A history of Cuyahoga County and the City of Cleveland, (Vol. 3), Part 11

Author: Coates, William R., 1851-1935
Publication date: 1924
Publisher: Chicago, American Historical Society
Number of Pages: 452


USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > A history of Cuyahoga County and the City of Cleveland, (Vol. 3) > Part 11


Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42


79


THE CITY OF CLEVELAND


reputation as a diagnostician, in which connection his interposition was much in demand on the part of his professional confreres. Doctor Osborn was identified with leading professional organizations, including the Amer- ican Institute of Homeopathy, was a republican in political allegiance, and at the time of his death he was president of the Cleveland Philosophical Society, in the affairs of which he had long been influential.


On the 6th of February, 1872, was solemnized the marriage of Doctor Osborn and Miss Mary King, daughter of the late Zenas King, a distin- guished Cleveland citizen to whom a memoir is dedicated in the preceding sketch. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Osborn has continued her residence in Cleveland, and her beautiful home, at 2597 Guilford Road, is a center of gracious hospitality and of much social activity of representa- tive character. The Doctor is survived also by one daughter, Eleanor, who is the wife of Samuel H. Moore, of Cleveland. Mr. and Mrs. Moore became the parents of three children, of whom the second, Homer Osborn, died in October, 1923, at the age of fifteen years. Jane, elder of the two surviving children, remains at the parental home, and Edward also con- tinues to reside in Cleveland.


FARRELL THOMAS GALLAGHER, A. B., M. D., is one of the able and representative physicians and surgeons of the younger generation of his native county, and is established in successful general practice at Lakewood, with office headquarters at 16409 Detroit Avenue.


Doctor Gallagher was born in the family home on the West Side of Cleveland, January 9, 1895, he being a representative of an old and well known Cleveland family. His grandfather, Farrell Gallagher, was born and reared in Ireland and became one of the early settlers on Seneca Street, in the Lighthouse Hill district of Cleveland. He was actively identified with the interests of this section of Cleveland for many years, and was one of the venerable and honored citizens of the Ohio metropolis at the time of his death. He married Mary Gallagher, who, though of the same name, was of no relationship.


Thomas M. Gallagher, father of the doctor, was born in the old family homestead on Lighthouse Hill, in 1856, and he has maintained his home in Cleveland, where he has been associated with the United States mail service for the past thirty-seven years. He married Miss Anna Feighan, who was born in Ireland, a daughter of William Feighan, and both are members of the Catholic Church.


Doctor Gallagher completed the curriculum of the public schools and in 1915 was graduated from Saint Ignatius College at Cleveland with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He then entered the medical department of Western Reserve University, and in this institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1919. After receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine he further fortified himself by his service as an interne in Lake- side Hospital in 1919-20, and in Charity Hospital, 1920. He has since been established in the independent and general practice of his profession at Lakewood, and his personal popularity has combined with his professional ability to gain him a substantial and representative practice. He is doing effective work in the educational department of his profession, being demonstrator in anatomy at his alma mater, the Medical School of Western


80


CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND


Reserve University. He is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medi- cine, the Ohio State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. The Doctor is a communicant of the Catholic Church, and has received the Alhambra degree in Gilmore Council of the Knights of Columbus, besides which he is affiliated with the Alpha Omega Alpha college fraternity.


Doctor Gallagher married Miss Martha G. Burns, who was born and reared in Cleveland, where her father, Joseph H. Burns, is a successful and well known business man.


RUSSELL BOYD CRAWFORD, M. D., one of the representative physicians and surgeons of the younger generation in Cuyahoga County, established in successful practice in the City of Lakewood, was born at Coshocton, Ohio, February 7, 1891, and is a son of Samuel L. and Carvetta (Boyd) Craw- ford, both natives of Coshocton County. James Bothwell Crawford, grand- father of the doctor, was a native of Ireland, and was numbered among the early settlers in Coshocton County, where he became a successful farmer, and where he passed the remainder of his life. Robert Boyd, maternal grandfather of Doctor Crawford, was of Irish lineage and a descendant of Albert Boyd, who came to the United States and became a pioneer of Coshocton County, he having been the founder of the Boyd family which has been in Ohio for seven successive generations. The parents of Doctor Crawford are still residents of Coshocton County.


