This is Fairfield, 1639-1940, Part 42

Author: MacRury, Elizabeth Banks
Publication date: 1960
Publisher: Fairfield, Conn. : Elizabeth V.H. Banks
Number of Pages: 358


USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Fairfield > This is Fairfield, 1639-1940 > Part 42


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52


In 1884, 19 Oyster deeds were recorded and it was also reported that "Crabbing seems to be the principal sport now a days for our citizens. Large numbers are caught at New Creek and a group of men caught 150 striped bass on Sunday at Fairfield Bridge".


On July 10, 1884 The Fairfield Advertiser listed the Oyster Ground Deeds Recorded:


The State Fish and Shell Commissioners have granted Oyster Grounds in the Town of Fairfield to the following persons:


1883


Recorded June 27, Samuel Currier of Stratford, Oct. 16, 1883, 516 acres.


Recorded July 25, Samuel Currier of Stratford, May 14, 108 acres.


Recorded Nov. 10, Samuel Currier of Stratford, Oct. 1, 8 acres.


Recorded Nov. 10, Hannah Witt of Bridgeport, Oct. 1, 8 acres.


Recorded Dec. 3, Alfred D. Carson of Norwalk, May 7, 100 acres.


Recorded Dec. 24, B. G. & G. B. Beardsley of Strat- ford, Oct. 29, 354 acres.


Recorded Jan. 9, 1884, E. B. Stebbins of New Haven, Dec. 29, 25 acres.


Recorded Feb. 13, Henry J. Lewis of Meriden, Oct. 1, 64 acres.


Recorded Apr. 3, Fred Smith of Stratford, Aug. 27, 51 acres.


Recorded Apr. 3, Fred Smith of Stratford, Aug. 27, 119 acres.


Recorded Apr. 3, Fred Smith of Stratford, Oct. 1, 8 acres.


Recorded May 21, Clinton Beebe of Stratford, Aug. 27, 8 acres.


Recorded May 21, Charles Beebe of Stratford, Aug. 27, 67 acres.


Recorded May 21, Charles Beebe of Stratford, Aug. 27, 8 acres.


Recorded May 21, W. H. Stevens of Stratford, Oct. 1, 183 acres. Recorded June 12, Edgar B. Stebbins of New Ha- ven, May 1, 15 acres.


Transfers


The Oyster Ground Transfers are:


July 19, 1883, Samuel Currier of Stratford to John C. Bond of Stratford. 50 acres recorded, May 19, 1884.


May 19, 1884, Frederick A. Smith to Chester A. Smith & John C. Bond both of Stratford and undivided two thirds of 119 and five tenths acres recorded May 19, 1884.


May 19, 1884, Frederick A. Smith to John C. Bond of Stratford, 8 6/10 acres.


212


July 19, 1883, Samuel Currier to George S. Bond of Fairfield. 50 acres recorded May 28, 1884. Oct. 16, 1882, Samuel Currier to Dr. Jacob May of Stratford. 258 acres recorded June 26, 1884.


The newspapers of the time continued to talk about the Fish and Shellfish of the area.


Dec. 15, 1868-Southport Chronicle-Frost fish are quite plenty now about the docks. The young anglers are busy every morning, and hardly ever fail to secure a "good mess".


Oct. 8, 1885-The Fairfield Advertiscr- Frost fish are now biting good. * *


The steam oyster boat Bond and Currier is tak- ing up seed oysters off this place. * * *


and on Oct. 15, 1885 -- Fairfield Advertiser


Last week the oyster steamer Golden Gate of Bridgeport, put into this harbor for repairs. On Sunday morning as the tide went down she keeled over, but on account of being so deep, she filled with water before the tide was high enough to float her. At high tide Capt. G. Bond and T. Mitchell, went to work and succeeded in righting her, and when the tide was low enough pumped the water out of it. The water did considerable damage to her engine and machinery.


