USA > New Jersey > Somerset County > Raritan > Forty years at Raritan : eight memorial sermons with notes for a history of the Reformed Dutch churches in Somerset County, N.J. > Part 19
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30
"The revival spoken of was, in truth, one of the most blessed and re- markable works of grace of which we have any record. It took place while the church was without a pastor, and in its continuance and progress depended for guidance very much upon the elders of the church. They comlucted the prayer-meetings, supplied the church with the kind of preaching needed, and in Rev. Truman Osborn found the very man required. Ile had a talent for exhortation, for conver- sation with the anxious, for family visitation. IIe went from house to house, and attended meetings for prayer and instruction, almost every day. IIe seemed to understand just what was to be done, and did it, making himself a blessing indeed to many."
Among its striking results were, not cily the large number of hopeful converts, but their consistency afterward. Only three gave occasion of discipline, after uniting with the church; and a very large proportion lived and died in the exemplification of the better and higher type of Christian character. Of the number given above, it is also remarkable that 23 were colored persons, residing as servants in the different families of the congregation. Indeed, the number of colored people belonging to the church in Somerville at this time, and for some years afterward, is too remarkable to be left in silence. On one occasion, as the writer of this remembers perfectly, there came 68 such persons from the galleries and sat down at the Lord's table. It was a custom in many of the households to have their servants al- ways present at family worship, and to insist on their constant attend- ance on public worship on Sabbath day. The results noticed are, therefore, only such as ought to have been expected from their train- ing and example.
. Mr. Vredenburgh's remains are covered by what is known as "the Ministers' Tomb " in the Raritan Cemetery, on which is the following inscription : "Rev. John S. Vredenburgh departed this life October 14th, 1821, aged 55 years, 6 months, and 24 days. He was prudent, amiable, and devoted to the service of God. He labored successfully in this gospel vineyard 21 years, sowing inch seed and watering it with tears. His work being finished, the Lord of the harvest came
203
HISTORICAL NOTES.
and gathered in many souls which will appear as his erowns of rejoic- ing in the last great day. What I do thou knowest not now, but thou shalt know hereafter."
From October, 1821, until January, 1826, more than four years, the church remained vacant. On the 25th of that month, the candidate, Richard D. Van Kleck, was conducted from New-Brunswick by two of the elders, and welcomed to Somerville, after having accepted the call. IIe continued to serve the church after his ordination, until the 5th day of August, 1831, when, on account of ill-health, he resigned his charge.
He was a native of Poughkeepsie; graduated at Union College with honor in the class of 1822. In the autumn of the same year, having been a convert in the revival in the college in the winter of 1819 and 1820, lie entered the Theological Seminary at New-Brunswick, and was licensed by the classis of New-Brunswick in May, 1825. It was probably not wise in the congregation to call a young man, nor prudent in him to accept their eall. The duties of so large a charge proved to be so exhausting, that his health soon began to suffer; and, not too soon to save a little remaining strength, he laid down the onerous burden. IIe had, and left behind him, many warm friends; but none of them could say that he had not done wisely. Ile went to Basking Ridge and taught the academy, left vacant by the removal of Dr. Brownlee to a professorship in Rutgers College. In 1834, he assumed the pastorship of the church at Canajoharie, in the valley of the Mohawk. The next year he served the churches of Berne and Beaverdam, in the county of Albany. In 1843, he became principal of Erasmus Hall Academy, in the village of Flatbush, Long Island. In 1860, he went to Jersey City and taught a private classical school, and closed his life there May 27th, 1870.
Mr. Van Kleck was an accurate classical scholar, a man of literary culture, a good preacher, a gentleman; and in social life, genial, con- fiding, and agreeable. He had made many friends, and died generally lamented. He married, soon after his settlement at Somerville, Sarah Johanna Mellison, of New-Brunswick. One of their daughters became the wife of Rev. Mr. MaeNair. The widow resides in Jersey City. His remains were interred in Bayside Cemetery, at Communipaw, Bergen County, and on his tomb is inscribed: "To the memory of Rev. Richard D. Van Kleck, born October 30th, 1804, and died May 27th, 1870. Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord. Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors, and their works do follow them."
204
HISTORICAL NOTES.
In 1832, the present pastor was called, and began his labors no Sabbath, the 29th of October. He has been with his people in weak- ness and in strength; and his labor has not been in vain in the Lord ; and to God's name and grace be ascribed the glory. A pastorate embracing forty years is as much an honor to the people as to the laborer himself. No church, except one that is well ordered and that loves the Gospel, can possibly be satisfied with any one man so many years.
