USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > Turner > A history of Turner, Maine, from its settlement to 1886 > Part 6
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19
·
80
HISTORY OF TURNER.
Faulkner manufactured flannels, but the fire of 1856 put a period to his operations. The mill remained idle several years, but at length it was enlarged, and put in operation, and its machinery has been running most of the time until the pres- ent. F. T. Faulkner, son of the former owner by this name, is the present proprietor, and under his supervision the factory is doing a good business.
Mr. Faulkner started up the mill the last time in the spring of 1879. He runs four sets of forty- four-inch cards, and twenty-four broad looms. He gives employment to over forty hands, and manu- factures from twelve to fifteen thousand yards of twilled flannels per week, which are colored either blue or scarlet. He consumes, in the manufacture of these goods, from two hundred thousand to three hundred thousand pounds of wool in the raw state, annually. The machinery is driven by a five feet Improved Tyler Wheel, and the mill is heated by steam generated by a tubular boiler. Many cords of wood are consumed annually in heating the mill and coloring the goods.
William B. Bray, Sen., probably opened the first store in the village. He continued in business several years. He died in middle life from injuries received in the saw-mill. Oliver Pollard was a resi- dent of the village in 1810, and owned the mills, but was not engaged in trade. He remained here
8 I
HISTORY OF TURNER.
until about 1817, when he made an exchange of property with Colonel Cyrus Clark, of Minot, now Auburn, who thus became the owner of the mills. He soon built a store, and was in successful busi- ness until the time of his death, in the winter of 1835-6. His son, General Philo Clark, built a store close by his residence in 1831, and continued in business till about 1849, when he leased his store to Jesse and Hira Bradford, who were in company eight years, since which time Hira Bradford has continued in trade by himself alone at the old stand. William Harris opened a store at about 1825, and continued in the business ten or twelve years. In those early times traders dealt quite largely in West India goods, which meant sugar, molasses, and rum. There were no railroads in those days, and freight was moved mostly by ox- teams. It was no unusual thing then to see an ox-team coming into the village with a hogshead of molasses, two hogsheads of rum, with smaller pack- ages of choicer liquors, to supply the wants of the people. And in the time of haying and harvesting it required a hogshead of rum a week to keep the laborers in good condition for work. Indeed, liquors were in constant demand for all occasions, for the raising and moving of buildings, for sol- diers on parade or other duty, for the ordination or installation of ministers, and for social occasions in
7
82
HISTORY OF TURNER.
the homes of the people. A great change has been effected in public sentiment, and in the cus- toms of society in regard to the use of intoxicating drinks, and the impression that some seem to have that society is becoming corrupt, is here shown to be erroneous. It would now be a strange sight to see a good deacon standing beside the rum casks, dealing out liquors to the men who are engaged in raising the frame of a church in which he has a special interest. But once this was thought a proper thing to do.
In March, 1823, William B. Bray Jr., opened a store, and continued in business a number of years. Possessing energy and business capacity, or in- sight, he uniformly succeeded in whatever he undertook. His brother Jefferson became the owner of the store, and managed the business for a few years. Hiram Clark was interested for a series of years in the store which his father, Colo- nel Cyrus Clark, had occupied. It is neither easy nor necessary to enumerate all the names of the men and the firms which have succeeded each other in trade here. Jesse Bradford spent most of the active period of his life in business in the village, and his son, William, is his successor. William B. Bray, after engaging in business in other places, returned to the village, and had a store while engaged in the manufacture of churns. He was afterward in company with John Blake.
.
Birthplace of Hon. Eugene Hale. Turner, Maine.
83
HISTORY OF TURNER.
William L. Bonney began trade here many years ago, on the north side of the river, and in company with another, or by himself, has remained in the same store to the present time.
Lucius Dresser began the business of a tanner about 1840, and for a portion of the time has done a large amount of work. In 1886 he sold his tannery to Charles Willard, who converted it into a factory for the manufacture of boxes.
John Blake and son went into the stove and tin -. ware business about 1850, and in April, 1867,. William H. French engaged in it, and continues to make it a success.
About 1817, Aaron Rogers and Caleb Bourne opened blacksmith shops, and industriously ham- mered out their fortunes on the anvil unto the last. Numerous have been their successors, each in his time doing the work his hand found to do, and there are those who are doing it still.
