A history of the town of Greenwich, Fairfield County, Conn., with many important statistics, Part 1

Author: Mead, Daniel M. [from old catalog]
Publication date: 1857
Publisher: New York, Baker & Godwin, printers
Number of Pages: 334


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Greenwich > A history of the town of Greenwich, Fairfield County, Conn., with many important statistics > Part 1


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org.


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15



E


٠٦


A HISTORY


14 1818


OF THE TOWN OF


GREENWICH,


FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CONN.,


WITH


Many Important


Statistics.


BY


DANIEL M. MEAD, ATTORNEY, ETC., AT LAW, GREENWICHI, CONN.


5


NEW YORK : BAKER & GODWIN, PRINTERS. CORNER NASSAU AND SPRUCE STREETS. 1857.


Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1857, by DANIEL M. MEAD,


In the Clerk's Office for the District Court of Connecticut.


1 4


7104


CONTENTS.


Page


INTRODUCTION


5


DISCOVERY


13


PETUQUAPAEN .


18


SETTLEMENT


21


AGREEMENTS WITH NEIGHBORS


26


TROUBLE WITH THE INDIANS


30


LEGEND OF LABDEN'S ROCK


41


A NEW EXPEDITION


43


THE SUCCESSFUL ATTACK


47


BOUNDARY ON THE WEST .


54


INCREASE OF INHABITANTS, &C.


59


ITEMS FROM 1665 TO 1690 . 65


ANOTHIER QUARTER OF A CENTURY : 1690 TO 1715


74


EPISCOPALIANISM


97


1715 TO REVOLUTIONARY WAR


107


FRENCH WAR 114


130 153


INCIDENTS OF THE REVOLUTION


159


RIVINGTON'S PRESS


176


SKIRMISH BEYOND KING STREET


179


THE ENEMY'S EXCURSION TO NORTH STAMFORD 181


ANDREW MEAD, HUMPHREY DENTON, AND RICHARD MEAD


182


-


MILL AND DOCKS AT MIANUS .


185


THE WAR OF 1812 190


CONSTITUTION OF 1818 195


SKIMETON PARTIES


198


THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR


TRYON'S EXPEDITION 175


EXPEDITIONS ON THE SOUND


4


CONTENTS.


APPENDIX.


Page


FAIRFIELD COUNTY


211


SOVEREIGNS OF ENGLAND AFTER THE SETTLEMENT


227


GOVERNORS OF CONNECTICUT


227


TOWN OFFICERS


229


BUSINESS DIRECTORY


235


SCHOOL DISTRICTS .


243


INDIAN NAMES


245


CHRONOLOGICAL TABLE


246


THE SECOND CONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY


251


METHODIST EPISCOPAL SOCIETY 268


CHRIST'S CHURCH 270


EMANUEL CHURCH, AT GLENVILLE .


273


GENEALOGY OF THE MEAD FAMILY


277


GENEALOGY OF THE PECK FAMILY


295


BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICE OF REV. JEREMIAH PECK 300


THE BRUNDIG FAMILY 306


THE BUSH FAMILY


306


THE CLOSE FAMILY


307


THE CURTIS FAMILY


309


THE DAYTON FAMILY


311


THE FIELD FAMILY


312


THE FERRIS FAMILY


312


THE HOLMES FAMILY 313


313


THE LOCKWOOD FAMILY


313


THE PALMER FAMILY


314


THE PURDY FAMILY


314


THE BRUSHI FAMILY


315


THE LEWIS FAMILY 316


THE HOWE FAMILY


.


317


THE LYON FAMILY


INTRODUCTION.


THE author, when very young, was much interested with the tales and ditties of olden time; and was in the habit of spending the days, not occupied at school, in the office of our present town-clerk, Samuel Close, Esq., in searching the early records of the town. As a result, many things of interest were found upon the decayed and much-worn, early rec- ords. We found too, that this town was the scene of many important incidents, in the his- tory of our country, which have never been recorded on the pages of history; and that the few that have been noticed by historians, are mentioned in so vague and uncertain a light as to be of little use to the public.


6


INTRODUCTION.


We therefore set ourselves to work to col- lect the more important facts and incidents for publication, that our fellow-citizens might have them in a convenient form for reference, and that many facts which otherwise would have been lost may be preserved. We have not published matters of mere private interest ; but only such things as appear to us to be of importance to the public. Such as it is, the volume is now before you. Its reliability may be depended upon as far as it goes ; though no doubt many would have made it a more voluminous work.


