USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > A history of Cuyahoga County and the City of Cleveland, (Vol. 3) > Part 7
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42
Walter W. Witthuhn, son of Frederick C., was born at Glenville, a suburb now included in Cleveland, on May 7, 1890. He was educated in the Dennison Public School, and as a boy entered his father's establish- ment and by a practical apprenticeship mastered every branch of the floral business. He is now assistant manager of the Witthuhn Floral Company. He is also one of the very popular young business men of the South Side, and is active in the commercial, social and fraternal affairs of this section of the city. Fraternally he is a member of Brooklyn Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, Hillman Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, Forest City Commandery, Knights Templar, Cleveland Consistory of the Scottish Rite, Al Koran Temple of the Mystic Shrine, Al Sirat Grotto and the
C. Lo Graben M.Q
49
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
Eastern Star. He also belongs to the Riverside Lodge Knights of Pythias, and is a member of the Cleveland Florists Club, the Society of American Florists and the Lakewood Country Club.
C. LEE GRABER, Ph. G., B. S., M. D., F. A. C. S. One of a group of physicians and surgeons of "Greater Cleveland" district who have won distinction alike for the community, the profession and themselves, is Doctor Graber, who has been leader in the professional, civic and social life of Lakewood for twenty years.
Doctor Graber is a native of Ohio, and is of the third generation in the state of two early families, his parents, Christian and Mary Ann (Bueche) Graber, having been born in Mount Eaton, Wayne County, the father on February 12, 1849, the mother on September 30, 1852. His paternal grandfather, Frederick Graber, was a native of Canton Berne, Switzerland, while his grandmother, Anna (Tschantz) Graber, was a native of Wayne County, Ohio, the former born on May 6, 1825, the latter on January 3, 1825. His maternal grandparents, Emanuel and Emelie (Rudolf) Bueche, were natives of Canton Berne, Switzerland, born on May 7, 1822, and January 20, 1813, respectively.
His father having been a farmer, Doctor Graber spent his youth on the farm, and attended the local schools and the Navare, Ohio High School. Passing the required examination and receiving a teacher's license, he taught school from 1889 to 1894, and then gave up teaching to enter Ohio Northern University, where he was graduated in Pharmacy in 1895 and Bachelor of Science in 1896, he having been president of the junior class of '95.
Leaving Ohio Northern University, Doctor Graber entered the Uni- versity of Cincinnati, where he was graduated Doctor of Medicine with the class of 1898, being president of his class.
He entered the practice of medicine in Mount Eaton, Ohio in 1898, and continued in that little city for six years and then, he having acquired experience, skill and confidence in himself and the future, he decided to seek a broader field of activity and in 1904, he came to Lakewood, which at that time was by no means the thriving city of to-day, and of which community he justly can claim the distinction of being a "pioneer physician."
In Lakewood Doctor Graber continued in general practice until the passing years brought him such prestige in surgery that it became expedient that he gradually gave up a considerable part of his general work and limited his practice to that of general surgery ; and to-day he is recognized by the public and profession as a surgeon, and as one of unusual skill with but few superiors in Northern Ohio, which section is known as the home of manv noted surgeons.
Doctor Graber has by no means confined his energies alone to his pro- fession, but on the other hand, he has given freely of his time and ex- perience to the promotion of the welfare and progress of Lakewood along the lines of health, community interest and business affairs, and it is gener- ally conceded that the city is the gainer by his unselfish efforts in those directions. For ten years he served as a member of the Lakewood Board of Health. And in order that that city should have adequate hospital facilities of its own, he founded, in 1907, Lakewood Hospital which, occupy-
Vol. III-4
50
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
ing its own handsome home, holds rank among other hospitals of the state, and of which Doctor Graber is chief of staff and head of the surgical section.
Doctor Graber is the originator of the plan of a cooperation of physi- cians and dentists (not in a corporation or partnership) whereby the public could receive more prompt and satisfactory service and physicians and dentists would be relieved in a great measure of burdensome routine ; and in order that his ideas might bear fruit and confer a benefit upon both patients and practitioners, he erected "The Medical Building," a modern brick block for the purpose in hand, which handsome edifice adorns a prominent corner on Detroit Avenue, and is now the professional quarters of many of the leading members of the two professions of the city.
