A history of the town of Greenwich, Fairfield County, Conn., with many important statistics, Part 12

Author: Mead, Daniel M. [from old catalog]
Publication date: 1857
Publisher: New York, Baker & Godwin, printers
Number of Pages: 334


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Greenwich > A history of the town of Greenwich, Fairfield County, Conn., with many important statistics > Part 12


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15


1636. First General Court in Connecticut.


1640. Settlement of Greenwich.


1642. Greenwich ceded to the Dutch. '


1643. Indians massacred at New Amsterdam.


1644. First expedition against Petuquapaen.


1644. Capt. Daniel Patrick shot by a Dutch officer.


1645. Petuquapaen finally destroyed.


1650. Boundary line of Connecticut removed to west side of Greenwich.


247


APPENDIX.


1656. Riotous inhabitants threatened by General Court.


1656. Settlement by Mead, Studwell, Hobby, and Hubbard, with several others, mostly coming from Long Island.


1664. Boundary line removed to Mamaroneck River.


1666. First school-house built.


1672. 27 proprietors purchased West Greenwich.


1673. Rye still accounted a part of Connecticut. 1676. Rev. Mr. Wizwale invited to preach.


1678. Rev. Mr. Peck came and settled.


1681. First recorded marriage is that of John Mead, jun., to Miss Ruth Hardey.


1683. Boundary of Connecticut settled at Byram River.


1685. Grist mill built at Dumpling Pond.


1688. Number of legal voters, forty-nine.


1689. Rev. Jeremiah Peck dismissed.


1691. Rev. Abraham Pierson preaching.


1691. Voted to have a new meeting-house.


1694. Mr. Pierson left Greenwich.


1695. Mr. Salmon Treat commenced preaching.


1695. Grand List £2,638 8s.


1696. John Mead's Will.


1697. Mr. Treat left the town.


1697. Rev. Joseph Morgan began preaching.


1700. Rev. Nathaniel Bowers settles in Old Green- wich.


1700. Rev. Joseph Morgan moves to Horseneck.


1703. Town-meetings began to be held one-half time in Horseneck.


248


APPENDIX.


1704. Rev. George Muirson, an Episcopal clergy- man, preached in Greenwich occasionally, he being settled over the parish at Rye.


1705. Mr. Morgan builds mill at Indian Harbor.


1705. Final separation of the town into two religious societies. Permanent articles of agreement made.


1708. Mr. Morgan dismissed from active duty as minister at Horseneck.


1707 or 1708. Mr. Nathaniel Bowers left preaching in Old Greenwich. During a short period here, neither society had a minister.


1713. A question of reunion of the societies arose, which was never carried out.


1716. Mill and dock built at mouth of Horseneck Brook.


1717. Rev. Richard Sackett commenced preaching at Horseneck


1724. Horseneck Brook Dock enlarged.


1727. Rev. Mr. Sackett died.


1728. Rev. Stephen Munson settled at Horseneck.


1730. Rev. Mr. Munson died in May.


1732. Rev. Abraham Todd settled at Horseneck.


1739. War declared against Spain by Great Britain.


1740. Rev. James Wetmore, an Episcopal church- man, settled at Rye, preached regularly once a month in Greenwich.


1744. War declared against France by Great Britain. 1745. Mrs. Ruth Peck, wife of Samuel Peck, died. 1746. Death of Samuel Peck, aged 90.


249


APPENDIX.


1747. Rev. Ebenezer Dibble, D.D., an Episcopal clergyman preached one half the time at Greenwich, and the other half at Stamford.


1748. Peace concluded with France and Spain.


1749. First Episcopal church built.


1755. Second war with France begun.


1756. War actually declared in May.


1759. Connecticut troops at Ticonderoga, and a company from Greenwich among them.


1760. Peace again concluded with France.


1763. Permission to David Bush to build a mill.


1768. Town petitioned to make Norwalk a shire- town.


· 1774. On the 21st of March, the town takes prompt action in opposition to a suit before the King, in reference to western lands.


1774. On the 17th of October, the town takes strong action in favor of a revolution, and appoints a committee to raise sums by sub- scription, to be sent to Boston.