We have been especially indebted for as- sistance to our obliging town-clerk, to Col. Thomas A. Mead (and papers and reminis- cences in his possession), and to several aged people of the town. The other works to which we have referred with advantage are, O'Callaghan's History of the New Nether- lands, Bolton's History of Westchester County,


-


7


INTRODUCTION.


Trumbull's, Barber's and Hollister's Histories of Connecticut, and others.


For our genealogy of the MEAD family we are indebted in part to a manuscript in the possession of Titus Mead, Esq. Other genea- logies are accredited properly on the pages of the volume.


The Author's services are at the command of any person, for assistance in collecting their genealogies from the town or other records.


Dedicating this volume to his fellow citizens of the town of Greenwich, the author would Remain their


Humble servant, D. M. MEAD.


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


DISCOVERY.


QUINNEHTUKQUT, the old Indian name for Connecticut, lying behind Long Island and a Sound with one outlet almost impassable to the unaquainted navigator, escaped for a while the attention of the early European navigators. And although John and Sebastian Cabot, in 1498, sailed along the whole coast of North America under the auspices of cross old Henry VIII., yet they never caught a view of Connecticut. Nevertheless, King Henry deemed himself rightfully possessed of the whole territory of North America, because, forsooth, a few of his subjects had cast their eyes on some of the jutting capes and prom- ontories. In 1524, John Verazzano, a Floren- tine adventurer, with an outfit under the auspices of King Francis I. of France, sailed


2


14


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


along nearly the same extent of coast more leisurely, and he more definitely explored its bays and harbors. He lay with his vessel fif- teen days in the beautiful harbor of Newport. Whether he visited New York Bay is still a mooted question among authors. The French maintain and the Dutch deny, that he did so. But it is not claimed by any that he sailed through the Sound; and he must have passed by without having seen the bays and harbors of Connecticut.


Hendricke Hudson, on the 4th of September, 1609, with a mixed crew of English and Dutch on board the Half-moon (Halve-Maan), sailed gallantly into New York harbor. He pro- ceeded up the North river instead of the East, and searched for the Northwest Passage; for he sailed with the same purpose which actuated the unfortunate Sir John Franklin three hun- dred and fifty years later. Though Hudson was in his own purpose unsuccessful, yet his discoveries led to the early settlement of the Island of Manhattan. The Dutch soon com- menced trading with the Indians along the shores of the Hudson, which river the Indians called Mahiccannittuck. And then in the early part of 1613, began the early settlement


15


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


of Niew Amsterdam under the command of Hendricke Corstiaensen, who afterward became noted as an adventurer. Four small huts built at that time, were the small beginnings of the present city of New York.


About this time there was a check upon marine enterprise throughout all Europe. The Dutch, being then the most extensive navigators, recovered first from its effects. An Ordinance, passed at Gravenhague by the As- sembly, on the 27th of March, 1614, restored to their navigators their customary activity. A company of merchants fitted out a fleet of five ships, and put them under the command of three distinguished sailors, Adrien Block, Hendricke Corstiaensen, and Cornelius Jacob- son Mey. All arrived safely at Niew Amster- dam on the "mouth of the great river of the Manhattans " in the latter part of September of the same year. Here they separated. It was the intention of Block to sail farther up the Hudson than the original discoverer had done, while Corstiaensen should examine the Southern coast of Long Island (Serwan-Hacky or Mentoac, the land of shells), and Mey, his other fellow-commander, should sail along the coast of New Jersey.


16


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


After the departure of his former comrades, Block was compelled by accident to relinquish his design. His vessel was consumed by fire, while yet lying at Niew Amsterdam filled with provision for the projected expedition. But the intrepid Dutchman, not disheartened by the loss of his ship and the absence of his fel- low-voyagers, immediately built a small vessel, which he called the Restless. Its length was forty-four and a half feet, and its breadth eleven and a half. This was the beginning of ship-building in New York, now owning the largest and fleetest ships in the world.


Not knowing whether the Hudson would lead to a northwest passage or not, Block would not venture in so small a vessel to find out, but chose rather to explore the East River. Accordingly, proceeding in this new direction, the Restless passed safely through a dangerous strait, to which Block gave the name which it has borne ever since, calling it " Hellegat, after a branch of the river Scheldt in East Flanders." After reaching the open sound he kept along the northern shore. Con- sequently he made the first discovery of what now forms Connecticut, when, from the deck of his vessel, he and his crew looked upon the


17


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


rocky hills of Greenwich. This was in the early part of 1614. As he passed by them, he named the Norwalk Islands the " Archipele- gos," and the Housatonic he called the " River of the Red Mountains." Farther on he dis- covered the Connecticut, and calling it Fresh River, he sailed several miles from its mouth upward. Descending again, he continued his course through the Sound. Block Island yet bears the name of the navigator himself. Off Cape Cod he fell in with his former companion Corstiaensen, who had been exploring the southern coast of Long Island.