Doctor Graber is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, Cleveland Clinical Club, Ohio State Medical Association, the American Medical Association, the Roentgenological Society of North America, and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is a member of Lake- wood Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ; Cunningham Chapter, Royal Arch Masons ; Holy Grail Commandery, Knights Templar, and Al Koran Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of Lakewood and Cleveland Chambers of Commerce, of Westwood Country Club, and a trustee of Lakewood Methodist Episcopal Church.
In business affairs, he was for ten years a member of the board of directors of Lakewood State Bank and for eleven years a member of the board of the Colonial Savings & Loan Bank, and helped organize both institutions.
Doctor Graber is deeply interested in all phases of his profession- chemistry, pathology and surgery-to which he has given the best years of his life, and in which he has achieved ample success and has won a place of honor. He is regarded by both the profession and the public as the "true physician," one ready at all times to give of his best to both the patient and the profession, never neglecting the former nor forgetting the ethics of the latter ; and, above all, the friend, adviser and guide, and always the courteous gentleman to all. His circle of friends is almost equal to his circle of acquaintances.
Doctor Graber married Miss Belle Taylor, who was born in Michigan, the daughter of James and Mary Taylor. Her family came over from Scotland in early days, settling first in Canada, thence crossing into Michigan.
HARRY SHELDON GILDARD, Doctor of Anatomical Science, has been successfully established in his profession in Cleveland for several years. He is a very thorough man, has had a wide range of experience, and is one of the leaders of his profession.
He was born at Mantua, Ohio, March 6, 1876, son of Henry Beaumont and Addie (Skiff) Gildard. His father was born at Leeds, Yorkshire, England, February 15, 1838. A year later his parents came to the United States and located at Bridgeport, Connecticut. Henry B. Gildard left home at the age of eleven, and arrived in Ohio in 1855. In that year he began a four years' apprenticeship at the wagon and carriage maker's trade at Kinsman, Ohio, in Trumbull County. As a journeyman he followed his
51
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
trade in different villages of that county, including Cortland. At Cortland, August 31, 1862, he enlisted in Company B of the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio Infantry, and served as a quartermaster's sergeant for three years. He was honorably discharged and mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, September 9, 1865. In 1878 he located at Solon, Ohio, and lived in that village until his death on July 4, 1920. December 25, 1860, Henry G. Gildard married Rozelia A. Risley. She died at Cortland, Ohio, October 3, 1870. On March 1, 1873, he married Addie M. Skiff, daughter of Sabin Skiff, of Hiram, Ohio. She is still living and has two sons, Doctor Gildard and Harlow E. The latter, a resident of Solon, is in the employ of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad Company.
Harry Sheldon Gildard was educated in the public schools of Solon, and after his early education followed commercial lines of work for some years. In 1914 he entered the National College of Chiropractic at Chicago, graduated February 14, 1916, and also did post-graduate work in eye, nose and throat at Cleveland. He is also a graduate of the original College of Chiropractic at Fort Wayne, Indiana, and the College of Anatomical Science, Cleveland, Ohio. Doctor Gildard's offices are at 3744 West Twenty-fifth Street. Fraternally he is affiliated with Dennison Lodge, No. 640, Free and Accepted Masons; with Lakewood Lodge, No. 729, Knights of Pythias ; with the Royal Arcanum, Sons of Veterans and with the Lakewood Baptist Church.
Doctor Gildard married Carrie R. Brayton, of Jerome, Michigan, daughter of Edward Brayton, and they have two daughters, Margaret and Eleanore.
FRANCIS S. INGERSOLL, a leading merchant of Rocky River village, has devoted forty years of his life to the mercantile business in Northern Ohio, and is regarded as one of the men of high standing both in the business and civic affairs of Cuyahoga County.
He was born at Brunswick, in Medina County, Ohio, May 27, 1863, and represents a pioneer family in the old Western Reserve. His ancestry runs back many generations in New England history, he being a descendant of Calvin Ingersoll, a New Englander, who came to the Western Reserve in pioneer days and settled at Mentor, in Lake County. Calvin Ingersoll had a family of eight sons and three daughters, all of whom reached mature years. One of his sons, Philo Ingersoll, was born at Lee, Massa- chusetts, was reared in Lake County, Ohio, and died at the early age of thirty-three. He married Eunice Deming, who was born in Massachus- etts, daughter of John Deming, whose ancestors came from England with the colony of John Winthrop, Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony. Philo Ingersoll at his death left four small sons.