1775. February the 8th, Dr. Amos Mead and John Mackay were appointed delegates to a County Congress.


1775. December 13th, thirteen persons were ap- pointed a Committee of Safety.


1776. Jesse Parsons, Town Clerk, died July 26th.


1777. Remonstrance against Col. Enos's conduct.


1778. January 12th, doings of Continental Congress indorsed.


1778. December 14th, Tories outlawed.


250


APPENDIX.


1779. Gov. Tryon makes his expedition to Horse- neck on the 26th of February. Gen. Putnam makes his daring escape from the band of Tories under the command of Thomas Merritt. 1780. Town House and law books sold.


1781. The skirmish of King street. The Americans under Lieut. Mosher, and the British under Col. Holmes.


1783-4. Petition of the town to be released from taxes for these years, and to be paid the amount of damages sustained.


1784. The Church call the Consociation to dismiss Rev. John Murdock.


1787. Liberty granted to the brothers Titus to " rebuild their mills at Mianus.


1787. Dr. Amos Mead and Col. Jabez Fitch ap- pointed delegates to the convention to ratify or disapprove of the Federal Constitution.


1793. The town oppose the clergy fund.


1802. Proposition to build a Town-house was voted down.


1803. Opposed the Turnpike road.


1812. War broke out in June.


1813. Wondrous display of valor.


1818. Clark Sanford, Esq., and Enos' Lockwood, Esq., elected delegates to the State Constitu- tional Convention, which was held on the fourth Wednesday in August.


1828. A great many sheep killed by dogs.


1834. Town-meeting held at Methodist church, at Mianus.


251


APPENDIX.


1835. Voted to build a Town House.


1836. Town meeting held at new house.


1850. The grand finale of Skimetons.


1853. Greenwich a Probate District.


18 56. Trial of Glenville-road case.


1857. History of Greenwich published.


THE SECOND CONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY.


The final separation of the second from the old Congregational Society by their recorded agree- ment did not take place until the year 1705. But a virtual separation took place in 1700, when the Old Greenwich people, having contracted a dislike for Mr. Morgan, because of certain favors which he granted to Horseneck, refused to hear him, and asked the Reverend Nathaniel Bowers to preach to them; and the Horseneck people invited Mr. Mor- gan to preach to thein exclusively. A more minute history of the doings of the town in relation to that matter, may be found upon the preceding pages of this volume.


Mr. Morgan seems to have preached regularly to the congregation of the Second Society, only until 1708 ; after which time the pulpit was filled by him and other transient preachers until 1717, when a call was extended to the Rev. Richard Sackett, who came and preached for the Society to the time of his death, which occurred in 1727. He was succeeded by the Rev. Stephen Munson, who came here in


252


APPENDIX.


1728, built Mr. Solomon Mead's old house, and preached until his death, which occurred only two years after, in May, 1730. His next settled succes- sor was the Rev. Abraham Todd, who settled in 1733 and preached until his death, which occurred 1773, after forty years' service as pastor. He was buried in the old burying-ground, in Davis' lane. In 1769 the Society "by vote impowered Mr. Tod to desire one or more persons to tune the Psalm as he shall see proper."


After the death of Mr. Todd (of whom, and the pastors which preceded him, much more is said in the body of this work), Rev. Amos Butler and others supplied the pulpit for about a year. In 1774, Capt. John Grigg and Henry Mead, being appointed a committee for that purpose, extended a call to Rev. Jonathan Murdock. The salary offered him was one hundred pounds, and a bonus of two hundred pounds, one-third of which was to be paid in three months, one-third at the end of the first year, and the remainder at the end of the second year. Mr. Murdock accepted the call, and had an immediate settlement, Oct. 20th, 1777. "Further the society voted that Mr. Murdock be appointed to say when the Psalms shall be read line by line, there being often several strangers who have no book." During the year 1781, Mr. Murdock released the Society from paying his salary, on account of their poverty, and did not preach.


On the first Monday in April the Society fully


253


APPENDIX.


concurred with the church in requesting Mr. Mur- dock to unite with them in asking for his dismission, after the question had been seriously considered through several meetings. On his refusal to unite with his church and congregation, the people pre- pared the grave charges against him, found upon a preceding page of this work. They finally, how- ever, compromised the matter by the payment to Mr. Murdock, of the one years' salary which he had previously released ; and he united with his oppo- nents and obtained a dismission.


Rev. Mr. Austen followed him, and preached as supply for a period of six months, when Rev. Isaac Lewis, afterwards Doctor of Divinity, preached for three months with a view to settlement. After- wards, on the 24th of August 1786, a call to settle was extended to him, which was answered by letter On the 19th of the following September, as follows :


To the Church and Members of the West Society in Greenwich.


