USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > Turner > A history of Turner, Maine, from its settlement to 1886 > Part 11
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19
167
HISTORY OF TURNER.
house for the accommodation of travelers, and it was patronized as a tavern for years, but he never put out a sign. His house was located just north of the cemetery, where Messrs. Bryant and Wilson now live.
About half a mile further north John Keen re- sided, who opened his house for the accommodation of travelers, a few months later. He put out a sign to notify the weary and hungry that they might find rest and refreshment at his inn. This was the first sign hoisted by any citizen of the town to invite in the needy for refreshment and rest. This sign did duty for many years, and is now carefully preserved by Benjamin Keen, of North Turner, as a memento of the olden time. But the hostelry, to which it invited the weary for rest, has fallen into decay, and nothing remains to mark the place where it stood.
Afterward, General Alden Blossom, whose resi- dence was nearly opposite, put out a sign, and for many years furnished entertainment for man and beast as need might require. But the sign and the inn-holder have long since passed away.
In the north part of the town, Isaiah Leavitt hung out a sign bearing the date of 1806, and for a considerable time his house was open for the entertainment of travelers. This sign has been carefully preserved, and is an heirloom, regarded
I68
HISTORY OF TURNER.
with a sort of veneration as a relic of the old tav- ern in which their ancestors received their guests.
At a later date, David Talbot opened a tavern at the south end of Upper Street, where Lucius Cary now lives. It was a large, two-story house, which was long since taken down, and a smaller dwelling erected better suited to the needs of the family occupying it.
After a time, people became tired of traveling over the hills which the early settlers chose for farms, and demanded that a road should be laid out through town over land nearer level, and on a more direct line to Portland, where the farmers found a market for their products. Hence, a road was opened through the village, the Upper Street was no longer a great thoroughfare of travel, and its taverns ceased to be patronized. A hotel was opened at the village by William B. Bray, and later by Isaac Gross. The latter house, or one close by, has been open for the accommodation of travelers most of the time until the present, but there has been frequent change of landlords. The house has now become the "Traveler's Home."
At North Turner Village, a hotel was opened years ago. The house was built of brick, and was sufficiently large for the needs of the place. With- in a few years a large addition has been made, and great changes also in the internal arrangements, so
MRS. HANNAH & IRISH, AGED 83 YEARS.
GEO. N WALKER & CO LITH. ROSTON
· TRAVELERS HOME"at TURNER VILLAGE, ME.@
Mrs. Hannah C. Irish is the daughter of Stephen Foster, the first white male child born in Winthrop. He helped bury the remains of Sagar, who was exe- cuted in the winter of 1833. His body was kept forty days in the attic of his mother's house, near the Forks of the Road, so called. now Manchester. " On the east branch of the river, opposite the southerly end of the Delta Island, the tourist will notice a few old bricks. These mark the spot where once stood the cabin of the great hunter, Stephen Foster. Like Daniel Boone, he preferred the wild woods to meadows and wheat fields. He sickened and died while on a visit to his native town, and was kindly cared for by one who drew her first breath in the same town, and near the same spot. His descendants are among the first families of Leeds." The great-grandfather of Mrs. Irish, Timothy Foster, came from England with three brothers, John, David, and Stephen. She was born January 8, 1804, and married Daniel Irish November 14, 1831. She has lived in Turner twenty-seven years, and accepted the Methodist faith at the age of twelve.
169
HISTORY OF TURNER.
that the building presents a pleasing appearance, and is capable of accommodating a large number of guests. Elias Keen is the landlord.
Since the railroads have been in operation the course of travel has changed, and the farmers do not take their products to market in the manner of former times, so that the hotels in a country town have small patronage, and few are disposed to subject themselves to the inconvenience of being always prepared to entertain travelers, who seldom call.
SCHOOLS.
The first school taught in town was a private school on the Lower Street, about. 1788, Mr. Arthur Bradman being the teacher. Probably nothing was taught but reading, writing, arithmetic, and spelling. No text books were used in arithmetic, but the teacher placed examples on the slates of the scholars, and by performing these, with such explanations as were deemed necessary, they gained a knowledge of the rudiments of arithmetic. This method of teaching was practiced for many years. The same man continued in the business so long that he came to be known as Master Bradman. About 1790, Mr. Joseph Stockbridge, of Freeport, was employed to teach a public school on the Upper Street. This was probably near where Wil-
I70
HISTORY OF TURNER.
liam C. Whitman now lives. After this, two schools were kept in town, and Elisha Sylvester and Benjamin Evens were the teachers for several years. But there was no supervision of these schools, at least the town chose no committee for this purpose. A school committee was chosen at the annual meeting in 1797, but their duties were simply those of agents, probably, since a member of this committee was chosen for each school dis- trict in town, and the committee was enlarged from year to year as the number of districts increased.
