A history of Turner, Maine, from its settlement to 1886, Part 7

Author: French, William Riley. [from old catalog]
Publication date: 1887
Publisher: Portland, Me., Hoyt, Fogg & Sonham
Number of Pages: 350


USA > Maine > Androscoggin County > Turner > A history of Turner, Maine, from its settlement to 1886 > Part 7


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19


TURNER CENTER BRIDGE.


Before the railroads were built an effort was made to secure direct communication between Oxford County and Augusta, the capital of the State. A route from Paris through Buckfield, Turner, and Monmouth, on to the capital, was planned, a new road built some portion of the way, leading across the Androscoggin River at a point about midway between the northern and southern bounds of Turner, and at one time a mail was carried across the country over this route. A bridge became necessary to accommodate the pro- spective travel, and an effort was made to secure one. The legislature granted the request of the petitioners for an act of incorporation.


At a meeting held in February, 1834, the corpo-


99


HISTORY OF TURNER.


ration voted to build a bridge, and "to furnish no spirits " to the men employed on the work. Pro- posals were received for the piers, abutments, and wood-work in separate jobs. In the fall of 1835 the bridge was opened to travel, and the efforts of the corporation were crowned with success. The great ice freshet which occurred in January, 1839, was destructive to bridges, and the Turner Center Bridge suffered with the rest. The corporation, not discouraged, held a meeting in February of that year, and voted, forty-five to eight, to rebuild their bridge. It seems that the piers were swept away as well as the superstructure, for it was voted. to do the stone-work by the day, while bids were invited for doing the wood-work. The bridge was completed that season, and by autumn was open again to travel, and paid fair dividends to the stock- holders, though it was more valuable for the accom- modation it furnished to the neighbors and the traveling public, than as a money investment.


In the spring of 1863, it appears that the bridge suffered again from a freshet, for in May of that year it was voted, "That J. W. Webster be agent to stick up and take care of that part of the bridge we saved." Immediate action was taken for rebuild- ing, but it was only by persistent effort that the means were secured for the work. The shares changed hands in a lively manner, indicating that


-


100


HISTORY OF TURNER.


many were anxious to sell that they might not be liable to another tax. The money, as an invest- ment, was flowing in the wrong direction; the bridge and the money both seemed going down stream together. But the difficulties were overcome, twenty-five new shares of stock were created and sold, funds were raised, and the bridge was rebuilt, but not until 1868. The bridge was now con- sidered better, perhaps, than ever before, and the corporation hoped it would long remain for the accommodation of the public, and be a source of profit to its owners. But in the summer of 1876, July 14th, a terrible cyclone passed that way, uprooting trees and wrecking everything in its path, took the bridge in its course, and hurled it into the river, amidst such a roar of elements that the crash of the falling structure was not heard by those who were nearest to it. And on the 7th day of August, the corporation voted "to take measures to remove the wreck of their bridge from the river." The corporators made some effort to rebuild, and held their annual meetings for a few years, but January 5th, 1880, they adjourned to the 24th of that month, but there is no record of a meeting at that or any subsequent time.


SURFACE, SOIL, AND PRODUCTS.


The surface is undulating for the most part, though there are, in some portions of the town,


IOI


HISTORY OF TURNER.


rugged hills. In the southern portion there is quite an extensive plain which has never been con- sidered desirable for cultivation, and has remained in its natural state, except that the wood and lumber have been removed as they came to maturity. In the western portion of the town there are hills, but on their sides, and in the valleys between, there are good farming lands. Much of the soil is a rocky loam, excellent for pasturage and the production of hay. It also produces the crops usually grown in Northern New England, and the judicious farmer secures good returns for his labor. The people are engaged for the most part in agriculture, and though not wealthy, as this word is generally used, are in good circumstances, possess the comforts of life, and are independent. Their buildings are generally suited to their needs, in good repair, and pleasing in appearance.


The rocky loam is adapted to orcharding, and apples and other fruits are grown in abundance. There is a good orchard on nearly every farm, while on some there are large orchards. Mr. Albion Ricker raised twelve hundred barrels of apples in 1885, besides pears and other fruits. This may not be regarded as an extraordinary harvest, though it may be more than an average one. Hon. Rufus Prince, David J. Briggs, the Messrs. Blossom, Lewis B. Staples, Rackley D. Leavitt, and others have


IO2


HISTORY OF TURNER.


large orchards. A large proportion of the trees have been grafted, and the Baldwin is the favorite apple for the market, though others are produced in considerable quantities.


