USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > A history of Cuyahoga County and the City of Cleveland, (Vol. 3) > Part 39
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42
and his wife in 1895. The deed to their old home at 1511 Oregon Avenue, dated in 1859, is still carefully preserved in the family. There were four children: Maggie, wife of A. C. Bard, now a resident of Los Angeles, California; Thomas J .; Rose, wife of Terrence Gilbride, an accountant with the New York Central Railway; and Nellie, wife of John Mack, buyer for the William Taylor & Sons Company of Cleveland.
Thomas J. Carlin was an honor graduate of St. John's parochial school, and in 1876, at the age of thirteen, began an apprenticeship in the mechanical department of the New York Central Railway. To fit him for further promotion he also attended a drafting school two years and took up the study of mechanical engineering, receiving high marks in all his engineering courses. Mr. Carlin followed the machinist's trade until 1892. In that year, during the administration of Mayor Rose, he became a member of the police department, and was identified with that branch of the city government twelve years. Six years of this time he was on detailed special work.
On leaving the police department in 1904 Mr. Carlin became a trav- eling salesman for a paint and varnish house. While still with that house in 1917 he made a record in competition with 131 other salesmen of the company, giving him the first prize offered by the company, seventy- five dollars. In the contest he led his nearest competitor by thirty-three points. Mr. Carlin is now associated with the Standard Paint & Lead Works of Cleveland. He is a stockholder in several banks and saving and loan companies.
Mr. Carlin enjoys a large friendship and membership in some of the leading clubs of the city. He is a director of the Tippecanoe Club, has been a delegate to the League of Republican Clubs, has served as director and vice president of the Western Reserve Club, and is a member of St. John's Cathedral Parish. Over a long period of years he has devoted much of his leisure to the study of good literature, and is thor- oughly well informed on current events. While a republican, he has never consented to be a candidate for office of any kind.
HENRY ANDREW HERKNER, M. D., was a child of three years at the time when the family home was established in Cleveland, here he was reared to manhood, here he received his early education, and here he has worked out his own career and gained place as one of the repre- sentative physicians and surgeons of the Ohio metropolis. The last clause of the foregoing statement has special significance, in view of the fact that the doctor became virtually dependent upon his own resources when he was a lad of but fourteen years. His energy and resourceful- ness were on a parity with his ambition, and he permitted nothing to turn him aside from that worthy ambition which was to fit himself for the profession in which he is now giving good account of himself.
Doctor Herkner was born in Hessen, Germany, on the 18th of April, 1879, and is a son of George and Martha (Schlichter) Herkner, both likewise natives of Hessen, where the former was born in 1845 and the latter in 1846, the year 1881 having marked the coming of the family to the United States and the first two years having been passed in New York City. George Herkner, a skilled machinist, then came with his
292
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
family to Cleveland, and here he and his wife still maintain their home, he being now retired from active business.
In the public schools of Cleveland Doctor Herkner gained his early education, his high school course having here been taken in Central Institute. He has provided for his own maintenance since he was four- teen years. of age, and defrayed the expenses incidental to his more advanced academic education as well as for his course in medical col- lege. Finally he so guided his affairs as to be able to enter the Cleve- land College of Physicians and Surgeons, and in this excellent institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1906. After receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine he was for sixteen months an interne in St. Vincent's Charity Hospital, where he gained most varied and valuable clinical experience. Since 1907 he has been established in general practice in the Seventy-ninth Street and St. Clair Avenue district of Cleveland, with offices at 928 East Seventy-fifth Street. The doctor, through his fine professional stewardship and personal popularity, has built up a large practice, and he gives special attention to X-ray work, his well-equipped laboratory for this service being of much value to him in his own practice, besides affording facilities for other physicians and surgeons who have requirement for its services. Doctor Herkner is a member of the staff of Glenville Hospital and also of that of the Florence Crittenden Home. He has active membership in the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. In the World war period he gave effective service in the examining of recruited men, as an assistant to Dr. J. E. Tucker, exec- utive head of the local board of medical examiners in this branch of war service.
Doctor Herkner wedded Miss Martha Behnke, who was born and reared in Cleveland, and who is a daughter of Carl and Regina Behnke. Doctor and Mrs. Herkner have two children: Edith Alice, who was born February 21, 1908, and Henry Andrew, Jr., who was born June 10, 1913.