We append a list of the young men who have entered the ministry from the church. of Raritan: John Leydt, 1745 ; Ferdinandus Fre- linghuysen, 1753 ; Elias Van Benschoten, 1769; Matthew Leydt, 1778 ; Isaac Blauvelt, ditto; Rynier Van Nest, 1786; Conradt Ten Eyck, 1788 ; Jehiel Talmage, 1803 ; Isaac N. Wykoff, 1814 ; Brognn Huff, ditto; Jonathan Ford Morris, 1819; Ferdinand Vanderveer, 1820 ; Frederick F. Cornell, 1822 ; Garret J. Garretson, ditto ; James R. Talmage, 1822 ; Alexander M. Mann, ditto ; Abraham H. Dumont, 1823 ; Hugh G. Hedges, 1839, died just before receiving licensure ; John A. Todd, 1840 ; John Steele, 1842; George J. Van Neste, 1842 ; John Gaston, 1843; Nathaniel Conklin, 1843 ; and Augustus F. Todd, 1843. These dates mark the time when they united with the church.
NEW-BRUNSWICK: THE CHURCH OF THE RIVER AND LAWRENCE'S BROOK.
The church of New-Brunswick is properly the successor of the old church of Three-Mile Run. For some time after it came into exist- ence it was called the "Church of the River and Lawrence's Brook."
The time when the settlements began in New-Brunswick and its vicinity is fixed by the dates of the land titles. John Inians & Co. obtained a title to 10,000 acres of land, in June, 1781, at a place called by the Indians Ahanderhamock. November 10th, 1681, Injans secured a title for himself to 1280 acres of this tract, joining immedi- ately on the river. This purchase included the land on which the city of New-Brunswick was subsequently built. The first settlers are known to have come almost immediately after this date. They arrived (at least some of the first of them) as early as 1684. Several of them were Hollanders, or descendants of Hollanders; as, for
.
205
HISTORICAL NOTES.
instance, Hendrick Vroom, at the landing, George Andersen, Jacob Probasco, Nicholas Van Duyn, and others. Some were of Huguenot origin, as indicated by such names as La Priere, De Peyster, Rap- palje, La Montes, Montfort, Fanger, Le Queer, La Montague.
John Inians and wife obtained a license to ferry passengers over the river December 2d, 1697, paying an annual rent of five shillings sterling. This ferry, known long afterward as "Inians's Ferry," was in connection with one of the two earliest roads across the State, and at first this road was only a bridle-path. The other road ran from Amboy to Bordentown. Besides Inians, there were, soon after the above date, others who settled near him.
The first house for the worship of God in the connty of Somerset was built on " the old burying-ground," on the road to Six-Mile Run, about a mile and a half beyond the present limits of the city of New- Brunswick, and was known as the "Church at Three-Mile Run."* The date of the building and the organization of the church are not known. All the records, if there ever were any, have perished. Its form and appearance are also unknown, except from tradition. Some remnants of its foundation were visible a few years since. It stood, however, more than sixty years, and is said to have been at last destroyed by the British troops during the war of the Revolution. It was never finished, and is spoken of in 1729 as being in such a state as to render it questionable whether it could be used for reli- gious worship. The prominent elders of this organization seem to have been Hendrick Vroom and Frederik Van Lieuwen.
The earliest record referring to religious worship is in a subscrip- tion list, recently discovered by Ralf Voorhees, Esq., of Middlebush, on which are the following names, namely : Dollius Hageman, Teunis Quick, Hend. Emans, Thos. Cort, Jacobus Probasco, Neclas Wyckoff, Michael L. Moor, John Schedeman, Neclas Van Dyke, John Van . Houten, William Bennet, Folkerd Van Nostrand, Jacobns Bennet, Hendrik Fanger, Abram Bennet, Cornelins Petersen, Philip Folker- sen, Dave L. Draver, George Andersen, Stobel Probasco, Isaac L Priere, Simon Van Winkelen, Cobus Benat, Garret Oatman, Lucas Covert, Brogun Covert, William Van Duyn, Dennis Van Duyn, John . Folkersen, and Jost Benat. This subscription is dated 1703, and the amount is £10 16s. 6d. The object was to procure a minister from Holland to preach the Gospel to them. In addition to these names,
* On the road from Inians's Ferry to Trenton, called the King's Highway, there were rivulets called the Mile Run, Three-Mile Run, Six-Mile Run, Ten-Mile Run, each so many miles from the river, and crossing the road.
