USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Greenwich > A history of the town of Greenwich, Fairfield County, Conn., with many important statistics > Part 11
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15
WILTON, though organized as a society in the town of Norwalk in 1726, was not incorporated as a town until 1802. The chief occupation of the inhabitants is agriculture. There is a silver mine in the limits of this town, which has not been worked since the Revolutionary war. Wilton is the birth-place of Prof. Stuart, of Andover Theological Seminary.
DARIEN, formerly known as the Middlesex Parish, in the town of Stamford, was incorporated as a town in 1820. Throughout the Revolution, a large num- ber of the inhabitants of this district were Tories.
220
APPENDIX.
Dr. Moses Mather was preaching in the Congrega- tional Church on Sunday the 22d of July, A. D. 1781, when a party of Tories completely surrounded the church and took most of the people prisoners, only a few young men escaping through the win- dows. Two shots were fired at these; but they dare fire no more, as three guns was the well known sig- nal of alarm in this part of the country. All the males were then tied two and two and led out of the church, with the venerable Dr. Mather at their head. The Tories also carried off some forty horses belonging to the congregation which had assembled, and marched the prisoners to the Sound shore, where they were embarked for Lloyd's Neck on Long Island. From thence they were taken to New York, and confined in the Provost prison, where they underwent the most severe treatment. The following contains a portion of a poem entitled
A Poetical Relation of the Capture of the Congregation at Middlesex, with an Account of their Sufferings, &c., while in captivity ; by Peter St. John.
Now to relate 'tis my intent A sad and tragical event. 1 On what I write you may rely, As I've the history lying by. July the twenty-second day, Where Christians meet to sing and pray, In seventeen hundred and eighty-one, An horrid action was begun.
221
APPENDIX.
While to the Lord they sing and pray, The Tories, who in ambush lay, Beset the house with brazen face ; At Middlesex it was the place. A guard was placed the house before, Likewise behind and at each door. Then, void of shame, those men of sin The sacred temple entered in. The Rev. Mather closed his book,- How did the congregation look ? The reverend priest, the man of God, Severely felt the smarting rod,- Not by a whip do I pretend, But by abuses from those friends. How must he feel to see his sheep Thus worried, whilst they silence keep. Those demons plundered what they could, Either in silver, or in gold. The silver buckles, which we use Both at the knees and on the shoes, These caitiff's took them ; in their rage Had no respect for sex or age. And as they all were searching round, They several silver watches found. They who were placed as guards without, Like raging devils ranged about, Took forty horses to the shore, Not many either less or more ; With bridles, saddles, pillions on, In a few minutes all was done. The men which hence they took away, Upon this sacred awful day,
222
APPENDIX.
Was forty-eight, besides two more They chanced to find upon the shore. When to the shore they were conveyed, The orders given they obeyed. On board the shipping they were sent, But greatly feared the sad event ; As well they might, because they knew Their captors were the Devil's crew. They hoisted sail, the Sound they cross'd, And near Lloyd's neck they anchored first. Then every man must tell his name ; A list they took, and kept the same. Now twenty-four of fifty men Were ordered home again ; The twenty-six who stay'd behind, Most cruelly were they confined ; On board the brig were ordered quick, And were confined beneath the deck. A nasty hole, with filth besmear'd,- But 'twas no more than what they fear'd.
*
But to return whence I left off, They at our misery made a scoff,- Like raging devils tore about, Swearing they'd tear our vitals out ; ,
That they'd no quarter ever give, Nor let a cursed rebel live ; But would their joints in pieces cut ;- Then round the deck like devils strut. Oh, human nature, how depraved ! Can any mortal e'er be saved ?
223
APPENDIX.
So void of good, so full of evil, And wholly bent to serve the Devil. July the four and twentieth day, We all were sent to Oyster Bay.
