USA > Ohio > Cuyahoga County > Cleveland > A history of Cuyahoga County and the City of Cleveland, (Vol. 3) > Part 26
Note: The text from this book was generated using artificial intelligence so there may be some errors. The full pages can be found on Archive.org (link on the Part 1 page).
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32 | Part 33 | Part 34 | Part 35 | Part 36 | Part 37 | Part 38 | Part 39 | Part 40 | Part 41 | Part 42
Henry G. Reitz
193
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
States on a sailing vessel in 1842, and who landed in the Port of New York City, whence they came to Cuyahoga County. The grandfather purchased land in Rockport Township, developed a productive farm and continued farming during the remainder of his life, both he and his wife having died on the old homestead.
On the farm above mentioned the birth of John G. Reitz, father of Henry G., occurred in the year 1855, and there he was reared to man- hood, his educational advantages having been those of the schools of the locality and period. He continued his activities as a farmer in his native township until about the year 1912, when he retired from active farming. He served two terms as township trustee and two terms as a member of the village council of West Park. He and his wife were members of the Protestant Evangelical Church in their community, and he served forty years as its treasurer. He died in June, 1922. He mar- ried Mary S. Barthelman, who was born on Puritas Road, Rockport Township, in 1858, and she survives her husband. Of the children, Henry G., of this review, is the eldest; Frederick William owns and operates a greenhouse at North Olmsted, this county; Anna K. remains with her widowed mother; and the youngest of the number is John C., who is now associated with his eldest brother, Henry G., as a member of the Henry G. Reitz Engineering Company.
John C. Reitz was graduated from the Case School of Applied Sciences, as a member of the class of 1913, with the degree of Civil Engineer. He served with the United States military forces on the Mexican border, and in the World war he was for ten months in service with the American Expeditionary Forces in France, he having received commission as cap- tain. He was for some time engineer for the City of West Park.
Henry G. Reitz was born in the same house as was his father and was reared on the old home farm. He was a member of the first class to be graduated in the West Park High School, in 1901. In 1906 he received from Case School of Applied Sciences the degree of Bachelor of Science, and in 1913 that institution conferred upon him also the degree of Civil Engineer. The first engineering service given by Mr. Reitz was with the engineering department of the City of Cleve- land, with which he continued his connection twelve years. In 1917 he became village engineer of West Park, and in 1919 he was elected mayor of that village, whch obtained a city charter in 1921, and of which he became the first mayor under the charter. He was the incumbent of this office at the time when West Park became a part of the City of Cleveland, and thus he has the distinction of having been the first and the last mayor of the little City of West Park.
Mr. Reitz was one of the organizers and is secretary and treasurer of the Riverside Greenhouse Company; he was one of the organizers and is a director of the Cleveland Motor Car Sales Company; he is treasurer of the Thrift Savings & Loan Company, in the organization of which he assisted; and was one of the organizers of the United Greenhouse Company, and treasurer of the company.
Mr. Reitz is a member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, the Cleveland Chamber of Industry, the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Association of Engineers, the Cleveland Engineering Soci-
Vol. III-13
194
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
ety, the Cleveland Yacht Club, the Lakewood Country Club, the Western Reserve Club, the League of Republican Clubs, and the Protestant Emmanuel Evangelical Church. He is a member of North Star Lodge No. 638, Free and Accepted Masons; West Park Chapter No. 214, Royal Arch Masons (of which he was high priest in 1920) ; Forest City Council No. 111, Royal and Select Masters; Forest City Commandery No. 40, Knights Templar; Lake Erie Consistory, Scottish Rite (thirty-second degree) ; Al Koran Temple, Mystic Shrine; Al Sirat Grotto; the Tall Cedars of Lebanon, and the Order of Rameses.
On June 7, 1911, Mr. Reitz married Miss Clara Herthneck, daughter of John and Christina (Baumgardner) Herthneck, of Brooklyn Town- ship, Cuyahoga County, and to them two daughters have been born, Edna Jayne and Jeanne Clare.
JOHN F. GOLDENBOGEN, county commissioner of Cuyahoga County, has been in close touch with public affairs in Cleveland for many years, and is widely known as a leader and prominent influence in the republican party of his home county and state. His official record has been one marked throughout by the highest efficiency and fidelity.
