USA > New Jersey > Somerset County > Raritan > Forty years at Raritan : eight memorial sermons with notes for a history of the Reformed Dutch churches in Somerset County, N.J. > Part 29
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30
305
HISTORICAL NOTES.
resolving and entering on enlarged plans of usefulness." Ilis labors at Blawenburg were highly appreciated. He established the church, he gathered into her communion many valuable members, and left many regrets when he went elsewhere.
Blawenburg is now a flourishing church, united, prosperous, and increasing. It contains 120 families and 238 members in communion.
3. MIDDLEBUSH .- This church was organized out of families belonging to the church of New-Brunswick, March 17th, 1834, by a committee consisting of Rev. Messrs. J. J. Schultz, II. L. Rice, and A. D. Wilson. It had been an outpost-a place of catechiza- tion ; a church had been talked of and desired for some years. At length, under the advice of Dr. Janeway, the step was taken. The church edifice was finished in 1834, and Rev. Jacob J. Schultz called from Whitehouse and Lebanon to take charge of the new congregation. He continued the pastor from 1834 to 1838, when he resigned, in consequence of mental infirmities, and died in 1852. We have characterized him in another connection. His remains were interred in the cemetery connected with the church, and on his tomb is inseribed, " Rev. Jacob J. Schultz, born September 3d, 1792, at Rhinebeck, N. Y. ; died October 22d, 1852, at Mid. dlebush, N. J. The last pastor of the united churches of Lebanon and White, House for twenty years; the first pastor of Middlebash Church ; graduate of Union College, New-York, 1813, and of the R. D. Seminary, New-Jersey, 1816.
"The last quarter of his life was clouded by mental and phy- sieal maladies ; but God's grace was magnified, and at the age of 60 he slept in Jesus.
" He was a noble Christian man-a faithful and affectionate minister of Christ. His piety was reverent, exalted, and full of good fruits, fed by the doctrines of grace which he preached with power to the consciences of men.
" Ile walked with God, did nothing without prayer, whose faith follow .- lIeb. 13 : 7-8 ; Rev. 14 : 13."
Mr. Schultz was succeeded in 1838 by John A. Vandoren, a graduate of the Seminary at New-Brunswick, who continued his work until 1866, when he accepted a call to the church of Lodi, N. Y. He was succeeded by George W. Swayne. The church is now under the care of Rev. Stephen L. Mershon, and num- bers 108 families and 192 in communion.
306
HISTORICAL NOTES.
4. THE CHURCH OF CLOVER HILL .- Clover Hill church was organized on the 4th of September, 1834, on which occasion the Rev. S. A. Bumstead, of Manayunk, Pa., preached, and ordained a consistory consisting of Henry Vanderveer and Peter C. Schenk, as elders, and John W. Bellis and Jacob Nevius, deacons. A church edifice had been already built, and was dedicated October 5th, 1834-only a month from the date when the church had been formed. The sermon on the occa- sion was preached by the Rev. Dr. Cannon, of the seminary at New-Brunswick. Early in the next year, (1835,) Garret C. Schenck, a student from the seminary, was called, and continued to labor until 1837. The next year, William Demarest was called and or- dained, and served the people until 1840. The church then went over to the Presbyterian connection, and remained in that body until 1862, when it returned again to its former relation with the Classis of Philadelphia, and called the candidate William B. Voorhees. The present pastor is the Rev. B. Oliver. The church has recently enlarged and refitted its church edifice, and is now in a growing state and promises to become a strong church. It embraces 75 families and 115 members in communion.
5. SECOND CHURCH OF RARITAN .- The Second Church of Raritan was formed out of families who had been in commu- nion with the old church, on the 5th of March, 1834. The meet- ing was held in the house of worship belonging to the First Church. Rev. J. C. Sears, of Six-Mile Run, by appointment of Classis, preached the sermon, and was assisted in the exercises by the Rev. A. D. Wilson and Rev. J. L. Zabriskie. The first con- sistory consisted of James Taylor, Brogun J. Brokaw, and Thomas Talmage, as elders, and John A. Staats, Peter Hoge, Thomas A. HIartwell, and James Bergen, deacons. There were 24 members in communion when the church was organized.