We to the ferry came at last, View'd by spectators as we past : The gazing rabble, tory throng, Would curse us as we passed along. Ten thousand curses round us rung ; But some would laugh, and some would sneer, And some would grin, and some would leer. A mixed mob, a medley crew, I guess, as e'er the Devil knew. To the Provost we then were haul'd, Though we of war were prisoners called ; Our irons now were ordered off,- The standers-by would swear and scoff. But O, what company we found ! With great surprise we looked around ! I must conclude that in this place We found the worst of Adam's race ; Thieves, murderers, and pickpockets too, And every thing that's bad they do. One of our men found, to his cost, Three pounds of York money he had lost ;- His pockets picked, I guess, before We had been there one single hour.
*
Full eighteen days, or something more, We fairly were exchang'd before ;
224
APPENDIX.
Of the exchange they let us know, Or from that place of bondage go. That of the number twenty-five, But just nineteen were left alive ; Four days before December's gone. In seventeen hundred eighty-one.
BRIDGEPORT was formerly part of the parish of Stratfield, in the town of Stratford, and also a part of the town of Fairfield. It was incorporated as a town in 1821. The city of Bridgeport was incor- porated as such in 1836, and is situated on the mouth of the Pequanick river, at the head of a harbor two miles from the Sound. At the close of the Revolutionary war, there were only twelve houses where the city now stands. The population in 1790 was only one hundred and ten, while in 1850 the population is seven thousand five hundred and fifty-eight. Bridgeport is one of the county towns for Fairfield County. The Court-house is as good a one as can be found in the United States.
MONROE, formerly a part of Huntington, was in- corporated in 1823. It contains about twenty-six square miles.
WESTPORT, formerly known by the Indian name of Langatuck, was formed from the territory of Fairfield, Weston, and Norwalk. It was settled as part of those towns, and incorporated by itself in 1835. It contains about seventeen square miles.
225
APPENDIX.
WESTON was incorporated in 1787, being formed by two parishes before that time belonging to Fair- field. It was, however, settled earlier than 1740. With Easton it contained nearly or quite forty square miles. The first Methodist Society in New England is said to have been at Bridgeport ; but the first church built by that denomination of Chris- tians was at Weston. It was known as Lee's chapel.
TRUMBULL, containing a little more than twenty- one square miles, was incorporated from North Stratford in 1798.
EASTON has been, some two or more years since, incorporated as a town by itself, from Weston.
BETHEL, formerly the southeastern corner of Dan- bury, was incorporated as a town in 1855.
Population.
1830.
1850.
Bethel,
See Danbury.
Bridgeport,
2,800
7,558
Brookfield,
1,255
1,360
Danbury, .
4,311
5,964
Darien,
1,212
1,454
Easton,
1,212
1,432
Fairfield,
4,222
3,618
Greenwich,
3,801 ·
5,040
-
226
APPENDIX.
1830.
1850.
Huntington,
1,371
1,301
Monroe,
1,522
1,440
New Canaan, .
1,830
2,601
New Fairfield,
939
927
Newtown,
3,096
3,358
Norwalk,
. 3,792
4,051
Reading,
1,686
1,754
Ridgefield,
2,305
2,237
Sherman,
947
984
Stamford, .
3,707
5,004
Stratford,
1,814
2,040
Trumbull, .
. 1,242
1,313
Weston,
2,997
1,063
Westport, .
2,642
Wilton,
2,097
2,066
The County, (in 1810, 42,739)
. 46,950
59,841
In population Bridgeport ranks the highest, Dan- bury next, then Greenwich, then Stamford, &c.
Variations of Magnetic Needle for Fairfield County.
Place.
Variation. When observed.
'By whom.
Greenwich,
6º38' west. Sept. 1844.
Prof. Renwick.
Stamford,
6º40'
Norwalk,
6°46'
Bridgeport,
6º19'
Sept. 1845.
Black Rock,
6º54'
Legget's Station, 5°41'
Oct. 1847. R. H. Fauntleroy.
227
APPENDIX.
Professional Statistics for 1855.
Attorneys in Fairfield County,
51
Clergy in do do 108
Physicians in do do
84
Sovereigns of England after the Settlement of Greenwich, 1640.
Cromwell.
His son,
1658.
Charles II.,
1660.
James II.,
1685.