Brethren and Friends,-Your choice of me as your pastor, and the offers you have made for my temporal support, have been duly considered. I thank you for the confidence you have put in me, and for the generosity of your proposals. Would, however, observe that in order to my reaping the benefit from the parsonage lands, which, I have no doubt, the society really intends me, it will be necessary that they be put in proper repair, with suitable division fence. If the Society will see this matter accomplished and your unanim- ity continues, I will accept the important office to which you


12


254


APPENDIX.


have chosen me. Humbly relying on the all-sufficiency of Divine Grace to enable me to discharge its duties and earn- estly requesting a union of your prayers with mine to the Great Head of the Church, that the proposed relation may be a mutual and lasting blessing,-


I am, Brothers, your cordial friend and servant in the Lord.


ISAAC LEWIS.


The request of Mr. Lewis was granted, and he was soon afterwards settled in the work of the ministry, with one hundred pounds salary.


For several years previous to 1798, the subject of a new meeting-house was brought up and discussed ; but the subject failed to meet the approbation of the Society, until, on the 15th of January, 1798, the Society "judged it necessary to build a new meet- ing-house. The question being put, there appeared more than three quarters in the affirmative."


"Further voted that they accept of the proposals of the subscribers. Then voted that Abraham Husted be the Treasurer to receive the subscribers' money." The Society then voted that " Decon Abraham Mead" and Benjamin Mead, Esqs., be a committee to superintend the purchase of materials, and defraying the necessary expenses of building said house. Voted, that the above committee pro- ceed, as soon as the season will admit, to build the meeting-house. Further voted, that the committee should contract to have it built by the great if they think it necessary. The meeting dismist by vote."


" Recorded by JOB LYON, Clerk."


1


APPENDIX.


SUBSCRIPTION LIST.


We, the subscribers, inhabitants of the West Society in Greenwich, do promise to pay unto Abraham Husted, the sum in money annexed to our several names, viz. one third of such subscribed sum on the first day of March next, and one third on the first day of June next, and one third on the first day of October next, to be applied to the only purpose of and for building a meeting house or a church for publie worship in said Society, which house is to be made of wood, and in length fifty-two feet, in width forty feet, and in height twenty-one feet, with a steeple of a suitable length and to be set on the same spot of ground or within eight rods of the same where the present house stands, which money so subscribed shall by the said Husted be paid to such persons or person who shall by the subscribers be appointed to superintend the purchase of materials and defraying the necessary expenses of completing said house, and this sub- seription to be in force if three thousand dollars are sub- seribed, if not to be void.


Dated at Greenwich the 23d day of November, 1797.


SUBSCRIBERS' NAMES.


Amos Mead,


$125


Lois Holly,


$5


Richard Mead,


125


Jerusha Graham,


100


Abraham Mead,


250


Peter Avery,


2


Zaccheus Mead,


60


Joshua Banks,


5


Jared Mead,


125


Nathaniel Ferris,


2


Jonah Mead,


125


John Banks,


5


Benjamin Peck, .


40


John Addington,


9


Robert Mead,


125


Henry Grigg,


10


Nehemiah Mead, jr.,


70


Stephen Holmes,


15


Peter A. Burtis,


60


David Holmes,


10


George Lockwood,


30


Nehemiah Mead,


30


Wm. Skidmore,


30


Peter Husted,


70


Joseph Reynolds,


20 Abraham Husted,


70


Phebe Mead,


5 Joshua Mead,


100


255


256


APPENDIX.


Ebenezer Mead, .


$100 [ Abraham Reynolds,


$10


Job Lyon,


45


Joshua Mead,


30


Isaac Weed,


8 Robert Mead, . 15


George More,


8 Daniel Banks,


10


Peter Mead,


46 Sarah Mead, .


12


Margaret Knapp,


5


Nehemiah Mead, jr.,


18


Jabez Fitch,


60


Ebenezer Mead,


25


Amos Green,


5


Abraham Mead,


50


Benj. Holmes,


10


Ambrose Reynolds,


40


Ebenezer Hubby,


30


Eliphalet Peck, .


