USA > Connecticut > Fairfield County > Fairfield > This is Fairfield, 1639-1940 > Part 7
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42 | Part 43 | Part 44 | Part 45 | Part 46 | Part 47 | Part 48 | Part 49 | Part 50 | Part 51 | Part 52
John Sturges Junr: in Towne meeting Relinquish- es his right and privilege granted him in Sasco Stream by the Towne to set up a saw mill there and the Towne grants liberty unto Thomas Morehouse senr and Samuel Couch to set up a saw mill on sd River upon the same Condition that was to sd John Sturges only they are to erect it in one year and a half after the date hereof.
The Towne appoints Left: Hull and Jonathan Sturges to go and take a view of a place where Ben- jamin Rumsey shall direct them for to set down the sea fence in Sasco field near Daniel Frost's lot to see yt it may be convenient to the Towne and Make return there of.
1 Col. Rec. Deeds, Patents, etc. State Archives, Vol. II. The name of the governor and secretary were first subscribed to the patents of 1685, but on the 30th of May, 1687, this mode of signing was changed, by adding to the Secretary's subscription, "per order of the Governor & Company of Connecticut;" and by order of the court, all town patents were re-signed .- Col. Rec. Conn., III., Note, p. 177. (1.)
41
Just about this time the East farmers were becoming restless and desired a degree of in- dependence. They were granted liberty to have their own Pound. In 1687, one and a half acres in East Farms was set aside for any inhabitants of Fairfield to bury their dead. Rules were es- tablished for the care of sheep in that section of town too.
Town Meeting - Sept. 8, 1690
We whose names are hereto underneath sub- scribed being appointed by ye townsmen of Fairfield according to ye laws in yt Case provided respecting ordering ye sheep belonging to ye proprietors of ye sheep in sd towne and whereas or neighbors on ye east side of Uncoway river desire to have a flock of sheep kept there which we consent unto on these after mentioned Considerations: 1. that sd neighbors provide a faithful shepherd for yt work and he at- tend ye same-2. that Care be taken yt a person or more be appointed to let sd sheep or flock in such way & manner as may be as near as they can for ye good and safety of sd flock and ye benefit of ye pro- prietors of sd sheep so far as will stand with ye safety of ye sheep there-3. that a fair account be kept yt ye owners of ye sheep may have their just parts of ye Clear produce of ye sd flock dung when all Charge is first paid yt shall be found necessary about sd flock and Rams.
4. that care be taken yt a suitable number of rams be raised & kept from sd flock as the law requireth and 5. that sd flock be kept on sd east side of sd Uncoway river and in case sd neighbors shall see cause so to do on sd Considerations it is well: but if not there is care taken for the keeping of all ye sheep pertaining to sd towne already by us .
The Landowners on the East also requested to be released from paying an allotment to the minister and to the school and asked for land to have their own minister and school. This was voted down. However, they took their desires to the General Assembly. Lieutnant James Bennett of Pequonnock presented a petition signed by 46 persons of East Farms. A committee from Fairfield was sent to defend the town's disap- proval.
Town Meeting - April 27th, 1691
At a general meeting of ye neighborhood there they desired Capt. Mathew Sherwood and James Bennett senr to Inform ye towne of Fairfield yt they intend to send a man or men to represent their Case and present the petition to this next general Court in order to being released from paying to ye town of Fairfield ministry and school this we are ready to give oath to if called as witness our hands ye day and date above sd this is a true Copy of a paper presented to be read in a town meeting and to be forthwith recorded: it was recorded this 11th of May 1691 by me Nathan Gold recorder.
Samuel Gregory Richard Hubbell juner
We the inhabitants of Pequonnock being warned unto a town meeting held at Fairfield and under- standing that one end for which it was warned is to hire a school master in sd towne of Fairfield we ye sd Inhabitants of Pequonnock at a general meeting there have thought meet to declare this our protest against: and dislike of such a thing and yt for many reasons Inducing hearunto and instead of many yt might be mentioned: let these or two satisfy : because ye law it hath enjoined us to a half year only and as to a grammar school totally freed us we more over have already hired a school among ourselves for ye Instruction of our children which is not able to come to any school yt is hired in Fairfield we therefore ye Inhabitants of Pequonnock do desire yt this our protest may be entered and Recorded that this is our protest against hiring a school in ye town of Fairfield we do set to our hands May ye 6, 1691.