William and Mary,
1689.
William III.,
1694.
Anne, .
1702.
George I.,
1714.
George II.,
1727.
George III.,
1760.
The latter ceased to reign in 1811, but lost the colonies in 1776.
List of the Governors of Connecticut.
John Winthrop, from 1650 to 1676, died.
William Leete,
1676 to 1683,
Robert Treat, . 1683 to 1687.
Government was here interrupted for a year and a half.
Robert Treat, . from 1689 to 1698.
Fitz John Winthrop,
1698 to 1707, died.
228
APPENDIX.
Gurdon Saltonstall, . from 1707 to 1724, died.
Joseph Talcott,
1724 to 1741,
Jonathan Law,
1741 to 1750,
Roger Wolcott,
1750 to 1754.
Thomas Fitch,
"6 1754 to 1766.
William Pitkin, . 1766 to 1769, died.
Jonathan Trumbull, .
1769 to 1784.
Matthew Griswold,
1784 to 1786.
Samuel Huntington, .
1786 to 1796.
Oliver Wolcott, 1796 to 1798.
Jonathan Trumbull, .
1798 to 1809, died.
John Treadwell,
1809 to 1811.
Roger Griswold,
66 1811 to 1813, died.
John Cotton Smith,
1813 to 1817.
Oliver Wolcott,
1817 to 1827.
Gideon Tomlinson,
1827 to 1831.
John S. Peters,
1833 to 1834.
Samuel A. Foot, .
1834 to 1835.
John S. Peters,
1835 to 1838.
William W. Ellsworth,
66
1838 to 1842.
Chancey F. Cleveland,
1842 to 1844.
Roger S. Baldwin,
1844 to 1846.
Isaac Toucey,
1846 to 1847.
Clark Bissel,
1847 to 1849.
Joseph Trumbull,
1849 to 1850.
Thomas H. Seymour,
1850 to 1853.
Charles H. Pond, by resig- nation of Seymour, 1853 to 1854.
Henry Dutton, ·
1854 to 1855.
William T. Minor, 66 1855 to 1857.
229
APPENDIX.
The following are the votes of the town for Electors to elect a President and Vice-President of the United States, since 1820, before which time the Electors were chosen by the Legislature :-
In 1820, Monroe rec'd 34.
Opposition 0. Scattering 0.
In 1824, Adams “ 28.
In 1828, Jackson 24.
Adams 89.
0.
In 1832, Jackson " 166.
Opposition 73. 66 47.
In 1836, Van Buren “ 102.
Harrison 64.
0.
In 1840, Harrison " 309.
V Buren 337. 66
6.
In 1844, Polk " 355.
Clay
348. Birney 14.
In 1848, Taylor " 316.
Cass
234. V Buren 49.
In 1852, Pierce " 371. Scott
310. Hale
20.
In 1856, Buchanan “ 377. Fremont
385. Fillmore 119.
The column in italics are the successful candi- dates. When the town first began voting for electors, little interest was taken in the result, which accounted for the paucity of the votes cast. In the vote of 1856, probably every vote was cast which ought to have been deposited. Men were brought from their sick beds, and the greatest excitement prevailed.
Town Officers in 1855.
Samuel Close, Clerk and Register. .
Augustus Mead, .
Treasurer.
Benjamin W. Husted,
Selectman.
Allen Sutton,
Levi Mead,
66
1.
0.
11
230
APPENDIX.
Augustus Mead, . *William H. Dusenbury,
Town Agent. Constable.
John Dayton,
Shadrach Smith,
Charles Ferris,
Philander Button,
Grand Juror.
John B. Wilson, .
Calvin Purdy,
Ard Knapp, Assessor.
Cornelius Ford,
John B. Wilson,
66
Selah Savage, .
John R. Grigg,
James Wilson,
Board of Relief.
Augustus Mead,
Edwin Keeler,
Seth Lyon,
Surveyor.
Wm. H. Dusenberry,
George J. Smith,
·
Collector.
*Jacob D. L. M. Armour,
Justice of the Peace.
