History of Litchfield county, Connecticut, Part 110

Author: J.W. Lewis & Company (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Publication date: 1881
Publisher: Philadelphia : J.W. Lewis & Co.
Number of Pages: 1532


USA > Connecticut > Litchfield County > History of Litchfield county, Connecticut > Part 110


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52 | Part 53 | Part 54 | Part 55 | Part 56 | Part 57 | Part 58 | Part 59 | Part 60 | Part 61 | Part 62 | Part 63 | Part 64 | Part 65 | Part 66 | Part 67 | Part 68 | Part 69 | Part 70 | Part 71 | Part 72 | Part 73 | Part 74 | Part 75 | Part 76 | Part 77 | Part 78 | Part 79 | Part 80 | Part 81 | Part 82 | Part 83 | Part 84 | Part 85 | Part 86 | Part 87 | Part 88 | Part 89 | Part 90 | Part 91 | Part 92 | Part 93 | Part 94 | Part 95 | Part 96 | Part 97 | Part 98 | Part 99 | Part 100 | Part 101 | Part 102 | Part 103 | Part 104 | Part 105 | Part 106 | Part 107 | Part 108 | Part 109 | Part 110 | Part 111 | Part 112 | Part 113 | Part 114 | Part 115 | Part 116 | Part 117 | Part 118 | Part 119 | Part 120 | Part 121 | Part 122 | Part 123 | Part 124 | Part 125 | Part 126 | Part 127 | Part 128 | Part 129 | Part 130 | Part 131 | Part 132 | Part 133 | Part 134 | Part 135 | Part 136 | Part 137 | Part 138 | Part 139 | Part 140 | Part 141 | Part 142 | Part 143 | Part 144 | Part 145 | Part 146 | Part 147 | Part 148 | Part 149 | Part 150 | Part 151 | Part 152 | Part 153 | Part 154 | Part 155 | Part 156 | Part 157 | Part 158 | Part 159 | Part 160 | Part 161 | Part 162 | Part 163 | Part 164 | Part 165 | Part 166 | Part 167 | Part 168 | Part 169 | Part 170 | Part 171 | Part 172 | Part 173 | Part 174 | Part 175


The first deposit, $39, was made Aug. 23, 1858.


The amount of deposits Oct. 1, 1880, were $566,646 .- 97.


AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY.#


The first meeting for the formation of an agricultu- ral society was held in Wright's Hall, New Milford, July 3, 1858. The society was organized under the name of "The Housatonic Agricultural Society." At first the fairs were held on the lot to the rear of the


present residence of Dr. James Hine; afterwards the society rented grounds of F. S. Richmond, about one mile south of the village of New Milford, on the west side of the Housatonic River.


At a meeting of the society held March 3, 1879, it was voted to merge the society into a joint-stock or- ganization, and at a meeting March 22d a temporary organization was effected. At a meeting June 21st, two-thirds of the stock having been subscribed for the organization, under the name of the " New Milford Agricultural Association," the organization was com- pleted by the election of a board of directors, as fol- lows: William D. Black, Nicholas Staub, Noble Ben- nitt, George W. Squires, Turney Soule, Samuel Thornhill, J. Leroy Buck. Homer L. Wanzer, Walter B. Bostwick, George A. Barnes, H. O. Warner, Charles E. Beeman, and Burr Mallett. W. D. Black was elected President: J. Leroy Buck, Vice-President ; W. B. Dayton, Secretary; Charles Randall, Treas- urer. Subsequently Mr. Dayton resigned his posi- tion, and Robert Erwin was elected to fill the vacancy.


At the annual election in 1880 the old board of directors and officers were re-elected. In 1881, Messrs F. J. Turrill and Charles N. Hall were elected direc- tors in place of George A. Barnes and Charles E. Beeman. At a meeting of the board of directors held May 7, 1881, Col. C. D. Blinn was elected secre- tary in place of Erwin, resigned.