Matthew Sherwood junr. Ephraim Wheeler
Izhak Wheeler senr. Samll Hall
Samll Gregory
Samll Tredwell
Joseph Seeley
Mathew Sherwood senr.
Richard Hubell junr. James Bennett senr.
Moses Jackson senr. James Bennett junr.
John Odell junr. Richard Hubell, senr.
Timothy Wheeler Thomas Morehouse senr.
This above is a True Copy of its original pre- sented in a town meeting held in Fairfield the 7th of May 1691 to be read there and also to be record- ed and was recorded this 11th of May 1691 by me Nathan Gold Recorder.
The Petition for the separation of Pequon- nock was denied but the General Assembly in Hartford did give permission for the people of Pequonnock to have their own minister on Octo- ber 3, 1691. Three acres were set aside for Mr. Chauncey, the new minister. They still had to pay the Towne Rate however. Highways were planned and laid out in that area. They were also given a bull. A small church edifice was soon erected on Meeting House Hill. The Gen- eral Court had recommended that the people of Fairfield and Pequonnock meet and discuss their differences.
In 1693-"This Towne this day votes that a sign post shall be set up at East Farms near David Sherman's and ye warning for ye Towne Meetings agreed upon to be set upon ye said post". This was another concession granted to the people of the East Farms.
In setting up a guard for the Town, East Farms was also given special attention.
1. Two persons watch every night in East Farms walking and standing on hill next to Dickerson's House.
2. Four persons watch every night in body of the town-walking & standing on east side of meeting house-Caleb Jennings' Hill.
42
3. Two attend to Maxumux and Compo every night beyond the house of John Sturges Sr. be- tween Samuel Smith's barn and the corner of Robert Rumsey's home lot on the Mill Plain walking and standing in ye main street between Thomas Shervington's corner and the said Sturges.
At length permission was given by the Gen- eral Court to the East Farms or Paquanage (Pe- quonnock) to carry on their own affairs, it to be called Fairfield Village from then on. For many years it was called the East Parish. In 1697 Captain Mathew Sherwood was chosen Commis- sioner for Fairfield Village and a military com- pany was formed there. In 1699 the following laws were granted for the benefit of Fairfield Village:
Impr, To make choice annually of two or three persons, who shall have power to order meetings of the society to order their minister's rate, & what concerns may be needful about their meeting house.
2. To choose collectors of the rates, & that they shall have full power by virtue of a writ from law- ful authority, upon non payment to distrain.
3. To choose a constable, whose power shall reach from the west side of Pequonnock River unto the uttermost bounds of the village westward, accord- ing to the limitations granted to their commis- sion of 11 officers, the village consisting partly of Fairfield & partly of Stratford.
4. That they shall have libertye to choose annually a society recorder, to be sworn to that work.
In 1701 the western boundary of Fairfield Village was fixed and the name changed to Strat- field. It was given this name from being formed from the east parish of Fairfield and of the west parish of Stratford. In 1702 Fairfield and Strat- ford were both ordered to pay a lawful portion out of the annual school tax to the school in Stratfield.
It was during that period that the horrors of witchcraft once again came to Fairfield. Mary Staples, Mary Harvey and Hannah Harvey were presented to the Grand Jury upon the suspicion of using witchcraft but they were acquited by proclamation. Mary Staples was the same Mrs. Staples who had forty years before been tried after being accused of being a witch. A Court of Oyer and Terminer was held when Mercy Disbrow of Compo was on trial. The Court could not agree upon a verdict and they adjourned. On October 28, 1692, the Court reconvened, how- ever Mr. Thomas Knowles, a Juror, had gone to New York and it was necessary to put someone else in his place in order to continue the trial. The case was assigned anew to the jury. Mem-
bers of the jury were from several parts of Fair- field County. The Jury found her guilty again. This time the Court approved the verdict and felt there was no need to change it and the Gov- ernor passed upon it. Samuel Willis, William Pitkin, and Nathaniel Stanley of Hartford, three of the assistants, sent down a. reprieve. At the May 1693 session, the General Court gave their reasons for so doing, the main one being the sub- stitution of a juror. Mercy Disbrow thus escaped with her life.
A more dramatic story reveals that the towns- people decided to try a scheme that had been used in Hartford, namely that of throwing those thought to be witches into a pond or a river with the idea that if they sank under the water they were guilty of the charge brought against them; while if they floated they were innocent. Mercy Disbrow was thrown into either Hyde's Pond or Edward's Pond on the Meeting House Green and having been bound hand and foot, four witnesses proclaimed she swam like a cork even though one tried to press her under the water.