TURNER CENTER.
Jesse Bradford, General John Turner, and Henry Jones built a saw-mill and grist-mill at Turner Center, formerly known as Bradford Vil- lage, in 1795. The privilege was bought of Joseph Copeland, or a lease of it was secured for nine hundred and ninety-nine years. A condition of the lease was that if at any time no mills were main- tained on the privilege for four years in succession,
84
HISTORY OF TURNER.
the lease should be null and void. The lot on which the privilege was situated was sold to David Hood, subject to the lease above mentioned, but he came under bonds of two hundred dollars not to interfere with the mill lot. The grist-mill was burnt not long after its erection, but was rebuilt by Jesse Bradford and General Turner, and was in success- ful operation many years. A shingle machine and clapboard machine were set up at the time the Masonic building was raised at the village, about 1834, in May. It was very cold for the time of year, the ground freezing so that farmers could not plow. A northwest wind blew the spray from the dam upon the north end of the grist-mill, and by this means it was soon covered with a coat of ice.
A fulling-mill was built at an early day, and Hira Bradford colored, pressed, and dressed cloth in it about seventy years. Hartson Bradford, then a mere lad, turned the shears to shear the cloth. William Harris bought a half interest in the fulling-mill, and Jefferson Bray worked in it three or four years, dressing cloth. Anson Gott then bought the mill, and used it for the manufacture of wooden bowls. Joseph Ludden purchased the grist-mill after Jesse Bradford's death, about 1830, and kept it in operation so long as it stood. He and Hart- son Bradford became owners of the saw-mill. Hosea Cushman had for a time a blacksmith shop
Eugene Hale
85
HISTORY OF TURNER.
in which a trip hammer was operated by water- power. All these mills were in operation until carried away by a great freshet about 1845. This freshet washed away the rights of the mill-owners, Anson Gott and Hartson Bradford, and then there was a contest as to the ownership of the privilege between the heirs of Joseph Copeland and David Hood. The Hoods added several acres to the privilege on the west side of the river, and sold their interest in it to Lyman Eustis and Eland Fuller, who continue to be the owners. The privi- lege, though the best in the town, has remained unoccupied to the present time. There was, indeed, soon after the freshet which proved so destructive, an offer made to the owners under the lease by parties who wished to improve the water power, but Mr. Gott was unwilling to sell his interest for the sum offered, and the waters have flowed without restraint down the rapids to the present hour.
At an early period Leonard Richmond built a store, a house, and a shop for the manufacture of reeds used in weaving cloth in hand looms. The house was the old one recently torn down, standing opposite the residence of Aubrey Leavitt. Thomas Additon, Joel Fairbanks, and William Mitchell, worked at reed-making a number of years. The reeds were widely sought for when the people manufactured their own clothing in their own
86
HISTORY OF TURNER.
homes. But the manufacture of reeds ceased when the carding machine and fulling-mill became silent.
Samuel Wood, of Winthrop, did business in the store four or five years, when Hartson Bradford and Cushing Mitchell bought it, but after two years H. Bradford became sole owner, and con- tinued the business two years more, when he built the store which now constitutes a part of Grange Hall. He remained in this building about seven years. During the latter part of this time his brother Jesse was associated with him in business, and continued in it after the senior member of the firm retired. Joel Paine, whose wife was a sister of Henry Humphrey, was in trade for a time in the store. At length it was sold to Allen Bonney, who did a small business for a few years; but he went to the far West and never returned. Hira Bradford opened a variety store in the place, and continued in business several years.
George Turner opened a grocery store in a small building near his house, that in which James B. Walker now resides. He afterward bought the store constituting a part of Grange Hall, and con- tinued in business until the infirmities of age made it necessary to retire. Mr. Wing succeeded him, but did not remain very long. Though so many were engaged in the business, there were many
*
4
87
HISTORY OF TURNER.
years in which there was no store, not even a grocery, in the place. After the grange was insti- tuted it was thought desirable to have a store for the accommodation of its members, and a grocery was opened by Aubrey Leavitt, but in a short time the grange ceased to have any interest in it. In a few years this was closed by the will of the pro- prietor. Not long after this, Lewis P. Bradford opened a first-class country grocery in the Grange Hall building, and still prosecutes the business with success.