Immediately after the organization, the people took measures for the erection of a house of worship. It was completed and dedicated to the honor and glory of the Triune God-Father, Son, and Holy Ghost-on Wednesday, the 18th of February, 1835, by Rev. S. B. How, D.D., of New-Brunswick, after preach- ing from Ps. 26 : 8, " Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honor dwelleth."
At the end of the first year, the consistory reported 76 families and 61 members in communion as belonging to their church.
307
HISTORICAL NOTES.
Rev. Charles Whitehead, of Hopewell, N. Y., was called as the first pastor, and preached his first sermon on Sabbath morning, May 31st, 1835, from Romans 15 : 30-32. He continued his ser- vices for three years, and was succeeded, in 1840, by Talbot W. Chambers, a student from the seminary at New-Brunswick. He preached his first sermon October 13th, 1839, and was ordained and installed on Wednesday, January 22d, 1840, and served the church until 1849, when he accepted a call from the collegiate churches in the city of New- York and resigned. His successor, in 1850, was Elijah R. Craven, a lieentiate of the seminary at Princeton, who continued his labors for four years, and was suc- ceeded, in 1855, by Rev. J. F. Mesick, the present pastor. The churel is now in a flourishing condition, embracing 175 families and 398 communieants. It has given the following young men from its communion to the Christian ministry, namely, John V. N. Talmage, Goyn Talmage, T. De Witt Talmage, James B. Wil- son, Peter Q. Wilson, Frederick F. Wilson, and A. J. Hageman.
6. STANTON, FORMERLY MOUNT PLEASANT, (1834.)-This church was formed out of families who had been accustomed to attend publie worship at Readington; but the distance made it inconvenient and burdensome, and led them to make an effort to provide a more convenient place for themselves. The organization was effected through the Classis of Philadelphia, October 15th, 1833, and it was called " the Dutch Reformed Church of Mount Pleasant." It consisted, originally, of only four members, namely, John M. Wyckoff, Josiah Cole and wife, Margaret, and Abraham Anderson. The first consistory were, John M. Wyckoff and Josiah Cole, elders, and Abraham Ander- son, deacon.
In the next year, they procceded to provide themselves with a suitable place for publie worship, and erected the present edifiee. At the laying of the corner-stone of this house, in 1834, Rev. G. Ludlow, John Van Liew, and Jacob Kirkpatrick were present and officiated. The church was completed before the close of the year and dedicated, the same reverend gentlemen-all neighbor- ing ministers-being present again and taking part in the ser- viees ; but the dates are not attainable now, no records being known to have been made.
In June, 1835, the congregation presented a call to the candi- date Jacob R. Van Arsdale. The call was accepted, and he was
308
HISTORICAL NOTES.
ordained and installed in October. He proved an acceptable pastor, and labored faithfully until April, 1850, when he accepted a call from Tyre, N. Y., and removed thither. He was suc- ceeded, in 1852, by Rev. Horace Doolittle, of Pompton, who labored until 1872. His successor was Rev. Edward Cornel, the present pastor. This church from small beginnings has grown to fair and prosperous proportions, and reported, last year, 70 families and 140 communicants.
7. SECOND CHURCH OF NEW-BRUNSWICK .- This church was formed out of families, most of whom had belonged to the Old First Church, February 14th, 1843, by a committee of the Classis of New-Brunswick, consisting of Rev. A. Messler, D.D., and Messrs. Chambers and Schenck.
The first consistory were, George Nevius and John H. Stoothoff, elders, and Isaiah Rolfe and William T. Rank, deacons. The services were, for a time, held in a church edifice on the north- west corner of Albany and Union streets, immediately above the present church. In 1858, the erection of the present commodious house was commenced on the 28th of September, on a Tuesday afternoon; Dr. How, Professor Woodbridge, and D. D. Demarest assisting, and Dr. Wilson, the pastor of the church, performing the ceremony of laying the corner-stone. This house was com- pleted and dedicated on Wednesday, April 10th, 1861, at 7} P.M. In this service, Drs. Campbell, Woodbridge, and Demarest assisted Dr. Wilson, the pastor.