Pirates too were frequenting the coastal areas about this time and the infamous Captain Kidd was thought to be one of the most dangerous and also one who came within the shores of Fairfield. It is said that he often had a rendezvous at Sher- wood Island, or North Bridgeport, or at Black Rock and as a child I remember hearing that Captain Kidd had buried his treasure on Rosie's Road in Greenfield Hill. Rosie's Road being now Cross Highway, the part running between Congress Street and Redding Road. Although the area which was supposedly excavated again and again was largely usurped by the Merritt Parkway when the road was established some 25 years ago, I must confess that there have never been reports of anyone finding a chest of dia- monds and rubies there!
The homes of these people at the close of the 17th century were small and meager in their furnishings. It is interesting to note of what a household's belongings would consist in 1695 and before. Here are lists taken from the Fair- field Probate Records of that time. These were not all taken from the same will but instead four or five inventories were reviewed to see the dif- ferent kinds of things which they possessed.
His wearing apparel Arms and ammunition Book
Curtains & Pillow Plate
43
Shoes A rug Womans apparel Napkins Towels Pillow covers Table linen Five leather chairs Five chairs and a chest
2 boxes
A case with 6 bottles A pair of hand irons A warming pan A long table A looking glass
A tramill and 2 prs. of fire tongs A frying pan
2 old chests, a pot Iron & hooks A table, 2 linen wheels & 4 cushions
2 looking glasses Pewter plates
3 pewter casons Porringers 2 small casons & 9 spoons
A tankard, a salt cellar, a pewter cup
3 candlesticks 3 brass kettles 2 brass skillets
Earthenware Flax
2 dozen tronchers & wooden ware Glorious book (Bible)
2 glass bottles, a brush & 2 baskets, a gimlet, cross cut saw
2 bags with wheat in them A parcel of feathers * *
Old iron and glass Old cask
Part old cask & barrel of molasses
2 hives of bees
1 3-year-old heifer
3 swine
2 acres of land in Ye Old Field
2 acres of meadow
53/4 acres of land in Sasco Neck
1 parcel of land near Jonathan Sturges house
A long lot & Interest in Common
Compo land & Wolf Swamp
Hogs fat & 5 barrels of pork
2 lamps
Silver Gold ring
Land in the woods
Candle and tallow
A churn
A parcel of linen yarn
A parcel of woolen yarn
A parcel of tough yarn
Sugar
Old rag blanket
Coverlets & other bedding
A parcel of malt & hops Bushel of corn
And thus we move to a new century.
44
CHAPTER 4
1701-1724
A CTUALLY there is no need to break this period of years from the last section. Fair- field continued to prosper. Her fair fields had become fairer. The agriculture of the community became more and more flourishing and her har- bor was the scene of a great deal of activity. Fairfield was listed as one of the eight lawful ports of the colony. Politically, the influence of this plantation, which had barely now known 60 years, was single in all of New England. Her sons had not only exercised great influence throughout every decision affecting the people of the entire colony, but they had also responded to every military need in the eastern colonies and in New York. Fairfield now was recognized.
Her influence continued when at the turn of the century Reverend Joseph Webb, then Minister of the Congregational Church, was chosen as one of ten leading citizens of Connecticut to establish a college for the colony. It seemed that Harvard was too great a distance away for the sons of our colony. About this same time, Peter Burr of Fairfield was chosen Speaker of the House of Representatives. Dougal MacKensey was given a grant of land at the extreme end of Sasco Hill. To old timers, this is known as Kensey's Point but to others, it is Sasco Beach.
The Maxumus farmers were given liberty to allow Thomas Nash the use of 11/2 acres pro- vided he serve the community as a smith. The next year they were given liberty to erect a schoolhouse on the Green. The Hill at Maxu- mux-known as Clapboard Hill and occupied as an Indian reservation-was purchased from the Indians for the use of the town. The farmers of Maxumux were given liberty to erect a Pound. As a matter of fact, they erected two-one at Compo and one at Bankside.
Just a short while later, the town meetings show that the Maxumux and Compo farmers asked to have their own minister and on October 8, 1712 a town meeting was held "distinct from ye East and West parishes". Town officers were
chosen to represent the East parish and another set to represent the West parish. Finally the East and West parishes were granted their own minis- ters for the winter months because of the great distances from the center of town. Land (on Clapboard Hill) had been set aside by the town for the first gospel minister who should settle in Maxumux-the bounds of the Greens Farms Parish having been set and accepted. A house was to be built on the land:
Two and forty foot in length, twenty foot wide, two stores high, with a cellar under one end, two chamber chimneys and to cover it with four and a half shingles.