206
HISTORICAL NOTES.
at an early day we find the others, as Enoch Frelandt, John Van Nuise, Johannes Stoothoff, Gose Vandenbergh, Roelef Sebring, Hen- drik Bries, Martin Salem, Jacobus Ouke, Coert Van Voorhees, Roelef Voorhees, Isaac Van Dyke, Laurence Williamse, Peter Kinne, Steven Philips, Siba Mart, Cornelius Solems, Hendrik Vroom, and others.
In the mean time the settlement around " Inians's Ferry " had begun to increase into a town, and created a necessity for some place of worship for the families residing there. Accordingly, instead of finishing the old church at Three-Mile Run, they bent their energies to the erection of a new church in the town. The house was built, according to an old map of the city of New-Brunswick, previous to the year 1717. Dr. Steele thinks there is reason for believing it was as early as 1714. It stood on the corner of Burnet and Schureman streets. The building fronted the river, and, occupied the corner lot. It was a wooden structure, 50 feet in front and 40 feet in depth. There were seven pews on each side of the pulpit, and eight along the middle aisle-in all fifty pews, capable of seating 300 persons. It was only completed after standing several years, and the people worshiped in it for fifty years or more.
The project of transferring the worship from Three-Mile Run to the town on the river, did not proceed, however, without opposition, The old congregation was reluctant to part with its members who lived east and northeast of the church; and some of the people west of the church also resisted it. Several public meetings of the people were held to discuss the matter, but on the 12th of April, 1717, a decision was reached. It was recorded in the following words : " In order to prevent disturbance and contention, and thereby establish peace in the church," the following plan was harmoniously agreed to : " That the church built near Abraham Bennet's-the Three-Mile Run church-shall be considered as belonging to the church of Lawrence's Brook and on the river, and that the members of the congregation residing in the neighborhood of Six and Ten-Mile Run shall also build a church for themselves at either of these places, or at some point intervening, as they may agree." It was also determined that " the church in the town and at Three-Mile-Run shall each have a con- sistory, who shall cooperate with each other, and, notwithstanding there are two places of worship, the two congregations shall form one church ; and in matters of great importance the two consistories shall meet as one body, and transact such business as may come before them for the establishment of the Christian church." This was evidently an arrangement made with reference to the feelings of
-
207
HISTORICAL NOTES.
the older members, and ceased in time, all the regular services being transferred to the church in town. This arrangement was in existence during the first part of T. J. Frelinghuysen's ministry.
Roelef Sebring was appointed elder for the new congregation, Hendrik Bries, and Roelef Lucas, (Voorhees, ) deacons ; and this non- ber was increased afterwards to three elders and three deacons, namely, Aart Aartsen, Isaac Van Dyke, Roelef Sebring, elders, and Johannes Folkersen, Ilendrik Bries, and Roelef Lucas, (Voorhees,) deacons. At the same time, in furtherance of the agreement referred to, Peter Kinne was appointed elder for the church at Six-Mile Run, and Elbert Stoothoff deacon, and that church became a distinct organization.
Now, it certainly will appear not a little remarkable that all these things were transacted, and yet there are no documents whatever showing what religions services were held in these churches, or who conducted them. There were religious services, unquestionably, for children were baptized and the holy sacrament administered in all the three churches. The first register at New-Brunswick is dated Angust 14th, 1717, when three children were baptized, namely, Eliza- beth, daughter of Johannes Stoothoff, Cornelius, son of Martin Salem, and John, son of Jacob Ouke; and in the three succeeding years there were twenty-nine children admitted to the ordinance of baptism. All this was before the settlement of Frelinghuysen.
We can only speak from probabilities when we say that the settle- ments in Somerset County, being mostly formed from Long Island, must have been supplied in some way with occasional services by the ministers from the same place. That these ministers exercised an influence in these churches is shown in various ways. They were consulted, they advised, their peculiar sentiments had representa- tives, and Bernardus Freeman was the agent in having Frelinghuy- sen's call made out and sent to Holland. If their handwriting could be compared with the baptismal records, it is not improbable we should be able to ascertain who made them, and so arrive at dates when they supplied the churches ; and this may yet be done.
The following is a list of the families composing the Church of the River and Lawrence's Brook in 1717. It is preserved as being the . nucleus of the New-Brunswick church at an early day, and is extracted from the appendix of Dr. Steel's historical discourse, to which also we owe most of the foregoing particulars. It is as follows :
. " Adriaen Bennet and Angenietie his wife; Aart Aartsen and Elisa. bet ditto ; Isaac Van Dyke and Barbera ditto; Roelef Sebring and Christyn ditto; Johannes Folkertsen and Angenietie ditto ; Hendrick
--------
208
HISTORICAL NOTES.