There are two cider-mills in town at which large quantities of cider are made from fruit worth but little for other purposes. The owners of these mills, G. W. Blossom and Lewis B. Staples, make the apples into cider, giving three gallons for each bushel, and receiving three cents per gallon for their labor. This is a great improvement on the former custom, which was, that each man made his own cider, paying for the use of the mill. The interest in fruit growing is increasing, and apples grown in Maine have a flavor and possess keeping qualities which secure for them a good reputation in the market. There are many orchards in town that have not yet come into bearing.


The dairy business is, perhaps, the leading one in town, a large part of the farmers being engaged in it, and several of them quite extensively. The farmers have given special attention to the improve- ment of their dairy herds, and the Jersey cow is uniformly selected as the best adapted to their use. Some claim that Turner stands first in the State as a dairy town; and it is certain that if any other town challenges her right to this claim, she will find in Turner no mean competitor for the coveted honors.


103


HISTORY OF TURNER.


The cheese factory at Richmonds Corner, usually designated as North Turner Cheese Factory, was started in the spring of 1874, by Perkins Torrey, Rackley Leavitt and one or two others. The sum of $2500 was raised for the purpose, a building was erected, and Ira Mason began to make cheese in June of that year. Only 2,648 pounds of milk were received in one day ; 600 cheeses were made, weigh- ing eight tons. The enterprise proved successful, and the product of cheese has increased from year to year under the faithful management of Mr. Mason, and the capital stock has been increased to $3000. In 1885 over 35 tons of cheese were made, and 5200 pounds of milk were received in one day. The factory was in operation from April 27th to October 2Ist. The cost to the patrons for making is one and one-fourth cents per pound, and the divi- dend received by the shareholders is eight per cent. The cheese has a good reputation in the market, and commands a good price and ready sale. The present year promises to be equally successful as the preceding, and the same man has charge of it, this being his thirteenth year in the factory.


TURNER CENTER DAIRYING ASSOCIATION.


This association was organized in February, 1882, in accordance with the law of the state, and a board of officers was chosen. Its object was declared to be the manufacture of "butter, cheese, and evapo-


104


HISTORY OF TURNER.


rated apples." A constitution and by-laws were adopted, and subscriptions to the capital stock, amounting to $1,345.00 were secured. A building was erected, and all the apparatus needed in the manufacture of cheese provided. The services of George A. Young were secured and the factory went into operation in June. It was conducted with a fair degree of success, but many farmers in the vicinity did not patronize it because they preferred to make butter. About thirty-two tons of cheese were made, and found a ready market at remunera- tive prices. During the next winter the subject of making butter was discussed, but the Association not favoring a change in the business, the season of 1883 was devoted to cheese-making with a fair degree of success, but in the autumn, rooms were fitted up in the basement of the cheese factory for the manufacture of butter, the machinery and vari- ous appliances for the business were procured, and Edwin L. Bradford began to make butter February 4, 1884. One hundred pounds were made the first day, and nearly that amount was made daily through the winter. It was a new enterprise and every- thing had to be learned, but the product of the factory was received with favor and took rank with the best makes in the markets of Boston and other cities. The success was such that the stockholders were not in favor of making cheese, though the rooms used for that purpose were unoccupied.


ยท


105


HISTORY OF TURNER.


In the eleven months ending with November, 1885, there were collected 162,566 inches of cream, and 79,628 I-4 pounds of butter made. The butter sold for $19,751.26, to which must be added the receipts for cream, buttermilk, and salt bags, $490.24, all amounting to $20,241.50. The amount paid the patrons was $16,796.52, leaving $3,444.98 for ex- penses, interest, etc. The expense of collecting the cream, making and marketing the butter, was a little over four cents per pound. The amount now made per day is 450 pounds, and finds a ready market in the cities, and places of summer resort on our coast.