GEORGE BAIRD JOHNSON, one of the 'vice presidents of the Guardian Savings & Trust Company, established the bond department of that Cleveland institution and has managed it from the beginning.
Mr. Johnson was born at Erie, Pennsylvania, January 10, 1877, son of James C. and Susan Campbell (Baird) Johnson. His father was also a native of Erie, Pennsylvania, while his mother was born at Washington, in Washington County, that state. George B. Johnson was reared in the cities of Erie and Pittsburgh and completed his preparatory education at the Park Institute in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. He has made a successful business career without the aid of a college education.
For five years Mr. Johnson was in the fire insurance business at Erie, and for another period of five years represented the New York Life Insurance Company in the cities of Erie, Toledo, Saginaw and Cleveland.
Mr. Johnson entered the bond business about nineteen years ago. At first he was a salesman for the firm of W. J. Hayes & Son of Cleveland, and later represented the international banking house of William Salomon & Company, with headquarters in Cleveland. He opened the bond depart- ment of the Guardian Saving & Trust Company in 1915. His title then
293
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
was manager of the bond department, and he has been at the head of this department ever since. In 1920 he received the additional title of vice- -
president.
Mr. Johnson is a republican, and is a member of the Union Club, Canterbury Golf Club, Bankers Club and the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce. He and his family are members of St. Paul's Episcopal Church at East Cleveland.
He married at East Cleveland, February 10, 1906, Miss Edith Ketchum, daughter of James D. and Mary (Morgan) Ketchum. They have three children : Baird Johnson, Harriet Ely Johnson and Elizabeth Johnson.
RALPH HECKER. The Hecker family has been identified with Cuya- hoga County for over ninety years. A well-known representative in the present generation is Mr. Ralph Hecker, who was born at the old home- stead on what is now Addison Road in Cleveland.
Peter Hecker, his father, was born in Alsace-Lorraine in 1811, of French ancestry. His father accompanied his two sons and one daughter to America in 1832, spending the rest of his days in Cleveland. The Hecker family came to America in a sailing vessel, whose destination was New Orleans, but adverse winds drove the ship from its course and after several weeks it landed in New York. The Heckers came on west by the Hudson River and the Erie Canal to Buffalo, and thence by ox team transportation to Cleveland. Cleveland was then a very small city, and nearly all the surrounding country was covered with heavy forests. Peter Hecker acquired thirty acres of land, facing on what is now Addison Road and Wade Park Avenue. Its improvements included a log house and a small clearing and the planting of some apple trees. Peter Hecker at once began to clear up the rest of the land, and in a few years was a prosperous truck gardener, finding a ready market for his produce in the city. He made a famous brand of sauer kraut, which he shipped to other lake ports. He and his wife were both associated in marketing the produce. With the extension of the city his farm was platted and about half of it sold for lots. The old family home of round logs was replaced by a substantial hewn log house and this in time by a commodious frame house. The ground surrounding the house was well cared for and presented an attractive appearance. Peter Hecker was a man of abstemious habits, never intemperate in any sense, and a man of fine influence and character. He died in January, 1899.
Peter Hecker married Caroline Cross, a native of Germany, who came to America with her parents, the family joining Cleveland as pioneers. She died in 1908, and her children were Peter J., Louise, Charles, Julia, Sarah, Edna and Ralph.
Ralph Hecker was educated in the public schools on Addison Road. He married in 1905 Sarah B. Baird, daughter of John and Catherine (Montgomery) Baird. They have two children, Waldo B. and Louise Isabelle.
OTTO M. SCHADE, who served with the rank of major in the Spanish- American war, and for many years was actively indentified with the famous Cleveland Grays, is a member of a well known family of Cuyahoga County. His father, Carl Schade, was born in Dresden, Germany, and came to
294
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
America in 1860. He was a tailor by trade,and in Cleveland did a prosperous business as a merchant tailor on Woodland Avenue. He finally retired, and died at the age of seventy-two years. He married Henrietta Folgrabe, who was born in Germany, and died at the age of eighty-eight years. Their children were Charles A., Laura C. and Otto M.
Otto M. Schade was one year old when brought to America. He received his early education in the Mayflower School in Cleveland, attended the Spencerian Business College, and for a number of years was engaged in the crockery and glassware business. In April, 1898, he entered the federal service as a major of the Tenth Ohio Volunteers, receiving his honorable discharge in 1899.