The crew of the Restless then, having been diverted this way by accident, were the first to look upon our hills. Yet they passed by, only seeing. This was five years previous to the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, in 1620. We will now forget those European visitors, and turn our attention to the native Indians, and look at their situation as given us by the various authorities, O'Callaghan in particular. Not having seen the stranger vis- itors, who passed them in a single day, they little dreamed of the terrible destruction about to come upon them by the hands of the brethren of these very strangers who came


18


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


thus boldly with their winged canoes into un- known waters. Or if, perchance, some watch- ful warrior ever on the look out, descried the whitened sail, we have no record preserved by the Indians of what was done at their council fires, chronicling the curious expressions of fear, of wonder, admiration, or bravery, which were expressed by the fierce, wise old Chiefs and Sachems of Sioascock. But such excite- ment, if any existed, gradually died away, and the Indians returned to their more peaceful and profitable employments of hunting, clam- ming, and fishing.


PETUQUAPAEN.


On the present main road passing through the town of Greenwich, about mid-way be- tween Stamford and the New York boundary line, was situated this Indian village. The plain, now called Stricklands, is divided by a small brook bearing the same name, which enters the western bank of the Myanos River and is thus emptied into the Sound. On the west side of this brook, and close under a rather abrupt eminence, on which now stands the house of William White, Esq., were built three rows of closely collected Indian huts


1


19


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


made of bark. "These three rows were some- what more than eighty yards in length, stretching along under a high bluff covered with tall oaks which sheltered the town from the chilling northwest winds."


On the plain, east of the hamlet and between it and Strickland's brook, the wood and un- derbrush had been cleared away and the ground fitted for raising Indian corn. This brook then ran more clearly than now, as a distillery has since cast in its refuse and helped the formation of a miry, creek mud. Here the Indians drew up their canoes, after a fish- ing excursion upon the Myanos or the neigh- boring waters of the Sound. To the north, far away for hundreds of miles, extended the Green Mountains, abounding in game, which the Indians residing at the very foot of that beautiful range of hills, hunted both for plea- sure and subsistence. To the southwest lay an extended swamp, a part of which still exists as such, which afforded a safe retreat to the inhabitants when attacked by their enemies, the Mohawks, a much stronger and fiercer tribe of the northwest.


Northeast from this Indian village, and about a mile north of the present village of


20


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


Dumpling Pond, was an Indian fort, known to them as Betuckquapock, to which they could retire when any danger approached from across the Sound. In such a situation, and one seemingly so desirable for savage life, these aborigines lived for centuries, unknowing and unknown by European nations. It is not wonderful that, in time of trouble, the Indians should congregate here in great numbers, rais- ing their tents by the side of the more per- manent ones constituting the village.


The tract of land about Petuquapaen, ex- tending from the Patommuck brook (now a part of the boundary line between Stamford and Greenwich) westward to the two streams now known as the Brothers, was called by the same name. West of this was Miossehassaky, extending from the Brothers to the Byram river, which was called Armonck or Cokamong. On the west bank of the Byram was another though smaller village, called Haseco. This was not far from the present village of Portchester.


Petuquapaen and Miossehassaky were nearly equal in extent, together forming Sioascock. Over this territory and Poningoe, which was on the west side of the Byram, Ponus was the ruling Sachem. The tribe were Siwanoys.


21


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


On the northwest of them were the Weeques- queecks, who were the friends of the Siwanoys, both belonging to the great tribe of Mohegans, who were possessed of a great part of Quinneh- tukqut (Connecticut).


Ponus had a brother named Wascussue, who was the ruling Sachem of the Rippowams or Stamford. Ponus had died previous to 1640, leaving several sons, who afterward be- came powerful and influential chiefs, and had much to do with the English and Dutch settlers. The names of some of them were Owenoke, Taphance, and Onox.


Before the discovery and settlement of this part of the country by Europeans, this was one of the most thickly inhabited sections of the whole region. Those living regularly at Petuquapaen were estimated at between three and five hundred. And this number was in- creased afterward to more than a thousand, when others were driven by the Dutch from their customary abodes near Niew Amsterdam.


SETTLEMENT.