John Banks,
Gideon Close,
66
66
Isaac O. Close,
George Derby,
66
William A. Ferris,
Nathan Finch,
66
Conklin Husted,
Ezra Keeler,
66
Ard Knapp,
* All of this list did not take the oath, though all were elected.
231
APPENDIX.
Seth Lyon,
Justice of the Peace.
Alvan Mead,
66
Augustus Mead,
Drake Mead,
Elkanah Mead,
Solomon Mead,
66
66
Samuel Mills,
Augustus R. Newman,
66
Selah Savage,
66
John B. Wilson,
66
Town Officers in 1856.
Samuel Close,
Clerk.
Joseph E. Brush,
Register.
Augustus Mead,
Treasurer.
Allen Sutton, ·
Selectman. 66
Thomas A. Mead,
Levi Mead,
Levi Mead,
Town Agent.
George J. Smith,
Collector.
William H. Dusenberry,
Constable.
John Dayton, .
Philander Button, .
Grand Juror. 66
Seth B. Downs,
James Wilson,
Assessor.
Jabez Mead, jun.
66
Josephus Palmer,
66
Elkanah Mead,
Benjamin Page,
Solomon Mead,
Board of Relief.
232
APPENDIX.
Ezra Keeler,
Board of Relief.
Isaac O. Close
Seth Lyon, .
Surveyor. 66
William H. Dusenberry,
Rev. George H. Dunbar,
George A. Palmer, .
Rev. Frederick Munson,
Seth Lyon,
66
Julius B. Curtis,
Philander Button,
Merritt Geralds,
66
Wm. H. Dusenberry,
66
Town Officers in 1857.
Samuel Close,
Clerk and Register.
Augustus Mead,
Treasurer.
Ard Knapp,
Selectman.
Titus Mead,
George Ferris,
66
George J. Smith,
Collector.
George J. Smith,
Constable.
John Dayton,
Charles Ferris,
B. F. Husted,
George B. Christison,
Isaac Weed, Grand Juror.
John B. Wilson,
Jabez Mead, jun.
66
Gilbert P. Finch,
Henry Dayton. 66
Sch. Visitor Sec. So. 66
.
233
APPENDIX.
John B. Wilson,
Assessor.
Jabez Mead, jun.
B. F. Husted,
Benjamin Page.
James Wilson,
Board of Relief.
Gideon Close,
66
Brush Knapp,
"
William H. Dusenberry,
Surveyor.
Seth Lyon,
Board of School Visitors.
Gideon Close, Chairman.
Daniel M. Mead, Clerk and Acting Visitor, and Examining Committee.
James H. Hoyt, Examining Committee.
Joseph K. Stearns, Acting Visitor, and Examin- ing Committee.
Samuel Mills, Visitor.
Joseph E. Russell,
Jacob R. Williams,
Silas Husted,
George Derby
Justices of the Peace for 1857.
Joseph Brush,
William L. Lyon,
C. Silas Burley,
Augustus Mead,
* Gideon Close, Drake Mead,
* Those in italics only, have taken the prescribed oath and are acting justices.
234
APPENDIX.
George Derby,
Titus Mead,
William A. Ferris,
Daniel M. Griffin,
Benjamin F. Husted,
Samuel Peck,
Conklin Husted,
Joseph E. Russel,
Ezra Keeler,
Ard Knapp,
Minot S. Scofield, James Wilson,
John B. Wilson.
Officers of the Borough for 1857.
Solomon Mead,
Warden.
Samuel Close, .
Burgess.
Alvan Mead,
66
Thomas A. Mead,
Philander Button, .
66
James W. Dominick,
66
Robert W. Mead, .
Clerk and Treasurer.
John Dayton,
.
Bailiff.
Julius B. Curtis,
Attorney.
Augustus R. Newman, William Newman,
235
APPENDIX.
A
BUSINESS DIRECTORY
FOR THE SOUTHERN PART OF THE
TOWN OF GREENWICH,
FOR 1857.
BLACKSMITHING.