Bries and Henne ditto; Roelef Van Voorhees and Helena ditto; Laurens Williamse and Saara ditto; Roelef Nevius and Katalyna ditto; John Van Voorhees and Neeltie ditto; Minne V. Voorhees and Antie; Samuel Montfort, Maria Frelanth, Jacobus Oukee and Henne his wife; Johannes Stoothoff and Neetie ditto; Abraham Bennet and Jannetie ditto; Elizabeth Bries, Jakis Fontyn and Annike his wife ; Siarls (Charles) Fontyn and Helena ditto; Annatie Folkersen, Jacobus Buys and Marietie his wife; Niceklas Bason ; Hendrick Meech and Anna Madeline his wife; Bernardus Knetor and Elizabeth his wife ; Johannes Metselaer, Guertie Smock, Elizabeth Smock, Christofel Van Arsdalen and Madaleentie his wife; Jakol, Korse and Adriaantie ditto; Katrina Boyd, Cornelins Sudam and Maritie his wife; Josis Anderse and Jacomendie ditto; Jan Aten, Thomas Aten and Elsie his wife; Thomas Davidts and Annatie ditto; Helena Hogelandt, Willem Klaasen and Marija his wife ; Maregeretie Reynierse, Thomas Bonsoman and Neeltie his wife; Marten Vander Hoeve, William Moor, Andries Wortman and Jannetie his wife; Johannes Koevert and Jannitie ditto ; and Barbara Janse."
Of the above names thirty-three are males and heads of families, and there is a double interest in recording them. It not only indi- cates what a respectable number had already been connected with the church, and so is a proof of the piety and the religious character of our forefathers, but it indicates when the original ancestors of the present living families came and made the counties of Somerset and Middlesex their permanent home. Whatever praise may be justly accorded to Theodorus J. Frelinghuysen for his energy and perse- verance, it is certain there were Christians in these churches before his day. The foundations, at least, had already been laid.
In 1718, (it must have been at least as early as this date,) a call was sent to Holland by Rev. Bernardus Freeman, of Long Island, from the four united congregations of Three-Mile Run, Six-Mile Run, Raritan, and North-Branch, which, after being approved by the Classis of Amsterdam, was expected to be put in the hands of such a man as they might think proper, and then he was to be ordained and sent over to his pastoral charge. This eall was put in the hands of Rev. Theodorus Jacobus Frelinghuysen, and accepted. He arrived in New-York the last days of December, 1719, or the first days of January, 1720, and early in February came to the vicinity of Three- Mile Run, and resided in the family of Hendrik Reyniersz. IIe brought with him Jacobus Schureman, who was expected to act as " Voorleeser," or chorister and schoolmaster. He was at the same
209
HISTORICAL NOTES.
time friend and companion, and being, like Mr. Frelinghuysen, un- married, they boarded in the same house. We refer our readers to what is contained in these notes under the title. Raritan, for a full account of Mr. Frelinghuysen's character and ministry, and there- fore proceed with other important matters.
In 1729, an effort was made by certain persons in the vicinity of Three-Mile Run and Six-Mile Run, apparently from dissatisfaction with the minister and the existing condition of things, to procure another preacher from Holland-whether to preach in the same churches or not, does not appear. The old church-building at Three- Mile Run is referred to as being in a state in which it was doubtful whether it was fit to hold service in, and in case it should not be eli- gible, Hendrik Vroom and Frederik Van Lieuw were appointed a committee to erect a new house, near the residence of John Pittenger. The subscription paper is still in existence. We give the names on it as representing "the oll Conferentie families " in the vicinity at that time. They are : A. Booram, Simon Wyckoff, Dennis Van Duyn, Leonard Smock, Corn's Peterson, George Andersen, William Van Duyn, Jacobus Boise, Hendrik Smock, Christopher Probasco, William Kouenhoven, Jacobus Bennet, Peter Bodine, Gideon Marlat, William Bennet, Paul Le Boyton, Francis Harrison, Abram Bennet, Isaac Le Queer, Jacobus Bennet, Niclas Dailey, Adrian Hardenbrook, Luke Coevert, and Jacob Probasco. The committee appointed to procure the minister were Hendrik Vroom and Fredrik Van Lieuw. This effort was made probably in concert with other persons in the other congregations, but we have no documents in proof of this, or how it eventuated. . The call probably was never sent to Holland. It was an irregular proceeding entirely.