This account from the Nov. 4, 1886 issue of The Fairfield Advertiser.


The starfish are making sad havoc with the Oyster beds off Southport. Morris & Son and Bond and Currier are the principal owners of the ground under cultivation in that section, and both have their steam dredges at work trying to subdue the pests and save the oysters. Bond and Currier are taking up their oysters and replanting them after weeding out the stars. In addition to their own boat, Morris & Son have brought into service the steamer Virginia. It is not an uncommon thing for each steamcr to bring up 75 bushels of the stars as the result of a day's work. Laucroft Bros. of New Ha- ven are going over their beds with a patent dredge, designed to scoop up the starfish without much dis- turbing the oysters. Several inventions of this order have been tricd and failed to work satisfactorily but the one referred to is said to operate well, 150 bushels of stars being an ordinary day's catch for it.


Advertisement Dec. 28, 1870-Southport Chronicle Stevens & Hoyt planters and dealers in Norwalk and Bridgeport OYSTERS 12 Wall St., Bridgeport, Conn.


Oysters opened or in the shell, constantly on hand. Also Fish, Fruits in their season, Clams, Escallops. Frank H. Stevens Lewis H. Hoyt


In Mr. Frank Sherwood's account books I found the following prices:


Jan. 1870


3 barrels oysters ( @ 5.50 16.50


7 barrels oysters @ 4.00 28.00


1 barrel clams 1.00


Sept. 20, 1875


1 peck clams 25¢


The Town records for June 26, 1908 showed this continued concern for the sea creatures.


June 26, 1908-We the undersigned, Selectmen of the Town of Fairfield, do hereby appoint Elmore S. Banks, an elector of said Town, Town Oyster Committee for said town, to hold office for one year from the date hereof, with power to designate suitable places in the navigable waters within the jurisdiction of said town for planting or cultivating oysters, clams, or mussels.


E. B. Morehouse - Selectmen of A. B. Wakeman the Town of Fairfield


S. C. Bradley


The February 10, 1923 issue of the news- paper The Fairfield News showed the standing of the shell fisheries of that time when it stated that the


Town Has 66 Acres of Shell Fisheries


Fairfield has 66 acres of Shell Fisheries. The once extensive grounds that spread practically the whole length of the shore in this section, have dwindled but in Fairfield waters west of Penfield Reef, 2 Oyster Companies still find a fertile field. Talmadge Brothers of New Haven own 60 acres and the Radel Oyster Company of Bridgeport has 6 acres which is assessed by the Town at $350. The total assessment for the oyster grounds is $3,150.


First hand accounts show how important the clams, oysters and other shellfish and fish were to our forebears for food. From Hull Sherwood's diary -


May 27, 1812-clear and pleasant and quite warm. I and Walter Ogden went to Stratford after shad. I got 24 and he 42-we returned before night. I got Eleanor a pair of shoes at Bridgeport. The Godfreys catch 23 shad. *


May 30, 1812-Mr. Straton caught 24 shad at Mill River. * * *


June 12-I dine at sister Eunice's on lobsters. * *


Aug. 13, 1812-Some rain in the morning .. returned home before noon and then went to Mill River for crabs with Walter Ogden but the rain came on again so we caught none.


*


Dec. 15-Nowadays we live on frost fish princi- pally-have had 2 pots set since last November. *


Mar. 24, 1814-Went to Stratford clamming- got 5 pecks-started at half past 3 in the morning -returned at 2 p.m .- rode Walter's horse.


213


Mar. 1816-We live partly on eggs, pancakes and clams.