The succession of its ministers has been, D. D. Demarest, from 1843 to 1852 ; Woodbridge, 1852 to 1857 ; II. M. Wilson, 1858 to 1862; J. W. Schenck, 1863 to 1866, and C. D. Hartranft, since 1867. It is now a strong and flourishing church, numbering 160 families and 319 members in communion.
8. THE CHURCH OF GRIGGSTOWN .- This church was organized out of families worshiping previously at Six-Mile Run and Harlin- gen. The movement grew out of a desire on the part of the people to enjoy the sacred ordinances nearer their homes. They presented a petition for an organization to the Classis of New- Brunswick, May 24th, 1842, which was favorably received ; and it was resolved unanimously that " Whereas, application has been made by a number of individuals for the organization of a church at Griggstown, therefore resolved, that a Reformed Protestant Dutch church be organized at the place contemplated in this
1
1
1
$
309
HISTORICAL NOTES.
application, on the third Tuesday in June next, at 11 o'clock A.M., provided that at that time thirty members from neighboring congregations shall present their certificates of dismission for that purpose.
.
" Resolved, that Rev. Abraham Messler, John A. Van Doren, and George Schenck be a committee to carry the above resolu- tion into effect ; and that Rev. A. Messler preach the ser- mon on that occasion." The committee met in the Red School Ilouse on the west side of Millstone River, opposite the village of Griggstown, at the time specified; and, after receiving the certifi- cates of thirty-eight members in full communion from the neigh- boring churches, proceeded to organize a church to be known as the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Griggstown. The sermon was preached by Rev. A. Messler, of Somerville. The names of the elders and deacons chosen were published to the people for their approbation, and after the sermon they were or- dained by Rev. George Schenck. The names of the first consis- tory were Abraham Perlee, Joseph Cornell, John S. Hoagland, and Rynier P. Staats, elders, and Rynier A. Staats, Garret Wyck- off, Peter Cornell, and Martin N. Gulick, deacons. Immediately the consistory commenced the erection of a church edifice. It was completed and dedicated on August 8th, 1843. The sermon was preached by Rev. Jeremiah S. Lord, who had been called as pastor of the church, and on the afternoon of the same day he was ordained and installed in his office. He continued to serve the church until 1837. The next year the candidate John A. Todd was called and ordained. He continued to preach until 1855, when he was called to Tarrytown. The same year G. P. Living- ston accepted a call from the church, and remained with them until 1858. In 1859, Rev. Stephen Searle was called, and continues the beloved pastor of a united people. The congregation num- bers at present 56 families and 107 members in communion.
9. BOUNDBROOK .- This church was formed principally from families who had been in communion with the Presbyterian Church, with a few from Millstone and Somerville. It was or- ganized on the 20th of August, 1846, in the Franklin School Hon The first consistory were John Lane, Cornelius Messler, Jaco H. Wyckoff, and Caleb C. Brokaw, elders, and Andrew Todd, Daniel H. Voorhees, Elias B. Van Arsdale, and Henry C. Brokaw, deacons. It began under excellent auspices, and with
.
20
310
HISTORICAL NOTES.
sufficient numbers to become at once an efficient and self-sustain- ing church.
Provision had already been made to build a suitable honse for public worship, and it was completed at an early day, and dedi- cated to the worship of God on the 10th May, 1848. The services were commenced by Rev. Dr. Messler offering prayer. Then the Rev. Dr. R. K. Rodgers, of the Presbyterian Church, read the 84th Psalnı. After singing a hymn, the Rev. D. D. Demarest led in prayer, and the pastor, Rev. George J. Van Neste, gave an ad- dress. Rev. George II. Fisher, of New-York, preached the sermon from Ileb. 11 : 10, and dedicated the church, and Dr. Rodgers made the concluding prayer.