William Scofield keeps a blacksmith-shop, con- nected with the carriage-making business, in the village, a few feet north of Sniffin's Corner, on the road leading to Pecksland and Glenville.
Moses Sargent keeps a shop on Bush's Point, at Lower Coscob, near the ship-yard.
Ephraim Lane also keeps a shop at Coscob Vil- lage ; all kinds of blacksmithing done.
Abraham S. Palmer keeps a shop at Mianus, con- nected with a wheelwright's shop.
BOARDING AND SELECT SCHOOLS.
Lewis Howe, A.M., a graduate of Yale College, is the principal of an excellent institution, situated on a beautiful eminence, one door west of the Second Congregational Church. All the branches of edu-
236
APPENDIX.
cation, including music and the languages, are taught. And every facility is offered to the student.
Mrs. Hess keeps an excellent private school for small children, in Mechanic street.
Philander Button, A.M., a graduate of Yale Col- lege, is the principal of the Greenwich Academy, on the corner of Main and North streets. All the branches of an English education are taught, with Latin and Greek; and the institution is in an ex- ceedingly flourishing condition.
Prof. B. A. Norville, formerly Professor in West- ern Reserve College, and Conductor of Music in Centre Church, New Haven, has a full class in music throughout the year, and receives those desiring a thoroughly finished musical education by the term, as boarders, at his place of residence in Greenwich Avenue.
Miss Elathea Newman's private school, at Mianus, is much appreciated as an excellent school by those in the vicinity.
BUTCHERING AND MEAT-SHOPS.
Henry Held keeps a shop for the sale of all kinds of meat, on the west side of Greenwich Avenue, a few rods from the corner of Main street.
Wm. H. Henderson. Shop in Greenwich avenue, opposite Mead and Dayton's building.
Amos M. Brush & Co. Shop at Coscob village. J. Horne & Co. Shop at Mianus.
Isaac O. Close. Shop at Roundhill.
237
APPENDIX.
CABINET-MAKER.
Mr. Hunt. Shop in Greenwich avenue, connect- ed with sash and blind making.
Stephen Stoothoff, near Railroad Depot, connected with general carpenter work.
CARPENTERING.
Isaac Weed. Shop in Greenwich avenue.
Charles Timpany. Shop at the village of Coscob.
William Eddy. Shop at Mianus.
William H. Lyon, at East Portchester.
Many others are engaged in this business, but these are the heaviest contractors.
CARRIAGE-MAKING.
Joseph E. Russel, one door north of Sniffin's corner, on road to Pecksland ; connected with a blacksmith's shop.
Elijah Lent. All kinds of finished carriage- building, at the shop in Mechanic street.
COAL
For sale, by E. Husted, at Caleb W. Merritt's Dock.
CLOCKS REPAIRED.
Jonas Mead, jun., a few doors from Sniffin's corner, on the road to Pecksland.
DRESSMAKERS.
Mrs. William E. Ferris, in Mechanic street. Mrs. Sarah Peck, at Humphrey Denton's.
11*
238
APPENDIX.
Mrs. Gilbert Marshall and Miss Wilmot, at Coscob.
The Misses Davies, at Mianus.
FACTORIES.
Screw and Bolt Factory of Russel, Birdsall & Ward, on the Byram River, a half-mile below Glen- ville.
Tinners' Tools Factory of Josiah Wilcox, on Byram River, two miles north of Glenville.
Isham's Factory, at Glenville.
Rolling Mills, Burrington Hicks, agent, on the Mianus River, at Dumpling Pond.
Sash and Blind Factory of Charles Timpany, a few rods north of Coscob village.
HOTELS.
Augustus Lyon keeps the Mansion House, on the corner of Greenwich avenue and Main street.
Jacob T. Weed keeps Weed's Hotel, on Main street, nearly opposite Greenwich avenue.
Mrs. Bancroft, on Main street.
Joseph E. Page keeps the Railroad House, at Coscob Village.
ICE. John Henderson will supply the people through the season with pure crystal ice.
INSURANCE OFFICE.
Greenwich Mutual Fire Insurance Company, office over the Post-office. Augustus Mead, Presi- dent ; G. J. Smith, Secretary.