From Jonathan Bulkley:


Oct. 27, 1811-Sloop Packet arrived this morn- ing from Long Island with about 200 bushels scal- lops. Barrel of Mackeral $5.50. * *


Sept. 1815-


Great quantity of scallops at Long Island this Fall-several boats have been over and got a great many. * * *


May 30, 1818-Saturday Mr. N. B. Alvord caught 34 shad at Mill River, the most that have been caught for 2 years past altogether. *


* *


March 1824-A new bed of oysters has likely been discovered off the west end of Norwalk Islands of a very superior quality. * * *


Feb. 5, 1846-Weather remarkably pleasant . a great quantity of oysters are taken off the Bar and along shore by small and large craft and sold at 371/2 to 50¢ per bushel and very good. * * *


Jan. 9, 1847-Cap't. Meeker went out oystering on Friday last and brought in about 70 bushels be- twcen the Bar and Compo. * *


March 7, 1847-There are at this time opposite our house fifty persons more or less on the clam flats catching clams. * *


March 9, 1847-Sloop Merchant and Byran went out today on Oyster bank and caught about 20 bushels each-new business to take oysters off our Bar.


*


March 23, 1848-Sister went to New York-15 in the Stage . . . Seven oyster vessels came up our harbor, one after the other.


* *


May 22, 1849-Plenty of round clams about these days.


From Frank L. Sherwood:


July 29, 1870-Had a boil of clams. *


* *


Oct. 29, 1870-Went oystering with Abe at Southport and caught 8 bushels.


* * *


Feb. 17, 1871-Went to Southport Clamming. *


* *


Mar. 22, 1871-Went to Fox Hunter's Fourth Annual Oyster Supper and ball held at William C. Smith's. Henry played. Stayed all night. Had a grand time. The room was decorated with 17 fox skins hanging around. (Oyster suppers were very popular.)


June 17, 1871-Went clamming to Pine Creek. * * *


Nov. 21, 1871-Went down to Mckenzie's Point after seaweed and across the Creek at Southport clamming, had our ox team, came up in the evening.


* * *


April 1872-Went clamming down to Great Marsh.


*


* *


* April 1873-Went to Green's Mill1 (Ash Creek) after clams and mussels. * *


June 1873-Went to Fairfield Bar after Horse- feet2 (horseshoe crabs)-caught 100 horsefeet and a good mess of clams. * *


June 1873-Went to Pine Creek for clams. Stayed all night on the beach. Caught 3 pks. of round clams. * * *


July 1873-Father, Capt. Grumman and myself went to Pine Creek after clams-had a boil on the Beach. Walked home by way of Mill Hill.


Aug. 28, 1873-A great clambake at Gregory's Point-The Fat Man's Association.


Oct. 14, 1873-Went to Southport after oysters -caught about 4 bushels.


*


*


Oct. 18, 1873-Went for Oysters-caught about a bushel.


* * Jan. 22, 1875-Went clamming at Sasco.


Sept. 9, 1875-Went to Green's Mill after Clams -caught a good mess-took them over to Pine Creek and had sort of a picnic-all of our folks were there. * *


Nov. 29, 1888-Went to Bill Smith's and we went to Pine Creek clamming. William also went to the beach and brought home a load of seaweed.


Dec. 25, 1888-Went to Pine Creek Clamming.


Thus with the increase of commercial usage of these creatures, the shellfish disappeared from the Fairfield shoreline. Now it is indeed difficult to find six clams on our beaches not to mention oysters of any kind. These too have be- come part of the past.


1 Children went swimming at the dock below the dam of Green's Mills near the outlet of Ash Creek. The mill was a tide mill and the current was swift. Green's Mills was a favorite spot for clams and mussels.


2 Horsefeet of Horseshoe crabs were often kindly spoken of as Greenfield Lobsters. A group of good Greenfield folk are seen enjoying a feast of horsefeet about 1890 in the picture section of this book. For those of you who enjoy seafood and have never tasted this delicious shellfish, you have really missed a treat. They are most delectable. They are anthropoids which date back to prehistoric days.