The pastors have been : George J. Van Neste, from 1847 to 1854 ; William Demarest, from 1854 to 1857; Henry V. Voorhees, from 1858 to 1862 ; Benjamin F. Romaine, from 1862 to 1868. In 1869 Rev. J. C. Dutcher was called, and still continues his acceptable labors among this people. The church has become a united and efficient organization, and its future seems to be assured as one of comfort and usefulness. It numbers 85 families, with 149 com- municants.
10. THE THIRD CHURCH OF RARITAN .- The organization of this church grew out of the increase of population in the village of Raritan. A chapel was built at first, principally through the exertions of Frederick J. Frelinghuysen, and services maintained in it by the ministers of the first and second churches. But in the spring of 1848 an application was made to Classis for a special organization, and being granted, a committee was appointed to effect this object. The committee consisted of Rev. Dr. A. Mess- ler, T. W. Chambers, and D. D. Demarest. They met on the 16th of May, 1848, and, after a sermon by Dr. Messler, organized a church by ordaining a consistory composed of John A. Staats, Thomas S. Whitenack, Peter V. Staats, and David T. Runyon as elders, and John Freck, Garret J. Quick, Isaac V. Porter, and Richard Provost as deacons.
Having called Peter Stryker, a student from the Seminary, as pastor, he was ordained and installed on the 10th of Og her, 1848. He preached at first in the chapel ; but on the 1 h of September, 1850, the people had completed their arrangements to build a suitable church edifice, and the corner-stone was laid by the pastor, with appropriate ceremonies. The house was dedicated
1 1 :
311
HISTORICAL NOTES.
by Rev. Dr. Hutton, of New-York, July 30th, 1851, after a ser- mon from Ecclesiastes 5 : 1-2.
In 1851, Mr. Stryker resigned his call, having accepted an invi- tation to become pastor of the church at Rhinebeck, N .. Y. He was succeeded the same year by Rev. James A. II. Cornell, who was installed March 4th, 1852, and served the church for four years, when he accepted the position of secretary to the Board of Education, and removed to his own residence at New- Baltimore, N. Y.
In 1857, James Le Fever, a student from the Seminary at New- Brunswick, was called, and ordained and installed on the 25th of June. He is still laboring in this field, and has had the pleasure of seeing a strong and active church growing up as the result of his exertions and the increase of population in the village. It numbers at present 125 families and 270 members in communion, and has before it a future of rich promise.
11. PEAPACK .- The church at Peapack was organized by a committee, appointed by the Classis of New-Brunswick, at the request of the Rev. George Schenk, of Bedminster, and the people in the village of Peapack, in the lecture room, built some years previously, on Tuesday, October 31st, 1848. There were received thirty-one in communion with the church of Bedminster; four from the Presbyterian church of Leamington ; and one from the Congregational church at Chester into this organization, making a total of thirty-six members. The first consistory chosen were, Jacob Tiger, Peter De Mott, Abraham Cortelyou, and Nicholas Tiger, elders, and Henry H. Wyckoff, James S. Todd, John S. Te- linly, and Jacob A. Clauson, deacons. After a sermon by Rev. A. Messler, D.D., from Prov. 8 : 34, the consistory was ordained by Rev. George Schenck, and the services were closed by prayer and the benediction by Rev. Mr. Stoutenburgh, of Chester.
The corner-stone of the church edifice was laid on Tuesday, July 10th, 1849, amid a large concourse of people, and addresses were made by Rev. Dr. Messler, Rev. J. K. Campbell, and Rev. George Schenck. The Rev. J. F. Morris, Rev. Messrs. Williamson, Stout- enbergh, Johnson, and Oackley, were present, with the pastor of the church, Rev. William Anderson.
On Tuesday, January 15th, 1850, the church was dedicated. The pulpit was occupied by Rev. Messrs. J. K. Campbell, George Schenck, D. D. Demarest, and J. M. Knox. The pastor presided,
312
HISTORICAL NOTES.