239
APPENDIX.
LAWYERS' OFFICES.
Daniel M. Mead, Attorney and Counselor for Connecticut and New York, and Commissioner of the Superior Court. Office in Mead and Dayton's Building, on Greenwich avenue, second story, front room. All kinds of conveyancing carefully attended to.
Julius B. Curtis, Attorney and Counselor at Law, and Commissioner of the Superior Court. Office in Lyon's Building, on Main street, second story. All kinds of conveyancing carefully attended to.
MERCHANTS.
Francis Dauchy, agent for William Hoyt. Oppo- site the head of Greenwich avenue, in Main street. A very extensive assortment of dry goods and groceries for sale.
Peter Acker keeps for sale a constant supply of dry goods and groceries at the Old Stand, on the corner of Greenwich avenue and Main street.
Abraham Acker. Store in Lyon's Building, Main street.
Joseph E. Brush. Dry goods and groceries, on the corner of Mechanic and Main streets.
John Henderson. Confectionery, Main street.
Benjamin Peck. General assortment of goods, Main street, one door from Mechanic street.
Henry S. Banks, Glenville Bridge. Dry goods and groceries.
Mosher & Co., Glenville. Groceries.
240
APPENDIX.
Gould Selleck, Coscob. Dry goods and groceries.
A. and R. Brush & Co. Dry goods and groceries, Coscob Village.
Lockwood P. Clark. Groceries, Coscob.
Joseph Horne & Co. Dry goods and groceries. Mianus.
Charles Ferris, do, Mianus.
Newman and Hewes, dry goods and groceries. Contractors for sewing and general tailoring.
Jesse L. Wessels, East Portchester.
MILLINERY.
Mrs. Coles, in Main street.
Mrs. Elliot, near Railroad Depot.
The Misses Lane, at Coscob Village.
PHYSICIANS.
Dr. Darius Mead. Residence on the brow of Putnam's Hill.
Dr. James H. Hoyt. Residence in the center of the village, on Main street.
Dr. Bartow F. White. Residence is at Round-hill.
Dr. Charles C. Allen. Residence at Coscob Vil- lage.
SADDLERY.
William Mead. Shop a half-a-mile north of Putnam's Hill.
Epenetus Sniffin, on Sniffin's Corner in the Vil- lage.
241
APPENDIX.
SALOONS.
John H. Merritt. On Greenwich avenue. Oys- ters and ice-cream all in their season.
John Henderson. On Main street, about the center of Village. All the delicacies in their season.
Joseph E. Page, at Coscob Village. All kinds of refreshment in their season.
SHIP-YARD.
The ship-yard of Chard, Duff & Palmer, at Coscob, has turned out many elegant, durable, and fast-sailing vessels.
SEXTONS.
Jonas Mead, jun., of Second Congregational Church.
John Hancock, of Episcopal Church.
Gilbert Marshall, of Methodist E. Church.
Others not known to the author.
SHOE-MAKING.
John Dayton, first floor of Mead and Dayton's Building, in Greenwich avenue. An extensive assortment of boots, shoes, and gaiters.
Marshall and Mead, three doors west of Green- wich avenue, in Main street.
Isaac Olmsted, at Coscob.
Daniel Olmsted, at his residence on the road to Pecksland.
242
APPENDIX.
Jonathan Jessup, at Mianus. Henry Dayton, at Mianus.
STABLES AND CONVEY ANCES.
Edward Angevine. Stage line from Depot to every part of the town. John D. Elliot, do. Samuel Finch's line from Banksville.
TAILORS.
George Sillick, at J. E. Brush's store, in Main st. J. Horne & Co., at Mianus.
Newman & Hewes, Mianus.
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Jonas Mead, jun., at the Village.
Humphrey D. Mead & Co., at Glen ville.
Robert M. Harris, at Mianus.
GRAND LISTS.
The following are the Lists of the town for several consecutive years, in the earlier and later periods of the history of Greenwich.
Date.
List in Pounds.
1665,
£1,434 Os.