Doctor Crawford was graduated from the Coshocton High School as a member of the class of 1910, and, after teaching school one year, he was for two years a student in Wooster University. Thereafter he was for a time a student in the medical department of Ohio State University, and com- pleted his professional course in the medical department of Northwestern University in Chicago, where he was graduated as a member of the class of 1917, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. While in Chicago he further fortified himself through the clinical experience gained while he was serving as an interne in the People's Hospital. In the year of his gradua- tion Doctor Crawford entered into the practice of his profession at Jeromesville, Ashland County, Ohio, but in the following year he found a wider sphere of service in connection with American participation in the World war. . He was commissioned a lieutenant in the Medical Corps of the United States Army, and was stationed at Chickamauga Park, Georgia, at the time when the signing of the armistice brought the war to a close, and continued in service until he received his honorable discharge and was mustered out, January 14, 1919. On the first of the following month he opened an office at Lakewood. He is a member of the staff of Lakewood Hospital, and is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. In the Masonic fraternity the Doctor is affiliated with Clifton Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and Cunningham Chapter, Royal Arch Masons.


Doctor Crawford wedded Miss Clela May Gordon, daughter of David O. Gordon, of Ashland, Ohio, and the two children of this union are Robert Gordon and Mary Irene, aged, respectively, eight and three years.


THOMAS BURDINE ARMSTRONG has been a resident of Lakewood since 1902, and has witnessed and aided in the development of this community


81


THE CITY OF CLEVELAND


from a village to a modern city of more than 50,000 population. He is now one of the prominent real estate and insurance operators in the Cleveland metropolitan district and is valued as a loyal and progressive citizen.


In a modest log house on a farm in Ralls County, Missouri, Thomas B. Armstrong was born August 27, 1862, a son of the late Julius L. and Lucy M. (Shults) Armstrong. Lewis Armstrong, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born and reared in the City of Edinburgh, Scot- land, and upon coming to the United States he established his residence in the State of New York. At the time the discovery of gold in California was drawing a horde of argonauts to that state Lewis Armstrong, accom- panied by his sons, Julius L. and Wallace, started for California, but upon arriving in Ralls County, Missouri, they decided to forego their further westward journey and to establish their home there. When the Civil war was precipitated Lewis Armstrong and his elder son, Wallace, enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, in which the father was made color- bearer, and with this command the two continued in the active service of the Union until the close of the war. Lewis Armstrong was a good work- man at the trade of miller and also that of shoemaker, and after the war he came to Ohio and settled at what is now the attractive little City of Willoughby, Lake County, where he built and operated a grist mill on the Chagrin River, a short distance from the village. He passed the remainder of his life in that place, and was specially active and appreciative as a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.


Julius L. Armstrong came with his family to Willoughby, Ohio, and after a few years devoted to farm enterprise in that section of Lake County he engaged in contracting and building, with which he there continued his active association during the remainder of his life. He had volunteered for service in the Civil war, but was rejected by reason of physical disa- bility. Later he succeeded in enrolling himself in the Union ranks, but he was soon discharged, for the same reason that had prompted his original rejection for military service. His wife was born in Missouri, a daughter of Alexander Shults, who was born in Germany and who became a pioneer settler and a most popular citizen of Missouri, he having been but a boy, however, at the time of the family immigration to the United States. The sailing vessel on which the family took passage was lost at sea, but he was rescued, his parents losing their lives in the disaster. Upon arriving in port in the United States the orphan boy was taken in charge by kindly strangers, whom he accompanied to Missouri, in which state he passed the remainder of his life. Mrs. Julius L. Armstrong, like her husband, passed the closing years of her life at Willoughby, Ohio, where she died in the year 1909.


Thomas B. Armstrong was a lad of eight years when he came with his parents from Missouri to Willoughby, Ohio, where he was reared to adult age and received the advantages of the public schools. Soon after leaving school he began working for his father, and later he became a member of the firm of J. L. Armstrong & Sons, contractors and builders, at Willoughby. At that place he subsequently learned the trade of patternmaker in the establishment of J. W. Penfield & Son Company, in which he finally was made foreman of the pattern department. In 1888 he took the position of foreman of the pattern department of the Hill Clutch Works in Cleveland.