Very gradually the schools were improved, the course of study extended, more ample funds were provided for their support, and at length a com- mittee was chosen annually to have the supervision of them. The trustees of the school fund decided to establish a school of a high grade for the ben- efit of those who wished to push their education farther than they could in town schools, and to encourage and foster a general love of learning among all classes of the people. These schools have been kept in the autumn, changing their location from year to year that all parts of the town might be equally benefited by them, and it has been the design to make them equal to an acad- emy. In them the youth pursue advanced courses of study, and even fit themselves for college.
For a number of years, free high schools have
I71
HISTORY OF TURNER.
been sustained in the spring, which have offered nearly the same facilities for an education that the grammar schools have, which are kept in the fall. By these means the standard of education has been raised, the town schools have been improved, the course of study has been extended, and the young people have been favored with better facili- ties for acquiring an education that will fit them for the various duties of life.
Several years ago, the town voted to abolish the district system, and place the schools wholly under the care of the school committee. The school-houses are owned by the town, and the committee employ the teachers and have the care and supervision of the schools, which are all of the same length. This plan gives excellent satisfaction.
PHYSICIANS.
Dr. Daniel Child was the first physician in town. He came from Woodstock, Connecticut, in 1781. He settled on the Lower Street, on the farm now occupied by Henry Turner. He was chosen mod- erator at the first town meeting held after the town was incorporated, and was elected to this office at several annual meetings thereafter. He was also chosen by the town one of the committee to invite Rev. John Strickland to be the first settled minis- ter in the township. He is remembered as a
I72
HISTORY OF TURNER.
skilful physician, and was especially noted for his success in the treatment of bilious colic. £
He rarely failed of saving the patient, even though given over by other doctors, whom he did not per- mit to be present when he made his prescription.
At that time, physicians uniformly rode on horseback to visit their patients, their medicines being carried in saddlebags. Dr. Child was a lover of strong drink, and sometimes, unfortunately, was unable to mount his horse. But the animal was so well trained, and was so obedient to his master, that at his command, he would lie down for the doctor to crawl upon his back, when he would rise and proceed gently on his way. If the doctor leaned hard to one side, the horse would move that way, so as to favor the unsteady rider; and if the doctor fell off, he would stand over him and per- mit no one to touch him. But on one occasion the faithful horse departed from his usual custom. One cold day in the midst of a driving snow-storm, the doctor, perhaps chilled with the cold, fell to the ground. The horse did not stay to watch over him, but hastened home and on reaching the door whinnied vigorously. Some one answered to the call, who, taking in the situation at a glance, leaped upon the horse's back, who immediately turned and retraced his steps, halting when he reached the place where the doctor lay, covered with snow. He
I73
HISTORY OF TURNER.
was placed upon the horse and carried safely home. A good understanding and a strong attachment must have existed between the doctor and his horse. The former died in 1802, leaving many descend- ants, some of whom continue to this day.
Dr. Luther Cary came from Bridgewater, Massa- chusetts, in 1798, and settled near the south end of Lower Street. He possessed intelligence, a good education for the times, and was a man of high character. He was a successful practitioner, and soon acquired a good reputation which he sustained until the infirmities of age compelled him to retire gradually from the active duties of his profession. He raised up a large family of sons and daughters, but all removed from the town except one son, Hugh, who lived and died on the home farm. He was several times elected president of the Medical Society of Maine, and, in 1805, was appointed judge of the Court of Common Pleas for the county of Oxford, which then had been recently organized. He spent a busy life very usefully, and died in old age, retaining the esteem and the confi- dence of the community. His death occurred in 1848.
Dr. Timothy Howe was born in Hillsborough, New Hampshire, in 1778, and moved into Turner about 1804, his family then consisting of a wife and two children. He was the first postmaster at
I74
HISTORY OF TURNER.