Mr. Goldenbogen has spent practically all his life in Cleveland, though he was born in Germany, September 8, 1864, and was brought to this country in 1866 by his parents, Frederick and Frederica (Wismar) Golden- bogen. They settled in Brooklyn Township, now the Seventh Ward of the City of Cleveland. Frederick Goldenbogen was a car builder by trade. For a number of years he was employed in the shops of the old Atlantic
and Western, now the Erie Railroad. Subsequently he was a foreman for the old Six Cent Street Railway. When electric power was substituted for the operation of that street car line he resigned. His death occurred in 1916, and his wife died when her son John was a small boy.
.John F. Goldenbogen acquired a public school education. When in his eighteenth year he went to work in the shipping department of the Peck, Stowe & Wilson Company, and two years later went with J. Herig & Sons, leaving there to become a clerk in the freight department of the Erie Railway at Cleveland. During the thirteen years he was in the railroad service he was several times promoted, and when he resigned was pre- sented with a handsome token of the high regard of his fellow employes and superiors.
In the meantime he had interested himself in public affairs and was building up a large personal influence in politics. In 1892 he was elected clerk of the Cleveland Board of Education, and served until a change occurred in the political makeup of the board. Following that he went to the City of Washington to become superintendent of the Document Room of the United States Senate, and held that office until 1908. He was appointed by his personal friend, the late Senator J. B. Foraker. On his return to Cleveland Mr. Goldenbogen was appointed clerk of the Board of County Commissioners, serving until January 1, 1915, when a change in politics of the board let him out. In January, 1915, he was elected secre- tary of the South Brooklyn Business Men's Association, and after several years in that work was appointed deputy auditor by Auditor Zangerle.
In 1922 the probate judge, county auditor and county recorder selected
195
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
Mr. Goldenbogen as a county commissioner to fill out the unexpired term of Fred Kohler, who had resigned to become mayor of Cleveland. He served under the appointment until the next general election in August, 1922, when he was chosen to fill out the unexpired term, until January 1, 1925.
Mr. Goldenbogen has a most interesting record of service in the repub- lican party of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County and the state. As a young man he was elected a member of the Republican County Central Committee, serving three years. He is a charter member of the Tippecanoe Club, and has served as president of the Ohio League of Republican Clubs, secretary of the Mckinley Club, treasurer of the South Side Republican Club, . treasurer of the Young Men's Republican Club, secretary of the Repub- lican Committee of Cuyahoga County and has been a delegate to various county and state republican conventions.
Mr. Goldenbogen is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Benevo- lent and Protective Order of Elks, the National Union and the American Insurance Union. Mr. Goldenbogen married Miss Minnie Wendell, daughter of Karl Wendell, who came to Cleveland from Chicago, where Mrs. Goldenbogen was born. To their union have been born the following children : Arthur, who married a Miss Schaaf, of Cleveland; Florence, who married Rudolph Groege, of Cleveland; John F., Jr., who married Bertha Booth, of West Jefferson, Ohio, and Miss Grace, at home.
HARVEY ELMER YODER, M. D. Among those whose names have figured prominently in connection with the medical profession of Cleveland during the past two decades and whose labors have proved most valuable and effective both in private practice and in hospital work is Dr. Harvey Elmer Yoder, whose career is typical of modern progress and advancement. Since 1904 his professional service has been discharged with a keen sense of conscientious obligation, and his skill is evidenced through results which have followed his labors.
Doctor Yoder was born on the old Yoder farm near North Industry, Stark County, Ohio, March 20, 1877, and is a son of Samuel and Mollie (Schaeffer) Yoder. Samuel Yoder was born in Wayne County, Ohio, September 17, 1843, the son of Eli Yoder, a native of Pennsylvania, who was a pioneer of Wayne County, as well as of Stark County, to which latter he removed when Samuel Yoder was still a boy. Samuel Yoder, in early days, was a merchant at North Industry, but in the main has been engaged in agricultural operations, and his farm is one of the best improved prop- erties in Stark County. He is a man of good citizenship, personal probity and public spirit, and has the full confidence and esteem of the people of his community, who have recognized and appreciate his numerous good qualities. The mother of Doctor Yoder was born on a farm in Stark County, January 31, 1848, the daughter of an early settler of the North Industry neighborhood, and she died in 1920. Her mother was a native of Strasburg, France, who came to the United States when she was a girl of twelve years.