As the farmer's family, for many years after the first settlement of the town, manufactured the cloth for the use of the members, spinning-wheels must be had. To supply the demand for these, Hanibal Thompson opened a shop for the making of these wheels, and for many years he prosecuted the busi- ness at Turner Center. Wheels for spinning flax were entirely different from those for spinning wool; the former were called "little wheels," and the latter, "great wheels." It was necessary that each family should have one of each kind, and if much spinning was to be done, two or three, especially of the "great wheels." Mr. Thompson was a good mechanic, and his spinning-wheels were widely known and sought for. He prosecuted his business for many years, and being remarkable for ready wit, his shop was an agreeable place in which
88
HISTORY OF TURNER.
to spend a leisure hour. He lived to a good old age, but in the last years there were few calls for his work, as in the change of customs, spinning- wheels, carding machines, and fulling-mills, all went down together, and became things of the past.
At an early period Reuben Thorp established a pottery for the manufacture of brown earthen-ware, the first and only one ever operated in the town, and the house in which he lived has remained a memento of his life and time, until recently.
NORTH TURNER.
The first settler inside of one mile from the center of the village, was Caleb House Jr., who made himself a home on what is called House's Hill, in or about the year 1792. He was a farmer, and the father of ten children, all born upon the same farm, except the two oldest, and nine of whom grew up to manhood and womanhood. The first settler at the village was Caleb Gilbert, who built a saw-mill, if not a grist-mill. He built and lived in a little log house on the right bank, or southwest- erly side, of Martin Stream, according to the testi- mony of "one of the oldest inhabitants." He must have made this beginning as early as 1800, or even earlier, for in 1803 said Gilbert deeded to John Keen, then a resident of Sumner, all his interest in the west half of lot number two hundred and thirty-
89
HISTORY OF TURNER.
eight, and the west half of number two hundred and thirty-nine, "except so much thereof as has been taken or may be taken for roads." The above described premises cover the present mill-site, the consideration being sixteen hundred dollars. A copy of this deed is now in the possession of Ben- jamin Keen, Esq. John Keen moved on to his possessions in January, 1804, since which time the mill property has, for the most part, been in his hands, or the hands of his posterity.
About the year 1806, the first dam, built by Mr. Gilbert, was carried away by a great freshet, but it was speedily rebuilt. Near the year 1814, or 1815, the saw-mill was burnt, evidently the work of an incendiary, as scraps of birch bark were found in board-piles, partially burnt. In 1818 the grist-mill was also burned, the origin of the fire being a mys- tery. The mills were rebuilt by John Keen Jr., now gathered to his fathers. The first wooden- bowl factory in the State was set up by one James Hale, of New York State, who prosecuted the business about a year, then sold his interest to Josiah Keen, on the 17th of November, 1820, and returned to his home.
The next enterprise was a carding and clothing mill, built by John A. Kimball, and a shop for the manufacture of carriages by Essec Fuller. About 1855, William B. Bray, the first merchant of note
90
HISTORY OF TURNER.
in the place, built the store and dwelling attached, now occupied by Lewis A. Farrar, and commenced quite a business in the boot and shoe line.
In the year 1817, Edward Blake, Stephen, and John Gammon built a saw-mill at or near the foot of Bear Pond, and near the village. Here they erected the first machine in the county for saw- ing clapboards, and operated it successfully several years, turning out no knotty spruce, but the clearest, choicest pumpkin pine clapboards.
Barzillai Streeter, Esq., one of the famous family of preachers, once practiced law here. Dr. John Drake was for several years an active and success- ful physician, and at a later period, Dr. Young, all self-made men. The earliest residents were Caleb House and wife, Caleb Jr. and wife; then James Torrey and wife, who raised up a large family, nearly all of whom passed away before he did. Joseph Merrill, the first blacksmith in the place, long ago finished his work, and none of his chil- dren remain. Dr. Timothy Howe and family, save one; Jabez T. Merrill and family, and others, have gone from us. Reuben Libby, who could split, shave, and bunch more pine shingles in a day than any other man in town, has laid down the tools of his craft. Cornelius T. Richardson, the first black- smith in the village proper, and who made the first spring-steel pitchforks in these parts, is among
Nº. TURNER HOUSE
Elias Keene
GEU. M NALKER & CO. WITH BOSTON
· Chair Factory of KEEN & BROWN and North Turner House .