North Turner. After residing in town several years, he removed to Brettun's Mills, Livermore, where his son, Hon. Timothy O. Howe, was born. He returned to Turner, and resided at a place called Richmond's Corner until his death, which occurred in August, 1848, at the age of seventy. He was older in appearance than many men of that age, as he made no effort to keep himself young. He was interested in learning, and in the general improve- ment of society. He wrote a history of Turner which he left in manuscript. He gathered up much valuable information respecting the early settlers of the town that otherwise must have been lost, and the author of this volume is indebted to him for many interesting facts which could not have been gathered from any other source.
Dr. Philip Bradford was born at Turner Center, formerly known as Bradford's Village, July 15, 1789. After gaining what education he could in the town schools, he studied at Hebron Academy for a considerable time. Having chosen the medi- cal profession as the one to which he would devote the years of his life, he attended lectures in the medical school connected with Dartmouth College, and in due time received a diploma, showing that he had accomplished the prescribed course of study in a satisfactory manner. He chose to locate in his native town, and in the place of his birth. He
175
HISTORY OF TURNER.
was a successful practitioner, and did a large busi- ness in the wide field which was open to him. He practiced in Greene and Leeds, and other towns, as well as in Turner. He enjoyed the confidence of the public both as a man and physician, and was actively engaged in his profession until about a week previous to his death. He died of pneu- monia, after a short sickness, June 24, 1863, aged nearly seventy-four.
Dr. Henry D. Irish was born in Buckfield in 1821. He made the best use of the slender advan- tages possessed in early life, studied medicine, and located at Turner Village December, 1847. He devoted himself to the business of his profession with great industry, and in due time pushed his way to the front. He was energetic, persevering, and persistent in a remarkable degree. Whatever he undertook he engaged in with a will, and he grew in usefulness and in the public estimation to the last. He gained a large country practice, and was the leading physician in town at the time of his death, which occurred January 16, 1871, at the age of fifty. He died of typhoid fever. Though passing away in the midst of life, he left a com- petency for his family.
Dr. William H. Jewett was born at Kent's Hill, Readfield, about 1825. Living near to the Wes- leyan Seminary located on the hill, he enjoyed
176
HISTORY OF TURNER.
good facilities for gaining a thorough education. After receiving a diploma which entitled him to the degree of M.D., he located in Turner Village, and was a resident physician through life, except a term of service as surgeon in the War of the Rebellion. He was interested in education, and for a series of years was one of the town school committee, and discharged the duties of his office in a very acceptable manner. He was a faithful physician, and he sustained an irreproachable char- acter. The last of his life he suffered much from internal cancer, which caused his death August 26, 1879, at the age of fifty-three years and eight months. His wife did not survive him long, and a daughter alone is left of the family.
Dr. Elbridge G. Edgecomb came from Liver- more, in which town he was born in 1814. Three brothers in his family became physicians, the oldest being now settled near the place of his birth. El- bridge G. graduated at the medical school connected with Bowdoin College, at Brunswick, and practiced medicine in different places, but settled at Turner Center in 1865 or 1866, where he has remained until the present time, except that for a few years, after the death of Dr. Irish, he was located at Turner Village. He has sustained a good reputa- tion, has been successful in his profession, and now, at the age of seventy-two, is active, and seems yet to have the promise of many years of usefulness.
177
HISTORY OF TURNER.
Dr. Richmond Bradford, when a young man, opened an office at his father's, near the south line of the town, but he soon removed to Auburn, where he became a well-known physician, and con- tinued in his profession until the infirmities of age compelled him to relinquish its duties.
Dr. Roscoe Smith opened an office in Turner Village, April 25, 1871. He is a self-made man, possessing abundant energy, and a determined pur- pose to succeed in his profession. He has secured a large country practice, and devotes himself with unwearied diligence to the duties of his calling. He is especially interested in temperance, and gives it the weight of his influence on all occasions. He is yet in the prime of life, and many years of use- fulness are apparently before him.
Dr. H. L. Irish commenced practice in Turner Village, March 6, 1875. He is the son of Dr. H. D. Irish, who died in 1871. It was his wish, I think, that his son should be his successor, and be prepared to take upon himself the duties of his profession, as he himself should be compelled to cease from them. In accordance with this wish and desire of the father, the son studied medicine, and after graduating from a medical school in New York City, reopened the office which had been closed by the death of the senior Dr. Irish, and continues to practice in the very field of effort in
13
178
HISTORY OF TURNER.
which his father toiled. He has also served much of the time as a member of the school committee, and to the satisfaction of the people of the town.