One of them was Henry Deming Ingersoll, father of Francis S., and who was born at Kirtland, in Lake County, Ohio, in 1816, and was twelve years of age when his widowed mother moved to Brunswick, Medina County, where he spent the rest of his active life as a farmer. He died in October, 1903, at the age of eighty-seven. By his first marriage he had six children, of whom William H. and Sydney are now living. His second wife, and the mother of Francis S., was Georgiana Graham, who was born at Brattleboro, Vermont, in 1828, daughter of Luke and Elizabeth
52
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
(Saunders) Graham, her father a Scotchman and her mother a descendant of Holland-Dutch. Luke Graham came West in the early '30s, settling near Kalamazoo, Michigan, subsequently removing to Medina County, Ohio, where he died. Georgiana Graham Ingersoll died in 1891, at the age of sixty-three. She was the mother of three children: Harry, who died when seven years old ; Francis S .; and Mary, a resident of Brunswick, Ohio.
Francis S. Ingersoll grew up in Medina County. He attended the dis- trict schools and was graduated from the commercial department of Ohio Northern University at Ada in his twenty-first year. For six years he was a clerk in a general store at Hinckley, in Medina County. With this experience and with a modest capital he formed a partnership with George B. Aylard, and under the firm name of Aylard & Ingersoll conducted a gen- eral merchandise business at Brunswick. In 1894 Mr. Ingersoll left Hinck- ley and established himself at Madison, Ohio, where he was a hardware merchant and also manufactured carriage and later automobile wheels. In 1908 he engaged in business at Rocky River, and now is the proprietor of a large and prosperous establishment, handling general hardware; imple- ments, tools, spraying machinery, seeds, fertilizer and other supplies.
Besides conducting a large store every business day in the year he has always found time to assist in all civic movements, especially those designed for the betterment of Lakewood and Rocky River. He is a republican in politics, but has never sought public office. His son Charles M. was elected a member of the Rocky River Village Council in 1923. Mr. Inger- soll is a member of the Cleveland Yacht Club.
He married at Hinckley, Ohio, May 23, 1894, Miss Elizabeth McKie, who was born in that village, the daughter of Alexander and Lucy Ann (Waldo) McKie. The three children of Mr. and Mrs. Ingersoll are: Charles M., associated with his father in business, who married Ethel Sayres ; Georgia T .; and Helen E., wife of Carroll E. Fitzgibbons.
WILLIAM LEWIS HOBART, physician and surgeon, of Lakewood, was born at Middleport, Meigs County, Ohio, on April 29, 1894, the son of William J. and Julia E. (Wells) Hobart, both natives of Ohio, the father born near Tupper's Plains, Meigs County, the mother in Wilkesville, Vinton County.
Doctor Hobart is a lineal descendant of Peter Hobart, who came over from Hingham, England, in the Mayflower and settled in Hingham, Massachusetts, where he became distinguished in Colonial history as an Episcopal minister and as a leader among the colonists. It is claimed that this Peter Hobart was the direct forefather of all the Hobarts who are now residents of the United States; and it is a fact that this branch of the family is the only one entitled by birth to the name Hobart, all others having received the name from an act of the New York Legislature.
William J. Hobart was for many years a traveling salesman, but finally engaged in merchandising on his own account at Middleport, continuing for twenty years, and was thus engaged at the time of his death in January, 1919. His widow, now in her seventy-second year, is the daughter of the late Lyman Wells.
Doctor Hobart was graduated from the Middleport High School in
Chas L. Salgan
53
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
1913. He spent one year in the pre-Medical School of the Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia, and followed that with the full four-years' course at that instiution, graduating with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1919. During his senior year he was resident physician at the Chil- dren's Homeopathic Hospital, Philadelphia, and following his graduation he served for one year as interne at the Pittsburgh General Homeopathic Hospital.
In 1918, with twenty-five other students of the Hahnemann Medical College, Doctor Hobart volunteered in the Naval Medical Corps of the United States, was ordered to League Island Navy Yard, and there enlisted as first-class hospital apprentice, and was stationed at the First Regiment Army Barracks in Philadelphia. He was not called into active service, but remained on duty at the barracks until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged and mustered out of the service. During his stay in the barracks he continued his medical studies in Hahnemann Medical College.
In 1920 Doctor Hobart entered the general practice of medicine and surgery in Lakewood, with offices at the corner of Detroit and Bell avenues, where he continues. He is a member of the staff of Grace Hospital, and a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, the Northeastern Ohio Medical Society and of Pi Epsilon Rho Fraternity.