Vol. III-6


82


CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND


and a year later he assumed a similar position with the American Ship Building Company. Six years later he took charge of the pattern depart- ment of the Winton Automobile Company, and there in 1912 he produced the patterns for the first six-cylinder Winton car, he having continued his alliance with this Cleveland automobile concern five years. In 1902, as pre- viously stated in this article, he established his residence at Lakewood, and here he has been engaged in the real estate and insurance business since 1917. In connection with the splendid growth of Lakewood he has handled more pieces of local realty and brought to the city a greater number of desirable citizens than has any other one man here operating in the real estate business. He gave four years of loyal and effective service as a member of the City Council, and he was chairman of the parks and proper- ties committee, which established all of the present public parks and play- grounds of Lakewood. Many other public improvements of most important order were made during his period of service in the City Council. Mr. Armstrong has large real estate interests in Florida, owning fine property at Melbourn, that state, and where he has built homes for himself and daughters, maintaining homes both in Florida and Lakewood.


Mr. Armstrong is a member of the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce, is actively identified with the Lakewood Republican Club, and is a member of the Cleveland Automobile Club. He is a member of Clifton Lodge No. 664, Free and Accepted Masons; Thatcher Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons ; Lakewood Council No. 125, Royal and Select Masters ; Al Koran Temple of the Mystic Shrine; Lake Erie Consistory of the Scottish Rite, thirty-second degree, and Holy Grail Commandery No. 70, Knights Templar, Lakewood.


Mr. Armstrong wedded Miss Etta L. Pease, daughter of Joseph Pease, of Chardon, Ohio. Of this union there are two children. Melva E. is the wife of William Smith, of Cleveland, and they have one son, Donald A. Mildred J. is the wife of Ralph J. Whiting, of New Haven, Connecticut. They reside in Lakewood.


CHARLES WALLACE EMMONS, M. D., one of the leading physicians of Lakewood, was born at New Alexander, Columbiana County, on April 13, 1883, and is the son of Harrison and Mary (Lower) Emmons, both of whom were natives of that section of the state. The father, Harrison, was born October 3, 1840, and was the son of Enos Emmons, a native of Virginia, who was the first member of this branch of the Emmons family to come to Ohio. When the Civil war broke out in 1861, Harrison Emmons enlisted in the First Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until September, 1864, when he was honorably discharged and mustered out, and immediately returned to his home in Columbiana County. Soon after the close of the war he went to Iowa, where he secured a half section of land, and for eight years was there engaged in farming and stock raising, at the end of which time he sold out and returned to Columbiana County, and engaged in merchandising at New Alexander, continuing in business for about thirty years. During that period he also served as postmaster of the village and as treasurer of the township.


He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. His wife, Mary, the daughter of Michael Lower, one of the early pioneers of Columbiana


Ement Q. Willnot


83


THE CITY OF CLEVELAND


County, was born May 31, 1846. To their marriage the following children have been born: William Sherman, who is an attorney of Alliance, Ohio ; Catherine, who married Professor Crist, of Mount Union College, and following his death she married James E. Scott and they reside in Cleve- land; Albert F., who is a real estate dealer of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania ; Delmer O., who is in the mercantile business at Minerva, Ohio; Ida, who became the wife of William Culbertson and they live at Alliance ; Harry H., who is a practicing attorney at Canton, Ohio; Dr. Charles W., subject ; James B., a merchant of Cleveland; and Mary, who married Corwin Ray, of Baird, Ohio.


Doctor Emmons was reared in New Alexander, acquired his early education in the public schools, taught school for one year, and then attended Mt. Union College for three years. He was graduated from the Cleve- land College of Physicians and Surgeons, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, class of 1906. That college is now the medical department of Western Reserve University. During 1906-7 he served as interne at the Cleveland City Hospital, and then engaged in the general practice of his profession at Rogers, Ohio. After several years he changed his location to Fairport Harbor, on Lake Erie, in Lake County, and in 1920 came to Lakewood, where he has since continued in the general practice of his profession. He maintains his offices at the corner of Brown Road and Madison Avenue, where he completed in 1924 a beautiful brick residential and commercial apartment, one of the best in that section of Lakewood. He there also established a first class pharmacy, which is in charge of his nephew, a graduate pharmacist.