Dr. John T. Cushing was born in Turner, Sep- tember 30, 1831. He removed to Ohio, where he lived for about twenty years, except that he served for a time as assistant surgeon in the army during the War of the Rebellion. He was settled in Huron, where he practiced medicine and enjoyed the position which he occupied as a physician in the city. On the death of Sulivan Hale, Esq., Mrs. Cushing's father, he was persuaded by Senator Hale to remove to Turner, and take care of his aged mother, who was unwilling to leave the home in which she had lived so long. There being no other member of the family who could conveniently perform this filial duty, Dr. Cushing returned to Turner in April, 1881. He is so situated that he does not choose to practice medicine, but makes himself useful as one of the school committee, and in other ways as a citizen of his native town.
LAWYERS.
It is said that Ezekiel Whitman, who became a distinguished jurist, came into Turner on the 7th of May, 1799, in the midst of a blinding snow- storm, and opened a law office, but he remained only a short time.
179
HISTORY OF TURNER.
William K. Porter came from Bath in 1818, and established himself at the village. He was well read in his profession, was a safe counselor, and acquired a lucrative practice for a country lawyer, and continued in the business of his profession until 1834, when he died, greatly lamented. He was honorable, dignified in bearing, faithful in the discharge of every duty, and worthy of confidence. He was the first postmaster at the village, and retained the office until his death. He is the only lawyer that settled permanently in town.
Not long after his decease, Charles Andrews opened a law office in town, and was popular in his profession for a few years. He represented the town in the Legislature, and had great influ- ence over the masses, but there was not sufficient business in his profession to make it desirable to remain, and he sought a location elsewhere.
Timothy Ludden practiced law for a few years, but soon removed to Lewiston. He was at one time Judge of Probate for Oxford County, and was reporter of decisions from January 29, 1857 to 1859, for volumes forty-three and forty-four.
Mandeville T. Ludden, a relative of Timothy, began the practice of law in town, but after a few years he also removed to Lewiston, where he be- came a noted advocate at the Androscoggin bar, and achieved success in his profession. He was
180
HISTORY OF TURNER.
actively engaged in the duties of his calling until a short time previous to his death.
Barzilla Streeter practiced law in North Turner for a few years, but he died long ago, and no one has chosen since his death to open a law office in the place.
For years there has been no lawyer in town, and no inducement for one to settle therein. The peo- ple are not fond of litigation, and the justice can perform most of the duties required of the profes- sional lawyer, who therefore becomes a gentleman of leisure, and seeks a more desirable location.
THE FIRST ORGAN.
William Bradford, the second male child born in town, was a great lover of music. He played the bass viol, but was not prominent as a singer. He enjoyed very highly the tones of the pipe organ, and resolved to procure one for use in his home. He had one made in Portland about the year 1830, a sweet toned instrument, which in due time filled his house with music and his soul with rapture. He took a daughter to Portland to learn to play it. He would be moved to tears as he was trans- ported by the music of that organ. Most of the people in the town and vicinity had never seen or heard such an instrument, and numbers went to hear and enjoy. Even parties were got up to
18I
HISTORY OF TURNER.
visit his house excursion-like from various parts of Turner, and from Buckfield, and all felt well paid for their trouble in seeing and hearing the organ. It was a new thing to nearly all, and the style and character of the music was unlike any music to which they had previously listened. The organ remained in the home a number of years, and was a source of great enjoyment to the music-loving por- tion of the family. But a change was at length effected in that home; the daughter that played it presided over a home of her own, to which the organ was transferred, but for many years it has done duty in the Universalist Church at Turner Center.
