mill part of this industry seems to have had its beginning with the Hunt brothers.
225
OF HOWARD COUNTY.
Henry and Ezra, at New London, while the water power was abun- dant and the industrial future of New London was radiant with hope. Later, with the coming of the F. & K. Railroad, Russiaville gave promise of more substantial business returns and the planing mill was moved to that place. A few years later the Hunt brothers transferred the business to the location referred to in Kokomo. A little while prior to 1883 Ezra had come into the sole management of the lumber business by the retirement of Henry. Since taking control of this branch of their work they have developed and expanded it until it is one of the important parts of the county's industries. They are engaged in the manufacture of doors and sash, the dealing in all kinds of lumber, the manufacture of all kinds of building material for the interior finish of private residences. consisting of stairways, offices and bank work, and the contracting for the construction and erection of all kinds of buildings. The company has engaged extensively in the manufacture of interior work for churches, church seats and pulpits, having done work of this kind in various parts of the Union. Although this firm began business here in the infancy of the county, much earlier than any other firm, and has continuously engaged in the same business, and has at all times put push and vigorous business methods into it, they have not monopolized their lines of business.
PLANING MILL BUSINESS.
S. C. Moore built the S. C. Moore planing mill at the north- west intersection of the L. E. & W. Railroad and Jefferson street in 1874 and operated it until his death in 1905, a period of thirty years. During the last ten years his son, Edward S., was associ- ated with him, and the firm was S. C. Moore & Son. At the death
15
226
MORROW'S HISTORY
of the elder Moore, Elmer Danner became associated with Edward S. Moore and the firm is Moore & Danner, and do a general con- tracting business in connection with their mill business.
Since the organization of the first hardware firm there has been quite a number of others organized, and, after doing a good busi- ness for a number of years, for one reason or another have discon- tinued-George Hocker in the sixties, and later Bruner & Coate : Hutchings; Owen & Company, and others whose names are not remembered now. And so of the lumber business.
HEADING AND STAVE BUSINESS.
Prior to the discovery of natural gas in 1886, Lawrence Snider was probably the leading manufacturer of Kokomo, being in the heading and stave business. He purchased oak timber throughout Howard and adjoining counties and brought it to his factory at the north end of Kokomo and manufactured it into staves and head- ing, which he shipped to New York and Philadelphia. He began the business in 1878 and did ten thousand dollars' worth of work the first year and four years later increased it to seventy-five thou- sand dollars.
Of those engaging in manufacturing enterprises were W. H. Sumption and later W. H. Sumption & Son, who were engaged in the manufacture of buggies, carriages and spring wagons from 1870 to many years later. They employed a number of men and did good work and a good business.
MANUFACTURED BUGGIES.
Walter Hooper came to Kokomo in 1865 and erected a small blacksmith shop and began the manufacture of buggies. During his first year's business he sold one thousand, six hundred and sixty-
227
OF HOWARD COUNTY.
five dollars' worth of new work, and eight years later sold fourteen thousand five hundred and sixteen dollars' worth. He also made carriages, spring wagons and road wagons.
The oldest continuous dry goods store in Kokomo is the Bee Hive. This store was commenced in 1872 by Samuel Davis. The firm name was S. Davis & Sons and was one of the leading business firms of the city. By the withdrawal of Walter and the death of Samuel, Henry C. was left as sole proprietor. In the year 1901 Mr. Davis sold to William H. Turner, who has continued the busi- ness since.
Nearly thirty years ago Block & Thalman came to Kokomo and began merchandising on a diminutive scale, with a limited stock of notions and low-priced goods. By fair dealing and catering to the wants of the masses they rapidly built up a trade, and with the increasing trade they increased their stock in variety, quantity and quality until now they have probably the fullest stock and greatest variety of goods in the city.
The White House was built some eighteen years ago and has been extended across the alley since. The Kokomo Dry Goods Store is of considerably more recent date and does a fine business.
VARIOUS KINDS OF STORES.
Those whose memory goes back to the times immediately after the Civil war will recall the sign in front of the clothing store on the north side of the square and west of the alley which read, "D. Friday." Everybody then knew D. Friday and his obliging young clerk, King Kennedy. D. Friday's clothing store is the oldest in Kokomo today. D. Friday is no longer here to welcome his cus- tomers with a bland smile, and when he had put on a customer a coat two or three sizes too large for him, would take up the slack on
228
MORROW'S HISTORY
the back with his hand and declare that the coat was "shust a feat." King Kennedy has remained with the store and since the death of Mr. Friday has been the proprietor through the generosity of his friend.
The Finch-Pennington Company rank second as successors to Strickland & Company. Walter H. Davis ranks third in point of time.
In the fall of 1860 the industrial interest of Kokomo received a large accession in the coming of T. Jay and family, Rufus Dol- man and family, and Ithamer Russell and family. Soon after com- ing to Kokomo they entered into parnership and began several lines of business.
They established a packing plant on the east side of town next to the P., C. & St. L. Railroad, buying hogs and slaughtering them and curing and shipping the meat and lard. They continued this business for perhaps ten years. They also established and carried on an extensive grocery store establishment. They also bought grain at the Lake Erie elevators, known then as the Jay & Dolman warehouse. They also established a private bank, known as the T. Jay & Company banking house, which was continued until after the First National Bank was established in 1865.
Mr. Jay was prominent in the industrial life of Kokomo until his death. After his death the business was continued under the firm name of Russell, Dolman & Company. Some of their earlier lines of business were discontinued. Buying and shipping of grain was their chief business. Mr. D. P. Davis was their gentlemanly foreman at the elevator and was a very expert grain inspector.