The grounds of the association are to the west of the village, about a mile distant, and are well located. The track is a good one, and suitable buildings for the exhibition of goods have been erected. In 1880 a grand stand was put up. For the two fairs held so far the association has been quite successful, each year leaving a surplus after paying its premiums in full. In 1879 the attendance at the fair and the articles entered for premiums were double those of the old society. There are also stables for the accommo- dation of owners of horses. No liquors are allowed to be sold on the grounds. So far the association has not allowed gambling in any form. In consequence of improvements the association is somewhat in debt. The capital is ten thousand dollars, and nearly all the stock has been taken.


LIBRARY.


The Union Library of New Milford was established in the Centre of New Milford, Feb. 18, 1796. The first meeting of the proprietors of said library was held at the dwelling-house of William Clark, and the following are the names of the original sub- scribers: Sherman Boardman, Elijah Boardman, David S. Boardman, Mathew Brownson, Nathan B. Buckingham, Samuel B. Bnck, Clark Blackney, Ben- jamin Bostwick, Elijah Bostwick, Samuel Bostwick, Reuben Booth, Gerardus Booth, Asa Brownson, Daniel Camp, William Camp, Samuel Bostwick, Ithamer Canfield, Herman Canfield, William Clark, Stephen Chittenden. Jr .. William Doan, Daniel Everitt, Stan-


* Contributed by Robert Erwin.


457


NEW MILFORD.


ley Griswold, Ebenezer Gaylord, William Gaylord, Nathan Gaylord, Daniel Gaylord, Abner Gunn, Epinetus Gunn, Abel Hine, Noble Hine, Beebe Hine, Solomon Hill, Abraham Hayes, C. Lowry, J. Lock- wood, Daniel Lines, Truman Marsh, N. S. Masters, Stephen Miles, John Miles, Stephen Merwin, Noadiah Mygatt, Jonathan Mygatt, David Noble, Jeremiah Platt, Daniel A. Pickett, Joseph Ruggles, John Rob- erts, Philo Ruggles, John Speary, Benoni S. Sanford, Isaac Stone, Eli Starr, Nathaniel Taylor, Nathaniel Taylor, Jr., William Taylor, Gideon Treat, Thomas . Wells, and Philip Wells.


ST. PETER'S LODGE, No. 21, F. AND A. M.,


was reorganized Nov. 23, 1863. A number of the fra- ternity met at Lewis Allen's hotel, in New Milford, on the evening of said day. Jarvis Polley was ap- pointed chairman and F. Richmond, Jr., secretary. The brethren then proceeded to ballot for officers, with the following result : Jarvis Polley, W. M .; T. Richmond, Jr., S. W .; F. N. Allen, J. W .; Geo. Lockwood, Treas .; H. Hertz, Sec.


The lodge-room was first located in the post-office building, on Bank Strect, and on their first regular communication, Jan. 4, 1864, the remaining officers were chosen, as follows : Chas. M. Booth, S. D. ; Oliver S. Hartwell, J. D. It was voted to hold the regular communications on the first and third Tuesday even- ings in each month. The charter members were Jarvis Polley, F. Richmond, Jr., L. N. Jennings, IF. N. Allen, Frederic Percey, Robt. Townsend, Lewis Allen, Isaac Newman, Chas. M. Booth, Oliver S. Hartwell, H. Hertz. March 19th the first death oc- curred.


The following are the Worthy Masters in regular succession : Albert S. Hill, Dec. 19, 1865; C. M. Booth, Dec. 15, 1868; H. O. Warner, Dec. 20, 1870; A. II. McMahon, Dec. 15, 1874; S. C. Landon, Dec. 18, 1877 ; T. M. Trowbridge, Dec. 17, 1878.


The present officers are T. M. Trowbridge, W. M .; Nicholas Staub, S. W .; Geo. S. Beers, J. W .; T. T. Marsh, Treas .; Geo. H. Jackson, Sec .; J. A. North- rop, S. D .; Henry Adams, J. D .; Albert Turrill, Tyler.


Albert Turrill has held the position as Tyler since the organization of the lodge, with the exception of one year, during which time he has not been absent from his post but three or four times.


At the dedication of the Masonic Temple in l'hila- delphia, April 25, 1873, the lodge sent C. M. Booth to witness the ceremony and report to the lodge. On his return Mr. Booth gave the lodge an interesting account of the dedication, with a description of the building, and also presented to the lodge photographs of the Temple. Jan. 1, 1870, the lodge was removed to Schoverling's Buikling, on Railroad Street, near the depot, and Oct. 1, 1879, it was again removed to its present rooms, on Bank Street.