Major Schade married in 1893 Mary C. Roth, who was born in Cleve- land, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Roth, who came from Germany.
BROTHERHOOD OF LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEERS. CO-OPERATIVE NATIONAL BANK OF CLEVELAND. While organized labor for some years has been engaged in cooperative buying, manufacturing and other lines of ordinary commerce, no one enterprise in America has attracted so much attention as the establishment of the first Cooperative National Bank, promoted and organized by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
Such a bank was authorized by a resolution passed in the 1915 con- vention of the locomotive engineers, but due to the unsettled conditions of the World war no action was taken until October, 1919, beyond gathering necessary information and laying tentative plans. A federal charter was secured, property purchased at the corner of St. Clair and Ontario streets in Cleveland, and after the building was properly equipped the bank was opened to the public November 1, 1920. Starting with resources of approximately $650,000, these resources have grown at the rate of $750,000 a month, passing the twenty three million dollar mark on June 1, 1923.
As a national bank this differs from other banks under a federal charter in the fact that it is cooperative. The engineer stockholders are limited in any year to not more than ten per cent dividend on the stock. This bank paid its stockholders six per cent in 1921 and eight per cent in 1922, establishing another record which no national bank has made. The stock is sold only to members of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers in good standing. It was oversubscribed some $378,000 before the bank opened, and many engineers are today on the waiting list to obtain stock when there is opportunity.
The unprecedented growth of the bank is due to the great organization behind it, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, which in sixty years has handled its financial affairs without a single failure. The growth of the bank was such as to warrant seeking a location in the central district of Cleveland. The committee in September, 1922, purchased the fourteen story office building at 308 Euclid Avenue. This has a thoroughly equipped banking room, and the first six floors are offices and workrooms for use in connection with the bank. A branch office was opened there October 2, 1922. At this writing plans are drawn for a twenty-one story building to occupy the entire half block originally purchased by the Brotherhood at the corner of St. Clair and Ontario streets. The plans provide for one of the finest banking rooms to be found any where in the United States.
295
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
The Engineers also purchased controlling interest in the Nottingham State Bank at 187th and St. Clair, have a large interest in the Empire Trust Company of New York City, and contemplate opening two or three co- operative banks in New York City. They have a controlling interest in the Transportation Brotherhood's National Bank of Minneapolis, the Federated Trust Company of Birmingham, Alabama, and the Hammond Indiana State Bank.
The Brotherhood Investment Company, recently capitalized at ten million dollars, deals in all safe securities to be sold to members of the Brotherhood and to other union men. It buys issues of government, state, municipal and other bonds and resells to the public. The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers as an organization holds fifty-one per cent of the stock of this company, as is also true of the bank.
JAMES THOMAS NOLAN, deputy county treasurer of Cuyahoga County, a well known and popular public official, has spent most of his life in Cleveland. He was one of the pioneer newspaper illustrators in Cleveland, and won many unusual honors as an artist before he retired from that profession.
He was born in Cleveland, April 6, 1878, son of the late James and Margaret (Ferguson) Nolan. His father was born in 1833 in County Monaghan, Ireland, son of Patrick Nolan, who spent all his life in Ireland. Patrick was a descendant of the old O. Nolans of that country. James Nolan as a young man came to the United States, and in Cleveland joined his brother John, who had preceded him several years. Subsequently they sent for their two sisters, one of whom died shortly after reaching Cleve- land. The other sister then took charge of the household of the two brothers who went to live in a double log house on Chestnut Street, opposite what is now Dodge Court. This was the first house built on Chestnut Street, in a locality that is now in the heart of the downtown district of Cleveland. James Nolan was for many years a vegetable gardener, growing vegetables not only in the summer but also under glass in the winter seasons. He died in 1910. His wife, Margaret Ferguson, who died in 1908, was born in County Fermanagh, Ireland, in 1843, daughter of Thomas Ferguson, who brought his family to America, first settling in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada, moving from there to Lockport, New York, in 1861, and later establishing a home in Cleveland.