A tax of sixpence on the pound was required of the West farmers (Maxumux) until the house was completely paid for. Reverend Daniel Chap- man was the first minister at West Farms. Mr. Chapman's salary was £70 a year.
Petition presented to the General Assembly in Hartford:
May 1711
Capt. Samuel Couch of Fairfield, on the behalf of himself and the rest of the inhabitants of the Western Farms within the said town of Fairfield, now again moved to this Assembly, (as he did in October last,) for liberty to be granted to them to provide and settle an orthodox minister of the gospel amongst them, and to be freed from paying towards the maintenance of the minister of the said town of Fairfield; and Major Peter Burr, Capt. Joseph Wakeman, and Major John Burr of Fairfield, agents for that town, appeared now before this Assembly and presented the reasons of the inhabitants of the said town of Fairfield against granting such liberty and freedom to the said Western Farms :- Upon consideration of which, this Assembly do now grant liberty to said Western Farmers to call and settle an orthodox minister of the gospel amongst them; and do grant a release and freedom to them from paying rates and taxes for and towards the maintenance of the minister of the said town of Fairfield, for and during such time as they shall have such a minister in exercise amongst them; and that they shall be a distinct parish or society by and of themselves, with- in the said town, and within such bounds as shall hereafter be set and fixed for them, by the commit- tee hereinafter named and appointed.
45
A little later John Blackman was to beat the drum on Clapboard Hill and sweep the Meeting House and have fifty shillings for so doing. The early people were called to Church by beating two thin strips of board together upon some high hill in every parish. This early practice gave rise to the name of Clapboard Hill. Drums took the place of clapboards some years later.
Then we see the West parish further taking its place with Mr. John Osborn confirmed as Captain, Jonathan Sturges Lieutenant and Mr. Samuel Barlow Ensign of the "west end train band" of Fairfield. Mr. Thomas Nash made Lieutenant and Mr. John Andrews Ensign of the "west parish train-band" in Greens Farms.
The possibility of War still hung over the heads of the Colonists in these early years of this new century. The Assembly met in Hartford in March 1704 and ordered that the towns were not to be broken up but instead were to be prop- erly guarded. No male person, from sixteen years and upward, was to leave any of the towns under a penalty of ten pounds. The selectmen in every town in the colony were ordered to pro- vide a sufficient number of knapsacks and hatch- ets, with strong belts for the men. For every sixth man in each train band, snow shoes were also to be provided, and the troops were to be held in readiness for both summer and winter. Civil and military officers were to care for the friendly Indians and these Indians were encour- aged to enlist as volunteers. Ten pounds was offered to anyone who could present an un- friendly Indian. Drums were ordered to be beaten for raising volunteers.
In Fairfield a special tax was levied for lay- ing in a stock of ammunition for "publicke use", and anyone who procured a stock of ammunition for himself alone was fined.
Captain John Wakeman, Lieutenant Joseph Wakeman and Samuel Squire were appointed officers of the train band for the eastern part of Fairfield while Captain John Osborn, Lieutenant John Barlow and Ensign Theophilus Hull were the leaders for the train band of the western sec- tion. The Freeman's list was to be made up by Peter Burr, Sergeant Richard Hubbell, and Lieu- tenant John Barlow.
In order to become a Freeman, the men had to be twenty-one years of age, of peaceable, orderly and good conversation, owning estates to the value of forty shillings, and upon taking the Freeman's oath would be allowed to vote. The value of the person's estate changed with the
years. At one point, 20 pounds was the pre- requisite.
Mr. Peter Burr was also made a member of the Special Council of War which had been chosen because of the possibility of the French and their Indian allies descending upon the frontier towns. A severe penalty was inflicted upon those who sold any form of gun or ammu- nition to the Indians. In May 1709, Connecticut was ordered to send 360 men against the French in Canada :- Acadia and New Foundland. Sixty of these were to be Indians. Thirteen of the men were to be from the trained bands of Fairfield. Lieutenant John Wheeler of Stratfield was ap- pointed to go with the group to Canada as physi- cian and surgeon. Provisions necessary for the men for four months had to be provided. The men were to have:
1 lb. of bread a day (each man) 1/2 lb. of porke (each man) 1/2 pt. of pease (each man)
1 gill a day of rum 1/4 lb. of beef Indians to have 1 pint of corn a day.