Present membership, ninety-four.


OUSATONIC CHAPTER, No. 33, R. A. M.


This chapter was organized as Weantinang Chap- ter, March 3, 1870. May 19, 1870, it was legally con- stituted as Ousatonic Chapter, under warrant of John H. Barlow, G. H. P. The charter members were Jarvis Polley, G. W. Anthony, T. T. Marsh, Chas. D. Blinn, D. W. Knowles, A. H. McMahon, A. H. Knapp, Eli Hamlin, Ira Keeler, and John E. Knowles. The first officers elected were Jarvis Polley, M. E. H. P .; D. E. Knowles, E. K .; A. H. McMahon, E. S .; M. L. Frost, C. H .; S. C. Landon, R. A. C .; H. O. Warner, P. S .; T. T. Marsh, Trcas .; Geo. W. An- thony, Sec .; Wm. Schoverling, G. M. 3d V .; John E. Knowles, G. M. 2d V .; Oliver S. Hartwell, G. M. 1st V. ; Albert Turrill, Tyler.


The following is a list of succeeding M. E. H. Priests : A. S. Hill, Dec. 28, 1871 ; S. C. Landon, Dec. 28, 1876; A. S. Hill, Dec. 27, 1877.


The present officers are A. S. Hill, M. E. H. P .; T. M. Trowbridge, E. K .; S. C. Landon, E. S .; T. T. Marsh, Treas .; G. W. Anthony, Sec. ; W. F. Bennett, C. H .; J. G. Foster, P. S .; G. S. Beers, R. A. C .; Alex. Levy, G. M. 3d V .; F. A. Bennett, G. M. 2d V .; J. A. Northrop, G. M. Ist V .; Albert Turrill, Tyler.


The chapter held its meetings at first in the Ma- sonic Hall, on Railroad Street, but removed, with St. Peter's Lodge, F. and A. M., to its present rooms, on Bank Street.


Present membership, forty-five.


GOOD SHEPHERDS' LODGE, No. 65, I. O. O. F.,


was instituted July 2, 1877, with the following charter members : John F. Williams, Nathaniel A. Williams, John B. Boughton, Thos. D. Barlow, Geo. S. Beers, and James R. Ferris. The officers chosen were Thos. D. Barlow, N. G .; John B. Boughton, V. G .; Jas. R. Ferris, Scc. ; John F. Williams. Treas. The place of meeting was Beach's Hall, corner West and Bridge Streets. On July 1, 1878, it was moved to Masonic Hall, on Railroad Street, near the depot. Oct. 1, 1879, it was again moved to New Masonic Ilall, on Bank Street, where it now remains.


The Noble Grands have been as follows : John B. Bonghton, January, 1878; Nathaniel A. Williams, July, 1878; Chas. B. Botsford, January, 1879; Gco. E. Eddy, July, 1879; Geo. S. Beers, January, 1880.


The present officers are Lewis W. Mosher, N. G .; Chas, Planz, V. G .; T. M. Trowbridge, Sce .; John B. Sharpe, Treas,


Nov. 13, 1877, Schuyler Colfax delivered a lecture, under the auspices of the lodge, to a large audience, from which the lodge received a handsome profit, a part of which was donated to the yellow fever suf- ferers in Memphis, Tenn.


Since its organization the lodge has lost but two by death. The present membership is forty-six, with an average attendance of sixteen.


458


HISTORY OF LITCHFIELD COUNTY, CONNECTICUT.


THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.


The first fire company in this town was organized May 8, 1830. The old company was finally dis- banded, and in February, 1863, Water Witch Engine Company, No. 2, was organized. The foremen have been as follows: Frederick Boardınan, L. N. Jen- nings, S. L. Erwin, and N. Staub.