On the sixteenth day of July, 1640, or twenty-five years after the discovery of Green- wich by Adrien Block, Captain Daniel Patrick, a distinguished English pioneer, accompanied


22


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


by Robert Feaks, landed upon Greenwich Point, by the Indians called Monakewego, and finally concluded a bargain with Owenoke, one of the sons of Ponus, for that part of Petuquapaen lying between the Asamuck (the next small stream east of the Myanos) and the Patommuck rivers. The brooks Patommuck and Asamuck gave their names severally to those portions of land lying next west of them ; so that the land thus purchased was more particularly called Patommuck. The nature of the bargain will be most easily understood from the deed itself, which we have below transcribed from the early records in the Town Clerk's office. It will be observed that the deed prescribes no northern limit to the tract, and we have no means of ascertain- ing that there was any.


Wee Amogeron, Sachem of Asamuck, and Ram- matthone, Nawhorone, Sachems of Patomuck, have sould unto Robert Feaks and Daniell Patricke all theire rights and interests in all ye severall lands betwene Asamuck river and Patomuck, which Pa- tomuck is a littel river which divideth ye bounds be- twene Capt. Turner's Purchase and this, except ye neck by ye indians called Monakewego, by us Eliza- beth neck, which neck is ye peticaler perchase of Elizabeth Feaks, ye sd Robt. Feaks his wife, to be


23


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


hers and her heaires or assigns, forever, or else to be at ye disposal of ye aforementioned purchasers for- ever, to them and theire heaires, executors or as- signs, and theye to enjoy all rivers, Islands, and ye severall naturall adjuncts of all ye forementioned places, neigther shall ye indians fish within a mille of aney english ware, nor invite nor permit any other indians to sett down in ye forementioned lands : in consideration of which lands ye forementioned purchasers are to give unto ye above named sachems twentie five coates, whereof they have reserved eleven in part payment ; to witness all which, they have hereunto sett theire hands this 18 July, 1640. AMOGERONE, NAWHORONE, AMFSETTHEHONE, KEOFFERAM.


Witness,-ROBERT A. HEUSTED, ANDREW MESSENGER, his [ mark.


RASOBIBITT, SAPONAS,


W HONEHORON,


Their marks.


AKEROQUE,


PAUONOHAS,


POWIATOH.


Keofferam hath sould all his right in ye above sd to Jeffere Ferris.


Witness,-RICHARD WILLIAMS, ANGELL HEUSTED.


These men were then acting with authority


24


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


from the New Haven Colony. They were both noted personages in the early history of New England. They had been the pioneers in the settlement of many places, and were ready to push out into the wilderness at any time when the steady habits of the Puritans threw too many restraints upon their conduct. Elizabeth Feaks, the wife of Robert, had been a widow, and was the daughter of Gov. Win- throp. A few years ago there was but a single descendant of Robert Feaks living in Old Greenwich. Jeffere Ferris has many descendants, a great part of whom never have left the town in which he settled.


Capt. Patrick was an old soldier. He was second in command in the famous Pequot war, which terminated so disastrously to the Indians. It was Patrick's division which made the suc- cessful charge, and fired the fort.


Another distinguished man became a sort of settler on this purchase during the year. Capt. John Underhill was a cunning and crafty En- glish officer. Though still young, he had seen many trials, and learned much by experience. He had been Bearer of Dispatches to Queen Elizabeth, and a tool and confidential servant of the talented but unfortunate Earl of Leices- ter, whose courtship with the homely Queen


25


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


terminated so fatally. On the death of Essex, Underhill enlisted in the army of Holland. He then distinguished himself as a soldier ; and when the Puritans were about to embark on their perilous enterprise, he offered himself for the position of commandant. But after- wards, learning that the brave and popular Miles Standish was thought of for that post, he wisely withdrew his name. In a few years, however, he came to Massachusetts, though his principles were really too loose for the rigid Puritans. He was compelled to depart, and removing to New Hampshire, was made governor of the Dover Colony. But Massa- chusetts obtaining authority over that colony also, he came and settled on a part of Capt. Patrick's purchase in Greenwich. Kindred spirits, both having been engaged in many Indian battles, and of whom Deforest, in his Indians of Connecticut, says,-" Both these men had been members of New England churches, but their conduct had little corre- sponded with their professions ; and, unable to bear the restraint and frequent admonitions which had met them in Massachusetts, they had retired to these lonely shores, where ministers and church committees were few and


.


26


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


far between." Capt. Underhill afterwards moved to Killingworth ; but Capt. Patrick died at his own house in Greenwich, as we shall afterwards see.


With these men there were also some Dutch and some English settlers. Among them were-


Jeffere Ferris, Angell Heusted,


Robert Heusted, Richard Williams,


Andrew Messenger, Everardus Bogardus,


John Winkelman, Cornelius Labden.


Others were spoken of, though not by name, upon the records. . They proceeded to build their houses, and attended to the customary duties of pioneers ; having little to do with their neighbors until forced into contentions which needed to be settled.