In 1730, the church in the town received an important addition to its strength in an emigration from Albany. A number of families came, bringing their materials for building with them, and settled in what is yet Albany street, New-Brunswick. Among them were the following : Abraham Schuyler, Hendrik Van Deursen, Dirk Van Veghten, Abraham Schuyler, John Ten Broek, Nicholas Van Dyke, , and Dirk Van Alen. They all remained, and became permanent residents, excepting Dirk Van Veghten, who went soon and purchased land on the Raritan, below Somerville, where his descendants long resided.
In 1734, the same individuals probably who had attempted to make out a call for a new minister had a new consistory appointed among themselves, and ordained by Rev. Vincentius Antonides, of Long
-
210
HISTORICAL NOTES.
Island, consisting of Simon Wyckoff and Hendrik Vroom as elders, and Simon Van Winklen and Dennis Van Duyn as deaeons. This movement again was made in concert with the malcontents in the other congregations. Indeed, a consistory for North-Branch, it would seem, was appointed and ordained at the same time and place, con- sisting of Daniel Seebring and Peter Kinne, elders, and William Ross and Francis Waldron, deacons. At a later day, Rev. Johannes Arondius had himself installed in these congregations, contrary to all order and propriety, by Fryenmort.
On the 20th November, 1739, Whitefield preached to a very large coneourse of people in the city of New-Brunswick, gathered from all the surrounding country. In his journal he notices the presence of T. J. Frelinghuysen, pastor of a congregation about four miles dis- tant, apparently ignorant of the nature of his combined charge, and of the existence of any other churches over which he exercised a pas- toral care; and yet he had, we think, already preached at Basking- ridge and Bound Brook. Frelinghuysen was evidently at one with Whitefield in all his views on practical religion, and prepared earnestly to second his efforts to introduce a higher and more spiritual form of Christianity than that which prevailed in the churches at that time. Both were far in advance of their time in the earnestness and devotion of a true Christian spirit, and fully prepared to cooperate in extending it among all the churches. They met, and at once recognized each the other as having drank in from the same fountain.
From this time onward Mr. Frelinghuysen seems to have had more quietness and acceptance than at first. The great work which he had done testified of him. The number received into the church by the records was about 60. This is more than one from each family. The largest accession was in 1741, when there were 22 added to his church. This was after Whitefield's visit. Di> Steele is persuaded the list is incomplete, and we can say the same thing of that of Ra- ritan. He had done a noble work, and was ready to lay down his armor whenever called. He continued to work as faithfully as ever for at least seven years after the last date given, and then hit went to his rest, in the fifty-seventh year of his age, if the year of his birth (1691) is given correctly. We believe, in fact, that he was older than nineteen years when he came from Holland, and so this date must be incorrect by at least four or five years.
There appears to have been too many things done by him before his immigration to admit of the supposition that he arrived here a
211
HISTORICAL NOTES.
mere boy yet in his teens. Ile had been rector of the academy at Embden, in East-Friesland, had published a catechism, and acquired a character for piety and decision, before he came to America, hardly consistent for a boy. We would sooner believe he was twenty-nine than nineteen, therefore, when he appeared here on the stage of ac- tion ; and is it not singular at least that the date of his death is also undecided, and only approximately known? The evidence is this :
Theodorus J. Frelinghuysen must have died previous to September 27th, 1748. Ile is mentioned as being absent that year from the con- vention in New-York. The elder from his charge who was there (Hen- drik Fisher), urged the licensure of Johannes Leydt, in order that the vacant congregation at New-Brunswick might call him. The con- vention manifested a favorable disposition, as if they sympathized . with the people, and after a full examination licensed Leydt. Now this could not have been the case unless the vacancy mentioned had been made by the death of the previous pastor. Verbych, who was also licensed, it would seem, had been one of his students. This is the nearest approximation to the time of his death now possible. Some document yet unknown may, however, determine it hereafter.
Again, the same date (namely, September 27th, 1748,) we find in another connection the following record : " At this time Henry Fisher, --- , ruling elders of the congregations of New-Brunswick and Six- Mile Run, came before us with a call from both these congregations, upon John Leydt, a candidate for the ministry, to be their minister, in order that the Rev. Assembly might inspect the same, and, finding it in due form, migbt approve it ; and that the said John Leydt might be admitted to the final examination by the Coetus, which is specially authorized to do this by the Classis of Amsterdam, and, if found qualified, be approved by the Coetus as the lawfully called minister of New-Brunswick and Six-Mile Run, and be declared as such by written testimonials to all whom it may concern." This again is proof that Frelinghuysen must have been dead at least some time before this.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.