TURNER GRANGE, NO. 23, PATRONS OF HUSBANDRY, Was organized May 23, 1874. This grange has increased in numbers and influence from the first, and has become one of the most prosperous in the State. It owns a building at Turner Center, which contains dining-room, kitchen, cloak-room, entry, and store, on the lower floor, and on the second floor, a hall with ante-rooms. Meetings are held on the first and third Saturdays of each month. In the fall and winter, these meetings continue through the day. A paper is read in the forenoon by a member appointed for the purpose, on some subject relating to husbandry, and is followed by discus-
182
HISTORY OF TURNER.
sions. The exercises are interspersed with singing, the grange being favored with musical talent. At noon, a picnic dinner is served, and is made an occasion of much social enjoyment. In the after- noon, a lady member reads a paper on some subject deemed appropriate, perhaps it will be a poem, or essay on a moral or social theme, and this is fol- lowed by discussions. The singing of grange and other songs and hymns is interspersed as in the morning, and thus the day is pleasantly and prof- itably spent. These meetings are usually well attended, and a good degree of interest is mani- fested. The social advantages of these meetings are considerable, the interest in farm life is in- creased, and a more thorough knowledge of hus- bandry is gained. In the summer season, the meetings are held in the evening only, but are conducted in much the same manner as the all-day meetings of winter. All the meetings are well attended, the people being drawn to them by their social attractions, and their discussions of farm and other topics.
MASONIC ORGANIZATIONS.
March 3, 1860, a dispensation was granted by M. W. G. M. Hiram Chase, of the Grand Lodge of Maine, to George W. Turner, Hira Bradford, H. N. Mayo, Philo Clark, Seth D. Andrews, Deering
183
HISTORY OF TURNER.
Farrar, F. M. Mayo, M. T. Ludden, William Bray, Henry Turner, Charles E. Bradford, Gilbert Phil- lips, and Rufus Prince, to open and hold a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, under the name of Nezinscot Lodge, at Turner, Maine.
OFFICERS OF THE LODGE UNDER THE DISPENSATION.
George W. Turner, Master. Chas. E. Bradford, Sen. Deacon. Seth D. Andrews, Sen. Warden. Henry Turner, Junior Deacon. H. N. Mayo, Junior Warden. Gilbert Phillips, Senior Steward. Deering Farrar, Treasurer. F. M. Mayo, Junior Steward. Philo Clark, Marshal.
Rufus Prince, Secretary.
M. T. Ludden, Tyler.
May 3, 1860, a charter was granted, and on the 23d day of June following, the Lodge was duly consecrated, and the following officers installed: George W. Turner, M .; S. D. Andrews, S. W .; H. N. Mayo, J. W .; Deering Farrar, T .; Rufus Prince, Sec .; M. T. Ludden, S. D .; Henry Turner, J. D .; Gilbert Phillips, S. S .; F. M. Mayo, J. S .; Jehiel Eldridge, Tyler.
The stated communication of the Lodge is held on Saturday on or next preceding each full moon, at seven o'clock P.M., unless otherwise ordered by the Master.
This Lodge has continued to prosper; it owns a three-story building in the village in which it has rooms fitted up for its own use, and rents the first
184
HISTORY OF TURNER.
and second floors. Several of its members are members also of the Mutual Life Insurance Com- pany, which has been organized for the benefit of the Masonic Fraternity.
TURNER CHAPTER OF ROYAL ARCH MASONS, NO. 41, Was granted a dispensation January 6, 1876, and on May 3, 1876, it was granted a charter, and was constituted June 30, following.
OFFICERS INSTALLED IN 1876.
M. E. Carlos E. Kempton, High Priest.
E. Harrison M. Pratt, King.
E. Philo Clark, Scribe.
Comp. Henry C. Munson, Chaplain.
66 Horace C. Haskell, Captain of the Host.
66 Charles H. Thayer, Principal Sojourner.
Franklin K. Jack, Royal Arch Captain.
Sumner S. Merrill, Master 3d Vail.
William L. Loring, Master 2d Vail.
John E. Ashe, Master Ist Vail. Seth D. Andrews, Treasurer.
Francis T. Faulkner, Secretary.
Asa Bradford, Senior Steward.
Frederick M. Loring, Junior Steward.
66 Henry W. Humphrey, Sentinel.
The meetings of the Chapter are on the Satur- day next succeeding each full moon, at such hour and place as the Chapter or the High Priest may direct.
185
HISTORY OF TURNER.
ODD FELLOWS.
A Lodge of Odd Fellows, with twenty-one char- ter members, was instituted March 30, 1885. The officers then installed were Dr. H. L. Irish, N. G .; D. Y. Harlow, V. N. G .; Caleb Blake, Treasurer; W. B. Beals, Rec. Secretary; and I. F. Quinby, Per. Secretary. They meet Monday evening of each week, at the village, and have now increased to fifty-four members. They have met all their pecun- iary obligations, and have funds in the treasury. They lease a room, or rooms, for their meetings.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.