Rev. K. Campbell offered the prayer, D. D. Demarest preached the sermon from 2 Cor. 6 : 41, G. Schenck offered the dedi- catory prayer, and Rev. J. M. Knox the concluding prayer. This church has still its second pastor. Rev. Wm. Anderson served it from its organization until 1856, and was succeeded in 1857 by Rev. Henry P. Thompson, the present incumbent.
The church has recently been enlarged and beautified, and was reopened November 21st, 1872. The whole aspect of its affairs is progressive, prosperous, and satisfactory. The expenses of enlargement have amounted to $4500, and the people are enjoy- ing the comfort and pleasure of their activity and enterprise. It numbers 110 families and 218 communicants.
12. BRANCHVILLE .- This church was formed out of families from the churches of Readington and Neshanic, with a few from the churches in Somerville. It grew out of the necessity of public worship in this growing village, and was organized May 2d, 1850, by a committee from the Classis of Raritan, consisting of Dr. Messler, Rev. J. R. Campbell, Rev. Goyn Talmage, and G. J. Van Neste. The sermon was preached by Tahinage from Ex. 33 : 15, and the consistory was ordained by Campbell. The first consistory were, John Van Dyke, Cornelius Bergen, Garret Beck- man, and Henry P. Stryker, elders, and Lucas H. Hoagland, Gilbert S. Amerman, John Vossler, and John Veghte, deacons.
Preparations to erect a suitable house of worship were immc- diately begun, and the corner-stone was laid amid a large con- course of people. Addresses were delivered by Rev. Messrs. Chambers, Campbell, Talmage, and Messler. It is recollected as an animated scene on a beautiful summer day.
The church was dedicated in 1850, after a sermon by Rev. Dr. Messler; and on the next day the candidate, Henry Dater, was ordained and installed as pastor of the new church, on which occasion Rev. J. R. Campbell preached the sermon. Ile continued his labours until 1853, and was succeeded the same year by Rev. William Pitcher, the present incumbent. This church has had a prosperous career from the beginning, and now numbers 101 families and 95 members in communion.
13. EASTON .- The church at Easton, Pa., was organized in Rev. Dr. John Vanderveer's school-room, on Saturday, July 26th, 1851, by a committee of the Classis of New-Brunswick, consisting of Rev. A. Messler, D.D., George Schenek, and II. D. Ganse. The
313
HISTORICAL NOTES.
first consistory were, Messrs. Frail Green, M.D., E. Dean Dow, James Pollock, and Samuel C. Brown, elders, and William G. Stewart, C. F. Thurston, Richard S. Bell, and Benjamin Gods- chalk, deacons.
The first church services were held on the succeeding Sabbath, July 27th, in Christ Church, Lutheran, when Rev. Dr. Messler preached from Ephesians 2 : 20, and the Rev. George Schenck ordained the consistory. The building of a church for the new congregation was already commeneed, and soon a call was pre sented to Rev. James Mason Knox, of the Presbyterian church, German Valley, New-Jersey, which was accepted. 1Ie was in- stalled as pastor November 23d, 1851 ; Rev. Messrs. Schenck, Ganse, and De Witt were present ; Ganse preaching the sermon from Jolm 3 : 14-15.
The church, which was on Fifth, then Juliana, street, was com- pleted and dedicated July 29th, 1852, by Rev. Dr. George W. Bethune. This edifice was occupied until December, 1870, when it was sold to Zion Lutheran congregation, and the last service was held in it December 25th, 1870.
A new church edifice was immediately commenced on Spring Garden Street, and the corner-stone was laid June 26th, 1871. In the mean time, the congregation worshiped in the First Pres- byterian Church. This house was dedicated on the 17th March, 1872, by the pastor, Rev. Dr. C. II. Edgar. The sermon was preachedl from Zech. 6 : 12.
The church has still the services of its second pastor. Rev. J. H. M. Knox remained with them until 1853, when he resigned, and accepted a call from the Presbyterian church of German- town, where he is still laboring. Rev. Dr. C. HI. Edgar was called the same year from the Presbyterian church of Bridge- hampton, Long Island, and installed November 11th, 1853. The Rev. J. R. Campbell, of North-Branch, preached the sermon from 2 Tim. 4 : 2, and charged the people, and Rev. E. R. Craven, of the Second church, Somerville, charged the pastor. Un ler Edgar's able and efficient labors the church has prospered and increased. It bids fair to be soon a strong and active church It numbers 55 families and 94 communicants.