Harvey Elmer Yoder was reared on the old homestead, and in the mean- time acquired his primary education in the district school in the neighbor- hood of the home place and the public school at North Industry. In
196
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
September, 1895, he entered Hiram College, where he took his high school course and one year of college work, and then spent one year at the Ohio State University. Four years at the Western Reserve Medical School fol- lowed, and in 1904 he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. On leaving the university he spent one year as interne at St. Johns Hos- pital, Cleveland, and then entered general practice in the offices which he now occupies at 8900 Lorain Avenue, corner of Eighty-ninth Street. He has built up a large and representative practice, and has been given the confidence of the people of his community, while from his professional brethren he has received the respectful treatment given only to those who observe the highest ideals of the profession. Doctor Yoder is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Fraternally he is affiliated with Guyer Lodge No. 728, Knights of Pythias, and the Phi Rho Sigma college fraternity. His religious connection is with Bethany congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. On October 29, 1918, Doctor Yoder was commissioned a first lieutenant in the United States Army Medical Corps, and was on duty at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, when the armistice was signed marking the close of hostilities.
Doctor Yoder was united in marriage with Miss Blanche Lash, daughter of David F. Lash, of Bolivar, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and they have two daughters : Doris Ruth, who was born December 16, 1915; and Virginia Eleanor, who was born May 28, 1917. The pleasant family residence of Doctor and Mrs. Yoder is located at No. 2141 West Ninety-eighth Street.
ERNST C. SCHWAN, whose offices are in the Cuyahoga Building, is one of the veteran members of the Cleveland bar, a man distinguished by his professional attainments, by his earnest and high minded citizenship and the scholarly talents that are a tradition in his family.
Mr. Schwan was born in the old Schwan family home on Oregon Street, near East Ninth Street, in Cleveland. He is a son of the late Henry C. Schwan, who was born at Horneburg, near Hanover, Germany, in 1819. Mr. Schwan's father and grandfather were Lutheran ministers. Henry C. Schwan was a graduate of the University of Jena, was ordained to the Lutheran ministry, and was soon sent as a missionary to South America, being stationed at Bahia in Brazil, where he remained until 1848. Coming to the United States by sailing vessel, he landed at New Orleans and by boat came up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, where he assumed his duties as a Lutheran pastor.
Rev. Henry C. Schwan came to Cleveland in 1857, and for upwards of half a century was a resident of the city, and became one of the most promi- nent men in the Lutheran Church of America. He was for nearly twenty years pastor of the St. Zion Lutheran Evangelical Church, resigning the pastorate in 1876 when he was elected president of the Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other states, the jurisdiction of which included all of the United States and Canada. However, he retained his residence in Cleveland and remained as president of the synod until 1904, when he retired. The death of this eminent official of the Lutheran Church occurred in 1905.
His wife was Emma Bluhm, who was born near Bahia, Brazil. Her
197
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
father had come from Germany and settled in Brazil, where he became owner of a large coffee plantation near Bahia, operating with slave labor. His descendants are still living in Brazil. Mrs. Henry C. Schwan died in 1915. She reared a family of eight children : Paul, Louis M., Ernst C., Charles J., George H., Fred, Emma and Hannah. George H. Schwan has had many of the honors of the legal profession, having been respectively United States commissioner, judge of the Police Court and judge of the Common Pleas Court. He has long been a member of the firm of E. C. & George H. Schwan. Ernst C. Schwan first attended the Lutheran parochial schools in Cleveland, then the public schools and the Lutheran College at Fort Wayne, Indiana. On returning to Cleveland he took up the study of law in the office of Leonard Case and later with Judge Cleveland, and was admitted to the bar in 1877. He has been continuously in practice since that year, and has successfully looked after the interests of a large clientage. He is a member of the Cleveland Bar Association and served four years on the City Council.
He married in 1877 Katherine Faust, a native of Cleveland. Mr. and Mrs. Schwan are the parents of six children. Ernst H., Lottie, Agnes, Ethel, Vera and Theodore. The son Ernst married a Miss Wannamaker, and their three children are Philip, Susan and Katherine. Lottie is the wife of Charles Herzer, their four children being Miriam, Ernst Karl, Robert and Charles. Agnes married Edward Parshall and has a son James, and the family live in Hudson, Ohio. Ethel is the wife of Rev. Harry Bergen, their two children being Robert and Jay. Vera married C. W. Cuddy, and is living in Boston, Massachusetts.