1


Squire Hubby,


25


John Mills,


5


Squire Hubby,


5


James Knapp,


2


Squire Holly,


5


Charles Lyon,


4


Noah Stiles,


5


Nathaniel Peck,


6


Isaac Holly,


25


Caleb Lyon, .


6


Reuben Holmes,


15


Oliver Fairchild,


5


Hardy Mead,


10


Gilbert Peck,


5


Shadrach Mead,


25


Nathaniel Finch


25


Martha Ritch,


4


David Brown,


8


Lydia Reynolds,


12


Robert Peck, jr.,


20


Theophilus Peck,


20


James Brown,


5


Solomon Peck,


3 Gilbert Close,


10


Thomas Hubby, jr.


15


Hannah Peck,


5


Charles Peck,


20 Samuel Peck,


30


Jeffery Felmetta,


15


Nathaniel Mead,


30


John Hobby,


20


Gideon Peck,


6


Justus Sackett,


25 David Mead,


40


Nathaniel Mead, jr.,


10


Benj. Mead, 100


Jacob Fletcher, .


10 Caleb Lyon, jr.,


10


Thomas Hubly,


30


Reuben Green, jr.,


5


Jabez M. Hobby,


15


Elisha Belcher,


30


Hezekiah Hobby,


15


Isaac Peck, jr., .


20


Peter Moe,


3


Jabez Husted,


10


Stephen Davis,


10


Levi Ingersoll,


1


Justus B. Mead,


10 Daniel Davis,


3


Israel Peck,


30


Matthew Mead, .


1


Titus Mead,


40


Matthew Mead, jr ,


1


Abraham Mead,


10


Silas Mead, jr., and


Amos Meàd,


10


'Abner Mead,


70


Samuel Peck, jr.,


15


Gideon Close,


10


Total,


$3,076


.


It will be noticed that the names of some are re- peated more than once, they having made an addi-


257


APPENDIX.


tional subscription in order to secure the raising of the three thousand dollars, which was called for. The house was placed ten or twelve feet south of the old one, and the former house was moved out of the way and left standing for use during the building of the new one. After the completion of this build- ing, which was not walled, David Webb, Orrin Marvin, and Enos Knapp were appointed arbitrators, to decide whether the building was completed in a workmanlike manner. Their decision was against the builders ; and they decreed that the amount of four hundred and thirty dollars and fifty cents should be deducted from the amount to be received by the builders. The seats were taken out of the old house, and put in the new one. The cost of the steeple was $197,33.


FIRST SALE OF PEWS.


No. 1. To Isaac Lewis, D.D., Gratis.


2. " Nehemiah Mead, 3d, $8 50


3. " Jerad Mead, . 6 00


4. " Joshua Mead,


4 50


5. " Benjamin Mead, . 5 00


66 6. " Dr. Shadrach Mead, 4 50


66 7. " Richard Mead, 3 50


66 8. " Richard Mead, 3 75


66 9. " Gilbert Peck, . 2 00


" 10. " Solomon Peck, 1 00


" 11. " Abraham Mead, . 2 00


258


APPENDIX.


No. 12. To Benjamin Mead, 3 00~


" 13. " Silas Mead, 2 50


" 14. 66 Benjamin Holmes, 1 25


15. Zaccheus Mead, . 1 00


" 16. " Nehemiah Mead, 1 75


17. " Robert Mead, . 2 00


18. Jonathan Close, 2 25


19. Peter Mead, . 3 00


" 20. " John R. Cosine, 7 00


" 21. Gilbert Close, . 5 00


" 22. " Abraham Mead, 6 00


" 23. Stephen Waring, 11 00


“ 24. " Peter A. Burtis, 11 00


Total,


$97 50


At the sale of the next year (1803), the same pews sold for $202 50. The sexton was paid fifteen dollars, for taking care of the church and ringing the bell. The latter was imported from England, at a cost of one hundred dollars, by Benjamin Mead, as may be seen by his bill of sale to the Society, re- corded in their books.