James Thomas Nolan as a youth attended the old St. Clair public school. He is a graduate of the Cleveland School of Art. As a boy he showed unusual skill in drawing, and subsequently found favor and employment as an illustrator with newspapers, being one of the first men regularly employed for that work in Cleveland. This was before the days of the modern art of half tone reproduction of photographs, the common method of illustrating newspapers. The newspaper artists of that time when commissioned to illustrate any scene or event went out and with pen and ink made drawings on the spot. . Mr. Nolan has the distinction of having been the first artist on the staff of the Plain Dealer, and subsequently drew cartoons of the old world. He gave up newspaper work to accept service in another branch of his art. The Western Reserve University Medical School employed him as its medical artist, a position he held for sixteen years, and during that time he was himself a student of anatomy and sur-
296
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
gery as an aid to his artistic work. On leaving Western Reserve Medical School he accepted a similar position at Magill University at Montreal, Canada. During the two years he spent at that famous school he came in contact with a number of the celebrated surgeons of America. He did work for Dr. George J. Adama, the great pathologist, and for Professor Frederick Osler, and positions were offered him by such men as the Doctors Mayo of Minnesota, Dr. Hunter Robb and Doctor Murphy of Chicago.
Mr. Nolan finally gave up his art work to engage in the real estate business at Cleveland. In September, 1922, he accepted appointment as deputy in the office of County Treasurer Ralph C. McBride, in whose favor he had withdrawn from the primaries of that year. Mr. Nolan is a member of the Tippecanoe Club and the Eighth Ward Republican Club, the Wampanoag Indians, the Moose and the Eagles. He married Miss Sade V. Kane, a native of Cleveland and daughter of Patrick and Sarah ( Master- son) Kane.
AUGUSTINE RUSSELL TREADWAY was one of that generation of enter- prising men who developed Cleveland as a great center of commerce and industry. His name was particularly associated with the hardware business, though he had numerous connections with the steel and iron trade and other lines.
He was of old Connecticut Colonial stock, his ancestry on both sides having settled in that portion of New England long before the Revolution. He was born in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1836, son of Russell and Mary (Willcox) Treadway. He was educated in the public schools of New Haven, attended the Episcopal Academy at Cheshire, Connecticut, for three years, and soon after leaving school went to work in the employ of an uncle, Lyman Treadway, who conducted a stove and furnace business in New Haven. Later he was in a hardware store at Hartford, and continued his development in the hardware business as clerk in a wholesale house at Philadelphia. In 1857 he established a business of his own, handling stoves and furnaces at New Haven, later forming a partnership with his uncle under the name of L. & A. R. Treadway, which continued until the former's death, after the removal to Cleveland. During this time also he was a partner in the boot and shoe business under the name of Foote, Stevens and Treadway, and later he was treasurer and manager of the Aetna Nut Company in Southington, Connecticut.
In the early seventies he was captain of the New Haven Blues, infantry.
Mr. Treadway came to Cleveland in 1879 and organized a partnership under the name of Willcox, Treadway & Company to manufacture general hardware and tools. In 1882 this firm was one of a number of concerns engaged in similar lines of production that consolidated under the name of Peck, Stow & Willcox Company, with general headquarters in South- ington, Connecticut, with manufacturing plants in Cleveland and in South- ington, Berlin, Plantsville, Cheshire and Birmingham, Connecticut, and a store in New York City for the export trade. Mr. Treadway later became vice president of the corporation, and in 1895 its president, serving in that capacity until 1911, when he resigned, a few months before his death, and was succeeded by his son, the late Lyman H. Treadway.
Mr. Treadway at the time of his death was a director of the Union Rolling Mill Company, the State Banking & Trust Company, the Cleveland
297
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
National Bank and the Union Savings & Loan Company, all of Cleveland. Both his private and public spirited enterprise in business contributed to making Cleveland a center of iron and steel manufacture, and he was intimately associated with such pioneers of the iron industry as S. A. Fuller, I. P. Lamson, A. S. Upsom and S. W. Sessions. He had served as a director of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, and was associated with many purely civic movements.
Augustine Russell Treadway died at his Cleveland home October 16, 1911, at the age of seventy-five. He married in 1859 Sarah E. Hambright of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, who was mother of Lyman H. Treadway, deceased. She died early in 1865. October 3, 1866, he married Mary L. Mansfield, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Bradley) Mansfield, of an old New England family, descended from Richard Mansfield, who settled in Connecticut in 1636. Mrs. Treadway survived her husband ten years, passing away September 29, 1921. She was the mother of two sons and one daughter: Francis Willcox; Charles Frederick, now residing in New Haven ; and Mary Elizabeth, wife of James Mathers.