There are several farmers who choose to make their butter at home. Among these are Eransus Merrill, who makes about 2,900 pounds a year and receives a good price for it from a commission mer- chant in a Massachusetts city, who has received it for years; Nathaniel Merrill who makes about 2,500 pounds a year and supplies customers who seek a choice article; Russel Merrill who makes about 2,200 pounds a year and has city customers ; and Roscoe Dillingham who makes about 4,700 pounds a year and supplies customers in the adjacent cities.


POST-OFFICES AND MAIL ROUTES.


The first county road through the town passed along the Upper Street, so called, and probably


.


106


HISTORY OF TURNER.


down by Mr. Barrell's, through the woods, by the residence of Dea. Martin Bradford, where Alden Briggs now lives, over Dillingham hill to North Auburn, thence over West Auburn hill and Perkins' Ridge to Minot Corner, known formerly as Groven- eur's Corner, through Poland and New Gloucester on to Portland. The road was extended north from the "Upper Street" as the needs of the settlers required. Inquiry makes it probable that this was the road traveled for many years to and from Portland, and that this was substantially the route by which the first settlers reached the planta- tion when the road was a path through the woods, and spotted trees served as guide-boards.


The first post-office in town was established in 1804, and Ichabod Bonney was appointed post- master. His death occurring soon after, Gen. Alden Blossom was appointed his successor. For a number of years the people were favored with a weekly mail only, carried on horseback. When the postman approached the office, he sounded a trum- pet to notify all hands within hearing that he was near, that they might be prepared for his reception by their presence and attention. For twenty-five years or more the town had enjoyed no postal facil- ities, and now a mail brought once a week into their very midst, and its coming announced by sound of trumpet, moved them not a little. For were they not highly favored? Josiah Smith and


107


HISTORY OF TURNER.


William Sawin were the mail carriers in those days.


In 1825, a new post-office was established at Turner Village, and William K. Porter was ap- pointed postmaster. A new county road was made through the town, much easier for travelers than the old one, being over land much nearer level, so that the old road was used but little. The first post-office now accommodated only the neighbor- hood and was discontinued, the post road not lead- ing by it. William K. Porter was postmaster until his death, I think. The mail, after a time, was carried in a stage-coach drawn by four horses, and was brought three times a week each way. John Blake was postmaster till about 1848 when Hiram Clark was appointed his successor, and continued in office about ten years, or until his death.


Hira Bradford took charge of the office October 22, 1861, and retired from it April 22, 1869.


Mellen A. Bearce was postmaster from April 23, 1869, to March 31, 1881.


William L. Bonney had charge of the office from April 1, 1881, to October 19, 1885.


Walter B. Irish became postmaster October 20, 1885.


The stage ran from Farmington to Portland through Turner every other day, and on alternate days from Portland to Farmington, until the rail-


108


HISTORY OF TURNER.


road was built to Auburn when that place became the terminus of the stage route.


The post-office at East Turner was established in 1831, and Ezekiel Martin was appointed postmaster. He retained the office twenty-five years. The mail was brought at first on horseback from Winthrop, probably once a week. At length it was carried from Auburn up the river road. Hooper Conant carried the mail at an early period over this route, if he was not the first to carry it. A post-office was established at North Turner Bridge shortly after that at East Turner, and was supplied in the same manner. At one time, before the railroads were built, it was attempted to establish a stage line and mail route across the country from Paris to Augusta, and for awhile the mail was carried thus. This was about 1841 and later. But stages could not compete with railroads, and when the latter were constructed the stages were compelled to retire.


John W. Webster was appointed postmaster at East Turner in 1856, and continued in the office till 1863, when James D. Gilbert was appointed his successor, and cared for the office until 1874. R. S. Coolidge was postmaster two years. In 1876 John W. Webster was appointed again and served until his death in September, 1881; when the present occupant was appointed, Warren Webster. This,


109


HISTORY OF TURNER.


as well as all the other offices in town, is favored with a daily mail each way.


The post-office at North Turner was established at an early day, and Dr. Timothy Howe was ap- pointed postmaster. Lewis A. Farrar has had charge of the office for many years, discharging the duties thereof in a manner satisfactory to all persons and parties. This was on the old route from Farmington to Portland, but for a long while the mail has been carried daily each way between this place and Auburn.