The origin of the Society's fund was in a subscrip- tion, made to and accepted by the Society, in 1816. The subscription was to be void unless two thousand dollars were raised, and the amount was to remain upon interest during the pastorate of Dr. Lewis ; and after the cease of his ministry, the avails of it were to be devoted to the support of the ministry. The following persons contributed to the fund :-


1


Rev. Isaac Lewis, D.D.,


$50


Joshua Mead,


$50


Abraham Mead,


150


Robert Mead,


50


Jabez Mead,


100


Stephen Waring, 50


Samuel Peck,


25


Isaac Holly,


25


Elisha Belcher,


100


Alvan Mead,


50


Isaac Mead,


200


Jonathan Mead, Jr.,


50


Daniel S. Mead,


50


Ambrose Reynolds,


50


Noah and Jonas Mead,


100


Gideon Close,


50


Zenas Mead,


100


Israel Peck,


30


Nehemiah Mead, Jr.,


100


Eliphalet Peck,


35


Darius Mead, Jr.,


25


Platt Mead,


15


Reuben Holmes,


15


Elnathan Husted,


50


Zaccheus Mead,


50


Jehiel Mead, Jr.,


40


Timothy Walker,


25


Silas H. Mead,


50


Jabez M. Hobby,


25


Samuel Close,


5


Hezekiah Hobby,


20


Seymour Hobby,


25


Nathaniel Hibbard,


50


Jonah Mead,


100


Job Lyon,


50


Obadiah Mead,


35


Shadrach Mead,


.


50


Caleb Husted,


15


Gilbert Close,


50


Amos Husted,


25


Isaac Peck, Jr.,


50


Aaron Husted,


25


Elias Purdy,


25


Total,


2,475


.


.


200


David Mead,


50


Zophar Mead,


APPENDIX.


259


In 1818, Rev. Isaac Lewis, D.D., requested to be relinquished from taking further care of the church, after having acted as pastor of the church for thirty- four years. The Society voted that he should never lack their support, and invited his son, Rev. Isaac Lewis, jun., to become their pastor, with a salary of eight hundred dollars. He accepted, and was in- stalled soon after his letter of acceptance, which was dated on the 2d of November, A. D. 1818. At the next sale of pews the amount of $299 50 was real- ized. In 1821, it was " Voted, that hereafter, in all cases each person who shall bid off a pew in the meeting-house, shall procure another person, to the


260


APPENDIX.


acceptance of the committee, as security, both of whose names shall be entered by the Clerk, and shall be considered as joint purchasers of said pew, and a failure of such security being procured, said pew shall be again put up for sale, and such person shall be debarred from bidding again during that meeting."


In 1822, for the first time, the meeting-house was warmed by a stove. This innovation was struggled against by many, but the minority were obliged to endure the innovation.


In 1827, Silas Harvey Mead, Calvin Mead, Lu- ther Mead, Heman Mead, Levi Mead, Darius Mead, Obadiah Mead, Jehiel Mead, Nathaniel Knapp, Isaac Peck, 3d, Seymour Hobby, Allen Hobby, Gilbert Close, and Sarah Mead, withdrew from this Society for the purpose of forming the North Green- wich Congregational Society.


In 1828, a lightning-rod was erected upon the steeple. During this year, the Society united with the church in desiring the dissolution of the pastoral relation existing between them and the Rev. Isaac Lewis, jun. Mr. Lewis at first opposed this action ; but finally the matter was arranged, and he con- sented to leave, after nearly ten years' ministry.


On the 10th of September, 1828, it was " Voted, that Rev. Noah C. Saxton receive pay at the rate of six hundred dollars per annum at the termination of his labor, &c. He, with others, filled the minis- terial office until 1829. The Society directed the fund agents (Zenas Mead and Thomas A. Mead) to


261


APPENDIX.


pay to the North Greenwich Society so much of the fund as had been subscribed by the persons now members of that Society ; and afterwards by another vote, to pay them so much as had been subscribed by persons living north and west of Pimpewig Brook.


In 1829 Rev. Albert Judson acted as supply, at the salary of six hundred dollars, and at a special meeting on the 29th of May, in the same year, a call was extended to the Rev. Simeon North, who did not accept, although a full salary of eight hun- dred dollars was offered. Afterwards, on the 7th of January, 1830, a call was extended to the Rev. Joel Mann. The vote was 33 yeas, 5 nays, and 14 silent. He was at first offered a salary of seven hundred dollars, which he refused. By a vote of twenty- three to ten, eight hundred dollars was then offered him, which he accepted. It was further voted that the ground lying northeast of the church (the present parsonage place), should be purchased, and that a parsonage house should be erected upon it at a cost not to exceed the sum of two thousand three hun- dred dollars. Out of his salary Mr. Mann was to pay a four per cent. rent for the use of this parson- age. This was protested against by Stephen Waring, William Husted, Ephraim Mead, William Mead, Joshua Reynolds, Ambrose Reynolds, jun., Drake Mead, Benjamin Reynolds, Daniel Peck, Drake Mead, and Peter Mead, on various grounds, but chiefly that inasmuch as this is an agricultural com-


12*


262


APPENDIX.


munity, the minister should be like to them ; and the old parsonage land, which was by this arrangement to be sold, should be retained for the minister to farm upon. They cited, in support of this objection, the course of life pursued by the venerable Dr. Lewis, and Rev. Platt Buffet, of Stanwich.