THE WATER WITCHI HOSE COMPANY


was organized May 1, 1876. The present officers are as follows: N. Staub, Foreman ; Charles Edwards, First Assistant; Philip Planz, Second Assistant ; T. M. Trowbridge, Secretary ; R. B. Noble, Treasurer ; H. E. Bostwick, Chief Engineer; A. H. McMahon, First Assistant; S. L. Erwin, Second Assistant.


THE ADELPHIC INSTITUTE.


The Adelphic Institute was opened at North Corn- wall, by Ambrose S. Rogers, in 1847, and continued there until 1860, when it was removed to New Mil- ford, and taught there until 1876, a period of twenty- nine years. This institution was highly prosperous, and had a patronage extending to all parts of the United States, the West Indies, and South America. It had over five hundred different pupils, and during the whole period of its continuance not a student sickencd and died. The locality is one of the most healthy and beautiful in New England. During the civil war it was a military school, having the best- drilled teachers to drill the young cadets. Several of its pupils became officers in the United States army. The institution was a great benefit to the town of New Milford, bringing there several thousand dollars yearly. The students had ground allotted them to cultivate, and they were required to furnish some of their best productions for the press, and to take part in a debate once a week. Some of the highest posi- tions in the country are now filled by them.


OLD ADVERTISEMENTS.


THE PARTNERSHIP OF DANIEL AND ELIJAH BOARDMAN,


Merchants in New-Milford,


TS to be dissolved, by mutual agreement, on the first day of March next, at which time all unsettled accounts will be put in suit-an alternative we so anxiously wish to avoid, that we shall readily attend at all proper times, to the adjustment of accounts with our customers ; and for their accommodation, will receive all kinds of country produce usually taken for merchant's debts, at their full value, either on book, or note, if delivered previous to said first of March.


DANIEL BOARDMAN, ELIJAH BOARDMAN.


RyThey are furnished (as usual) with an extensive assortment of EUROPEAN AND INDIA GOODS,


Suitable for all seasons, which are to be disposed of on the lowest terms.


New-Milford, Oct. 10, 1792. 38 12


INOCULATION.


"HE Hospital in New-Milford, will be opened for the reception of T patients, on the first day of September next, where Inoculation for the Small-Pox, will be continued through the fall, winter and spring months, by


New-Milford, July 23, 1792.


LEMUEL THOMAS. 26


THE TOBACCO INTEREST.


As early as 1852, George McMahon commenced the raising of tobacco and manufacturing cigars in a small way. In 1868, E. A. Wildman erected the first to- bacco warehouse in the town, and in that year five hun- dred cases were packed. In 1869, Schoverling & War- ner also erected a large and commodious warehouse. These two concerns were the pioneers of the present immense business. The business is at present (Octo- ber, 1880) represented by the following firms, and during the past year about five thousand cases were packed : Warner & Myers, W. M. Schoverling, E. A. Wildman & Co., P. Soule & Bro., Bristol & Staub, N. Lachenbruck & Bros., Hall & Friedman, Robert Irwin, B. J. Stone, F. S. Richmond, Martin L. Hun- gerford, and Duane Gaylord.


T. Soule &' Bro .- This business was commenced in the fall of 1866, under the firm-name of T. Soule & Bro., doing the first year about six thousand dollars of contract building, besides some day-work. The business rapidly increased, and for eight years prior to 1879 the contract-work amounted to thirty-five thou- sand dollars annually. The firm until this time had consisted of Turney Soule and Daniel E. Soule. They had also for the last eight years been packers and dealers in leaf tobacco, packing annually from four hundred to seven hundred cases. In January, 1880, the firm sold out a half-interest in the building and lumber, flour, feed, etc., to George H. Lines and Frederic A. Lines, changing the firm-name to Soule Bros. & Co. The old firm still continued the tobacco business, under the firm-name of T. Soule & Bro. They built in New Milford village, during fourteen years, some seventy-five dwelling-houses, ranging from one thousand to eight thousand dollars each, besides several large tobacco warehouses, store blocks, etc.


GRAND LIST, 1880.


10 per cent. additional. $15,316


797 dwellings.


517,446


34,72512 acres of land ..


774,384


90 mills, stores, and manufactories.


81,725


881 horses. 39,980


3304 neat cattle.


70,507


Sheep ..


2,048


281 carriages ..