14. EAST-MILLSTONE .- The church of East-Millstone grew ont of the increase of the village on the east side of the river, and was demanded by the circumstances. The Rev. David Cole, to
314
HISTORICAL NOTES.
whom we owe almost all the subsequent history of this church, says, " The quick growth of the village soon suggested to its Christian people the importance of taking steps to secure distinct religious privileges for themselves." Three men were most ac- tive in securing an organization, Ernestus Schenek, Dr. Garret Van Doren, and John V. A. Merril. In due time the subject was brought to the notice of the Classis of New-Brunswick, and on the 19th June, 1855, a committee was appointed to consult with the consistory of the old church on the west side of the river. They reported in favor of immediate action. On the 19th July, classis appointed Dr. Mesiek, Dr. J. A. II. Cornell, William Pitcher, and the elder Jeremiah Whitenack a committee to organize the church. It consisted of eighteen members. The first consistory were, Cornelius Broach and John V. A. Merril, elders, and Richard A. Kuhl and John Stines, deacons. The sermon on the occasion was preached by Dr. Mesick, from Acts 9:31.
In their report, October 16th, 1855, the committee say, This enterprise has started under flattering auspices. $2000 are subscribed toward building a house of worship, and the sum will be increased to $3000. The building committee have already advertised for sealed proposals to build the house according to a specified plan. Messrs. Ernestus Schenck, J. V. A. Merril, and Peter Wortman were appointed a building com- mittee. Dr. John Ludlow addressed the people on the laying of the corner stone, and Dr. J. M. Matthews, of New-York, preached the sermon at the dedication of the church. The entire cost of the lot, building, and bell, was 85748.23.
The first pastor, Rev. Giles Vander Wall, was called June 17th, 1836, and his installation took place July 9th ; and the connec- tion was dissolved June 8th, 1858. Mr. Vander Wall went to the Holland colony in Michigan, and subsequently as missionary to Sonth-Africa. Ile was a native of Holland, but educated at New-Brunswick.
The church remained vacant until November 23d, 1858, when David Cole was called, and installed. He remained until April 1st, 1863, when he accepted an appointment as Professor of the Latin and Greek languages in Rutgers College. He is now pas- tor of the church at Yonkers, New-York.
315
HISTORICAL NOTES.
He was succeeded the same year by Martin L. Berger, who served this church three years; and he again was succeeded by William H. Phraner in 1866. The present pastor is Rev. A. Mc William, who has served the church since 1869. It includes 85 families and 153 members in communion, and is becoming one of the most active and efficient of our young churches.
15. ROCKY HILL .- The church here grew ont of the necessity of increased religious privileges to the inhabitants of this growing village. It was organized by the Classis of Philadelphia May 6th, 1857. The church edifice had been previously commenced, and was dedicated to the worship of the Triune God, after a sermon preached by Rev. B. C. Taylor, D.D., of Bergen, N. J., June 10th, 1857. In this service Rev. John Gardner, Rev. J. C. Lord, Rev. Dr. Sears, and Rev. Dr. Peter Labagh, the aged and reve- rend pastor of Harlingen, participated.
The first consistory consisted of Mindert Vreeland, Samuel Brearly, Isaac Van Dyke, and Joseph II. Voorhees, elders, and John A. Saums, Michael Vreeland, Dr. C. K. Vandoren, and Jacob Vreelan, deacons.
Almost immediately the Rev. Martin S. Schenck was called, and settled as the first pastor. He continued his labors until 1865, and was succeeded the same year by Oscar Gesner, a licen- tiate from the Theological Seminary, who labored until 1871, and the church is now under the pastoral supervision of Rev. Herman C. Berg. The congregation embraces 77 families, and has before it a prosperous and happy future.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.