The post-office at Turner Center was established February 24, 1873, and Lewis P. Bradford ap- pointed postmaster. The first mail was delivered March 13, 1873; and no change has been made by new appointments since.


The post-office at Keen's Mills was established in 1873, and William Andrews was appointed post- master, but on account of a pressure of private busi- ness he resigned recently, and Fred Wing was appointed his successor.


At South Turner Charles H. Barrell was ap- pointed postmaster January 25, 1875; he received his commission February 13th following, and the first mail was received the 15th of March ensuing. No change has been attempted in this office. A stage runs daily from Auburn, by South Turner, Turner Center, East Turner, Keen's Mills, to North Turner Bridge.


IIO


HISTORY OF TURNER.


The post-office at Chase's Mills was established in December, 1874, and Solon Chase appointed postmaster, who still holds the position. This office is served by a mail carried from Turner Village to Buckfield, a distance of six miles.


CONGREGATIONAL PARISH.


The history of the first church and society in the town was written by Rev. Allen Greely, and pub- lished in the Ecclesiastical History of Maine, by Rev. Jonathan Greenleaf. This history is doubtless correct, and will be read with interest, and is as follows : -


The Plantation was visited in 1776 by the Rev. Charles Turner, who the year before had been dismissed from the church in Duxborough. He preached to the few who lived in the place, and baptized two of the children of Mr. Haskell .* He made a second visit in 1799, received some into covenant rela- tion, and baptized several children and one adult. Nothing further was done at that time respecting organizing a church. Among the families which removed into the plantation was that of Deacon Merrill who belonged to the church in New Gloucester, and he usually led in the exercises of the religious meetings among the settlers. For five years after Mr. Turner's second visit, the plantation was not favored with the visits of any ministers except the Rev. Mr. Brown, of Westbrook, and the Rev. Mr. Nash, of Gray, who spent each a Sabbath or two with them. In the summer of 1784, the place was visited by the Rev. John Strickland, who had previously been settled in


* The children baptized on the first visit were Asa and Elizabeth Haskell, and on the second visit, William Bradford and the following children: Mary Haskell, Edward Keen, Gad Hayford, Hannah Merrill, and Edward Blake.


III


HISTORY OF TURNER.


the pastoral office twice; first at Oakham, Massachusetts, and afterward at Nottingham West, in New Hampshire. He was born in Hadley, Massachusetts, and graduated at Yale College, in 1669. Not long after Mr. Strickland came to the place, measures were taken to organize a church, which was done in the Presbyterian form, August 16, 1784.


The following paper, signed in Sylvester, July 11, 1799, by Charles Turner Jr., Israel Haskell, Jacob Leavitt, Daniel Briggs, Daniel Staples, Jabez Merrill, and William Bradford, but omitted by Mr. Greely, is worthy of preservation :


" We, whose names are hereunto subscribed, inhabitants of the plantation of Sylvester, or preparing to settle there, appre- hending ourselves called of God into the church state of the Gospel ; admiring the wonderful grace of God in condescending to deal in a covenanting way with the sinful children of men ; confessing our great unworthiness to be so highly favored of God as to be admitted into covenant with him, and humbly relying on those aids of grace the Gospel furnisheth to those who humbly and sincerely seek them, and of which we acknowledge ourselves to stand in the greatest necessity ; do now thankfully lay hold on the evangelical covenant and would choose the things which please God. We declare our session's belief that the Scriptures are the inspired word of God, to the great doc- trines of which we desire to conform our faith, and sincerely promise to conform with all diligence and good conscience our tempers and our lives to the excellent directions and precepts of Christianity as long as we live in the world. At the same time we oblige ourselves to take a laudable care of the relig- ious Christian education of the children whom God hath gra- ciously given or may give unto us. And all this we do, flying to the blood of the everlasting covenant for the pardon of our errors, and praying that the glorious Lord, who is the Great Shepherd, would prepare and strengthen us for every good


II2


HISTORY OF TURNER.


work to do His will, working in us that which is well pleasing to Him ; to whom be glory forever. Amen."