11,630


Time-pieces and jewelry.


8.180


Musical instruments ...


8,590


Household furniture and libraries ..


4,975


Bank, insurance, and manufacturing stock.


167,272


Railroad, city, and other corporation bonds ..


76,320


Amount in merchandising and trade.


53,100


Amount in mechanical and manufacturing opera- tions ...


28,600


Money at interest ....


80,768


Money on hand ....


6,953


Other taxable property ..


25,671


$1,973,471


Deductions.


27,617


Grand list.


$1,945,854


1879.


1,932,217


Gain.


$13,637


Polls, 382; military, 421.


PROBATE JUDGES.


The following is a complete record of the judges of probate for the district of New Milford from its formation to the present time :


459


NEW MILFORD.


Samuel Canfield, from June, 1787, to June, 1790; Daniel Everett, from June, 1790, to May, 1805 ; David S. Boardmaa, from May, 1805, to May, 1821; Jehiel Williams, from July, 1821, to June, 1832; Nathaniel Perry, from June, 1832, te July, 1835 ; Perry Smith, from July, 1835, to July, 1836; George Taylor, from July, 1836, te July, 1838 ; Na- thianiel Perry, from July, 1838, to July, 1842; George Taylor, from July, 1842, to June 26, 1844; Nathaniel Perry, from June, 1844, to June 22, 1846; Thomas B. Lacy, from June, 1846, to June, 1847 ; David C. Sanford, from July 1, 1847, to July, 1849; Julius B. Harri- Ben, from July, 1849, to July, 1851; David C. Sanford, from July, 1851, t> July, 1852; Frederick Chittenden, from July, 1852, to July, 1853; James Hine, from July, 1853, to July, 1854; John S. Turrill, from July 4, 1854, to July, 1855; George Taylor, from July, 1855, to July, 1857; Samuel D. Orton, from July, 1857, to May, 1864; James 11. McMahon, August, 1864, now in office.


REPRESENTATIVES FROM 1725 TO 1882.


1725-26 .- Jeho Bostwick, Capt. Steph. Noble, Samuel Brunson. 1727 .- Capt. Steph. Noble, Jelin Bostwick, Jeho Welsh.


1728-31 .- No record.


1732 .- Stephen Noble, John Bostwick.


1733,-Stephen Nolle, William Gaylord.


1734 .- Stephen Noble, John Bestwick.


1735 .- Stephen Noble, Jolin Bostwick, Theophilus Baldwin, Samuel Cao- field.


1736 .- Theophilus Baldwin, John Bostwick.


1737 .- Capt. Stephen Noble, John Bostwick.


1738 .- Capt. Stephen Noble, Nath. Bostwick, John Bestwick.


1739 .- John Bostwick, Capt. Stephen Noble, Capt. Theophilus Baldwin. 1740 .- Maj. John Bostwick, Paul Welch, Capt. Theophilus Baldwin.


1741 .- Capt. Nathaniel Bostwick, Samuel Canfield, Capt. Theophilus Baldwin.


1742 .- Nathaniel Bostwick, Samuel Canfield.


1743 .- Paul Welch, Samuel Canfield, Capt. Nathaniel Bostwick.


1744 .- Paul Welch, John Warner.


1745 .- Paul Welch, Ebenezer Fisk, David Noble.


1746 .- David Noble, Sammel Canfield.


1747 .- David Noble, Samuel Canfield, Paul Welch.


1748 .- Paul Welch, James Ilind.


1749,-Jolin Warner, Paul Welch. John Hitchcock.


1750 .- John Warner, Bushnell Bostwick, Thomas Noble.


1751 .- John Hitchcock, Samuel Canfield, Reverius Carrington, Bushnel Bostwick.


1752 .- Jolin Hitchcock, Bushnell Bostwick, Nathan Botsford.


1753 .- Daniel Bostwick, Bushnell Bostwick, Gehiel Hawley.


1754 .- John Ilitchrock, Samuel Canfield, Bushnell Bestwick, Daniel Bostwick.


1755 .- Enoe Cump, Roger Sherman, Daniel Bostwick.


1756 .- Gehiel Hawley, Amos Northrop, Cupt. John Warner.