WILLIAM OTTO ZIEMER, M. D. A graduate in medicine from Western Reserve University, with also an extended training in hospital work, Doctor Ziemer has been steadily engaged in a growing private practice as a physician and surgeon of the South Side for seventeen years.
Doctor Ziemer was born in Brooklyn Village, now a part of the City of Cleveland, April 19, 1882, son of Robert and Ottilie (Strandt) Ziemer. Both his parents were born in Germany, his father in 1851 and his mother in 1852. They were married in the old country, but soon after- ward they came to the United States and located at Brooklyn Village. Robert Ziemer, while in Germany, completed an apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade. He worked as a journeyman for several years in Cleveland, and then opened a shop of his own on the South Side. He was one of the active men in that section of the city until his death in August, 1918. His widow survives him. Both became members many years ago of the Reformed Church at Woodbridge and West Thirty-second Street.
William Otto Ziemer acquired his early education in the Sackett Public School, for two years was a student in Adelbert College of Western Reserve University, and was graduated from the Western Reserve Uni- versity School of Medicine in 1904. His further training before taking up private practice was acquired in Lakeside Hospital, where he served a year and one-half as an interne, and for a time he was an interne in the Cleveland City Hospital. Doctor Ziemer opened his first private office in 1906 at the family home at 2716 Woodbridge Street. Later he had an office at the corner of Trowbridge and West Twenty-fifth streets and since 1916 has been located at 3459 West Twenty-fifth Street.
Doctor Ziemer is a member of the various medical societies and was on one of the examining boards during the World war. He is affiliated with Concordia Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, Hillman Chapter, Royal Arch Mason, Riverside Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and the Woodmen of the World.
He married Miss Anna B. Cleves. She was born in Cleveland, daughter of William H. Cleves. They have one daughter, Ethel Gertrude, born in 1908.
298
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
FRANCIS WILLCOX TREADWAY. As a practicing attorney of the Cleve- land bar for over thirty years, formerly lieutenant governor of Ohio, and for years closely associated with the most prominent leaders of the republican party in the state, Francis Willcox Treadway has been one of the outstanding citizens of Cleveland in his generation.
He was born in New Haven, Connecticut, January 7, 1869, son of the late Augustine Russell Treadway, whose career is given in the preceding sketch. He lived in New Haven until he was ten years of age, began his public school education there, and subsequently, in 1886, graduated from the Cleveland West High School. He then attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts, where he received the Bachelor of Science degree in 1890, and of which institution he was elected trustee in 1924. This was followed by two years in the Yale Law School, where he received his Bachelor of Laws degree in 1892, winning the Munson prize for the best thesis on graduation. Returning to Ohio, he was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of Columbus in October, 1892, and stood first in the class then admitted. Mr. Treadway began the practice of law at Cleveland in 1892, associated with the law firm of Williamson & Cushing, but eight months later he and William H. Mar- latt formed the firm of Treadway & Marlatt. This firm has been in continuous existence for thirty-two years, and is the oldest legal part- nership in the city, without change in that period.
While most of his time has been taken up with the practice of his law firm, Mr. Treadway has many services of a public nature to his credit. He was appointed United States commissioner of Cleveland in 1902, but resigned in 1903 when elected a member of the House of Representatives of Ohio. In the Seventy-sixth General Assembly he made the nominating speech for Marcus A. Hanna, who that year was republican candidate before the Ohio Legislature for election to the United States Senate. He was leader of the fight in the House for what is known as the Cleveland School Bill, a measure providing for the organization of small school boards throughout the state, and for a business administration of the public schools. As first chairman of the House Committee on Banks and Banking, newly created that year, he was leader of the reform movement for the examination of state banks and the creation of a state banking department. His proposed measure was defeated at that session, but in the Seventy-seventh General Assembly, as counsel for the Ohio Bankers Association, Mr. Treadway was largely instrumental in securing the enactment of a similar measure, known as the Thomas Act, which created a state banking department and required regular inspection and examination of state banks. In 1918 he was retained to revise and codify the bank laws of the state, which was done and the same enacted into law in 1919, known as the Graham Banking Act.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.