WALTER MARTIN BUCHER, B. S., M. D. Among the successful members of the Cleveland medical profession who have won high standing both as physicians and surgeons and also as worth-while men and citi- zens is Dr. Walter M. Bucher, who has been in the private practice of his profession for the last ten years.
He was born at Tiffin, Ohio, on June 5, 1886, the son of C. Theo- dore and Anna (Liechti) Bucher, both natives of Switzerland. His father was born in 1840, and came to the United States when he was . & young man of twenty-two years, his first location being at St. Louis, Missouri, where he met his wife, who was born in 1844, and came to this country when she was sixteen years of age. They were married in St. Louis in 1872. Later they made their home in Tiffin, Ohio, where on September 20, 1922, they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. For many years the father was engaged in structural iron work, but is now retired from active business life. The parents are members of the Reformed Church.
Doctor Bucher was reared at Tiffin, and was graduated from high school in 1903. He was graduated from Heidelberg University, Bachelor of Science, with the class of 1907, and then entered the medical depart- ment of Western Reserve University, where he was graduated Doctor of Medicine with the class of 1911. During the years of 1910 and 1911 he served as interne at Fairview Hospital, Cleveland, and during the years of 191.1 and 1912 he served in the same capacity in Cleveland City Hospital. In 1913 he was given charge of the Warrensville Tuber-
198
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
culosis Sanatorium, and from 1914 to 1922 he was medical inspector of the city schools of Cleveland, from which latter position he resigned in order to give all of his time to private practice, which by that time had grown to such extent that it required his undivided attention.
Doctor Bucher is a member of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha college fraternity, Ellbrook Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; John K. Corwin Chapter, Royal Arch Ma- sons; Forest City Commandery, Knights Templar ; Al Koran Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; the Grotto, and of South Brooklyn Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and Glenn Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Eighth Reformed Church. He is also a member of the Cleveland Athletic Club and of Sleepy Hollow Country Club.
Doctor Bucher married Miss Rena Richards, the daughter of Judge and Jenny (Harding) Richards, of Clyde, Ohio, and to them two daugh- ters have been born: Betty, born in 1918, and Joan, born in 1922.
ISIDOR C. NUNN conducts at 2041 East Eighty-ninth Street an under- taking business that has been in three successive generations of the family at different locations in Cleveland.
Isidor C. Nunn was born at his father's home on Woodland Avenue in Cleveland. His grandfather was born in Baden, Germany, was reared and educated there, served an apprenticeship at the cabinet maker's trade, and in 1851 came to the United States by a sailing vessel that was forty-two days on the water. He landed in New York and soon came to Cleveland. He followed his trade as a cabinet maker. At that time the cabinet maker was almost invariably a coffin maker, since coffins were then ordered as needed from some local cabinet making shop. In time he established him- self in business as a coffin maker on Lorain Street in what was then Ohio City, and subsequently combined the service of an undertaker. He is now living retired at the venerable age of ninety-two. His wife was a Miss Miller, also a native of Baden, Germany, and she died many years ago.
One of their nine children is John I. Nunn, who was born in Cleveland in 1860, and as a youth began assisting his father and later started in busi -- ness on his own account on Woodland, near Wilson Avenue, a property he leased from John D. Rockefeller. The Nunn undertaking quarters were on Woodland Avenue for a number of years and subsequently were moved to 2347 East Fifty-fifth Street, and later to 2041 East Eighty-ninth Street. John I. Nunn married Mary Lenze, a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsyl- vania, and daughter of Casper and Theresa (Knowles) Lenze, who came to this country from Alsace-Lorraine. John I. Nunn and wife had four children : Isidor C., Alardus J., Olga and Wanda. Alga married Peter Murphy, and Wanda is the wife of Chester Gynn.
Isidor C. Nunn was educated in public and parochial schools, including the Central High School at Cleveland, and finished his literary education in Notre Dame University at South Bend, Indiana. For one year he studied law in Cleveland, but gave up further progress in that profession to become associated with his father in the undertaking business, and is now the manager of the establishment on Eighty-ninth Street.
199
THE CITY OF CLEVELAND
In 1910 he married Miss Anna L. Richard, who was born at Ripley, Ohio, daughter of Emil P. and Elizabeth Richard. They have three chil- dren, John R., Robert C. and William. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Loyal Order of Moose.