214


CHAPTER 15


FAIRFIELD'S WILD AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS


This section may seem extraneous to some but because of the many references made to these creatures throughout the available records, it seemed that a section considering the place of the animals-both wild and domestic would in- terest a goodly number of readers. These early people worked hard for everything which was to become theirs. Once it was theirs they cared for it unstintingly. Livestock was of value-real value. Wild animals were a concern-real con- cern.1


One of the excuses that Roger Ludlowe gave to the General Court for choosing Fairfield rather than Pequonnock was that some of their cattle had been lost in New Haven. How they were "lost" is not explained but at any rate one can easily picture these first people arriving with some livestock. Their immediate concern according to the records was that of fences and their placement and care-protection for their few remaining animals. The duties of the fence viewers were clearly defined and reinforced reg- ularly. Every attention possible was afforded their animals. Ground called The Common was set aside for the Town's livestock and nothing was spared to assure their well being.


William Wheeler in his Journal tells us of the living creatures the early people found in 1639.


Land was cheap and produced large crops. Labor was cheap - there were many Indians who would work for small wages. In those golden times there was plenty of games - ducks of which there were twenty species of black ducks and broad- bills, hundreds if not thousands in a flock, which were very tame - wild geese very fat in large numbers but more shy. Pigeons in Autumn so wonderfully plenty that forty dozen have been caught in a net in one morning at one sport. Black Rock beach was the place to take them, where the pigeon houses were situated at short distances apart. Pigeons flew so thick one year that at noon, it is said, the sun could not be seen for two hours - prodigious numbers were seen - being brought forth abundantly 'various kinds of fish - shad in prodigious quantities, but bass were the fish they caught most plentifully, taking in at as heavy as twenty-eight pounds. Clams, oysters and escallops more than could be eaten'. Eels and smelt swarmed in the waters. White-fish were upon the lands. Beside these, lobsters, crabs, mussels and other inferior shell-fish were found in great quantities. The fresh water stream afforded trout, lamper-eels and turtles of considerable size. Occasionally whales made their appearance in the Sound; and the porpoise was a frequent spectacle, measuring his length in the air and then disappearing beneath the waters.


The Townsmen ordered the Fence Viewers to attend to the Common fences and act accord- ingly when "whoever shall leave down the bars in said fence shall be liable to a fine, according to the penalty of leaving open any gate pertain- ing to the fields". Each one of the settlers had a responsibility from the outset. The individual had a responsibility to the entire group and the group to the individual with regard to the animals.


Of the available records, at the very second Town Meeting-February 12, 1661, it was noted that "the Towne orders that all the Common Fields in the Towne shall be hained1 of cattle at the middle of March next" and John Hoit was chosen Pounder for that year (he was also a Fence Viewer). On May 7, of the following year Edward Adams was chosen Pounder and for "turning the key" of the Pound each time he was to have "a penny for every parcel of creatures brought to the Pound". The same year a fine of 15 shillings per head was levied on "cattle or hogs put into those fields that the Towne hath granted to several persons for a certain time and then be laid down to Common ... " and if they transgressed before such fields were ready they had to pay 15 shillings 6 pence per head as a fine.


On March 11, 1663 the minutes show "The Towne orders that the fields shall be hained of all sorts of cattle by tomorrow seven at night and all fences are to be made up about the fields at the same time". This meant that the fields were to be enclosed for pasture and set apart for grass-a replenishing process as it were.


The next month, the sheepmasters were ap- pointed for the summer months and it was voted "to mend the Pound sufficiently for the summer ensuing upon the Towne charges-Henry Lyon has power to call upon any of the inhabitants to work on the premises-they having a day's warn-


1 This meant that the cattle were to refrain from using the Common by that day.


215


ing shall forfeit to the Towne Treasury 2 shil- lings six pence for such default". There was no excuse for being absent!