They were to proceed by way of the lakes and attack Montreal. Colonel William Whiting was given command of the troops of Connecticut. About 90 Connecticut men were lost and many were sick and ordered home with the best care possible. The failure of this encounter was a great disappointment to all. It was hoped by the colonists that England would join them in their effort to take Canada from the French. A second attempt was made and this too was unsuccessful.
The train bands were required to send in a complete report each year in September to the Major of the regiment. This report had to in- clude the number of its officers and men. Captain John Burr was chosen Major in the Connecticut forces. Mr. Samuel Couch was confirmed as Cap- tain by the General Assembly, Mr. John Osborn Lieutenant and Mr. Benjamin Rumsey Ensign of the Greens Farms trained-band.
In 1722 Fairfield was supplied with one bar- rel of gun powder for the public service.
During that period the Church of England became a reality in Fairfield. Reverend Mr. Muirson of Westchester held services in a private home and several adults and children were bap- tized by Reverend Muirson. Many of the colon- ists had not really ever separated their thoughts from the Church of England and they welcomed the opportunity to worship in this manner once again.
46
This move was met with much opposition by the townspeople and when Mr. Muirson died suddenly, only occasional services were held afterward. In 1718, Dr. James Laborie, a sur- geon in the Connecticut troops, removed himself from Stratford and settled in Fairfield. He gath- ered such persons as favored the Church of Eng- land in his home on the Sabbath and with them used the services of the Church. His work was soon halted by Lieutenant Governor Nathan Gold. However, about four years later, Rever-
end George Pigot arrived from England and as he resided in Stratford, he divided his time and energies between Fairfield and Stratford.
The Church of England's House of Worship was opened for the first time on Thanksgiving Day, November 10, 1726 and was named Trinity Church. This church was a wooden structure, was located in the vicinity of Roger Ludlowe High School on Unquowa Road - probably more northerly and perhaps to the east.
47
CHAPTER 5
1725 - 1773
T "HAT year-1725, in the spring, the people of the northwestern part of the Towne band- ed together and petitioned the General Assembly meeting in Hartford to be set aside as a new parish. The mother Church in Fairfield was not pleased with this endeavor and sent representa- tives to the hearing to oppose the move. The memorial presented to the General Assembly by Thomas Hill and others was as follows:
TO THE HONORABLE GENERAL ASSEM- BLY, sitting at Hartford the second Thursday of May, 1725. The humble prayer of the inhabitants of Fairfield North Village humbly showeth, that there are about fifty families living north of Fair- field, at a considerable distance from the town, some five or six miles, & the nearest of them about two miles & a half or more, whose lists amount to £4,000, which inhabitants labor under great diffi- culties on account of their enjoyment of some of the precious means of grace, especially the proclaiming of the word of life, in the ordinary way & means God uses in the conversion & bringing home poor, lost & undone sinners. Not only ourselves are fre- quently obliged to be absent from divine worship, but our poor children are under a kind of necessity of perishing for lack of vision, both which are very troublesome to those who are inquiring what they shall do to be saved, & that are hungering & thirst- ing after Christ & salvation & righteousness in & through him. The distance of the way, especially in bad weather, utterly incapacitates many persons, old & young, to go to the house of God, which makes us willing rather to expend considerable of our earthly treasure in maintaining the public worship of God among ourselves than to lose our spiritual treasure & undo any of our poor, immortal souls, esteeming each of them better than a one thousand worlds.
Signed by Thomas Hill, John Bartram, David Williams, Benj. Gilbert, Benjamin Franklin, Thos. Turney, Daniel Adams, Elijah Crane, Ebenezer Hull, & sixty-two others.
However, undaunted the fifty-five families tried again later that year and on October 14, 1725, the Secretary of State signed the follow- ing order and the Northwest Parish of Fairfield received full parish privileges :
At a General Assembly holden at Hartford, in his Majesty's Colony of Connecticut, in New Eng-
land, on the 14th day of October in the 12th year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord George, King of Great Britain, 1725, upon ye petition of Thomas Hill of Fairfield in behalf of himself and others of his neighbors living within ye bounds following: westerly by the west parish in said Fairfield; south- southwest by the rear of the building lots in Fair- field; easterly by the Mill River, so called; east- northeasterly by ye parish of Stratfield; north by the north bounds of Fairfield; first brought to this Assembly in May last and continued to this As- sembly, desiring they may be made a parish:
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.