Doctor Emmons is a member of the Ohio State and the American Medical associations. While practicing at Fairport he was secretary- treasurer of the Lake County Medical Society. He is a member of Temple Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Painsville; Lakewood Lodge, Inde- pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Knights of the Maccabees. He is vice president and a director of the Medicraft Company, manufac- turers of fine soap and toilet articles, with a nation-wide market and a high reputation.


In 1906 the Doctor married Jennie L. Heastand, who was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, the daughter of Frank L. and Ella Heastand. The Doctor and wife have a daughter, Carolyn Roce, eleven years of age.


ERNEST P. WILMOT. Through a period of nearly half a century Ernest P. Wilmot has practiced law at Chagrin Falls in Cuyahoga County, and has not only won an enviable place in his profession, but is held in high esteem for the fine quality of public service he has rendered in that community.


He was born at Mantua, in Portage County, Ohio, March 11, 1851, son of Amzi and Minerva (Dudley) Wilmot. His father was born at Mantua, in Portage County, in 1823, and died there in April, 1899, having spent all his active years in farming. He took an active part in political matters as a republican, and for many years was a director of the Portage County Infirmary.


Ernest P. Wilmot is the oldest of five children, four of whom are living. He attended the district schools, a select school at Mantua, and was also


84


CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND


a student in Hiram Institute. After completing his education he worked on the home farm, and began the study of law in 1872 with H. C. Ranney and E. P. Hatfield, then of Ravenna, later of Cleveland. Subsequently Mr. Wilmot continued his law studies with George F. Robinson, of Ravenna, who served continuously on the common pleas bench longer than any other judge in Ohio. Mr. Wilmot was admitted to the bar at Warren in April, 1876, and in the course of his long career and general practice at Chagrin Falls, has represented nearly all the important cases originated in this section of the county.


Mr. Wilmot has also served as justice of the peace and mayor. In 1902 he was head of the city government when the first pavement was laid in Chagrin Falls. He prepared the local legislation for the sewers in 1906 and for all of the pavements except two. Mr. Wilmot has been a mem- ber of Golden Gate Lodge No. 245, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, since 1884, and has served as worshipful master and since 1905 as secre- tary of the lodge. Since 1885 he has been a Royal Arch Mason and served as high priest in 1891. On January 31, 1884, he married Miss Emma J. Waterman, who died June 19. 1919. The only child of their marriage was Virgil Wilmot, who died May 26, 1923. The son left surviving him his widow, Ethel M. Wilmot, and a son, David L. Wilmot, and a son, John P., was born in August, following his death.


GEORGE WALLACE ORR, a resident of Cleveland and active in local business affairs for over a quarter of a century, has for the last twenty-five years been superintendent and manager of the Rose Building, one of the largest of the down town business blocks.


Mr. Orr is a native of Ohio, born at Youngstown, January 16, 1869. In the paternal line he is of Scotch ancestry. The first of this branch of the family to come to America was John Orr, who settled in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. His son, Charles Orr, was born in Westmoreland County. John D. Orr, son of Charles, and father of George W., was born at Mount Jackson, Pennsylvania, September 22, 1842. Moving to Ohio in 1862, he located at Youngstown, and for many years did a successful business as a carpenter contractor in that city. During the Harrison administration he was appointed to a position in the Government revenue department, ånd was connected with that branch of the federal service for five years. He died at Youngstown.in 1915. John D. Orr married Rebecca Armstrong, of English ancestry. She was born at Youngstown in 1843, and died in that city in 1905. Her father was Hugh Wallace Armstrong, a native of Mercer County, Pennsylvania.


George Wallace Orr was reared at Youngstown, attended the public schools of that city, and also had training in a commercial business college and then in the Special Business College. After several years in the retail grocery business he moved from Youngstown to Cleveland in 1896, and his work here had been almost entirely in connection with the management of some of the large properties in the down town area. For a time he was connected with the American Trust Building. Since 1918 he has been superintendent and manager of the Rose Building. He is also a director in the Dover Savings & Loan Company and has various financial interests.