About that same time, wolves were bothering the domestic animals and it was noted that if a person expected to be paid for killing a wolf, he must take the dead wolf's head to the Town Treasurer. He would then receive the 30 shil- lings to be paid for every grown wolf killed. Bears were also annoying the sheep and cattle, and as an extra inducement to hunt them, it was voted "Whoever kills a bear within ye bounds of ye towne between this and ye next town meeting shall have him paid ye out of ye Towne Treasury 50 shillings a piece for each old bear and for each cub 20 shillings". One shilling bounty was offered on foxes too. They were doing their best to protect their holdings. Soon Thomas Oliver was given permission to build a bridge over Un- coway River at his own expense and the Towne would put up gates or bars to prevent damage by cattle.


In 1669 the towne ordered that "all Common fields in the towne are to be hained of all sorts of cattle. The second day next such as have hay in the fields have liberty to spend it on their cattle while the snow covers the ground without disturbance".


In December 1670 the townsmen were em- powered "to grant distress upon such as do not pay the cowkeepers their several dues for cow- keeping". The cowkeeper looked after the mis- demeanors of the cattle. They strayed, they broke fences, they injured property and these things had to be adjusted. Later that same year "the cattle found in the common field after sunset and before the sun be an hour high in the morn- ing without a sufficient keeper with them, the owners of the cattle shall pay for every such brought to those shall impound them two shil- lings and six pence a head, except the owners of the cattle shall purge themselves by an oath that they nor any of their family did put or leave such cattle in the field to the best of their knowledge".


All dogs that killed or worried sheep were ordered killed. In February 1670 the Town Meeting ordered "Whereas there is complaint that the dogs of some of the inhabitants of the town have worried and killed several sheep and some of the owners of the dogs refuse to kill the dogs; for the prevention of damage, the town orders that if any dogs of any inhabitants of the town have killed or worried sheep, or have been


in company with dogs when such mischief was done, or shall be so in future time, the owner having notice thereof shall kill such dog or dogs; and if he shall refuse or neglect to kill such dog or dogs, what sheep for the future shall be so killed or worried while the said dog or dogs live in town, the owner of such dog or dogs shall pay all such damages as the proprietors of the sheep shall sustain unto them, except the owners of the dog or dogs shall make it what and whose dog or dogs else did the mischief".


In 1671 Sergeant Banks and Sergeant Squire were chosen sheepmasters for the year ensuing. The next year they were chosen again, and out of the sheep Treasury were allowed "16 shillings for keeping the accounts". The sheepmasters were given full power to hire shepherds and "to order the circuit of the several flocks walk in the Common and whatever is necessary for the welfare of the flocks".


In 1672 Richard Osborn and Edward Wilson were chosen pounders for the year and the Town by vote ordered them to be sworn in. The Oath which they took as Pounders is included at this point.


THE POUNDER'S OATH


You A ... B ... being sworn Pounders for the Towne of Fairfield for the year ensuing and until new be chosen and sworn into your work do either of you for yourselves swear by the great and dread- ful name of the everliving God that you will faith- fully perform and execute the office you are chosen to without partiality to any man and to spend so much time in the executing your above said worke as you shall judge necessary for the preservation of the fruits of the Common fields so help you God in our Lord Jesus Christ, Richard Osborn and Edward Wilson have this 4th of May 1672 taken oath of pounders for ye town of Fairfield sworn before me: Nathan Gold, Recorder.


The following year they voted to buy a lock for the Pound and the "cattle found in the Com- mon Fields not under sufficient inclosure dur- ing the time the fields are to be hained from all sorts of cattle shall be poundable if they are about four in number ... ". The pounder by virtue of his position was to seize stray animals which wandered up and down the highways or stole into forbidden meadows of the parish. It was ordered that "when there hath been notice given to make up defective fences, the pounders shall make it their care to impound all the swine that shall be found in the common fields and meadows. They are to begin to pound the swine two days after men have notice of the defective fences". That was ordered in October 1669. Ani-


216


mals were not to stay in the Pound too long for on December 25, 1673 it was voted "The Towne orders that those that have creatures and do not fetch them out-that the owners who do not fetch out the creatures within 12 hours after notice they are not only to have double poundage but all other just charges in the prosecution the said are at about the said impounded creatures". Al- so on October 22, 1673