AGREEMENTS WITH NEIGHBORS.


The present town of Stamford was originally settled under the name of " Wethersfield Men's Plantation ;" and in October, 1640, a conten- tion and difficulty arose between the two set- tlements concerning their dividing boundary. Accordingly, on the 2d of November of the same year, a meeting was had of those ap-


27


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


pointed to represent their respective towns, and after considerable discussion the following arrangement was effected :-


Wee, the underwritten, mutually Agreed that the Dividing line betwene both our Plantations of Green- wich and Wethersfield Men's Plantation shall begin at Patommog brook, where thee path at present cuts, and run on in a straight line to ye west end of a line Drawne from ye sides of Wethersfield Men's Plan- tation River, which runs by theire towne plot, to bee Drawne on a due west point towards Greenwich bounds, a neat mile, and from ye west end of ye sd line to run due North up into ye contrie, about twentie miles ; These lines to run on ye meridian compass. Nether will aney of us or shall aney for us object against this agreement upon ye account of ye Indians ; although we shall at aney time hereafter conclude a mistake in respect of what each one bought, yett this to stand unalterable, without a mutual consent on both sides. To Testifie which, wee each for our own townes have sett to our hands this 2ond Nov. 1640.


DANIEL PATRICK, ROBT. FEKES, ANDREW WARDE, ROBERT COE, RICHARD GILDERSLEEVE.


The first two of these were the representa- tives of Greenwich, and the remainder from


28


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


Stamford. With the removal of this bone of contention the inhabitants expected peace ; but the Dutch began to reiterate their claims against the English. The former seemed determined, and hostility all but ripened into war. As has been said, Greenwich was osten- sibly purchased under the favor of the New Haven Colony. But our settlers, not having drawn much sustenance from that colony, and perhaps being somewhat averse to some of its laws, did not feel strongly bound to that power. Hence, tired of contention and strife, and withal, as they say, being convinced of the rightfulness of the Dutch claim, they signed over, in an agreement written at New Amster- dam, of which the following is a translation. Doubtless self-interest was looked at as much as any thing, and the deed was done with an eye to the stronger arm with which the Dutch could defend them from the Indians. But here is the record :-


Whereas, we, Capt. Daniel Patrick and Elizabeth Feake, duly authorized by her husband ' Robert Feake, now sick, have resided two years about five or six miles east of the New Netherlands, subject to the Lord States General, who have protested against us, declaring that the said land lay within their


-


29


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


limits, and that they should not allow any person to usurp it against their lawful rights; and whereas, we have equally persisted in our course during these two years, having been well assured that his Majesty the King of England had pretended some to this soil; and whereas, we understand nothing thereof, and cannot any longer presume to remain thus, on account both of this strife, the danger consequent thereon, and these treacherous and villainous Indians, of whom we have seen so many sorrowful examples enough. We therefore betake ourselves under the protection of the Noble Lord States General, His Highness the Prince of Orange, and the West India Company, or their Governor General of New Ne- therlands, promising for the future to be faithful to them, as all honest subjects are bound to be ; where- unto we bind ourselves by solemn oath and signa- ture, provided we be protected against our enemies as much as possible, and enjoy henceforth the same privileges that all Patroons of the New Netherlands have obtained agreeably to the Freedoms. 1642, IXth of April, in Fort Amsterdam.


DANIEL PATRICK,


Witnesses,-EVERARDUS BOGARDUS, JOHANNE ANNES WINKLEMAN.


Greenwich, from that time, became a manor, and Capt. Patrick and Feaks were Patroons of the Manor, with all the privileges of other patroons. The two witnesses to their agree-


.


30


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.


ment were then residents of the Manor ; and it was, doubtless, in a great measure owing to their influence that the agreement was ever executed.


TROUBLE WITH THE INDIANS.


Wm. Keift became the Governor-General of the New Netherlands in the year 1638, or two years previous to the settlement of Green- wich, and four years before the writing was signed placing the town under the control of that officer. He was the successor of Wouter Von Twiller, the fat, good-natured Dutchman, who had, by a kind and hospitable manner, in a great measure conciliated the fierce Indians about the settlements. But with the new governor came a change. He was cruel- minded and revengeful in the extreme. Hav- ing collected some half-a-dozen advisers, all congenial spirits, he brought the colony, and all connected with it, into the greatest trouble, by the extreme severity which he exercised toward the natives. So revengeful was he in his disposition, that sooner than let a crime go unpunished he would take full vengeance upon the relatives of the accused, when the criminal himself had escaped.


31


HISTORY OF GREENWICH.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.