85


THE CITY OF CLEVELAND


Mr. Orr is affiliated with Bigelow Lodge No. 243, Free and Accepted Masons, Keystone Chapter No. 217, Royal Arch Masons, Oriental Com- mandery No. 12, Knights Templar, Lake Erie Consistory of the Scottish Rite, Al Koran Temple of the Mystic Shrine and the Masonic Club. He is also a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the Pilgrim Congrega- tional Church.


August 28, 1890, Mr. Orr married Helen N. Hull, of Youngstown, but a native of Pittsburgh. Her father was Prof. W. N. Hull, of Cedar Falls, Iowa.


ARTHUR HENRY SEIBIG. Among the well known bankers of Cleveland who have won success and prestige in the financial history of the city is Arthur H. Seibig, president of the United Banking & Trust Company, with which important banking house he has been connected, as boy and man, for over thirty-three years, rising from messenger boy, in 1891, to president in 1919.


Mr. Seibig is a native-born son of Cleveland, and on his mother's side is descended from the old Hoffman family, pioneers of the West Side, of which family four generations have had part in the affairs of that section of the city. He is the son of the late Jacob J. and Mary (Pastner) Seibig, the father a native of Germany, the mother of Cleveland, as was her father also.


Arthur H. Seibig was born January 29, 1877, and received his educa- tion in the public schools of the city. In 1891 he left school to enter the employ of what was then the West Side Banking Company, and from that time to the present he has given his, undivided services to that institution, and the history of its growth and development from what was originally the West Side Banking Company into the United Banking & Trust Com- pany of today is the story of the growth and development of its president.


Mr. Seibig is a member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, the Cleveland Chamber of Industry, the Bankers, Union, Athletic, Clifton and Westwood clubs, and of the Masonic Order (including the York and Scottish Rite degrees).


On April 15, 1902, Mr. Seibig was united in marriage with Miss Bertha Beckenbach, who was born in Cleveland, the daughter of William and Bertha Beckenbach.


CHARLES KROEHLE. The late Charles Kroehle was one of the well known and highly esteemed citizens of the South Side of Cleveland, where he made his home for over thirty years and where, retired from active business and surrounded by his family and many warm friends, he passed his peaceful declining years.


This branch of the Kroehle family is of German stock, and three gen- erations ago was living in a Rhenish province which was acquired from Germany by France during the time of the first Napoleon, and the father of Charles, because of his stalwart size and military training and bearing, became one of Napoleon's grenadiers and personal body guard, and as such accompanied the Emperor on the ill-fated invasion of Russia, and died from exposure during the Moscow campaign. The father of Charles was a hotel keeper.


86


CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND


Charles Kroehle was born in Germany, in 1826. He was a baker by trade. He came to the United States in 1852. Immediately attracted by the wonderful stories coming from the gold fields of the far West, Mr. Kroehle went out to the Pacific Coast and spent fifteen years in the min- ing districts of California and at Virginia City, Nevada. In 1867 he returned East from the coast and came to Cleveland, locating in Brooklyn Village (now a part of the city), where he spent the remainder of his life, dying there in 1897.


In 1868 Mr. Kroehle was united in marriage with Mary A. Schneider, who was brought from Germany to the United States and to Cleveland when she was six months old. Her father, the late Jacob Schneider, was a pioneer piano manufacturer of Cleveland, with his factory standing on the site of the old courthouse on the Public Square. Mrs. Kroehle has spent practically her entire life in Cleveland and, as girl and woman, has been privileged to witness the wonderful growth and radical changes in the city during her time. She survives her husband, and is at this writing eighty-four years of age.


To the marriage of Charles and Mary A. (Schneider) Kroehle the fol- lowing children were born: Oscar, Wendell, Ida (the widow of Harvey D. Guiley ), Otto, Albert E. and Paul E.


PAUL ERNST KROEHLE. Among the native-born men of Cleveland who have won success as business men and prestige as citizens is Paul E. Kroehle, of The Paul E. Kroehle Company, one of the large food brokerage concerns of the country.


Mr. Kroehle was born in Brooklyn Village (now a part of the City of Cleveland) on December 5, 1878, the son of Charles and Mary A. (Schneider) Kroehle, of whom extended mention is made in the pre- ceding sketch. He was educated in the grammar and high schools of the city and at Adelbert College of Western Reserve University, and upon leaving college he entered 'the food brokerage business on his own account.




Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.