Members of the firm held considerable stock in the First National Bank and were connected with the bank as officers.
229
OF HOWARD COUNTY.
MAKING BRICK.
The brick industry has been of more or less importance from very early times in the county. There has been an abundance of good clay in all parts of the county and in the earlier times cheap fuel everywhere-wood.
Captain Harry Stewart is the authority that his father, Henry C. Stewart, was the pioneer brick manufacturer of Kokomo. About the year 1847 he had a brickyard at the northeast corner of the intersection of High (Superior) and Buckeye streets. He obtained the clay for the bricks from Buckeye and Washington streets at the bluff of Wild Cat, the road supervisor allowing him to take the clay in making the cut for a roadway to the creek. The next year his brickyard was changed to the southwest corner of a six-acre tract of land lying just north of Walnut street, and whose western boun- dary was near Webster street. Wood was used for fuel. Mr. Stewart relates that instead of using the old-fashioned-as 110w known-mixing or tempering wheel, that oxen were used. They were driven round and round in the mud, tramping it until thor- oughly mixed. The oxen would step in the steps made in former rounds and thus would work the mud into ridges and ruts. To overcome this the driver would reverse the direction of the oxen. The first brick masons in Kokomo were John Albright and Harles Ashley, and the first brick buildings were built in 1848; one a store building on the corner where the Darby block now stands, and the other a blacksmith shop.
The limestone industry has also been of considerable importance from very early times. John and Charles Morrow, brothers, began the quarrying of building stone nearly sixty years ago on Pete's branch, near the present Defenbaugh stone quarry, on a somewhat limited scale, but sufficient to supply the demand for several miles
230
MORROW'S HISTORY
around. A little later they also began burning lime to supply a demand for that article in plastering and stone and brick building. The first lime was burned on log heaps. Logs twelve to sixteen feet in length were cut and piled in heaps four or five feet high and to a length of fifteen or twenty feet, and upon the top of this heap sev- eral wagon loads of limestone were heaped and then the log heap was fired. When the heap was well fired and the mass of stone became hot the popping and exploding of the unbroken stone was like diminutive artillery. This was allowed to burn down and cool and made a fair article of lime. Somewhat later two kilns were erected for burning lime, and a far better quality of lime was burned with less fuel. In later years the demand for the stone for various building purposes consumed practically all the stone quarried, and. being more profitable than the lime business, the burning of lime was discontinued.
The Morrow brothers sold to George W. Defenbaugh in the early sixties and he operated and developed the quarries until his death in 1906, doing an extensive business in building and crushed stone.
FIRST MACADAM STREETS.
When Kokomo began building macadam streets the demand for broken stone increased amazingly and a stone quarry was opened on the east s side of the L. E. & W. Railroad, about forty rods south of Wild Cat creek. A vast quantity of stone was taken out and hauled upon the streets and there broken by hand. After this was aban- doned another quarry was opened on the west side of the railroad opposite the abandoned quarry. A power stone crusher was intro- duced and the manufacture of crushed stone was commenced. This plant has been operated on an extensive scale for several years by
231
OF HOWARD COUNTY.
J. M. Leach & Company. The demand has been heavy the present season for crushed stone for shipping and home use in building macadam roads.
In recent years the K., M. & W. traction line opened a stone quarry on West Markland avenue, just west of Courtland avenue, for crushed stone for their railroad tracks.
During the past year L. B. Hodgin and others have operated and expanded the business of the plant until they have been com- pelled to operate it day and night and are now arranging to expend ten thousand dollars for new machinery and improvements.
Kokomo crushed stone is not only exclusively used at home, but is also shipped in large quantities to various parts of the state.
Following Henry C. Stewart in the making of brick have been many. Chief of these have been William B. Morgan, on the north side, and John M. Leach, on the south side. Mr. Morgan died several years since and his business has been discontinued.
Soon after Kokomo began her rapid growth, because of the discovery of natural gas in her midst, John M. Leach & Company, foreseeing the demand and perhaps already realizing it for a far greater supply of brick, erected a brick plant on the L. E. & W. Rail- road just south of the city and began the manufacture of brick on a large scale, and found a ready market for his entire output. Several years since he had used all the clay within the immediate neighborhood of the plant and the company was compelled to go back from the plant to buy clay and to ship it to the plant. For shipping purposes they operate a dummy railroad, having a small locomotive and a number of small railroad dump cars. For sev- eral years they used natural gas for fuel in burning bricks; a few years since they changed to coal.
The firm of J. M. Leach & Company do an ice business also. They began with the cutting of natural ice, first building an ice-
232
MORROW'S HISTORY
house above the city near the Ohio street bridge, and another at the north end of the stone quarry on the west side of the railroad. About fifteen years since they began the manufacture of artificial ice, using the natural ice to supplement the artificial in supplying the trade. Soon they were able to supply the demand with the artificial ice and they discontinued the storing of natural ice. Their original factory was on the south side of Wild Cat creek, near the east side of the Lake Erie Railroad. Their business had so increased that in the year 1903 they built a large, substantial brick building fronting on Main street and east of the original one for their ice factory. This is a modern, up-to-date ice factory.
In the manufacture of ice they use distilled water taken from a well drilled eighty-five feet into the limestone. The stratum of water at this level seems to be inexhaustible. A test, made in 1901, near the ice plant well, of two eight-inch wells in this water stratum. showed that, pumping at the rate of two million gallons of water every twenty-four hours, the water could not be lowered below a given level. This test was made to determine the location of a mu- nicipal waterworks plant.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.