1666,
1,607 17
1667,
1,632 14
1668,
1,609 15
1669,
.
1,667 10
1670,
.
·
1,897 5
243
APPENDIX.
1671,
£1,806
0
1672,
1,162
0
1673,
2,060
5
1674,
1,915
0
1675,
1,950
0
1676, thirty-six freeholders,
1,719
0
1677, forty
do
1,822
0
1694, sixty-six
do
2,638
8
List in Dollars.
1854,
$2,495,215
1855,
2,680,304
1856,
2,748,578
For a considerable period after the incorporation of the town, it was by far the smallest in the valua- tion of the Grand List. And while its valuation was less than two thousand pounds, that of the neighboring town of Stamford was more than six thousand. They are now about equal.
SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN GREENWICH.
The following are the names of the various school districts in the town, with the number of persons be- tween the ages of four and sixteen in each district, on the first of January, 1857.
1. Old Greenwich, 79
2. Palmer Hill, 33
3. Mianus East, 61
4. Mianus West, 47
5. Steep Hollow, 105
244
APPENDIX.
6. Coscob, . . 108
7. North Coscob, 58
8. Meeting-house, . 321
9. North Street, 39
10. Stanwich, Upper,
73
11. Lower,
102
12. Round Hill,
. 103
13. Pecksland,
40
14. Clabbord Ridge,
43
15. Byram, including East Portchester, 157
16. Factory,
51
17. King street, Lower,
32
18. Upper,
51
19. Quaker Ridge, 55
20. Riverville, 59
1627
The school-houses of the Coscob and Meeting- house school-districts were built in 1851, the former at an expense of about $1,450, including the land, the latter at an expense of about $6,000. A forty- cent tax was laid in the Meeting-house district for the purpose. The building committee were Augustus Mead, Zaccheus Mead, and William L. Lyon, Esqs.
North Greenwich, Old Greenwich, Factory, and Pecksland districts, also built new houses about this time. The Riversville District has now (1857) com- menced a school house of stucco. The building is octagonal in shape, with a porch toward the south.
The East Portchester District was set off by the
245
APPENDIX.
town about the 1st of December, 1856; and the se- lectmen placed the boundaries soon after, which was indorsed by the town at a succeeding town-meeting. East Portchester is a thriving village, on the east- ern bank of the Byram river. The land on which it stands was purchased from a neighboring farmer, and laid out in building lots, only four or five years since. It has built up so rapidly that there are now ninety-four children within the limits of the school- district.
INDIAN NAMES.
Indian.
Modern.
Patommog,
Patommuck Brook.
Asamuck,
Asamuck Brook.
Myanos, or Mehanas,
Petuaqupaen,
Mianus River. Coscob and Old Green- wich.
Betuck quapock,
Dumpling Pond. Horseneck and vicinity .
Miossehasseky,
Sioascock,
Greenwich.
Minniwies, or Menusing, Armonck, or Cokamong, Pimpewig,
Manursing Island.
Byram River.
Pimpewig Brook,
Haseco,
Portchester. Town of Rye.
Poningoe,
Blind Brook.
Quaroppas,
White Plains.
Quinnehtuqut,
Connecticut.
Rippowams,
Stamford.
Mohiccannituck,
Hudson River.
Mockquams,
246
APPENDIX.
Sewanhacky or Mentoac,
land of shells,
Long Island.
Monakewego, ·
Elizabeth, or Greenwich
Point.
Muhhekanno,
Seven "Mohegan" tribes on coast.
CHRONOLOGICAL TABLE.
1492. Columbus discovered America.
1494. John and Sebastian Cabot discovered North America.
1524. John Verazzani do. do.
1602. Bartholomew Gosnold do. do.
1609. Hendrick Hudson discovered Hudson River.
1614. Adrien Block discovered Connecticut.
1614. Greenwich discovered by Adrien Block.
1620. Landing of Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock.
1631. Old Patent of Connecticut issued.
1633. First house built in Connecticut by English. 1633. do. do.
do. by Dutch.
1635. Famine in Connecticut.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.