The church was composed of fifteen members, twelve men and three women. The plan of a church government was approved by the people assembled as a congregation, and Mr. Strickland received the united and unanimous call of the church and congregation to become their pastor. On the twentieth of the next month (September, 1784), the "Sabon Presbytery " assembled, consisting of Rev. Nathaniel Whitaker, D.D., Rev. Samuel Perley, and Rev. John Urquhart, with which Mr. Strick- land was connected, at Sylvester, for his installation. On this occasion Mr. Urquhart offered the introductory prayer, Dr. Whitaker preached from 2 Kings 2: 19-22, and Mr. Perley gave the charge. At the time of Mr. Strickland's settlement, the families in town were about thirty, containing probably about two hundred souls.


After his settlement, Mr. Strickland enjoyed peace in his connection with the people for a number of years, and the church increased to about thirty members. Six years after his settlement, the minds of the people became divided, and at length a majority in regular town meeting voted for his dismis- sion.


With this proposal Mr. Strickland did not see fit to comply. Those who were alienated from him, now joined with a number of people of Buckfield and petitioned the General Court for an act of incorporation as a Baptist society. The act was passed November 17, 1792, by which sixty-one persons were incorpo- rated. Twenty-four of these lived in Turner. In less than two years, twenty persons more joined this society, and the adherents of Mr. Strickland were left few in number.


* This was a trying time to Mr. Strickland. He had a large family to support, and the number of his true friends was very small. His means were limited. At a meet ing called March 12, 1792, to consult about his dismission, fourteen voted in favor and only four against.


II3


HISTORY OF TURNER.


Nevertheless, in consequence of their desire, he consented to continue their minister, agreeing to relinquish such pro- portion of his salary as the taxable property of those who left bore to the whole town. After this the number of Mr. Strickland's friends diminished by deaths and removals, so that, in 1795, it was thought advisable, under existing circumstances, to solicit the advice of an Ecclesiastical Council.


The churches of Harpswell, Brunswick, Freeport, and Tops- ham composed this council. The pastors of these churches, with a delegate from each, met September 16th, and after attending to such statements as were made to give a view of existing difficulties, the council advised that Mr. Strickland should continue his pastoral connections with the church for one year, and if the difficulties should then subsist, he should ask a dismission, and the church and people should grant it. At the same time, in view of this event, the Council recom- mended Mr. Strickland as a man of unimpeached character, and sound in the faith. After the expiration of the year, things being no more favorable, it became a question with the church whether another council were necessary, and having ascertained that it was not, after some delay, a dismission was granted to Mr. Strickland by the church and the people, May 18, 1797.


For several years after Mr. Strickland's dismission, the place was a spiritual wilderness. The church was diminishing by death and removals of members, and the few that remained had so little of the life and power of religion, that they did not maintain public worship.


The town being without a minister, complaint was made against them in the fall of 1802 to the Court of Sessions of the Peace, * "for neglecting to provide themselves with a public teacher of piety, morality, and religion."


The town, by their agent, appeared before the court, and


* Isaiah Bonney was the witness against the town in this case, and Daniel Howard, Esq., was chosen to appear in behalf of the town.


9


114


HISTORY OF TURNER.


pleaded that they were unwilling to contend, and desired to have longer time to comply with the law. Being thus excited to do something for the support of a minister, Mr. Strickland, who still continued to reside in town, and Rev. Charles Turner, who had resided in town from 1792, were each employed for a time. After both had preached the term of time agreed upon by each, a call, with certain conditions, was voted by the town for Mr. Turner to settle in the work of the Gospel ministry .* The church, having previously selected Mr. Strickland to the pas- toral office, voted not to concur with the town, but to adhere to the election they had made.


In this election of the church, the town refused to concur. There being this disagreement between the town and the church, there could be no further proceedings in relation to either candidate. As the church had been six years destitute of a pastor, and their members had become much diminished by several members withdrawing themselves and uniting with other denominations, and by the death and removals of others ; and, as but imperfect records had been kept of the proceedings of the church, and it not appearing distinctly by the records of the church who belonged to it, some, dissatisfied that the church did not concur with the town, denied that a church existed there.


This induced the church to call an Ecclesiastical Council, to advise them in their difficulties, and to determine whether they were a church. A council, as requested, assembled on the 18th of October, 1803, and after attending to a representation to the existing state of things, gave it as their unanimous opinion that




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.