Mr. Mann wrote a long letter of acceptance, dated June 12th, 1830. The barn, cistern, &c., at- tached to the parsonage were built in 1831. Also during this year, the old barrel pulpit was removed by individuals having obtained permission from the Society, and a more modern one was substituted.


By a note, dated Nov. 23d, 1835, Mr. Mann re- quested the Society to unite with him in asking for his dismission, and at a special meeting held the same day, the Society concurred. The Consociation, however, refused to dismiss him ; whereupon he again applied for a separation, bringing certain charges against the church, the principal of which was laxity in discipline. Hezekiah Hobby, Samuel Close, Drake Mead, John Knapp, A. P. Smith, Wmn. A. Husted, and John C. Sanford (who wished to unite with the Society at Portchester), withdrew from the Society. Also Arad Peck and Solomon Peck. Upon the second application, Mr. Mann was dismissed, after five years' ministry.


On the 30th of March, 1837, a call was extended to the Rev. Noah Coe, who accepted and was soon after installed.


In 1839 a special meeting was called to reconsider


263


APPENDIX.


a former action of the Society in granting to persons the right to erect sheds for horses upon the parson- age ground. The former action was sustained, how- ever, and the sheds were built. Those who opposed the project, were Zenas Mead, Darius Mead, Solo- mon Mead, Isaac Mead, Augustus Mead, Abra- ham D. Mead, Zophar Mead, Joshua Reynolds, Ambrose Reynolds, Jerad Reynolds, Benjamin Reynolds, Job Lyon, Isaac Lyon, Eliphalet Peck, B. W. Husted, Isaac Mead, jun. The principal reasons set forth in their objections were that the congregation would be disturbed by the noise of carriages passing to and from the sheds, and that the encroachment upon the parsonage ground would be too great. However, the sheds were placed much nearer the church than was at first intended.


On the 23d of April, 1845, the Society united with the church in asking for the dismission of Mr. Coe. He refused to concur.


" Ist. Because it is unnecessary to the accom- plishment of your wishes, for you could call the Consociation in your own right.


"2ond. Because I could not by any act of mine share in the responsibility of the measure proposed."


After receiving this answer, the Society by a vote of thirty-one to six, with the church, called the Consociation.


And after a serious and stormy controversy before the Consociation, Mr. Coe was dismissed after an eight years' ministry. Rev. Frederick G. Clark now


264


APPENDIX.


preached for more than a year as supply, receiving a salary of six hundred and fifty dollars. Rev. Mr. Henry, and Rev. Mr. Bushnell, an excellent preacher, also acted as supply until the 28th of August, 1847 ; when the Rev. Joel H. Lindsley, D.D., was tendered a call to settle. The vote upon this question stood thirty-one yeas and two nays, with one blank. He is now (Jan. 1857), the pastor of the church, receiving seven hundred dollars salary, with a present an- nually of two hundred dollars, and the free use of the parsonage and its appurtenances.


On the 7th of December, 1852, a committee was appointed to take into consideration the building of a new church. After various meetings, nothing was accomplished until finally, on the 11th of April, 1856, it was decided by a vote of thirty-five to seven, to build a church of stone, according to a plan pre- sented by the committee. Its position to be a little northeast of the present site, but so near as to render the removal of the old church necessary. The building, in its whole length, including a lecture- room, to be one hundred and thirty-eight feet. Its extreme width, one hundred and ten feet. The tower upon the southeastern corner to be one hundred feet high, and the spire upon the opposite front corner, two hundred feet.


The building was contracted for by Robert W. Mead, Esq., one of the largest subscribers, at the following estimate :


265


APPENDIX.


Mason work, including stone furnished, cut, and set, $10,000 Cartage, breaking stone, and sand, 4,100




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.