1757 .- Capt. John Hitchcock, Amos Northrop, Benjamin Ruggles, John Comstock.


1758 .- John Hitchcock, Roger Sherman, Gehiel Ilawloy.


1759,-Bushnell Bostwick, Roger Sherman, Partridge Thatcher.


1760 .- Benjamin Gaylord, Roger Shorman, Bushnell Bostwick.


1761 .- Gehiel Hawley, Roger Sherman, Daniel Bostwick, Bushnell Bost- wick.


1762 .- Ames Northrop, Bushnell Bostwick, Nathan Gaylord. 1763 .- Samuel Bostwick, Bushnell Bostwick, Nathan Gaylord.


1764 .- Nathan Gaylord, Bushnell Bostwick.


1765 .- Capt. Samuel Canfield, Bushnell Bostwick, l'artrlige Thatcher. 1766-68,-Cupt. Samuel Canfield, Bushnell Bostwick. 1769 .- Maj. Bushnell Bostwick, Capt. Samuel Canfield, Abel Hline.


1770 .- Maj. Itushnell Bostwick, Capt. Samuel Canfield.


1771 .- Thonmus Noble, Capt. Sherman Boardman, Samuel Comstock.


1772 .- Themas Noble, Capt. Sherman Boardman, Col. Bushnell Bostwick, Cap. Samuel Canfield.


1773 .- Col. Bushnell Bostwlek, Capt. Samuel Canfield, Capt. Sherman Boardman.


1774 .- Thomas Noble, Josiah Starr, Capt. Samuel Canfield, Capt. Sherman Benrdinan.


1775 .- Maj. Sanmel Cunileld, Capt. Sherman Boardman.


1776 .- Maj. Sumuel Cantlehl, Capt. Sherman Boardman, Abel Hine. 1777 .- Samuel Comstock, Oliver Warner, Col. Sumuel Canfield. 1778 .- Reuben Booth, Samuel Comstock, Jonah Todd.


1770,-Capt. Sherman Boardman, Abel Hine.


1780 .- Samuel Comstock, Capit. Noble Hine, Daniel Everett.


1781 .- Col. Samuel Canfield, Abel Hine.


1782 .- Capt. Elizur Warner, Abel Hine.


1783 .- Capt. Elizur Warner, Daniel Everett, Col. Samuel Canfield.


1784 .- Col. Samuel Canfield, Abel Hine.


1785 .- Capt. Timothy Ruggles, Capt. Timothy Bostwick, Col. Samuel Can- field, Capt. Sherman Boardman.


1786 .- David Northrop, Capt. Sherman Boardman, Reuben Booth. 1787 .- Abel Hine, Col. Samuel Canfield, Capt. Sherman Boardman.


1788 .- Capt. Sherman Boardman, Col. Samuel Canfield, Capt. Noble Hine.


1789 .- Capt. Sherman Boardman, Col. Josiah Starr.


1790 .- Daniel Beardman, Col. Josiah Starr, Sherman Boardman. 1791 .- Josiah Starr, Elisha Bostwick, Sherman Boardman.


1792 .- Nicholas S. Masters, Elisha Bostwick, Daniel Boardman.


1793 .- Josiah Starr (2d), Noble Hine, Elisha Bostwick, Angus Nicholson.


1794 .- Nicholas S. Masters, Noble Hine, Josiah Starr.


1795 .- Josiah Starr, Noble Hine, Elisha Bostwick.


1796 .- Josiah Starr, Elisha Bostwick, William Taylor, Philo Ruggles.


1797 .- Josiah Starr, Philo Ruggles, Elisha Bostwick.


1798 .- William Taylor, Sherman Boardman, Abel Hine, Elisha Bostwick. 1799 .- Philo Ruggles, Elislis Bostwick, Aber Gunn.


1800 .- Elisha Bostwick, Abner Gunn, Sherman Beardmau.


1801 .- Elisha Bostwick, Josiah Starr, Philo Ruggles.


1802 .- Philo Ruggles, Josiah Starr.


1803 .- Elijah Boardman, Samuel Comstock, E. Warner, Jr.


1804 .- Elijah Boardman, E. Warner, Jr., Samuel Lock wood.