JUDGE CHARLES L. SELZER, judge of the Municipal Court of Cleve- land, has been a busy professional man in the city for over thirty-five years. He entered politics even before he was admitted to the bar, and had much to do with the affairs of the Village of Brooklyn before it was incor- porated into the city.
Judge Selzer was born in Cleveland, October 6, 1859, son of Jacob D. and Elizabeth (Wirth) Selzer. Jacob D. Selzer, one of the early Ger- man citizens of Cleveland, was born at Franzheim, Bavaria, May 4, 1836, son of Jacob and Mary (Damien) Selzer. Jacob D. Selzer came to the United States and to Cleveland in 1854. His older brother, Daniel, was the first representative of the family in this city. Jacob D. Selzer clerked in a store, became a traveling salesman, and followed that business for about twenty years. In 1867 he bought property in Brooklyn village, and in 1886 engaged in the greenhouse business. That was his principal busi- ness activity for a long period of years. He was deputy state treasurer in 1878-79, served as bookkeeper in the National House of Representatives at Washington from 1893 to 1897, and for several years was cashier of the United States internal revenue office at Cleveland. Jacob D. Selzer, who died January 23, 1916, was a substantial citizen in every respect, successful in business, a man of influence in public affairs, and was an intimate friend of many prominent men, including August Thieme, founder of the news- paper, The Waechter and Erie, now the Cleveland Waechter and Anzeiger, and also of Governor Jacob Mueller and William J. Gordon.
Elizabeth Wirth, mother of Judge Selzer, was married to Jacob D. Selzer in 1859. She died in 1865, leaving two sons, Charles L. and Rob- ert E. Robert was drowned while serving on board the U. S. S. Corwin in San Francisco Bay in April, 1882. The second wife of Jacob D. Selzer
54
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
was Mary Louise Wirth, a sister of his first wife. She was the mother of one son, George H., born in 1867.
Judge Charles L. Selzer was reared in a good home, and encouraged in habits of independence and thrift. He was educated in the graded and in the West High schools, and following school became a drug clerk. A few years later he entered the law office of the late John W. Heisley, read law and also attended the Cleveland Law School, and as a means of earn- ing a living at the same time he and H. M. Farnsworth founded the Cuyahogan, a weekly newspaper published at Brooklyn village. June 3, 1886, Mr. Selzer was admitted to the bar, and subsequently was admitted to practice in the District and the Circuit courts of the United States. His law practice began in partnership with Echo M. Heisley, son of his preceptor, under the firm name of Heisley and Selzer. The firm con- tinued nearly twenty years, until the death of Mr. Heisley in 1904. From 1913 to 1918 Judge Selzer was senior member of the law firm Selzer & Selzer, his junior partner being his son, Robert J., continuing until his elevation to the bench.
The first public office held by Judge Selzer was that of clerk of Brook- lyn village in 1882. He was elected in 1884 township clerk, reelected in 1888, was chosen mayor of the village in 1890 and again in 1892, and in 1901 the Cleveland City Council made him a member of the Board of Equalization and Revision of Real Estate for Cleveland. In the same year he was elected on the democratic ticket to the House of Representatives, and in January, 1905, the city council elected him to the vacancy in the council for the Sixth Ward. He was chosen by popular election in 1907. When the Municipal Court of Cleveland was established, January 1, 1912, Judge Selzer was made bailiff of the civil branch of the court, his duties corresponding to those of sheriff in the Common Pleas Court. He was bailiff six years, and on February 1, 1918, Governor Cox appointed him a judge on the municipal bench. In November, 1919, he was elected for an unexpired term of two years, and in 1921 was reelected for a full term of six years as municipal judge.
Judge Selzer is a member of the Cleveland and Ohio Bar associations, belongs to the chamber of commerce, is a past president of the Sycamore Club, and a member of the Third Church of Christ, Scientist. He is past master of Brooklyn Lodge No. 454, Free and Accepted Masons ; a mem- ber of Webb Chapter No. 14, Royal Arch Masons; Woodward Council No. 118, Royal and Select Masters ; Oriental Commandery No. 12, Knights Templar; Lake Erie Consistory of the Scottish Rite; Al Koran Temple of the Mystic Shrine; Al Sirat Grotto No. 7, Mystic Order of Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm, and was president of the Past Masters' Association for the Twenty-second District of Ohio during the year 1923, and is president of the Charles H. Eichorn Association of 1920 Scottish Rite. He is also a charter member and past chancellor commander of Riverside Lodge No. 209, Knights of Pythias. He is president of the South Brooklyn Building & Loan Company, a director of the Brooklyn Coal & Coke Company, a director of Brooklyn Masonic Temple Company, a director of the Citizens Society & Loan Association, and secretary of the house committee of the Euclid Avenue Masonic Temple.