It is ordered that for the future that what cattle be found in the Common fields not under sufficient inclosure during the time the fields are to be hained from all sorts of cattle shall be poundable if they are above 4 in number, their poundage shall be 4d per head and if there be but four in number or under they shall be 6d per head; And for every working horse or mare shall be found in the com- mon fields during the time they are to be hained either with or without shackels shall be liable to be pounded under the penalty of 2s 6d per head if they be found in the field between sun rising and sun setting and if they be found in the said fields be- tween sun setting and the next sun rising they shall be poundable under the penalty of 5s per head: only there is liberty to tedder working horse or horse and mare or mares in the said fields provided it be upon the proprietors of the creatures own land or in the common with a sufficient tedder.


The Towne prohibits for the future that no cattle shall be kept in the Common fields whether working cattle, but upon the proprietors of the cattles own land under the penalty of two pence per head for such cattle so kept, farmers of any lands in the Common fields have the full privilege of the land concerning baiting on the lands they possess: Un- ruly cattle if they be found in the fields, damage present during the time the fields are hained of cattle, the proprietors of the cattle shall pay double poundage and upon complaint these Townsmen are to decide who are unruly cattle.


There was much spare land available but little of it had been cleared and was suitable for graz- ing so it was most important to care for the open land with determination. Cleared land was truly an early luxury. Pasture land for the animals was of real value and it was often used as a payment for a service such as "Thomas Bennett hath undertaken to beat the drum for the meet- ings for the year ensuing and he is to have for his satisfaction the pasture of the Burying Hill for the year ensuing and five shillings". In 1667 Samuel Morehouse and the rest of the farmers eastward were granted liberty "to erect a stable 20 feet square or 9 feet broad and 40 feet long at such convenient place about the Green as Sergeant Squire and Francis Bradley shall ap- point and lay out". The land was granted for such use as long as the Town saw fit to permit it.


Animals seemed to take precedence over many other concerns of these first extremely difficult days.


A good bit of information is available about the initial product of Fairfield-wool. Sheep were many and the money accumulated from their being was a great concern. The sheep funds must have been a rather sizeable treasury for one finds that not only were the sheepmasters paid from the Sheep Treasury but "a building for publicke convenience" was to be paid for from this and the sheepmasters were ordered "to collect such dues as is due the Sheep Treas- ury from any debtor". They apparently did a good job for not only were they elected again the next year but they were also impowered to hire shepherds for the flocks for the year ensu- ing. Thomas Wilson got 40 shillings as sheep- master and Sergeant Squire 20 shillings for his services as a Sheepmaster. A short time later Thomas Wilson was given 3 pounds for his serv- ices. He was also allowed to "let the sheep for one third in wheat-the other two thirds in pro- vision pay-oats excepted". Staples once again taking the place of money. We find too that money due from all those persons that bought the stray horses that the Towne had interest in was added to the Treasury. The Pounders were to take 4 pence per head for the swine and cattle impounded.


Debts that were due the Towne upon the sheep and horse account were to be collected and the law was impowered to levy said debts. Lieut. John Banks was appointed as the Town's Attor- ney to prosecute the law "to full effect that the debts due to the Towne may be satisfied".


As the various sections of town started to seek their independence from the Old Prime Society the first inkling that one gets from the Town votes of this desired freedom in every case was from their request for a Pound. That desire could be noted even before a Church was sought. "The Towne grants to Maxumux farmers liberty for the summer ensuing to erect a pound to re- strain such creatures as shall be put into it that are damaging. John Andrews is appointed pounder. He is to take one half of the legal poundage. It is noted that it is such cattle that are poundable that are doing damage on the farmers' lands on the west side of Sasco River". The fees were clarified further in 1681. Pound- ers were to take for poundage only the half what the County allows, except it be a single horse or mare which shall be 12 pence apiece and sheep




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.