1805 .- Samuel Lock wood, Elijah Boardman, Homer Boardman, Eli Tedd.


1806 .- Elijah Boardman, Samuel Comstock, Beebe Hine, Abel Merwin.


1807 .- Beebe Hine, Abel Merwin, Andrew Miner.


1808 .- Beebe Hine, Elisha Bostwick, Riverins Camp.


1809 .- Beebe lline, Jared Lane, Ebenezer Smith.


1810 .- Beebe Hine, Jared Lane, William Taylor, Reuben Warner.


1811 .- Beebe lline, Jared Lane.


1812 .- Beebe lline, Jared Lane, David S. Bourdman, Reuben Warner.


1813 .- David S. Boardman, Reuben Warner, William Taylor.


1814 .- Reuben Warner, William Taylor, Duvid S. Boardman, Ithamar Canfield.


1815 .- Elisha Bostwick, David S. Boardman, Gerardus Booth, Jehiel Wil- liams.


1816 .- Elijah Boardman, Ithamar Canfield, Orange Merwin, William Taylor. 1817 .- Orange Merwin, Joel Sanford.


1818 .- Orange Merwin, Homer Itoardman.


1819 .- Orange Merwin, Kli Todd.


1820 .- Orange Merwin, Daniel A. Pickett.


1821 .- Eli Todd, Daniel A. l'ickett.


1822-23 .- Perry Smith, Samuel Canfield.


1824 .- Daniel Gaylord, Abel Ilino.


1825,-Reuben Warner, Jr., Ell Mygatt.


1826 .- Elthu Marsh (2), Ell Mygutt.


1827 .- Elihu Marshı (2d), David S. Boardman.


1828 .- Clark Iline, David S. Boardman.


1829 .- Clark Hline, David S. Boardman.


1830 .- Renjumin B. Soule, Joel Sanford.


1831 .- Jehlel Williams, Walter Booth.


1832 .- Nathaniel l'erry, Walter Booth.


1833 .- George Taylor, Benjamin It. Soulo.


1834 .- George Taylor, Sherman Peck.


1835 .- Perry Smith, Sherman Peck.


1836,-Perry Smith, Lyman Hine.


1837 .- Elizur Warner, Panlol Marsh.


1838 .- Orange Merwin, John Wooster.


1839,-0. Warner, Auson Squires.


1810 .- Jehiel Williams, Albert N. Ballwin.


1841 .- Albert N. Baldwin, Levi Mortia.


18.12 .- Orange Warner, Lawrence Taylor.


1843 .- Frederick Gunn, Abljah Thompson.


18.44 .- No record.


1845 .- Albert MI. Ballwin, William Roberts,


1816 .- Henry Merwin, Horare Judson.


1847 .- Henry Merwin, Henry S. Mygatt.


1848 .- L. B. HamHo, 31. Morehouse (2dl).


18-19 .- 1 .. It. Hamlin, Lyman Smith.


1850 .- George Taylor, Glover Sanford.


1851 .- Jehiel Williams, Albert N. Baldwin.


1852,-John C. Smith, John Peck.


1853 .- Daniel Marsh, J. G. Noble.


1834 .- John G. Noble, G. II. St. John.


460


HISTORY OF LITCHFIELD COUNTY, CONNECTICUT.


1855 .- R. J. Canfield, Sherman Peck.


1856 .- R. J. Canfield, James II. Keeler.


1857 .- Riley Peck, Horace Merwin.


1858 .- Horace Merwin, Jolin S. Turrill. 1859 .- Carr Hine, Jolın S. Turrill. 1860 .- Carr Hine, Isaac Reynolds. 1861 .- Silas Erwin, Isaac Reynolds. 1862 .- Silas Erwin, Josiah Beardsley. 1863 .- Albert N. Baldwin, George Taylor. 1864 .- Earle Buckingham, G. II. St. John. 1865 .- G. H. St. John, A. B. Mygatt. 1866 .- Albert G. Ferris, Harry Buckingham. 1867-69 .- Albert S. Till, Isaac B. Bristol. 1870 .- Monroe L. Frost, W. W. Wells. 1871 .- George Taylor, John S. Turrill. 1872 .- George Taylor, B. W. Buckingham. 1873 .- Edward Hunt, Jr., J. H. McMahon. 1874 .- George Taylor, Albert N. Baldwin. 1875 .- James Il. McMahon, Oliver S. Hartwell. 1876 .- Albert N. Baldwin, Nicholas Staub. 1877 .- Albert N. Baldwin, B. W. Buckingham. 1878-79 .- Charles Taylor, Noah W. Hatch. 1880 .- Henry W. Evans, Edwin S. Wells. 1881 .- Albert S. Hill, Marshall Marsh.