Soon after his admission to the bar Judge Selzer, on November 18,
55
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
1886, married Miss Ida M. While, daughter of Joseph While, of Cleve- land. She died July 18, 1921. There are two sons, Robert J., attorney, and Frank C., engaged in the automobile business.
CARL SCHMITT, retired business man and one of the well known citizens of the South Side, came to Cleveland nearly half a century ago, and has in many ways been prominently identified with the civic affairs of the old village of Brooklyn, now included in the City of Cleveland.
Mr. Schmitt was born in Ludwieshafen, on the River Rhine, Bavaria, Germany, September 18, 1854, son of Andrew and Elizabeth Schmitt, also Bavarians. His father at the time of his death in 1866 was postmaster of Landau, and had been in the government service for many years. During the German revolution of 1848 he remained loyal to the government, took good care of the postoffice, and for his services was awarded a gold medal by the King of Bavaria. Pensions were also granted to his widow and six sons and two daughters.
In the fall of 1869, Mrs. Andrew Schmitt and her children came to America. Before leaving she deposited with the Bavarian authorities her husband's gold medal as a pledge for her return at some time to the old home. This pledge secured a continuation of the pensions for her and her children until the latter became of legal age and until her death. The family came direct to Columbus, Ohio, where relatives were living, but later came to Cleveland.
Two days after the family reached Columbus Carl Schmitt, only fifteen, made arrangements to work in a drug store. From that stage until his retirement after a successful business career he was never without employ- ment, and always in connection with the drug business. When, in the fall of 1875, Mr. Schmitt came to Cleveland, it was for the purpose of taking a position for which he had previously arranged. In the fall of 1876 he took charge as clerk of a drug store in Brooklyn village. A year later he made arrangements to purchase the business on credit. This store was located at Forestdale and West Twenty-fifth streets. Subsequently he bought ground at the corner of Garden and West Twenty-fifth, erecting a store and flat building combined, and at that location developed a hand- some business. Recently this property was sold to the Brooklyn Masonic Temple Company, and upon that ground and some adjacent property the Masons will erect a Masonic Temple which will be an ornament and great improvement to the locality.
During both of President Cleveland's administrations Mr. Schmitt served as postmaster of Brooklyn village. He was also a member and for several years clerk and president and treasurer of the board of educa- tion, and was superintendent of the infirmary in the hospital during the last part of the term of Mayor Farley and the first part of Mayor Johnson's term. After forty years of active and successful business Mr. Schmitt retired, and now lives in comfort at his fine home at 3003 Archwood Avenue, surrounded with all the evidences of material prosperity and friendship and esteem. Mr. Schmitt was one of the organizers of the Cleveland Pharmaceutical Association, and served one term as vice pres- ident of the Ohio State Pharmaceutical Association.
His first wife was Ruby E. Lee, granddaughter of Judge William Lee,
56
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
of Cleveland. She died leaving two daughters and one son : Gertrude, who is the wife of Albert Winslow, of Cuyahoga County and the mother of two children, Sallie Lee and David. Laura Elizabeth, the second daugh- ter, is the wife of John R. Wilson, of Lakewood, and they have a son, Richard John. Roland Lee, the only son, is a graduate in agriculture of Ohio State University, is engaged in farming in Cuyahoga County, and is married and has one daughter, Laura Lee. Mr. Schmitt's second wife, Lena B. Loesch, daughter of Gottfried and Walbergel (Duffner) Loesch. Her people were pioneers of Newburg, now included in Cleveland. Gott- fried Loesch was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in 1820, came to the United States in 1843 and after five years in New York City settled at Newburg in 1848. He and his wife were married in 1853.
LINCOLN GRIFFITH DICKEY, manager of Cleveland's Auditorium, has been identified with publicity and public service work practically since he left college in 1908, and is now regarded as one of the leading men in his field of endeavor in the entire country. He is a native of Nebraska, and is descended from a family long prominent in the ministry and in educational work.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.