GIUSEPPE TANNO, M. D. A Cleveland physician and surgeon engaged in practice here for nearly twenty years, Doctor Tanno has also been a leader among his Italian countrymen in this city.
He was born in Rapalimosani, Italy, March 12, 1877, a·son of Luigi and Lucia (Iammarino) Tanno. His parents came to America in 1908, and spent the rest of their lives in Cleveland, where his mother died in 1913 and his father in 1918.
Doctor Tanno was liberally educated in Italy, attending the gymnasium or high school of his native city, and in 1902 received the degree in medicine from the University of Naples. He soon afterward came to the United States and Cleveland, in 1903, and in 1904 successfully passed the Ohio State Medical Board of Examiners and in the same year engaged in gen- eral practice at Cleveland. His offices from the beginning have been at 12110 Mayfield Road. For a number of years he has had a reputation as a specialist in obstetrics. He is a member of the various medical societies and is prominent in the Order of the Sons of Italy. In religion he is a Catholic.
Doctor Tanno married Miss Lettzia Iammarino, a native of Italy. They have four children, Lucy, Louis, Anthony and Rose.
A brother and active associate in medical practice at Cleveland of Dr. G. Tanno is Victor Lucius Tanno. He was born March 4, 1892, and came to America in boyhood. He finished his medical education in Western Reserve University in 1918 and at once became associated with his brother. He is a member of the ear, nose and throat staff at the Lakeside Hospital Dispensary and belongs to the various medical associations and the Order of the Sons of Italy.
JOHN WESLEY STONE. The career of John Wesley Stone, one of Cleveland's successful merchants, was for years a progressive overcoming of difficulties, and a gradual advancement and improvement of his abilities for the responsibilities of the next higher plane. Mr. Stone for thirty years was in business in Cleveland, coming here after spending several years in general merchandising.
He was born at Ashland, Ashland County, Ohio, June 22, 1865, son of Richard R. and Elizabeth (Winemiller) Stone. His father was born in Canada, of English parents. His mother was a native of Ohio, of German ancestry. Richard R. Stone came to Ohio in 1860, and married in Ashland County, but subsequently returned to Canada.
John Wesley Stone in 1872 returned to Ohio from Toronto, Canada, and for several years made his home with his maternal grandfather, Jacob Winemiller, who lived on a farm between Galion and Mansfield. At the age of ten years Mr. Stone went to the home of James Crow in the same neighborhood. With this man it was arranged that he was to work for wages of eight dollars a month during the summer, and while attending
200
CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND
school in the winter would pay his board by doing chores. That winter he walked night and morning to a country school house two miles away. The following spring he was working on the farm of Jacob Pletcher in the same neighborhood, at wages of $12 a month, and with similar school privi- leges, though with his new employer he had to walk three and one-half miles to school. In 1878, being then thirteen years of age, he went to work for L. T. Ross, a farmer in Lorain County. Mr. Ross paid him $15 a month, and during the winter he milked cows for a dairy farmer for his board and schooling. The year 1879 found him on the farm of E. C. Winchel, a mile and one-half from Wellington, and during the next winter he attended the Wellington High School. During the summer he worked on the farm of William P. Ledgard in Lorain County, and in the fall went to live with his uncle, Samuel Davis, at Ashland, and during the winter completed a course and received a diploma at the Ashland Business College. While in college he worked on Saturdays in the dry good store of J. J. Shumacher, who later offered him a permanent place in the store. He remained with that establishment a year and a half, spending much of his spare time in the office of Doctor Sampsell, reading medicine. At that time he was making an effort by experiment to determine a permanent choice between a professional or a business career. In the fall of 1886 Mr. Stone and his cousin, Samuel Davis, Jr., engaged in merchandising at Rows, Ashland County. For two years they conducted a general store, handling all the goods required in a country community. They supple- mented their local business by operating a wagon over the rural district, trading merchandise for butter and eggs.
In 1888 Mr. Stone sold his interest to his partner, and, going to Mans- field, had practically accepted a position with the Boston Dry Goods Com- pany. Before beginning duties he took a brief vacation in Cleveland, and in passing the store of John Meckes on Pearl Street his attention was attracted by a display of goods, and going inside to look around he met the manager, with the result that a week later he was at work in that store. This was the beginning of his Cleveland experience, and he remained with the Meckes store`until 1893.
Need help finding more records? Try our genealogical records directory which has more than 1 million sources to help you more easily locate the available records.