MILITARY RECORD.S


Charles Purdy, 8th Regt. ; enl. Sept. 21, 1861 ; disch. April 4, 1864. A. Roberts, 8th Regt .; enl. Sept. 21, 1861; died March 8, 1862. Il. M. Roberts, 8th Regt .; enl. Sept. 21, 1861 ; died April 6, 1862. Myron Sheltz, 8th Regt .; enl. Sept. 21, 1861 ; must. out Feb. 24, 1863. E. Sparks, 8th Regt .; eol. Sept. 21, 186] ; must. out March 16, 1864. R. J. Worden, 8th Regt .; eul. Sept. 27, 1861 ; killed May 7, 1864. J. Q. Thayer, 8th Regt. ; enl. Sept. 21, 1861 ; disch. Dec. 12, 1865. J. J. Brown, 8th Regt. ; enl. Feb. 29, 1864; must. out July 28, 1865.


J. Burde, 10thi Regt .; en]. Dec. 12, 1864.


J. Headly, 10th Regt .; enl. Nov. 23, 1864; must. out Aug. 25, 1865.


Thomas Lawrence, 10th Regt .; eni. Nov. 17, 1864; must. out Aug. 25, 1865.


A. Lefevere, 10tlı Regt .; en1. Nov. 18, 1864 ; must. out June 24, 1865. 0. Nichols, 10th Regt .; enl. Nov. 19, 1864; must. out Aug. 25, 1865. John Monroe, 11th Regt .; enl. Nov. 23, 1864; must. out Nov. 11, 1865. E. Karge, 11th Regt .; enl. Nov. 25, 1864; must. out Nov. 21, 1865.


Alfred Buckingham, 11th Regt. ; enl. Nov. 27, 1861 ; disch. Oct. 25, 1862. F. K. Hine, 11th Regt. ; enl. Nov. 27, 1861.


Eli Ruby, 13th Regt. ; enl. Dec. 22, 1861 ; disch. March 17, 1862. George M. Ruby, 13th Regt .; enl. Dec. 22, 1861.


Charles E. Tibbetts, second lieutenant, 13th Regt .; pro. to first lieutenant February, 1862; res. May 11, 1864.


C. H. Gaylord, 13th Regt. ; enl. Dec. 12, 1861 ; pro. to second lieutenant ; disch. April 25, 18GG.


J. D. Moshire, 13th Regt. ; eal. Dec. 12, 1861 ; died Aug. 6, 1863.


J. H. Evans, 13th Regt .; eul. Nov. 27, 1861 ; disch. April 25, 1866. E. T. Camp, 13th Regt .; en1. Nov. 27, 1861 ; disch. Feb. 17, 1863. John Ferriss, 13th Regt. ; ent. Dec. 22, 1861; disch. Jan. 6, 1865. John Odell, 13th Regt .; enl. Nov. 27, 1861 ; disch. April 25, 1866. Joseph Taylor, 13th Regt .; enl. Dec. 17, 1861 ; disch. April 25, 1866. Henry S. Turrill, second assistant surgeou, 17th Regt .; com. Jan. 22, 1864; disch. July 14, 1865.


W. E. Benedict, 17th Regt .; enl. August, 1862; died Nov. 7, 1863. M. Hunt, 28th Regt .; enl. Aug. 25, 1862; disch. Aug. 28, 1863.


J. P. Cummings, 28th Regt .; en1. Sept. 1, 1862; disch. Aug. 28, 1863. William Lamson, 28th Regt. ; enl. Aug. 25, 1862; died July 21, 1863.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.