91
HISTORY OF TURNER.
those who live in memory. John Keen, Sen., the early mill-owner, with all his numerous family, have ceased from the activities of earth. He dwelt in a house, not a very elegant structure, standing on the site of L. A. Farrar's store. His wife was a famous spinner of linen thread, weaver of cloth, and the like. Ephraim Turner, Sen., by trade a carpenter, passed the latter half of his life in this vicinity. Other names might be mentioned. The first set- tlers were obliged to journey to New Gloucester for their groceries, nor did they think it a hardship, not even to saddle their horses and ride to Boston on business.
Several industries are now prosecuted in the village, as in past time, in addition to which Benja- min Keen and Company have erected a building for the manufacture of fancy and other chairs of cane.
The above information was kindly furnished by Benjamin Keen, Esq.
KEEN'S MILLS.
The village which bears this name is in the easterly part of the town, near the mouth of the Twenty Mile River. Nathaniel Robertson was the first settler on the south side of the river, and built a saw-mill in about 1798. Benjamin Allen settled on the north side of the river, and built a grist-mill
92
HISTORY OF TURNER.
about 1800. These were the first mills in the place. Hanover Keen came into the place in 1805, and became owner of the grist-mill, which was carried away by a freshet in 1814, but was rebuilt, and has been in use until the present time. It has been owned and operated for many years by his son, Nathaniel Keen. Adna Gilmore built an iron foundry about 1820, and for many years made cast- ings for the people in the town and vicinity as they had need. He was a mechanic, possessing skill and genius, and the products of his foundry were seen in the houses, and about the premises of a large part of the inhabitants. A carriage shop was built by Chase and Lord in 1834. Sarson Chase was a superior workman, and everything made by him was well and nicely done. He could do all the work on a carriage or sleigh, from the beginning to the finish, in a style which few could excel, or even equal. His last years were spent in Massachu- setts.
The first settlers in the place were Nathaniel Robertson, Benjamin Allen, Grinfill H. Keen, and Prince Waterman. The last named, the father of Deacon Thomas Waterman, of Turner Village, was the first blacksmith, and there was no one to succeed him in the business until 1835 or 1836, when John Warren set up the business in the base- ment of Chase and Lord's carriage-shop. For
93
HISTORY OF TURNER.
some years a Mr. Stevens has done the blacksmith work. Many years ago Cyrus French purchased the saw-mill, removed the up-and-down saw, put in a circular saw for sawing boards and timber, a machine for planing boards, and other machinery. About 1870, A. K. P. Gilmore erected a large build- ing on the site of the old foundry, which was designed for various industries, but is used at pres- ent as a saw-mill. A Mr. Alden, a perfectly blind man, opened a store here, which he managed suc- cessfully for a number of years. After him William Andrews went into trade, but three or four years ago closed out his goods, and engaged in the busi- ness of manufacturing ready-made garments for men's wear. A post-office was established here in 1873, and Mr. Andrews has been post-master nearly, if not quite, all the time from the first. About 1875, Fred Wing opened a grocery store, which is now the only one in the place.
CHASE'S MILLS.
Bani Teague built a saw-mill here about 1790 or I795. A grist-mill was built about ten years later, and the saw-mill was rebuilt. Southard Wash- burn bought the mills about 1815, and owned them several years. Joseph Howard, an excellent mechanic, repaired the mills, making great improve- ment in them. He went west or south to make
94
HISTORY OF TURNER.
mills for ginning cotton. Colonel Isaac Bearce built the "Mansion House," so-called, and had an interest in the mills at one time, but receiving serious injury in repairing the "bulk-head," he dis- posed of his interest, but whether he remained in the place, or moved away, our informant saith not. Jairus Allen bought the saw-mill, and operated it a number of years. William Lombard bought the grist-mill, and continued in business through the active period of life. In 1818 or 1820, a Mr. Phelps put in a machine for sawing clapboards, the building used for the purpose being about forty feet by twenty-five. This was the first machine of the kind in the vicinity. Isaac Chase came into the place, a young man, in 1820, and soon built a house, that in which his son Otho now lives; he also built a store, and became an active business man, and a prominent citizen. Up to this time the mills had been located on the right hand side of the bridge, across the stream, several rods above their present site. The dam erected at that point caused the low lands on the north and east to be overflowed in the time of high water, thus making them nearly valueless. Isaac Chase bought the saw-mill about 1835, when it was decided to remove all the mills to their present location below the bridge. In 1837 Mr. Lombard began to turn bowls, mortars, and wagon-hubs, and the grist-mill ceased
.
95
HISTORY OF TURNER.
to be operated. He continued in the business until the infirmities of age forbade. Thomas G. Burdin, a young man, came to learn the trade, or to work in the mill on some terms, gained an interest in the family, and in due time succeeded to the business. He ceased to make bowls and mortars, and gave his attention to turning hubs. His business became large and prosperous, and in 1884 he erected for himself one of the best residences in town. His mill was burnt in the winter of 1884, but was soon rebuilt and is in successful operation again. C. Carol Chase, the grandson of Isaac Chase, now owns the machine for sawing shingles, and controls the saw- mill. He manufactures large quantities of shingles, boards, and other lumber.
Solon Chase began the publication in this place, of "Chase's Chronicle," January 2d, 1875, and his connection with it continued until 1879, when it had a circulation of six thousand copies. It was then moved to Portland, its name changed to "Greenback Labor Chronicle," but was suspended in about a year. "Chase's Enquirer" was started March 18th, 1880, by a stock company, under the management of Solon Chase. The company be- came dissatisfied with the management, took the paper from the editor, and moved it to Lewiston in October, 1881. It was suspended in six months. When it was removed it had a circulation of three
96
HISTORY OF TURNER.
thousand copies. March 15th, 1882, he started another paper called " Them Steers," in which the "anti-fusion idea" was vigorously advocated. But this "idea " was not sufficiently popular to enable even a popular editor to win success under such a flag, and the paper was discontinued May 21st, 1883. The rooms in which these papers were printed were over Thomas G. Burdin's hub factory, which was consumed by fire March 20th, 1885, and in this fire the press, types, and fixtures were destroyed.
NORTH TURNER BIRDGE.
There is a small village in the northeast part of the town known by the above name. The bridge spans the Androscoggin River, connecting the town at this point with Leeds, formerly in Kennebec County. In 1825 the people of this place and vicinity became interested in the project of build- ing a bridge here, and petitioned the legislature for an act of incorporation, which was secured the next year. This company was organized January 20th, 1827, by the choice of Edward Blake, Walter Foss, and Nathaniel Perley as a board of directors. Dr. Timothy Howe was chosen general agent, and Thompson Hall, of Norway, architect. The bridge was built in 1828, was two hundred and sixty feet long, thirty-two feet wide, and cost about five thou-
97
HISTORY OF TURNER.
sand dollars. At its completion, dedicatory exer- cises were held, at which there was rejoicing and congratulation, and Dr. Howe made an address.
This bridge was carried away January 27th, 1839, by the great freshet which swept away the bridges at Turner Center, Jay, Canton, and other places. The bridge was rebuilt in the summer fol- lowing, at a cost of about five thousand dollars. Mr. George Emerson superintended the building. The work was successfully accomplished, but when it was nearly done, he fell from the top upon the eastern abutment, and injured his spine so seriously that he died December 2d, 1839. Aaron Soule, C. T. Richardson, and Isaiah Lara were the directors, and Joshua Whitman clerk.
Colonel Lee Strickland had a variety store in the place for several years previous to 1833, and was post-master. At the date mentioned, he sold out to Church P. Leavitt, who continued the busi- ness, and was post-master twenty-three years. At one time there was considerable travel on the river road and across the bridge, and a stage ran across the country from Paris to Augusta, crossing the river at this place, and there seemed to be some grounds for hope that Dr. Howe's prophecy respecting the growth of the village and the increase of travel would be fulfilled. The store not only furnished the needed supplies for the families in the vicinity, 8
.
98
HISTORY OF TURNER.
but was a convenient center for many who wished to talk over the news of the day, and find refresh- ment for the inner man. Mr. Leavitt chose to conduct his store on temperance principles. He built a hotel which he kept for ten years, when he leased it to other parties. The railroads were an injury to the business and thrift of the village, since they changed the course of travel, and caused the hopes that were at one time cherished, to perish. For many years there has been but little to enliven the place but a small country grocery and a black- smith shop.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.